PDA

View Full Version : I Miss

Gatecrasher
15-08-2012, 12:09 PM
There have been a lot of changes around Hibs and ER, What do you miss about attending games in the past that are no longer around on match days?

i Miss:

The green and white popcorn they used to sell.
The odd wiff of wacky backy in the old East
The opera singer guy at the back of the East that used to shout "come one ma Bonny Boys"

Chuck Rhoades
15-08-2012, 12:10 PM
There have been a lot of changes around Hibs and ER, What do you miss about attending games in the past that are no longer around on match days?

i Miss:

The opera singer guy at the back of the East that used to shout "come one ma Bonny Boys"

Is he still around?

hibeedonald
15-08-2012, 12:11 PM

i Miss:

The old east stand

HibbyAndy
15-08-2012, 12:11 PM
I miss the old East.

Wembley67
15-08-2012, 12:12 PM
a winning team.

SaulGoodman
15-08-2012, 12:14 PM
"Bobby Williamsons Green and White army"

Hibs Class
15-08-2012, 12:15 PM
I miss the old East.

I miss the old, old east - the high sweeping terrace which was open to all the elements but which gave fantastic views and, when full, had a cracking atmosphere, back in the day when segregation was set only by on which side of the stairways opposing fans stood.

JimBHibees
15-08-2012, 12:16 PM
Is he still around?

Yep was in the FF Upper last season.

Spike Mandela
15-08-2012, 12:16 PM
- walking around terracing to watch second half from different position.
- Shooting doon the slope.
- atmosphere
- fanzines

Gatecrasher
15-08-2012, 12:18 PM
Yep was in the FF Upper last season.He stood behind me in the old east, he is a good laugh he would sing a song and repeat it until everyone around joined in, I'm glad he still goes

Hibee87
15-08-2012, 12:20 PM
green and white popcorn man i forgot all wbout that they were well nice as a child. I may be dreaming but im sure i remeber getting nachos in the FF wit that rank cheese sauce you get like from the pictures and they called it 'tortolanos tortila chips' :confused:

Sean1875
15-08-2012, 12:20 PM
The old East. Place just doesnt feel the same :boo hoo:

Broken Gnome
15-08-2012, 12:21 PM
The old TV gantry. East Stand came down after a 1-1 draw with St. Johnstone on February 27th 2010. We have won eight home league matches since the cameras were put in the West. It's clearly to blame for all our recent troubles.

Pretty Boy
15-08-2012, 12:21 PM
Mass Hibsteria.
The old style pies that had that yellowish green.grease on top.
The old ER announcer. Mumble, mumble, mumble Keeeeeeeeeith Wright, mumble, mumble, mumble.

HibsNutter
15-08-2012, 12:24 PM
The shed and attendances reaching 15-16,000 most home games under the mowbray era.

Thecat23
15-08-2012, 12:34 PM
Football! :cb

ahibby
15-08-2012, 12:45 PM
I don't miss the pessimism hanging over me and others that was there/here only last week.

calumhibee1
15-08-2012, 12:47 PM
Watching us rip teams apart on the break. The old east. Crowds being significantly bigger than they are now for every game.

darwenhibby
15-08-2012, 12:50 PM
Football! :cb
Sauzee!!
All ma pals u used to go on the train to the games with. Now they never ask me. Fancy friends for ye!!

steakbake
15-08-2012, 12:51 PM
The crowd getting expectantly onto their feet in the old east.

darrenmcintosh2
15-08-2012, 12:54 PM
I miss hibs.net first post in a long long time. Hopefully first of many.

steakbake
15-08-2012, 12:57 PM
Macar on h.net.

Thecat23
15-08-2012, 01:01 PM
Being honest here, When I was a kid and my dad would take me to ER my heart was pounding just getting in the car. Seeing the old flood lights in the distance and knowing I'm nearing the ground was simply special. I was 9 years old at my first game. Midweek it was against Dumbarton. When we scored my dad lifted me up cheering. To this day it remains one of the best moments of my life. He said "I told you the hairs on your neck would stand up". he was spot on.

I miss that, but the odd game still gives me that feeling, last min goals when we look down and out, and obviously the derbies. I now see the young ones coming through with their families and think back to when it was me. I now have a boy myself who's 2. I honestly don't know who will be more excited him or me when I take him through those turnstiles. When that goal goes in I'll say the same thing my dad said to me, because you know the hairs on you're neck do stand on end. So what I miss I think I'll get back very soon.

:flag:

Hibercelona
15-08-2012, 01:02 PM
I miss the days I was never around to see. :boo hoo:

Big Frank
15-08-2012, 01:04 PM
Terracing.

The East (without the seats).

LeighLoyal
15-08-2012, 01:19 PM
Sauzee, Latapy, McGinlay, Laursen, Mixu (the player), Matty Jack, Crunchie, Keef Wright, Scotty B, Zouma, Benji...

And having a stash in the bank!

Hermit Crab
15-08-2012, 01:30 PM
Without doubt the old east, I really loved my time in there as a S/T holder. Good times..........., gone forever.

steviehibsleith
15-08-2012, 01:31 PM
Budgie !

Kojock
15-08-2012, 01:31 PM
Great European nights against class opposition like Liverpool, Leeds United, Juventus, Sporting Lisbon etc and knowing there was a chance we could win. :boo hoo:

Zander
15-08-2012, 01:32 PM
European glory nights when we beat the likes of Sporting Lisbon, Barcelona, Liverpool, Napoli

(Hot Shot, you beat me to it)

sleeping giant
15-08-2012, 01:33 PM
I miss the wee 10p gambling cards you could get in the Hibs club in the 70's.
You would tear off the 3 strips to reveal your prize.
I mind winning £4 for 3 bells when i was 8 or 9.:greengrin

I miss playing football on the hibs club dance floor with a ties up scarf.
I miss going to the matches with my Dad.
I miss getting juice and crisps any time one of the adults went to get a round in:greengrin

down-the-slope
15-08-2012, 01:34 PM
The old east stand

I miss the old East.

The old East. Place just doesnt feel the same :boo hoo:

Terracing.

The East (without the seats).

:agree:

Without doubt the old east, I really loved my time in there as a S/T holder. Good times..........., gone forever.

To others...which East are you talking about :rolleyes:

down-the-slope
15-08-2012, 01:34 PM
The Green Pakora :greengrin proper Leith Grub

hibsbollah
15-08-2012, 01:43 PM
I don't miss anything. This is the golden age :agree:

Its always easy to get the rosetinted specs out, but the mid80s was a crap time for fitba.

Kato
15-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Great European nights against class opposition like Liverpool, Leeds United, Juventus, Sporting Lisbon etc and knowing there was a chance we could win. :boo hoo:

Hell yeah. There was even some European opposition that were a class below who you knew Hibs were going to steam roller.

I miss both versions of the Old East, covered and uncovered but times move on.

The Pink News, got your fingers manky.

Bobby Seith.

Arthur Duncan's Amazing Ability To Entertain (with and without the ball.)

Seemingly hopeless crosses being guided into the net by Alan Gordon's head.

Opposition midfields being made to look like they were running backwards as Pat Stanton glided past them.

Gordon Rae's Passion.

Lurks
15-08-2012, 01:51 PM
I miss the green popcorn as well. Used to get a spare bag for my play piece in primary school. Absolutely gutted when they stopped it.

DarrenSQH
15-08-2012, 02:01 PM
Watching the game at a Hibs Kids day with my dad, plenty kids banging their hands on the back of the stand and high pitched hibees shouts, Then going home and going with him to the shops to get a pink newspaper because i knew i could get lemon bonbons. (the old good ones that were hard and had loads of powder coating on them) Being allowed to stay up until sportscene which only had 1 game and eating sweets with my dad. Happy times when your under 10.

Banging your feet in the old west to make a noise was fun as a kid too.

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-08-2012, 02:15 PM
Casualettes!

itchy07
15-08-2012, 02:15 PM
Being honest here, When I was a kid and my dad would take me to ER my heart was pounding just getting in the car. Seeing the old flood lights in the distance and knowing I'm nearing the ground was simply special. I was 9 years old at my first game. Midweek it was against Dumbarton. When we scored my dad lifted me up cheering. To this day it remains one of the best moments of my life. He said "I told you the hairs on your neck would stand up". he was spot on.

I miss that, but the odd game still gives me that feeling, last min goals when we look down and out, and obviously the derbies. I now see the young ones coming through with their families and think back to when it was me. I now have a boy myself who's 2. I honestly don't know who will be more excited him or me when I take him through those turnstiles. When that goal goes in I'll say the same thing my dad said to me, because you know the hairs on you're neck do stand on end. So what I miss I think I'll get back very soon.

The hairs on the back of my neck are standing up just reading this. Time to take my own boy to his first match. I've put it off to long.

Thecat23
15-08-2012, 02:21 PM
The hairs on the back of my neck are standing up just reading this. Time to take my own boy to his first match. I've put it off to long.

Good man, I bet he loves it as well. :agree:

Hibby_Huddy
15-08-2012, 02:22 PM
2nd half playing down the slope with all to play for. Bliss.

DevonLoch
15-08-2012, 02:23 PM
Hell yeah. There was even some European opposition that were a class below who you knew Hibs were going to steam roller.

I miss both versions of the Old East, covered and uncovered but times move on.

The Pink News, got your fingers manky.

Bobby Seith.

Arthur Duncan's Amazing Ability To Entertain (with and without the ball.)

Seemingly hopeless crosses being guided into the net by Alan Gordon's head.

Opposition midfields being made to look like they were running backwards as Pat Stanton glided past them.

Gordon Rae's Passion.

All of that! :agree:

European nights under the floodlights when I was allowed to stay up late and go with my dad

Getting a lift over the turnstiles!

The crowds packed in on the old East stand in the late 60's/70's and streaming out after the final whistle - a mass of green & white

Fish supper after the game on the way home

Happy days! :greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-08-2012, 02:25 PM
Politti's on Albert Street after the game!

HibeeN
15-08-2012, 02:38 PM
The buzz of excitement that filled the stadium when Konte got the ball :agree:

shadyhibs
15-08-2012, 02:44 PM
not so much the home ties but away games in europe..........videoton will always be my favourite :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
15-08-2012, 02:56 PM
My original seat in the Old West just behind Frank Dougan, as a newcomer I found him to be highly amusing and informative.

PatHead
15-08-2012, 02:57 PM
The old scoreboard where you had to have a programme to work out who was playing who.

Players who you could relate to as they were real Hibs fans representing their own.

3 o'clock kick offs on a Saturday. Home one week, away the next and only playing other teams at home once unless you drew them in the cup. Sad thing is you knew who their players were as they lasted more than a season and were all Scottish, they didn't even have names on strips.

All nostalgic now think I'll go home and dig out my old Topical Times football annuals.

down-the-slope
15-08-2012, 03:05 PM
Half time scores being put up 'cricket' style on the old board

Macroon bars being sold by random blokes on the terrace

When avoiding P*sh meant watching your feet not averting your eyes from the pitch

Billy Whizz
15-08-2012, 03:07 PM
The old songs played before the game,
Glory Glory to the Hibees
Hibee Hibernian (when I was 5 my daddy took me down to Easter Rd)

Bad Martini
15-08-2012, 03:08 PM
Winning.

Turning over the yams, huns and celtic.

The old East.

The bampots who used to rule our defence.

Real characters like Eddie Turnbull.

When it was Ok to say that's ***** and ye need to improve ya overpaid tossers.
When it was Ok to say that's braw and we're the mental hibees.

Glory Glory

ENDOF.

Persevere80
15-08-2012, 03:13 PM
- walking around terracing to watch second half from different position.
- Shooting doon the slope.
- atmosphere
- fanzines

Loved the freedom of being able to stand about at the back of the east and a cheeky smoke outside at halftime.

Persevere80
15-08-2012, 03:18 PM
Oh aye and the golden generation that played the free flowing football that we use to be known for.

sleeping giant
15-08-2012, 03:21 PM
New Years Day games:flag:

Mark79
15-08-2012, 03:28 PM
I miss brian kerrs unseen work in the midfield.

Hermit Crab
15-08-2012, 03:32 PM

To others...which East are you talking about :rolleyes:

Ah well the old east terracing with a roof before and after seats were installed ;)

Bobby's Cinema
15-08-2012, 03:34 PM
The old East. The buzz walking to ER every single week during the Mowbray days. Beating the ****bos. Sauzee

Hibernia&Alba
15-08-2012, 04:05 PM
As everyone else has said, the atmosphere of the old east is sadly missed, but I do like the view from the new stand due to its steepness

A regular Mass Hibsteria - bring it back, guys

Capacity crowds for big games

Mary Hinge
15-08-2012, 04:12 PM
I miss.......

The European games when we had a chance of winning,

The sweep on the supporters bus when the players were numbered 1 to 11,

Sitting outside the Cockatoo in the car being fed continuously on coke and crisps before the white knuckle ride to Easter Road which started at 2:45pm !!!,

The bag of chips from the Deep Sea on the way home,

Standing at the half way line at the kick-off and only moving when we knew which way Hibs were kicking,

Changing ends at half time,

Herriot, Brownlie, Schaedler - Stanton, Black, Blackley - Edwards, O'Rourke, Gordon, Cropley and Duncan,

Saorsa
15-08-2012, 04:23 PM
Terracing.

The East (without the seats).:agree:

Lucius Apuleius
15-08-2012, 04:31 PM
Herriot, Brownlie, Schaedler - Stanton, Black, Blackley - Edwards, O'Rourke, Gordon, Cropley and Duncan,

:boo hoo::boo hoo::boo hoo::boo hoo::boo hoo::boo hoo::boo hoo:

Cabbage East
15-08-2012, 04:31 PM
The old east.

Saturday 3pm home derbies/OF games.

Actually any Saturday 3pm home game.

blaikie
15-08-2012, 04:34 PM
Dense Rosa :(

shadyhibs
15-08-2012, 04:37 PM
mary hinge........would the white knuckle ride be in a certain davy pauls car per chance??

lord bunberry
15-08-2012, 04:54 PM
I miss the excitement i used to feel as soon as i woke up on a saturday watching saint and greivesy before heading up to the game far to early then after the game getting the pink before ending the day with sportscene

Hibernia&Alba
15-08-2012, 04:56 PM
I miss the excitement i used to feel as soon as i woke up on a saturday watching saint and greivesy before heading up to the game far to early then after the game getting the pink before ending the day with sportscene

Now that takes me back to my childhood. Football Focus on Grandstand and then turn over for Saint & Greavesie at 1.05 :aok:

whiskyhibby
15-08-2012, 04:57 PM
I miss the old, old east - the high sweeping terrace which was open to all the elements but which gave fantastic views and, when full, had a cracking atmosphere, back in the day when segregation was set only by on which side of the stairways opposing fans stood.

Same here!!

Wembley67
15-08-2012, 04:57 PM
Friends that are no longer with us.

Wembley67
15-08-2012, 04:58 PM
Now that takes me back to my childhood. Football Focus on Grandstand and then turn over for Saint & Greavesie at 1.05 :aok:

And the wrestling!

Jay
15-08-2012, 05:01 PM
I miss my dad sitting beside me and telling them how to do it better.

Golden Bear
15-08-2012, 05:10 PM
Changing ends at half time and the inevitable stramash on the half way line as the home support and the opposition fans "merged"!

:greengrin

AustinHibee
15-08-2012, 05:13 PM
Going to watch Hibs playing Napoli,4-1 doon fae the first leg,getting passed doon the front
and winning 5 nowt.
Bliss.

ShanksSaidNo
15-08-2012, 05:25 PM
Being honest here, When I was a kid and my dad would take me to ER my heart was pounding just getting in the car. Seeing the old flood lights in the distance and knowing I'm nearing the ground was simply special. Iamy life. He said "I told you the hairs on your neck would stand up". he was spot on.

I read that whole post to the tune of Hibee, Hibernian.

I miss tucking the end of my scarf into itself so i could wear it on my head.

Makaveli
15-08-2012, 05:26 PM

i Miss:

Popcorn and pakora at half time in the old west = unbeatable. Then after the game, stop in for a bag of Easter Road Rock from the wee sweet shop up the road!

When I was about 6 and people would shout "that's f***in ******" (inevitably followed by "Tortolano") and I'd wonder why, thinking that it looked like quite a good kick. Being too young to discern would have been handy over the last few years. :agree:

And there's a guy near me in the East who still slyly puffs the green in his seat at HT. :cb

Waxy
15-08-2012, 05:44 PM
The old east standing.
Like Hibs 2 ****bos 1 in 1987.
23,000 odd at Hibs first derby win in years.
Remember us squeezing in like sardines and when Kano scored the place went berzerk and even more so at the final whistle.
ER will never see an atmosphere like it again probably.

Sammy7nil
15-08-2012, 05:50 PM
Deeks (1st time), Keith, Crunchie, Latapy, Darren J. Jim Leighton, Gogs Hunter, Gogs Rae, Jackie Mac, Jukebox, Joe Tortolano, Benny Brazil, John Collins, Willie Miller, Ian murray (1st time) Mickey Weir, Kano, Zemmama, Boozy, Michael O'Neill, Graham Mitchell, Neil Orr, Isaac, Suazee, Gary Smith,

Edwards, Cropley, O'Rourke, Stanton, Duncan, Des Bremner, Schades, Brownlee

Down the slope
Swapping ends at Ht
European nights in winter
Thinking we could win any game
Ripping in to teams when we were a goal down and turning the game around.
Leaving the stadium buzzing
Anticipation of the next game

EdinMike
15-08-2012, 05:54 PM
I miss the "concrete bunker" that was the old FF stand, My dad, My Bro and I used to sit there for our first few games when we were kids. I remember one of my really early games being more interested at squinting at the floodlights and "Making the light go aww funny" Than the game itself :greengrin

Then moved to the East before the seats when I'de sit on the bars and fall off everytime we scored...or was pushed off one or the two.

Put a wee smile on my face thinking about that :agree:

The_Horde
15-08-2012, 05:58 PM
The buzz in and around ER during the Mogga/JC days.

Putting my collar up on the 2005/6 top (with the badge on the back of the collar) and looking down the bus to see how many others had done the same.

Giving Hugh Dallas it tight

Giving wee fat bob (williamson) it tight.

Standing under the gantry in the newer old east.

Having to move your head to see round the pillars in the newer old east.

The smell of the old programs.

Sauzee.

Latapy.

Coming home from the games and trying to replicate what you'd just seen (complete with celebrations and commentary).

Hearing the results of every game in every division in the car on the way home, can't remember the name of the guy but his voice was iconic. ("falkirk nil, hamilton academicals two")

Keith_M
15-08-2012, 05:58 PM
Not ER but I miss standing in the covered terracings at away grounds, like I used to in the late 70's/80's. I know it might seem weird but I miss, for instance, the Motherwell shed, spilt down the middle; The part of the covered terraces at Firhill, Tannadice, Broomfield, etc.

Before we had a roof on the East Terrace, I enjoyed the away matches much more because we could create a decent atmosphere and have banter with the home fans (though usually through a fence)

PiemanP
15-08-2012, 06:01 PM
Definetly the old east (demolished in 2010 one). It was a shoddy stand still built on the old slope, and you couldn't see half the pitch from my old seat however it had atmosphere and character and a wee bit of freedom for fans to do what they wanted in it :greengrin Sadly the new stand, as impressive as it is, is just another lego stand.

I also miss going to easter road under the Mowbray and Collins era and knowing there would be goals, i remember loads of games where we scored 2,3 or even more regularly at home. I'm actualy scratching my head trying to think of the last time we scored two in a game!

The_Horde
15-08-2012, 06:04 PM
Definetly the old east (demolished in 2010 one). It was a shoddy stand still built on the old slope, and you couldn't see half the pitch from my old seat however it had atmosphere and character and a wee bit of freedom for fans to do what they wanted in it :greengrin Sadly the new stand, as impressive as it is, is just another lego stand.

I also miss going to easter road under the Mowbray and Collins era and knowing there would be goals, i remember loads of games where we scored 2,3 or even more regularly at home. I'm actualy scratching my head trying to think of the last time we scored two in a game!

I even miss getting frustrated on the days when we had all of the ball yet couldn't score, you always knew that there was a great chance we'd nick it with bit of magic in the last few minutes. We had our fair share of late comebacks in those days! :thumbsup:

erin go bragh
15-08-2012, 06:06 PM
I miss jumping about going mental when hibs scored , ending up almost 10 steps down from where you were standing .

ggtth

Eganov
15-08-2012, 06:09 PM
Slapping the frame of the gate on the way out of the old East

wazoo1875
15-08-2012, 06:14 PM
I miss big crowds for derbies and games against OF and Aberdeen, I miss the old terrace with a roof but nae seats, I miss Jackie Mac and Gordon Rae, I miss the old floodlights and the tiny wee club shop on Easter Rd, I miss looking for bits about Hibs in the topical times and shoot and I miss The Saint & Greavsie !!
I also miss thinking you'd win every time you went through the turnstiles or over them ;-)

Greentinted
15-08-2012, 06:20 PM
Being at the forefront of the proper Scottish matchday experience as described above in its many forms, as opposed to the over-priced, sanitised pish we (the thousands of Scottish football supporters), as a collective, have rolled over and meekly accepted in the name of 'progress'!

Fenriz
15-08-2012, 07:06 PM
I miss the disposable cagouls that they used to hand out in the old Family Enclosure when it rained.

iainm
15-08-2012, 07:17 PM
Seeing how quick I could run up the three flight of steps to get to the top of the terracing.... now it takes me an age to get up the steps from the concourse......

And packets of bacon flavour 'smax' from the 'refreshments' hut, and chocolate orange sweeties from the bloke walking round the track

Just Alf
15-08-2012, 07:31 PM

Aaaargh!

Was going to put this and looked all through the thread... Nothing.... Until 5 from the end and there's yours!

:D

The Harp
15-08-2012, 07:39 PM
I miss …
The old wooden north stand
The Connie Francis records that always seemed to be played before the games (Too Many Rules & Where the Boys Are)
The high uncovered terracing, where as school laddies in the 50's, we started our love affair wi’ the Hibs
The old half time scoreboard at the Dunbar end, and the guy in charge of it who frequently put up fictitious Yam half time scores to get us going
Watching reserve games from the enclosure under the old stand and the smell of liniment that wafted from the dressing rooms
The green dispatch (so much better than the pink news)
The old street singer wi’ the long brown overcoat and the shaky voice that stood at the Crawford footbridge at the end of Bothwell Street
Travelling to away games on the St Giles branch bus wi’ Bernie Glancy in charge – happy days!

Aldo
15-08-2012, 07:42 PM
Away days on the Independent East Coast Hibs Bus (quality times was it not J)

down-the-slope
15-08-2012, 07:59 PM
Ah well the old east terracing with a roof before and after seats were installed ;)

That was Cack..old open east was the Mutts...could not beleive how small the 'shed' seemed when terrace was mainly demolished and bit left roofed:rolleyes:

Saorsa
15-08-2012, 08:02 PM
Away days on the Independent East Coast Hibs Bus (quality times was it not J):aok:

BroxburnHibee
15-08-2012, 08:08 PM
Beastie Bus - what a blast those days were :greengrin

Gez1875
15-08-2012, 08:27 PM
attractive football

the smell of deep heat coming out of the wee window at the old west stand (every time i smell deep heat i get all nostalgic)

the sense of community (maybe cause i lost touch with a lot of people)

cheers, know i'm totally depressed.

edinburghhibee
15-08-2012, 11:52 PM
Going to the games with my old man, being lifted over the turnstiles, running up the stairs as quickly as I could just to wave at other family members in the north. My old man meeting and chatting with what seemed like hundreds of people and when I ask who's that he'd reply one of us. Capri sun at half time with a packet of opal fruits. Leaving the ground and being lifted up by the old yin to slap the frame like everyone else.

6-2, Latapy, O'neil, Sauzee, Leighton, Mixu, Luna, Zitelli, Crunchie, Keith...keith...keith...keith

The buzz before getting to ER... its just not there as strongly anymore...

Bill Milne
16-08-2012, 08:22 AM
I miss entering the ground at the Dunbar End, in the days before ground was developed, walking up the path behind the terracing and emerging beside the old scoreboard with the Holy Ground spread out before me.:flag:

Just_Jimmy
16-08-2012, 09:33 AM
The old East. Easter Road is souless now.

Being able to touch the gate as you left the East.

The feeling of anything could happen as a Hibs fan, it doesnt seem to have the 'mystery' to it anymore.

green glory
16-08-2012, 10:08 AM
The Cowgate and the hooped shirts. What's all this Easter Road and shirts with green body and white sleeves pish.

NORTHERNHIBBY
16-08-2012, 11:31 AM
The East and the bogs that worked because of gravity.

iwasthere1972
16-08-2012, 12:21 PM
Goals and winning games at Easter Road on a regular basis.

Keith_M
16-08-2012, 12:39 PM
Casualettes!

Beastie Bus - what a blast those days were :greengrin

Do you two know each other?

:dunno:

Hutchy, do you mean all of them or all except the really big lassie (can't remember her name)

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-08-2012, 12:52 PM
I never got acquainted with them all!

I travelled on the Hawkhill bus in my youth, so, enjoying yourself on your travels was frowned upon.

steakbake
16-08-2012, 12:59 PM
The old East. Easter Road is souless now.

Being able to touch the gate as you left the East.

The feeling of anything could happen as a Hibs fan, it doesnt seem to have the 'mystery' to it anymore.

It's a mystery to me how we stayed up last year. Also a mystery is whether Petrie combs his moustache AND waxes it, or whether he lets it go natural.

heretoday
16-08-2012, 01:39 PM
I miss the Everest-like climb up the rear of the east terrace with four cans of pally ally stuffed down the Wranglers and twenty No 6 in the top pocket. It was such a sense of achievement to make it to the top.

Delboy4
16-08-2012, 04:31 PM
John Brownlee running down the line at 60mph (with the ball) and then getting the whaft of germolene from his legs.

A bit of pride from the players whilst wearing the jersey!
:greengrin

Sunny1875
16-08-2012, 05:06 PM
The old scoreboard where you had to have a programme to work out who was playing who.

Players who you could relate to as they were real Hibs fans representing their own.

3 o'clock kick offs on a Saturday. Home one week, away the next and only playing other teams at home once unless you drew them in the cup. Sad thing is you knew who their players were as they lasted more than a season and were all Scottish, they didn't even have names on strips.

All nostalgic now think I'll go home and dig out my old Topical Times football annuals.

:top marks

killie-hibby
16-08-2012, 05:08 PM
I miss one shilling and ninepence admission price. Ten minute half times. Willie Ormond and other first team players getting on the SMT service bus at Fisherrow,Joppa and Portobello. Hibs supporters giving the team real encouragement.Pink News and green Dispatch. Reserve games.Alternate home and away fixtures. Crowding round the window at Currys in Leith St to catch the full time scores on a top of the range black and white telly. Most adults wearing suits and ties to games. The absence of pundits,co commentators and live television. Expecting to win every game. Saturday 3pm KO,s. Joe Baker and all the other greats of the late fifties and sixties.
:flag::flag::flag:

Mary Hinge
16-08-2012, 06:47 PM
mary hinge........would the white knuckle ride be in a certain davy pauls car per chance??

Spot on Shady :greengrin

swanny 6-2
17-08-2012, 05:00 AM
Rikki Raginia's fitba programme hut behind the east

NAE NOOKIE
17-08-2012, 07:03 AM
Big European nights .... the last one was the EAK Athens match and that was 10 years ago. Nowadays European fitba consists of getting humped in July by some other also ran from Slovakia or wherever.... if we do qualify ... sigh!

We could replicate the old terracing days if the club could be persuaded to make the bottom decks of the FF and South standing areas. ER is big enough to do that and still have a huge 'family' area elsewhere. We are missing a trick with this obsession with having the East as the singing area of ER.

IMO

superfurryhibby
17-08-2012, 09:26 AM
I miss one shilling and ninepence admission price. Ten minute half times. Willie Ormond and other first team players getting on the SMT service bus at Fisherrow,Joppa and Portobello. Hibs supporters giving the team real encouragement.Pink News and green Dispatch. Reserve games.Alternate home and away fixtures. Crowding round the window at Currys in Leith St to catch the full time scores on a top of the range black and white telly. Most adults wearing suits and ties to games. The absence of pundits,co commentators and live television. Expecting to win every game. Saturday 3pm KO,s. Joe Baker and all the other greats of the late fifties and sixties.
:flag::flag::flag:

You are a very lucky man.

I miss the challenge of getting in to Easter Road without paying, quite a feat when you were only ten years old. I miss all the laddies from Leith that shared my footballing adventures. I miss European nights when Easter Road was heaving and we were able to match some of Europe's top sides. Impressions from games against the likes of Sporting Lisbon, Leeds, Liverpool are still stored away.

Progress eh, not all it's cracked up to be sometimes!

Phil MaGlass
17-08-2012, 09:42 AM
I miss,

getting a lift over the turnstiles
climbing the old East double terracing,
meeting up with all yir mates in any packed out bar on ER,
looking at the packed out Dunbar end when hertz,buns,sellik visited, it was amazing to see it move as a mass of bodies when a goal was scored
the old scoreboard that never worked above the cowshed
Arthur Duncan blistering runs
plus a hundred other things

I dont miss beer farts wafting up yir nose and almost making you puke cos yi had a hangover.

Phil D. Rolls
17-08-2012, 12:00 PM
The Abbot's Choice Whisky, or rather the advert for it. As a kid, I found it slightly sinister.

johnnywaspsting
17-08-2012, 12:19 PM
The Carlton bus with Jimmy Marriott (and the rest).

JohnStephens91
17-08-2012, 03:42 PM
Sitting in seats 6 and 7 in the front row of the east with my dad.

Paisley Hibby
17-08-2012, 04:37 PM

:aok:

HibbyAndy
17-08-2012, 04:39 PM
Miss gropin the tidy burd that used to sit beside me in the East when we scored in big games ( Mainly scoring against the pinksters).

iwasthere1972
17-08-2012, 05:30 PM
Miss gropin the tidy burd that used to sit beside me in the East when we scored in big games ( Mainly scoring against the pinksters).

Rumour is that "she" was a tranny.

iwasthere1972
17-08-2012, 05:32 PM
The 30, 000 - 40, 000 crowds and European nights.

Pretty Boy
17-08-2012, 05:41 PM
The Abbot's Choice Whisky, or rather the advert for it. As a kid, I found it slightly sinister.

Abbot's Choice?

You'll pay a fortune for that stuff now. Last time I came accross it a guy wanted £19.95 for 50ml!

neilmartinrocks
17-08-2012, 05:51 PM
http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=4658966453027602&id=563b668ae53f82e1d1eedfffd92a21f2

This stuff?
http://www.hibs.net/brands/images/abbots/Abbot4.jpg (webmaster@whisky.com)

18/03/07
17-08-2012, 05:58 PM
Anyone remember buying tickets for "the golden goal" if i remember they were 10p was gutted when opened a ticket and it said 14 seconds lol

Phil D. Rolls
17-08-2012, 06:04 PM
http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=4658966453027602&id=563b668ae53f82e1d1eedfffd92a21f2

This stuff?
http://www.hibs.net/brands/images/abbots/Abbot4.jpg (webmaster@whisky.com)

That's the one. Look at his sinister face with the beady eyes. He's meant to be a man of the cloth, but he's got this sly smirk like pay no attention to those fuds in the church, it's OK by me.

What's an abbot doing drinking whisky? What else does he turn a blind eye to. I think we should be tpld.

neilmartinrocks
17-08-2012, 06:15 PM
That's the one. Look at his sinister face with the beady eyes. He's meant to be a man of the cloth, but he's got this sly smirk like pay no attention to those fuds in the church, it's OK by me.

What's an abbot doing drinking whisky? What else does he turn a blind eye to. I think we should be tpld.

I wonder if it's same fellaes that make the buckie!!:greengrin

MGmick
17-08-2012, 06:15 PM
I miss pretty much all the same things the guys around 50 miss but, these days I most of all miss [B]really[B] caring anymore.

Phil D. Rolls
17-08-2012, 06:16 PM
I wonder if it's same fellaes that make the buckie!!:greengrin

Never seen in the same place together. :agree:

Minder
18-08-2012, 04:09 PM
The Rangers and "The people".

:devil: