PDA

View Full Version : Last well-scouted player we found and signed?

heidtheba
06-08-2012, 04:06 PM
Not a 'shoot the scouting team and all their friends' thread but a genuine question.

Who was the last player we signed that did the following;
1/ played well and improved the team
2/ was consistent

and who
- hadn't worked with the manager before
- wasn't a former player

Now Stokes and Miller would come into that but both of them really came with reputations which suggested they would be great additions (Claros not withstanding).

So who was our last successful 'find'?

Sean1875
06-08-2012, 04:07 PM
McPake.

Andy74
06-08-2012, 04:08 PM
Not a 'shoot the scouting team and all their friends' thread but a genuine question.

2/ was consistent

and who
- wasn't a former player

Now Stokes and Miller would come into that but both of them really came with reputations which suggested they would be great additions (Claros not withstanding).

McPake?

Griffiths?

Hopefully Williams, Clancy, Cairney.

Lee
06-08-2012, 04:09 PM

2/ was consistent

and who
- wasn't a former player

Be interested to find out how many players in general are bought based on scouting recommendations these days....get the impression it's all done via agents and YouTube videos these days, certainly in Scotland!

heidtheba
06-08-2012, 04:09 PM
McPake?

Griffiths?

Hopefully Williams, Clancy, Cairney.

Shoot me now - I forgot McPake!
Apologies

LancsHibs
06-08-2012, 04:10 PM
Ivan Sproule was a gem of a find, came from nowhere, completely under the radar and for next to nothing:thumbsup:

Golden Bear
06-08-2012, 04:11 PM
Shoot me now - I forgot McPake!
Apologies

Scouted by Billy Brown if stories are to be believed.

Aubenas
06-08-2012, 04:13 PM
and who
- wasn't a former player

[/QUOTE]

Stokes played on loan for Yogi at Falkirk

Hibee Ryan
06-08-2012, 04:26 PM
Not most recent but the most successful, I can think of, are Chris Killen, Boozy, Zemmama, Benji and a very unpopular one Filipe Morais, I know he wasn't a success but he was the last winger at Hibs that got me excited and that he would do something. Most of the time he didn't but he was exciting, which I wish the current team was.

Looking at that list it seems that it was the Mowbray era that brought most of the better scouted players, but that will also have something to do with the scout that went to Celtic, I forget his name

calumhibee1
06-08-2012, 04:28 PM
Murphy

Golden Bear
06-08-2012, 04:29 PM
Not most recent but the most successful, I can think of, are Chris Killen, Boozy, Zemmama, Benji and a very unpopular one Filipe Morais, I know he wasn't a success but he was the last winger at Hibs that got me excited and that he would do something. Most of the time he didn't but he was exciting, which I wish the current team was.

Looking at that list it seems that it was the Mowbray era that brought most of the better scouted players, but that will also have something to do with the scout that went to Celtic, I forget his name

John ParK?

Lee
06-08-2012, 04:36 PM
John ParK?

:agree: No co-incidence Celtic's scouting network seems to be paying dividends these days:boo hoo:

Hibee Ryan
06-08-2012, 04:52 PM
:agree: No co-incidence Celtic's scouting network seems to be paying dividends these days:boo hoo:

Celtic seem to be plucking gems out of nowhere, Wanyama for example! This must have something to do with John Park

hibbybrian
06-08-2012, 05:15 PM

I doubt we had scouts watching them before they were signed - more likely most were promoted by agents :dunno:

John ParK?

Celtic seem to be plucking gems out of nowhere, Wanyama for example! This must have something to do with John Park

I thought John Park was in charge of the youth set-up and not involved in scouting for players :dunno:

Mikey
06-08-2012, 05:24 PM
Be interested to find out how many players in general are bought based on scouting recommendations these days....get the impression it's all done via agents and YouTube videos these days, certainly in Scotland!

You get that impression from hibs.net though. The facts don't bear that out.

hibees 7062
06-08-2012, 05:28 PM

Sure it was Larsson that told them abot him mate

jane_says
06-08-2012, 05:30 PM
Toss up between David Murphy and Boozy.

Didn't Mowbray take Boozy off at half time in a bounce game because he didn't want anyone else to find out about him?

What i'd give for him now.

Lee
06-08-2012, 05:41 PM
I thought John Park was in charge of the youth set-up and not involved in scouting for players :dunno:[/QUOTE]

Football Development Manager at Celtic - he was our Youth Academy chief, but he's in charge of the scouting system at Celtic and works with Chris McCart in recommending / arranging Academy recruitment too.

Wise move by the looks of things - we were bringing through the likes of Riordan, GOC, Brown etc when he was at Hibs and certainly seems to have an eye for a good player, judging by his involvement in bringing the likes of Ki, Emilio Izaguirre, Kayal and Wanyama to Smeltic

Lee
06-08-2012, 05:42 PM
You get that impression from hibs.net though. The facts don't bear that out.

Nah, I blame football rumors:greengrin

Elephant Stone
06-08-2012, 05:59 PM

Didn't Mowbray take Boozy off at half time in a bounce game because he didn't want anyone else to find out about him?

:agree:

The signings were excellent under Mowbray: Zemmama, Benji, Boozy, Murphy, Sproule, Shiels.

Good times.

zlatan
06-08-2012, 06:05 PM
Sure it was Larsson that told them abot him mate

Nah that was the not so successful signing Mo Bangura.

DH1875
06-08-2012, 06:41 PM
McPake.

We didn't scout and find McPake. He was touted all round the SPL and was close to signing for Dunfermline before us.

Scouted by Billy Brown if stories are to be believed.

Alan Preston is his agent so Billy Brown would or at least should have been in the know.

blaikie
06-08-2012, 06:48 PM
Elias Wagner .....

Zemamma10
06-08-2012, 07:42 PM
Back in the day when we had a bit money, Ulrik Laursen, what a find he was.

erin go bragh
06-08-2012, 07:58 PM

Was that no Latapy :cb
Now that was a gem of a find .

ggtth

DH1875
06-08-2012, 08:02 PM
Was that no Latapy :cb
Now that was a gem of a find .

ggtth

Aye, gone are the days when we're finding players from Porto or Boavista :greengrin.

MUPPET
06-08-2012, 08:38 PM
Ivan Sproule was a gem of a find, came from nowhere, completely under the radar and for next to nothing:thumbsup:

Seriously?

since90plustwo
06-08-2012, 08:58 PM
Seriously?

first time round without a doubt! Bought for 5k an sold for 500k. :agree: just a shame hes came back and undone all his good work haha

LancsHibs
06-08-2012, 08:59 PM
Seriously?

Most definitely, his finding was pure genius:agree: name me another player who was scouted from that level and had such an impact? Ivan will always be a legend after that day at Ibrox:greengrin I am of course talking about his signing the 1st time around, should not have come back now unfortunately not good enough and his reputation has been tarnished:boo hoo:

E10 Rifle
06-08-2012, 10:26 PM
De La Cruz. Doubled our money on him.

givescotlandfreedom
06-08-2012, 10:52 PM
Daniel Andersson was a great find.

Macaroon
06-08-2012, 11:02 PM
I'd have to say David Murphy.

muirhousehibby
06-08-2012, 11:18 PM
I'd have to say David Murphy.

Tony Mowbray new him don't think he came to us due to hibs scouting network:greengrin

Macaroon
07-08-2012, 01:24 AM
Tony Mowbray new him don't think he came to us due to hibs scouting network:greengrin

Hmm... I'm still gonna say David Murphy :cb

fatbloke
07-08-2012, 02:09 AM
Stuart Turnbull
Joe Ward
Eduardo Hurtado
Paul Tosh
Zibby Malkowski
Ray Wilkins
Tom Soares
Jorge Claros
Pa Kujabi
Ally Scott
Graham Fyfe

:eek:

Jeezus I am away for a lie down in a dark corner.

Andy74
07-08-2012, 08:04 AM
:agree:

The signings were excellent under Mowbray: Zemmama, Benji, Boozy, Murphy, Sproule, Shiels.

Good times.

What if you list all his signings?