PDA

View Full Version : Saints sign Beattie

Hainan Hibs
10-08-2012, 02:00 PM
Why did we miss out on yet another solid SPL pro?:confused:

:greengrin

YehButNoBut
10-08-2012, 02:04 PM
Decent players just don't seem to want to come to ER these days, wish I know why. :dunno:

Franck Stanton
10-08-2012, 02:07 PM
Dont know if we were after him, [imo should have been, just what we are lacking]. IF we were after him, just shows how low in players estimation the Club has fallen to when they would rather sign for St J than us. Not saying they are bad but, lets face facts we should be a bigger Club, given size support, facilities etc etc than St Johnston. Sad days.

lord bunberry
10-08-2012, 02:07 PM
I presume we made no attempt to sign him

S4uzee
10-08-2012, 02:09 PM
St. Johnstone are putting a good team together and a very good forward line and who do they play in a couple of weeks .............

Pretty Boy
10-08-2012, 02:10 PM
Is Beattie signing for St Johnstone confirmed?

Last I read was the BBC saying a deal was close but another SPL club had made a late offer.

Edit: just had a look, seems it is confirmed. Disappointed but not sure we were ever in for him. Hopefully because we have someone else lined up.

GreenCastle
10-08-2012, 02:11 PM
I am more surprised he didn't re-sign with the yams. Btw did they ever pay him :confused:

Anyway this summer has seen some very strange transfer moves and that includes all those players going to Sevco.

Changed days in football - small amount of loyalty and all about the money.

Regarding St Johnstone did they not cut costs on youth teams just to support the 1st team ?

I wonder how many season tickets they have sold also :rolleyes:

GordonHFC
10-08-2012, 02:11 PM
I presume we made no attempt to sign him

I wouldn't make any such presumptions with our board.

Judas Iscariot
10-08-2012, 02:15 PM

Last I read was the BBC saying a deal was close but another SPL club had made a late offer.

Edit: just had a look, seems it is confirmed. Disappointed but not sure we were ever in for him. Hopefully because we have someone else lined up.

I hope you're correct Stu but after suffering so many kicks in the teeth lately re Hibs I just cannae see it..

Well, we may possibly have someone lined up but are they as good or better than Beattie?!

blackpoolhibs
10-08-2012, 02:24 PM
We must have someone the managers thinks better lined up?

HibbyAndy
10-08-2012, 02:25 PM
A battering ram and a bully hard faced ****.He was EXACTLY the striker we needed at easter rd, I hope we weren't in for him and have some other ugly brute of a striker lined up, Cause we sure as hell cant go with Griffiths ,Doyle and Caldwell.

Beattie is exactly the type of player we need.

LeighLoyal
10-08-2012, 02:25 PM
I hope you're correct Stu but after suffering so many kicks in the teeth lately re Hibs I just cannae see it..

Well, we may possibly have someone lined up but are they as good or better than Beattie?!

Petrie in talks to bring back Tam McManus maybe? Fan favourite. :flag:

S4uzee
10-08-2012, 02:26 PM

You would like to think although he is a 'character' that pat might have liked

SlickShoes
10-08-2012, 02:28 PM
Many players don't want to play for hibs, if you can't understand why then you must not have been around for the last 5 years.

NorthNorfolkHFC
10-08-2012, 02:28 PM
How we are not pushing the boat out to sign him is mental.

Can't wait to see who he has lined up instead of him.

500miles
10-08-2012, 02:29 PM

I would hope to sign someone who plays more often than Beattie.

blaikie
10-08-2012, 02:29 PM
Injury prone, Wouldn't be worth the wage! Better players out there :agree:

Tricla
10-08-2012, 02:31 PM

Where does it say it's confirmed? BBC saying its close but not confirmed and there is another SPL club interested.

Maybe us?

Scouse Hibee
10-08-2012, 02:33 PM
Another player we have missed out on, didn't try to sign, didn't offer enough or just didn't want to come, someone on here must know they always do :rolleyes:

Too injury prone for my liking for us to pin our hopes on him.

happiehibbie
http://www.perthstjohnstonefc.co.uk/newsitemsdetail.php?param=2144

confirmed her if he passes medicail

scott7_0(Prague)
Where does it say it's confirmed? BBC saying its close but not confirmed and there is another SPL club interested.

Maybe us?

Probably too little to late.

Saints have agreed terms with Beattie and a deal could be concluded on Friday afternoon with the Perth outfit.

But BBC Scotland has also learned that another Scottish Premier League club are weighing up an offer.

IFONLY
10-08-2012, 02:36 PM

There might well be but we wont sign them!!!!!!

woodythehibee
10-08-2012, 02:37 PM
Hibs have not missed out on him as we did not offer him anything in the first place. Simple!!

NorthNorfolkHFC
10-08-2012, 02:38 PM
Signed now!

Aldo
10-08-2012, 02:38 PM

I take it this is sarcasm cos Beattie is exactly the type of player required at the club at the moment. Of course there are players better than him out there but we'll out with our budget!!

Persevere80
10-08-2012, 02:43 PM
Not posted for a while but had to log on to say how dissapointed i am at us missing out on a player of his quality, a free agent, and plays in a possition that we need to fill. I hope as other people have said that we have better lined up.

Aldo
10-08-2012, 02:45 PM
Very good signing for St J IMHO.

Elephant Stone
10-08-2012, 02:47 PM
Trying to stay as positive as possible but this just seems like another opportunity missed. Available for free and happy to take a wage St Johnstone can manage. Disappointing.

HFC 0-7
10-08-2012, 02:51 PM
He is injury prone and with the squad already short, Fenlon maybe didnt want to take the chance.

Franck Stanton
10-08-2012, 02:53 PM
Another player we have missed out on, didn't try to sign, didn't offer enough or just didn't want to come, someone on here must know they always do :rolleyes:

Too injury prone for my liking for us to pin our hopes on him.

Scouse, take it you are happy with the euro draw v Them ? [sorry folks for going off - topic].

greenlex
10-08-2012, 03:00 PM
Can someone please take the time to explain why he is exactly the type of player we need? I just don't see it to be honest.

Scouse Hibee
10-08-2012, 03:02 PM
Can someone please take the time to explain why he is exactly the type of player we need? I just don't see it to be honest.

:agree: More importantly neither does PF!

marinello59
10-08-2012, 03:03 PM

i'll give it a bash.
Is it because he signed for somebody else?:greengrin

RickyS
10-08-2012, 03:05 PM

someone who can pass to a green jersey 10yards away?

Hibtastic
10-08-2012, 03:06 PM
has it crossed any of your minds that PF might have someone else in mind for this position. Just because there are no rumours, doesnt mean there are no irons in the fire. Perhaps Hibs are just doing things in a professional way rather than shooting their mouths off before things are confirmed a la Aberdeen!!

Part/Time Supporter
10-08-2012, 03:08 PM
Looks like neither the new Huns or Yams have pushed the boat out to sign Beattie, both made offers that he turned down. Probably to do with his injury record. Still slightly surprised that Hibs didn't offer something (or so it appears).

cabbageandribs1875
10-08-2012, 03:09 PM
i wish i could get £5 for each time posters on here say about dozens of players "he's exactly the type of player we need" :cb

greenlex
10-08-2012, 03:15 PM
Thirty odd goals in nine years with neat half them fir Celtic at the start.
1 penalty fir the Yams and a silly celebration and he's exact what we need? Jeez.

blaikie
10-08-2012, 03:19 PM
I take it this is sarcasm cos Beattie is exactly the type of player required at the club at the moment. Of course there are players better than him out there but we'll out with our budget!!

An Injury prone striker isn't exactly what we need right now, We need someone that's going to play 40 games a season and be a focal point in the team is what we need. Jon Daly would be ideal! But that won't happen, if we were in for Beattie no great loss.

sbell1875
10-08-2012, 04:21 PM
I don't want us signing any player just for the sake of it especially if they aren't up to scratch quality or fitness wise but Beattie wouldn't have been a bad signing. We are seriously under strength up front for Sunday and with Zaliukas & Webster still in the Hearts defence and with our apparent tactics on Sunday to be long ball to Griffiths I fear another day of no goal threat whatsoever.

It pains me to say this but I genuinely fear for us on Sunday. May 19th was one of the worst days of my adult life and Sunday could rank up there as well.

Aldo
10-08-2012, 04:47 PM
An Injury prone striker isn't exactly what we need right now, We need someone that's going to play 40 games a season and be a focal point in the team is what we need. Jon Daly would be ideal! But that won't happen, if we were in for Beattie no great loss.

Point taken dude and totally agree re Daly

Thecat23
10-08-2012, 04:56 PM

Very good header of the ball, holds it up well, very hard to play against for a CH. But hey, Hibs don't need that... Or we have "someone better lined up". Some of the posts in here are laughable. Good players are avoiding us like the plague.

DH1875
10-08-2012, 04:58 PM

Just so long as it isn't Sheridan.

Thecat23
10-08-2012, 04:59 PM

We signed an injury probe defender!!! We all were delighted with that. I bet if Beattie had signed most of you lot would have been very happy. Him and Leigh up front would have been very good.

blaikie
10-08-2012, 05:22 PM
We signed an injury probe defender!!! We all were delighted with that. I bet if Beattie had signed most of you lot would have been very happy. Him and Leigh up front would have been very good.

Goals win games!

That's why we need a guy up front who can hold the ball up score goals and stay fit and play at least 80% of the time, Maybury brings experience to a backline with no confidence. If he doesn't play every week we have other options at right back who can hopefully learn from him.

Ray_
10-08-2012, 05:23 PM
has it crossed any of your minds that PF might have someone else in mind for this position. Just because there are no rumours, doesnt mean there are no irons in the fire. Perhaps Hibs are just doing things in a professional way rather than shooting their mouths off before things are confirmed a la Aberdeen!!

:rotflmao: Yet again starting a season seriously wanting, professional my ass!

Thecat23
10-08-2012, 05:31 PM
Goals win games!

That's why we need a guy up front who can hold the ball up score goals and stay fit and play at least 80% of the time, Maybury brings experience to a backline with no confidence. If he doesn't play every week we have other options at right back who can hopefully learn from him.

Ok how about you come back when the window closes then and tell me I'm right when we haven't signed a striker. Or will you tell me Beattie is worse than no one at all?

We don't know his fitness at all bit I bet he plays 80% of games at Saints. He would be a great strike partner for Leigh. He does hold the ball up well. It's not all about scoring when we already have a player like leigh. We need someone Leigh can feed off and Beattie HAS always been a good strike partner.

hibeesjoe
10-08-2012, 05:45 PM
Well if @AgentScotland on twitter is too be believed then it was Aberdeen that was the other spl team interested in signing Beattie.

IFONLY
10-08-2012, 05:53 PM
Very good header of the ball, holds it up well, very hard to play against for a CH. But hey, Hibs don't need that... Or we have "someone better lined up". Some of the posts in here are laughable. Good players are avoiding us like the plague.
and you know this how???? How many players have we been in for????

sesoim
10-08-2012, 06:06 PM
I'd be disappointed if we didn't at least enquire about Beattie. I doubt St J could be paying him much. I know he has had injury problems but, frankly, if he is willing to accept a St J level wage, he would have been worth the gamble for a season. And anyway, we need to sign TWO strikers, not just one.

Anyway. I'm sure Fenlon has a better striker lined up. It's not like there is any hurry :rolleyes:.

Hearts' defenders must be quaking in their boots after watching our goal threat against Dundee Utd.

Thecat23
10-08-2012, 06:11 PM

I know Hayes didn't want to come anywhere near us and not because his GF is studying in Aberdeen.

blaikie
10-08-2012, 06:13 PM
Ok how about you come back when the window closes then and tell me I'm right when we haven't signed a striker. Or will you tell me Beattie is worse than no one at all?

We don't know his fitness at all bit I bet he plays 80% of games at Saints. He would be a great strike partner for Leigh. He does hold the ball up well. It's not all about scoring when we already have a player like leigh. We need someone Leigh can feed off and Beattie HAS always been a good strike partner.

→ Preston North End (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preston_North_End_F.C.) (loan)
(0)

→ Crystal Palace (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_Palace_F.C.) (loan)
(5)

→ Sheffield United (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield_United_F.C.) (loan)
(1)

2009–2012
Swansea City (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swansea_City_A.F.C.)
(7)

→ Watford (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watford_F.C.) (loan)
(1)

Heart of Midlothian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_of_Midlothian_F.C.)
(1)

Hardly a player you can depend on to play every week, When fit he is a class act I wont argue that but to pay high wages for a bit part player is not the best policy to do business, I have faith in Fenlon that we will sign somebody of decent quality, There is still business to be done lets just wait and see!

:pfgwa

Thecat23
10-08-2012, 06:17 PM
→ Preston North End (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preston_North_End_F.C.) (loan)
(0)

(5)

(1)

2009–2012
(7)

(1)

(1)

Hardly a player you can depend on to play every week, When fit he is a class act I wont argue that but to pay high wages for a bit part player is not the best policy to do business, I have faith in Fenlon that we will sign somebody of decent quality, There is still business to be done lets just wait and see!

Fully agree I wouldn't be paying out a high wage. But Saints don't pay high wages. Hibs could fully compete (I hope) if Pat does have someone else and is of a better quality I'll fully apologise. But I don't believe he will.

blaikie
10-08-2012, 06:24 PM
Fully agree I wouldn't be paying out a high wage. But Saints don't pay high wages. Hibs could fully compete (I hope) if Pat does have someone else and is of a better quality I'll fully apologise. But I don't believe he will.

From what I've heard he knocked back a decent rangers offer for more money, Still must be less than St Johnstone? Unless there living in yam land? Signings like Vine and Sandaza last year couldn't have been cheap options.

cad
10-08-2012, 06:28 PM
I know Hayes didn't want to come anywhere near us and not because his GF is studying in Aberdeen.

OK mate why ???

Iggy Pope
10-08-2012, 06:52 PM
(0)

(5)

(1)

2009–2012
(7)

(1)

(1)

Agree with most of that but painfully, I can think of more than one goal for the sparryheids.

Barney McGrew
10-08-2012, 06:59 PM
Beattie started six games for Hertz last season.

Given that money is tight, I'd rather we spent ours on the wages of a player that might make it onto the park a bit more regularly.

Thecat23
10-08-2012, 07:04 PM
OK mate why ???

Because he thinks Aberdeen is a better option for him football wise and didn't think moving to Hibs will help him progress.

greenlex
10-08-2012, 07:06 PM

Disagree on all counts. If he really was exactly what we need he would have had a far more settled career. I think he is a very average journeyman pro who has done very little since leaving Celtic to chase the big buck. I dont think as a club or a team we need him or anyone like him.

VickMackie
10-08-2012, 07:10 PM
Why would we push the boat out for a striker who probably revelled in us gettin beat in may?

Whilst I think he'd be a good signing in not bothered if he goes elsewhere.

truehibernian
10-08-2012, 07:18 PM
Because he thinks Aberdeen is a better option for him football wise and didn't think moving to Hibs will help him progress.

Sad if that is the case mate, but I have also heard that JH likes the nightlife.......not saying I wouldn't like a player like him at Hibs, but perhaps news travelled that PF keeps his ear to the ground with that sort of thing. Who knows. His partner not willing to uproot must have had a bearing though.

I just hope that your mates opinion on Mark Kerr is followed and he isn't our next signing :wink: you can tell him that only Alex Keddie surpasses David Stephens for 'worst defender in the SPL' category :greengrin

Thecat23
10-08-2012, 07:47 PM
Sad if that is the case mate, but I have also heard that JH likes the nightlife.......not saying I wouldn't like a player like him at Hibs, but perhaps news travelled that PF keeps his ear to the ground with that sort of thing. Who knows. His partner not willing to uproot must have had a bearing though.

I just hope that your mates opinion on Mark Kerr is followed and he isn't our next signing :wink: you can tell him that only Alex Keddie surpasses David Stephens for 'worst defender in the SPL' category :greengrin

Yeah I've heard he does like a night on the lash as well. If that's the case then long term it may be good he never came. Will never know though.

I'm with you.. If Mark Kerr signs for us I'll be very disappointed mate. Seen him a few times and is not what we need. Lacks basics.

Haha I'll pass that on :D

truehibernian
10-08-2012, 07:58 PM
Yeah I've heard he does like a night on the lash as well. If that's the case then long term it may be good he never came. Will never know though.

I'm with you.. If Mark Kerr signs for us I'll be very disappointed mate. Seen him a few times and is not what we need. Lacks basics.

Haha I'll pass that on :D

And I hope he is enjoying his retirement :agree:

I admit to getting a little excited when Craig Forsyth's name was mentioned last week but that seems to have cooled.......good good player and would give good balance and height to the left side of midfield. I'd even take that big lump Iwelumo if the pair wanted to share a lift.

I'm with you though mate.....if the likes of Beattie (who I was cynical about until I saw him at Tynie v St Mirren when he arrived) was available theh he would fit the bill for the kind of striker to play alongside Leigh and Eoin Doyle.

JohnStephens91
10-08-2012, 08:01 PM
Overweight injury prone striker? Nah, I'd rather have someone else.

PatHead
10-08-2012, 08:05 PM
Must admit I was disappointed when I saw he had signed for St Johnstone, however, on reflection I feel we need a player who will remain fit throughout the season. Now that the defence has tightened up on paper a target man is the main need. Leigh will get us goals if he gets the service.

S.sct
10-08-2012, 09:00 PM
The Rangers blanked him for a reason and he's probably signed for Saints for a song....Sounds like he's got real fitness issues, good player but no thanks.

S4uzee
10-08-2012, 09:08 PM
Don't know if mentioned but Agent Scotland saying that hibs rejected the chance to sign beattie

JohnStephens91
10-08-2012, 09:10 PM
Don't know if mentioned but Agent Scotland saying that hibs rejected the chance to sign beattie

How often is he right? I'd guess about 10%?

goosefat
10-08-2012, 09:20 PM
I was never 100% convinced on this one.

The more I think about the more I feel that SJ have signed a 'name' rather than reliable and fit player.

As always, time will tell, but I don't think we've missed a huge opportunity in not signing him.

Or maybe we have.

Or maybe not.

:dunno:

jdships
10-08-2012, 10:13 PM
I was never 100% convinced on this one.

The more I think about the more I feel that SJ have signed a 'name' rather than reliable and fit player.

As always, time will tell, but I don't think we've missed a huge opportunity in not signing him.

Or maybe we have.

Or maybe not.

:dunno:

Me neither !!
Understand he is not certain to play more than one game in three as it stands .
If that is correct then what would be the point of Hibs signing him .
As you say time will tell
:rolleyes:

DH1875
10-08-2012, 10:16 PM

Have you seen our squad? PF a side, if we're not in for half these players, someone isn't doing their job.

Kaiser1962
11-08-2012, 07:56 AM

That would seem strange as Aberdeen are probably the only club that are performing, pound for pound, worse than Hibs.