PDA

View Full Version : Meeting your heroes ...

The Harp
16-08-2012, 05:10 AM
I had the pleasure of having a chat with a real Hibs legend yesterday, the one and only Lawrie Reilly. I was like a kid at Christmas because I’d only spoken to him briefly at book signings etc at ER previously.
Have to say what a lovely man – 83 years young, bright as a button, and still dedicated to the Hibs and with his sense of humour still intact. I hope he’s with us for many, many more years.
God bless you Lawrie – you made my day.:not worth

cocopops1875
16-08-2012, 06:43 AM
He is top class we had the pleasure of meeting him and getting a team photo ( with our 5s side ) he was full of the chat, him and his Mrs were very funny when we asked about his availability for Sunday nights

Stantons Angel
16-08-2012, 06:46 PM
Lawrie is the perfect ambassador for his club. A true gentleman with a vast experience of just what a football player in a Hibs jersey should be.

He is one of the true footballers i would say have an insight into what it takes to play for the Hibs and how proud a player should be to wear that jersey.

Playing in the famous five line up years ago would not have given him the wealth and security that modern day footballers have. Just imagine what he would be worth financially in terms of transfer fees if he was playing to his ability these days.

Both he and his lovely wife Iris are always willing to speak to fans and have picutres taken too.

God BLess him, he's a hibby!

Pretty Boy
16-08-2012, 06:56 PM
Lawrie is a true gent. A top guy who has time for supporters young and old.

I had the great pleasure of meeting many Hibs legends when I was a young boy. Lawrie, Gordon Smith, Eddie Turnbull, Joe Baker, Pat Stanton, Alan Gordon, Alex Cropley and many others but sadly was far too young to really appreciate who I was speaking to or being photogrpahed with.

lyonhibs
16-08-2012, 07:03 PM
Chatted briefly and got my photo with the original "He's here, he's there, he's every f***ing where" Mickey Weir at London Hibs Burns night bash last year. An absolute gent, and I was a bit starstruck despite now being several inches taller than him.

Sober as a judge on the night, which is more than one could have said for Kano....... :greengrin

Hibs On Tour
17-08-2012, 12:37 PM
Another nod to Lawrie Reilly. Had the pleasure of his company at our table in matchday hospitality one time v Dundee Utd when the company I was with at the time were match ball sponsors. Great company, great knowledge and good to see that although his love for the Hibees shone through like no-one's business, he was still honest about things and said it how it was. Fantastic guy and imo THE role model not just for any young Hibs players but for any young players full stop.

PS - tried to put Lawrie down for Man of the Match that game but they wouldn't let me! :greengrin

yekimevol
18-08-2012, 12:12 AM
got to meet gordon smith two or three times was a really nice guy, chatted about football for nearly an hour with me dispite the fact i was only about 13. Meet murray still a firm favourite with me. then the fallen from grace riordan.

But the top has to have been mogga, was in the executive and wait an hour for his autograph and my wee sister must have been 5ish was fuming about waiting and bluntly told him so. Tonys reply was im sorry pet is their anything i can do for you and we had a drink in the west, well not tony as he was t-total.

Squealing pig
18-08-2012, 12:20 AM
Chased latapy round b and q for his autograph in Falkirk

Hibercelona
18-08-2012, 01:02 AM
Chased latapy round b and q for his autograph in Falkirk

I'm sure you had no problem catching up with him. :greengrin

Beefster
18-08-2012, 06:52 AM
I still drone on about the day I sat next to Mr Reilly at hospitality. The man and his stories made the day infinitely greater. Absolutely legend.

jodjam
18-08-2012, 06:59 AM
Few years back during the Festival Cup game I met LR. It was the game that got altered to commemorate Gordon Smith. I was taking part in the HT challenge at the PBS and was ready to come onto the pitch in full Hibs gear. The old stars of the past were being introduced one at a time and I walked on with LR. What a feeling. Mind you the majority of the crowd booed him but it was a great experience.