PDA

View Full Version : Wotherspoon

Monts
12-08-2012, 04:53 PM
I thought he had a pretty good game today out on the right.

Hes been one that has been in for a fair bit of stick recently, so I think its only right to give credit where its due.

He had some nice footwork, good interplay and set up the goal perfectly. He also threw in some dangerous crosses, although others were fluffed.

Overall though I thought he was much improved.

steakbake
12-08-2012, 04:57 PM
Yes, another plus today was to see him pick it up a bit.

mcvie7
12-08-2012, 04:57 PM

Hes been one that has been in for a fair bit of stick recently, so I think its only right to give credit where its due.

He had some nice footwork, good interplay and set up the goal perfectly. He also threw in some dangerous crosses, although others were fluffed.

Had a really good game today, only 1 mistake for me could have easily put Caldwell in on goal near the end but launched it out of play.

Spike Mandela
12-08-2012, 04:58 PM
He certainly seen plenty of the ball but was disappointing with a lot of his deliveries. Really needs to work on getting crosses and corners past the first man.

Good work at the goal as you say but would like to see more from him considering some of the advanced positions he found himself in though.

givescotlandfreedom
12-08-2012, 04:58 PM
:agree: Spoony's best game in ages. Great assist from him too.

SaulGoodman
12-08-2012, 05:00 PM
Am I right in thinking he was playing in his preferred position tonight?

Heisenberg
12-08-2012, 05:02 PM
We did well to get the ball over to him and target their left back as he looked quite poor. Good assist for the goal too.

hibee_girl
12-08-2012, 05:03 PM
I thought he did okay today but was still the weakest in the team IMO

HibbyAndy
Fantastic today.

aunty joyce
I totally agree and it was Spoony who threaded the pass perfectly for Sparky to score . . . unfortunately the pro-soccer manager who sits behind us would

clearly disagree as he hurled abuse at him saying he's been awful :rolleyes:

steakbake
12-08-2012, 05:04 PM
:agree: Spoony's best game in ages. Great assist from him too.

Good ball from Maybury as well. Fenlons been at the video vault and watching some of the forward plays from the Mowbrat era.

I long for the days we had defenders who can find a pass. Some of those Whittaker to Murphy looping passes across the pitch were just sublime.

Wotherspiniesta
12-08-2012, 05:05 PM
Did well today :agree:

Much better option than Sproule.

Wotherspiniesta
12-08-2012, 05:06 PM
Good ball from Maybury as well. Fenlons been at the video vault and watching some of the forward plays from the Mowbrat era.

I long for the days we had defenders who can find a pass. Some of those Whittaker to Murphy looping passes across the pitch were just sublime.

Was it not Stevenson who played the ball wide?

Could be wrong.

Certainly was a great goal from us!

steakbake
12-08-2012, 05:06 PM
Was it not Stevenson who played the ball wide?

Could be wrong.

Fairly sure it was from Maybury on the left and he found Spoony.

Wotherspiniesta
12-08-2012, 05:11 PM
Fairly sure it was from Maybury on the left and he found Spoony.

GOAL- Hibernian 1-1 Hearts (Griffiths)Lewis Stevenson finds David Wotherspoon with a long, cross-field pass and this time the midfielder does pick out Leigh Griffiths with a lovely pass. The striker is eye-to-eye with Jamie Macdonald and pokes the ball under the advancing goalkeeper.

:na na:

Anyway, I'm away for a steakbake!

Matt92
12-08-2012, 05:11 PM
I'm away at the very back of the Famous Five and genuinely thought for the first 20 minutes he was a new signing/youth! Great performance by him.

lucky
12-08-2012, 05:15 PM
Played his part today. Hopefully he can kick on and get some confidence and be more consistent

I'm_cabbaged
12-08-2012, 05:18 PM
Na was Stevenson, usually a spoony defender but thought he was pretty poor today. Plenty of opportunities to get past the last man but did his usual cut inside

Edit: should have quoted stakebake

Northernhibee
12-08-2012, 05:20 PM
Would be thinking of this for the next game:

Williams
Clancy McPake Hanlon Maybury
Wotherspoon Claros Deegan Cairney
Griffiths Kuqi

Subs: Antell, O'Hanlon, Booth, Stevenson, Doyle, Stanton, Caldwell

Which looks much, much stronger.

Plus PF will be back on the touchline.

essexhibee
12-08-2012, 05:21 PM
Great pass for the goal. Thought he played well today. Few dodgy passes he needs to cut out but massive improvement than when I have previously seen him.

keep the faith
12-08-2012, 05:23 PM

Yep. if PF is talking about a few more signings or loan deals it would be spoony making way IMO.

ahibby
12-08-2012, 05:32 PM
I thought he had a poor first twenty minutes then got better as the game went on. Was a good assist from him.

steakbake
12-08-2012, 05:33 PM
GOAL- Hibernian 1-1 Hearts (Griffiths)Lewis Stevenson finds David Wotherspoon with a long, cross-field pass and this time the midfielder does pick out Leigh Griffiths with a lovely pass. The striker is eye-to-eye with Jamie Macdonald and pokes the ball under the advancing goalkeeper.

:na na:

Anyway, I'm away for a steakbake!

it's a fair cop.

Broken Gnome
12-08-2012, 05:54 PM
I'm usually a sympathiser but was half expecting him to get pelters on here. Didn't think he was bad as such, good moments such as the assist obviously, but I almost symbolise with having his head almost permanently in his hands. See the throughball to Handling that was hit around four times as hard as it should've been, immediately after the great skill to give himself space.

Bloody infuriating. Looks so naturally gifted at times, yet the most simple things can look such an effort minutes later.

Baldy Foghorn
12-08-2012, 05:58 PM

Thought he was our weak link too....Sublime ball for goal, but deliveries woeful....Shocking ball for Caldwell, near the end....

Scouse Hibee
12-08-2012, 06:00 PM
Opinions eh, he saw plenty of the ball but thought most of his deliveries from wide were poor and and his passing at times was woeful.

Piqué
12-08-2012, 06:09 PM
Just a shame he isn't a bit quicker, would have torn their full back to pieces if he had that little extra burst. Had to keep cutting inside instead.

PJ IronHIbee
12-08-2012, 06:23 PM
I hate to be negative after such a great team performance. The fighting spirit was there to see. However, I have to agree that Spoony was our weak link today. I couldn't see how good his pass was from where I was sitting.

J-C
12-08-2012, 06:30 PM
Looked better than has been for a while but still gets caught too often in possession, bullied off the ball, painfully slow at times and passing/crossing poor, better but still needs to improve a lot.

theonlywayisup
12-08-2012, 06:30 PM

Goodbye.........he is the weakest link!

Yes - good pass, but poor crosses throughout, poor pass at the end when we had a chance to hit on the break, cuts back when there is no need to!! Sorry, not good enough, weakest link, has to go.

I am usually very supportive of him, but he is not good enough.

theonlywayisup
12-08-2012, 06:32 PM
I'm usually a sympathiser but was half expecting him to get pelters on here. Didn't think he was bad as such, good moments such as the assist obviously, but I almost symbolise with having his head almost permanently in his hands. See the throughball to Handling that was hit around four times as hard as it should've been, immediately after the great skill to give himself space.

Bloody infuriating. Looks so naturally gifted at times, yet the most simple things can look such an effort minutes later.

He has had his chances, but not good enough. Bin!!

Juice-Terry
12-08-2012, 06:34 PM

Yes - good pass, but poor crosses throughout, poor pass at the end when we had a chance to hit on the break, cuts back when there is no need to!! Sorry, not good enough, weakest link, has to go.

I tought he was quite poor today (again). Definitely our weakest link. Sorry....

Onion
12-08-2012, 06:36 PM
Great piece of skill and pass for the goal, did a few vg things and gave 100% but simply not good enough is we want to progress. Frustrating player capable of moments of really great play, but far too inconsistent, lets his head go down too easily and doesn't have the winning mentality that PF is looking to bring to ER.

SMAXXA
12-08-2012, 06:36 PM

Yup

The Voice Of Reason
12-08-2012, 07:27 PM
Thought he was our weak link too....Sublime ball for goal, but deliveries woeful....Shocking ball for Caldwell, near the end....

Sums it up or me.

He did well for our goal and also whipped in a great ball in the first half. He wasnt as poor as he normally is to be fair.

500miles
12-08-2012, 07:55 PM
Thought he was very lively, worked hard and claimed a lovely assist. That'll do for me the now. Hopefully we can get into the habit of winning, because youngsters always develop better in that environment.

Ferryhibby
12-08-2012, 07:57 PM

:top marks me too i thought i was goin to be in the minority here but i thought the guy was bloody awful..ok good pass for the goal but that was it..hes not strong enough and constanly wants to beat his man twice with some pish cut back....passing was short his positional sense is nil and dont start on the free kicks, crosses or corners....he has dissapointed us constantly and doesnt seem to have improved one bit since his first season.

Bookkeeper
12-08-2012, 10:16 PM
Did well today :agree:

Much better option than Sproule.

Yeah :agree: I hope we can see an improved Spoony this year with a stronger midfield. Still think confidence is the issue with him, he sometimes tries too hard and over complicates when the simple option is best. Just not sure if he has the pace for the wider positions. Might not have seen the end of Ivan.

Sir David Gray
12-08-2012, 11:13 PM
Good pass to Griffiths for the goal but I actually thought he was poor today.

Opinions! :wink:

leggeto
12-08-2012, 11:18 PM
Done very well like all the lads keep up the the good graft lads

Northernhibee
12-08-2012, 11:19 PM
Spoony is one of those players who would be harshly treated if we judged them on the last 2-3 years along with Hanlon, Stevenson etc.

Now he's looking as if he could be in an organised team, will be good to see what he can do.

Hibs7
13-08-2012, 08:22 AM
Think it is all to do with confidence with him, give him half a season when Hibs are playing well and watch the difference in him, he is a talented footballer and not someone we should punt.

YehButNoBut
14-08-2012, 09:56 AM
Good pic with the Andy Murray post box, looking for big things from Spoony this season. :thumbsup:

https://p.twimg.com/A0P48C6CcAA7H2p.jpg

HibeeN
14-08-2012, 10:22 AM
Think it is all to do with confidence with him, give him half a season when Hibs are playing well and watch the difference in him, he is a talented footballer and not someone we should punt.

Agree with this. We've been poor the past few seasons, and that can't have helped with the development of our younger players. They've been around they first team for a while now, but they ARE still young and they can't be expected to play with confidence and get better when the rest of the team has been lacking in passion and commitment. I don't believe Spoony would continue to keep his place in the Scotland U21s if he was as poor as some people say.

With more quality and commitment around the team this season, and players like McPake (for Hanlon), Cairney and Deegan (for Spoony) helping to bring out the best in them, I would hope that we'd start to see the younger players with more confidence and assurance this season. If we have a decent season and they still look like they've not improved, then maybe that's the time to look at how things stand, but for now I think they deserve more of a chance to show what they can do.

DaveF
18-08-2012, 06:24 PM
A raking pass right from the top drawer to set LG on his way for the 1st today. In fact, a nice one-two with Clancy in our penalty box to start it all off.

Wotherspiniesta
18-08-2012, 06:38 PM
A raking pass right from the top drawer to set LG on his way for the 1st today. In fact, a nice one-two with Clancy in our penalty box to start it all off.

Never make it as a professional footballer etc etc :blah:

500miles
18-08-2012, 06:42 PM
I've said this on other threads, but it's difficult to develop players in the sort of malaise and restrictive atmosphere of defeat that hibs have suffered for the last few years. I hope to see Wotherspoon, Booth, Stevenson, and all the youngsters benefit from the improvement in fortunes at the club.

Franck Stanton
18-08-2012, 06:44 PM
I've said this on other threads, but it's difficult to develop players in the sort of malaise and restrictive atmosphere of defeat that hibs have suffered for the last few years. I hope to see Wotherspoon, Booth, Booth, and all the youngsters benefit from the improvement in fortunes at the club.

mmmm, two Booths ?

Wotherspiniesta
18-08-2012, 06:44 PM
I've said this on other threads, but it's difficult to develop players in the sort of malaise and restrictive atmosphere of defeat that hibs have suffered for the last few years. I hope to see Wotherspoon, Booth, Booth, and all the youngsters benefit from the improvement in fortunes at the club.

Booth of them? :greengrin

Wotherspiniesta
18-08-2012, 06:46 PM
mmmm, two Booths ?

We've only got two Booths :singing:

500miles
18-08-2012, 06:47 PM
I have no idea what you are all talking about.

Ryan91
18-08-2012, 07:15 PM
Spoony was great in the first half but towards the end of the second he seemed to drift away a bit and was being beaten more often than not. I don't know if that was because he was knackered or because he simply couldn't be bothered, looked a bit of both at times. He's a good player, but the last few years will have affected his ability to grow as a player.

maturehibby
18-08-2012, 07:36 PM
laddie is relishing not getting pelters from the Hibs faithful and as a result is trying and succeeding with better passes and play .
Was a new player and a confident player who got stuck in and did some excellent defensive and attacking play .
I though Claros too played the best I have seen him and like Spoonie he too is feeling and looking a better player with the Fans off his back .
They and the rest of the defence fought well today and other times the head would have went down and we would have scaped a draw if we were lucky but we held together and got a win - well done Spoonie for your part

essexhibee
18-08-2012, 07:39 PM
Very pleasing to hear he did well today once more :agree:

Onion
18-08-2012, 07:45 PM

A confidence player who has proved time and again he's not quite good (or consistent) enough for Hibs, but played one of the passes of the season so far for the first goal. Well done Spoony.

matty_f
18-08-2012, 07:47 PM
I've said this on other threads, but it's difficult to develop players in the sort of malaise and restrictive atmosphere of defeat that hibs have suffered for the last few years. I hope to see Wotherspoon, Booth, Stevenson, and all the youngsters benefit from the improvement in fortunes at the club.

With the right sort of player to get players like Wotherspoon through a game, the young ones will come on leaps and bounds. Two assists in two games for Wotherspoon now, long may it continue.

hibsbollah
18-08-2012, 07:57 PM
Spoony today: great long pass for Griffiths' first. Worked his socks off all game closing down in midfield. Supported Clancy by doubling up on their wide men, something we never ever seem to do. Well done Spoony, maybe right mid is your best position after all :greengrin

Sir David Gray
18-08-2012, 08:01 PM

Lewis Stevenson will be 25 years old in January. He might still look about 14 but he's certainly no longer a youngster!

Macaroon
18-08-2012, 08:05 PM
Booth of them? :greengrin

This properly made me laugh.

Thank you for that :greengrin

frazeHFC
18-08-2012, 08:53 PM
Did well today, made a couple of errors but made up for them by winning it back quickly. Some great balls down the channel to the strikers.

SMAXXA
18-08-2012, 09:04 PM

Here he comes right on queue :zzzzz!:

In all fairness I didnt see the game today but if he did well then good lad......gees thats me finding myself praising Hanlon and now possibly Spoony in the space of a week, maybe the guys saying all they neeeded was decent players round them were right all along.

Lets judge after 10 games but so far if today and last week for Hanlon especially is anything to go on the signs are positive :agree:

Northernhibee
18-08-2012, 09:27 PM
TBH I really like Spoony. He needs to be in a half decent team to be effective, but when he has that we're stronger with him. Two good passes to create goals so far this season.

JIm
19-08-2012, 11:48 AM
TBH I really like Spoony. He needs to be in a half decent team to be effective, but when he has that we're stronger with him. Two good passes to create goals so far this season.

Cant argue with this. Was a mixed bag yesterday, but sometimes he does some really good things. Areas of his game that he needs to imporove and develop but all in all he's looked much better this season. Stick with him and keep supporting him and i'm sure we'll see some good stuff this year.

J-C
19-08-2012, 12:03 PM
He started his career at Hibs as a wingback, maybe playing as an outright right sided midfielder will be best for him, I've thought for a while that he'd stagnated as a player, lets hope he turns that corner and proves us all wrong.

Wotherspiniesta
19-08-2012, 12:07 PM
Here he comes right on queue :zzzzz!:

In all fairness I didnt see the game today but if he did well then good lad......gees thats me finding myself praising Hanlon and now possibly Spoony in the space of a week, maybe the guys saying all they neeeded was decent players round them were right all along.

Lets judge after 10 games but so far if today and last week for Hanlon especially is anything to go on the signs are positive :agree:

I'm just as quick to praise him as you and others are to slate him, so gie it a rest. :rolleyes:

And yes, yes we were :greengrin

500miles
19-08-2012, 12:30 PM
Lewis Stevenson will be 25 years old in January. He might still look about 14 but he's certainly no longer a youngster!

Barry Robson, for one, was still kicking about the lower leagues at that age. Lewis will develop in a more successful team. There was one or two SPL managers asking questions about his availablity in the closed season - one of them being Steve Lomas, and at least one other who wasn't named - although, for some reason, I thought it may have been Danny Lennon.

PF see's the potential in him too. Don't think we'll ever get a lot of goals from him, but I think that the reason that Hearts started to get more of the ball in midfield in the second half last week is because he got injured.

Dirkster23
19-08-2012, 12:46 PM
Barry Robson, for one, was still kicking about the lower leagues at that age. Lewis will develop in a more successful team. There was one or two SPL managers asking questions about his availablity in the closed season - one of them being Steve Lomas, and at least one other who wasn't named - although, for some reason, I thought it may have been Danny Lennon.

PF see's the potential in him too. Don't think we'll ever get a lot of goals from him, but I think that the reason that Hearts started to get more of the ball in midfield in the second half last week is because he got injured.

I can't recall talk of 2 SPL teams looking to sign Lewis in the summer? Where did you get this from?

I think LS is a good squad player for us, just get the feeling he's one of the players we need to replace if we hope to be a top 6 side.

HibbyAndy
19-08-2012, 12:51 PM
I can't recall talk of 2 SPL teams looking to sign Lewis in the summer? Where did you get this from?

I think LS is a good squad player for us, just get the feeling he's one of the players we need to replace if we hope to be a top 6 side.

I was told, Infact i know 2 spl clubs where after LS, One of those clubs was Motherwell.

500miles
19-08-2012, 01:17 PM
I was told, Infact i know 2 spl clubs where after LS, One of those clubs was Motherwell.

Well the other one was St. Johnstone then. They were sniffing about as early as January.

Bostonhibby
19-08-2012, 03:26 PM
3 of us there yesterday all thought the same thing - he had a much improved game - something to do with have a better midfield generally, hope this gives him hte change to push on.

Dirkster23
19-08-2012, 03:35 PM

Well the other one was St. Johnstone then. They were sniffing about as early as January.

Must be true then :confused:

HibbyAndy
19-08-2012, 03:46 PM
Must be true then :confused:

I know for a fact Motherwell wanted Stevenson, So yeah, It is true.

The Voice Of Reason
19-08-2012, 07:02 PM

Hilarious !

:faf:

You weren't even at the game yesterday yet one decent pass makes our consistently worst performer (check previous "player ratings" threads for proof of this) a world beater and gives you bragging rights over fans who have dared to comment on how consistently bad Wotherspoon has been ?!?!

We all want our players to play well, but your constant denial of wotherspoons dreadful preformances has become laughable and boring.

Do you actually go to the games ? Do you know anything about football ? Your posts about wotherspoons performances suggest that the answer to these questions are"NO"

Just saying likes :aok:

Northernhibee
19-08-2012, 07:12 PM
Hilarious !

You weren't even at the game yesterday yet one decent pass makes our consistently worst performer (check previous "player ratings" threads for proof of this) a world beater and gives you bragging rights over fans who have dared to comment on how consistently bad Wotherspoon has been ?!?!

We all want our players to play well, but your constant denial of wotherspoons dreadful preformances has become laughable and boring.

Do you actually go to the games ? Do you know anything about football ? Your posts about wotherspoons performances suggest that the answer to these questions are"NO"

I wouldn't take .net's manic panic opinions as fact by a long way.

This season, Hibs have scored three goals. Spoony has two assists.

For once we're on our way up, can we go without slagging players for one day?

The Voice Of Reason
19-08-2012, 07:32 PM
I wouldn't take .net's manic panic opinions as fact by a long way.

This season, Hibs have scored three goals. Spoony has two assists.

For once we're on our way up, can we go without slagging players for one day?

I'd suggest that the "Player Ratings" threads are the best place to judge how a player has performed (I find them invaluable if I haven't been to a game myself).

No one was slagging Wotherspoon - it was Wotherspooniesta who made the sarcy comment ! I think she has a crush on Wotherspoon and takes it personally when anyone dares comment on how bad he has been !

I saw the Hearts game and thought Wotherspoon did ok - certainly not as bad as last season or against Dun Utd. I hope he continues to improve ! :agree:

Northernhibee
19-08-2012, 07:38 PM
I'd suggest that the "Player Ratings" threads are the best place to judge how a player has performed (I find them invaluable if I haven't been to a game myself).

No one was slagging Wotherspoon - it was Wotherspooniesta who made the sarcy comment ! I think she has a crush on Wotherspoon and takes it personally when anyone dares comment on how bad he has been !

I saw the Hearts game and thought Wotherspoon did ok - certainly not as bad as last season or against Dun Utd. I hope he continues to improve ! :agree:

I typically find the player ratings threads to be wildly inconsistent - I'm more interested in what he's done for us, and for this season he's provided 66.6% of the passes that have lead to a goal.

Spoony needs a half decent team around him, much the same as Claros. Now we have Deegan and Clancy around him with Sparky, Doyle and the Kuqi Monster to feed it to, it's going to be a big season for the young lad. Some of the players who lacked physical presence like Stevenson, Spoony, Doyle etc. are all of a sudden going to find they have a bit more space and time, now will be the time to judge their place within this team fairly. Spoony is easily a first team starter right now.

The Voice Of Reason
19-08-2012, 07:47 PM
I typically find the player ratings threads to be wildly inconsistent - I'm more interested in what he's done for us, and for this season he's provided 66.6% of the passes that have lead to a goal.

Spoony needs a half decent team around him, much the same as Claros. Now we have Deegan and Clancy around him with Sparky, Doyle and the Kuqi Monster to feed it to, it's going to be a big season for the young lad. Some of the players who lacked physical presence like Stevenson, Spoony, Doyle etc. are all of a sudden going to find they have a bit more space and time, now will be the time to judge their place within this team fairly. Spoony is easily a first team starter right now.

Check back on the Player Ratings threads - Wotherspoon's dreadful ratings are extremely consistent..........and these are from fans who are all desparate for the players to do well, who actually go to the games and see him in the flesh.

All players need half decent players around them. It is a big season for Wotherspoon, I hope he proves us doubters wrong ! :agree:

P.S Just seen the highlights from yesterday - it was a brilliant ball from Wotherspoon for the 1st goal.

Wotherspiniesta
19-08-2012, 07:55 PM
Hilarious !

F sake.

How about just giving the guy a bit of credit for having a good start to the season?

Or would you just prefer he had a crap game week in week out so you can continue this pathetic charade of one upsmanship ?

You say that we all want out players to do well, but yet come on here with a bee in your bonnet about Spoony having a good game.

FYI, I wasn't there yesterday, but I get along to most home games when I'm no working. Usually in the FF lower.

Northernhibee
19-08-2012, 08:00 PM
Check back on the Player Ratings threads - Wotherspoon's dreadful ratings are extremely consistent..........and these are from fans who are all desparate for the players to do well, who actually go to the games and see him in the flesh.

I think part of the problem on here is that as soon as a player is branded as pish, there's no changing peoples minds. I seen some performances last season from the likes of Hanlon, Claros, Doyle, Spoony etc. that saw .netters slating them but personally thought they were far from the culprits.

I would consider our best starting XI to be Williams, Clancy, McPake, Hanlon, Maybury, Spoony, Claros, Deegan, Cairney, Griffiths and Doyle (could be overtaken by Kuqi once we see more of him) and to be honest, there are few positions there that feel particularly contentious. Spoony has become a starter on merit.

Iggy Pope
19-08-2012, 08:04 PM
Hilarious !

Would I be right in thinking there is more than a hint of irony in your choice of Username?

Players ratings are the most random thing about this board. Pay them no attention. They offer proof of nothing much except the ability of (some) people to count to ten. If you're not getting to games (and you don't seem to be, sorry if I'm wrong), then pay some heed to the many comments on various threads crediting the boy with a marked improvement.

SMAXXA
19-08-2012, 08:06 PM
F sake.

How about just giving the guy a bit of credit for having a good start to the season?

Or would you just prefer he had a crap game week in week out so you can continue this pathetic charade of one upsmanship ?

You say that we all want out players to do well, but yet come on here with a bee in your bonnet about Spoony having a good game.

FYI, I wasn't there yesterday, but I get along to most home games when I'm no working. Usually in the FF lower.

That explains it, I sit in the west with my old man and hes playing right in front of me for one half at least.

Ive given my opinion on him which you know more than others as im normally quoting you and your inability to see him for the performances he has put in for hibs over the last couple of years which have been poor to useless in any footballing persons mind.

However, however like I said the last post without your comments "gie it a rest", I seen him the first 2 games of the season, utd *****, hearts mediocre and I didnt see the game yesterday other than the highlights. He did put a great ball over for the goal yesterday, he did have the assist against Hearts so from a clean slate perspective 2 assists out of 3 goals isnt bad at all so I give him credit for that and hope he grows from strength to strength.

That a fair balanced opinion without being accused of having an agenda against players such as another poster said about i had with hanlon?

SMAXXA
19-08-2012, 08:09 PM
I think part of the problem on here is that as soon as a player is branded as pish, there's no changing peoples minds. I seen some performances last season from the likes of Hanlon, Claros, Doyle, Spoony etc. that saw .netters slating them but personally thought they were far from the culprits.

I would consider our best starting XI to be Williams, Clancy, McPake, Hanlon, Maybury, Spoony, Claros, Deegan, Cairney, Griffiths and Doyle (could be overtaken by Kuqi once we see more of him) and to be honest, there are few positions there that feel particularly contentious. Spoony has become a starter on merit.

No ****, whats our other realistic options other then the team you have quoted that have not been beat the last 3 games? (Lewis aside for some part).

Not really difficult eh? As Fenlon says we are 2 or 3 short and I believe we need another couple of players and a real good right winger wouldnt go a miss IMO.

Northernhibee
19-08-2012, 08:18 PM
No ****, whats our other realistic options other then the team you have quoted that have not been beat the last 3 games? (Lewis aside for some part).

Not really difficult eh? As Fenlon says we are 2 or 3 short and I believe we need another couple of players and a real good right winger wouldnt go a miss IMO.

I fail to see your point. We have a small squad, that is our best team, we're both agreed on that. Wotherspoon has provided assists for 66.6% of our goals this season, that's fact, you can't argue with that.

Toys back in the pram now? :rolleyes:

SMAXXA
19-08-2012, 08:26 PM
I fail to see your point. We have a small squad, that is our best team, we're both agreed on that. Wotherspoon has provided assists for 66.6% of our goals this season, that's fact, you can't argue with that.

Toys back in the pram now? :rolleyes:

Mate I do statistics for a living and I know you can illustrate stats to a degree to illustrate the point you are trying to make, so your 66.6 stat doesnt mean nowt to me. ( I did acknowledge his assists if you read my previous post)

I could say 90% of your posts are pish but your last 2 have been spot on, how does stats work in that? It depends on how many post you have made eh :-)

All i was referring to is you quoted our best team which incedently was the one that won yest and nearly the one from last week, hardly inciteful?

Northernhibee
19-08-2012, 08:30 PM
Mate I do statistics for a living and I know you can illustrate stats to a degree to illustrate the point you are trying to make, so your 66.6 stat doesnt mean nowt to me. ( I did acknowledge his assists if you read my previous post)

I could say 90% of your posts are pish but your last 2 have been spot on, how does stats work in that? It depends on how many post you have made eh :-)

All i was referring to is you quoted our best team which incedently was the one that one yest and nearly the one from last week, hardly inciteful?

If you do statistics for a living, you'll surely notice the variable of the players around him.

As in decent players that offer Spoony a bit of space and time, and he's looked much better this season.

If you've not noticed, Claros looks much better with Deegan and Cairney in midfield too.

I'm not interested in what players have done for us in the past, I want players who can perform now and take us forward. Spoony has shown signs of that with two assists. What someone did two seasons ago does not win us points now or in the future. Get behind the team; the ones winning points right now.

SMAXXA
19-08-2012, 08:38 PM
If you do statistics for a living, you'll surely notice the variable of the players around him.

As in decent players that offer Spoony a bit of space and time, and he's looked much better this season.

If you've not noticed, Claros looks much better with Deegan and Cairney in midfield too.

I'm not interested in what players have done for us in the past, I want players who can perform now and take us forward. Spoony has shown signs of that with two assists. What someone did two seasons ago does not win us points now or in the future. Get behind the team; the ones winning points right now.

I am always behind the team pal, when I go to ER I never shout and criticise players as I know how hard it is to hear (Played at a decent level myself until recently).

what would be your mean / Mode / Median on Spoony then the last 20 outings lets say? I admit his last 2 games he has contributed much much more and im sure thats got everything to do with the players about him. I still dont belive he is as good as we can get at right mid and lets be honest thats the only place he will get a game now.

Northernhibee
19-08-2012, 08:44 PM
I am always behind the team pal, when I go to ER I never shout and criticise players as I know how hard it is to hear (Played at a decent level myself until recently).

what would be your mean / Mode / Median on Spoony then the last 20 outings lets say? I admit his last 2 games he has contributed much much more and im sure thats got everything to do with the players about him. I still dont belive he is as good as we can get at right mid and lets be honest thats the only place he will get a game now.

He'd be 2nd or 3rd choice RB and also would be decent playing just off the front two as he's done before.

For someone who is always behind the team, you seem to be awfully good at panning players who have been showing big improvements recently. Good job. Together we are stronger and all that. :rolleyes:

Liams
19-08-2012, 08:50 PM
GOD! How high are some of your standards for hibs, seriously think most of you's expect our players to be messy, Spoony is a young head playing in a team that havnt been the best since his first season at the club, bare in mind he hasnt been playing in his normal scotland posistion until recently. He has assisted 2 goals in 2weeks and created a few chances, but that isnt enough for some folk.

Shrekko
19-08-2012, 08:52 PM

If you're telling us Lewis still has room for develoment then I'm excited! Reading your recent posts you'd think we've already had a cross between Makalele and Zidane in our ranks.

To be fair, most players will look better with better players around them but I'm still sceptical as to whether that means any of our midfielders from last season are good enough for the road ahead.

As for Wotherspoon, I really feel sorry for the boy as (unlike Lewis) I don't think he'll ever have the patience of the fans and a player of his type needs to be able to play with freedom and without the tension that having your own fans on your back brings. Don't get me wrong- he's been unbelievably frustrating to watch but you still know there's something in there!

SMAXXA
19-08-2012, 08:55 PM
He'd be 2nd or 3rd choice RB and also would be decent playing just off the front two as he's done before.

For someone who is always behind the team, you seem to be awfully good at panning players who have been showing big improvements recently. Good job. Together we are stronger and all that. :rolleyes:

Improvements yes, big improvements no. Ive seen so many mediocre players in the last 7 to 8 yeras at Hibs and I guess I have less a tollerence than some. If Booth doesnt get a game this season you will be on here saying how good he is and hes got so much more to give next year with nothing to base it on.

Northernhibee
19-08-2012, 09:20 PM
Improvements yes, big improvements no. Ive seen so many mediocre players in the last 7 to 8 yeras at Hibs and I guess I have less a tollerence than some. If Booth doesnt get a game this season you will be on here saying how good he is and hes got so much more to give next year with nothing to base it on.

Do you even understand the words that come out of your own mouth?

I have two assists in two games to base Wotherspoon's improvement on. We're not talking about Callum Booth.

Jonnyboy
19-08-2012, 10:28 PM

Actually, the best place to judge how a player has performed is at the match he's being marked for and not on a messageboard where people often allow their preconceived ideas to influence their mark.

500miles
20-08-2012, 02:25 AM
If you're telling us Lewis still has room for develoment then I'm excited! Reading your recent posts you'd think we've already had a cross between Makalele and Zidane in our ranks.

To be fair, most players will look better with better players around them but I'm still sceptical as to whether that means any of our midfielders from last season are good enough for the road ahead.

As for Wotherspoon, I really feel sorry for the boy as (unlike Lewis) I don't think he'll ever have the patience of the fans and a player of his type needs to be able to play with freedom and without the tension that having your own fans on your back brings. Don't get me wrong- he's been unbelievably frustrating to watch but you still know there's something in there!

I have no idea how you make the jump from a comparison - in terms of development - with Robson, to Makalele and Zidane. I think Lewis is a good passer of the ball, who retains the ball well with simple "pass and move", is capable of excellent long passing, is unafraid of a tackle, and works very very hard. I think his fundemental skills are probably some of the best at the club, but he lacks the character to get it out of himself, and would hope that the current set-up could change that.

It's not just a case of players looking better with better players around them, it's a case of players learning, and becoming better with better players around them. Would have Garry O'Connor been as good without the likes of Brewster? Did playing with the likes of Beuzelin and Glass not benefit Thomson and Brown? They may not have played together, but Sauzee, Latapy, Zitelli and Mixu were all influences on the Golden Generation who happened to be cleaning the first team boots. But more importantly than being quality players, they had a genuine desire to win.

There's an excellent bit of footage on Youtube with Pat Nevin, Zola and Frank Lampard, talking about players development, talking about young players playing in a competative team. The problem with Hibs is, we've not had a "competative" team since Mixu left. We had a technically good team where we managed to pick up enough points before the going got tough, to get us into Europe. We had a flurry of stop-gap signings, players who didn't care and a lack of desire when C.C. was manager. Players don't develop in that sort of environment. We seem to have that now, and that'll see us get more out of any player -Stevenson, Wotherspoon, Booth - who's potential has gone, thus far, unfulfilled.

Shrekko
20-08-2012, 02:44 AM
I think you make a lot of valid points 500miles, particularly that you bring up the fact that Stevenson (and let's face it, a few others) lacks charachter. I'm a firm believer that this is a characteristic that's difficult to develop.

Brown, Thomson, Fletcher, Whittaker, O'Connor all had charachter, much as the environment they were brought up in was better for their development, I think they all had a natural swagger about them that separated them from other players. They all had trials and tribulations in their early careers but came through them no problem.

I don't think you can play down what a huge flaw that is in a player (to not have charachter) and it can be as important as footballing ability. You just can't trust our current youngish guys to perform when it matters or to even be a presence on the park. How long do we wait? What hurt most about the cup final and other derbies was watching players like Ian Black who probably didn't have much more footballing ability than the likes of Stevenson strutting around like he owned the park. Our boys need to grab the nettle quickly. It's absolutely criminal to have ability to do something but not because you're scared and just take the easy option- square balls etc.

The Voice Of Reason
20-08-2012, 07:55 AM
Actually, the best place to judge how a player has performed is at the match he's being marked for and not on a messageboard where people often allow their preconceived ideas to influence their mark.

Yes agreed.

As I stated, if I haven't been to a game myself I find the Player Ratings Threads invaluable, as the marks there are posted by real Hibs fans (like yourself Jonnyboy) who have actually been to the match.

I think most fans are sensible enough to post accurate ratings based on how the player has actually performed in that match (and not based on preconceived ideas).

To get back to the point of the discussion, if you care to look back at Wotherspoon's marks in previous Player Ratings threads the results sadly speak for themself. Fans then make comment on how poor he has been and they are lambasted by people who think there is some sort of witchhunt going on (or people who's username has "Wotherspoon" in it !

DW seemed to play better on Saturday and his pass for the first goal was brilliant. Hope he keeps it up.

Jonnyboy
20-08-2012, 07:38 PM
Yes agreed.

As I stated, if I haven't been to a game myself I find the Player Ratings Threads invaluable, as the marks there are posted by real Hibs fans (like yourself Jonnyboy) who have actually been to the match.

I think most fans are sensible enough to post accurate ratings based on how the player has actually performed in that match (and not based on preconceived ideas).

To get back to the point of the discussion, if you care to look back at Wotherspoon's marks in previous Player Ratings threads the results sadly speak for themself. Fans then make comment on how poor he has been and they are lambasted by people who think there is some sort of witchhunt going on (or people who's username has "Wotherspoon" in it !

DW seemed to play better on Saturday and his pass for the first goal was brilliant. Hope he keeps it up.

I'd like to agree re the sensible posts but if you read the players ratings v St Mirren thread you've as many saying Claros was mince as there are saying he had a fine game! Which are the sensible ones? :wink:

I take your point re Spoony and would add that the same applies re Lewis whom I tend to defend because although I'm the first to admit he's no world beater and we need better in our team I feel he gets talked down unfairly when in fact he's played quite well. One example I read recently was that his pass to Spoony in the Hearts game, that led to our goal, was a speculative lob that could have gone anywhere. The highlights confirm he looked up and saw Spoony free and then hit a pass that neither fell short nor went long. It was well executed and arrived right at Spoony's feet but, because some folk have decided he's ******, it was lucky. That's why I defend Lewis and why some defend Spoony I reckon. Poor Lewis gets it tight. We even had it suggested that he'd been hooked in the Hearts game because Fenlon clearly thought he was ******. He had a broken toe and had been limping before going off. Clearly injured but that's not as juicy as having a go at the laddie.

Anyway, rant over and please be assured it was not aimed at you :greengrin Just me venting my spleen

Johnny_Leith
20-08-2012, 10:32 PM
Anyone ever notice spoony is in 'The Town'? Dead ringer!

Hibiza
22-08-2012, 12:12 PM
i gave woody stick but hes done well recently. well done.

Hibs7
22-08-2012, 12:18 PM
Read the report in the Scotsman by Pat Stanton, a man who knows a footballer when he see's one.

shetlandhibee
22-08-2012, 09:40 PM
Gd young player with a great eye for long and short range passes. He also pulls off some fantastic shots out of no-where :thumbsup:

GGTTH!!:brokenyam::nade:

jacomo
23-08-2012, 09:46 AM
Read the report in the Scotsman by Pat Stanton, a man who knows a footballer when he see's one.

Here's the link:

http://www.scotsman.com/edinburgh-evening-news/football/hibs/pat-stanton-wants-david-wotherspoon-to-be-afforded-continuity-1-2481640

Decent piece, although I disagree that Wotherspoon should take on leadership responsibilities in the team. Leave that to Captain James and more senior players... like Lewis, DW doesn't seem like a natural talker and so I think he should just focus on his own game.

Wotherspiniesta
23-08-2012, 11:56 AM
So, club legend Pat Stanton thinks Wotherspoon's a player?

High praise for the young lad :aok:

JimBHibees
23-08-2012, 11:59 AM
So, club legend Pat Stanton thinks Wotherspoon's a player?

High praise for the young lad :aok:

What does he know? :greengrin

Wotherspiniesta
23-08-2012, 12:03 PM
What does he know? :greengrin

Exactly.

Does he even go to games? :confused: :greengrin