PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy derby Songs

Monts
12-08-2012, 04:59 PM
I know this comes up a lot, but can we not give the mercer and paedo songs a rest?

Time to move on. All it serves to do is put a bad light on hibs.

SouthMoroccoStu
12-08-2012, 05:03 PM
I know this comes up a lot, but can we not give the mercer and paedo songs a rest?

Hmmmm,

Tried to kill my club and sex offender listed for touching and inappropriate behaviour against/toward children.

No your fine, they deserve to be reminded about the **** they support.

Monts
12-08-2012, 05:08 PM
Hmmmm,

Tried to kill my club and sex offender listed for touching and inappropriate behaviour against/toward children.

No your fine, they deserve to be reminded about the **** they support.

You think it makes hibs look good?

Will we attract new fans with these kind of songs?

SouthMoroccoStu
12-08-2012, 05:13 PM
You think it makes hibs look good?

Will we attract new fans with these kind of songs?

Sums them up rather nicely I think.

Sing for and about Hibs of course but they will be put In their place.

Monts
12-08-2012, 05:33 PM

That didnt answer either of the questions.

SouthMoroccoStu
12-08-2012, 05:38 PM
It makes them look bad.

The last time I checked, a winning team and good/loud atmospher makes the stadium. The songs are irrelevant.

Build on today and we ll be just fine

Elephant Stone
12-08-2012, 05:40 PM
100% agree.

"What can he play? He plays with children."? Horrific banter.

Northernhibee
12-08-2012, 05:41 PM
I want them to know that with all their 5-1s and unbeaten runs, I've still never been prouder to be a Hibee.

The dark days of CC are lifting. We're Hibs and we're ****ing brilliant, that's all that I want them to know.

GGTTH

Monts
12-08-2012, 05:46 PM
It makes them look bad.

The last time I checked, a winning team and good/loud atmospher makes the stadium. The songs are irrelevant.

Build on today and we ll be just fine

When all that can be heard coming from the home stands is 'Paedo paedophile', i dont think its them that looks bad.

If the songs are irrelevant, then why not leave these ones out?

SouthMoroccoStu
12-08-2012, 05:46 PM
I want them to know that with all their 5-1s and unbeaten runs, I've still never been prouder to be a Hibee.

The dark days of CC are lifting. We're Hibs and we're ****ing brilliant, that's all that I want them to know.

GGTTH
Loving your style ma man

Monts
12-08-2012, 05:47 PM

GGTTH
So pro hibs songs should be the order of the day then...

Northernhibee
12-08-2012, 05:49 PM
So pro hibs songs should be the order of the day then...

Precisely :wink::flag:

SouthMoroccoStu
12-08-2012, 05:52 PM
When all that can be heard coming from the home stands is 'Paedo paedophile', i dont think its them that looks bad.

If the songs are irrelevant, then why not leave these ones out?

Irrelevant if it happened 80 odd years ago.

But not the case.

I think he is still on their books, thats why JJ left. About the most honourable thing that man had ever done.

And I would be embarrassed if Hibs hired a manager with the record of Rix.

Monts
12-08-2012, 05:56 PM
Irrelevant if it happened 80 odd years ago.

But not the case.

I think he is still on their books, thats why JJ left. About the most honourable thing that man had ever done.

And I would be embarrassed if Hibs hired a manager with the record of Rix.

It was you that said the songs were irrelevant.

Granted I would be very upset if hibs had either of them on the books, but thats a different matter.

Singing about paedophiles in a jaunty fashion does not come across well and is detrimental to hibs image.

SouthMoroccoStu
12-08-2012, 06:04 PM
It was you that said the songs were irrelevant.

Granted I would be very upset if hibs had either of them on the books, but thats a different matter.

Singing about paedophiles in a jaunty fashion does not come across well and is detrimental to hibs image.

I don't think we re celebrating paedos.....

We re saying they associate with dirty child fiddlers

They should be reminded at ever possible point

Monts
12-08-2012, 06:06 PM
I don't think we re celebrating paedos.....

We re saying they associate with dirty child fiddlers

They should be reminded at ever possible point

So you can see no way that it could be seen as detrimental?

SouthMoroccoStu
12-08-2012, 06:09 PM
So you can see no way that it could be seen as detrimental?

Nope. Not at all.

MY CLUB doesnt have a recent inappropriate history towards behaviour with children

lyonhibs
12-08-2012, 06:10 PM
23 pages and at least 2 accounts being cancelled.

Monts
12-08-2012, 06:27 PM
Nope. Not at all.

MY CLUB doesnt have a recent inappropriate history towards behaviour with children

So you think anyone watching on tv will know the full story, knowing exactly what is being sung about?

Or will they be thinking 'Why on earth are the hibs fans singing about playing with children? thats disgusting'?

SouthMoroccoStu
12-08-2012, 06:37 PM
So you think anyone watching on tv will know the full story, knowing exactly what is being sung about?

Or will they be thinking 'Why on earth are the hibs fans singing about playing with children? thats disgusting'?

I don't think too many people watch the Edinburgh derby without a vested interest or without knowledge of Scottish football.

It's not el Classico we re trying to promote here.

And, more importantly, the internet is a wonderful tool. It doesnt take too much digging to find out the back ground. And in a neutral game, hearing something like that, I would 'read up'

Would you?

Monts
12-08-2012, 06:40 PM
I don't think too many people watch the Edinburgh derby without a vested interest or without knowledge of Scottish football.

It's not el Classico we re trying to promote here.

And, more importantly, the internet is a wonderful tool. It doesnt take too much digging to find out the back ground. And in a neutral game, hearing something like that, I would 'read up'

Would you?

I may, I may not.

Should people have to read up on songs being sung, in order to get past their disgust?

marinello59
12-08-2012, 06:42 PM

Would you like to explain to my ten year old laddy why singing sings about child abuse in front if children is acceptable?

SouthMoroccoStu
12-08-2012, 06:45 PM
Would you like to explain to my ten year old laddy why singing sings about child abuse in front if children is acceptable?

We are singing that child abuse is not acceptable.....

SouthMoroccoStu
12-08-2012, 06:49 PM
I may, I may not.

Should people have to read up on songs being sung, in order to get past their disgust?

There is not a week goes by on this forum that a member doesnt ask a question about another game not involving the action on the pitch.

I would think that we would be covered and they will be further exposed as the cretins they are.

Monts
12-08-2012, 06:51 PM
There is not a week goes by on this forum that a member doesnt ask a question about another game not involving the action on the pitch.

I would think that we would be covered and they will be further exposed as the cretins they are.

Not everyone reads forums.

Northernhibee
12-08-2012, 06:53 PM

Except you're not, are you?

You're using a disgusting human beings disgusting act to indulge in petty name calling.

We're the Hibees. The famous five, Turnbull's Tornadoes, Le God, Deeko, 7-0, 6-2. We don't need to sink to that, we've got a far, far prouder history to brag about without resorting to that.

marinello59
12-08-2012, 06:57 PM

So you are campaigning to protect the innocence of childhood by singing songs about child abuse in the presence if children, Think about that one. Doesn't make sense does it? Don't sing that cr@p near my kid any more please.

SouthMoroccoStu
12-08-2012, 06:59 PM
Except you're not, are you?

You're using a disgusting human beings disgusting act to indulge in petty name calling.

We're the Hibees. The famous five, Turnbull's Tornadoes, Le God, Deeko, 7-0, 6-2. We don't need to sink to that, we've got a far, far prouder history to brag about without resorting to that.

I'm sorry, I may have missed the part when we congratulate them.....

And they represent the disgusting act within their club

Northernhibee
12-08-2012, 07:04 PM
I'm sorry, I may have missed the part when we congratulate them.....

And they represent the disgusting act within their club

I'm sure you're showing how much of a Hibee you are by noticing that another team used to have Craig Thomson in it and a year has since passed.

When we sing about 7-0, 6-2 it's because Hibernian showed their true colours and wrote history.

You're using it to score points.

SouthMoroccoStu
12-08-2012, 07:05 PM
So you are campaigning to protect the innocence of childhood by singing songs about child abuse in the presence if children, Think about that one. Doesn't make sense does it? Don't sing that cr@p near my kid any more please.

Do we make it sound like we support or like it?

Supporting it would be continue to cheer one of our players once this type of offence had occurred

We are in no such a position

marinello59
12-08-2012, 07:07 PM

Supporting it would be continue to cheer one of our players once this type of offence had occurred

Read my post again and answer the point I made.

Baldy Foghorn
12-08-2012, 07:09 PM

Singing about it is gloryfying it......We are better than that nonsense

Greentinted
12-08-2012, 07:10 PM
Personally I see both sides. Football in the 21st century is a comparitively sanitised environment with families as a major target in order to advance the brand, and as a parent, I don't think I would be happy at having to explain to young kids the relevance of the word 'paedo' at a football match. After all, it is, when all said and done merely a game.

However, football is THE game which evokes (often disproportionate) passions and rivalries and as we know those rivalries are built on the concept of opposition. Our opponents today are the footballing and financial cheats who we share our city with and have been seen to endorse all sorts of anti-social, criminal and morally reprehensible behaviour.
Some of our support view this as fair game to highlight and ridicule in the context of the heat of a derby. Not my personal cup of tea but well, if 'they' had had more moral fibre, decency and integrity then we wouldn't be having this conversation. The onus is on them to detox!

Hearts are a vile club, no mistake, and the virulence that is associated with them was introduced by Mercer who, many more, particularly those amongst us old enough to recall the bloated bucket of botulism most definitely, consider fair game.
Romanov comes on board, applies the economics of gangsterism and debt avoidance, celebrates sex-offenders as 'heroes' and creates an inarticulate army of deeply dippy, window-licking, cardigan-wearing, second-hand-Rover driving, arse-licking, sectarian sloganeering, bus-fare missing Hunloving, pitch-invading, proto-hominid toadying BELIEVERS.

I think, when one views the overall landscape from afar, it is clear that any person capable of independence of thought has a duty to remind this wappen excuse of a football club of its many shortcomings at every opportunity (but perhaps - at least sometimes- in less 'graphic' terms).

SouthMoroccoStu
12-08-2012, 07:10 PM
I'm sure you're showing how much of a Hibee you are by noticing that another team used to have Craig Thomson in it and a year has since passed.

When we sing about 7-0, 6-2 it's because Hibernian showed their true colours and wrote history.

You're using it to score points.

Questioning how much of a HIBEE I am, hmmmm, running out of arguements?

They farmed him out to Lithuanian but he is still on their books.

There seems to be a lot of sensitive people on this forum tonight.

We are all proud of what we have achieved in the past but the doesn't change what they stand for and represent.

SouthMoroccoStu
12-08-2012, 07:11 PM
Singing about it is gloryfying it......We are better than that nonsense

Singing about it glorifies the hearts paedos?!

Really?

Elephant Stone
12-08-2012, 07:15 PM

Really?

Singing about paedophilia for the sake of point scoring is as low as it gets in terms of football songs.

Northernhibee
12-08-2012, 07:16 PM
Questioning how much of a HIBEE I am, hmmmm, running out of arguements?

They farmed him out to Lithuanian but he is still on their books.

There seems to be a lot of sensitive people on this forum tonight.

We are all proud of what we have achieved in the past but the doesn't change what they stand for and represent.

I have a million more arguments but only need one.

Continuously bringing up a sex offender to score cheap points a year on from the incident is simply moronic and reflects badly on our club.

Rather than focus on what they stand for and represented a year ago, why not focus on what WE stand for and what WE represent?

Baldy Foghorn
12-08-2012, 07:19 PM

Really?

I would say yes, sorry if you fail to grasp that concept......

Northernhibee
12-08-2012, 07:21 PM
Talking about who represents what, do we really think that the yams were sitting in their wee South stand thinking "Aye, paedos are grand"?

Every Jambo I know is just as disgusted at CT as we are.

Time to show a bit of class.

SouthMoroccoStu
12-08-2012, 07:22 PM
I have a million more arguments but only need one.

Continuously bringing up a sex offender to score cheap points a year on from the incident is simply moronic and reflects badly on our club.

Rather than focus on what they stand for and represented a year ago, why not focus on what WE stand for and what WE represent?

We do sing about what we stand for and what we represent.

This isn't an either / or argument.

I say it again. They re a a lot of touché people on this board.

And what's even funnier - I didn't sing these songs today. And I don't care I you don't believe me

But importantly, we have the right to if we choose to

SouthMoroccoStu
12-08-2012, 07:26 PM
I would say yes, sorry if you fail to grasp that concept......

If someone is failing to grasp I'm afraid it's you.

for the last time.

Those who chose to sing these songs are not in favour of hearts or pedophilia

marinello59
12-08-2012, 07:26 PM
We do sing about what we stand for and what we represent.

This isn't an either / or argument.

I say it again. They re a a lot of touché people on this board.

And what's even funnier - I didn't sing these songs today. And I don't care I you don't believe me

But importantly, we have the right to if we choose to

Still haven't given me an answer so I will ask again.
If you are so concerned about protecting the innocence of childhood why do you think that singing about child abuse in the presence of children is acceptable? Think carefully now.

SouthMoroccoStu
12-08-2012, 07:31 PM
Still haven't given me an answer so I will ask again.
If you are so concerned about protecting the innocence of childhood why do you think that singing about child abuse in the presence of children is acceptable? Think carefully now.

Are we glorifying it?

I personally think its important for children to know about the dangers that are round them.

Sweeping it under the rug and not talking about it is far more dangerous.

Has your son / daughter asked you about what is being sung and if so what did you say?

Monts
12-08-2012, 07:33 PM
Are we glorifying it?

I personally think its important for children to know about the dangers that are round them.

Has your son / daughter asked you about what is being sung and if so what did you say?

Are you seriously suggesting this should be deemed as some sort of educational ditty?

Northernhibee
12-08-2012, 07:34 PM
Are we glorifying it?

Except we're not talking about it. We're singing "Paedo paedo paedophile" about a player who hasn't appeared in a Hearts strip since the incident.

marinello59
12-08-2012, 07:37 PM
Are we glorifying it?

Mind your own business. Do you really think any parent doesn't explain the dangers around them?

Now answer my point. Should you sing about child abuse in front of children? Think carefully now because you really do seem to be struggling with the conflict you have between protecting the innocence of children and singing those songs in front of innocent kids.

SouthMoroccoStu
12-08-2012, 07:37 PM
Are you seriously suggesting this should be deemed as some sort of educational ditty?

You re not answering my question.

The football stand isn't a classroom. But if it can help a kid to begin to under the dangers of the world around them

Northernhibee
12-08-2012, 07:39 PM

The football stand isn't a classroom. But if it can help a kid to begin to under the dangers of the world around them

Amazing how much kids can learn from people singing "Paedo paedo paedophile" in an unrelated manner to what is going on in front of them.

Monts
12-08-2012, 07:41 PM

There are plenty of questions you havent managed to answer.

It is being glorified as any coverage it gets is giving it more power, especially when it is being used in petty point scoring.

And I dont have kids.

SouthMoroccoStu
12-08-2012, 07:43 PM
Mind your own business. Do you really think any parent doesn't explain the dangers around them?

Now answer my point. Should you sing about child abuse in front of children? Think carefully now because you really do seem to be struggling with the conflict you have between protecting the innocence of children and singing those songs in front of innocent kids.

You started this.

Did your kid ask you about this due to hearing a song at a match?

I honestly don't see it as a problem. I be heard dads who take their kids to the game singing it.

You are far too sensitive pal.

SouthMoroccoStu
12-08-2012, 07:46 PM
There are plenty of questions you havent managed to answer.

It is being glorified as any coverage it gets is giving it more power, especially when it is being used in petty point scoring.

And I dont have kids.

What questions have I not answered. Considering I'm having a three way arguement.

So the news glorifies murder by reporting it?

marinello59
12-08-2012, 07:48 PM
You started this.

Did your kid ask you about this due to hearing a song at a match?

I honestly don't see it as a problem. I be heard dads who take their kids to the game singing it.

You are far too sensitive pal.

Yes he did ask me. And my reply is none of your business.
Dads singing that in front of their kids? Not something I would do. In fact not something any parent I know would do
Too sensitive? You don't know me. I take my wee lad along to virtually every game and we hear all sorts. Most of it has us laughing away at the way fitba can get to you. Child abuse is a line in the sand one for me though. Your attempts to claim that the songs are providing an educational service merely serve to make you ridiculous.
I ain't your pal. Thank ****.

Elephant Stone
12-08-2012, 07:49 PM

Bloody hell.

And what about the parents who'd rather not have a discussion about paedophilia at the football with their children? Shall we just throw that upon them anyway so we can show everyone what a big bunch of beasts Hearts are?

What about people who have actually been affected by this kind of thing? How do you reckon they'll feel seeing hundereds of people shouting "paedo-paedo-paedophile" for 5 minutes in a jolly fashion?

Northernhibee
12-08-2012, 07:49 PM
What questions have I not answered. Considering I'm having a three way arguement.

The newsreaders don't sing "paedo paedo paedophile" live on air a year after the trial.

#FromTheCapital
12-08-2012, 07:51 PM
The hearts were havin a party the hearts were havin a party the hearts were havin party but there team was ****in *****. Looks like a few jambos may have red faces 2moro. Not so amazing wen u spend within your means. Oh and they never had a party either

Holmesdale Hibs
12-08-2012, 07:51 PM
I find the CT songs pretty tasteless and would rather not hear them. He doesn't even play for them anymore FFS but even if he did I think it's inappropriate and irrelevant to a football match.

The Walace Mercer songs are a bit different IMO and I think they're fair enough. Way I see it, if I tried to destroy hearts, it'd be reasonable for their fans to sing a few songs about me.

But I'd rather hear Hibs songs though, there seems to be more focus on winding up the opposition than supporting Hibs. Don't get me wrong, taking the piss out of yams should be commended but the atmosphere is better when we're all singing about hibs.

Baldy Foghorn
12-08-2012, 07:52 PM
If someone is failing to grasp I'm afraid it's you.

for the last time.

Those who chose to sing these songs are not in favour of hearts or pedophilia

OK why not sing about the atrocities caused by Mugabe etc.....? Let me think, that's not point scoring is it?

SouthMoroccoStu
12-08-2012, 07:55 PM
Yes he did ask me. And my reply is none of your business.
Dads singing that in front of their kids? Not something I would do. In fact not something any parent I know would do
Too sensitive? You don't know me. I take my wee lad along to virtually every game and we hear all sorts. Most of it has us laughing away at the way fitba can get to you. Child abuse is a line in the sand one for me though. Your attempts to claim that the songs are providing an educational service merely serve to make you ridiculous.
I ain't your pal. Thank ****.

Funny that, you did have to answer it but your not willing to share.

I'm just saying what I've seen. Take it up with them. I bet there had been people singing beside you and you ve done NOTHING.

I did not sing this today.

And you don't know me. but you sound like a lot of fun....

RoYO!
12-08-2012, 07:56 PM
Talking about who represents what, do we really think that the yams were sitting in their wee South stand thinking "Aye, paedos are grand"?

Every Jambo I know is just as disgusted at CT as we are.

Time to show a bit of class.

Why haven't they rallied and got this guy off the books then?

Would we not have?

Northernhibee
12-08-2012, 07:59 PM
Why haven't they rallied and got this guy off the books then?

Would we not have?

:rolleyes:

Sometimes someone comes up with an argument so idiotic you can't really argue back.

They did. I know some Jambos who all did, they know plenty more.

Monts
12-08-2012, 08:00 PM

The questions may have been answered by a politicians standards, but not actually answered.

Baldy Foghorn
12-08-2012, 08:00 PM

I'm just saying what I've seen. Take it up with them. I bet there had been people singing beside you and you ve done NOTHING.

It has nothing to do with marinello59 being fun or not....He is objecting to hearing that nonsense when with his son, natural reaction don't you think?

Monts
12-08-2012, 08:01 PM

Why not?

1two
12-08-2012, 08:03 PM
The paedo song - Regardless if You agree with singing it or not, It's horrifically cringeworthy, and I get embarrassed every time I hear it

Baldy Foghorn
12-08-2012, 08:05 PM
The paedo song - Regardless if You agree with singing it or not, It's horrifically cringeworthy, and I get embarrassed every time I hear it

Ditto........

SouthMoroccoStu
12-08-2012, 08:13 PM
It has nothing to do with marinello59 being fun or not....He is objecting to hearing that nonsense when with his son, natural reaction don't you think?

He's the one that said he didnt want to be my friend. Very hurt

Take it up with those singing at the time.

Not hours later when your on a forum.

JimBHibees
12-08-2012, 08:16 PM
Joke song sung by numbskulls who cant get a bird. FACT. :greengrin

SouthMoroccoStu
12-08-2012, 08:17 PM
Why not?

Too busy singing pro Hibs songs :greengrin

Baldy Foghorn
12-08-2012, 08:19 PM

Take it up with those singing at the time.

Not hours later when your on a forum.

Do you think he is so irresponsible as to be confrontational in front of his son?

I'm done on this thread, bash on.........

Famous Fiver
12-08-2012, 08:20 PM
They call me gay.

I call them paedos.

.Sean.
12-08-2012, 08:23 PM
The Mercer and Thomson songs are absolutely cringeworthy. Honestly.

Not only are you embarassing yourselves but you embarass the rest of us. Give it a rest. The only negative of an otherwise positive day. Most of it seemed to be emanating from the singing section golden boys.

marinello59
12-08-2012, 08:24 PM

Take it up.

:greengrin
We are never going to agree on this one so I will bow out. I am sure there are other things we agree on......and others we will still disagree on.
You are right about one thing, I ain't much fun. Just ask my wife. Peace.

SouthMoroccoStu
12-08-2012, 08:25 PM
Do you think he is so irresponsible as to be confrontational in front of his son?

I'm done on this thread, bash on.........

But it's far more effective to whine hours later......

SouthMoroccoStu
12-08-2012, 08:28 PM
:greengrin
We are never going to agree on this one so I will bow out. I am sure there are other things we agree on......and others we will still disagree on.
You are right about one thing, I ain't much fun. Just ask my wife. Peace.

No ill feeling from me.

Just a few supporters debating a point. I'm glad it didn't turn personal or nasty like so many other threads

All the best :flag:

silverhibee
12-08-2012, 08:33 PM
The drum was more annoying. :cb

SteveHFC
12-08-2012, 08:37 PM
The drum was more annoying. :cb

Your getting auld Silver :wink:

Brooster
12-08-2012, 08:39 PM
I'll tell you something about the CT song, it shuts the yams up every time its sung. Im not saying I agree with it but it has the desired effect.

Seekyit
12-08-2012, 08:52 PM

The Mercer song never bothered me considering who he was and what he was about (or trying to be about), but aye it's auld hat now.

The paedo song just disnae seem right but i quite like the tune. We need a players name we could sing that to.

Wother wother wotherspoon.

Maybe no...

Pretty Boy
12-08-2012, 08:54 PM
Pish banter imo.

Up there with the refugee song in terms of cringeworthiness.

Each to their own though but It's not for me.

Beefster
12-08-2012, 09:03 PM
Are we glorifying it?

Can you sing a song about the dangers of sticking knitting needles into plug sockets at the next home game please? Save me telling the bairns.

Pretty Boy
12-08-2012, 09:08 PM
Can you sing a song about the dangers of sticking knitting needles into plug sockets at the next home game please? Save me telling the bairns.

Good idea.

My wee dug ate some chocolate the other day so maybe we can bark a song about the dangers of animals with lactose intolerance eating chocolate.

This could become a regular thing.

500miles
12-08-2012, 09:14 PM
Hearts continue to associate themselves with sex offenders, so the song will continue to be sung. This isn't a case of inciting bigotry, racism or any other sort of sensitive group. It puts them right in thier place. Sometimes you have to explain uncomfortable things to a child, sorry that's just part of parental responsibility. Whether you want to describe the term in full or just say " a grown up who does really bad things to kids", that's your choice.

As for the Wallace Mercer song, yeah its more controversial, but I've come around to some pretty convincing arguements to not object myself. There are folk out there who take joy in the irony of him not being able to outlive the institution he tried to kill, and for some, it runs deeper than that.

There is no defence for the refugee song.

CropleyWasGod
12-08-2012, 09:16 PM

I like the idea of ER being the replacement for all those Public Information films we used to get when we were wee. Like "Charlie says...." and "Learn to swim, young man.." Come to think of it, there was also the "Stranger Danger" one....:greengrin

SaulGoodman
12-08-2012, 09:20 PM
Good idea.

My wee dug ate some chocolate the other day so maybe we can bark a song about the dangers of animals with lactose intolerance eating chocolate.

Or leaving bleach in the bottom cupboard :agree:

It's a service we provide as Hibs Fans :flag:

Scouse Hibee
12-08-2012, 09:20 PM
Hearts continue to associate themselves with sex offenders, so the song will continue to be sung. This isn't a case of inciting bigotry, racism or any other sort of sensitive group. It puts them right in thier place. Sometimes you have to explain uncomfortable things to a child, sorry that's just part of parental responsibility. Whether you want to describe the term in full or just say " a grown up who does really bad things to kids", that's your choice.

As for the Wallace Mercer song, yeah its more controversial, but I've come around to some pretty convincing arguements to not object myself. There are folk out there who take joy in the irony of him not being able to outlive the institution he tried to kill, and for some, it runs deeper than that.

There is no defence for the refugee song.

In your opinion!

Sir David Gray
12-08-2012, 10:11 PM
I don't like the songs regarding Craig Thomson, they should be stopped as far as I'm concerned. Singing songs about paedophilia really isn't funny at all and isn't appropriate when there's young children around.

The Wallace Mercer songs aren't my cup of tea either but I wasn't old enough to remember the proposed takeover so I can understand how some people who were around at that time may have that feeling of hatred towards Mercer and therefore feel that it's justified to sing the songs that they sing about him now that he's dead and we're still here.

Northernhibee
12-08-2012, 11:22 PM
Good idea.

Seeing as how Mercer songs fly according to this thread, we could have "The dog of John McGynn, ate some chocolate in the bin, now it's pushing up daisies like W***** M******" :greengrin

Paisley Hibby
12-08-2012, 11:26 PM

Well said. Singing that stuff shows a total lack of class.

R'Albin
12-08-2012, 11:32 PM
I don't like the songs regarding Craig Thomson, they should be stopped as far as I'm concerned. Singing songs about paedophilia really isn't funny at all and isn't appropriate when there's young children around.

The Wallace Mercer songs aren't my cup of tea either but I wasn't old enough to remember the proposed takeover so I can understand how some people who were around at that time may have that feeling of hatred towards Mercer and therefore feel that it's justified to sing the songs that they sing about him now that he's dead and we're still here.

I'm the exact same with both of them to be honest. I never understand why guys who were clearly too young to have been around at the time sing it/get shirts going on about his death etc. I could never feel that level of hate towards someone I never really seen whilst he was alive.

The_Horde
12-08-2012, 11:47 PM
Don't have a problem with either song, as long as it's against hearts.

hibeedonald
13-08-2012, 12:59 AM
;3325705']Don't have a problem with either song, as long as it's against hearts.

:agree: So cringe worthy when people sing mercer stuff and we're playing against St Mirren etc. The CT pedo chants were good when he was actually playing for them, I remember how wound up he got.

andrew_dundee
13-08-2012, 01:02 AM
The CT chants are inapropriate and wrong. Having said that, I imagine that they were perceived differently and must have been effective in putting him off and shaming yams when he played for them. Now that he's gone it's a bit embarrasing and makes us look like morons. Also, if there people who have been affected by paedophiles and perverts in the stadium (which is a statistical probability) then I can't imagine that they like hearing this song much.

Saorsa
13-08-2012, 05:58 AM
slightly offencive songs sung at fitba match shock :rolleyes:

Tell all the :jamboclow you know http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r623/JDPH1875/smilies%202/27527_10150172587805385_9802_q.jpg is http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r623/JDPH1875/smilies%202/dead.gif and :scarf: no, he's no longer here :bye: so lets have a :cheers: http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r623/JDPH1875/smilies%202/27527_10150172587805385_9802_q.jpg is http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r623/JDPH1875/smilies%202/dead.gif and :scarf: no

Saorsa
13-08-2012, 06:05 AM

Time to move on. All it serves to do is put a bad light on hibs.away tae the tennis then and listen tae Cliff Richard singing mistletoe & wine

1two
13-08-2012, 06:26 AM
Its a children's tune used o describe a Paedophile
"What can he play, he play with children...."
Anybody who can sing that and not feel uncomfortable has issues.

The Wallace mercer song may be poor but I get it, it's just outdated and boring now though.

SouthamptonHibs
13-08-2012, 09:21 AM
Sing what we want Mercer tried to kill our club **** him! Craig T deserves his song everything ok with me Hail Hail

Monts
13-08-2012, 09:59 AM
slightly offencive songs sung at fitba match shock :rolleyes:

Wheres the line then? Are the sectarian songs only slightly offensive? Are racist songs acceptable cos its at the football?

Scouse Hibee
13-08-2012, 10:07 AM
Wheres the line then? Are the sectarian songs only slightly offensive? Are racist songs acceptable cos its at the football?

The imaginary line is drawn by society, some choose to cross it others do not. Sad fact but fact none the less.

johnbc70
13-08-2012, 10:43 AM
The imaginary line is drawn by society, some choose to cross it others do not. Sad fact but fact none the less.

Agree, some find it offensive and pretty childish, while others do not and do not have a problem with it.