PDA

View Full Version : Card display yesterday

Chuck Rhoades
13-08-2012, 10:19 AM
We tried our first card display at home yesterday. Shambles.

Poor ticket sales and 12:30pm kick-off meant the stand was pretty empty and people weren't in the ground for the teams coming out. This impacted participation.

100 wavers either side of the card display which was a fist that we use on a lot of our banners/two-sticks. Banner with 'Paddy Power' at the bottom.

Half the wavers were nicked, saw loads of wee laddies strolling home with them after the game. They usually leave them as they know the group has purchased them and reuse them. ***** knows what was different this time!

Live and learn. Doubt we will do card again unless we know it's a sell-out (which won't happen anytime soon).

Original design we tried:
http://newspaper.li/static/146e0559872e9e5...26e241b335e.JPG (http://newspaper.li/static/146e0559872e9e54bccdf26e241b335e.JPG)

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/9820/photoywuh.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/820/photoywuh.jpg/)

Atmosphere was class, best since the new stand was built? Going at it for 90minutes, rest of the support joining in with the new songs and drum seems to help a lot. It was more a defiance from our support considering Hearts were coming for a 'party' after the SCF. Still waiting to find out when the party starts as they were *****, even at 1-0 up.

Thanks to those who participated.

Onceinawhile
13-08-2012, 10:33 AM
It could have been a lot better tbh, however I suppose its a learning curve. Definitely need a bigger crowd for it to work. I would also suggest some black card s around the edges to give more distinction to the shape.

Siralbertkidd
13-08-2012, 10:37 AM
The drum is a big no for me. Irritating as anything.

Cabbage East
13-08-2012, 10:37 AM
It was better yesterday but we still have a long, long way to go to get back to the atmosphere created in the old east. The team on the park has a bearing on that too.

Fair play for the effort.

Scouse Hibee
13-08-2012, 10:38 AM
Good effort all the same, to be honest I couldn't really decide what it was and thought at one point it looked like a middle finger display but thought surely not :greengrin

seanraff07
13-08-2012, 10:47 AM
Good effort all the same, to be honest I couldn't really decide what it was and thought at one point it looked like a middle finger display but thought surely not :greengrin

Cheers for the future idea, next display at Roseburn Stand at PBS - big green hand giving the V-sign :greengrin

It could have been worse, but it could also have been a lot better. Think we have learned from it, card displays maybe aren't the best idea at ER unless ticket sales really improve. Still look on the bright side, we at least tried to make a good display in our end, what did Hearts do in their end for their so-called party? Baring in mind they had all summer to plan something.

Ozyhibby
13-08-2012, 10:56 AM
Keep up the good work. It's the team on the park that needs to improve for the real benefits of this to pay off. Hopefully yesterday was a sign that things are starting to pick up.

Saorsa
13-08-2012, 11:19 AM
Good effort all the same, to be honest I couldn't really decide what it was and thought at one point it looked like a middle finger display but thought surely not :greengrincould be an idea for next time :greengrin

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/jamie1971/finger.gif

Johnny Clash
13-08-2012, 11:20 AM
Good effort. A few empty seats and seems like a lot of black cards in the middle of design?

Keep The Faith!

happiehibbie
13-08-2012, 11:22 AM
I really felt sorry for you yesterday

but TF sitting in front of me i hope took notice i think we need to send him the DVD of the field of dreams

the crowd yesterday was shocking

the East was empty i dont know how empty the west was but Hibernian really need to look at closing one of the stands to save money

rcarter1
13-08-2012, 11:44 AM
All sides of the ground were sparse, but :top marks for the idea with the card display.

Ross4356
13-08-2012, 11:46 AM

but TF sitting in front of me i hope took notice i think we need to send him the DVD of the field of dreams

the East was empty i dont know how empty the west was but Hibernian really need to look at closing one of the stands to save money

Good effort guys and keep up the good word, maybe a card display at the PBS would work

goosefat
13-08-2012, 11:59 AM
Hmm...

Not exactly Olympic opening ceremony standard, was it.

.Sean.
13-08-2012, 12:00 PM
Good effort guys.

However, like plenty others, not a fan of the drum at all.

Paisley Hibby
13-08-2012, 12:06 PM
Hmm...

Hey - no need for that mate. At least they tried.

down-the-slope
13-08-2012, 12:08 PM
I was not in game till 10 minutes after KO (personal choice of other priorities) but its been discussed that ER crowds are very last minute at the best of KO times - for early ones its honking.

Good effort and its always the case that you learn more by doing than talking.....so well done

As for those moaning about the Drum - wonder what they would have made of all the shocking noise made at the Olympic events

Scouse Hibee
13-08-2012, 12:08 PM

No,no no and double no!

Matt92
13-08-2012, 12:09 PM
Am I the only one who thinks it turned out looking like a Nazi/Hitler salute? :greengrin

down-the-slope
13-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Ross should have asked 'Paddy Power'......are you getting paid by them for that message ? (I know its also a manager message)..but it might cause issues with club sponsors if they think another business is getting free ride.....Remember a certain footballers Underpants :greengrin

Chuck Rhoades
13-08-2012, 12:25 PM
Ross should have asked 'Paddy Power'......are you getting paid by them for that message ? (I know its also a manager message)..but it might cause issues with club sponsors if they think another business is getting free ride.....Remember a certain footballers Underpants :greengrin

No corporate involvement. Club were briefed before and had no issues with it.

down-the-slope
13-08-2012, 12:29 PM
No corporate involvement. Club were briefed before and had no issues with it.

:tsk tsk: get the buggers to pay for card & flags then :wink:

Famous5forever
13-08-2012, 12:30 PM
10 out of 10 for effort 4 out of 10 for application lest just stick to backing the team these displays just wont work till the stand is almost full.

goosefat
13-08-2012, 12:32 PM
Hey - no need for that mate. At least they tried.

:violin:

Nelly070
13-08-2012, 12:36 PM

Think youll find the olympic opening ceremony was done using LED lighting !

Well done to the guys for trying to generate some enthusiam, it could have been better publicised though, I knew nothing of it until I seen a handwritten sign when I entered the stadium 5 mins after kick-off !

Golden Bear
13-08-2012, 12:47 PM
I used to hate the Livvy drums but yesterday I think the drums added to the atmosphere. In fact from my seat in the West there were times when I thought I was watching the Brazilians play.

Fact.

:wink:

Speedway
13-08-2012, 12:47 PM
The best card was surely Deegan's for going through Templeton. That was some challenge.

ano hibby
13-08-2012, 12:59 PM
Well done for effort & i liked the drum, thought we did our best to drown them out. Keep trying chaps, key ingedient is a winning team and more bums on seats.

rcarter1
13-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Hmm...

Your comment is not olympic standard. It is worthy of a yam really.

Future17
13-08-2012, 01:17 PM
Good effort - hopefully the crowds increase over the course of the season as the football improves and you can try again.

marinello59
13-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Hmm...

No need really is there?

Hibee Ryan
13-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Love the idea of displays and the fact that the movement puts real emphasis on supporting the team in a public manner but as said before the section needs to be sold out so away games are probably a better option but no idea how hard it would be to get the home clubs to allow displays and such.

Keep up the good work, oh and I love the drum! Keeps the beat and I think it made songs get further more quickly! :agree:

How about a bit of since I was young :wink:! Brilliant catchy song something along the lines of:

Since I was young
I've followed on
Hibernian FC
Are the team for me
:pfgwa

Viva_Palmeiras
13-08-2012, 01:23 PM
Hmm...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CySYwZNH65I&feature=youtube_gdata_player

;)

Chuck Rhoades
13-08-2012, 01:45 PM
Love the idea of displays and the fact that the movement puts real emphasis on supporting the team in a public manner but as said before the section needs to be sold out so away games are probably a better option but no idea how hard it would be to get the home clubs to allow displays and such.

Keep up the good work, oh and I love the drum! Keeps the beat and I think it made songs get further more quickly! :agree:

How about a bit of since I was young :wink:! Brilliant catchy song something along the lines of:

Since I was young
I've followed on
Hibernian FC
Are the team for me
:pfgwa

Motherwell, Falkirk, Rangers, Dunfermline all sing this - no thanks.

Hibee Ryan
13-08-2012, 01:50 PM
Motherwell, Falkirk, Rangers, Dunfermline all sing this - no thanks.

Only reason I suggested it is because the drum would be a major part... I really like the drum idea and wouldn't mind a couple of songs of which the drum is a major part, if you have others then I will defo join in:aok:

Ryan91
13-08-2012, 02:13 PM
The drum is a big no for me. Irritating as anything.

I'd disagree, having a drum I feel encourages people to get involved and sing. It helps to amplify the noise, as people want to be heard over the drum.

For me, the drum stays.

frazeHFC
13-08-2012, 02:29 PM
I don't think the atmosphere would have been what it was without the drum yesterday. The simple 'Hibees' chants are sung much louder now that the drum is there. Songs like Alee Alee Aleh Ohhhh would not have caught on so well without the drum, and there are other songs that it helped too. No point in copying songs that other SPL sides have established, but there are always folk in Sect43 trying to think of new ones or get ideas from songs done abroad etc.

Franck Stanton
13-08-2012, 02:46 PM
Whilst the display wasn't that great, it isn't the fault of those that organised it. They deserve 10/10 for the idea and effort - keep it going lads , there are more people like it than don't. As for the drum, I personally dont have any feelings either way, however........there have been a few jambo in-breds posted that it was annoying the #### out of them , so, on that basis alone bang it even louder lads. [ If the people decrying the display would use as much effort in getting involved then it would be a better final effort].

RIP
13-08-2012, 03:01 PM
Sorry the six of us couldnae be there yesterday - half were in Memphis and player of the year had a football toiurney in Cumbernauld.

Flags
On previous flag days we always collected the flags either after the display or at half time

This was to stop mums and dads thinking they were freebies :greengrin

Franck Le God
13-08-2012, 03:33 PM
I liked the drum yesterday. Thought it really added to the atmosphere and got people clapping along even if they weren't singing, which all adds to the noise.

I think it's best saved for adding to the atmosphere, hearing a drum but hardly anyone singing always seems forced and , IMO, a bit naff.

goosefat
13-08-2012, 03:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CySYwZNH65I&feature=youtube_gdata_player

;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS7nqwGt4-I

:na na:

neilmartinrocks
13-08-2012, 04:50 PM
Your comment is not olympic standard. It is worthy of a yam really.

Hmmm not exactly wide of the mark there.:greengrin

RoYO!
13-08-2012, 05:07 PM
V complicated design for so few seats no?

Did it say anywhere that the flags weren't freebies?

Liking all the efforts tho

hibsdaft70
13-08-2012, 05:31 PM
I like the idea of the displays but the slight issue I have is that I like the teams to come out to a wall of noise to fire them up (particularly in a derby) but when holding a card in both hands or a flag in one hand you are unable to clap. I did hold the card up but would have preferred to be able to clap. What about some ticker tape or streamers to throw, that way you can launch your projectiles then clap as well. As long as this isn't a danger to those in front then there would be no problem. Just sayin......

NAE NOOKIE
13-08-2012, 05:56 PM
Once again a well done to you guys and girls for the effort you put in. Sometimes things dont work out, but it doesnt mean they shouldnt be tried. Instead of a card display why not go for a huge surfer with the same design, but maybe not with the Paddy Power bit, it does sound like an advert for a well known bookie.

I also liked the drum because it does get folk involved ... mind you, sitting in the FF I'm not right next to it, but it did have some affect on folk in the FF IMO.

I'll never tire of saying that section 43 should be behing the goals ( preferably in a standing area ) in the FF bottom deck I just think it would work so much better there.

Anyway .... keep up the good work.

The_Todd
13-08-2012, 06:10 PM
Don't be too disheartened. Would have always been an uphill struggle with such a poor crowd. Don't give in, and give it another shot.

:flag:

wazoo1875
13-08-2012, 06:15 PM
I'm in 41 and whilst we were all holding up our cards there were just too many empty seats for it to work properly. A shame really as those seats did fill up and that would have looked brilliant had it worked. Very good effort tho and a good design.

Saorsa
13-08-2012, 06:21 PM
I'm in 41 and whilst we were all holding up our cards there were just too many empty seats for it to work properly. A shame really as those seats did fill up and that would have looked brilliant had it worked. Very good effort tho and a good design.I think they'd be better just sticking tae flags or steamers, as you say people just dinnae get in tae games at ER in enough time for it tae work with the card displays.

wazoo1875
13-08-2012, 06:29 PM
I think they'd be better just sticking tae flags or steamers, as you say people just dinnae get in tae games at ER in enough time for it tae work with the card displays.

I'm guilty of this masel usually but I was in early yesterday. I'm with you on the flags and streamers, tho I think that particular design would've looked the dugs baws if it'd worked :-)

Levenhibee
13-08-2012, 06:45 PM
Keep the drum(s) but bring in some trumpets and Trombones.

As for flags, I've still got mine from back in May :duck:

Saorsa
13-08-2012, 06:47 PM

As for flags, I've still got mine from back in May :duck::rolleyes:

FifeHibernian
13-08-2012, 07:00 PM
Think it's brilliant when we have a big display at a game. A few have said that yesterday's card display didn't work so well because of a lack of numbers but if we start getting close to full capacity think displays would look great. Could just do streamers and stuff for the time being as they also look brilliant and don't require so many people. Keep up the work anyway and hope you've have got something planned for the next home game!

SaulGoodman
13-08-2012, 07:09 PM
I wouldn't go blaming people for taking the flags, they probably got confused after the final in May. Where we were told we could keep the flags.

Levenhibee
13-08-2012, 07:14 PM

:rolleyes:

It gets worse, I kept the match programme as well

Saorsa
13-08-2012, 07:18 PM
It gets worse, I kept the match programme as wellmy :rolleyes: was about the trumpets and trombones, I couldnae care less what you done with the flag. I sit 3 or 4 rows in front of the drum and it's no bad but if anybody starts blowing a trumpet or trombone in my lug they'll be playing tunes when they fart :wink:

andyf5
13-08-2012, 07:23 PM
I really appreciate the efforts made by section 43 and the drum was good. People can sit elsewhere if they don't like it.

Last season at some games the only thing I enjoyed at ER was section 43

Sometimes things don't work out but keep trying.

Levenhibee
13-08-2012, 07:26 PM
my :rolleyes: was about the trumpets and trombones, I couldnae care less what you done with the flag. I sit 3 or 4 rows in front of the drum and it's no bad but if anybody starts blowing a trumpet or trombone in my lug they'll be playing tunes when they fart :wink:

Now that would be worth seeing/hearing:greengrin

StarMan10
13-08-2012, 07:42 PM
Bit off topic but noticed that we were still singing 'We hate Glasgow Rangers...' Should replace Glasgow with Sevco imo!

Bill Milne
14-08-2012, 09:33 AM
We tried our first card display at home yesterday. Shambles.

Poor ticket sales and 12:30pm kick-off meant the stand was pretty empty and people weren't in the ground for the teams coming out. This impacted participation.

100 wavers either side of the card display which was a fist that we use on a lot of our banners/two-sticks. Banner with 'Paddy Power' at the bottom.

Half the wavers were nicked, saw loads of wee laddies strolling home with them after the game. They usually leave them as they know the group has purchased them and reuse them. ***** knows what was different this time!

Live and learn. Doubt we will do card again unless we know it's a sell-out (which won't happen anytime soon).

Original design we tried:
http://newspaper.li/static/146e0559872e9e5...26e241b335e.JPG (http://newspaper.li/static/146e0559872e9e54bccdf26e241b335e.JPG)

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/9820/photoywuh.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/820/photoywuh.jpg/)

Atmosphere was class, best since the new stand was built? Going at it for 90minutes, rest of the support joining in with the new songs and drum seems to help a lot. It was more a defiance from our support considering Hearts were coming for a 'party' after the SCF. Still waiting to find out when the party starts as they were *****, even at 1-0 up.

Thanks to those who participated.

I couldn't work out what this was from the West Lower. Frankly, it looked like an advert for a well known bookies. Not very well thought out!!

Chuck Rhoades
14-08-2012, 09:41 AM
I couldn't work out what this was from the West Lower. Frankly, it looked like an advert for a well known bookies. Not very well thought out!!

It was a play on words for a well known bookies - not advertising them though.

Gettin' Auld
14-08-2012, 09:48 AM

The South Stand was full of trumpets on sunday!!

Ross4356
14-08-2012, 12:00 PM
Hmm...

Nope but more than you tried to do

Famous5forever
15-08-2012, 07:20 AM
Nope but more than you tried to do

We out did them with our card display at the final and we out did them with our card display on Sunday :na na: