PDA

View Full Version : Patience required

JimBHibees
14-08-2012, 08:30 AM
I think Sunday showed exactly how quickly things can change in football from being awful the week before to being so much better with the addition of a couple of experienced players and the central defence being sorted.

Just hope PF can continue to get his team in place which will put the club nearer to where we should be in the scheme of things. Have personally been impressed by the quality of the signings and others like Kuqi and a decent wide player would again help the team improve. Bottom line is there are now signs of improvement however we need a slow gradual improvement on a long term basis.

Persevere80
14-08-2012, 08:43 AM
Has PF Served his touchline ban now, that would help a little.

Saorsa
14-08-2012, 08:46 AM
Has PF Served his touchline ban now, that would help a little.That was the last of two games, still two suspended though.

ahibby
14-08-2012, 08:47 AM
It should have been surprising that we could go from the inept performances at Tannadice and the cup final to that of Sunday. As you say we can now see a possible work in progress and PF has shown me that he can get the team to perform at a standard good enough for top six. I should have been surprised by the performance on Sunday following my remarks last week and previous performances, but strangely I wasn't.

spike220
14-08-2012, 09:04 AM
I think Sunday showed exactly how quickly things can change in football from being awful the week before to being so much better with the addition of a couple of experienced players and the central defence being sorted.

Just hope PF can continue to get his team in place which will put the club nearer to where we should be in the scheme of things. Have personally been impressed by the quality of the signings and others like Kuqi and a decent wide player would again help the team improve. Bottom line is there are now signs of improvement however we need a slow gradual improvement on a long term basis.

Rod is that you?

JimBHibees
14-08-2012, 09:33 AM
Rod is that you?

Good point.

Off the bar
14-08-2012, 10:13 AM
the differance on the park is nearly as big as the differance in the chat on here! from the doom and gloom of this time last week to the optimism this week is what makes football and being a hibbie so great! If we can get 6 points from our next 2 games (and no reason why not) the chat will turn to can we make the group stages in next years champions league! I for one think we can! :wink:

Baldy Foghorn
14-08-2012, 01:39 PM

Good post Jim, we need to be patient with PF, but there are signs that he is stamping his mark on the squad.....

lord bunberry
14-08-2012, 01:44 PM
After last season i think we need to be showing signs of improvement sunday was much better and if we can keep that level of performance for the rest of the season then i think most people will see that as a sign were heading in the right direction

Wotherspiniesta
14-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Got to give him time.

Pat is very honest about what needs to be done at Hibs. You could see that from the first couple of games he was in charge. Even after the mauling we took against St Johnstone when he was watching in the stand. He mentioned something along the lines of how it was a "typical Hibs performance in recent times". He said midway through the season that the club as a whole need to start standing up to people. He said after the cup final that things are rotten and need to change.

Now that he's been allowed to bring in his own players, you can see the type of player/character he wants at Hibs. It was evident at one point during the game against Hearts on Sunday. A couple of seasons ago Templeton picked up the ball on the half way line and sauntered past non existant Hibs challenges to give Hearts the lead. On Sunday he tried the same and there was 4 players snarling around him, kicking his ankles to win the ball back. All 4 players were Pat Fenlon signings. Thats exactly the type of player we should be bringing to Easter Road and once the fans notice that commitment to the cause, they'll start coming back.

There's still tinkering to be done. We need more guile and a link between midfield and attack. We need a bit of pace out wide and a target man for Griffiths to play with. If we can add that to this new found tenacity we showed on Sunday, who knows?

JimBHibees
14-08-2012, 02:31 PM
Got to give him time.

Pat is very honest about what needs to be done at Hibs. You could see that from the first couple of games he was in charge. Even after the mauling we took against St Johnstone when he was watching in the stand. He mentioned something along the lines of how it was a "typical Hibs performance in recent times". He said midway through the season that the club as a whole need to start standing up to people. He said after the cup final that things are rotten and need to change.

Now that he's been allowed to bring in his own players, you can see the type of player/character he wants at Hibs. It was evident at one point during the game against Hearts on Sunday. A couple of seasons ago Templeton picked up the ball on the half way line and sauntered past non existant Hibs challenges to give Hearts the lead. On Sunday he tried the same and there was 4 players snarling around him, kicking his ankles to win the ball back. All 4 players were Pat Fenlon signings. Thats exactly the type of player we should be bringing to Easter Road and once the fans notice that commitment to the cause, they'll start coming back.

There's still tinkering to be done. We need more guile and a link between midfield and attack. We need a bit of pace out wide and a target man for Griffiths to play with. If we can add that to this new found tenacity we showed on Sunday, who knows?

Great example and you are right this is the attitude we want at ER.

Golden Bear
14-08-2012, 03:17 PM
Eventually I would hope that the team plays with a lot more attacking flair and imagination than has been shown up until now. I'll be content with a few victories under the belt to start with though.

Kato
14-08-2012, 04:59 PM

Really well said and a great sentiment. We've went a long way down in terms of what it takes to compete in Scottish football. There is no quick fix in our position - unless we get a huge slice of luck and the majority of PF's signings hit the ground running. I was struck by what Harry Rednap said last season when asked what the secret to being a good manager was and he replied being lucky in the transfer market as there is no guarantee every new player will work out. We may be lucky further if Caldwell, Handling or Stanton (swoon) can make some impact. I'm glad he's going for an older player like Shefki Kuqi as his type can teach the youngsters and the likes of Doyle a lot at this level, even if the level is ganting but especially because at this level you have to get stuck in and show some grit - which has been severely lacking all over the park.

Squealing pig
14-08-2012, 09:38 PM
Has PF Served his touchline ban now, that would help a little.

He's bk in dug out this weekend. Suspended 2 match ban mean what it says until end of season pending good behaviour. If he gets another touch line ban 2 games will concur.