PDA

View Full Version : NHC No team gb

H18sry
14-08-2012, 07:41 AM
Football

Report in the Times and BBC saying it's over :thumbsup:

:saltireflag:saltireflag:saltireflag:saltireflag:s altireflag:saltireflag:saltireflag:saltireflag:sal tireflag

Cabbage East
14-08-2012, 08:00 AM
Good riddance.

Keith_M
14-08-2012, 08:06 AM
The Scouse Git won't be very pleased, he seemed all in favour :wink:

Stonewall
14-08-2012, 08:32 AM
Football

Report in the Times and BBC saying it's over :thumbsup:

:saltireflag:saltireflag:saltireflag:saltireflag:s altireflag:saltireflag:saltireflag:saltireflag:sal tireflags

Who cares. Football shouldn't be an Olympic sport anyway.

Hibbyradge
14-08-2012, 08:35 AM
Any links? I can't find anything about it.

heretoday
14-08-2012, 08:39 AM
Doesn't the term Team GB tend to sideline Northern Ireland? Surely it should be Team UK, no?

Not that I could give two *****!

Part/Time Supporter
14-08-2012, 08:44 AM
Any links? I can't find anything about it.

It's backpage lead story in the Times (behind a paywall).

s.a.m
14-08-2012, 08:51 AM
Do they say why?

Part/Time Supporter
14-08-2012, 08:57 AM
Do they say why?

There's no mechanism to qualify a GB team. The qualification for the (European) men is the Euro under-21 championship, for the women it's their World Cup. If you allowed performance of England, Scotland, Wales and NI to count as qualification, then GB would have four shots to qualify, which is unfair on the other countries. Both England and Scotland have "qualified" for previous Olympics.

Dashing Bob S
14-08-2012, 08:57 AM
Do they say why?

1) Team is embarrasing pish from islands that produce no decent footballers

2) None of the host countries want it

3) Only players that are interested are clapped-out glory hunters

4) None of the fans, except a phone box full of tadgers, give a monkeys

Would be my guess.

marinello59
14-08-2012, 08:59 AM
And quite right too, no need for it now. It had served it's purpose by giving the Little Englanders and Little Scotlanders something to squabble about while the rest of us enjoyed the games. :devil:

Ritchie
14-08-2012, 08:59 AM
What else did you expect to happen??? :rolleyes:

Saorsa
14-08-2012, 09:01 AM

Would be my guess.:hilarious

Pretty Boy
14-08-2012, 09:09 AM
What else did you expect to happen??? :rolleyes:

It was going to be the end of international football as we knew it, apparently.

marinello59
14-08-2012, 09:14 AM
It was going to be the end of international football as we knew it, apparently.

Sadly it wasn't. Never mind, Levein is doing his bit as well. :greengrin

s.a.m
14-08-2012, 09:25 AM

Would be my guess.

That'll do me.

J-C
14-08-2012, 09:27 AM
Pretty sure we had a team GB purely for this Olympics as it was being held here, simply a one off.

DAVE1875
14-08-2012, 09:30 AM
Did they have a penalty shoot out to decide Team GB's survival?

marinello59
14-08-2012, 09:34 AM
Pretty sure we had a team GB purely for this Olympics as it was being held here, simply a one off.

I would say that was the only reason, they hoped that it would stimulate ticket sales for the Fitba if team GB took part. Did anybody actually care that much though, even down South? The main concern down there seemed to be whether Beckham should be in the squad or not. (Bizarre because Victoria has never kicked a ball in her life as far as I know. Unless they meant David which would be truly bonkers.) The whole thing has been a storm in a teacup.

Ritchie
14-08-2012, 09:39 AM

sssshhhhh..... don't say that.... the patriotic keyboard warriors *cough* RONNIE *cough* will have one less thing to get worked up about! :na na:

Gus
14-08-2012, 11:05 AM
It was a good chance for Scottish and Welsh footballers to sample a major tournament coz it aint gonna happen for their national teams anytime soon

joe breezy
14-08-2012, 11:07 AM
Team GB just served to make the difference between modest, hardworking athletes and spoilt brat footballers all the more stark

Gatecrasher
14-08-2012, 11:24 AM
The only reason Football was part of Team GB was to have Team GB play a part in every sport in the home Olympics. It was always going to be a one off. However the rest of Team GB gave me more to be exited about in the last 3 weeks than the Scottish National Team in the last 10 years.

Hibbyradge
14-08-2012, 11:33 AM
There's no mechanism to qualify a GB team. The qualification for the (European) men is the Euro under-21 championship, for the women it's their World Cup. If you allowed performance of England, Scotland, Wales and NI to count as qualification, then GB would have four shots to qualify, which is unfair on the other countries. Both England and Scotland have "qualified" for previous Olympics.

The only reason Football was part of Team GB was to have Team GB play a part in every sport in the home Olympics. It was always going to be a one off. However the rest of Team GB gave me more to be exited about in the last 3 weeks than the Scottish National Team in the last 10 years.

Are you suggesting that the SFA denied it's players the chance to take part in a one-off global tournament for no reason?

Not that many would have been good enough anyway.

Part/Time Supporter
14-08-2012, 11:43 AM
Are you suggesting that the SFA denied it's players the chance to take part in a one-off global tournament for no reason?

They didn't. Two of the women were Scotland players.

Hibbyradge
14-08-2012, 11:52 AM
They didn't. Two of the women were Scotland players.

They advised Scottish footballers not to take part.

Ross4356
14-08-2012, 12:09 PM
Brilliant news

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/aug/14/fa-team-gb-rio-olympics-2016?newsfeed=true

Part/Time Supporter
14-08-2012, 12:24 PM

Looks like some do want to destroy Scotland, Wales and NI, just so they can play in the Olympics.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19256236

The desire within the FA, including manager Hope Powell and the players, is to compete in Rio, but unifying the homes nations for World Cup qualifying would signal the end for the chances of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland to compete individually.

Sodje_18
14-08-2012, 12:56 PM
Team GB?

As far as I was aware it was team England and Wales. Good riddance to it.

marinello59
14-08-2012, 01:04 PM
Looks like some do want to destroy Scotland, Wales and NI, just so they can play in the Olympics.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19256236

Aye, in the womens game. Unlike the mens game the pinnacle of the Womens game is the Olympics, I hope they go for it.

ScottB
14-08-2012, 01:07 PM
Doesn't the term Team GB tend to sideline Northern Ireland? Surely it should be Team UK, no?

Not that I could give two *****!

The full name is Team Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Such is our various names for this country, somebody is always going to be left out of a shortened description!

There was little enthusiasm for the football side, note that about the only part of the Team GB Olympic wear that you can still buy is the football strip, so it was never likely to continue beyond these games. The team being pretty crap just added to that.

Football really doesn't need to be an Olympic sport, it has it's own, bigger stage and should be dropped, at least the Men's game anyway.

Scouse Hibee
14-08-2012, 01:09 PM
The Scouse Git won't be very pleased, he seemed all in favour :wink:

The Scouse Git couldn't really give two hoots, he just enjoyed using it to wind up the moaning phannies on here. :wink:

s.a.m
14-08-2012, 01:27 PM
The full name is Team Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Such is our various names for this country, somebody is always going to be left out of a shortened description!

There was little enthusiasm for the football side, note that about the only part of the Team GB Olympic wear that you can still buy is the football strip, so it was never likely to continue beyond these games. The team being pretty crap just added to that.

Football really doesn't need to be an Olympic sport, it has it's own, bigger stage and should be dropped, at least the Men's game anyway.

That's pretty much how I feel about it. Happy to see the women's game and youth football included, but the men's professional game is about as contrary to the 'Olympic spirit' as is possible. As another poster said above, their presence only served to remind us of the contrast between them, and the other atletes on show.

Scouse Hibee
14-08-2012, 01:36 PM
That's pretty much how I feel about it. Happy to see the women's game and youth football included, but the men's professional game is about as contrary to the 'Olympic spirit' as is possible. As another poster said above, their presence only served to remind us of the contrast between them, and the other atletes on show.

The woman's team is also being scrapped, a bit surprised at that to be honest as I thought the profile of the woman's game could do with the coverage.

SteveHFC
14-08-2012, 02:33 PM
Good. Didn't give a **** about them :aok:

Lungo--Drom
14-08-2012, 02:51 PM
After it was revealed that the SFA and the IFA had 'advised' players from their respective areas not to participate in Team GB (which was actually called Team GB & NI as NI is not part of GB but I digress)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-l1ljGDpinTA/T03VnQfL1KI/AAAAAAAADaA/MHxaFZAIkH4/s640/Capture_052.JPG

After that it became a total joke as IMHO it shouldn't have been allowed to play at all when two out of the four constituent FAs basically shot it down in flames :cb

It was a good chance for Scottish and Welsh footballers to sample a major tournament coz it aint gonna happen for their national teams anytime soon

heretoday
14-08-2012, 04:09 PM

As a rule I'd say that any sport whose biggest prize is not the Olympic gold medal should be excluded. I'm prepared to be disagreed with here!