PDA

View Full Version : Lewis Stevenson - Discussion Thread

Sergey
12-08-2012, 06:51 PM
The jury is out for me. After watching the 1st half (on TV) I wasn't even aware he was on the park.

What's the general forum opinion?

down-the-slope
12-08-2012, 06:53 PM
The jury is out for me. After watching the 1st half (on TV) I wasn't even aware he was on the park.

:stirrer:

hibee_girl
12-08-2012, 06:54 PM
I like him, think we're better with him in the team than without. Watched him closely today and he didn't misplace any passes, just because he wasn't charging into tackles like Deegan and Cairney doesn't mean he wasn't effective. Superb pass from him to Spoony for the goal today also :agree:

Sean1875
Genuinely didnt realise he was playing until I noticed he got the ball about 25-30 minutes in. He's a good squad player, but I wouldnt have him in my starting eleven.

WindyMiller
Wasn't able to go to-day but his "performance" last week was abysmal.

I like the lad, and 5 (?) managers have used him but perhaps it's time for him to move on?

Wotherspiniesta
12-08-2012, 06:55 PM
Thought he was quiet, but played his part in the goal.

Would like to get a creative player in beside Deegan.

BarneyK

I thought he was ok. No he didn't stand out particularly, but he was part of a midfield that performed their role with great diligence. It was noticeable that we gave ground for about 5/10 minutes after he went off.

theonlywayisup

Well my view, is that there are three players on the pitch today that are not good enough and have to be binned. They are Stevenson, Claros and Wotherspoon.

Stevenson was good last season in a very poor team. But, one view of Cairney and he did more in the first sixty minutes (he tired after then) than Stevenson does in a number of games. Time for the new blood to come in.

BarneyK
12-08-2012, 06:56 PM
I like him, think we're better with him in the team than without. Watched him closely today and he didn't misplace any passes, just because he wasn't charging into tackles like Deegan and Cairney doesn't mean he wasn't effective. Superb pass from him to Spoony for the goal today also :agree:

:agree:

jdships
12-08-2012, 07:01 PM
:stirrer:

My thoughts exactly.
I find it quite interesting that every one of the last five managers have used him on a regular basis .
Is the OP saying they are ALL wrong :confused:
We have had Rankine ,Obrien, Ivan for a while , Claros so who will be next for "the Treatment"

Nuitdelune
12-08-2012, 07:03 PM
I have always liked him--just saying, don't hurt me!

NorthNorfolkHFC
12-08-2012, 07:03 PM
That midfield we played against today was poor.

He did not impose himself. No goal threat as well.

HibbyAndy
12-08-2012, 07:05 PM
Lewis Stevenson would be in my 1st 11 every day off the week.

NorthNorfolkHFC
12-08-2012, 07:11 PM
I thought he was ok. No he didn't stand out particularly, but he was part of a midfield that performed their role with great diligence. It was noticeable that we gave ground for about 5/10 minutes after he went off.

I just seen the great diligence part?

Really? We drew 1-1 each and improved a from a disgraceful performance. We didn't beat man united! The hearts midfield was rank consisting of wee boys and a right back, their manager slated all their performances.

If we added a midfielder with the calibre of Deegan to the middle of the park we might get somewhere.

edwards
12-08-2012, 07:13 PM
:taxi Sorry folks but he has done exatly what I thought he would do when he got that years extension sit back and take the money lets use his wage for a scout or two who could go out and get us a couple of young prospects from other clubs.

LeighLoyal
12-08-2012, 07:17 PM
:taxi

JCHibby
12-08-2012, 07:23 PM
:taxi Sorry folks but he has done exatly what I thought he would do when he got that years extension sit back and take the money lets use his wage for a scout or two who could go out and get us a couple of young prospects from other clubs.

Incredible are folk never happy?

Not every midfielder is there to charge forward and be in and about the game all the time. Lewis will be a very good player this season with the addition of Deegan. It will allow for Lewis to sit in front of the back four pass the ball knowing he has a damn good player in the engine room with him now.

Huge improvement from last week and something to build on, instead of praising the players we still look for faults on who was ****** this week.:brickwall:brickwall

steviehibsleith
12-08-2012, 07:24 PM
No doubting he is a tidy player with the ball and doesnt give up posession.

My issue is that if hes a defensive midfielder I rarely see him covering his defenders and never wins a header.
If hes a attacking midfielder I rarely see him in a attacking role.
Also as a midfielder id like to see him coming for the ball more often rather than bypassing the midfield - good players want the ball they demand it.

And doesnt have great pace and certainly isnt a box to box midfielder.

DH1875
12-08-2012, 07:25 PM
I'd keep him. Thought he done OK today :agree:.

500miles
12-08-2012, 07:42 PM
Cracking pass for the goal - and there is no doubt that it was entirely intentionally. For me his ability to make that sort of pass is regularly evident.
I also feel that he is a good player when you're looking to keep hold of the ball in midfield.
I think there are far worse players out there to compliment Deegans more aggressive style.

Baldy Foghorn
12-08-2012, 07:44 PM
I'd keep him. Thought he done OK today :agree:.

I like LS, can never fault his comittment, never hides....Today I thought he was average, and was poor last week. Hope he finds his form again, and could do well with Cairney and Deegan....

easty
12-08-2012, 08:18 PM
He's not good enough. If we want to be a top 6 side then there's nae place in the team for Lewis Stevenson. If we're happy to progress with the same ***** we've seen for the last few years then let's get him signed up long term.

J-C
12-08-2012, 08:26 PM
I didn't realise he was playing till commentator mentioned he was injured, don't know if this was hampering him but noticed a difference in the midfield when Claros replaced him. Not sure just where his true position is, has played left back/left mid/holding mid, you could've played Claros as holding mid, Stevenson in Cairney's position and then allow Cairney more freedom to go further forward, linking up with Sparky.

bingo70
12-08-2012, 08:38 PM
He tries hard but at no point do we ever miss him when he doesn't play as he ultimately offers nothing, perfect example was the semi final last year when everyone was raving about him and saying how much we'd miss him.

Imo we should have let him go in the summer

weedgiehibbie
12-08-2012, 08:46 PM
StevenHappy to say I'm a Stevenson fan

defo not the best midfilder ive seen in regrards toquality butI'm happy with his work rat and effort, he seems to be the type of midfielder to pressure the other theam and play a simple pass and let other,more gifted players make the killer pass/goal

unfortunatley hibs can afford a team of Messis/Peles/Stantons :greengrin

edwards
12-08-2012, 08:47 PM
Incredible are folk never happy?

Not every midfielder is there to charge forward and be in and about the game all the time. Lewis will be a very good player this season with the addition of Deegan. It will allow for Lewis to sit in front of the back four pass the ball knowing he has a damn good player in the engine room with him now.

Huge improvement from last week and something to build on, instead of praising the players we still look for faults on who was ****** this week.:brickwall:brickwall

How long has he been with us now how many goals has he scored the play just goes over him most of the time, Don't get me wrong I thought his game improved fi Jan to the end of last season.
If we won't to improve then there is no room for sentiment Galbraith and Stephens will probably be shown the door before August and I expect Stevenson and Wotherspoon to show a vast improvement or they can catch that taxi in Jan

Beefster
12-08-2012, 08:49 PM
If we want to stay at the level we've been at for the last couple of years, Stevenson is the answer. If we want to improve, he's not.

AlbertK86
12-08-2012, 08:53 PM
Thought he would go onto great things after 07 cup final but he hasn't progressed as I'd hoped.

Squad player at best

JohnStephens91
12-08-2012, 08:54 PM
Had a great game today, breaking up play and making simple passes to his team mates. Get off his back and stop wishing he was out the door at the club, good wee player and I hope he stays in the team for a few more years. He is one of us as well and plays for the jersey and the badge, puts his heart into it every game and yet people come on here to attack him. :rolleyes:

sahib
12-08-2012, 09:07 PM
Lewis Stevenson would be in my 1st 11 every day off the week.

Ditto. :agree:

mcvie7
12-08-2012, 09:10 PM
I like Stevenson but thought Claros was better when he come on.

yekimevol
13-08-2012, 10:35 AM
was better than claros.

Onceinawhile
13-08-2012, 10:36 AM
His pass to spoony to set up the goal was immense. If you didn't pick up on it at the time I would recommend the highlights to see it.

Vault Boy
13-08-2012, 10:41 AM
This has really split opinions on here, eh?
Personally I thought Stevenson had a good first half, I couldn't count one case in which he gave away possession. I thought he made 3-4 good passes and 1 superb ball for the goal. I think Lewis is worth keeping, but I hope he won't be regularly starting this season. :aok:

PeterboroHibee
13-08-2012, 10:45 AM
Im not usually a fan of Stevenson, but he was in the team yesterday when we were playing our best football. Dont think him and Deegan really had any problems, they moved the ball well and he was involved in the goal. When Claros came on, he looked okay to start with (before he started to hoof it long every time he got the ball), but it seemed to ruin the rhythm of the team as a whole, and Hearts were able to impose themselves a bit more.

Id rather have a more all rounded player (someone who can score goals from that position), but Id have Stevenson in over Claros based on yesterday.

gegs70
13-08-2012, 10:50 AM
I think he is decent squad player...he was good for us last season, I wont judge hom on his last 2 games..

Judas Iscariot
13-08-2012, 10:51 AM
Great pass to Spoony for our goal, played decent too, not great, decent, better than normal which isn't hard..

Claros is a FAR better footballer though

500miles
13-08-2012, 11:05 AM
Im not usually a fan of Stevenson, but he was in the team yesterday when we were playing our best football. Dont think him and Deegan really had any problems, they moved the ball well and he was involved in the goal. When Claros came on, he looked okay to start with (before he started to hoof it long every time he got the ball), but it seemed to ruin the rhythm of the team as a whole, and Hearts were able to impose themselves a bit more.

Id rather have a more all rounded player (someone who can score goals from that position), but Id have Stevenson in over Claros based on yesterday.

Stevenson plays simple keep-ball better than most midfielders in the SPL. I felt that's why we were more dominant in the first half, as you can only be in charge when you hold possession.

Claros has greater ability to do something awful clever, but to be fair to Lewis, that was a cracking ball to Wotherspoon - and I have often said he has the best delivery of a cross field ball at the club since Murphy left.

SouthamptonHibs
13-08-2012, 11:23 AM
I think he's crap. offers nothing. He does work hard and runs about but doesn't score goals or creates goals
He also gives the ball away to much and has no aerial thret. He may off won POTY last season but that tells its own story thats why we finished 11th

blackpoolhibs
13-08-2012, 11:37 AM

This.

500miles
13-08-2012, 11:51 AM
I think he's crap. offers nothing. He does work hard and runs about but doesn't score goals or creates goals
He also gives the ball away to much and has no aerial thret. He may off won POTY last season but that tells its own story thats why we finished 11th

Apart from the one he created yesterday.

SouthamptonHibs
13-08-2012, 11:54 AM

Every player gets lucky once. Having seem him play for the past 5 or so years i think my comments are fair. I've met the guy he's a good lad i just think Hibs could get a better player

Judas Iscariot
13-08-2012, 11:58 AM

Pretty sure DW will/has been credited with the assist..

How far back in the play should we go to say folk created a goal? Sure big Ben had the ball at the start of that move...

Where's his credit?

LioNeilMessi
13-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Every player gets lucky once. Having seem him play for the past 5 or so years i think my comments are fair. I've met the guy he's a good lad i just think Hibs could get a better player

Looks like Stevenson can't do anything to win over some fans. I thought he played well yesterday just as he did on many occasions last season, showed more composure than Claros when picking out passes. Fair enough he didn't throw himself into too many tackles but that's why Deegan was brought in. More of the same Lewis! :flag:

500miles
13-08-2012, 12:16 PM
Pretty sure DW will/has been credited with the assist..

How far back in the play should we go to say folk created a goal? Sure big Ben had the ball at the start of that move...

Where's his credit?

I think Stevenson should get credit for turning simple possession in his own half, into a really dangerous oppertunity. The whole "assist" chart, for me, is a strange concept. Should a guy get the assist if his simple pass leads to the recieving player beating 3 men and scoringa cracker? DW's pass was simple, but needed a cool head and accuracy, so he deserves his due. However, IMO, Stevenson's ball was a cracker and made the goal.

500miles
13-08-2012, 12:18 PM

I've seen Lewis make that sort of pass numerous times. Nothing lucky about it, he has that quality in his locker.

easty
13-08-2012, 12:29 PM
I think Stevenson should get credit for turning simple possession in his own half, into a really dangerous oppertunity. The whole "assist" chart, for me, is a strange concept. Should a guy get the assist if his simple pass leads to the recieving player beating 3 men and scoringa cracker? DW's pass was simple, but needed a cool head and accuracy, so he deserves his due. However, IMO, Stevenson's ball was a cracker and made the goal.

I dont think a player does get credited with an assist if he passed a ball then the recieving player beat 3 men and scored, but that's not what happened here.

Must say, I love that you call DW's pass simple. He's under pressure, plays it with the outside of the foot, perfectly weighted and straight to Griffiths in the box. Stevensons cross field ball was simple, nae pressure on him, played into empty space.

Leishy1995
13-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Always liked him. He keeps it simple, has a few players he can trust to give the ball too now, he's going to come on strong if he can still play like this.

Hibee Ryan
13-08-2012, 01:24 PM
I don't mind him, 3 seasons ago he was good back up but last season he was vital. There are better players we could get but since we don't have them yet he should start! He's the best we've got at the moment so he starts, fairly simple

Hibercelona
13-08-2012, 01:32 PM
Wasn't able to go to-day but his "performance" last week was abysmal.

I like the lad, and 5 (?) managers have used him but perhaps it's time for him to move on?

I reckon thats one of the problems.

How can a player settle into their own game, when they've gone through so many managers in a relatively short period of time, all of which will have different tactics that they're trying to get across to the players.

I think Lewis has been quite unlucky.

500miles
13-08-2012, 01:35 PM
I dont think a player does get credited with an assist if he passed a ball then the recieving player beat 3 men and scored, but that's not what happened here.

Must say, I love that you call DW's pass simple. He's under pressure, plays it with the outside of the foot, perfectly weighted and straight to Griffiths in the box. Stevensons cross field ball was simple, nae pressure on him, played into empty space.

I gave DW credit for the cool head he had and the accuracy of the pass. You seem pretty desperate to diminish what was a cross field ball that could easily have ended up in hearts possession, or behind play. Cracking ball exactly where DW would want it to deprive the hearts back four time to organise - hence why Webster was trying to play Leigh offside - he didn't have time to check over his shoulder.

ahibby
13-08-2012, 01:39 PM
I've liked Stevenson from the start. He does disappear out of games but he is one I'd keep. He started our goal yesterday with the switch pass and should get a 10/10 for the pass if not his entire contribution. Can't say I noticed him but seeing that pass on the highlights I'd say he is worth holding on to especially when other players such as Cairney tried to do similar but came up well short.

DH1875
13-08-2012, 03:02 PM
was better than claros.

I like Stevenson but no, he wasn't.

Jonnyboy
13-08-2012, 08:09 PM

Not gonna bother reading all the responses G because I can pretty much guess what they'll say.

What I'll offer though is the fact that PF speaks well of the laddie, praises his attitude and commitment and recognises he does a job for the team.

Am surprised at your 'was he on the park' comment given that it was his crossfield ball that picked out Spoony who set Leigh up for our goal

I guess Lewis is like most players in that he'll have his fans and his detractors. Not ashamed to admit I'm in the former group :agree:

Alfred E Newman
13-08-2012, 08:26 PM
Hearts only came into the game after Stevenson went off.

easty
13-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Hearts only came into the game after Stevenson went off.

Nah.

And lets no forget, he was taken off early in the 2nd half, not injured. That's how well he was playing, not just according to the 'Lewis-haters' but Fenlon as well.

Heisenberg
13-08-2012, 08:29 PM
He was injured. Got ice put on his leg when he came off.

DaveF
13-08-2012, 08:30 PM
Nah.

And lets no forget, he was taken off early in the 2nd half, not injured. That's how well he was playing, not just according to the 'Lewis-haters' but Fenlon as well.

He was clearly struggling. No way was that a tactical sub at that time.

oregonhibby
13-08-2012, 08:41 PM
It beggars belief that we have a thread like this and we believe it does not impact on a player who reads it, and they will.

I wonder how many of us would like a thread about this about our performance at work.

Support the team ( and this is not I am a better supporter than anyone post) and support the individual then maybe they will do much better. That goes for the council administrator, street sweeper, bank employee etc etc etc..

We do it to players, ticket office employees, shop employees, and everyone who might work for Hibs.

Rant over..

hibee_girl
13-08-2012, 08:47 PM
Nah.

He was injured, he was hobbling about in the goals just before Hearts took a corner, he was taken off straight after that.

Alfred E Newman
13-08-2012, 08:56 PM
Nah.

You obviously were not paying attention yesterday . Stevenson was limping when he left the field.

easty
13-08-2012, 08:57 PM
You obviously were not paying attention yesterday . Stevenson was limping when he left the field.

If thats true, then I didnt notice it.

Postman
13-08-2012, 09:02 PM
Claros is a FAR better footballer though[/QUOTE]

This is the point for me! Stevenson is such an average footballer who contributes so little to a game but some on here are clinging to one good pass in 2 games so far this season as acceptable! It was not an assist, just an accurate pass cross field pass with little pressure on him which is not the most difficult skill on a football pitch!

blackpoolhibs
13-08-2012, 09:03 PM
I have been a critic, and to be honest i'd like better. Yet he's in the team on merit, and played well yesterday. I'd agree with some who said we lost it a bit when he went off.

Baldy Foghorn
13-08-2012, 09:05 PM
Not gonna bother reading all the responses G because I can pretty much guess what they'll say.

What I'll offer though is the fact that PF speaks well of the laddie, praises his attitude and commitment and recognises he does a job for the team.

Am surprised at your 'was he on the park' comment given that it was his crossfield ball that picked out Spoony who set Leigh up for our goal

I guess Lewis is like most players in that he'll have his fans and his detractors. Not ashamed to admit I'm in the former group :agree:

I'm with you JC....

Some have made their minds up and no matter what he does it wont be good enough, or he isnt hibs class, blah blah blah.....Shame, as I think he rarely lets us down.....

Fergus52
13-08-2012, 09:25 PM
Thought he was poor at dundee utd, but that yesterday he was pretty good and I don't understand how some are criticising his performance yesterday. He didn't do anything terribly exciting but he worked hard as always, i can't remember him losing the ball and he played a few excellent long passes.

If we can bring someone better in then i'd happily have him out the starting XI, but in no way should we try and get rid of him. We're usually better with him in the team than out it IMO.

jdships
13-08-2012, 09:29 PM

Says it all for me !!
We all know he is never ging to be a super start buth all this criticsm is a shame, as I think he rarely lets us down.....
There are many LS's in professional football who go about there job with commitment and personal pride both of which this lad has in abundance
:flag:

Stantons Angel
13-08-2012, 09:42 PM
I wasnt going to reply on this post but reading some of these "attacks" on one of our own players is really disturbing!

Why is it always Lewis you pick on? He gives you his all every game, he may not be everyone's Favorite player in style or technique but he is a grafter.

A poster with an eyesight problem, asked if he was on the park? YES he was until he was replaced due to injury. How was that injury sustained? By getting involved in tackling in the middle of the park!

For goodness sake we are only two games into the season and you are on a witch hunt already!

We gave as good as we got yesterday, a much improved performance on the last game against them. We still have a long way to go and we have to get behind our team and its players instead of increasingly chipping away at their confidence at this early stage.

Lewis will never have the flair of our legends or their individual abilities but he gives that jersey 100% each and everytime. For Gawds sake leave him alone and maybe when the weight of your own aspirations is taken off his shoulders he may surprise you all!

If you want to discuss a player, how about some positives as well as the negatives that this board has been displaying in abundance recently?

Get behind them and your club and PLEASE stop moaning!!!!

Baldy Foghorn
13-08-2012, 09:46 PM
Says it all for me !!
We all know he is never ging to be a super start buth all this criticsm is a shame, as I think he rarely lets us down.....
There are many LS's in professional football who go about there job with commitment and personal pride both of which this lad has in abundance

:top marks Spot on

Baldy Foghorn
13-08-2012, 09:49 PM
I wasnt going to reply on this post but reading some of these "attacks" on one of our own players is really disturbing!

Why is it always Lewis you pick on? He gives you his all every game, he may not be everyone's Favorite player in style or technique but he is a grafter.

A poster with an eyesight problem, asked if he was on the park? YES he was until he was replaced due to injury. How was that injury sustained? By getting involved in tackling in the middle of the park!

For goodness sake we are only two games into the season and you are on a witch hunt already!

We gave as good as we got yesterday, a much improved performance on the last game against them. We still have a long way to go and we have to get behind our team and its players instead of increasingly chipping away at their confidence at this early stage.

Lewis will never have the flair of our legends or their individual abilities but he gives that jersey 100% each and everytime. For Gawds sake leave him alone and maybe when the weight of your own aspirations is taken off his shoulders he may surprise you all!

If you want to discuss a player, how about some positives as well as the negatives that this board has been displaying in abundance recently?

Get behind them and your club and PLEASE stop moaning!!!!

Well said......There always has to be a scapegoat, why?? Lets give them all our backing......Its our team after all

Squealing pig
13-08-2012, 09:49 PM
Tbh I never noticed him on park although I knew he was playing. Posted missing again gtf Stevenson.

Jonnyboy
13-08-2012, 09:50 PM
Tbh I never noticed him on park although I knew he was playing. Posted missing again gtf Stevenson.

Have a word wi yersel. Some Hibs fan you are

3pm
13-08-2012, 09:55 PM

Doughnut.

NorthNorfolkHFC
13-08-2012, 10:01 PM
Well said......There always has to be a scapegoat, why?? Lets give them all our backing......Its our team after all

It isn't just two games in though.

He was crap last year as well. This new lad Deegan is a 'grafter' but after one game it's obvious how much better he is than Lewis.

Lewis is not a scapegoat, it's just pretty obvious we could replace him with a bit better.

Booked4Being-Ugly
13-08-2012, 10:03 PM
Some posters on here are total bell-ends.

We have a team showing signs of improvement yesterday and a midfield that competed and even overran the Hearts midfield at times.

Stevenson was as much a part of that as anyone else.

:yw:

neilmartinrocks
13-08-2012, 10:11 PM

Maybe you should have been watching the game instead of dreaming up crap to post on here?

Billy McKirdy
13-08-2012, 10:23 PM

He was crap last year as well. This new lad Deegan is a 'grafter' but after one game it's obvious how much better he is than Lewis.

Lewis is not a scapegoat, it's just pretty obvious we could replace him with a bit better.

I take issue with you there, he was one of our better performers last season in a team full of failures, he is in the team on merit imho!! it's all been downhill this last 5 years and he's still managed to keep himself in the frame, our longest serving player at the moment, give the guy some slack, 2 games in and already the knives are out, true, the team have a lot of making up to do, but as the old saying goes, your only as good as your last game, which in his case was pretty good, another cliche, "winning is a habit, so is losing" after such an encouraging result we should get right behind the boys and give them all our backing, wholeheartedly, keep the faith :flag:

Baldy Foghorn
13-08-2012, 10:25 PM

He was our best player last season by a country mile........Crap in your eyes though....Funny that

Baldy Foghorn
13-08-2012, 10:26 PM

Were you facing away from the pitch yesterday??

Baldy Foghorn
13-08-2012, 10:27 PM
Claros is a FAR better footballer though

This is the point for me! Stevenson is such an average footballer who contributes so little to a game but some on here are clinging to one good pass in 2 games so far this season as acceptable! It was not an assist, just an accurate pass cross field pass with little pressure on him which is not the most difficult skill on a football pitch![/QUOTE]

Dear oh dear, do you really believe that is all LS has contributed?? I just cant fathom it out.....

easty
13-08-2012, 10:29 PM
Some posters on here are total bell-ends.

We have a team showing signs of improvement yesterday and a midfield that competed and even overran the Hearts midfield at times.

Stevenson was as much a part of that as anyone else.

:yw:

and some have thier head up thier arse.

Stantons Angel
13-08-2012, 10:36 PM
Tbh I never noticed him on park although I knew he was playing. Posted missing again GTF Stevenson.

With an attitude like that may be you shouldnt be there at all!

People like this Hibs really dont need!

NB: Take your own advise pal!

easty
13-08-2012, 10:40 PM
Why is it that whenever someone criticises Lewis some people get so offended? it seems like it's fine to slate David Stephens or Wotherspoon or Claros or O'Hanlon, etc., but if you say Lewis isn't good enough then you're being a dick or something.

Everyone is entitled to thier opinion, I don't think he's good enough, some agree, some don't. It's not as though we're having personal digs at him though. Wind your necks in and stop greeting.

Stantons Angel
13-08-2012, 10:40 PM
and some have thier head up thier arse.

AND some can spell too!

as well as being a contortionist!!!

easty
13-08-2012, 10:41 PM
AND some can spell too!

as well as being a contortionist!!!

brilliant. a pedant and a comedian. you never seem to find them together.

Judas Iscariot
13-08-2012, 10:55 PM
You'd of thought LS got booed off the park yesterday the way some of his fanboys are creaming themselves in here...

matty_f
13-08-2012, 11:00 PM
I really like Lewis, he never hides and was by far and away our best performer over the whole of last season. He needs to keep improving though. He improved massively last year on the year before, and he needs to do the same again this year.

I always think the biggest thing lacking from Lewis is self-belief. With a bit of confidence and arrogance about him he could really start to impose himself on games.

Stantons Angel
13-08-2012, 11:05 PM
Why is it that whenever someone criticises Lewis some people get so offended? it seems like it's fine to slate David Stephens or Wotherspoon or Claros or O'Hanlon, etc., but if you say Lewis isn't good enough then you're being a dick or something.

Everyone is entitled to thier opinion, I don't think he's good enough, some agree, some don't. It's not as though we're having personal digs at him though. Wind your necks in and stop greeting.

I dont get offended, i get angry as it is so unfair the things that some so called supporters have to say about individual players.

AND just to keep you on the right track, i aint "greeting" either! Im a Hibs supporter who gets so fed up with negativity and continual "greeting" of some people on here!

Stantons Angel
13-08-2012, 11:10 PM
You'd of thought LS got booed off the park yesterday the way some of his fanboys are creaming themselves in here...

if that's all you can think off to say.......................... my point is made!

Shrekko
13-08-2012, 11:14 PM

Why is it always Lewis you pick on?
Seriously- grow up.

There are loads of players who get more stick than Lewis on this forum. It's not nice for any of them but to suggest he's always being 'picked on' is ridiculous. Even on this thread there is a mixture of comments, probably more positive than negative. Average players tend to provoke this type of discussion with mixed views.

I've never noticed you on threads slating Wotherspoon, Stephens, Hanlon, O'Hanlon and many many others, so give it a break.

Stantons Angel
13-08-2012, 11:38 PM
Seriously- grow up.

There are loads of players who get more stick than Lewis on this forum. It's not nice for any of them but to suggest he's always being 'picked on' is ridiculous. Even on this thread there is a mixture of comments, probably more positive than negative. Average players tend to provoke this type of discussion with mixed views.

I've never noticed you on threads slating Wotherspoon, Stephens, Hanlon, O'Hanlon and many many others, so give it a break.

I grew up a long time ago and i grew up being a Hibs' supporter. I, like you and everyone else on this board have my own opinions on players in our team
You have not looked hard enough for me in other posts and if i have not posted then i may have agreed with the opinions stated.

I just feel that there are too many anti Lewis posts that go on for page after page about him in particular. I do believe that this lad lacks belief in his own ability and this continual barracking of him is chipping away at his confidence.

Again its MY opinion im stating based on the opinions of others. May be if they gave Lewis a break and gave some positive input, i wouldnt have to state MY opinion!

dp00
14-08-2012, 12:25 AM
This debate has been done to death so without reading it all I'll give my opinion...

I would imagine Stevenson is and will continue to be one of the first 5 names on the team sheet

Why ?

You can rely on him
You always get 100% effort and commitment
He does the simple stuff and let's others play, this issue before was he had know one to play

I reckon he will be a big player for us. Have we not learnt out lesson from hounding rankin out the club ? May I add rankin played in the team that tore us apart last week

Beefster
14-08-2012, 06:21 AM
I dont get offended, i get angry as it is so unfair the things that some so called supporters have to say about individual players.

AND just to keep you on the right track, i aint "greeting" either! Im a Hibs supporter who gets so fed up with negativity and continual "greeting" of some people on here!

I'm not quite sure how thinking that a player isnt good enough to keep his place if the team is to improve is 'unfair', 'negative' or 'greeting'. I thought it was 'opinion'.

If we can't talk about the selection of the first team on here without a gaggle of offendees pitching up to moan every time, rather than actually telling us why the player in question can play in an improved team, we might as well pack up.

Brightside
14-08-2012, 07:19 AM
Id have him in the team every week. Watch him improve now he doesnt have to do everyones job.

Shrekko
14-08-2012, 07:34 AM
I grew up a long time ago and i grew up being a Hibs' supporter. I, like you and everyone else on this board have my own opinions on players in our team
You have not looked hard enough for me in other posts and if i have not posted then i may have agreed with the opinions stated.

I just feel that there are too many anti Lewis posts that go on for page after page about him in particular. I do believe that this lad lacks belief in his own ability and this continual barracking of him is chipping away at his confidence.

Again its MY opinion im stating based on the opinions of others. May be if they gave Lewis a break and gave some positive input, i wouldnt have to state MY opinion!

Ok- I'm catching your drift. It's obviously ok for people to have opinions and to slate other players, but just not Lewis. People are only allowed on opinion if it's the same as yours.

That's fine then.

To talk about him getting 'barracked' is nothing short of absurd. Ask Brian Hamilton, Brian Kerr, Joe Tortolano about 'barracking'. Stevenson has never received abuse of that type- slight criticism occasionally but nothing more.

Postman
14-08-2012, 07:49 AM
This debate has been done to death so without reading it all I'll give my opinion...

I would imagine Stevenson is and will continue to be one of the first 5 names on the team sheet

Why ?

You can rely on him
You always get 100% effort and commitment
He does the simple stuff and let's others play, this issue before was he had know one to play

I reckon he will be a big player for us. Have we not learnt out lesson from hounding rankin out the club ? May I add rankin played in the team that tore us apart last week

The only lesson I've learned from Rankin leaving is exactly how bad Stevenson is! Rankin was not good enough and is now dominating the play against us now that we have players like Stevenson in there. LS has had enough time at Hibs to become the player we all hoped he would be and failed. Time to either get rid or get him back to being the squad player at best that he was before and get more able players in there! Osbourne was a better player and I also believe the same goes for Claros. Reliabiilty, 100% commitment and simple stuff that you have stated Lewis is good at are simply not enough for me.

jdships
14-08-2012, 08:20 AM
The only lesson I've learned from Rankin leaving is exactly how bad Stevenson is! Rankin was not good enough and is now dominating the play against us now that we have players like Stevenson in there. LS has had enough time at Hibs to become the player we all hoped he would be and failed. Time to either get rid or get him back to being the squad player at best that he was before and get more able players in there! Osbourne was a better player and I also believe the same goes for Claros. Reliabiilty, 100% commitment and simple stuff that you have stated Lewis is good at are simply not enough for me.

Boy am I pleased you are not the manager at ER
So glad it's only an opinion
:greengrin:wink::rolleyes:

Postman
14-08-2012, 08:26 AM
Boy am I pleased you are not the manager at ER
So glad it's only an opinion
:greengrin:wink::rolleyes:

Why exactly? Which part of what I said do you disagree with??

jdships
14-08-2012, 08:54 AM
Why exactly? Which part of what I said do you disagree with??

C'mon young man , lighten up
Did you not see :wink::greengrin:rolleyes: ?

This thread has now got to the stage now where it is just about ' past its sell by date ' :greengrin

Time to pick on another ' culprit' surely ?

marinello59
14-08-2012, 09:06 AM

And the reason thst Rankin was producing good performances against other teams as well last season was? :confused:

J-C
14-08-2012, 09:38 AM
I cannot believe we have 4 pages concerning Stevenson, the guy may not be a world beater but he's a good solid decent pro, who gives at least 100% every game. He was just OK on sunday, nothing more, good initial pass to Spoony for the goal, then went off injured, was his injury hampering him??

He's the type of player who won't turn loads of heads during a game but generally is tidy and accomplished, a good squad player, and can play in numerous positions. I think Lewis is a confidence player, certain managers have brought out his better play, JC was one and under Yogi his confidence was shot, hopefully Pat can bring out the best in him again.

Shrekko
14-08-2012, 09:54 AM
C'mon young man , lighten up
Did you not see :wink::greengrin:rolleyes: ?

This thread has now got to the stage now where it is just about ' past its sell by date ' :greengrin

Time to pick on another ' culprit' surely ?

You're another one. It's only a problem if it's a player you personally like.

Your 'managers' quips really are wearing thin- its a fans forum where folk give opinions. What's so hard about that? Football fans have been giving their opinions since time began.

Pretty Boy
14-08-2012, 09:57 AM
Squad player.

Done ok last season, gives 100% but if we want to get back into the top 6 and where we think we should be then we need better than Stevenson in the starting 11.

RIP
14-08-2012, 10:02 AM
Pat picks him - that's good enough for me

Why waste endless hours procrastinating on a messageboard when we can just go along to a game and give the guy 100% support?

Life used to be simpler back in the day when we generally gave our backing to every Hibs player

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that a well supported team players better than a criticised team

easty
14-08-2012, 10:12 AM

Why waste endless hours procrastinating on a messageboard when we can just go along to a game and give the guy 100% support?

Life used to be simpler back in the day when we generally gave our backing to every Hibs player

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that a well supported team players better than a criticised team

So life was simpler back in the make believe days? I'm 28, I don't remember a time when football fans didn't question any players abilities. Must have been before my time then, maybe?

And I wish people would stop maknig out that by writing on a fans forum that you dont think Lewis Stevenson is good enough means that on a match day you arent supporting him. Thats just baws.

Beefster
14-08-2012, 10:30 AM

I manage to have an opinion on here and support the team at the games. I've always been good at multi-tasking though.

jdships
14-08-2012, 10:42 AM
You're another one. It's only a problem if it's a player you personally like.

Your 'managers' quips really are wearing thin- its a fans forum where folk give opinions. What's so hard about that? Football fans have been giving their opinions since time began.

Oh dear !
' its a fans forum where folk give opinions. What's so hard about that? Football fans have been giving their opinions since time began '
Don't quite understand as I have no problems with you and others expressing opinions as long as I am allowed to do the same : why not accept your own logic ?
You are happy to pass opinions but are always criticising me and a number of other posters for doing just that - :confused:
You should realise by now that forums like this are great places for giving and taking BANTER .:greengrin#
I get a lot of pleasure from that . May I suggest you try and adjust ; it's easy !! :wink:
However if perhaps 'it is too hot in the kitchen ' then just get out

Postman
14-08-2012, 10:43 AM
And the reason thst Rankin was producing good performances against other teams as well last season was? :confused:

Look,i'm not going to claim to know exactly how Rankin played each week for United as I do not go and watch United more than a few tmes a season however having watched him for a few seasons at ER he was not up to it but good luck to him up there. LS has had years and many many different midfield partners at ER and never been good enough, Hibs record when he has played is absolutely shocking so how long should we persist? If he goes somewhere else and is popular with the whole support then that would be best all round

Shrekko
14-08-2012, 10:57 AM
Oh dear !
' its a fans forum where folk give opinions. What's so hard about that? Football fans have been giving their opinions since time began '
Don't quite understand as I have no problems with you and others expressing opinions as long as I am allowed to do the same : why not accept your own logic ?
You are happy to pass opinions but are always criticising me and a number of other posters for doing just that - :confused:
You should realise by now that forums like this are great places for giving and taking BANTER .:greengrin#
I get a lot of pleasure from that . May I suggest you try and adjust ; it's easy !! :wink:
However if perhaps 'it is too hot in the kitchen ' then just get out

No- when posters give opinions you don't like you call them wannabe managers which is condescending beyond belief. When fans give opinions you do like you give them 10/10 smileys with comments like 'at last someone with sense!'.

How come all the wannabe managers have opinions you disagree with? Are the posters who rate Stevenson wannabe managers?

You are 100% entitled to your opinion on all Hibs related matters and anything else- just don't cry when you read something back you don't like!

Tricla
14-08-2012, 11:04 AM
Look,i'm not going to claim to know exactly how Rankin played each week for United as I do not go and watch United more than a few tmes a season however having watched him for a few seasons at ER he was not up to it but good luck to him up there. LS has had years and many many different midfield partners at ER and never been good enough, Hibs record when he has played is absolutely shocking so how long should we persist? If he goes somewhere else and is popular with the whole support then that would be best all round

You go and watch Utd?

:confused:

Postman
14-08-2012, 11:09 AM
You go and watch Utd?

:confused:

When they play Hibs...

easty
14-08-2012, 11:31 AM
I've always been good at multi-tasking though.

Can you do that patting your head at the same time as rubbing your belly thing then? :greengrin

Phil MaGlass
14-08-2012, 11:34 AM
Id have him in the team every week. Watch him improve now he doesnt have to do everyones job.

This:agree:

Judas Iscariot
14-08-2012, 11:56 AM

Tam McCourt is a lazy bassa eh...

Baldy Foghorn
14-08-2012, 12:04 PM

Really???

I like him and it appears PF likes him too.....That will do for me.....

Beefster
14-08-2012, 12:29 PM
Can you do that patting your head at the same time as rubbing your belly thing then? :greengrin

Trust you to find the one thing that I'm not awesome at.

NorthNorfolkHFC
14-08-2012, 12:31 PM
He was our best player last season by a country mile........Crap in your eyes though....Funny that

It's all objective.

I was at almost every game last year and I certainly wouldn't say he was 'best player'.

Best players usually have to do something to earn that accolade, Lewis just had to turn up and show he was interested.

The sooner we set our standards higher the sooner we will achieve. Lewis tries hard but EVERY player should try hard. In the same way James McPake shows absolute commitment, most players should demonstrate this attitude and be judged on their footballing ability.

Very few are picking on Lewis Stevenson, I am just questioning his inclusion for the right reasons.

Leishy1995
14-08-2012, 12:33 PM

Considering he has played left back way before that he hasn't ever been given a chance with a midfield partner. Infact he only very recently got moved there and we've seen improving performances. Let him do his job and then we'll see a better midfield

Baldy Foghorn
14-08-2012, 12:41 PM
It's all objective.

I was at almost every game last year and I certainly wouldn't say he was 'best player'.

Best players usually have to do something to earn that accolade, Lewis just had to turn up and show he was interested.

The sooner we set our standards higher the sooner we will achieve. Lewis tries hard but EVERY player should try hard. In the same way James McPake shows absolute commitment, most players should demonstrate this attitude and be judged on their footballing ability.

Very few are picking on Lewis Stevenson, I am just questioning his inclusion for the right reasons.

Ah they were all crap and nobody was best player.....Get you now....

Not sure what the right reasons for inclusion are that you refer to, PF selects him, thats enough for me.

NorthNorfolkHFC
14-08-2012, 01:11 PM
Ah they were all crap and nobody was best player.....Get you now....

Not sure what the right reasons for inclusion are that you refer to, PF selects him, thats enough for me.

It was obvious, football ability/athleticism/fitness should come first. Attitude should be a prerequisite.

jdships
14-08-2012, 03:59 PM
No- when posters give opinions you don't like you call them wannabe managers which is condescending beyond belief. When fans give opinions you do like you give them 10/10 smileys with comments like 'at last someone with sense!'.

How come all the wannabe managers have opinions you disagree with? Are the posters who rate Stevenson wannabe managers?

You are 100% entitled to your opinion on all Hibs related matters and anything else- just don't cry when you read something back you don't like!

Oh dear whose taking the moral high ground ?.:greengrin
If you are honest with yourself you will know you are no better than you are making me and a lot of other posters out to be .
All down to expressing opinions until you upped the stakes . Pity because was enjoying the banter which apparently can't take :rolleyes:
Anyway easy way out for both of us is just to use the ' delete' button .
Let's leave it like that and move on - OK ?

sahib
14-08-2012, 06:52 PM
It was obvious, football ability/athleticism/fitness should come first. Attitude should be a prerequisite.

I would say that Lewis Stevenson has football ability, that is why I always felt he was worth hanging on to even when his form took a dip.

Jonnyboy
14-08-2012, 07:16 PM

Now that is funny. Osbourne was an embarrassing waste of a wage and hardly tried a leg all the time he was here. Just my opinion likes

Baldy Foghorn
14-08-2012, 07:36 PM
Now that is funny. Osbourne was an embarrassing waste of a wage and hardly tried a leg all the time he was here. Just my opinion likes

I agree Jonnyboy, some rated him, I never ever did....For a big man, he rarely used his size to good use, and got out-muscled by smaller guys, was lazy, never tracked back, and looked as if tomorrow would do.....Glad he's away, give me LS everyday of the week.....

Postman
14-08-2012, 09:12 PM

All about opinions but funny, no! Unlike Isiah Osbourne, I reckon we'll wait a very long time before we receive any sort of a fee from another club for Lewis. In fact it'll probably be a long time before anyone is even rumoured to be interested in Lewis, funny that eh...

Jonnyboy
14-08-2012, 09:16 PM
All about opinions but funny, no! Unlike Isiah Osbourne, I reckon we'll wait a very long time before we receive any sort of a fee from another club for Lewis. In fact it'll probably be a long time before anyone is even rumoured to be interested in Lewis, funny that eh...

I still can't believe we got money for Osbourne. Must have been his reputation from pre Hibs cos he did nothing to enhance it here.

As for Lewis, PF sees his worth and that'll do for me

Heisenberg
14-08-2012, 09:17 PM
I agree Jonnyboy, some rated him, I never ever did....For a big man, he rarely used his size to good use, and got out-muscled by smaller guys, was lazy, never tracked back, and looked as if tomorrow would do.....Glad he's away, give me LS everyday of the week.....

Agree with that. Ozzy played when he liked and that was very rarely. Deegan made a huge difference in beside Lewis at the weekend.

Postman
14-08-2012, 09:21 PM
I still can't believe we got money for Osbourne. Must have been his reputation from pre Hibs cos he did nothing to enhance it here.

Possibly but PF's record so far is hardly great! Still hope he can turn it round and the signs are there that he could but he has made many many mistakes since he arrived and I feel LS being first on the teamsheet and Ivan being not far behind him have been two of them.

Leishy1995
14-08-2012, 09:49 PM
Possibly but PF's record so far is hardly great! Still hope he can turn it round and the signs are there that he could but he has made many many mistakes since he arrived and I feel LS being first on the teamsheet and Ivan being not far behind him have been two of them.

I think the fact he only just got to build a team of players who want to be here not loans. And the performance against hearts showed mainly positives. So I think having Stevenson is not. A bad choice.

Shrekko
15-08-2012, 08:01 AM

Is Ian Holloway's opinion on a player good enough for you?

Judas Iscariot
15-08-2012, 10:14 AM

There's not a hope in hell LS is good enough or ever will be good enough to play for a decent Championship side or be part of a EPL team's squad...

PeterboroHibee
15-08-2012, 12:00 PM

Rankin has been consistantly one of Uniteds best performers since he signed for them, not just against Hibs and certainly not because of Stevenson alone. I think the lesson from Rankin is if a player is played in the correct position, and given a role that suits him, he will thrive in it (although having better players around him will obviously help).

I also think its pretty clear that Mayburys backpass aside, we were pretty comfortable in that game, against a team that had ripped us apart a few months ago, and everyone was tipping to beat us again. If anything, we probably created the best chances of the game (Griffiths could have had a hat-trick), and we played our best football in the first half, passing it around well and looking really good on the ball. Stevenson was a part of that.

Ill admit Im not the biggest fan of Stevenson, and him and Deegan are unlikely to provide many goals from CM, but for the first time in a while, we actually looked like a solid unit, who had the right mix of players on the pitch. I would have been more than happy for the same line up to start at the weekend, although it does look like Stevenson may be injured for a while.

Postman
15-08-2012, 12:17 PM
Rankin has been consistantly one of Uniteds best performers since he signed for them, not just against Hibs and certainly not because of Stevenson alone. I think the lesson from Rankin is if a player is played in the correct position, and given a role that suits him, he will thrive in it (although having better players around him will obviously help).

I also think its pretty clear that Mayburys backpass aside, we were pretty comfortable in that game, against a team that had ripped us apart a few months ago, and everyone was tipping to beat us again. If anything, we probably created the best chances of the game (Griffiths could have had a hat-trick), and we played our best football in the first half, passing it around well and looking really good on the ball. Stevenson was a part of that.

Ill admit Im not the biggest fan of Stevenson, and him and Deegan are unlikely to provide many goals from CM, but for the first time in a while, we actually looked like a solid unit, who had the right mix of players on the pitch. I would have been more than happy for the same line up to start at the weekend, although it does look like Stevenson may be injured for a while.

That was a very different Hearts team that beat us in the final! Players like McHattie, Robinson and Paterson were not on the park at Hampden, the likes of Skacel, Black and Suso were. We can't get too carried away with a point at home to Hearts now but there was progress. Lets now wait and see if our performances suffer without LS in the middle for the next few weeks, I doubt very much they will

500miles
15-08-2012, 12:47 PM
The opposition can't score if you have the ball, and that is the key to Lewis' game IMO. In the vast majority of his performances, Lewis is all about keeping possession, picking up possession, making himself available. He IS capable of going past his man - I've seen him do it a number of times. He is capable of an excellent cross-field ball - which I've also seen him do. However, he currently lacks the confidence and the mentality to do those things. Perhaps becoming part of a winning team will breed that confidence in him, and he will become, not just a solid, dependable sort, but a real high performer.

To me, it was clear that we kept the ball better in midfield when we had Lewis on, rather than Claros. Claros takes more chances, but Lewis knows he can get the likes of Cairney, Wotherspoon and Griffiths on the ball to be creative. I want to see Lewis playing in a winning Hibs team, because it'll make him a better player well up to the standard of the top 3 of the SPL.

Postman
15-08-2012, 01:42 PM
The opposition can't score if you have the ball, and that is the key to Lewis' game IMO. In the vast majority of his performances, Lewis is all about keeping possession, picking up possession, making himself available. He IS capable of going past his man - I've seen him do it a number of times. He is capable of an excellent cross-field ball - which I've also seen him do. However, he currently lacks the confidence and the mentality to do those things. Perhaps becoming part of a winning team will breed that confidence in him, and he will become, not just a solid, dependable sort, but a real high performer.

To me, it was clear that we kept the ball better in midfield when we had Lewis on, rather than Claros. Claros takes more chances, but Lewis knows he can get the likes of Cairney, Wotherspoon and Griffiths on the ball to be creative. I want to see Lewis playing in a winning Hibs team, because it'll make him a better player well up to the standard of the top 3 of the SPL.

Seems a ridiculous point to try and defend him with considering we conceded 76 goals last season and have conceded 4 in 2 games so far this year, no??

Jonnyboy
15-08-2012, 09:37 PM

What's your point exactly? I'm not disputing that Osbourne can play, just that he didn't show that nearly enough when he played for Hibs.

Jonnyboy
15-08-2012, 09:39 PM

There's not a hope in hell LS is good enough or ever will be good enough to play for a decent Championship side or be part of a EPL team's squad...

Maybe so but until and unless he signs for one we'll never know :wink:

Dinkydoo
15-08-2012, 10:03 PM
The reason why I think that people get so annoyed with the criticism of LS is because in the main, it's unwarranted. He does the simple things well - game after game - and got at least pass marks on here from most posters in the majority of games, in the second half of last season. He might not be a world beater but he tries, and more often than not, has a decent game. He began to flourish in a side when he was last in a team with a bit of skill and determination in 06/07; he has also been a consistent performer in teams where he was viewed as one of the few good players on the park - including last season within the 'worst Hibs side ever' according to some.

Like it or not LS is in the current starting 11 on merit.

If PF can get us playing week in week out like we did on Sunday then who knows how he'll develop. Let's at least give him a chance. That for some means that you'll need to find another player to pick on unfortunately, for the time being. Maybe if this Kuqi guy is as lazy and past it as some say then we could divert our negativity towards him for a while.....

Shrekko
15-08-2012, 10:55 PM
What's your point exactly? I'm not disputing that Osbourne can play, just that he didn't show that nearly enough when he played for Hibs.

My point exactly is that up you seem to be suggesting that Blackpool signed him based on what he was like as a player before he came to Hibs. I'm tactfully telling you that is absolute rubbish.

Do you honestly think Holloway didn't watch him at all last season? In that case why didn't he sign him before he came here?!

You say PF rates Lewis and that's good enough for you. I'm saying Holloway rates Osbourne. You keep comparing the 2 when you're getting upset about comments regarding Lewis!

I think we're talking about 2 average players here to be honest. Lewis probably less talented but more committed and less casual. The point is its ridiculous that people are being jumped on for having an opinion about LS that is not as positive as some folk would like. I'll repeat- you don't have this when other players are being slated, and not only that, any criticism LS gets is normally extremely mild and along the lines of 'I like the boy but....'. It's just so weird that some people find it so upsetting!! You look at David Wotherspoon who's career has almost mirrored Stevenson's and he's constantly getting torn to bits, but is very rarely is he defended in this way.

majorhibs
16-08-2012, 12:35 AM
What a load ay nonsense, he last "flourished" 5 years ago & may develop if given a chance, a "consistent performer" in a team in a league where everybody's financially crippled but our club are getting about twice at least more people turning up to games than the teams around us who are giving us lessons while Hibs have to go to the second last game of the season needing a win to avoid relegation, yeah cheers a bunch all the better players etc for that, last year was a disaster for Hibernian FC and all associated with it, and anyone who fancies much of the same needs their heads looking at. Anyone there last year needs to UP IT big style including yer golden boy mate LS, manager, Petrie, the lot. Last year was a disaster, confined to history, anyone wanting more of the same should be shot, any players bringing the same guff to the field, 11th in a mediocre league and flirtin wi relegation, should be punted.

The reason why I think that people get so annoyed with the criticism of LS is because in the main, it's unwarranted. He does the simple things well - game after game - and got at least pass marks on here from most posters in the majority of games, in the second half of last season. He might not be a world beater but he tries, and more often than not, has a decent game. He began to flourish in a side when he was last in a team with a bit of skill and determination in 06/07; he has also been a consistent performer in teams where he was viewed as one of the few good players on the park - including last season within the 'worst Hibs side ever' according to some.

Like it or not LS is in the current starting 11 on merit.

If PF can get us playing week in week out like we did on Sunday then who knows how he'll develop. Let's at least give him a chance. That for some means that you'll need to find another player to pick on unfortunately, for the time being. Maybe if this Kuqi guy is as lazy and past it as some say then we could divert our negativity towards him for a while.....

Dinkydoo
16-08-2012, 06:02 AM
What a load ay nonsense, he last "flourished" 5 years ago & may develop if given a chance, a "consistent performer" in a team in a league where everybody's financially crippled but our club are getting about twice at least more people turning up to games than the teams around us who are giving us lessons while Hibs have to go to the second last game of the season needing a win to avoid relegation, yeah cheers a bunch all the better players etc for that, last year was a disaster for Hibernian FC and all associated with it, and anyone who fancies much of the same needs their heads looking at. Anyone there last year needs to UP IT big style including yer golden boy mate LS, manager, Petrie, the lot. Last year was a disaster, confined to history, anyone wanting more of the same should be shot, any players bringing the same guff to the field, 11th in a mediocre league and flirtin wi relegation, should be punted.

So the key points to note from you are:

1. It doesn't matter how well or consistently play in the SPL, you're crap because the league is "financially crippled".

2. I need my head examined (leaving myself wide open here :wink: ) because I fancy more of the same rubbish as what we were served up as football last season.

3. LS is my "golden boy".

4. I should be shot....?

To clarify,I said he began to flourish in a decent side, which he did, but it never really came to anything for whatever reason (managers in/out, shocking standard of teammate?). Despite that he's performed quite consistently since, without doing anything spectacular I'll admit but MUCH better than some of the 'players' we have had at Hibs in the past 5 years.

To be honest i do realise that LS is pretty average in terms of ability - I don't think I've ever stated that he's an excellent player, just that most of the criticism is unwarranted. But hey, you just go ahead and derive whatever you want from all that, and I'll be waiting for another 'BS post of the week' type response consisting of misconstrued aspects of my reply and personal insults :aok:

500miles
16-08-2012, 11:15 AM
Seems a ridiculous point to try and defend him with considering we conceded 76 goals last season and have conceded 4 in 2 games so far this year, no??

We could have had Scholes in midfield last year and we still would have lost 76 goals. Against Utd, Lewis had a poor game, and the goal we lost against Hearts had nothing to do with the team's play as a whole, and certainly nothing to do with Lewis. That was Maybury and Williams misunderstanding.

I would liken it to our good defensive record at the start of Yogi's tenure. McBride was no great player - in fact, I rate Stevenson as having far more ability. However, we kept the goals against column down, due to two things - Bamba and Hogg playing well, and McBride NEVER giving the ball away. As soon as it became apparent that we lacked a natural ball winner, McBride became less effective. We couldn't get the ball to keep. Miller lost form, and we lacked pace to hit on the break, so we were always under pressure in midfield, because the opposition could push up without too much fear of us hitting on the break. The first time we really introduced genuine pace, Danny Galbraith looked like a player because Celtic didn't expect it.

A midfield is like a machine, and every player is a part. Lewis has a part to play, as things stand, and can be effective as part of a well balanced machine - Deegan is ball winner, Stevenson is always passing and moving to keep the opposition off the ball, and that lets Cairney and Wotherspoon push on. What we want is playes who have more than one function, but for the time being, Stevenson is good as a part of that midfield machine - it just leaves us exposed if we lose Deegan. For me, Stevenson has the potential to be more creative, but lacks confidence to express himself - it's a shame, because one of the few things I agreed with JC about was Stevenson's potential to be better than Kevin Thomson. However, KT had no problem with confidence.

BarneyK
16-08-2012, 11:19 AM
We could have had Scholes in midfield last year and we still would have lost 76 goals. Against Utd, Lewis had a poor game, and the goal we lost against Hearts had nothing to do with the team's play as a whole, and certainly nothing to do with Lewis. That was Maybury and Williams misunderstanding.

I would liken it to our good defensive record at the start of Yogi's tenure. McBride was no great player - in fact, I rate Stevenson as having far more ability. However, we kept the goals against column down, due to two things - Bamba and Hogg playing well, and McBride NEVER giving the ball away. As soon as it became apparent that we lacked a natural ball winner, McBride became less effective. We couldn't get the ball to keep. Miller lost form, and we lacked pace to hit on the break, so we were always under pressure in midfield, because the opposition could push up without too much fear of us hitting on the break. The first time we really introduced genuine pace, Danny Galbraith looked like a player because Celtic didn't expect it.

A midfield is like a machine, and every player is a part. Lewis has a part to play, as things stand, and can be effective as part of a well balanced machine - Deegan is ball winner, Stevenson is always passing and moving to keep the opposition off the ball, and that lets Cairney and Wotherspoon push on. What we want is playes who have more than one function, but for the time being, Stevenson is good as a part of that midfield machine - it just leaves us exposed if we lose Deegan. For me, Stevenson has the potential to be more creative, but lacks confidence to express himself - it's a shame, because one of the few things I agreed with JC about was Stevenson's potential to be better than Kevin Thomson. However, KT had no problem with confidence.

:agree: Agree completely

PatHead
16-08-2012, 12:06 PM
Evening News confirm Stevenson is out for 6 weeks. At least one of those will be the international break though

Postman
16-08-2012, 12:20 PM

How many times can we put LS's failings as a footballer down to the players around him rather than his own lack of ability??

And on the second part you've highlighted, now you are just being ridiculous! Never in a million years. This was just an exercise by JC to try and build his confidence that seems to be a problem for him, there is very little chance Collins ever actually believed this!

BarneyK
16-08-2012, 12:33 PM
How many times can we put LS's failings as a footballer down to the players around him rather than his own lack of ability??

And on the second part you've highlighted, now you are just being ridiculous! Never in a million years. This was just an exercise by JC to try and build his confidence that seems to be a problem for him, there is very little chance Collins ever actually believed this!

So you're calling 500Miles' post ridiculous based upon a guess (assuming you don't know JC personally or are indeed psychic)?

blackpoolhibs
16-08-2012, 01:17 PM

My mates who are season ticket holders are not too impressed with him so far. Slow and no awareness of whats going on around him are the early reports. I told them its early doors yet, he gets worse. :wink:

JimBHibees
16-08-2012, 01:19 PM
My mates who are season ticket holders are not too impressed with him so far. Slow and no awareness of whats going on around him are the early reports. I told them its early doors yet, he gets worse. :wink:

:faf::faf:

Postman
16-08-2012, 01:45 PM
So you're calling 500Miles' post ridiculous based upon a guess (assuming you don't know JC personally or are indeed psychic)?[/QUOTE]

I'm saying it is ridiculous that he agreed with this statement, KT is a far player than LS ever has been or ever will be. Managers always talk their pllayers up.

500miles
16-08-2012, 01:45 PM

For me, Kevin Thomson wasn't as good as Brown, O'Connor, Murphy, Riordan Whittaker, or Boozy. I'm just not his biggest fan, and never was. I think Lewis came through with more potential. However, he's never realised his potential like KT did, because of the confidence issue.

BarneyK
16-08-2012, 01:54 PM
So you're calling 500Miles' post ridiculous based upon a guess (assuming you don't know JC personally or are indeed psychic)?

I'm saying it is ridiculous that he agreed with this statement, KT is a far player than LS ever has been or ever will be. Managers always talk their pllayers up.[/QUOTE]

As it happens I agree with you that KT is technically a better player. That said, because of his long history of injury, I think you get a lot more from Lewis. He's never going to be the star of the show, but in the right team I think he could be a vital part of the machine. It all depends on the confidence you and 500 Miles speak of though. I'm happy with his contribution in the last year. Long may it continue.

Postman
16-08-2012, 02:44 PM
For me, Kevin Thomson wasn't as good as Brown, O'Connor, Murphy, Riordan Whittaker, or Boozy. I'm just not his biggest fan, and never was. I think Lewis came through with more potential. However, he's never realised his potential like KT did, because of the confidence issue.

Can I ask what the point in comparing KT to O'Connor, Murphy, Riordan and even Whittaker is??

And you must have been watching a very different couple of players than I was watching way back then and also the scouts of the clubs with the money were watching. If he had more 'potential' then you can be damn sure the scouts would have spotted this and snapped him up as 'potential'! Clubs in England can well afford to spend money on those types of player nowadays yet somehow nobody has ever shown even the slightest bit of interest that I can remember?

Postman
16-08-2012, 02:48 PM
As it happens I agree with you that KT is technically a better player. That said, because of his long history of injury, I think you get a lot more from Lewis. He's never going to be the star of the show, but in the right team I think he could be a vital part of the machine. It all depends on the confidence you and 500 Miles speak of though. I'm happy with his contribution in the last year. Long may it continue.

I think its fair to say that a non injured player will always give you more than an injured player! When both playing though there is no chance you get more from LS

And once again its all the fault of the players around him?!

steviehibsleith
16-08-2012, 02:53 PM
Kevin Thomson is a far better player than LS, he has just been unlucky with injuries and many forgot how good he was when he defected to tothe huns

BarneyK
16-08-2012, 02:55 PM

I think its fair to say that a non injured player will always give you more than an injured player! When both playing though there is no chance you get more from LS

And once again its all the fault of the players around him?![/QUOTE]

What's all the fault of the players around him? I'm saying - in my opinion - he has been very decent in the last year. We play and we win, lose or draw as a team, but that doesn't mean that individual players can't have played well during the games we lost. He's not a good enough midfielder to control the midfield on his own but in a harder working team and with a couple of more creative players in there with him, he can contribute plenty.

BarneyK
16-08-2012, 03:01 PM
Kevin Thomson is a far better player than LS, he has just been unlucky with injuries and many forgot how good he was when he defected to tothe huns

He is a cracking player. A lot of folks' judgement has been clouded by the hoo-haa of his moving on. I still think Broony was the better player of the two, mind :wink:

Postman
16-08-2012, 03:05 PM
What's all the fault of the players around him? I'm saying - in my opinion - he has been very decent in the last year. We play and we win, lose or draw as a team, but that doesn't mean that individual players can't have played well during the games we lost. He's not a good enough midfielder to control the midfield on his own but in a harder working team and with a couple of more creative players in there with him, he can contribute plenty.

Can you sort out your replies, you're atributing all your and other posters comments to me!

Highlighted bit is where you should have stopped. He needs better players around him to hide how limited he is!! Until then you can keep saying the 'machine' needs all the parts to work but for me when the heart of your 'machine' is LS (centre mid) you are never going to get anywhere!

Postman
16-08-2012, 03:13 PM
He is a cracking player. A lot of folks' judgement has been clouded by the hoo-haa of his moving on. I still think Broony was the better player of the two, mind :wink:

Correct, he is a cracking player and I hope to one day see him back playing at ER again. He would make a massive difference

BarneyK
16-08-2012, 03:17 PM
Can you sort out your replies, you're atributing all your and other posters comments to me!

Highlighted bit is where you should have stopped. He needs better players around him to hide how limited he is!! Until then you can keep saying the 'machine' needs all the parts to work but for me when the heart of your 'machine' is LS (centre mid) you are never going to get anywhere!

Oh aye, post # 155. Genuinely no idea how that happened :greengrin Apologies.