PDA

View Full Version : Reasons to be optimistic?

rcarter1
06-08-2012, 09:09 PM
Sunday we were outclassed - but were away from home to one the strongest and settled sides in the SPL.

Defending was poor - but would improve if the midfield could keep possession.

Strikers didn't do a lot - but would do more if the midfield could keep possession.

We have just bought a midfielder, and one or two more decent ones could make ALL the difference.

I genuinely believe that our current defence has the potential to be decent if afforded protection.

I think we are not too far away from being decent up front, as Doyle isn't too far away, Griffiths is good, and the youngsters might be ready to chip in. They need far better service and back up from midfield.

As many people have said many times, it is midfield that we have been over run time and time again for years. It clearly undermines the rest of the team (O'connor and Griffiths up front last season and we were still rubbish?:confused:).
People like Sproule, Stevenson, Wotherspoon and Claros are squad players with their own particular skills but none are capable of holding a midfield together - Playing all together is like having four magic bullets but no gun. They need some straight-forward, strong running, tough and solid guys around them. You can use Sproule if pace is required, Stevenson if you want someone to run about and keep possession, Claros for some creative passing, and Wotherspoon if you allow him to barge around up the wings without stressing about defensive duties.

Im fairly certain that Fenlon will be aware of our limitations in the middle. I won't give up on the season yet (regardless of what happens during the derby). There is still a bit of time transfer window wise to improve this.

I hope that Deegan is the start of this process, two more decent midfielders COULD be the catalyst required to get us out of the relegation mire, and heading towards some kind of progress.

Would help if the club were willing to go the extra mile on this, as the next two signings could be where the tide turns.

GGTTH

Liberal Hibby
06-08-2012, 09:13 PM
Reasons to be optimistic? Hearts off the top of the league?:wink:

sahib
06-08-2012, 09:33 PM
Reasons to be optimistic? Hearts off the top of the league?:wink:

At least we are not being misled by winning start. Were we not top of the league at the start of the Duffy season?
We can't get any worse, the results may be worse but it is stretching credulity to believe we could play any worse.
The Jambos must be under pressure for the next game, how bad will they feel if they lose a derby to a team as inept as ours.

spike220
06-08-2012, 09:35 PM
Sunday we were outclassed - but were away from home to one the strongest and settled sides in the SPL.

Defending was poor - but would improve if the midfield could keep possession.

Strikers didn't do a lot - but would do more if the midfield could keep possession.

We have just bought a midfielder, and one or two more decent ones could make ALL the difference.

I genuinely believe that our current defence has the potential to be decent if afforded protection.

I think we are not too far away from being decent up front, as Doyle isn't too far away, Griffiths is good, and the youngsters might be ready to chip in. They need far better service and back up from midfield.

As many people have said many times, it is midfield that we have been over run time and time again for years. It clearly undermines the rest of the team (O'connor and Griffiths up front last season and we were still rubbish?:confused:).
People like Sproule, Stevenson, Wotherspoon and Claros are squad players with their own particular skills but none are capable of holding a midfield together - Playing all together is like having four magic bullets but no gun. They need some straight-forward, strong running, tough and solid guys around them. You can use Sproule if pace is required, Stevenson if you want someone to run about and keep possession, Claros for some creative passing, and Wotherspoon if you allow him to barge around up the wings without stressing about defensive duties.

Im fairly certain that Fenlon will be aware of our limitations in the middle. I won't give up on the season yet (regardless of what happens during the derby). There is still a bit of time transfer window wise to improve this.

I hope that Deegan is the start of this process, two more decent midfielders COULD be the catalyst required to get us out of the relegation mire, and heading towards some kind of progress.

Would help if the club were willing to go the extra mile on this, as the next two signings could be where the tide turns.

GGTTH

Rod is that you?

SouthamptonHibs
06-08-2012, 09:43 PM
We'll only play Hearts three times this season twice off which will be at Easter Road they'll loose money as they don't get a big away support for a second time at Tynie

rcarter1
06-08-2012, 09:44 PM
Rod is that you?

My name IS Rod, but I don't have a tache... :greengrin