PDA

View Full Version : Athletic sprinters

1two
09-08-2012, 10:20 PM
I'm not suggesting this for hibs, I'm just wondering if anyone thinks it would work.

. Does anyone think a sprinter would make it as a footballer from there pace alone. Obviously there has to be some football skill and knowledge there but if you take for example Adam Gemini from team gb, put him in a hibs top and stick him up front, assuming he can kick a ball surely he's going to have half a chance against spl defences?
I have no idea what a sprinter earns but I'm guessing not a massive amount and I doubt that, apart from the big names, athletics is their full time job? So £2k a week must sound like decent money?

Again I'm not suggesting we sign Usain Bolt but do you think it would work?

Scouse Hibee
09-08-2012, 10:22 PM
Well it worked with Ivan until he lost that extra yard which was all he ever had.

DrewDogg1875
09-08-2012, 10:24 PM
Well it worked with Ivan until he lost that extra yard which was all he ever had.

I'm not much of a fan of the following style of post but: "this"

McKenzie
09-08-2012, 10:25 PM
Alan O'Brien anyone?

Leishy1995
09-08-2012, 10:27 PM
That the lad who got made chose between football and sprinting?

jamieross
09-08-2012, 10:31 PM
Usain Bolt was talking about trying for a trial with Rio Ferdinand on twitter the other day actually, apparently Bolts not too bad a footballer either.

blackpoolhibs
09-08-2012, 10:42 PM
As others have said, Ivan and O'brien got a decent living out the game with pace and little football ability.

Hiber-nation
09-08-2012, 10:45 PM
I'm not suggesting this for hibs, I'm just wondering if anyone thinks it would work.

. Does anyone think a sprinter would make it as a footballer from there pace alone. Obviously there has to be some football skill and knowledge there but if you take for example Adam Gemini from team gb, put him in a hibs top and stick him up front, assuming he can kick a ball surely he's going to have half a chance against spl defences?
I have no idea what a sprinter earns but I'm guessing not a massive amount and I doubt that, apart from the big names, athletics is their full time job? So £2k a week must sound like decent money?

We used to have one back in the 60s, George McNeill. Don't think he played in the first team though.

Mon Dieu4
09-08-2012, 10:47 PM
Think it was Darren Campbell that tried it, didn't work out, maybe they should try bobsledding

Leishy1995
09-08-2012, 11:07 PM
Usain Bolt was talking about trying for a trial with Rio Ferdinand on twitter the other day actually, apparently Bolts not too bad a footballer either.

Rio even said he had had a word with the boss, and the trial could go ahead.

The Harp
09-08-2012, 11:19 PM
We used to have one back in the 60s, George McNeill. Don't think he played in the first team though.

He played several games for the 1st team before becoming a successful professional sprinter. Hit the skids though when he went to Tynie as a sprint coach.:confused:

Pete
10-08-2012, 04:55 AM

When Ivan first came he was a surprise and an accident waiting to happen for a defence who lost concentration. He would chase them down but lets be honest...that's all he really brought to the table apart from a few decent finishes and crosses that you would naturally expect from a professional footballer.

I think Micah Richards is an example of an athlete who just happens to have footballing ability. They aren't good enough to compete at the top, top level...as Roy Hodgeson knows. There was an outrage when Glen johnson was chosen over him but it's not even up for debate who has the better footballing brain. He's a stop-gap as far as Mancini is concerned.

This whole philosophy of taking big, young athletic kids and developing them into footballers is back to front. It's been the British way for a while and hasn't worked.

Take kids who can play football...develop their skills...then develop them physically when they're old enough.

1two
10-08-2012, 05:16 AM
With regards to ivan, and despite the fact he's lost that extra yard, I'm still of the opinion that he would be more affective coming on towards the end of a game up front and play through balls to him and let him run at tiring defenders.
Even now if he manages to run past full backs I the byline he very rarely delivers with decent crosses and no longer cuts inside himself.
I'm not sure if thats just based on nostalgia from that rangers game but have we ever really tried him up there since his hat trick all them years ago?

aazza91
10-08-2012, 05:26 AM
That the lad who got made chose between football and sprinting?

Yeah he only went quit football in January to go full time athletics. sure he was on loan at thurrock or something from dag and red.

Lucius Apuleius
10-08-2012, 05:40 AM

He played several games for the 1st team before becoming a successful professional sprinter. Hit the skids though when he went to Tynie as a sprint coach.:confused:

Funnily enough he only played once for the first team. I remember him more when he played with Stirling Albion. Not sure if his record in the Powderhall Sprint still stands. I believe the fact he played professional football precluded him from going to the Olympics.

Peevemor
10-08-2012, 05:43 AM
Funnily enough he only played once for the first team. I remember him more when he played with Stirling Albion. Not sure if his record in the Powderhall Sprint still stands. I believe the fact he played professional football precluded him from going to the Olympics.

It does, because it was the last time the race was held over 120 yards, changing thereafter to 110m.

http://www.sportingworld.co.uk/newyearsprint/briefhistory_20.html

millarco
10-08-2012, 06:36 AM
When Ivan first came he was a surprise and an accident waiting to happen for a defence who lost concentration. He would chase them down but lets be honest...that's all he really brought to the table apart from a few decent finishes and crosses that you would naturally expect from a professional footballer.

I think Micah Richards is an example of an athlete who just happens to have footballing ability. They aren't good enough to compete at the top, top level...as Roy Hodgeson knows. There was an outrage when Glen johnson was chosen over him but it's not even up for debate who has the better footballing brain. He's a stop-gap as far as Mancini is concerned.

This whole philosophy of taking big, young athletic kids and developing them into footballers is back to front. It's been the British way for a while and hasn't worked.

Take kids who can play football...develop their skills...then develop them physically when they're old enough.

And yet Micah Richards grew up playing Futsal. Think the technical ability is there, he perhaps just went too far on the physical side.

Sumner
10-08-2012, 06:41 AM

.. my instant thoughts reading the original post :hmmm:

Golden Bear
10-08-2012, 06:44 AM

I'm sure George proved himself to be the fastest man in the world (at the time) when he took on and beat two of the American Olympic sprint champions in a special challenge at Meadowbank.

Or is my memory playing tricks again?

LeighLoyal
10-08-2012, 07:49 AM
More useful for Rugby and American football I'd imagine. Footballers need some ability, unless they're playing for Hibs. :rolleyes:

easty
10-08-2012, 07:52 AM
And yet Micah Richards grew up playing Futsal. Think the technical ability is there, he perhaps just went too far on the physical side.

Micah Richards is quality.

Bad Habits
10-08-2012, 08:15 AM

IIRC though Not 100% sure but gemeli plays for Dagenham and Redbridge league 2 as a left back

Edit: give up football this year to focus on athletics, says he was at Chelsea's youth team for ages before he joined D&R

PeterboroHibee
10-08-2012, 08:17 AM
Micah Richards is quality.

I like Richards but there was something in what the other poster said. Im sure Mancini and possibly Capello have came out and said that Richards often ignored what they asked of him, and wasnt the most responsive of players. He obviously has talent, and his sheer size and athleticism sees him through most games, but theres clearly a reason why two England managers in a row have been unsure about picking him.

As for the original idea of this thread, Ive no desire to see another player at the club whos only attribute is to be really fast. Its a nice idea to think you can put a sprinter into a football team and they will run onto the end of things all game long, but I cant see it ever working.

Greendub
10-08-2012, 08:28 AM
I'd say no, yeah usain bolt would get to the other end in about 10 seconds but the ball would still be at the other end

J-C
10-08-2012, 09:19 AM
Also a football (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_football) player, Gemili played as a defender (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defender_(association_football)) for Football League Two (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_League_Two) team Dagenham & Redbridge (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dagenham_%26_Redbridge_F.C.),[5] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Gemili#cite_note-bromley30june2011-4) and joined Thurrock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thurrock_F.C.) on loan at the end of August 2011. He was formerly a youth player at Chelsea (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_F.C.)from the age of eight onwards for seven years, and spent a year at Reading (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reading_F.C.).[9] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Gemili#cite_note-bbcsport2june-8)[5] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Gemili#cite_note-bromley30june2011-4) His time is split between athletics and football; he said of his potential dual careers in 2012, "I hope this year could be a turning point in helping me decide which sport to focus on, but it does depend on what I run this year."[11] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Gemili#cite_note-athweek2june-10) In 2012 Gemili switched full-time to athletics.[12] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Gemili#cite_note-BBC27June-11)

Adam Gemili
Sometimes you can do both as this young lad proved.

lapsedhibee
10-08-2012, 09:36 AM

I remember watching him play on the left wing for the reserves. Can you expand on your 'hitting the skids' remark? Where is he now? :dunno:

Sean1875
10-08-2012, 10:54 AM
Pretty sure Dwayne Chambers was either linked, or did actually play for an NFL team a couple years back.

overdrive
10-08-2012, 12:00 PM
Pretty sure Dwayne Chambers was either linked, or did actually play for an NFL team a couple years back.

Rugby League as well. I think he tried and failed at several sports during his drugs ban.

The Harp
10-08-2012, 12:02 PM
I remember watching him play on the left wing for the reserves. Can you expand on your 'hitting the skids' remark? Where is he now? :dunno:

Sorry RH, wasn't meant to be taken seriously - it was only in jest 'cos of his employment wi' the Yams.
I've got George's book 'The Unique Double' published in 1983. The title referring to his winning of the Centenary Powderhall Sprint 1970 and Australia's most prestigious race, The Stawell Gift in its centenary year in 1981. In the book he mentions Bob Shankly telling him "You've been five years with us without making the first team. I think a change of club, of surroundings, might help your game, get you out of the rut." So I was certainly wrong in thinking he played several games for us.
As for what he's doing right now - I don't know, but he apparently was working in the family's building business and was/is highly regarded as an after dinner speaker.

RyeSloan
10-08-2012, 12:15 PM
The idea that you can just pop someone with pace into a front line and that they will score goals 'cause it's the SPL' just goes to show how little people understand how difficult professional football is.

Scouse Hibee
10-08-2012, 03:25 PM
The idea that you can just pop someone with pace into a front line and that they will score goals 'cause it's the SPL' just goes to show how little people understand how difficult professional football is.

Well Ivan done it, and now without the extra yard he's useless. The only thing I can't understand about that is how he still gets a game now!

jdships
10-08-2012, 03:42 PM
Back in the early 1950's we signed a centre forward Sandy Bruce a student at Edin Uni and Scottish Uni's sprint champion.
Quick as ' S..t off a shovel' but with two left feet .
Was a regular in the reserves but not sure how often he was in the 1st XI
As they used to say ' couldnae hit a coo across the erse wi a banjo ' :greengrin
As someone else posted we had McNeil before he took up pro sprinting . If it hadn't been for his prowess as as a sprinter we would probably have forgotten about him :rolleyes:

TrinityHibs
10-08-2012, 07:49 PM
Sorry RH, wasn't meant to be taken seriously - it was only in jest 'cos of his employment wi' the Yams.
I've got George's book 'The Unique Double' published in 1983. The title referring to his winning of the Centenary Powderhall Sprint 1970 and Australia's most prestigious race, The Stawell Gift in its centenary year in 1981. In the book he mentions Bob Shankly telling him "You've been five years with us without making the first team. I think a change of club, of surroundings, might help your game, get you out of the rut." So I was certainly wrong in thinking he played several games for us.
As for what he's doing right now - I don't know, but he apparently was working in the family's building business and was/is highly regarded as an after dinner speaker.

George is a top man. Excellent speaker and a genuinely funny guy. His story about why he was so quick is priceless:thumbsup:

Danderhall Hibs
10-08-2012, 10:44 PM
Well Ivan done it, and now without the extra yard he's useless. The only thing I can't understand about that is how he still gets a game now!

I'm not convinced he's lost pace I think we pass the ball to his feet and he's got to think. In the good old days Boozy or someone else good would pass the ball ahead of him in space for him to run into.

Future17
11-08-2012, 12:42 PM
The British men's 4x100 team are a prime example of why sprinters couldn't be footballers. Bags of pace but can't make a simple pass.

Scouse Hibee
11-08-2012, 01:28 PM
I'm not convinced he's lost pace I think we pass the ball to his feet and he's got to think. In the good old days Boozy or someone else good would pass the ball ahead of him in space for him to run into.

Well if he's not lost any pace nearly every full back must have gained a few extra yards!

1two
11-08-2012, 04:33 PM

Thats not what i said, But yeah if it gives you something controversial o say then you go for it

jdships
11-08-2012, 05:18 PM

:thumbsup:
Success in pro football has to be worked for , pace or no pace , especially if you have any ambition other than just to make a living !!
For me ' Great ' football players are born with natural ability , coaching only develops that ability and experience then makes them the super stars they become.
Unless a player has ability to go with pace then it is not certain he will make it
Having said that pace isn't everything !
Those of you who are old enough to remember Pat Quinn 1963–1969 ,who played 125 games , and scored 19 goals will know he wasn't the fastest thing ever but he could CONTROL the midfield with his sheer talent .
Going further back we had Sammy Kean in the 1950's who was a first class player without blistering pace.
I accept that todays game is now ' blackboard tactics football' and difficult to compare with the past set up but one wonders if we reverted to the 'old style' would it work :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
11-08-2012, 08:12 PM
Well if he's not lost any pace nearly every full back must have gained a few extra yards!

Did you not read my post? Or did you just not understand it?