PDA

View Full Version : Muchas gracias amigos!!!!

RamblingJack
15-08-2012, 05:48 PM
Thanks for your advice and help in my last thread 'Questions about Edinburgh',one more thing guys where is the best place for me to buy a kilt? I don't want to pay silly money. thanks.

Scouse Hibee
15-08-2012, 05:52 PM
Thanks for your advice and help in my last thread 'Questions about Edinburgh',one more thing guys where is the best place for me to buy a kilt? I don't want to pay silly money. thanks.

You really do get what you pay for, if you want a good quality kilt that will last for years then you need to pay for it. If you want a cheap imported version to wear as a novelty then one of the tartan tat shops will do for you.

Of course as an Englishman I don't own a kilt and have never worn one, my experience comes from getting one for my born and bred in Scotland son :greengrin

Frazerbob
17-08-2012, 09:42 AM
I have two kilts. One I bought from www.21stcenturykilts.com which I got 15 years ago or so. It's been through the wars and worn at least 15 times a year but it's still in decent nick. Howie, the owner, is the son of the guy that owns Geoffrey Taylor on the high street and pioneered the non tartan kilts a few years back. Very good quality but also very expensive.

I got married this year so invested in a new kilt. This time I went to www.kinlochanderson.com down Leith. They made my Dad's kilt 40 years ago and it is still in perfect nick, although I don't think it's seen anything like the nonesence my kilt has! They put a reference number on the kilt which relates to your own personal record so that, if at any point in the future you need anything else or repairs etc, they know exactly which tartan it is and which weaver it came from. The same tartan can look slightly different depending on who made it. They still had my Dad's records so I could get an indentical match to his kilt.

For your acceseroies go here www.sporranmaker.com They are a wee place in Southside who supply sporrans, belts etc to trade. They will also make made to measure stuff for private sales at a fraction of the prices in shops. It's been there for years and is an elderly father and his son's business. It's just a wee grey, really old looking shop front with no signage on the right hand side of Causwayside if you're heading out of town. Great quality, traditional and cracking value. They still do seal skin products as well. They made my first sporran and belt for my 18th birthday and they are still going strong....I'm nearly 40!

Frazerbob
17-08-2012, 09:44 AM
I forgot to say, do not go near the "tartan tatt" shops on the High Street. Their fake kilts are a disgrace. They cheapen the tradition, look dreadfull, don't last and are a fire hazzard!