PDA

View Full Version : Changes to Pitch at West Side?

Scouse Hibee
13-08-2012, 04:52 PM
Mentioned this after the Huddersfield friendly also, the touchline at the West is now right on the edge of the pitch turf meaning anything over the line has a slight step down. It was never like this last season when there was a couple of feet of pitch turf after the line.

Is this one of PF's changes to the stadium?

woodythehibee
13-08-2012, 05:04 PM
Mentioned this after the Huddersfield friendly also, the touchline at the West is now right on the edge of the pitch turf meaning anything over the line has a slight step down. It was never like this last season when there was a couple of feet of pitch turf after the line.

Is this one of PF's changes to the stadium?

It's the same on the East side too. After the touch line it is only the astro there.

Levenhibee
13-08-2012, 06:22 PM
well it gives us a wider pitch to play on. We can also bring the touchlines in if it suits the team.

ahibby
14-08-2012, 08:36 AM
Probably makes it more difficult than otherwise for wingers, which we suffered against in cf, and also will have a wee affect on corner kicks, giving keepers a bit longer to see the ball. Works for both sides though. Must be an advantage to us though otherwise would be pointless.

Bighoose
14-08-2012, 09:02 AM
Pitch was like this last season, at West Stand side anyway.

big-mo
14-08-2012, 09:59 AM
It is only there for the benefit of the linesmen, sorry, assistant referees, so that the don't wear down the turf running up and down the same area, you will find that a lot of modern ground have turf carpet surrounding the pitch, you will also see it in the technical areas.

Scouse Hibee
14-08-2012, 01:23 PM

No it wasn't it has changed this season.

dangermouse
15-08-2012, 06:21 AM

Oh yes it was :greengrin Touchline was right up to the Astro (West Stand) last season.

Pretty Boy
15-08-2012, 07:10 AM
The pitch was definitely right up to the astro on the east side last season, no idea about the west.

down-the-slope
15-08-2012, 07:27 AM
As a West Stander I'm with DM - no change from last season.

Other way to check is the SPL pitch sizes as all dimensions have to be intimated before season satarts for competitions (I think you can have dofferent for different administered comps - so could have one size for SPL and one for Scottish cup. Folks might remember in a UEFA comp Rangers changed their to narrower when they where cack under Watty) and these can't then be changed duing competition.

WindyMiller
15-08-2012, 07:44 AM

Other way to check is the SPL pitch sizes as all dimensions have to be intimated before season satarts for competitions (I think you can have dofferent for different administered comps - so could have one size for SPL and one for Scottish cup. Folks might remember in a UEFA comp Rangers changed their to narrower when they where cack under Watty) and these can't then be changed duing competition.

Souness......perhaps both?

Craigyno1
15-08-2012, 07:50 AM
It has looked that the touchline is so close to the edge of the grass that the ball will roll off the grass onto the astro before it fully crosses the line. If this is the case, it must make it tricky to keep the ball in play if it gets tight out wide. Anyone confirm this?

down-the-slope
15-08-2012, 08:15 AM

Maybe Souness too. I think it was the start of Rangers money problems when Gers were getting ripped by decent teams and they narrowed pitch so that they could deny space with it returning to 'normal' size for SPL matches (when they got to final?).

Greenheart
15-08-2012, 08:47 AM
well it gives us a wider pitch to play on. We can also bring the touchlines in if it suits the team.

The pitch size needs to be registered with the authorities and then needs to remain the same for that competition.

Scouse Hibee
15-08-2012, 09:45 AM
There is a difference from last season, there is now a slight step between the edge of the pitch and the astro! The line last season had more pitch grass beyond it.

down-the-slope
15-08-2012, 02:20 PM
There is a difference from last season, there is now a slight step between the edge of the pitch and the astro! The line last season had more pitch grass beyond it.

For some reason this eminds me of a certain player when returning to Hibs having been at Luton...reporter asks....'so do you preffer Grass or Astro Turf'.....'Eh Dunno...never smoked Astro Turf'........:rolleyes:

Stevie Reid
15-08-2012, 02:23 PM

Maybe Souness too. I think it was the start of Rangers money problems when Gers were getting ripped by decent teams and they narrowed pitch so that they could deny space with it returning to 'normal' size for SPL matches (when they got to final?).

I'm pretty sure Souness did it in a home European tie against Dynamo Kiev, to nullify the threat of their wingers. Rangers won through IIRC.