PDA

View Full Version : Alan Maybury

Hibeesmad
08-08-2012, 10:02 PM
What does everyone think of him, personally I thought he didn't look great in pre season but surely he's better than half the crap we have e.g Stephens. With him coming into the team I think the back four will be Clancy, Mcpake, Hanlon, Maybury. Or even Clancy cb with maybury rb. But I think whats going to happen on Sunday is an awful performance from hibs with 0-0 running through to the 90min. 3 mins of injury time. 92.55 we will have a corner, maybury runs in and heads it into the back of the net! GGTTH

R'Albin
08-08-2012, 10:54 PM
Sorry but no matter how often I hear folk go on about how he could be a good addition I can't help but think of Michael Hart as soon as I think of an "experienced" 33-year old right back, who was never that great to begin with.

Sean1875
08-08-2012, 11:09 PM
Sorry but no matter how often I hear folk go on about how he could be a good addition I can't help but think of Michael Hart as soon as I think of an "experienced" 33-year old right back, who was never that great to begin with.

This. So much this.

Saorsa
08-08-2012, 11:17 PM
If we've signed him I think we should wait and see and give him a fair go instead of having threads/posts about how bad he might be before he's even kicked a ball.

Aldo
08-08-2012, 11:20 PM
If we've signed him I think we should wait and see and give him a fair go instead of having threads/posts about how bad he might be before he's even kicked a ball.

J totally agree with this.

Vault Boy
08-08-2012, 11:31 PM

:agree: Too right. I dare say he can't be worse than what we have, so let's have a bit of faith in Paddy.

LeighLoyal
08-08-2012, 11:51 PM
Why are we looking at St Johnstone rejects? :confused:

IWasThere2016
09-08-2012, 12:05 AM

This. He will be better than Hart - but I'm not sure it would be possible not to be.

Vault Boy
09-08-2012, 12:09 AM

As much as it pains me to say it, St Johnstone are currently a better team than us. Alan's got plenty of experience, let's just hope he turns out to be decent for us, that's all we need at the moment.

Kato
09-08-2012, 07:34 AM

Hart was a decent full back with lots of pace prior to a spate of injuries. After that, and since a lot of his good wrok was built around that pace, he was not such a good full back. The fact Hughes targeted and signed him after he had lost his main attribute speaks volumes about how much money was wasted during JH's tenure.

PeterboroHibee
09-08-2012, 07:43 AM

You mean the team that were far better than us last season, and a team he played a fair number of games in?

I dont know whether it will work out with Maybury, but I hope it does. Its difficult for most players coming to Hibs, but he is another decent addition to a back line that has plenty of SPL experience.

bingo70
09-08-2012, 07:46 AM
Hart was a decent full back with lots of pace prior to a spate of injuries. After that, and since a lot of his good wrok was built around that pace, he was not such a good full back. The fact Hughes targeted and signed him after he had lost his main attribute speaks volumes about how much money was wasted during JH's tenure.

Exactly, Maybury is someone that's never relied on pace so being a bit older shouldn't make that much difference to him.

To say because we've signed one old player that wasn't any good we shouldn't sign any more is a bit ridiculous.

Imo if he signs he'll make the defence better, he might not be an exciting signing or one that's very good on football manager but if he makes us harder to score against then that's all I'm interested in just now.

Saorsa
09-08-2012, 07:47 AM
Why are we looking at St Johnstone rejects? :confused:I thought we were looking at a fitba player.

That reject (as you put it) played in a team that finished 17 points and 5 places ahead us last season, a team that conceded less goals than us with a GD better by 20

Saorsa
09-08-2012, 07:49 AM
You mean the team that were far better than us last season, and a team he played a fair number of games in?

I dont know whether it will work out with Maybury, but I hope it does. Its difficult for most players coming to Hibs, but he is another decent addition to a back line that has plenty of SPL experience.:agree:

Exactly, Maybury is someone that's never relied on pace so being a bit older shouldn't make that much difference to him.

To say because we've signed one old player that wasn't any good we shouldn't sign any more is a bit ridiculous.

Imo if he signs he'll make the defence better, he might not be an exciting signing or one that's very good on football manager but if he makes us harder to score against then that's all I'm interested in just now.:agree:

matty_f
09-08-2012, 08:10 AM
I thought we were looking at a fitba player.

That reject (as you put it) played in a team that finished 17 points and 5 places ahead us last season, a team that conceded less goals than us with a GD better by 20
Exactly. :agree:

How many times have we asked how other clubs get bett teams on smaller budgets than us? It's because they sign players like Maybury (not even like him, but actually him!) because he brings more than just what you get from him as a player. The experience and steadiness should help others flourish and it's that kind of character that we've been sorely lacking for a long time.

This is about getting good value. He's not expensive and he will improve the side.

Gatecrasher
09-08-2012, 08:14 AM
He will improve our defence and that's a good thing.

blackpoolhibs
09-08-2012, 08:17 AM
I'm still to be convinced that Maybury is any better than what we have, and i'm only basing that on the one time i saw him play for 45 minutes in Belgium?

I'm hoping he is if he signs, and know he'd only be a short term signing, but one who might help get us further up the league, along with a few others who play further up the park?

How many games did he play for St Johnstone last season?

Saorsa
09-08-2012, 08:19 AM
I'm still to be convinced that Maybury is any better than what we have, and i'm only basing that on the one time i saw him play for 45 minutes in Belgium?

I'm hoping he is if he signs, and know he'd only be a short term signing, but one who might help get us further up the league, along with a few others who play further up the park?

How many games did he play for St Johnstone last season?26

tomhorn
09-08-2012, 08:20 AM
Not the most exciting signing but he is the right type of player we need just now. A good solid SPL pro. Others teams in the SPL have players like this. Part of the ballance you need. He is far better at defending than Booth or Kujabi. Dont understand why people are mocking him as a St Johnston reject, he is taking a step down to come to us at the end of the day.

Just Alf
09-08-2012, 08:22 AM
Exactly. :agree:

How many times have we asked how other clubs get bett teams on smaller budgets than us? It's because they sign players like Maybury (not even like him, but actually him!) because he brings more than just what you get from him as a player. The experience and steadiness should help others flourish and it's that kind of character that we've been sorely lacking for a long time.

This is about getting good value. He's not expensive and he will improve the side.

:top marks

Being realistic we need to move forward in our signings, AM is a good example for the reasons above.... ok we won't win the league but it's a good step towards taking us away from a relegation battle, once beyond that we can start thinking about top 6 etc...... 1st things 1st though.

blackpoolhibs
09-08-2012, 08:22 AM

So he must have contributed to their decent finish in the league? :aok:

jodjam
09-08-2012, 08:24 AM
Seemingly the reason he's not signed yet is down to musical differences. The stories i'm hearing (in ma head) are that AM has a close association with Westlife the band. They were regularly spotted at the PBS.

As part of the deal RP wants all the members and background staff of Westlife to buy season tickets to watch AM. Westlife only want to commit to 4 season tix this season so this is where the problem lies. Westlife are not convinced they will be watching a top 6 team. Indeed one of the band described Lewis Stevenson as "no better than a Boyzone roadie".......RP lost the plot at this point.

Even if the season ticket row is sorted there is another hurdle. Westlife want rights to all pre game and HT music but it's well known that RP is looking for "power ballad Saturday" and is negotiating with Jennifer Rush for the music rights to ER.

Anyway the saga will probably run and run.

I hope he signs, makes us harder to beat, and gets us moving in the right direction.

Alan Maybury can build a bridge :wink:

goosefat
09-08-2012, 08:25 AM
I thought we were looking at a fitba player.

True, but that team did consist of players other than just Maybury.

I do agree though, that he's far from a 'reject' and there's nothing from his performances last season to suggest that he's anything other than a very good defender.

As usual, people on here are getting their strikes in early, before he's even kicked a competitive ball for us.

:rolleyes:

Craig_in_Prague
09-08-2012, 08:28 AM
Have no problem at all if he signs, plus if it means Stephens never plays again... all the better.

Williams, Clancy, Maybury and McPake are pretty good defensive signings if you ask me - Even on our budget that's top 4.

CorrieHibs
09-08-2012, 08:29 AM

Unfortunatley they are a better team than us. We might have the bigger support but seems their club is better ran than us and have a board that seem to pick better managers are on a smaller budget.

They can also attract better players as well. We lost out to them for sheridan last year.

matty_f
09-08-2012, 08:30 AM
Not the most exciting signing but he is the right type of player we need just now. A good solid SPL pro. Others teams in the SPL have players like this. Part of the ballance you need. He is far better at defending than Booth or Kujabi. Dont understand why people are mocking him as a St Johnston reject, he is taking a step down to come to us at the end of the day.

St Johnston will never, ever be a step up from Hibs.

Saorsa
09-08-2012, 08:31 AM
So he must have contributed to their decent finish in the league? :aok:That was in all competitions, 22 SPL and 2 in each of the cups.

I'm taking these stats from soccerbase so if they're wrong it's nowt tae dae with me :greengrin

tomhorn
09-08-2012, 09:18 AM
St Johnston will never, ever be a step up from Hibs.

In 2012 they are im afraid. I dinnae remember them avoiding relegation by the skin of the teeth then being humiliated in a cup final recently do you?

lord bunberry
09-08-2012, 09:24 AM
In 2012 they are im afraid. I dinnae remember them avoiding relegation by the skin of the teeth then being humiliated in a cup final recently do you?

It may be a step down in terms of where we finished in the league but st johnstone will never be considered a bigger club than hibs

matty_f
09-08-2012, 09:25 AM

I don't remember them in a cup final recently. Two seasons of better finishes doesn't make them a step up imho.

CallumLaidlaw
09-08-2012, 09:25 AM

I agree with you about the league but the cup can't surely be used. Surely getting to a cup final is a bigger achievement than not getting to one? Regardless of the result

J-C
09-08-2012, 09:27 AM
Maybury is a good solid pro, who's kept himself very fit throughout his career and although lacks a bit of pace, makes up for his experience and positioning. Able to play either side of defence is an added bonus and just because he played for St Johnstone last year just goes to show he's still able to compete at this level, not a world beater but better than what we have and will do for a good season anyway.

J-C
09-08-2012, 09:29 AM
I agree with you about the league but the cup can't surely be used. Surely getting to a cup final is a bigger achievement than not getting to one? Regardless of the result

Getting to a cup final was winning 3 games, which covered up the negatives, they competed a hellova lot better than us over the season.

leithsansiro
09-08-2012, 09:57 AM
I find it odd to see how narrow minded and hypocritical people are being about potential signings?

Do we want guys who act and play professionally?
Do we want a good balance of experience to help bring younger guys on?
Do we want to draw on the strengths of other teams?

I don't really see what the big problem is with PF looking to bring in a bit of experience from a side who have finished significantly higher than us for the last couple of years. Admittedly, he isn't Franck Sauzee, but the boy has probably got a bit about him. :agree:

Oh, wait a minute.....you mean he used to play for Hearts? Well, no point in pursuing this one then (or in any way assuming he'd ever be given a fair crack of the whip)
:brickwall

Brooster
09-08-2012, 09:57 AM
Getting to a cup final was winning 3 games, which covered up the negatives, they competed a hellova lot better than us over the season.

4 games, cmon eh give us some credit :cb

bingo70
09-08-2012, 10:01 AM
I find it odd to see how narrow minded and hypocritical people are being about potential signings?

I don't really see what the big problem is with PF looking to bring in a bit of experience from a side who have finished significantly higher than us for the last couple of years. Admittedly, he isn't Franck Sauzee, but the boy has probably got a bit about him. :agree:

Oh, wait a minute.....you mean he used to play for Hearts? Well, no point in pursuing this one then (or in any way assuming he'd ever be given a fair crack of the whip)

I've not seen much criticism of him because he played for hearts?

H18sry
09-08-2012, 10:12 AM
I think Maybury would be a good singing for us a player that can comfortably play RB/LB will be better than Spoony covering RB if Clancy is out, I would put him as 1st choice LB freeing up Hanlon to partner McPake in the centre of defence. I think a defence of Williams, Clancy, McPake,Hanlon and Maybury could be very hard to break down add in a midfield of Cairney,Deegan,Claros and Spoony with Sparky and a new striker up top would do me for Sunday. :agree:

R'Albin
09-08-2012, 10:39 AM

That's a fair point. I'm still not particularly enthralled by this signing, but I trust PF's judgement more than I do mine :greengrin

At what point did anyone say they didn't want him to sign for us because he played for the Yams? Infact I haven't even seen that once. Can you not see why some guys may be skeptical about signing a 33 year-old defender who has never played at a particularly high level or has done that much in his career really? Again, I'm prepared to give him a chance but to say that people are saying no to him because he once played for them is ridiculous.

Franck Stanton
09-08-2012, 11:02 AM
Christ, this has been dragging on for what seems like months, either sign him or tell him no thanks. Personally I would be happy if he signed, good solid defender that can fill either of the full back slots comfortably - why the delay in getting him signed ? Both f/back areas are a problem for us just now. Not saying Maybury is the answer long term, but for this season at least, he would be a big improvement and would allow Hanlon/Clancy to start in central defence thereby giving our back 4 a better balance.

sahib
09-08-2012, 12:23 PM
Christ, this has been dragging on for what seems like months, either sign him or tell him no thanks. Personally I would be happy if he signed, good solid defender that can fill either of the full back slots comfortably - why the delay in getting him signed ? Both f/back areas are a problem for us just now. Not saying Maybury is the answer long term, but for this season at least, he would be a big improvement and would allow Hanlon/Clancy to start in central defence thereby giving our back 4 a better balance.

Fenlon must see Maybury merely as a last resort, otherwise he would have signed him up right away. What other conclusion can there be?

Spike Mandela
09-08-2012, 12:27 PM
What does everyone think of him, personally I thought he didn't look great in pre season but surely he's better than half the crap we have e.g Stephens. With him coming into the team I think the back four will be Clancy, Mcpake, Hanlon, Maybury. Or even Clancy cb with maybury rb. But I think whats going to happen on Sunday is an awful performance from hibs with 0-0 running through to the 90min. 3 mins of injury time. 92.55 we will have a corner, maybury runs in and heads it into the back of the net! GGTTH

Fenlon must see Maybury merely as a last resort, otherwise he would have signed him up right away. What other conclusion can there be?

A limited pot of money and needing midfielders and strikers more.?

leithsansiro
09-08-2012, 12:29 PM
At what point did anyone say they didn't want him to sign for us because he played for the Yams? Infact I haven't even seen that once. Can you not see why some guys may be skeptical about signing a 33 year-old defender who has never played at a particularly high level or has done that much in his career really? Again, I'm prepared to give him a chance but to say that people are saying no to him because he once played for them is ridiculous.

No body has directly said it, but I think it's an underlying assumption. If I'm wrong, I stand corrected. Never played at a decent level? And McPake has I presume? Or Ben Williams? People need to get a grip and stop shouting down any and every realistic signing target. We are not going to be signing top guys from top SPL clubs, so folk can forget some of the nonsense being suggested

Andy74
09-08-2012, 12:34 PM

Last resort is a bit dramatic.

It's an area he probably felt was well covered although he has said he likes him as a player and as a character it wasn't his prioroty, especially with money being tight these days.

It looks like for whatever reason, some budget is being freed to sign him. That might mean we have a bit more certainty over the TV deal, we might have a clearer idea of what other players are coming in. We might have got Deegan, a long term target, for cheaper than we budgeted for. Fenlon might also have looked at Sunday and thought that we do need more in those areas after all.

There's all sorts of conclusions and the fact he's been with us all the way through pre season doesn't suggest that he is any sort of last resort!

Aldo
09-08-2012, 01:17 PM
Folk are forgetting its a TEAM game and you require a bit of balance in this team. If Maybury signs he'll get ma full support (as do they all).

Hopefully his professionalism and experience will help others.

goosefat
09-08-2012, 01:33 PM

How about the fact that PF stated he wanted to sign him some weeks ago but didn't think Hibs could finance the deal. Now the TV money has arrived and maybe funds from elsewhere he is able to complete the deal.

Or, you could just ignore all of that and put a negative slant on the whole situation. This is hibs.net after all...

shetlandhibee
09-08-2012, 02:02 PM

:agree: Ggtth!!

J-C
09-08-2012, 02:22 PM
I've not seen much criticism of him because he played for hearts?

Why? he's a Liverpool fan who just happened to play for our rivals, players have played for their rivals before, Gordon Smith comes to mind.

Started his career at Leeds(95-01), had a couple of loans before going to Hearts, then down south again to Leicester and Colchester.

Eyrie
09-08-2012, 06:46 PM
Maybury may not be a world beater, but that's not what we're looking for. He provides cover at RB where the alternative to Clancy is Wotherspoon and is a viable alternative at LB. He can even play defensive midfield at a push, so he effectively provides depth for all of the defensive positions. That versatility means that we only need to commit one wage to depth rather than two, and use the money freed up to improve the glaring deficiencies in midfield and up front.

And if he wins a starting job on merit then he's improved the team. What's not to like?

blaikie
09-08-2012, 07:08 PM
Could be our Davie Weir? Worth a years deal at least!

basehibby
09-08-2012, 07:14 PM
I'm hopeful that Maybury will be a good signing and his experience will improve us - just wish they'd get on with it and sign him! There's other even more crucial areas of the team that desperately need strengthening and if extreme efforts are not being made to sign these players in time for sunday then I am very disappointed!

bingo70
09-08-2012, 07:39 PM
I'm hopeful that Maybury will be a good signing and his experience will improve us - just wish they'd get on with it and sign him! There's other even more crucial areas of the team that desperately need strengthening and if extreme efforts are not being made to sign these players in time for sunday then I am very disappointed!

:agree:

We do seem to drag our heels with these things.

Same with the signing of Deegan, Fenlon apparently wanted him from day one at Hibs, he wasn't wanted by Coventry so how come it takes until after the season starts before he signs? He should have been targeted and signed on a pre-contract so he was with us from day one.

I know we need to be patient and get the right man and not the first option etc but when it's players that are clearly going to sign it annoys me when it takes so long to get the deal over the finishing line.

col02
09-08-2012, 08:10 PM
I reckon Maybury will sign tomorrow for Hibs and given he has been involved pre season will at least see him settle in easier than someone new to the squad. Would also expect a couple signings next week that have maybe been held off till the derby match has been played. Have to admit to being somewhat underwhelmed at the moment but know we will get where we are to be for the season with regards to the squad in the next week or two.

PatHead
09-08-2012, 08:27 PM
You never know with his experience he might even help turn Spoony and Booth into real full backs.

rcarter1
09-08-2012, 10:03 PM
You never know with his experience he might even help turn Spoony and Booth into real full backs.

Im liking this comment! :thumbsup:

I think Maybury would be a great addition. With Stephens struggling, he can give the manager more options, and I reckon he would be a great experienced player to add. When he was at Hearts he was a decent player, and 33 is not too old for a defender. From what I saw from the Huddersfield game, he had little to do and that is often a sign of a player that is in control.

Sign him please! :flag:

H18sry
10-08-2012, 01:53 PM
1 Year deal available for Sunday :wink:

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20120810/maybury-joins-hibernian_2262950_2877512

Gatecrasher
10-08-2012, 08:04 PM
Well in, Maybury for a 1 year deal. Better than what we have WOOHOO! :flag:

basehibby
10-08-2012, 10:15 PM
Welcome Alan - now help us do yer old club on Sun :scarf: