Surprising, really.

Twa Cairpets
10-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Confirmed via official text.

Surprising, really.

Oh I don't know, text is quite a modern method of communication

Rivers Cuomo
10-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Will turn out to be a solid signing i think, even though not many will agree.

Pretty Boy
10-08-2012, 01:58 PM
Happy enough with that, get him right into the squad for Sunday.

Twiglet
10-08-2012, 01:59 PM
Is he able to play on sunday?

IFONLY
10-08-2012, 02:00 PM

Yes

Baldy Foghorn
10-08-2012, 02:00 PM
Confirmed via official text.

Surprising, really.

No danger Matty, PF is being punted don't you know??:wink:

scoopyboy
10-08-2012, 02:01 PM

Should be in time.

He's not under contract so its not as if papers have to be passed on from one club to another.

deegan was different.

rcarter1
10-08-2012, 02:01 PM
Delighted to hear this. Surely allows a Stephens free defence....

JHFC
10-08-2012, 02:02 PM
Pretty happy, would rather him over Stephens!

blaikie
10-08-2012, 02:03 PM
Oh I don't know, text is quite a modern method of communication

Fantastic news! We really need a right back move Clancy in the middle of the defence :agree:

Franck Stanton
It certainly took Hibs/Fenlon long enough to conclude this, personally think it is a good move, will [hopefully] mean that huddie Stephens will be dropped, Hanlon teaming up with McPake in centre, or even Clancy inb there with Maybury at r/b . Not the best player in the world, but hey, if he was he wouldn't be with us now would he. Welcome to the Hibs Alan.

Brooster
Delighted to hear this. Surely allows a Stephens free defence....

I hope so. A back four of Clancy McPake Hanlon and Maybury looks stronger than last weeks.

scoopyboy
Fantastic news! We really need a right back move Clancy in the middle of the defence :agree:

I think more likely he will move PH to centre and play AM left back.

R'Albin
10-08-2012, 02:10 PM
Welcome Alan, a hell of a lot more confident with:

Maybury, Hanlon, McPake, Clancy than.. Hanlon, Stephens, McPake, Clancy for Sunday. No Stephens and Hanlon getting played in his proper position.

hibIBZ
10-08-2012, 02:11 PM
signing maybury is not going to get me excited im sorry to say, only positive is hopefully we wont see david stephens on sunday

scott7_0(Prague)
10-08-2012, 02:14 PM
A solid pro who has been around decent leagues and clubs, hopefully he does better than the last solid pro we had in the full back position AKA Mr Michael Hart.

Northernhibee
10-08-2012, 02:20 PM
Stronger defence and midfield for Sunday. Good news.

HFC 0-7
10-08-2012, 02:38 PM
I am pretty pleased about this to be honest. someone we know has played in the SPL recently and is decent. Lets face it, a few season ago we maybe looked for more than decent, but decent is a step up from where we are now. It gives us a platform to build on. Only gripe would be its only a short term contract so we are kind of extending the re building job. Happy about it though.

lucky
10-08-2012, 02:40 PM
Solid signing but not a bums on seat one. He will improve our ***** defence. Hopefully never see Stephens in the first team again

Aldo
10-08-2012, 02:40 PM
Back line for me on Sunday

Williams
Clancy McPake Hanlon Maybury

matty_f
10-08-2012, 02:51 PM

It's not just that Baldy, but Maybury's actually seen the training and still signed!! Mental!

Craig_in_Prague
10-08-2012, 02:54 PM

Williams
Clancy McPake Hanlon Maybury

Looks better indeed.

Fingers crossed Deegan adds a lot to the midfield.. where we are awful.

JimBHibees
10-08-2012, 02:59 PM
Good solid signing hopefully improve the team and can use his decent experience.

Scouse Hibee
10-08-2012, 03:01 PM
Happy with this, unlike Hart, Maybury looks to still have something to offer.

ALF TUPPER
10-08-2012, 03:22 PM
Happy with this . Solid experienced pro in defence .... Needed for defo.

shadyhibs
10-08-2012, 03:23 PM
was feelin totally pissed of regarding hibs and am afraid even more so with this signing

Bayern Bru
10-08-2012, 03:39 PM
Maybury was a solid performer on the pre-season tour.

Except when, for some inexplicable reason, PF deployed him in central midfield for an hour against Leuven. :confused:

Decent signing who'll shore up the defence. I hope.

Franck Stanton
10-08-2012, 03:40 PM
Apart from the age thing, don't understand posters compairing harte and Maybury. Harte's game was based on his turn of speed which he used to cover up his defencive frailties, ie being caout of position, whereas, Maybury has never relied on speed only his positional sence and ability to tackle which, imo make him a far better defender.

Heisenberg
10-08-2012, 03:41 PM
Should offer us a bit of stability as he's a solid enough full back who should allow either Clancy/Hanlon to move into the middle beside Mcpake.

jacomo
10-08-2012, 03:43 PM
Maybury was a solid performer on the pre-season tour.

Except when, for some inexplicable reason, PF deployed him in central midfield for an hour against Leuven. :confused:

Decent signing who'll shore up the defence. I hope.

Umm... isn't this part of the reason for pre-season games??

Gaffer: "Ken you're a defender, but could you do a job in midfield?"

Trialist: "Er, no played there much, will give a go."

Gaffer: "Nope, you're a defender."

It's worth giving some things a go, no?

HibbyAndy
10-08-2012, 03:49 PM
Decent enough signing, Nowt flashy just a steady eddie player, Get him on Templeton on Sunday cause he will rip hibs to bits at every opportunity along with firing crosses into the box at every giving chance.

LancsHibs
10-08-2012, 03:51 PM
Welcome to Hibs Alan, should bring a bit of stability to our defence:aok:

whiskyhibby
10-08-2012, 03:55 PM
Just what needed IMHO

Saorsa
10-08-2012, 03:57 PM

Williams
Clancy McPake Hanlon Maybury:agree:

welcome tae Hibs Alan :thumbsup: and good luck, you'll need it

SaulGoodman
10-08-2012, 04:01 PM
was feelin totally pissed of regarding hibs and am afraid even more so with this signing

Messi and Ronaldo were both outside our budgets, unfortunately.

IWasThere2016
10-08-2012, 04:10 PM

Probs why its another 1 year deal :wink:

Welcome Alan.

Dinkydoo
10-08-2012, 04:44 PM
Happy with this if it means Stephens isn't going to be near the first team in Sunday.

Starting to feel more confident about the derby now. We have a better side than last season and the yams have weakened.

GGTTH.

Aldo
10-08-2012, 04:50 PM
Happy with this if it means Stephens isn't going to be near the first team in Sunday.

Starting to feel more confident about the derby now. We have a better side than last season and the yams have weakened.

GGTTH.

Dinky really do hope yur right and AM is played at left back, thus allowing Hanlon to step inside.

I fear that AM may be played in MF

Dinkydoo
10-08-2012, 04:55 PM
Dinky really do hope yur right and AM is played at left back, thus allowing Hanlon to step inside.

Don't say that!

*smile fades*
*puts beer back into fridge*

Leishy1995
10-08-2012, 04:59 PM
A solid defender signed? Hibs must be on drugs. Maybe a cheeky striker and we'll be laughing

Thecat23
10-08-2012, 05:00 PM
Welcome to Hibs Alan.

PeterboroHibee
10-08-2012, 05:08 PM

I hope not!

Happy with this signing though, and personally hope hes in at RB with Clancy moved in one.

Franck Stanton
10-08-2012, 05:12 PM

GGTTH.

Agree, just down to formations and players confidence. We are certainly capable of beating them on Sunday, defence is stronger and has a better balance to it, IF Deegan lives up to the hype surrounding him we now have a bit of steel in our midfield whilst they on the other hand, whilst still having a strong starting 11 - [especially central defence and both wings], have been weakened by the players lost [ Black, {spit}, Skatchel, Beatie], IF we turn up this time then we are well capable of taking all three points.

Looking beyond Sunday, still need to get a decent "Target Man" up front, a decent winger and if I am being greedy, another c/midfield player before window shuts , then, we would be in good state for rest of season. C'Mon Hibs, we can win this one.

Famous5forever
10-08-2012, 05:41 PM
Agree, just down to formations and players confidence. We are certainly capable of beating them on Sunday, defence is stronger and has a better balance to it, IF Deegan lives up to the hype surrounding him we now have a bit of steel in our midfield whilst they on the other hand, whilst still having a strong starting 11 - [especially central defence and both wings], have been weakened by the players lost [ Black, {spit}, Skatchel, Beatie], IF we turn up this time then we are well capable of taking all three points.

Looking beyond Sunday, still need to get a decent "Target Man" up front, a decent winger and if I am being greedy, another c/midfield player before window shuts , then, we would be in good state for rest of season. C'Mon Hibs, we can win this one.

I Thought the same before the Cup Final but after last weeks performance i do not share your optimism TBO Id take a nil nil draw right now and be done with it.

NAE NOOKIE
10-08-2012, 05:48 PM
Good luck Alan.

R'Albin
10-08-2012, 06:36 PM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20120810/maybury-joins-hibernian_2262950_2877512

matty_f
10-08-2012, 06:49 PM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20120810/maybury-joins-hibernian_2262950_2877512

Good to see he's found the last five weeks have been really enjoyable, and that he was happy to sign having experienced first hand the manager's tactics and training.

CraigHibee
10-08-2012, 07:04 PM
as much as this isn't the "big signing" we are all looking for, i'm with others in the belief that he will add something decent to the defence and hopefully a step in the right direction.

it is painfully clear we need a few more signings but if we get them or not will be a different story.

however.

welcome aboard Mr Maybury :flag:

Eyrie
10-08-2012, 07:13 PM
Good to see he's found the last five weeks have been really enjoyable, and that he was happy to sign having experienced first hand the manager's tactics and training.

McPake and Griffiths took the same view of Fenlon.

Think Maybury is a decent signing for us, and I wish him well.

PeterboroHibee
10-08-2012, 07:23 PM
as much as this isn't the "big signing" we are all looking for, i'm with others in the belief that he will add something decent to the defence and hopefully a step in the right direction.

it is painfully clear we need a few more signings but if we get them or not will be a different story.

however.

welcome aboard Mr Maybury :flag:

I dont know how Fenlons planning on setting us up with another couple of new additions in, but for the first time in a while, we have arguably looked to try and build a strong base before signing other players. Hypothetically we could set up something like -

Williams
Maybury Clancy McPake Hanlon
Deegan Cairney

Thats 6 out of 7 players, moving from the back, that we have added this summer. The lack of activity further up the pitch is hugely frustrating, but Im also pleased at how we have gone about things so far. All of those players were playing for their previous clubs, and that defence, giving the SPL experience in there, shouldnt be flogging goals like we have done in the past (although they will need help from the rest of the team).

Like I say, things get a lot worse as we move up further up the pitch (although if we stop playing long balls all game that would help), but Im still positive about what we have done so far.

matty_f
10-08-2012, 08:09 PM
McPake and Griffiths took the same view of Fenlon.

Think Maybury is a decent signing for us, and I wish him well.

:aok: And Deegan. And Doyle. :agree:

PatHead
10-08-2012, 08:12 PM
Welcome Alan.

Hope you have a successful career at Easter Road starting Sunday.

Leishy1995
10-08-2012, 09:05 PM
1 year of effort and commitment is all he needs to become a good well liked player with the fans. Good luck, and welcome to easter road.

Spike Mandela
10-08-2012, 09:54 PM
Roll up roll up , Hibs comedy transfer dealings are us. we are officially a Scottish footballl joke. petrie and Fenlon for the Edinburgh fringe.

R'Albin
10-08-2012, 10:21 PM
:aok: And Deegan. And Doyle. :agree:

To be fair, I imagine even if he didn't like Fenlon Doyle would've still joined Hibs anyway.

However I do totally agree with what you're both saying :agree:

NOLA
10-08-2012, 10:31 PM
good solid signing, start on sunday please and move clancy to CH, simples :greengrin

sahib
11-08-2012, 07:19 AM
1 year of effort and commitment is all he needs to become a good well liked player with the fans. Good luck, and welcome to easter road.

And it will tide him over until he gets his free bus pass.

erin go bragh
11-08-2012, 08:24 AM
Welcome aboard the good ship Hibernian Alan ,going through a bit of a storm just now
But were just one game away from some clear waters and blue sky :thumbsup:

GGTTH

Cropley10
11-08-2012, 08:28 AM
Welcome Michael Hart, er I mean Alun Maybury

Cropley10
11-08-2012, 08:30 AM

Did he mention anything about the fabulous training centre or the great stadium?

scuttle
11-08-2012, 08:32 AM
A washed up ex jambo at 34, just what we needed....I despair i really do

marinello59
11-08-2012, 08:34 AM

:rolleyes:

snooky
11-08-2012, 08:39 AM
Signing Maybury is fine ... in a roundabout way, I suppose. :wink:

Heisenberg
11-08-2012, 08:41 AM

He's a solid enough player who should offer a bit of stability to a complete shambles of a defence.

scuttle
11-08-2012, 08:44 AM
He's a solid enough player who should offer a bit of stability to a complete shambles of a defence.

I would have thought that creative midfielders or strikers were more urgently required ,after all do you not defend from the front as is often qouted.

marinello59
11-08-2012, 08:45 AM
I would have thought that creative midfielders or strikers were more urgently required ,after all do you not defend from the front as is often qouted.

You either were not at Tannadice or are only trying to wind people up.

hibsbollah
11-08-2012, 08:50 AM
Did he mention anything about the fabulous training centre or the great stadium?

Not a word. He said he found Petrie's mouser strangely arousing, and before he knew what he was doing he'd whipped out his 'Gary Mackay Hearts Trophyless Legend' ballpoint and signed on the dotted line.

scuttle
11-08-2012, 08:53 AM

Right be honest would you rather sign Maybury than say Beattie, Hayes, Mcginn, Mcfadden etc . At 34 on a one year deal its only another mediocre stop gap and we go through it all again next summer. Im not winding anybody up its a forum about opinions after all, and how many on here can really say they have seen him play much in the last few years

PatHead
11-08-2012, 09:05 AM
Right be honest would you rather sign Maybury than say Beattie, Hayes, Mcginn, Mcfadden etc . At 34 on a one year deal its only another mediocre stop gap and we go through it all again next summer. Im not winding anybody up its a forum about opinions after all, and how many on here can really say they have seen him play much in the last few years

Maybury has started more games in the past season than Beattie, McGinn and McFadden put together. If we had a strong squad maybe we could look at luxury players which all of these are apart from Hayes.

At this stage we need players who will give their all in every game and help create a professional atmosphere off the park. Once this is achieved and we have a winning team then we can move onto the next stage and make "fancy" signings and promote the young guys. This is definately a foundation stage both on and off the park.

If we can put a good first half of the season together maybe players will want to join Hibs.

Still desperately need a striker though

Baldy Foghorn
11-08-2012, 09:25 AM

I saw AM in pre-season, didn't look great, didn't look poor, he did however look comfortable and efficient. If PF wants him that will do for me.....Let's not write him off just yet. I hope his experience can bolster our team/squad.

edwards
11-08-2012, 09:31 AM
I would like to wish Alan Maybury all the best and please go out and sort that ****** team out defensively. Surely can't be any worse than that donkey Hart who took a wage and spent all week on the treatment table and when times got tough wanted substituted.

Baldy Foghorn
11-08-2012, 09:34 AM
I would like to wish Alan Maybury all the best and please go out and sort that ****** team out defensively. Surely can't be any worse than that donkey Hart who took a wage and spent all week on the treatment table and when times got tough wanted substituted.

If AM betters our defence then fine and dandy......

Hart still gives me nightmares..............

YehButNoBut
11-08-2012, 09:53 AM
Interview with Maybury from youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhmielzvimY

PeterboroHibee
11-08-2012, 10:57 AM

I think he has a point. Whilst the goals at Tannadice were more or less typical of Hibs shambolic defending, the fact is nothing was sticking going forward, the players were making poor decisions and we created very little. Every time Williams hoofed it up the pitch, Uniteds CBs were winning everything and it was coming straight back at us. Building the defence is a step in the right direction, but that alone isnt going to solve everything.

matty_f
11-08-2012, 10:59 AM
Welcome Michael Hart, er I mean Alun Maybury

:faf::faf::faf: oh you can tell the Festival is on.

Northernhibee
I think he has a point. Whilst the goals at Tannadice were more or less typical of Hibs shambolic defending, the fact is nothing was sticking going forward, the players were making poor decisions and we created very little. Every time Williams hoofed it up the pitch, Uniteds CBs were winning everything and it was coming straight back at us. Building the defence is a step in the right direction, but that alone isnt going to solve everything.

Having both Deegan and Cairney will help big time. Two players who can put a challenge in and can beat a man. :agree:

GreenOnions
I am happy with this signing - for a number of reasons:

- Maybury is competent and experienced and should therefore help our defence
- He's versatile and can cover for right back or play on the left
- He isn't costing too much and it might be best to splash any cash on midfield/attack
- It should allow Hanlon to move to centre back.
- Maybe Fenlon thinks someone else at the club (like Scott Smith perhaps) might be ready for the left back slot over the next 12 months but not quite yet?

matty_f
11-08-2012, 11:01 AM
No, though he did mention the acerbic wit of the support.

BEEJ
11-08-2012, 11:15 AM

- He isn't costing too much and it might be best to splash any cash on midfield/attack

How do you know?

A few weeks ago we apparently couldn't afford him. :confused:

J-C
11-08-2012, 11:18 AM
How do you know?

A few weeks ago, the Sky deal was up in the air and we were looking at £250,000 deficit in income.

BEEJ
11-08-2012, 11:31 AM
A few weeks ago, the Sky deal was up in the air and we were looking at £250,000 deficit in income.
Still doesn't answer how it is known that Maybury "isn't costing us too much".

Does that mean that he's signed for a lower than average wage at Hibs? What does it mean and how does the poster know this for certain?

GreenOnions
11-08-2012, 11:34 AM
How do you know?

I suppose, technically, you are right to pull me up on that although of the four points I made I didn't think that would be the most likely to generate a query.

I was doing what most of us need to do which is make an educated guess. What's more - I think I will be correct.

BEEJ
11-08-2012, 11:38 AM
I suppose, technically, you are right to pull me up on that although of the four points I made I didn't think that would be the most likely to generate a query.

I was doing what most of us need to do which is make an educated guess. What's more - I think I will be correct.
Fair enough. It's just that it's a relative term - not costing us much compared to what or who?

As it has taken the club so long to get this deal over the line, I very much doubt that he was a bargain financially.

GreenOnions
11-08-2012, 11:44 AM
Fair enough. It's just that it's a relative term - not costing us much compared to what or who?

As it has taken the club so long to get this deal over the line, I very much doubt that he was a bargain financially.

Well I'm afraid to say but IMO a "bargain financially" is also a relative term so it would appear we've both fallen into the same trap.

We can only speculate about the terms of the deal but given Petrie's strengths and the likely relative weakness of Maybury's bargaining position I'm confident that, compared to other senior professionals on the club's books, he won't be costing us an arm and a leg. I may be wrong though .... :wink:

NorthNorfolkHFC
11-08-2012, 11:57 AM
Probably a good signing.

We just need a couple more now. See PF in the Scotsman today saying he can't believe Sevco one or two others are throwing cash around.

Still unsure if he is having a dig at our board for not doing the same or just bemused at losing out on transfer targets.

BEEJ
11-08-2012, 12:13 PM
Well I'm afraid to say but IMO a "bargain financially" is also a relative term so it would appear we've both fallen into the same trap.
Indeed it is.

And that's exactly what your original phrasing was inferring. :wink:

Tyler Durden
11-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Probably a good signing.

We just need a couple more now. See PF in the Scotsman today saying he can't believe Sevco one or two others are throwing cash around.

Still unsure if he is having a dig at our board for not doing the same or just bemused at losing out on transfer targets.

To be blunt this is a poor excuse from Fenlon. At worst we've lost out on Sandaza and Shiels to the Rangers. Where are his other targets? He's known since he took the job that this summer would involve a massive rebuild, he should have had a list of players lined up. I must be in the minority to be disappointed that we've not signed more LoI players - you'd think there must be players there who could cope with the SPL.

The fact is that other SPL teams have managed to make signings that would walk into our squad. Are they offering higher wages than us?

Fenlon has put himself under pressure now and he has to deliver 2 or 3 players who will immediately improve the team. Nobody wants to hear about his frustration.

Vault Boy
11-08-2012, 12:23 PM

- Maybury is competent and experienced and should therefore help our defence
- He's versatile and can cover for right back or play on the left
- It should allow Hanlon to move to centre back.
- Maybe Fenlon thinks someone else at the club (like Scott Smith perhaps) might be ready for the left back slot over the next 12 months but not quite yet?

:agree: If we strengthen the midfield up a bit, we have the makings of a much improved team. I think this is the best back line we have had in a while, going forward we are not as good, but the defence has taken a good shape.

PeterboroHibee
11-08-2012, 12:27 PM
To be blunt this is a poor excuse from Fenlon. At worst we've lost out on Sandaza and Shiels to the Rangers. Where are his other targets? He's known since he took the job that this summer would involve a massive rebuild, he should have had a list of players lined up. I must be in the minority to be disappointed that we've not signed more LoI players - you'd think there must be players there who could cope with the SPL.

The fact is that other SPL teams have managed to make signings that would walk into our squad. Are they offering higher wages than us?

Fenlon has put himself under pressure now and he has to deliver 2 or 3 players who will immediately improve the team. Nobody wants to hear about his frustration.

I agree with what he has said but youre right, whats the point in moaning about it? There are teams in every country that massively overspend and the other clubs just have to deal with it. Aberdeen seem to have splashed the cash on Hayes, but other than that, could we not have competed with the likes of St. Johnstone for any of their strikers?

GreenOnions
11-08-2012, 12:35 PM
Indeed it is.

And that's exactly what your original phrasing was inferring. :wink:

Ha, ha. Fair enough. Let's hope he does the business on the park anyway!

hibeesjoe
11-08-2012, 12:46 PM
Just watched his interview on YouTube and he comes across quite well and will hopefully be a good player for us. He mentions a couple of times that he was expecting to sign quicker than he did though. He couldn't have had too much interest from other teams if he has spent 5 weeks with Hibs so probably wasnt too hard to do business with. If the hold up was a financial one then I'm not holding my breath for anymore signings this summer.

Baldy Foghorn
11-08-2012, 03:28 PM

I got the impression reading the interview, that PF was unhappy at Newco being allowed to bring in players on "decent" wages, when the rest of us have to work within financial constraints.....I don't think he was saying we lost targets to Newco, just making a general observation.....

Billy Whizz
11-08-2012, 03:36 PM
Just watched his interview on YouTube and he comes across quite well and will hopefully be a good player for us. He mentions a couple of times that he was expecting to sign quicker than he did though. He couldn't have had too much interest from other teams if he has spent 5 weeks with Hibs so probably wasnt too hard to do business with. If the hold up was a financial one then I'm not holding my breath for anymore signings this summer.

Interestingly he said that he was expecting the deal to go through last week, so he would have been available for the Dundee Utd game. Why does it take so long to sign someone who's been training with us for 4/5 weeks and was also a free agent?

Saorsa
11-08-2012, 03:38 PM
Interestingly he said that he was expecting the deal to go through last week, so he would have been available for the Dundee Utd game. Why does it take so long to sign someone who's been training with us for 4/5 weeks and was also a free agent?maybe tae give Petrie time tae batter him down 50 quid a week? :wink: