PDA

View Full Version : Frustration but Overeaction

Wellbankhibby
06-08-2012, 01:02 PM
Like all Hibbies I was very dissapointed with the Result yesterday but not surprised. We all know the Manager is trying to rebuild the team, heaven knows we need it after the cup final. That game was the lowest point i personally have ever felt in all the Years I have followed Hibs. yesterday was the first game of the Season and in my opinion Utd will be the nearest challangers to celtic for the title, it was odds on we were going to lose. There were very poor performances on the day but I thought our keeper played well only fault not coming off his line and cairney played reasonably well. I agree we need a number of new players and perhaps paddy is not the Man for the job but we have to give them time. We cant keep changing managers every season. The Board wouldn,t give John Collins the money to bring in the players he wanted and they went behind his back, as for Yogi I for one thought we should have stuck with him if there were problems he should have been supported to iron these out. I agree we are all frustrated and we were totally outplayed by a Very Good Utd team but lets not overeact. Give the Players and Manager a little bit of time to try and get it right. :aok:

Baldy Foghorn
06-08-2012, 01:05 PM
Like all Hibbies I was very dissapointed with the Result yesterday but not surprised. We all know the Manager is trying to rebuild the team, heaven knows we need it after the cup final. That game was the lowest point i personally have ever felt in all the Years I have followed Hibs. yesterday was the first game of the Season and in my opinion Utd will be the nearest challangers to celtic for the title, it was odds on we were going to lose. There were very poor performances on the day but I thought our keeper played well only fault not coming off his line and cairney played reasonably well. I agree we need a number of new players and perhaps paddy is not the Man for the job but we have to give them time. We cant keep changing managers every season. The Board wouldn,t give John Collins the money to bring in the players he wanted and they went behind his back, as for Yogi I for one thought we should have stuck with him if there were problems he should have been supported to iron these out. I agree we are all frustrated and we were totally outplayed by a Very Good Utd team but lets not overeact. Give the Players and Manager a little bit of time to try and get it right. :aok:

How much time do we allow??? We are on the back of two woeful season's, and we still as a team, cant do the basic fundementals.......It is soul destroying watching our club, being this bad.........It can't continue in this vein......

Steve20
06-08-2012, 01:10 PM
It's not an overeaction. We've been crap for about 4/5 seasons now.

MrSmith
06-08-2012, 01:16 PM
I like your optimism, however, too many are talking about Dundee Utd. as if they were Rangers or Celtic! We seem to be making excuses based on this type of reasoning that they are potentially 2nd place candidates! The problem is that we should be competing with Dundee Utd. on every level and even above it but, we are not! I like PF and hope he will turn things around. However, whatever is going on at Hibs right now, it is not nearly good enough. For too long the playing staff has been left to deteriorate without any real investment or thought as to what the team needs are! No more do we have a Micky Weir, John Collins, Paul Kane, Pat McGinlay, Franck Sauzzee or the likes who would roll up their sleeves when the going got tough and put in a shift to get us back on par! Enough is most certainly enough for most and there is now, no excuses!

Andy74
06-08-2012, 01:19 PM
It's not an overeaction. We've been crap for about 4/5 seasons now.

Do you not think that's rather the point - at some stage someone needs tasked with sorting that out.

We can't keep using that against someone who inherited the issue and did not cause it.

If we want to try and help then we need to back the changes being made, not creating a whole new mess by trying to get rid of another manager and starting the whole process again.

Swindonfan
06-08-2012, 01:35 PM
I think the understandable frustration is to end one season the worst way ever. And to start the next and look worse. From the cries of the manager to say i know i have alot of work to do and i will do it. To feel nothing has been done at all and with GOC gone its like its even worse.

Also Hibs fans have every right to ask if other clubs in the SPL who will have lower budgets as they have lower crowds than Hibs can put out teams who play with commitment, are organised and here and there have players with talent, why are we not doing the same.

Hibs are a fantastic football club, with a great stadium, and a great training center, thou it seems no one knows what they actually do there. But the most important thing at any club, the team, has been forgotten about or worse really the board have just thrown pennies at it and said that will do you.

I know a Hibs AGM stand for Away Goes Manager, as they all go just before it. But surely the board are gonna get roasted at the next AGM if they dont look to help the manager do something.

Steve20
06-08-2012, 01:42 PM
Do you not think that's rather the point - at some stage someone needs tasked with sorting that out.

We can't keep using that against someone who inherited the issue and did not cause it.

If we want to try and help then we need to back the changes being made, not creating a whole new mess by trying to get rid of another manager and starting the whole process again.

I don't want us to get rid of the manager. I don't rate Fenlon at all, but there would be no point in changing manager again while there are people higher up than him who have no real interest in making us better.

HibsMax
06-08-2012, 01:50 PM
It's not overreaction in terms of Hibs over the past several years but it is an overreaction in terms of this season which is only one game old. What I mean by that is that while it's disappointing to witness what we all did on Sunday, that doesn't mean we should just assume the season is over and Div 1 beckons. If things remain as bad as yesterday, yes, that will happen. But with 111 points to play for I would say that talk of relegation battles are premature (even though they may very well end up to be correct).

The point is, we absolutely need to get better and quickly!

Johnforr
06-08-2012, 01:54 PM
It's not overreaction in terms of Hibs over the past several years but it is an overreaction in terms of this season which is only one game old. What I mean by that is that while it's disappointing to witness what we all did on Sunday, that doesn't mean we should just assume the season is over and Div 1 beckons. If things remain as bad as yesterday, yes, that will happen. But with 111 points to play for I would say that talk of relegation battles are premature (even though they may very well end up to be correct).

The point is, we absolutely need to get better and quickly!

That was one of the poorest Hibs performances I have eer seen and I've seen a few , Cup Final included.
This needs to be sorted now ..... get manager the cash he needs now ..... Sir Tom dip in pocket time or the club may well disappear ......... cos if the fans do disappear that will follow as sure as .

HFC 0-7
06-08-2012, 01:58 PM

dont think anyone is expecting us to be winning championships and pumping teams, I think all we are asking for is improvement, signs of improvements. there hasnt been any. the worrying thing is that there wasnt anymore fight in that display yesterday than we had last season. something that was probably number one on the managers to do list, and he said it himself.

JimBHibees
06-08-2012, 02:05 PM
dont think anyone is expecting us to be winning championships and pumping teams, I think all we are asking for is improvement, signs of improvements. there hasnt been any. the worrying thing is that there wasnt anymore fight in that display yesterday than we had last season. something that was probably number one on the managers to do list, and he said it himself.

This was only the first game lets see how we sit at the end of the month and a few games and hopefully some decent signings. It was certainly poor however the nature of the opposition needs to be taken into account also.

HFC 0-7
06-08-2012, 02:13 PM
This was only the first game lets see how we sit at the end of the month and a few games and hopefully some decent signings. It was certainly poor however the nature of the opposition needs to be taken into account also.

Im basing it on Fenlon whole tenure, from when he took over from Calderwood. Fenlon hasnt improved us IMO. The display was terrible, if there was ever a game where improvement needed to be shown, the fight and attitude that the manager has talked about, it was yesterday. fenlon said it himself, how important it was to get off to a good start. Dundee Utd are a good team, but lets not get carried away and think they are some kind of world beaters because they arent. They are just a strong team that do that basics well, with maybe one or 2 good players. they are organised, something we havent been for some time.

JimBHibees
06-08-2012, 02:54 PM
Im basing it on Fenlon whole tenure, from when he took over from Calderwood. Fenlon hasnt improved us IMO. The display was terrible, if there was ever a game where improvement needed to be shown, the fight and attitude that the manager has talked about, it was yesterday. fenlon said it himself, how important it was to get off to a good start. Dundee Utd are a good team, but lets not get carried away and think they are some kind of world beaters because they arent. They are just a strong team that do that basics well, with maybe one or 2 good players. they are organised, something we havent been for some time.

Personally think we did improve to the end of the season however not massively. I think his signings are better however we undoubtedly need more and he knows that. He needs time to change and the patience of the fans to allow him the chance to do this however you are right we should be seeing better than yesterday showed.

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-08-2012, 03:16 PM
Anyone out there who is genuinely surprised by Sunday's result? We are all annoyed and feeling let down, but that is not the same thing.

HFC 0-7
06-08-2012, 03:19 PM
Personally think we did improve to the end of the season however not massively. I think his signings are better however we undoubtedly need more and he knows that. He needs time to change and the patience of the fans to allow him the chance to do this however you are right we should be seeing better than yesterday showed.

I would give him longer, however, I dont think its an overeaction from a lot of people because Fenlon had talked so much about the mentality and fight that we all believed it would happen. Hopefully Fenlon will be going through them at training for not listening or carrying out the game plan and we will see a reaction at the weekend, however, I am not looking forward to the derby. this derby has come at completely the wrong time, as, if we get beaten without any real fight, the club will have even more angry fans.

HibsMax
06-08-2012, 03:26 PM
Anyone out there who is genuinely surprised by Sunday's result? We are all annoyed and feeling let down, but that is not the same thing.

I was shocked by the display more than the result. We could have lost 3-0 in a fashion thaty would have left me feeling happy e.g., well, we got humped but we are moving in the right direction. As it was.......:rolleyes:

basehibby
06-08-2012, 04:36 PM

Lets not underplay Dundee Utd either - a good side with established players and style who, if we want to put down a marker, had just narrowly failed to beat CSKA Moscow on the thusrday - obviously a side firing on all cylinders despite the early stage of the season.

Hibs? - a team in the midst of reconstruction having stripped itself to the bone following a disastrous campaign. What we started with on Sunday was basically our 2 best loan performers thankfully re-recruited along with the best of our youngsters and a couple of new recruits making their debuts. We are very obviously at least a few players short of anything that could be considered a team capable of competing for a top 6 berth.

If you want to criticise the club for not being more ready for the big KO then that's fair enough - but I think that criticism should be aimed elsewhere in the club - I have no doubt the manager would have loved to have started Sunday's match with all his shopping done, but the approach to recruitment being taken by Hibs this summer is nothing new and I will be amazed if we are still not doing transfer business at 11:55pm on the 31st of August.

Amit
06-08-2012, 05:21 PM
We have been murder since 2007. Wasted a lot money on players over the last five years. Most of which are no longer at the club. If there is no progress this season, I suspect more fans will desert Easter Road.

HFC 0-7
06-08-2012, 07:07 PM
Lets not underplay Dundee Utd either - a good side with established players and style who, if we want to put down a marker, had just narrowly failed to beat CSKA Moscow on the thusrday - obviously a side firing on all cylinders despite the early stage of the season.

Hibs? - a team in the midst of reconstruction having stripped itself to the bone following a disastrous campaign. What we started with on Sunday was basically our 2 best loan performers thankfully re-recruited along with the best of our youngsters and a couple of new recruits making their debuts. We are very obviously at least a few players short of anything that could be considered a team capable of competing for a top 6 berth.

If you want to criticise the club for not being more ready for the big KO then that's fair enough - but I think that criticism should be aimed elsewhere in the club - I have no doubt the manager would have loved to have started Sunday's match with all his shopping done, but the approach to recruitment being taken by Hibs this summer is nothing new and I will be amazed if we are still not doing transfer business at 11:55pm on the 31st of August.

i keep hearing about the scale of the re build and I agree is is a big task, but many other teams in the spl have had a lot of players leave in the close season. St Mirren have lost 16 players, St johnstone have lost 15 players, Motherwell 14 players, Kilmarnock 14 players, ICT 11 players. We should be focussing on creating a matchday team at this moment not a squad. We should, IMO, have had a capable team ready to go for the start of the season and at the very least have whatever we have organised to play the way the manager wanted, we didnt. I thinks its the manager fault if the team isnt ready for KO, both with player recruitment and having whatever we have got in terms of players organised. The former could be down to other factors as well but certainly the latter is all the managers responsibility.

I am not calling for fenlon to be sacked, I am just saying that this reaction of questioning whats going on is perhaps not an over-reaction and is warranted as the lack of basics which haunted us last season along with decent players seems to still be an issue.

Saorsa
06-08-2012, 07:11 PM

If we want to try and help then we need to back the changes being made, not creating a whole new mess by trying to get rid of another manager and starting the whole process again.but we should be getting rid of the person who has caused it, he's still here while others have continually taken the fall.

LeighLoyal
06-08-2012, 07:22 PM
The one thing nobody is mentioning is the lack of youth coming through, we've got a few promising lads just now but nothing much since the Mowbray era.

SouthamptonHibs
06-08-2012, 07:30 PM
Defo not an over reaction. As long as we play Stevenson, Sproule, Wotherspoon, Stephens plus Kajabi Carlos we are going no where. Players should have been purchased in time for pre season. None off these guys are good enough for Hibs. Pat Fenlon should be playing the kids if there any good rather than playing these players. Pat also has alot to answer for after yesterday. Playing Hanlon LB, starting wi Stephens playing Doyle LM playing tactics that envoled humping the ball up to Leigh Griffiths. We've had plenty of time to sort out our problems but as usual we r waiting for bargins appearing on 31st Aug. As i said months ago when fixtures came out Hibs have one chance to get the feel good factor back and thats this weekend v Hearts. If/when we get beat expect 6k crowds for rest off the season. ****ing Hibs they drive people crazy wi there signing policy.

SouthamptonHibs
06-08-2012, 07:35 PM
The one thing nobody is mentioning is the lack of youth coming through, we've got a few promising lads just now but nothing much since the Mowbray era.

I think it's down to the coaches. Since we lost Donald Park and John Parks think to Celtic we have brought zero players through that are decent. (not classing Booth Wotherspoon or Stevenson as decent). I went to the Pompey v Boltin game on Sat pompey beat a full strength Bolton 3v0 with a team made up off kids. There all on cheap wages there fast fit strong technically good and with Appleton as manager playing football the right way. If you have the right coaching set up in place its easy to bring through the youth

Captain Trips
06-08-2012, 08:25 PM
1yr: ago we need time, 2yrs: ago we need time, now: we need time.

Board have had plenty of time and still we are at the we need time stage, way past time that the people running club realised time has run out. There are no excuses for where we are other than gross misconduct at a high level.

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2012, 08:44 PM

Board have had plenty of time and still we are at the we need time stage, way past time that the people running club realised time has run out. There are no excuses for where we are other than gross misconduct at a high level.

Yet the reaction to sundays result is a knee jerk reaction apparently? :rolleyes:

HibsMax
06-08-2012, 08:53 PM
Yet the reaction to sundays result is a knee jerk reaction apparently? :rolleyes:

1. The reaction to yesterday's result in terms of the last few years - NOT a knee jerk reaction.
2. The reaction to yesterday's result in terms of the remainder of this season - a knee jerk reaction.

The difference is very subtle. Fans have every reason to be concerned at seeing no improvement over last year BUT it's only 1 game with another 37 to go so, IMO, talk of relegation battles is a knee jerk reaction. I agree that a relegation battle is a real possibility IF we continue on this path and one could make that assumption based on yesterday's result but perhaps we can get our **** together with the help of another couple of signings (since the window is still open).

HibsMax
06-08-2012, 08:55 PM

Hibs, as a club, have had plenty of time and you're right, we should be in a much better position now than we are. BUT, there has been so much turmoil over the past few years (I'm sure you've noticed) and I am of the opinion that each time we appoint a new manager we have to reset the clock. I don't like the situation any more than you do but I think it's only fair that we give the new guy some time. That doesn't mean I am giving the board more time but I am giving the team more time.

AlbertK86
06-08-2012, 09:03 PM

Andy for once I agree with you that Pat needs time ...

However I think he could have had better support in bringing in more of his targets quicker .... IE before the season kicked off.

We have got rid of 15 players and only had 5 new in for the first game !!

The maths meant we were forced to play players who couldn't even get a game last year in what must be the worst team we have had since Jim Duffy was in charge

Surely targets were identified months before the end of the season

Still hoping PF gets at least another 4 quality bods of his choice in but I aint holdin ma breath

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2012, 09:08 PM
1. The reaction to yesterday's result in terms of the last few years - NOT a knee jerk reaction.
2. The reaction to yesterday's result in terms of the remainder of this season - a knee jerk reaction.

The difference is very subtle. Fans have every reason to be concerned at seeing no improvement over last year BUT it's only 1 game with another 37 to go so, IMO, talk of relegation battles is a knee jerk reaction. I agree that a relegation battle is a real possibility IF we continue on this path and one could make that assumption based on yesterday's result but perhaps we can get our **** together with the help of another couple of signings (since the window is still open).

Its groundhog day.

Captain Trips
06-08-2012, 10:05 PM
Hibs, as a club, have had plenty of time and you're right, we should be in a much better position now than we are. BUT, there has been so much turmoil over the past few years (I'm sure you've noticed) and I am of the opinion that each time we appoint a new manager we have to reset the clock. I don't like the situation any more than you do but I think it's only fair that we give the new guy some time. That doesn't mean I am giving the board more time but I am giving the team more time.

Needs cleared out I think a lot agree the board are at fault it is the manager situation that is mixed. Board have failed and unfortunatly PF for me isnt right. Giving more time is wasting time, it is time for the lot to go.

Beefster
07-08-2012, 02:04 AM

No offence but I've been reading on here for about two years about how we should wait to see how the next few games pan out.

whiskyhibby
07-08-2012, 08:11 AM

Spot on mate............this board is depressing enough without trying to boot out a manager 1 game into the season

ahibby
07-08-2012, 08:31 AM
Definitely not an over reaction by my standards. This isn't one game but the continuation of a downward spiral. Some fans can see no light at the end of the tunnel. Some appear to see light that simply is not there and never will be under the current set up. Don't wait until the boat sinks before trying to put it right.

JimBHibees
07-08-2012, 09:10 AM
No offence but I've been reading on here for about two years about how we should wait to see how the next few games pan out.

Yep you need to at least give the manager a chance to realistically change the team before shouting for him to be sacked. What is the alternative sack a manager whenever we suffer a bad loss? Personally think there was some improvement towards the end of the season final apart. PF IMO comes over pretty well and his record albeit at a different level is a very good one. We are suffering at present from a string of short term managers who were pretty poor. Fenlon at least needs the opportunity to bring his own in whether he is hamstrung by the budget in doing that properly is another thing. For what its worth I think his signings have been pretty good and hope he can bring in more who will improve the team. We are in transition at preset and played a pretty much totally settled team on Sunday who showed up exactly how far behind we were. I think we arent quite as bad as we showed there however personally dont think for PF it was an altogether disastrous thing that this performance happened within the window, he now should have more leeway to change the team if he can go to RP and say look how much improvement is still required.

JimBHibees
07-08-2012, 09:11 AM
Definitely not an over reaction by my standards. This isn't one game but the continuation of a downward spiral. Some fans can see no light at the end of the tunnel. Some appear to see light that simply is not there and never will be under the current set up. Don't wait until the boat sinks before trying to put it right.

Do you not think his signings thus far are reasonable ones and will only get better when they are settled and playing games?

offshorehibby
07-08-2012, 09:45 AM
Andy for once I agree with you that Pat needs time ...

However I think he could have had better support in bringing in more of his targets quicker .... IE before the season kicked off.

We have got rid of 15 players and only had 5 new in for the first game !!

The maths meant we were forced to play players who couldn't even get a game last year in what must be the worst team we have had since Jim Duffy was in charge

Surely targets were identified months before the end of the season

Still hoping PF gets at least another 4 quality bods of his choice in but I aint holdin ma breath

By all accounts targets were identified they either did not want to come to Hibs or their terms were absolutely ridicules. I think some Hibbys think all Hibs have to do is click their fingers and players will come running to the cause.

ahibby
07-08-2012, 09:47 AM
Do you not think his signings thus far are reasonable ones and will only get better when they are settled and playing games?

Lets assume that all of them are the right kind of player to push for a top six position and Sunday was the first step to getting them to gel. My concern is that PF still has to prove that he can organise and instill the belief in a team to at least get close to stifling the oppostion. I think he will get results against bottom six teams but we are facing tankings from the top teams. There is no sign yet that things will improve. I hope they do and I am committed for this season and if things do improve to the extent that by next March April we are closer to top six than bottom then I'll commit again next season.

ahibby
07-08-2012, 09:54 AM

You are right. Hanging on to long to something that isn't working could be just as disastrous if not more, than taking action early. I am sure PF will get results against bottom six teams and that will pacify us to an extent. As soon as it becomes apparent that he can't improve us or is making us worse then he should go. I'd love to see a gradual improvement but Sunday gave no optimism that's going to happen. There should have been some small sign there, just wasn't anything to take from that game though.

HibsMax
07-08-2012, 11:46 AM
Its groundhog day.

Not quite. Bill Murray's character is different every time.

HibsMax
07-08-2012, 11:48 AM
Needs cleared out I think a lot agree the board are at fault it is the manager situation that is mixed. Board have failed and unfortunatly PF for me isnt right. Giving more time is wasting time, it is time for the lot to go.

That is true but each time we've had a new manager. Maybe that's the boards ploy....keep changing the manager, reset the clock and look for more time. That's ok once or twice but now it's becoming a standing joke.

blackpoolhibs
07-08-2012, 11:51 AM
Not quite. Bill Murray's character is different every time.

Aye you are right, wish the team were. :boo hoo:

HibsMax
07-08-2012, 12:51 PM
Aye you are right, wish the team were. :boo hoo:

Lol. Some of them are. And I feel that if we could have had more success with our casting calls, more of the characters would be different.

Captain Trips
07-08-2012, 05:34 PM
That is true but each time we've had a new manager. Maybe that's the boards ploy....keep changing the manager, reset the clock and look for more time. That's ok once or twice but now it's becoming a standing joke.

Indeed, but I certainly do not stop the clock and reset but that is what they may do and it has bought them to long. As a total aside pn PF regardless of the situation I felt and still do feel he isnt going to do the job for us that is why I think a clearout is needed, not the board not the manger but the whole lot.

Hibeesforever
07-08-2012, 06:09 PM

Losing mentality, hope you don't take this view at the beginning of Sunday's match.

Any Hibs defeat should be unacceptable, the decline has gone on for too long and the next generation is in danger of being lost. Imagine taking you child to the Cup final and then up to Dundee Utd, what would you say ? It is okay because we were one of the big clubs in Scotland in the Seventies......not good enough, change right through the club is needed.

I back the manager and he needs to be backed with money from the board.

HibsMax
07-08-2012, 06:16 PM
Indeed, but I certainly do not stop the clock and reset but that is what they may do and it has bought them to long. As a total aside pn PF regardless of the situation I felt and still do feel he isnt going to do the job for us that is why I think a clearout is needed, not the board not the manger but the whole lot.

I am slowly coming around to the same frame of mind as many others. I've never asked for the board to be removed but when you change everything else and things are still broken then questions have to be asked of that last remaining component. We're either picking the wrong people for the managerial position or we're picking the right people but not giving them the support they need. The final option, which I don't give much weight to, is that we've just been terribly unlucky. So yeah, two options really. If it's the first problem then that can easily be fixed by picking the RIGHT person. If it's the latter problem then we're Donald Ducked because potential candidates are going to see what has happened with the past few managers and ask the question, "What the F! is wrong at Hibs?", and, "What can I hope to achieve if I am essentially going be playing with one hand tied behind my back?"

Options?

Sack the board? I'm not sold on that unless suitable replacements can be found as well as a pot of gold.
Ask the board to re-evaluate the situation, recognise what is going on and do SOMETHING to reverse the trend.
Hope we get lucky.

All of that said I am STILL of the mind that this season is far from over. One game is not a trend (not including last season's results - conveniently you might say). Let's see where we are once we've had a chance to compare ourselves with the rest of the opposition. I know that I have said that in previous years but I want to see how this team shapes up over the coming month or two.

The last straw for me would be :
1. Hibs not strengthening the team before the end of the window,
2. Hibs being bottom of the table come Christmas,
3. Hibs not strengthening the team before the end of the January window.

Sorry if people think that I am slow to the party but everyone has different breaking points. That would be mine.

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-08-2012, 07:32 PM
Anyone out there who is genuinely surprised by Sunday's result?
No, which tells us all we need to know about the general malaise surrounding the club these days.

ahibby
08-08-2012, 08:44 AM
No, which tells us all we need to know about the general malaise surrounding the club these days.

I think PF might have been surprised. He chose four out and out defenders in Clancy, Stephens, McPake and Hanlon as opposed to your Kujabis who like to maraud the wing. Despite that there were holes in the defence for all to see. Big Stephens had huge defending shortfalls for all to see last season, while O'Hanlon had a very good game at Aberdeen. Why Stephens is worth another go in central defence at the moment is beyond me and pre - season should have been the time that PF noticed qualities. He doesn't appear to have.