PDA

View Full Version : Unemployed Hibernian Supporters

GORDONSMITH7
14-08-2012, 03:20 PM
Sent from St. Patrick's Branch to the Board of Hibs.

Thanks

BIG G

Admin Edit - Doc attached below.....

Mikey
14-08-2012, 03:24 PM
Attached.........

Wembley67
14-08-2012, 03:28 PM
Excellent idea, the cost of football is tough enough even with employment.

Oh and reduce the general admission fullstop!

GORDONSMITH7
14-08-2012, 03:30 PM
Attached.........!

Thanks Mikey. Dinae forget your a techy wizard and I am getting my bus pass next year!:wink:

BIG G

Northernhibee
14-08-2012, 03:33 PM
Very good scheme. Was made redundant a few weeks back - it's pretty ****ing miserable and if it were to be affordable, it would be nice to have something to look forward to.

blackpoolhibs
14-08-2012, 03:33 PM
Great idea, :thumbsup: somethings better than nothing but would need to be well policed, as i'd imagine we all know someone who's unemployed, and they could be getting them for folk who were not?

We need more ideas like this, we must try and get the ground full.:top marks

Lucius Apuleius
14-08-2012, 03:34 PM
Sent from St. Patrick's Branch to the Board of Hibs.

Thanks

BIG G

Admin Edit - Doc attached below.....

Nice thought big man.

Mikey
14-08-2012, 03:38 PM
!

Thanks Mikey. Dinae forget your a techy wizard and I am getting my bus pass next year!:wink:

BIG G

Well if you need to know how to work it........ ask Jonnyboy :wink:

:duck:

GORDONSMITH7
14-08-2012, 03:42 PM

Quality!

BIG G

Kaff
14-08-2012, 03:43 PM
Excellent idea, the cost of football is tough enough even with employment.

Oh and reduce the general admission fullstop!

Disagree with reductions for unemployed i'm afraid. In reality the, admittedly rare, times i've been unemployed the last thing i would spend £15 quid or so on would be football. There has to be better ways to subsidise filling the ground and kids would be my preferred route

DH1875
14-08-2012, 03:47 PM
No chance they'll go for it. I'm unemployed at the moment but have an ST. Bet I'm not the only one either.

GORDONSMITH7
14-08-2012, 03:59 PM
Disagree with reductions for unemployed i'm afraid. In reality the, admittedly rare, times i've been unemployed the last thing i would spend £15 quid or so on would be football. There has to be better ways to subsidise filling the ground and kids would be my preferred route

I respect your opinion . After we had sent the letter to Hibs and St. Pat's membership in general I received this from one of our members in Lasswade whom I personally do not know and had no idea was unemployed........

Gordon, as an unemployed fan I couldn't agree more and I sincerely hope we get a positive response from Mr Petrie. Last season I could only afford to attend ER once and I only got to that cup game through the help of a mate. On a more positive note I've got my car back so I hope to be able to attend the next branch meeting.

Andy GGTTH

Convinces me that our Branch is right to put this proposition forward.

BIG G

heretoday
14-08-2012, 04:05 PM
Good idea. Power to the people!

erin-go-bragh87
14-08-2012, 04:07 PM
I work hard to be able to afford my season ticket and the cost of travel from Inverness to Easter road every second Saturday. Why should someone who doesn't work pay less than me? How about cheap tickets for those who travel 100 miles or more to go to games??

erin-go-bragh87
14-08-2012, 04:08 PM
I respect your opinion . After we had sent the letter to Hibs and St. Pat's membership in general I received this from one of our members in Lasswade whom I personally do not know and had no idea was unemployed........

Gordon, as an unemployed fan I couldn't agree more and I sincerely hope we get a positive response from Mr Petrie. Last season I could only afford to attend ER once and I only got to that cup game through the help of a mate. On a more positive note I've got my car back so I hope to be able to attend the next branch meeting.

Andy GGTTH

BIG G

Convinces me if you want luxuries like attending football matches you should get a job.

lEXO
14-08-2012, 04:18 PM
Convinces me if you want luxuries like attending football matches you should get a job.

If only it was that easy. I,ve got my ST and give it to my cousin who cant afford to go if i cant make it. He sat beside me for 5 years and is now unemployed, be good if he could buy himself a ticket every now and again instead of relying on me to help him. You should get a job? There are thousands out there looking for jobs. Getting one is far from being a piece of piss.

Wembley67
14-08-2012, 04:22 PM

Giving say 1000 people something to look forward to every few weeks I think is a no-brainer, there is ample space there and it's just a nice human gesture that many if not all clubs should look at if possible.

Kaff
14-08-2012, 04:24 PM

Andy GGTTH

BIG G

Thanks for reply.
It's not something i feel strongly about as unemployment is such a wide issue. There will be any number of people who i would have no problem with in receiving 'help' but just my own opinion that i would rather see kids getting in the ground cheaper and those from families where unemployment is a problem moreso.

cocopops1875
14-08-2012, 04:25 PM
In reply to northerhibbies now removed post Harsh to be fair I'm not gonna take sides on this but totally get the point that people work hard to be able to afford nice things (dunno if a season book counts as a nice thing lol)some people who work also struggle with money what about them ? so maybe abusing someone for an opinion is unfair

cabbageandribs1875
14-08-2012, 04:27 PM
I work hard to be able to afford my season ticket and the cost of travel from Inverness to Easter road every second Saturday. Why should someone who doesn't work pay less than me? How about cheap tickets for those who travel 100 miles or more to go to games??

you do have a valid point, but i think it would be a great idea to try get more bodies into ER, unless we see some consistently good performances on the park the ground will have 9000+ empty seats on a regular basis, i don't know what the answer is but something has to be done

Northernhibee
14-08-2012, 04:28 PM

:rolleyes:

Since being made redundant, I've been averaging 20-30 applications a week. Countless phone calls, e-mails, registering with agencies. Had an employer offer me over 30% less than his advertised rate to be told as good as "beggars can't be choosers" (I'm sure my landlord wouldn't see things the same when I couldn't afford my rent). Worked ever since I've been able to. Still treated as a child by JCP.

If I want to use a little bit of the money I have just now to cheer myself up every so often, I don't need people like you being utterly condescending and ignorant about the market right now.

With the economy as it is, I hope you're not in that situation. It'd hit you like a ton of bricks.

nickwhibs
14-08-2012, 04:29 PM

What a pathetic response. Don't worry Maggie Thatcher, it's not like they're aking Hibs to give these people housing benefits :rolleyes:. Personally I think it's a great idea - good thinking St Pats Branch.:thumbsup:

GORDONSMITH7
14-08-2012, 04:36 PM
Thanks for reply.
It's not something i feel strongly about as unemployment is such a wide issue. There will be any number of people who i would have no problem with in receiving 'help' but just my own opinion that i would rather see kids getting in the ground cheaper and those from families where unemployment is a problem moreso.

Again I will not cross swords with anyone on this point. That is why St. Patrick's Branch of the Hibernian Supporters Association are buying Season Tickets via the 'Kicks for Kids' initiative as Hibs.net have done on a grand scale.

BIG G

http://www.hiberniansaintpatricks.co.uk/

Kaff
14-08-2012, 04:43 PM
Again I will not cross swords with anyone on this point. That is why St. Patrick's Branch of the Hibernian Supporters Association are buying Season Tickets via the 'Kicks for Kids' initiative as Hibs.net have done on a grand scale.

BIG G

http://www.hiberniansaintpatricks.co.uk/

True, i did read that but never connected your two points. Actions speak louder than words and your stance (supporters club) is admirable for that.

As said, i'm not particularily 'anti' your suggestion just taking part in a discussion about it.

GORDONSMITH7
14-08-2012, 04:44 PM
True, i did read that but never connected your two points. Actions speak louder than words and your stance (supporters club) is admirable for that.

As said, i'm not particularily 'anti' your suggestion just taking part in a discussion about it.

Nae bother amigo.

BIG G

lyonhibs
14-08-2012, 04:45 PM
A nice idea, but I can see Rod's response already - Hibs have been hit by the economic downturn, had to lay off staff in the TO/reduce the size of the board, cut the wage bill etc etc, and therefore the current ticket pricing structure is as generous as Hibs can afford to be.

Hibs have naff all control over what they realistically have to charge for tickets (accounting for other factors that feed into the financial side of any football club), apart from perhaps the odd one-off game now and then when they run some sort of promotion.

Fergos
14-08-2012, 04:47 PM
Fantastic idea, what our club is all about, without being too ssmeltic about it......

Hibernian Forever.

GORDONSMITH7
14-08-2012, 04:50 PM
A nice idea, but I can see Rod's response already - Hibs have been hit by the economic downturn, had to lay off staff in the TO/reduce the size of the board, cut the wage bill etc etc, and therefore the current ticket pricing structure is as generous as Hibs can afford to be.

Hibs have naff all control over what they realistically have to charge for tickets (accounting for other factors that feed into the financial side of any football club), apart from perhaps the odd one-off game now and then when they run some sort of promotion.

We have asked that Hibs have a word with their St Mirren counterparts next week. It's not impossible.

http://www.saintmirren.net/pages/?page_id=255

BIG G

Scouse Hibee
14-08-2012, 04:52 PM
If we could differentiate between unemployed looking for a job and desperate to find employment as opposed to the unemployed and can't be ersed to look for a job because I'm better off on benefits brigade then I would fully support this idea. We unfortunately can't so I wont!

cocopops1875
14-08-2012, 04:56 PM
If we could differentiate between unemployed looking for a job and desperate to find employment as opposed to the unemployed and can't be ersed to look for a job because I'm better off on benefits brigade then I would fully support this idea. We unfortunately can't so I wont!

So could something be done with the local job centers ? a kinda reward for attendance at interviews and the like ? just a thought as i do get where you are coming from on this :agree:

easty
14-08-2012, 05:00 PM
You should get a job? There are thousands out there looking for jobs. Getting one is far from being a piece of piss.

My point probably belongs on the holy ground rather than the main board but, we had over 250 applicants for a job recently, invited 8 people for an interview, 4 didn't bother their arse to turn up, or call to let us know they wouldn't be coming. I was shocked to be honest, I keep hearing that folk are desperate for work! I had plenty other things to be getting on with that didn't involve waiting on wasters to turn up.

Back on point though, it's not a terrible idea by any means, though I'm sure folk, as I do, know quite a few people who are unemployed and don't care about finding a job. There will be lots of unemployed folks who i wouldn't grudge getting a free ticket, if the tickets ended up in the hands of those other wasters though, I'd not be very happy.

Famous5forever
14-08-2012, 05:00 PM
Nice idea :aok: but one problem to overcome PETRIE

Speedy
14-08-2012, 05:01 PM

While I see what you're saying, those that are at it (and wanted to go to games) would probably already have found a way to get a concession ticket.

Scouse Hibee
14-08-2012, 05:06 PM
While I see what you're saying, those that are at it (and wanted to go to games) would probably already have found a way to get a concession ticket.

:agree: Which brings me to another point, weeding out folk who have concessionary tickets that they are not entitled to!

lEXO
14-08-2012, 05:09 PM
My point probably belongs on the holy ground rather than the main board but, we had over 250 applicants for a job recently, invited 8 people for an interview, 4 didn't bother their arse to turn up, or call to let us know they wouldn't be coming. I was shocked to be honest, I keep hearing that folk are desperate for work! I had plenty other things to be getting on with that didn't involve waiting on wasters to turn up.

Back on point though, it's not a terrible idea by any means, though I'm sure folk, as I do, know quite a few people who are unemployed and don't care about finding a job. There will be lots of unemployed folks who i wouldn't grudge getting a free ticket, if the tickets ended up in the hands of those other wasters though, I'd not be very happy.

Very fair points. I know plenty of guys who have lost their jobs who have had to give up a lot more than Hibs games. There will always be folk who will try and take advantage of these schemes and it might be that it wont work. Worth a try though.

Forza Fred
14-08-2012, 05:12 PM
While I wasn't around then (honest) the Únemployed Gáte'was there in the 30's and/or possibly 40's I believe, so it has been done before at Er, although obviously things were a bit different.

i guess that's the only point I'd nit pick in the letter,is whereit is referred to as únprecented recession'...in our short lifetimes perhaps, but not unprecented

having said that, good luck with the idea , and dont be put off by negative comments..

I'm not aware of ANYTHING being achieved these days, without someone opposing it, although I can understand too the concerns of some about 'policing'it and where the possibility for abuse..

DH1875
14-08-2012, 05:22 PM
So could something be done with the local job centers ? a kinda reward for attendance at interviews and the like ? just a thought as i do get where you are coming from on this :agree:

What if you don't live in Edinburgh? Can't see my local JC showing any interest in it.

Like I said, I've got a ticket AND don't live in Edinburgh. Don't make every game but try my best too :thumbsup:. If it safes me money then fair do's but I honestly don't see it.

cocopops1875
14-08-2012, 05:34 PM
What if you don't live in Edinburgh? Can't see my local JC showing any interest in it.

Like I said, I've got a ticket AND don't live in Edinburgh. Don't make every game but try my best too :thumbsup:. If it safes me money then fair do's but I honestly don't see it.
To be fair I dont think Hibs could be blamed for not offering freebies/offers like this outside the local catchment area should they hand out free tickets to school kids in aberdeen ? Daft point in my opinion

snooky
14-08-2012, 05:44 PM
I'm sure there are lots of minor jobs that require done when you run a football club.
Why not set up a scheme where an unemployed fan can say, clean up the ground after games at ER or EM - that type of thing - and be rewarded with a free ticket for the next home game.
That's a win/win is is no'?
The club get something and so does the punter.

I'm sure someone will find that this is a no-goer due to some nutty piece of legislation.

Or, of course the guy who already does the work will be made redundant (:doh:me)

Brizo
14-08-2012, 05:48 PM
Great idea from the St Pats branch in proposing concessionary tickets from the unemployed and contributing to the Kicks for Kids programme.

Im possibly hallucinating but I seem to recall a scheme in maybe 70s/80s where you got in cheaper if you had a UB40. If thats the case the concessionary idea is one that operated in the past.

Of course any ticketing scheme is open to abuse. But i find the idea of dismissing it because some unemployed are wasters a bit Thatcheresque:devil:

For years i sat beside a guy on incapacity benefit who leapt about the stand like a loony. And while im no doctor :greengrin he looked far from incapacitated on matchdays. I suppose as he paid the full whack for his ST he was ok :greengrin.

On balance I think its a positive and progressive idea. Anything which helps fill our half empty stands and promotes us as a caring community club is good by me. I also think its refreshing to see the St Pats boys , like the Dnipro guys and other Hibbies who do charitable work, thinking of others less fortunate than themselves.

Scouse Hibee
14-08-2012, 05:49 PM
I'm sure there are lots of minor jobs that require done when you run a football club.
Why not set up a scheme where an unemployed fan can say, clean up the ground after games at ER or EM - that type of thing - and be rewarded with a free ticket for the next home game.

I'm sure someone will find that this is a no-goer due to some nutty piece of legislation.

Or, of course the guy who already does the work will be made redundant (:doh:me)

Don't be silly, the unemployed folk need plenty of time after the game to get their new cars home and get ready to hit George Street. :greengrin

1two
14-08-2012, 06:22 PM
Im possibly hallucinating but I seem to recall a scheme in maybe 70s/80s where you got in cheaper if you had a UB40

Must have been the 80's - or at least that's when they peaked with "Red Red Wine."

Not sure what relevance this has though, they were never hibs class.

Scouse Hibee
14-08-2012, 06:23 PM
Must have been the 80's - or at least that's when they peaked with "Red Red Wine."

Not sure what relevance this has though, they were never hibs class.

:greengrin

erin-go-bragh87
14-08-2012, 06:24 PM
I didn't see the removed post but I just wanted to make it clear that I am in no way against new schemes to get people back but why should unemployed people get concessions? Regardless of how much we love hibs, and I do, it is a luxury and where would it end? Many people on minimum wage are struggling to make ends meet and some have less disposable income than those on unemployment benefits, should they have cheaper tickets too?

As has been said already I'm not saying its easy to find work at the moment and I myself have had to lay off 60 staff in the past 12 months but if I wasn't working I can't afford the travel to games, should hibs help with that too??

The_Exile
14-08-2012, 06:27 PM
As the voice of the silent majority, I say this is a great suggestion, any way to increase crowds and to perhaps encourage those in the unfortunate position of being unemployed along is a superb idea :agree:

1two
14-08-2012, 06:32 PM
Rather than discounted prices what about a section of freebie tickets?
Say 250 or so for every game

Get a waiting list for the freebies and draw out names from a hat. Might encourage people back and give them that hibs buzz again

DH1875
14-08-2012, 06:41 PM
To be fair I dont think Hibs could be blamed for not offering freebies/offers like this outside the local catchment area should they hand out free tickets to school kids in aberdeen ? Daft point in my opinion

Why not, couldn't hurt anyone could it :aok:. Don't see how it's a daft point, the 2 are not the same.

Get a waiting list for the freebies and draw out names from a hat. Might encourage people back and give them that hibs buzz again

Slightly off topic but did we sell out the allocation of free tickets for kids in the FF.

bingo70
14-08-2012, 06:42 PM
Can't say I'd be happy with this offer.

it won't be a popular opinion but Imo people that are long term unemployed already get enough, there's creative ways we can boost attendances without giving away free tickets to people that don't work.

Is there any volunteer work that they could do to benefit the club in some way with a free ticket as a reward?

I know there is exceptions but there's too many people that could work but can't be arsed properly looking to start giving away loads of freebies to them.

Sandy
14-08-2012, 06:46 PM

I have worked ALL my adult life including my time in the forces, due to PTSD and other things am now out of work, who thf do u think u are ?

Northernhibee
14-08-2012, 06:47 PM
Can't say I'd be happy with this offer.

it won't be a popular opinion but Imo people that are long term unemployed already get enough.

I know someone who has worked with the long term unemployed so I'm pretty clued up on this, care to expand?

bingo70
14-08-2012, 06:52 PM
I know someone who has worked with the long term unemployed so I'm pretty clued up on this, care to expand?

I think my last paragraph does explain my viewpoint.

There's too many unemployed people working the system to roll out this offer.

Brizo
14-08-2012, 06:55 PM
I didn't see the removed post but I just wanted to make it clear that I am in no way against new schemes to get people back but why should unemployed people get concessions? Regardless of how much we love hibs, and I do, it is a luxury and where would it end? Many people on minimum wage are struggling to make ends meet and some have less disposable income than those on unemployment benefits, should they have cheaper tickets too?

As has been said already I'm not saying its easy to find work at the moment and I myself have had to lay off 60 staff in the past 12 months but if I wasn't working I can't afford the travel to games, should hibs help with that too??

Hibs were originally founded as a caring community club for those in that community who were less fortunate than others. You have chosen to use the motto adopted by that original community club as your username. No offence but given your views on those in society less fortunate than others i find your choice of username quite ironic.

Albion Hibs
14-08-2012, 07:01 PM
On first read i thought this was a pash idea, I can see how it could benefit some that have fallen on harder times which is obviously a good thing, I can also see why some people would moan about the fact they work so why should someone else get something for cheaper. But at the end of the day the bottom line for me, as with all these things, is will it benefit the club? - if the answer is yes, then why not, the club benefits as does a section of our support.

As to the technicalities i have no idea how things work in job centres in terms of people putting themselves about and trying to get employment V's those that dont, but perhaps there is something here that will help tackle a bigger, and dare i say, more important issue, with a further incentive and immediate benefit to those out there that are trying but have had no luck.

If St Mirren are trying it then they will be able to say first hand if, and how it is working, if Rod and the boys are making the journey through at the weekend i think they would be silly not to ask the question if they have not already done so.

Northernhibee
14-08-2012, 07:01 PM
I think my last paragraph does explain my viewpoint.

There's too many unemployed people working the system to roll out this offer.

You put that the long term unemployed "already get enough".

Do you actually know how much they get?

Eganov
14-08-2012, 07:03 PM
This suggestion sounds fair enough to me, anything to get more bums on seats etc.

But, I've always found it bemusing how a supposed community orientated organisation doesn't offer discounts to the armed forces and emergency services. Most people in these areas of work will never be able to realise the discount of a season ticket as they will be working most weekends. So a discounted walk up price seems quite logical to me.

CalgaryHibs
14-08-2012, 07:09 PM

-----
Have to agee with you on what you said here mate, b ut I"m interested to find oot if Mr PEtrie will answer this.

bingo70
14-08-2012, 07:15 PM
You put that the long term unemployed "already get enough".

Do you actually know how much they get?

They get a wage for not doing anything and a roof over there head.

I'm sorry, I know you won't like this and you'll have a different view point from me on it but I think there's a lot of people that can work but don't and I don't think we should be giving freebies to a lot of these people, most of the people who abuse the system would be the first to take advantage of another freebie while the genuine unemployed people who can't get work would appreciate football is a luxury u can't afford when out of work.

Famous Fiver
14-08-2012, 07:20 PM
Non starter for me I'm afraid.

Tin hat on but but too many unemployed (intentionally) scamming Bus Passes, Blue Badges, Taxi Cards etc etc. For every genuine unemployed there are many living this way as a life of choice.

I noticed a post earlier about an unemployed guy supporting the concept of pandering to the unemployed the stating he'll soon have his car back on the road. What's that all about?

I worked for years and couldn't afford a car while IN WORK, never mind out of it.

I've got a son in full time employment and he can't afford to run a car.

What about the OAPs? Granted there are already concessions but let's include them too.

In fact, throw open the gates and to hell with qualifying criteria. Just lob in a bin what you think you can afford.

Aye right.

Rant over. Away to my dugout to avoid the flak.

Jonnyboy
14-08-2012, 07:22 PM

Quality!

BIG G

Nice one :thumbsup: Now, I'm away to jack in my job so I can get in cheaper (after going there using my bus pass) :greengrin

hibee
14-08-2012, 07:22 PM
Can't agree with this, hibs would end up putting the rest of the prices up to compensate their losses. As others have said they couldn't police this and it would be abused like the guys in their twenties who still get in with a kids ticket!

lord bunberry
14-08-2012, 07:24 PM
:hnet:

As long as they don't lay of existing members of staff then i think this is a good idea they could even get the job centre involved and offer some kind of training scheme

Northernhibee
14-08-2012, 07:38 PM
They get a wage for not doing anything and a roof over there head.

I'm sorry, I know you won't like this and you'll have a different view point from me on it but I think there's a lot of people that can work but don't and I don't think we should be giving freebies to a lot of these people, most of the people who abuse the system would be the first to take advantage of another freebie while the genuine unemployed people who can't get work would appreciate football is a luxury u can't afford when out of work.

£71 per week.

I've heard stories (that I know to be the case) of people not being able to keep up with rent, being evicted and sleeping with all their worldly possessions in a tent. I've heard worse stories.

I'm unemployed. I want to get back in work and spend a lot of time each week doing what I can to get leads and get back into work. It's miserable for £71 a week. I've paid thousands of pounds of tax into the system already in my life, in case anyone thinks "That's more than you deserve to get" or similar - not a dig at anyone on this thread yet but you always get one.

If once a month or so I could afford a ticket for the football it'd be good to have something to look forward to. Constantly being told "no" is a crushing experience for a lot of people.

I think that if Hibs could do this it'd be a fantastic gesture for those who are down on their luck. I wouldn't be able to afford it as the travel costs would be too much, but with so many people in tough times it'd be good to offer something that might cheer them up.

Furthermore, once people who take the advantage of this offer get back into work, they're more likely to feel a heightened sense of loyalty to a club. Make it games where there's a smaller gate expected even.

DH1875
14-08-2012, 07:49 PM
£280 a month is more than enough for a single person to live off when they are getting their rent, council tax etc.....paid. Ask the guy working full time on minimum wage and paying full rent if he'd like to have £280 a month to pay for things. Cars, SKY TV, Mobile phones, Internet aren't a given and should be seen as a luxury, along with the football.

bingo70
14-08-2012, 07:54 PM
£71 per week.

I've heard stories (that I know to be the case) of people not being able to keep up with rent, being evicted and sleeping with all their worldly possessions in a tent. I've heard worse stories.

I'm unemployed. I want to get back in work and spend a lot of time each week doing what I can to get leads and get back into work. It's miserable for £71 a week. I've paid thousands of pounds of tax into the system already in my life, in case anyone thinks "That's more than you deserve to get" or similar - not a dig at anyone on this thread yet but you always get one.

If once a month or so I could afford a ticket for the football it'd be good to have something to look forward to. Constantly being told "no" is a crushing experience for a lot of people.

I think that if Hibs could do this it'd be a fantastic gesture for those who are down on their luck. I wouldn't be able to afford it as the travel costs would be too much, but with so many people in tough times it'd be good to offer something that might cheer them up.

Furthermore, once people who take the advantage of this offer get back into work, they're more likely to feel a heightened sense of loyalty to a club. Make it games where there's a smaller gate expected even.

It's a controversial subject that's always going to divide opinion, I don't want to cause any offence to you but if your in that situation I'm sure you'll be just as aware as I am about how many people abuse the system and the likelyhood of people not deserving of them getting another freebie.

In my last job I was in collections for a car finance company and all day, everyday Iheard unemployed people telling me they needed their car even though they couldnt afford it, the couple in the flat below me don't work and still manage to live in a nice flat courtesy of the council so right now I'm perhaps not as sympathetic as I should be to people who are unemployed but that's been my experience so to read on here people suggesting we give free tickets away is just not something I agree with, imo a line has to be drawn somewhere.

Anyway I don't think its something we'll agree on so I'm going to bow out at this point.

cocopops1875
14-08-2012, 08:03 PM
Why not, couldn't hurt anyone could it :aok:. Don't see how it's a daft point, the 2 are not the same.

Slightly off topic but did we sell out the allocation of free tickets for kids in the FF.

My point was more from hibs POV spending money setting up something outwith edinburgh would be fairly pointless as the uptake would be so small:agree: and if you mean free kid with an adult season ticket then the initial batch went and under pressure they released some more recently

cocopops1875
14-08-2012, 08:14 PM
£71 per week.

As i said earlier i have no feelings either way about whether or not to do this but feel it is open to abuse you must know yourself that some people JUST DONT WANT TO WORK im not saying this is you or anyone you know, a system where fans could earn the tickets would be good and surely improve a feeling of self worth having earned something and also having something to show potential employers they want to work and are willing to do so :agree:

Sir David Gray
14-08-2012, 08:14 PM

:agree: Sums up my feelings.

I really sympathise with people who are out of work just now but who are doing their utmost to find work. It's not a very easy thing to achieve right now.

I was looking for work for months and months, sending in CVs and e-mails left, right and centre and getting absolutely nowhere. Eventually I've had to settle, at the moment, for a very low paid job that sees me doing very unsociable hours for very little job satisfaction.

However, at the end of the day, it is a full time job and it has opened up many other things in my life which weren't possible before I got the job.

I see and hear about so many people who just aren't interested in finding work, they're quite happy picking up their benefit money every week and spending it all on drink and cigarettes and many other things that their income is not supposed to fund.

As you say, if we could put in some kind of safety net that ensured that the only people to benefit from something like this were people who were genuinely looking for work but just weren't getting anywhere then I would be all for something like this being put in place.

However that's not something that could ever be guaranteed and it's just as likely to be abused as any other well meaning initiative would be.

At the end of the day, there's loads of people who do work, who are struggling to get by on a daily basis, and who can't afford to go to matches every week.

It might be harsh but if you can't afford to buy something or go somewhere then you either don't do it at all or you wait until you've saved up enough money to be able to do it or buy it.

ronaldo7
14-08-2012, 08:15 PM
St Pat's are to be commended for this move. We are a compassionate support as seen by the Dnipro appeal and many others on this board. Just giving sites are full of the donations from our great fans. Let's reach out and support our guys and girls who have fallen on hard times for hopefully only a short while.

Well done lads.

:aok:

erin-go-bragh87
14-08-2012, 08:22 PM
I have worked ALL my adult life including my time in the forces, due to PTSD and other things am now out of work, who thf do u think u are ?

Not really sure what your point is, this thread is about unemployed people not people who are unable to work which I guess is is the category you fit into due to your PTSD? I'm all for the club supporting those with disabilities.

cocopops1875
14-08-2012, 08:27 PM

To be fair and i will tread carefully as i dont want to offend, You have an illness(apologies if this is not the correct term) i dont think for one moment that the poster was meaning people who "cant" work more people who "wont" work. As i and many others have said There are people who work Full time and maybe even have a side job who cannot afford to go to the football so what should/can we do about that ? i am all for giving kids tickets and introducing things for free days for Groups/Clubs/Charitys to get free tickets THE SEATS ARE THERE but this has to be done fairly and with the people who pay Full Price to attend in mind

Bostonhibby
14-08-2012, 08:32 PM
Trying to navigate a way through the middle of opinions here and I could only really revert to what the motivation for the letter seemed to be - not giving someone something for nothing and not primarily about boosting gates even though we could do with it.

it was actually about maybe giving a helping hand to some Hibbies who might genuinely be at or near the breadline or thinking about giving something up to make ends meet and a discount might be the difference between going and not. It might keep them going a bit longer as if they are genuinely unemployed the rate of benefit increase is not exactly keeping pace with everything else around us.

There are those who say they shouldn't be spending on a game but that ignores the circumstances of their unemployment and assumes everyone uses or abuses what they do get in the same way. Not everyone who is unemployed is incapable of budgeting or even having the apparent luxury of affording the odd Hibs game.

Get the point entirely about the whole range of freeloaders, fiddlers etc that are out there but whether Hibs do this or not they will still be at it since, as many have pointed out, they seem to enjoy comforts way beyond the odd fiver or so Hibs might cut from prices.

We might just have forgotten where we came from as a club here. You'd never exclude all the ones we should exclude from this I agree but the benefit any chancers might get is nothing compared to the wider good we might do, or how our club might be seen in an age where the average member of the public sees football through the eyes of SKY and the super rich clubs and players don't help balance that view.

Probably fantasy anyway as a few have pointed out as Rod may not be inclined.

I am a St Pats member, and feel the better for the fact that the Branch proposed it.

andrew_dundee
14-08-2012, 08:41 PM
I think it's a good idea. I think that those of us in work often forget what it's like being unemployed. Thankfully my only bouts of unemployment have been VERY short lived, but the amount of people I know who are unemplyed through no fault of their own is astounding. If this proposal brings in new people and money that wouldn't otherwise be there then all the better, but I also think that it should be done because it's the right thing to do.

superbam
14-08-2012, 08:53 PM
St Pats branch are to be commended for this, a great initiative and it would be a fantastic gesture from the club

Surprised and disappointed by the number of objections raised on here - especially the suggestion that is somehow immoral for someone who is unemployed to spend 15 quid on recreation per week (and to call it recreation is pushing it somewhat).

cocopops1875
14-08-2012, 09:03 PM
St Pats branch are to be commended for this, a great initiative and it would be a fantastic gesture from the club

Surprised and disappointed by the number of objections raised on here - especially the suggestion that is somehow immoral for someone who is unemployed to spend 15 quid on recreation per week (and to call it recreation is pushing it somewhat).

Thats a fair view but nobody has aswered the question "What about people on low income?" what do they get ? im all for filling the stands and helping folk who are down on their luck, I also know people who are struggling to find work at the moment but what it comes down to is where do you start and stop with this kind of initiative ?

ronaldo7
14-08-2012, 09:17 PM
Thats a fair view but nobody has aswered the question "What about people on low income?" what do they get ? im all for filling the stands and helping folk who are down on their luck, I also know people who are struggling to find work at the moment but what it comes down to is where do you start and stop with this kind of initiative ?

You have to start somewhere C.

Let's see how Petrie and Co deal with the unemployed request first, and then move it along from there.

Hibernia&Alba
14-08-2012, 09:33 PM

The deserving and the undeserving poor?

You're supposed to be a scouser and should know better

100% support from me. Empty seats are in the stadium, let's use them and encourage those experiencing hard times to still feel part of the family.

A club like Hibs, with our roots, should be at forefront of compassion and justice

basehibby
14-08-2012, 09:54 PM
:top marks for this letter!

Have just recently gained full time "permanent" employment again after 3 years of bits and pieces - had to give up being a ST holder as it was obviously just impossible to justify. If I hadn't helped out taking a disabled guy along who has since become a mate then my attendance at ER over the last few years would have been minimal.

Even now with a regular wage coming in again I had to just about twist my own arm off to persuade myself into buying a ticket for the derby as £28 is a considerable sum and I still have a debt to work through which would almost make Mad Vlad's eyes water!
I am certainly not alone as a football fan in having experienced real difficulties over the last few years and my heart goes out to anyone currently unemployed or being made redundant - it aint easy to deal with mentally or emotionally, never mind being skint.

I agree with the OP that Hibs (and any other football club!) SHOULD be doing more to recognise this and accomodate unemployed fans - as well as showing compassion and social responsibility, there are also good business reasons for making sure unemployed fans don't get out of the habit of going to football matches - it's an expensive business and it would be foolish to assume that everyone will just troop back when times get easier - you never know, they might just discover something more satisfying to do than watching Hibs get gubbed every other week if you give them the chance!

Scouse Hibee
14-08-2012, 09:56 PM
The deserving and the undeserving poor?

You're supposed to be a scouser and should know better

100% support from me. Empty seats are in the stadium, let's use them and encourage those experiencing hard times to still feel part of the family.

A club like Hibs, with our roots, should be at forefront of compassion and justice

Oh dear, I thought someone might use the "you're supposed to be a Scouser" line of argument when they couldn't come up with anything better!

Good for you.

The Harp Awakes
14-08-2012, 10:22 PM
Don't be silly, the unemployed folk need plenty of time after the game to get their new cars home and get ready to hit George Street. :greengrin

A pretty crass remark even if made in jest. You need to take a long hard look at yourself as your posts on this thread will be offensive to those who have done everything to get a job and are desperate.

After leaving school I've been in full time employment for 30 years and in management for the last 16 of those years and I'm lucky that I don't know what it is like to be unemployed. What I do know from interviewing for dozens of roles over recent years is how difficult it is to get employment presently. For 1 role recently we advertised for we had 350 applicants. It is particularly diificult for school leavers to get jobs nowadays, even those who are well qualified.

Yes there will be people who will take advantage of the system and who do not want to work but that's up to the Government to deal with that.

The St Pats initiative should be commended. If we help out 8 out of 10 Hibs fans who are genuinely unemployed through no fault of their own then don't scupper it by focusing on the 2 out of 10 who may take advantage.

Scouse Hibee
14-08-2012, 10:26 PM
A pretty crass remark even if made in jest. You need to take a long hard look at yourself as your posts on this thread will be offensive to those who have done everything to get a job and are desperate.

After leaving school I've been in full time employment for 30 years and in management for the last 16 of those years and I'm lucky that I don't know what it is like to be unemployed. What I do know from interviewing for dozens of roles over recent years is how difficult it is to get employment presently. For 1 role recently we advertised for we had 350 applicants. It is particularly diificult for school leavers to get jobs nowadays, even those who are well qualified.

Yes there will be people who will take advantage of the system and who do not want to work but that's up to the Government to deal with that.

The St Pats initiative should be commended. If we help out 8 out of 10 Hibs fans who are genuinely unemployed through no fault of their own then don't scupper it by focusing on the 2 out of 10 who may take advantage.

No they won't my original post on the matter was in no means offensive to those who are unemployed and genuinely seeking work as opposed to benefit scroungers. I suggest you go back and read it!

And who's scuppering it? I gave my opinion which I am entitled to do so get off your high horse!

Hibernia&Alba
14-08-2012, 10:33 PM
Oh dear, I thought someone might use the "you're supposed to be a Scouser" line of argument when they couldn't come up with anything better!

Good for you.

It isn't about coming up with anything better. A Hibs fan, particuarly one of your background, should know better than to criticise the initiative on the basis that 'scroungers' might take advantage.

The proposal is positive and is undeserving of cynicism that lacks any evidence. We have thousands of empty seats and should be looking to welcome all in the Hibs family to fill them. The fact that some will pay less than you and I shouldn't matter a jot. Modern football is very expensive to many.

Scouse Hibee
14-08-2012, 10:39 PM
It isn't about coming up with anything better. A Hibs fan, particuarly one of your background, should know better than to criticise the initiative on the basis that 'scroungers' might take advantage.

The proposal is positive and is undeserving of cynicism that lacks any evidence. We have thousands of empty seats and should be looking to welcome all in the Hibs family to fill them. The fact that some will pay less than you and I shouldn't matter a jot. Modern football is very expensive to many.

Look my background has nothing to do with this what so ever, I gave my opinion on an initiative that has been suggested for the unemployed which I am entitled to do. I pointed out my reasons for not agreeing with the initiative, if you don't agree then fair enough but don't go quoting this background or scouser/you should know better crap to justify it! I don't believe I ever stated about folk paying less than me on this occasion.

dalmeny62
14-08-2012, 10:42 PM
£280 a month is more than enough for a single person to live off when they are getting their rent, council tax etc.....paid. Ask the guy working full time on minimum wage and paying full rent if he'd like to have £280 a month to pay for things. Cars, SKY TV, Mobile phones, Internet aren't a given and should be seen as a luxury, along with the football.

Just for the record, not everyone on benefit gets they're rent paid in full. For example, a job seeker under 25 would get £290 per month towards rent to a private landlord and no more.

There's many misconceptions and myths surrounding the benefit system and mainly media driven. A lot of folk are living in genuine poverty and the numbers are only going to increase under the coalition. I witness it everyday in my line of work.

Any respite for those unemployed can only be a good thing and will hopefully benefit the club in the longer term. You'll get chancers in any system, that's just life, but the majority are not and sadly tarred with the same
brush.

Hibernia&Alba
14-08-2012, 10:55 PM
Look my background has nothing to do with this what so ever, I gave my opinion on an initiative that has been suggested for the unemployed which I am entitled to do. I pointed out my reasons for not agreeing with the initiative, if you don't agree then fair enough but don't go quoting this background or scouser/you should know better crap to justify it! I don't believe I ever stated about folk paying less than me on this occasion.

Fair enough, you buy into the Daily Mail type prejudices of 'scroungers' as you call them, even though you are yet to meet anyone who may benefit from this idea. Coming from a region that has suffered from mass unemployment, even though the vast majority weren't scroungers at all, I'm surprised you would be so judgemental.

rcarter1
14-08-2012, 11:01 PM
This sounds like a grand idea to me. Frankly, if someone has a problem with a fan putting in some hours to get a ticket to a match, then by gum..

However, the points regarding low income workers is a good one. If they are busy working, it would be harder for them to put in a shift for Hibs to get a ticket than someone unemployed. Low income labour is unfortunately a problem that our society seems to have little answer for - and which is an indictment upon the present form of the capitolist driven system.

If the scheme were exclusively reserved for those who are unemployed, I would ask, are the 'benefit slackers' more likely to put in a shift to get a ticket, than someone genuinely seeking employment? The fact that you have to work for the ticket virtually answers the question.

Scouse Hibee
14-08-2012, 11:06 PM
Fair enough, you buy into the Daily Mail type prejudices of 'scroungers' as you call them, even though you are yet to meet anyone who may benefit from this idea. Coming from a region that has suffered from mass unemployment, even though the vast majority weren't scroungers at all, I'm surprised you would be so judgemental.

Maybe because in the twenty years I have been in Edinburgh I have come across many such people who have no intention of working because why should they when they can live off benefits and ill gotten gains! Admittedly my job has brought me into contact with more of these people than I would otherwise have met. Are they Scroungers? Yes 100% no doubt about it, it these are the type of people that I hate to see benefit from initiatives like the one suggested. Not the genuine folk as I have already stated.

Scouse Hibee
14-08-2012, 11:09 PM
This sounds like a grand idea to me. Frankly, if someone has a problem with a fan putting in some hours to get a ticket to a match, then by gum..

However, the points regarding low income workers is a good one. If they are busy working, it would be harder for them to put in a shift for Hibs to get a ticket than someone unemployed. Low income labour is unfortunately a problem that our society seems to have little answer for - and which is an indictment upon the present form of the capitolist driven system.

If the scheme were exclusively reserved for those who are unemployed, I would ask, are the 'benefit slackers' more likely to put in a shift to get a ticket, than someone genuinely seeking employment? The fact that you have to work for the ticket virtually answers the question.

Eh? That's not what has been suggested to the club, the suggestion is to give concessionary prices to unemployed people.

rcarter1
14-08-2012, 11:20 PM
Eh? That's not what has been suggested to the club, the suggestion is to give concessionary prices to unemployed people.

Hmm.. Ive got the wrong end of the stick somewhere regards this. Looking back over the thread, I appear to have misunderstood the original intention of the suggestion by St. Pats. :doh:

I can understand why this causing such debate, still think its a positive idea, but perhaps to get the concession the person in question should put in some kind of shift for the club.

I may now keep :lips seal

shetlandhibee
15-08-2012, 12:00 AM
It would get attendances up. Quite a good idea I think:top marks

basehibby
15-08-2012, 12:01 AM
£71 per week.

Aye - like maybe a televised derby with a midday sunday kick off for example :wink:

Seriously, the way things have been going recently that would NOT have been such a bad idea!

Good idea generally though - along the lines of Hibs kids days sort of. A semi regular discount - £10 entrance maybe - for the unemployed would be a great gesture as well as helping to fill up those shiny new stands. Although I'm unsure as to how the logistics of proving unemployment etc would be managed.

Good luck in your quest btw - hang in there and "keep knocking on the door" as Yogi would say - one of these days you'll get the success your efforts deserve :thumbsup:

JohnStephens91
15-08-2012, 02:03 AM
St Mirren give concessionary rates to unemployed people, ask them for advice or information regarding it.

I see a lot of unemployed people come into the bar I work in, and previous bars I worked in as well, who are not looking for work and come in and spend about £60 a week on alcohol just in one bar, imagine if someone like that tried to use the system? There are people like this that do use and abuse the system and to give them entry at concession prices (£12 for Cat A and £14 for Cat B) is ridiculous. If they make cutbacks elsewhere they are able to afford to pay their way in at a regular price.

If the scheme does go ahead people should have an up to date letter from the Job Centre with a signature of someone who works there with details such as how many interviews you have been too and how many jobs applied for, and the ticket to be purchased at the very latest the Friday before the game takes place otherwise they pay an adult price.

Lucius Apuleius
15-08-2012, 05:23 AM
Are there benefit cheats? Yes
Are there people on the dole who have no intention of working? Yes
Are they the majority? No way.

We all know people who are unemployed and seem to have bees so since they left school 40 years ago and are in the pub every day. For every one of them there must be at least a dozen unemployed not in the pubs. Whilst I agree that everyone is entitled to their own opinions I am amazed at so many Hibs supporters opposed to this bearing in mind our whole reason for having been formed.

It also brings up a couple of other relevant points. I have said on many an occasion that one of the main reasons we have seen dwindling crowds is because of the recession and the number of people unemployed and not just because we are crap. The number of STs dwindled because they were not necessary and people had other priorities like feeding their families then picking and choosing their games. On a wider scope it should bring into play what has also been mentioned a couple of times. The number of people happy to buy a child ticket, some of them in their 20s and quite happily bragging about it. My opinion, that is theft. Surely having concessions for youngsters and auldsters is some sort of connection with our heritage? Why not expand these concessions? As for bloody students getting concessions!!!!!! Dinnae get me started. :greengrin

lord bunberry
15-08-2012, 05:46 AM
We should maybe consider cutting prices across the board its far to expensive to watch spl football

Phil MaGlass
15-08-2012, 10:13 AM
Would it be too difficult to use the unemployed as unpaid stewards pitch side at the home ends, my Dutch team use their own unemployed supporters as volunteer stewards and brings the cost of stewarding down drastically, the club also gives them the training needed aswell.
The club would be saving money and making a few Hibs fans who wouldnt be able to attend games very happy.

Pedantic_Hibee
15-08-2012, 10:25 AM
I've been unemployed for nearly 3 months, I've applied for countless jobs in that time and despite having paid tax and N.I for the last 14 years as a full-time worker, I've not even signed on.

I agree there are chancers, but there are a lot more that aren't.

JimBHibees
15-08-2012, 10:45 AM
Would it be too difficult to use the unemployed as unpaid stewards pitch side at the home ends, my Dutch team use their own unemployed supporters as volunteer stewards and brings the cost of stewarding down drastically, the club also gives them the training needed aswell.
The club would be saving money and making a few Hibs fans who wouldnt be able to attend games very happy.

What a great idea that is though imagine there will be some form of regulatory / training reason why it wouldnt happen. Personally think the Olympics showed exactly what can be done with organised use of volunteers maybe this is one area that football clubs should be looking at in the current economic climate.

Big Frank
15-08-2012, 11:04 AM
Fantastic idea from St Pats branch. :thumbsup:

:top marksVery well done from me. Helping less fortunate Hibbys getting to see the greenjerseys is fantastic.

Some of the posts on here are appalling! For the vast majority of unemployed, they'd rather be working. For the workshy, benefit scammers - this lot still wouldn't be interested in a reduced gate - they want things for free. People have posted hibs will lose money :confused: FFS!

Hopefully Hibernian will do something here. Once they see the success of this (goodwill still goes a long way), Hibernian should turn their attention to a reduced gate for youths

Again, well done St Pats and keep up the good work!

bawheid
15-08-2012, 11:09 AM
Fantastic idea from St Pats branch. :thumbsup:

:top marksVery well done from me. Helping less fortunate Hibbys getting to see the greenjerseys is fantastic.

Some of the posts on here are appalling! For the vast majority of unemployed, they'd rather be working. For the workshy, benefit scammers - this lot still wouldn't be interested in a reduced gate - they want things for free. People have posted hibs will lose money :confused: FFS!

Hopefully Hibernian will do something here. Once they see the success of this (goodwill still goes a long way), Hibernian should turn their attention to a reduced gate for youths

Again, well done St Pats and keep up the good work!

Spot on Frank and well done to St Pats for continuing to work towards trying to make Hibernian FC better.

Bad Martini
15-08-2012, 11:26 AM
Putting aside whether I or anyone else who is working thinks this is unfair (and I canny go every week due to the costs BTW) but putting that aside, IF this is to be done, it COULD be done fairly with attempts to block the lazy, unemployable *******s who leech from society.

For the avoidance of all doubt; that is NOT, the folk who actively seek work. who go to interviews and moreover, who have PAID IN all their working lives as many on this thread have. Indeed, I would re-do the whole "welfare" state to reflect this if it were up to me; you put **** all IN, you GET, **** all out. But thats another debate but, possibly connected.

Principles for cheap/free tickets:

1) These are given on a rota/occassional basis i.e. its not possible for one person to get a free/cheap ticket for the duration...it would be once a month or such like
2) The benefit is only available for those who are actively seeking work - dont know how you prove that but Im sure theres a way somehow.
3) The benefit is not given to anyone for any longer than 1 year (regardless of whether they are trying to work - cause lets face it, a LOT of folk who are unemployed that long ARE the very ****ers we're all disliking (not those who are still genuinely looknig after say 12-18 months and that Does happen)
4) There is a designated part of the ground for this scheme ideally, somewhere clear. NOT to show these people up but to do so in such a way as to make it clear you canny just go where you want for free. Its reasonable and its the same thing Hibs do when giving away free/cheap tickets for other groups such as schools etc
5) Thats of my head. There will be ways in which this could work to ensure lazy/cheats get **** all or at least, reduce their chances.

There might even be an age thing?? Could be anyone over x age gets 12 months, anyone over y age gets 8 months etc etc - the likelyhood being someone who was older had worked longer, paid more tax and CONTRIBUTED....I dunno, I wouldnt dismiss such a thing out of hand.

Thats the problem with the welfare state.....NOT the idea of helping those in need - I agree with that. Its the ****ers who put NOTHING in but take EVERYTHING out. We get rid of that problem, and schemes like this would be far easier to work.

:agree:

allezsauzee
15-08-2012, 11:36 AM
I have no time for people who can't be bothered working for a living and want things for nothing. However the grim reality is that there are a lot of people out there who through no fault of their own find themselves out of work. I don't see the problem with giving these guys a bit of help in tougher times, nobody seems to object to students getting concessions!
Admittedly going to the football could be regarded as a luxury,however as a lifelong supporter, for me going to watch Hibs is something I need to do.

Gatecrasher
15-08-2012, 11:41 AM
while i sympathise with unemployed people there are plenty of people who do work that cant afford to go to the football. I dont think an exeption can be made for that particular group while people who do work find it generally pricey as it is IMO.

I'm of the opinion that Scottish Football is way over priced (£22 for a friendly tonight for example :rolleyes:) and we will all benefit from some sort of pricing review in the SPL in particular.

The Modfather
15-08-2012, 11:48 AM
To play devils advocate - what about the employed Hibees that can't afford to go to matches?

Aaron
15-08-2012, 12:27 PM
To play devils advocate - what about the employed Hibees that can't afford to go to matches?

Then they should get a new job or get another and have two jobs. Judging by some of the comments on this thread it sounds like there are plenty to go around anyway! :wink:

cocopops1875
15-08-2012, 12:53 PM
Then they should get a new job or get another and have two jobs. Judging by some of the comments on this thread it sounds like there are plenty to go around anyway! :wink:

You appear to be trying to make a point ? Feel free to spit it out for us to thick to follow

Big Frank
15-08-2012, 01:10 PM

That'll be most of us.

Point is we need to start somewhere. If I was getting into a match and paying a £5 or £10 more than a hard up Hibby on the dole, it would not bother me in the slghtest and I would be really happy that fellow Hibby was in the ground cheering the cabbage!

Thats a different arguement to the one you are presenting, which is that Scottish Football is horrifically overpriced everywhere. That is for a different thread. (Tho' imo one of the most important issues facing our football in Scotland.)

Ours is a working class sport.

bob12345
15-08-2012, 02:47 PM

With the amount of people unemployed this is really hard to do. I've had people apply to for jobs at our organisation who are entirely inappropriate and folk attend interviews with no real interest in getting the job - clearly just there to tick a box.

On that basis, I find it hard to support this idea.

What about some sort of scheme where unemployed Hibees could do bits of work for the club in return for tickets? I.E. ticket office, maintenance, etc.

Sandy
15-08-2012, 03:31 PM
Not really sure what your point is, this thread is about unemployed people not people who are unable to work which I guess is is the category you fit into due to your PTSD? I'm all for the club supporting those with disabilities.

To be fair and i will tread carefully as i dont want to offend, You have an illness(apologies if this is not the correct term) i dont think for one moment that the poster was meaning people who "cant" work more people who "wont" work. As i and many others have said There are people who work Full time and maybe even have a side job who cannot afford to go to the football so what should/can we do about that ? i am all for giving kids tickets and introducing things for free days for Groups/Clubs/Charitys to get free tickets THE SEATS ARE THERE but this has to be done fairly and with the people who pay Full Price to attend in mind

Fair response folks sorry :thumbsup: Trying to get back to work now anyway, stuff what the docs say :agree:

DH1875
15-08-2012, 03:36 PM
while i sympathise with unemployed people there are plenty of people who do work that cant afford to go to the football. I dont think an exeption can be made for that particular group while people who do work find it generally pricey as it is IMO.

I'm of the opinion that Scottish Football is way over priced (£22 for a friendly tonight for example :rolleyes:) and we will all benefit from some sort of pricing review in the SPL in particular.

:agree::top marks

Just for the record, not everyone on benefit gets they're rent paid in full. For example, a job seeker under 25 would get £290 per month towards rent to a private landlord and no more.

There's many misconceptions and myths surrounding the benefit system and mainly media driven. A lot of folk are living in genuine poverty and the numbers are only going to increase under the coalition. I witness it everyday in my line of work.

Any respite for those unemployed can only be a good thing and will hopefully benefit the club in the longer term. You'll get chancers in any system, that's just life, but the majority are not and sadly tarred with the same
brush.

So what about the 20 year old who works his pan out full time for a poxy £730 a month before tax and has to pay full rent and council tax. Should he no get cheap tickets :confused:. I know loads of people on the dole who have NO intention of going to work and try everything in their power to get out of it. Giving them cheap/free tickets to the football, sorry not for me.

Hibernia&Alba
15-08-2012, 04:10 PM
That'll be most of us.

Point is we need to start somewhere. If I was getting into a match and paying a £5 or £10 more than a hard up Hibby on the dole, it would not bother me in the slghtest and I would be really happy that fellow Hibby was in the ground cheering the cabbage!

Thats a different arguement to the one you are presenting, which is that Scottish Football is horrifically overpriced everywhere. That is for a different thread. (Tho' imo one of the most important issues facing our football in Scotland.)

Ours is a working class sport.

:top marks

Very well said. This is my view also.

basehibby
15-08-2012, 04:41 PM

Got to say that from my experience this is a perfect description of the attitude displayed by employers.

Over the last few years I applied for hundreds of jobs and only ever heard anything if being invited for an interview.

This I could handle as I was aware of the large amount of applicants for any job. However, what really pished me off not to mention amazed me was the fact that the vast majority of employers I interviewed for DIDN'T BOTHER THEIR LAZY ERSES to let me know either way unless they were offering me a job!!! This included large corporations as well as small companies with the exception generally being public bodies.

I found this incredibly arrogant not to mention ungracious and unprofessional. I had travelled fairly long distances at my own expense and put in many hours in preparation for these interviews and the very least I expected was an indication of the outcome of the meeting - hopefully allied to some constructive feedback which could have helped me with subsequent interviews. Regretably this was very much the exception rather than the rule as most employers appear to be treating applicants with contempt if they do not actually end up offering them a job.

matty_f
15-08-2012, 04:46 PM
I think it's a good idea and you never know, the people that benefit from it might just keep coming once they're back in employment.

basehibby
15-08-2012, 04:58 PM

brush.

:agree: This! I never got a bean because my Mrs works and I'd been out of the country less than a few years before. I know there are reasons for this but it felt like a bit of a kick in the baws as many prior years of tax and NI counted for nothing.

What really got my goat though was ignorant ersholes implying I was a scrounger which was very far away from the truth. I realise that there are people fitting that description out there but the reality of the current era is that the vast majority are a victim of bungling bankers and eurocrats who are the REAL scroungers !

.Sean.
15-08-2012, 05:04 PM

Scaffs Corner :greengrin

I like the sound of this scheme - For example, I know of a fair few folk in the trade who have been out of work for a while and are desperate for some work. I'd be all for giving a freebie to these folk, we've a big stadium that needs filling.

As for the chancers that are happy to remain unemployed as they're better off? I know a few like this and they make me sick. They can away and fling ***** at themselves.

cad
15-08-2012, 08:41 PM
Ive been down the road twice in 8 months after 33 years non stop graft ,its no easy out there ,plenty people in the same boat Im not anything special,
good at my job ,good time keeper honest days graft boom arse fell out of the market you think it will never happen to you but when it does the dole and everything is a whole new ball game ,5 months 2 weeks it took me to get a job ,lost £8k a year ,bonuses and pension down the tubes ,tell you what its great to get up in the morning with something to do.

Where as looking at a laptop searching for jobs or writing letters everyday does do your head in, 4 walls etc ,non reply to CV`s or telephone call ,letters are just the tip of a huge iceberg ,try false jobs ,try the fraud squad ,bogus companies ,background checks at a £10 a pop 3500 applicants 5 jobs 20 odd interviews someone made a killing eh, even Gumtree after one when the new jobs come in everyday ,CV`s you sent 6 weeks ago eventually getting back to you urgencey is not there main priority ,if a guy or gal can get a bit of enjoyment watching Hibs at a cheaper rate good luck to him ,reading some of the posts I dont think its a go`er ,must be some kind of sadist TBH,just missed relegation horsed 5-1 by the **** unemployed bored oot yer tits and
Easter Roads a pleasant afternoon out ,dont see it myself but hey thats just me ,to each their own.