PDA

View Full Version : How long will the rebuilding take until were in the top 6 ?

yekimevol
08-08-2012, 05:10 PM
I believe that the rot has stopped and that now the foundations are being put into place for the rebuilding of the team. With the signings of mcpake, williams, clancy, griffiths and future signings. For our current situation of a 10th and then a 11th placed finish these signings are great as williams had offers from the championship probably as a number 2 but on better cash, clancy could have stayed with the team that will challenge for 2nd place in motherwell and leigh is still a good striker.

This season I believe the team will battle for a 8th or 7th placed finish with further improvements to break into the top 6 the next season.

But how long do you think it will be until were back up in the top 6 and do you agree with anything ive said ?

matty_f
08-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Scrape top 6 this season if we manage a body or two in before the window 'scams shut' and we make a clever signing or two in January. I think it won't be til next season before we look like a comfortable top 6 side.

Hopefully we give Pat the time to rebuild properly in a way that establishes us as top 6 at worst, on a sustainable basis.

Allant1981
08-08-2012, 05:30 PM
Think this season will be mid table at best only because of the crap that is still there from last season, he was never going to be able to get a full new squad no matter what we wanted. Hopefully get rid of the rest between now and end of season with a couple coming in in january then another 5 or 6 in the summer

Famous5forever
08-08-2012, 05:34 PM
I believe that the rot has stopped and that now the foundations are being put into place for the rebuilding of the team. With the signings of mcpake, williams, clancy, griffiths and future signings. For our current situation of a 10th and then a 11th placed finish these signings are great as williams had offers from the championship probably as a number 2 but on better cash, clancy could have stayed with the team that will challenge for 2nd place in motherwell and leigh is still a good striker.

This season I believe the team will battle for a 8th or 7th placed finish with further improvements to break into the top 6 the next season.

But how long do you think it will be until were back up in the top 6 and do you agree with anything ive said ?

Its a tricky one the jury is still out on Paddy for me and we still have the Dark Shadow of Petrie over our club however the new signings are an improvement on the dross that was there before.

yekimevol
08-08-2012, 05:36 PM
Scrape top 6 this season if we manage a body or two in before the window 'scams shut' and we make a clever signing or two in January. I think it won't be til next season before we look like a comfortable top 6 side.

Hopefully we give Pat the time to rebuild properly in a way that establishes us as top 6 at worst, on a sustainable basis.

I would take that, If we get a target-man, playmaker and a left mid in then i think we could scrape a top 6 witch would be a huge improvement on the last few seasons.

matty_f
08-08-2012, 05:36 PM
Its a tricky one the jury is still out on Paddy for me and we still have the Dark Shadow of Petrie over our club however the new signings are an improvement on the dross that was there before.

You do realise that Petrie actually has very little to do with the day to day stuff at Hibs these days?

Famous5forever
08-08-2012, 05:39 PM
You do realise that Petrie actually has very little to do with the day to day stuff at Hibs these days?

TBO No i never i thought he was holding/controling the purse strings.

Baldy Foghorn
08-08-2012, 05:41 PM

Rebuilding has been a continual factor for too long.....Time as you say, that foundations are now installed....Who knows how far away we are from being decent and achieving decent finishes, because on Sunday we looked a million miles away from being a decent side....

yekimevol
08-08-2012, 05:43 PM

I trust rod, I believe the issue has been gaffers that have been brought in. Mixu was a solid gaffer but we still had grand illusions that we could do much better. hughes plans failed when his stikers goals dried up and stokes left, Calderwood should have on paper been a great gaffer but was the worst of the lot. Paddy seems to have vision and the aggression that previous managers were missing.

matty_f
08-08-2012, 05:43 PM
TBO No i never i thought he was holding/controling the purse strings.
It's just that you go on and on about him and it appears that while you're obviously very passionate about Hibs, your thoughts on things seem to be based on a total myth.

Saorsa
08-08-2012, 05:48 PM
You do realise that Petrie actually has very little to do with the day to day stuff at Hibs these days?Lindsay may be doing the leg work but you can bet it'll be being done by Petrie's agenda.

yekimevol
08-08-2012, 05:49 PM
Rebuilding has been a continual factor for too long.....Time as you say, that foundations are now installed....Who knows how far away we are from being decent and achieving decent finishes, because on Sunday we looked a million miles away from being a decent side....

The team is still missing two or three key pieces that was the issue on Sunday, we could not keep the ball due to us missing a target man and a playmaker. When we were pegged back we could not lump it up the park to a daly type to hold the ball up and we missed a boozy type to knock the ball around the park for those 5 yard passes to those 20 + passes to the wide players so we dictated the tempo of the game.

Famous5forever
08-08-2012, 05:50 PM
It's just that you go on and on about him and it appears that while you're obviously very passionate about Hibs, your thoughts on things seem to be based on a total myth.

Cheers for the Info i can back down on that one now i guess you kinda need someone to blame when things go wrong now i feel even worse as cant blame Petrie for the mess.:confused:

Andy74
08-08-2012, 05:51 PM

Probably about right although I'm sensing already that there's little grasp of the task at hand and Pat has been judged on what he's been left with.

Baldy Foghorn
08-08-2012, 05:52 PM
The team is still missing two or three key pieces that was the issue on Sunday, we could not keep the ball due to us missing a target man and a playmaker. When we were pegged back we could not lump it up the park to a daly type to hold the ball up and we missed a boozy type to knock the ball around the park for those 5 yard passes to those 20 + passes to the wide players so we dictated the tempo of the game.

I would say we need more than two or three missing key pieces.......

NORTHERNHIBBY
08-08-2012, 05:55 PM
We are not going to get the money to buy the quality that we need. That is going to have to come from the youth set ups. Think we are looking at three seasons maybe.

yekimevol
08-08-2012, 06:04 PM
We are not going to get the money to buy the quality that we need. That is going to have to come from the youth set ups. Think we are looking at three seasons maybe.

no-one in scotland is spending money and we pay the 4th highest wages in scotland. But coming to a team that is struggling and fighting relegation is not a attractive situation to come to. But bring in a solid core and creating a competitive squad will bring the right players in again.

Treadstone
08-08-2012, 06:13 PM
With the current team , I personally think we are miles away from the top six. However the good news is this league apart from Celtic has short termism attached to it . A few good purchases and a couple of decent youngsters and at least for the next three years second place is attainable . Nutsy though has to address our biggest failing - we are pushovers . Our midfield neither creates nor destroys , hopefully Deegan can start changing that situation .

matty_f
08-08-2012, 06:19 PM
Lindsay may be doing the leg work but you can bet it'll be being done by Petrie's agenda.

:agree: Dishing out instructions from his volcanic lair. Mwaaah-haaa-haaa style.

Cropley10
08-08-2012, 06:21 PM
I'd hope we're back in the top 6 within the next 2 to 3 years.

I'd hope we might beat Hearts again before then though.

Saorsa
08-08-2012, 06:22 PM
:agree: Dishing out instructions from his volcanic lair. Mwaaah-haaa-haaa style.The instructions will already be there. If you think the club will be run any way other than the Petrie way as long as he is still involved you're kidding yersel on. :wink:

Cropley10
08-08-2012, 06:27 PM
Think this season will be mid table at best only because of the crap that is still there from last season, he was never going to be able to get a full new squad no matter what we wanted. Hopefully get rid of the rest between now and end of season with a couple coming in in january then another 5 or 6 in the summer

Mid-table at best? Staying up is the target surely?

Keith_M
08-08-2012, 06:34 PM
Don't worry, we're just going through a transitional period.

It's been in progress for about 5 years now and no-one can possibly argue that we've transitioned...

...from quite decent to total sh*te.

lord bunberry
08-08-2012, 06:44 PM
Mid-table at best? Staying up is the target surely?

I would hope we can set our sights a bit higher than just staying up but that will depend on who else is brought in. Im quite impressed with what we have signed so far the problem is it's not enough and its disappointing that we've not been able to get more players in before now

erin go bragh
08-08-2012, 06:49 PM
We need a ch , 2 midfielders and a striker , then we will cruise into the top half :wink:

ggtth

Cropley10
08-08-2012, 08:21 PM
We need a ch , 2 midfielders and a striker , then we will cruise into the top half :wink:

ggtth

What about winning a Derby?

SouthamptonHibs
08-08-2012, 08:26 PM
Defo won't be anywhere near top six this season (unless we sign 3,4,5 quality players). We only have Griffiths who scores goals, midfield has little / no creativity plus there all midgets, we don't have any decent wingers plus no target man upfront, we still don't have a decent left back / comanding 6'3 centrehalf (Mind u happy wi McPake and Hanlon partnership). We might finish top six next season in the first division. Hopefully not hail hail

silverhibee
08-08-2012, 08:29 PM
What about winning a Derby?

When was the last one. :confused:

BEEJ
08-08-2012, 08:33 PM
I voted next season (2013/14).

In terms of SPL finishes over the next four sesaons, my guess would be:

2012/13 8th
2013/14 6th
2014/15 5th
2015/16 6th

I realise that for some on here this forecast will place me in that vast category within the Hibs support otherwise known as The Hopeless Optimists.

Expectations such as the above are killing our club. [Allegedly]

Onceinawhile
08-08-2012, 08:37 PM
I would hope that after the January window that we will have a top 6 team/squad. It might be too late to scrape top 6 this season, but nailed on for next.

SouthamptonHibs
08-08-2012, 08:38 PM
[QUOTE=BEEJ;3318987]I voted next season (2013/14).

2012/13 8th
2013/14 6th
2014/15 5th
2015/16 6th

I realise that for some on here this forecast will place me in that vast category within the Hibs support otherwise known as The Hopeless Optimists.

Expectations such as the above are killing our club. [Allegedly][/QUOTE

Roll on season 14/15 if ur predictions are correct
Think we'll be down to 6k crowds if we have to wait another 2 seasons to secure a top sixth place mate

3pm
08-08-2012, 08:38 PM
Beej, I think that's fair and is probably what will gappen but I want us to aim higher. It's hardly the EPL or La Liga we're building for.

I am maybe doing the rebuilding job a disservice though.

BEEJ
08-08-2012, 08:50 PM
Beej, I think that's fair and is probably what will gappen but I want us to aim higher. It's hardly the EPL or La Liga we're building for.

I am maybe doing the rebuilding job a disservice though.
So do I. :agree:

In any case, I think they'll have to aim for top 6 this season in order to finish 8th.

Think we'll be down to 6k crowds if we have to wait another 2 seasons to secure a top sixth place mate
It's all going to be about the journey rather than the destination.

If we finish 8th this season by scrabbling through on 0-0 draws and the odd win by a solitary goal, and there is no sign of a longer-term team structure and attractive playing style beginning to take shape as the season progresses, then I do think attendances will fall.

However, some proper signs of squad development and progress in team performances would instill hope and crowd numbers would be sustained.

frazeHFC
08-08-2012, 09:10 PM
When was the last one. :confused:

Deeks pen at Tynie? :dunno:

Famous5forever
09-08-2012, 05:49 AM
The instructions will already be there. If you think the club will be run any way other than the Petrie way as long as he is still involved you're kidding yersel on. :wink:

So Petrie is still running the show he may be skulking in the shadows but he is still the pupitier until Petrie is gone we wont move forward he is tighter than 2 coats of paint and is the main cause of the mess we are in.

Beefster
09-08-2012, 05:59 AM

And Hibs are completely rudderless as a result, unfortunately. I'm critical of certain aspects of Rodders' leadership but even I hanker for the days that we had someone remotely effective in charge.

Probably about right although I'm sensing already that there's little grasp of the task at hand and Pat has been judged on what he's been left with.

I know it doesn't suit your agenda but Fenlon's being judged on his results to date and the way he sets up the team (including the worst single result that a lot of us have ever had to sit through). If and when those change for the better, I'm sure he'll be more favourably judged.

Nevi1875
09-08-2012, 07:11 AM
2013 - 2014 only if fenlon gets time to build his own team.

jodjam
09-08-2012, 07:30 AM
[QUOTE=BEEJ;3318987]I voted next season (2013/14).

2012/13 8th
2013/14 6th
2014/15 5th
2015/16 6th

Expectations such as the above are killing our club. [Allegedly][/QUOTE

It's hard trying to guess a league position for this year before all signings are done , without guessing the next 4 seasons places. You don't even know what teams will be in there. You should give the bookies your money based on these guesses. I'm sure they are always happy to take bets this far in advance.

FWIW i reckon top 6 this year as i think others will struggle with cutbacks but Celtic, Utd, Well and prob those manky tramps will prob finish higher than us. I'm still looking forward to the ride though.

PeterboroHibee
09-08-2012, 07:50 AM

Yeah I agree with that, and I hope he does. Whilst we may pay higher wages than alot of SPL clubs, it really doesnt reflect where we are, and the players we have been bringing in. We need some stability in the team, and to be a proper unit rather than relying on one or two individuals every season. That may take a couple of years to achieve with any real success, but Id prefer to see the club really sort itself out, rather than continuing in the same downward spiral weve been subjected to over the last few years.

Sumner
09-08-2012, 07:52 AM
Where's the option to click :

"until the Twelfth of Never, and that's a long long time" :confused:

Jim44
09-08-2012, 08:09 AM
This season - relegation struggle with worst case scenario.
13 - 14 season - campaign for promotion with best case scenario.
14 - 15 season - get re-established in SPL.
15 - 16 season - pigs spotted flying over Easter Road as we scrape a place in the top six.

cam2644
09-08-2012, 04:33 PM
He still makes the big decisions and not too wisely either

sesoim
09-08-2012, 05:56 PM
I don't personally go along with the "huge rebuilding work" quote that keeps coming up. The vast majority of SPL teams lose about 10 players and sign 6 or 7 new ones every season. Nobody (apart from Celtic) can afford to hold onto decent players for any length of time at the moment. And this summer, most teams are hardly signing anybody. So from that point of view, if we just make sure that the signings that we make are better than half a dozen other teams, we should be end up in the top six. Also, our budget should really be bigger than everyone apart from Celtic and Hearts, so if we sign worse players than most other teams, either we aren't spending as much as we should be (which would pose some other serious questions), or our manager isn't good enough.

Personally, I think if we can get a decent CB partner for McPake, a decent LB, a productive RW and a good target man type CF, we can finish anywhere from mid table to top three. We also need to start getting the best out of Booth, Hanlon and Wotherspoon by changing their roles in the team. But if we keep signing relegation level players, our youngsters wont progress and we'll be stuck in the bottom six (at best) for ever.

And our crowds will really start to reflect that.

The_Todd
09-08-2012, 06:01 PM
I plumped for the longest possible time - not because it has to be, and not because we're that broken but right now we're just drifting aimlessly with no purpose or strategy.

bingo70
09-08-2012, 06:09 PM
I don't personally go along with the "huge rebuilding work" quote that keeps coming up. The vast majority of SPL teams lose about 10 players and sign 6 or 7 new ones every season. Nobody (apart from Celtic) can afford to hold onto decent players for any length of time at the moment. And this summer, most teams are hardly signing anybody. So from that point of view, if we just make sure that the signings that we make are better than half a dozen other teams, we should be end up in the top six. Also, our budget should really be bigger than everyone apart from Celtic and Hearts, so if we sign worse players than most other teams, either we aren't spending as much as we should be (which would pose some other serious questions), or our manager isn't good enough.

Personally, I think if we can get a decent CB partner for McPake, a decent LB, a productive RW and a good target man type CF, we can finish anywhere from mid table to top three. We also need to start getting the best out of Booth, Hanlon and Wotherspoon by changing their roles in the team. But if we keep signing relegation level players, our youngsters wont progress and we'll be stuck in the bottom six (at best) for ever.

And our crowds will really start to reflect that.

I think a big factor is confidence though so it'll take time to rebuild that, it's not just as simple as replacing players.

I personally think this season i'd like to see us well clear of relegation and challenging for a place in the top six, although i appreciate that may be a bit too much for us with this current team but next season i'd expect us to be pushing on and comfortably in the top six.

Dashing Bob S
09-08-2012, 06:35 PM
I think we'll improve from last season, if only because we've stood still while a lot of other clubs are going backwards. I think Killie and Dundee will battle for relegation. I see us being in the St Johnstone, St Mirren, ICT, M'Well pack, with the possibility of moving into the Dundee United, Hearts, A'deen grouping if we find a blend and have a good January transfer window.

The standard in SPL will be poor next season, as clubs cut their cloth accordingly. It might be more interesting than some think as some youngsters will be given a chance. I'd like to see Caldwell start games up front.

Hibs might yet surprise us; they are a poor team in a league of poor teams. If PF can the discipline, fight and organisation right, then we might break the top six, but I think its more likely to be next season.

I know that some people see it as inevitable, but I would be very, very disappointed (and a little surprised) if we were fighting relegation again this season.

bingo70
09-08-2012, 06:39 PM
I think we'll improve from last season, if only because we've stood still while a lot of other clubs are going backwards. I think Killie and Dundee will battle for relegation. I see us being in the St Johnstone, St Mirren, ICT, M'Well pack, with the possibility of moving into the Dundee United, Hearts, A'deen grouping if we find a blend and have a good January transfer window.

The standard in SPL will be poor next season, as clubs cut their cloth accordingly. It might be more interesting than some think as some youngsters will be given a chance. I'd like to see Caldwell start games up front.

Hibs might yet surprise us; they are a poor team in a league of poor teams. If PF can the discipline, fight and organisation right, then we might break the top six, but I think its more likely to be next season.

I know that some people see it as inevitable, but I would be very, very disappointed (and a little surprised) if we were fighting relegation again this season.

I'd love to agree with you Bob but after watching that game on sunday i've got to admit i'm concerned about the season coming up.

We better hope this boy Deegan is good as i think we're pinning our hopes on him improving our god awful midfield, if he turns out to be as bad as the coventry fans suggest then i think we'll be in real bother this year

Sir David Gray
09-08-2012, 07:36 PM
I would say next season is much more realistic for looking to get into the top six.

Looking at the squad we have just now, I would expect this season to be very similar to the past two years, although it will hopefully be marginally better.

If we manage to get 7th or 8th this year, it will be progress.

allezsauzee
09-08-2012, 07:39 PM
next season, sadly it'll be top 6 of Division 1

fatbloke
10-08-2012, 11:22 AM

2013 - 2014 only if fenlon goes.