PDA

View Full Version : Official Site: Open Training Session at Easter Road

RSS Bot
06-08-2012, 12:50 PM
All supporters invited, Wednesday, 2pm

More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20120806/open-training-session-at-easter-road_2262950_2873186)

Barney McGrew
06-08-2012, 12:55 PM
Excellent, a chance to go along and shout at them for not trying hard enough :whistle:

:wink:

BEEJ
06-08-2012, 12:57 PM
I predict a riot .....

down-the-slope
06-08-2012, 01:00 PM
i'd love to see the faces if PF asks for a couple of volunteers to join in :greengrin...cue a few fat barsteward heart attacks.....

goosefat
06-08-2012, 01:02 PM
I assume it will be off if it's raining.

Players won't want to get those PSP's and iPhones wet.

GreenCastle
06-08-2012, 01:04 PM
Great - good to see them trying to establish better fan / player relationships.

Will be heading down to see us work on the long ball :wink:

SMAXXA
06-08-2012, 01:05 PM
i'd love to see the faces if PF asks for a couple of volunteers to join in :greengrin...cue a few fat barsteward heart attacks.....

:thumbsup:

We should ask for a take on, fans against first team, that should dent their confidence even more, 4-1 to the fans, Frank Dougan OG for the shot shy Hibs first team :greengrin

Just_Jimmy
06-08-2012, 01:05 PM
Good. Fans have asked for it. The board and PF have responded. I cant go due to work but i hope the turnout is decent.

goosefat
06-08-2012, 01:11 PM
Good. Fans have asked for it. The board and PF have responded. I cant go due to work but i hope the turnout is decent.

Do you mean the crowd or players?

Leishy1995
06-08-2012, 01:11 PM

We should ask for a take on, fans against first team, that should dent their confidence even more, 4-1 to the fans, Frank Dougan OG for the shot shy Hibs first team :greengrin

I shotgun right wing. I want to teach the left back a lesson.

Aaron
06-08-2012, 01:19 PM
The negativity on this forum is astounding - the supporters wanted it and our club has provided it. I think it is a great idea and I hope those that can make it will be there to show their support.

reidy
06-08-2012, 01:54 PM
The club have done the right thing here. People are wondering what they actually do at east mains and now they have a chance to see what they do

Hamish
06-08-2012, 02:19 PM
The negativity on this forum is astounding - the supporters wanted it and our club has provided it. I think it is a great idea and I hope those that can make it will be there to show their support.

:agree:

Gala Foxes
06-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Hopefully there will be a session on getting corners past the first defender and in to the 6 yard box

blaikie
06-08-2012, 05:30 PM

Long as they have paid for there ST's Petrie won't care!

sbell1875
06-08-2012, 05:39 PM
All supporters invited, Wednesday, 2pm

More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20120806/open-training-session-at-easter-road_2262950_2873186)

Will be unable to attend due to work but I am happy to see this announced.

Anyway to make the squad and the fans connect is never a bad idea and I hope there is a decent turn out.

Takes my mind back to a Hibs Kid open day at least 9 or 10 years ago when I took my kid sister along to the open training session and she tucked the ball nicely in the corner beyond Tony Caig. She was only 10 at the time.

Lee
06-08-2012, 05:48 PM

:top marks

Hopefully something the club will do more often if we get a decent (and positive!) turnout. I'll be working away on Wednesday, but I'd love to have went along.

Mark79
06-08-2012, 06:00 PM
Might take a late lunch. Im guessing it will be done for 2:30.

S.sct
06-08-2012, 06:21 PM
The club have done the right thing here. People are wondering what they actually do at east mains and now they have a chance to see what they do

But the training is at ER.....Do you really think they will train or behave in the same way?
Sorry to be negative but I am past all this *****, the club are simply playing lip service to fans (who asked for this).

zlatan
06-08-2012, 06:22 PM
Seems a bit last minute in comparison to the big open days they had when I was a kid.

hibs supporter
06-08-2012, 08:36 PM
would like to see what they work on because they don't play like they have a gameplan every weekend

HibsMax
06-08-2012, 08:41 PM
Hopefully there will be a session on getting corners past the first defender and in to the 6 yard box

This!!!!!!!! Eventually teams will just start kicking the ball behind their own goals because they know it's coming right back to them.

HibsMax
06-08-2012, 08:43 PM
But the training is at ER.....Do you really think they will train or behave in the same way?
Sorry to be negative but I am past all this *****, the club are simply playing lip service to fans (who asked for this).

FANS OUTRAGED IN "GET WHAT THEY ASK FOR" SHOCKER

oregonhibby
06-08-2012, 08:44 PM
I hope Pat Fenlon is watching the Canada v USA women's match at the olympics.

Skill, commitment, tactics and goals. 3 -3 in extra time.

Fife-Hibee
06-08-2012, 08:51 PM
How much is it to get in ? :-)

HibsMax
06-08-2012, 08:56 PM
How much is it to get in ? :-)
Free if you bring your own boots.

Hibeesforever
06-08-2012, 09:16 PM

Hilarious line. Great idea from the management. However, these things can backfire if they are just used to sign a few autographs. I hope PF is tough, we need an Eddie Turnbull manager type not, he would never allow training to be light-hearted. Need to train with the same intensity as a game. And the up coming game is as important as any. I don't think I have ever been so worried about a derby result.

S.sct
06-08-2012, 09:20 PM
FANS OUTRAGED IN "GET WHAT THEY ASK FOR" SHOCKER

Your right, i also asked for half decent entertainment on a Saturday but still waiting.

If Hibs supporters wanted this then fair enough, enjoy.

Stantons Angel
06-08-2012, 09:33 PM

Exactly what i was thinking!

You asked for it and you have got it. In all the years i have followed my team i have never seen a board bend over backwards trying to appease supporters so much as this one. BUT still you moan, one poster is glad of the chance to go along and "shout at them for not trying harder", How negative is that? Another poster hopes for a good old fashioned "take on", im sure they would last 10mins and collapse in a heap!

For goodness sake lets get behind the team, no matter how bad we think they are they are still playing in that green and white shirt of HIBERNIAN....... The present team is full of new players and home grown youngsters. We have been given a chance to welcome them to our stadium. Listening to abuse resounding around an empty stadium is hardly good encouragement for Sunday's derby and will give again negative vibes from support to the players! We had too much of that last season!

I realise we are only one game into the season and find ourselves in the too familiar place of bottom of the league. BUT we have to stop the negativity and TRY and put last season behind us and push on for the season ahead TOGETHER with the team.

We cant keep changing managers and clearing out players every year. This season especially we all have to carry the leftover of the Rangers fiasco,there is no money anywhere to buy, buy buy!!

Get behind them now and show the faith you have in HIBERNIAN by supporting your team!

BEEJ
06-08-2012, 09:45 PM

You asked for it and you have got it. In all the years i have followed my team i have never seen a board bend over backwards trying to appease supporters so much as this one. BUT still you moan, one poster is glad of the chance to go along and "shout at them for not trying harder", How negative is that? Another poster hopes for a good old fashioned "take on", im sure they would last 10mins and collapse in a heap!

If that's a reference to posts #2 and #7 on this thread, then you're showing signs of having undergone a sense of humour triple bypass.

For some, black comedy is a way of dealing with unpallatable situations. I think you and others on here are a bit over-sensitive and have missed the joke. :wink:

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2012, 09:51 PM
Personally even if i still lived in Leith i wouldn't go and watch them train. I'm finding it hard enough to watch them when there's a match on.

GreenCastle
06-08-2012, 09:56 PM
Should be interesting to see what they do - usually most open training sessions are quite light hearted with simple warm ups and possession games.

Could possibly backfire with such an important game on Sunday - every day this week is vital to prepare for the derby - for such short notice must have only been decided on the back of yesterdays result?

PatHead
06-08-2012, 10:07 PM
Wonder if they will introduce any new signings at this event? Great marketing opportunity!

J-C
06-08-2012, 10:08 PM
You think someones been reading this forum, mentioned a few times that certain players aren't enjoying the training as it's very basic, then suddenly out of the blue, an open training day at ER. :wink:

Patatango
06-08-2012, 10:11 PM
[QUOTE=Stantons Angel;3316791]Exactly what i was thinking!

Think the only thing most fans have been asking of the board is a team that competes on the pitch. Sadly, that's no happened for the last 5 years or so.

c31
06-08-2012, 10:20 PM
[QUOTE=Stantons Angel;3316791]Exactly what i was thinking!

Think the only thing most fans have been asking of the board is a team that competes on the pitch. Sadly, that's no happened for the last 5 years or so.

Previous boards haven't needed to appease the fans as this lot do, they are paid £thousands to run the football club but need to ask the fans how to do their job which I find pathetic. Felon would struggle as he is not the answer to our problems and till a proper football structure is in place we are looking at a very poor not only season but seasons. The club required not only major investments but a radical restructure of the senior management.

Stantons Angel
06-08-2012, 10:47 PM
If that's a reference to posts #2 and #7 on this thread, then you're showing signs of having undergone a sense of humour triple bypass.

For some, black comedy is a way of dealing with unpallatable situations. I think you and others on here are a bit over-sensitive and have missed the joke. :wink:

Didnt mean to upset you and i agree humor is a way of coping with unacceptable situations like we are in at the moment. I was only using the two references to show the differing ways we deal with our current problems..

BUT id do believe there will be some idiots attending this session thinking they can use it to shout abuse at the players and manager and show off in front of their friends.

Its an important week in the build up to the derby and i just hope the supporters attending give the players the encouragement they need.

Hibby70
06-08-2012, 11:13 PM
"but boss, where do we plug in the playstation?"

Hermit Crab
06-08-2012, 11:16 PM
"but boss, where do we plug in the playstation?"

Funny that, I've thought about that a few times today, Fenlons tactics devised on FIFA 12 at east mains during the lunch hour ;)

Lucius Apuleius
07-08-2012, 05:15 AM
[QUOTE=Patatango;3316835]

Previous boards haven't needed to appease the fans as this lot do, they are paid £thousands to run the football club but need to ask the fans how to do their job which I find pathetic. Felon would struggle as he is not the answer to our problems and till a proper football structure is in place we are looking at a very poor not only season but seasons. The club required not only major investments but a radical restructure of the senior management.

Seen us relegated twice. Think these boards and managers had more explaining to do than this one.

The Falcon
07-08-2012, 06:08 AM
For those that go along please dont complain that we didnt work on our set piece routines other than very basic stuff as we are not going to in a public training session with a game coming up on Sunday.

JimBHibees
07-08-2012, 06:21 AM
Personally even if i still lived in Leith i wouldn't go and watch them train. I'm finding it hard enough to watch them when there's a match on.

Lighten up man the season has just started and we are going to roger the Hearts on Sunday. :greengrin

The Falcon
07-08-2012, 06:41 AM

Dont you think we should let Fenlon try and do it?

Brightside
07-08-2012, 07:33 AM
Id cancel this. Take all dead ball players aside and get them to practice corners and free-kicks for 12 hours a day. Its shocking that a professional footballer cant take a corner. If these players cared a jot about the team they would be putting in the extra practice outside of training. They are not fit enough, and lacking in the basic abilities required to play football. It really is THAT BAD. BRING BACK COLLINS ASAP.

Cabbage East
08-08-2012, 08:35 AM
Nice day for it :greengrin

Phil MaGlass
08-08-2012, 01:09 PM
Dunno what all the fuss is about over an open training session, in Holland its a normal thing, the first open training sessions can have a good few thousand turning up with banners, flares and singing, making it an enjoyable couple of hours, to give the team support for the season ahead. Maybe this is an idea for next season? Its not about appeasing the fans, its about bringing the club closer to the fans...
Mind you, fans have used the odd open training sessions to vent their anger and basically give the slackers a kick up the erse.

http://www.vandaagenmorgen.nl/sport/voetbal/1652-feyenoord-fans-massaal-naar-1e-training.html

GreenCastle
08-08-2012, 03:44 PM
Just back - glorious day for it! Pitch and stadium as always looked good.

The session involved using half the pitch - the players doing some passing moving practice in a diamond shape furthur away then closer together.

The players then went up towards the south stand and did some agility footwork, before coming back and doing a 6v2 keep ball in boxes - typical thing you see pro teams doing. Was 2 touch then 1 touch - we looked better when one touch! O'Brien and PF were looking over and serving balls in. Players spirits seemed high and seems like a good bond is developing.

They then went into a crossing and finishing practice in front of the Famous Five - right footers - Sproule, Maybury and Clancy crossing from right. Stevenson and Kujabi on the left. 2 players started edge of the box and attacked the crosses. After the first 3 attempts being shocking the standard improved. Crosses were actually pretty good - finishing was mixed - Claros, LG and McPake scoring a few screamers though.

Then went into an 8v8 with 1 neutral 2/3 touch game half pitch - just wider than penalty box width. LG scored another screamer and Williams in goals made some excellent saves. Williams will be a big player for us this season (prediction player of the season for us!) - love his talking and seems to be a winner/leader also (all we need is a solid defense in front of him). They played 2 or 3 - 7 min games then split with defenders did a bit of defensive heading from long balls into the box - while the strikers went with GK coach and did a short and sharp shooting practice in front of the FF stand - some excellent finishing at times.

Players then came across and signed autographs.

Maybe 600 people there - food stalls were open selling the usual over priced food / drink - but overall a good idea to show how the players train but still not sure about the timing of this.

Now to just do the business on the pitch!

Final notes - Deegan looks strong and showed some good things - could be Matty Jack 2 - Stevens also trains better than he players and LG is a natural finisher - reminds me of Riordan so much - glad he came back as we will need his quality up top. Kujabi isn't as bad as many make out on here - he had a shocker in the final but should be at LB. Claros has quality - we just need to find a way to make it work in games. Liam O' Brien seems to run the training sessions with Fenlon just over seeing but still fully involved.

JimBHibees
08-08-2012, 03:54 PM

The session involved using half the pitch - the players doing some passing moving practice in a diamond shape furthur away then closer together.

The players then went up towards the south stand and did some agility footwork, before coming back and doing a 6v2 keep ball in boxes - typical thing you see pro teams doing. Was 2 touch then 1 touch - we looked better when one touch! O'Brien and PF were looking over and serving balls in. Players spirits seemed high and seems like a good bond is developing.

They then went into a crossing and finishing practice in front of the Famous Five - right footers - Sproule, Maybury and Clancy crossing from right. Stevenson and Kujabi on the left. 2 players started edge of the box and attacked the crosses. After the first 3 attempts being shocking the standard improved. Crosses wer actually pretty good - finishing was mixed - Claros, LG and McPake scoring a few screamers though.

Then went into an 8v8 with 1 neutral 2/3 touch game half pitch - just wider than penalty box width. LG scored another screamer and Williams in goals made some excellent saves. Williams will be a big player for us this season - love hi talking and seems to be a winner also. They played 2 or 3 - 7 min games then split into defenders did a bit of defensive heading - while the strikers went with GK coach and did a short and sharp shooting practice in front of the FF stand.

Maybe 600 people there - food stalls were open selling the usual over priced food / drink - but overall a good idea to show how the players train but still not sure about the timing of this.

Finally Deegan looks strong and showed some good things - could be Matty Jack 2 - Stevens also trains better than he players and LG is a natural finisher - reminds me of Riordan so much - glad he came back as we will need his quality up top.

Cheers for that, sounds like a worthwhile exercise.

matty_f
08-08-2012, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the update NJ, sounds good.

down-the-slope
08-08-2012, 04:01 PM

They then went into a crossing and finishing practice in front of the Famous Five - right footers - Sproule, Maybury and Clancy crossing from right. Stevenson and Kujabi on the left. 2 players started edge of the box and attacked the crosses. After the first 3 attempts being shocking the standard improved. Crosses wer actually pretty good - finishing was mixed - Claros, LG and McPake scoring a few screamers though.

Then went into an 8v8 with 1 neutral 2/3 touch game half pitch - just wider than penalty box width. LG scored another screamer and Williams in goals made some excellent saves. Williams will be a big player for us this season - love hi talking and seems to be a winner also. They played 2 or 3 - 7 min games then split into defenders did a bit of defensive heading - while the strikers went with GK coach and did a short and sharp shooting practice in front of the FF stand.

Finally Deegan looks strong and showed some good things - could be Matty Jack 2 - Stevens also trains better than he players and LG is a natural finisher - reminds me of Riordan so much - glad he came back as we will need his quality up top.

:not worth That Sir is an excellent update - we talked about gap between support and players with manager at last LWT meeting. He recognised that with players being at EM all week and not around Leith / ER, was something that was not helping. Allied to feeling that the players need to feel more 'at home' playing at ER and maybe thinking with Derby on Sunday it would not be good having players who have never been on the pitch before...probably all added up to this being done.

mcfly
08-08-2012, 04:02 PM

For goodness sake lets get behind the team, no matter how bad we think they are they are still playing in that green and white shirt of HIBERNIAN....... The present team is full of new players and home grown youngsters. We have been given a chance to welcome them to our stadium. Listening to abuse resounding around an empty stadium is hardly good encouragement for Sunday's derby and will give again negative vibes from support to the players! We had too much of that last season!

I realise we are only one game into the season and find ourselves in the too familiar place of bottom of the league. BUT we have to stop the negativity and TRY and put last season behind us and push on for the season ahead TOGETHER with the team.

We cant keep changing managers and clearing out players every year. This season especially we all have to carry the leftover of the Rangers fiasco,there is no money anywhere to buy, buy buy!!

Get behind them now and show the faith you have in HIBERNIAN by supporting your team!

I admire your loyalty to the board but bending over backwards is a bit much.

This is a board who have sold all the best players and
and not reinvested in any quality - this is why we are a poor team who can't win many games. Look at our home record last 2 seasons.

This is a board who charge the highest prices in the league for some of the worst football

This is a board who have some of the most loyal fans around continual under achieves. Eg Hampden in may

Until this board spend some real money they will be criticised and rightly so

Fans deserve better than what we have.

Sweet Left Peg
08-08-2012, 04:04 PM
Id cancel this. Take all dead ball players aside and get them to practice corners and free-kicks for 12 hours a day. Its shocking that a professional footballer cant take a corner. If these players cared a jot about the team they would be putting in the extra practice outside of training. They are not fit enough, and lacking in the basic abilities required to play football. It really is THAT BAD. BRING BACK COLLINS ASAP.

Agreed. Few things wind me up as much as seeing a professional player lose the ball having cut back onto his "good foot" to have a shot, or put in a cross. Invariably, this loses the momentum, allows the defence to re-group and close down. It is not rocket science - if you can play with both feet, you have an attacking advantage. The defence doesn't know which way you will attack them from and then they are the ones on the back foot. How to give yourself a better footballing advantage?

Practice. Practice. Practice. After all, what are they paid to do?

Build on your strengths; improve on your weaknesses. Simples....

JimBHibees
08-08-2012, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the update NJ, sounds good.

Yep agree, the way that training has been described in some quarters I am a little surprised that the players werent being told to sprint to the top of the East Stand stairs and back until vomiting. Of course, along with medicine balls, old style hurdles and handle bar moustaches. :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
08-08-2012, 04:05 PM
What has failed to be reported, there was a full scale match of 30 minutes each half at the end, between the 1st team and 11 cones. You know the rest..........:wink:

jacomo
08-08-2012, 04:07 PM
:not worth That Sir is an excellent update - we talked about gap between support and players with manager at last LWT meeting. He recognised that with players being at EM all week and not around Leith / ER, was something that was not helping. Allied to feeling that the players need to feel more 'at home' playing at ER and maybe thinking with Derby on Sunday it would not be good having players who have never been on the pitch before...probably all added up to this being done.

Sounds like a good idea, well executed. Also reminds the players of what's at stake... 600 turn out is more than decent for a Weds afternoon at short notice, although it being the school holidays does help.

Franck Le God
08-08-2012, 04:10 PM
No crossing practice for hanlon? Suggests he'll be back at CB on Sunday.

GreenCastle
08-08-2012, 04:10 PM
What has failed to be reported, there was a full scale match of 30 minutes each half at the end, between the 1st team and 11 cones. You know the rest..........:wink:

:greengrin

Sitting in the stadium looking around though made it even more frustrating what potential this club has and what we could be.

A minimum this sunday is turning up and competing for everything - if that doesn't happen I do worry about this season.

Also maybe McPake and O' Hanlon at CH on Sunday - they seemed paired up today - O'Hanlon looked ok - let's if he does play it' the Aberdeen O'Hanlon and not the other one..or we are in trouble.

lucky
08-08-2012, 04:13 PM
I admire your loyalty to the board but bending over backwards is a bit much.

This is a board who have sold all the best players and
and not reinvested in any quality - this is why we are a poor team who can't win many games. Look at our home record last 2 seasons.

This is a board who charge the highest prices in the league for some of the worst football

This is a board who have some of the most loyal fans around continual under achieves. Eg Hampden in may

Until this board spend some real money they will be criticised and rightly so

Fans deserve better than what we have.

So what is real money? And more importantly where does it come from?

blackpoolhibs
08-08-2012, 04:19 PM
So what is real money? And more importantly where does it come from?

Real money is what our owner has in abundance, we generate peanuts compared to what he does. And while we are drowning, he sits back and tell anyone who will listen just what a good job the guy he put in charge is doing. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Hibstrooper
08-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Pictures from today...

http://www.snspix.com/08_08_12_hibernian_open_training_session/photo/84462.html

jacomo
08-08-2012, 05:30 PM
Real money is what our owner has in abundance, we generate peanuts compared to what he does. And while we are drowning, he sits back and tell anyone who will listen just what a good job the guy he put in charge is doing. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Would you put more money into a business that was massively under performing, and getting nowhere near the returns it should be on current spending levels? I wouldn't, unless I was convinced the management team had a plan to turn it around and were capable of doing so.

Neither you nor me knows what conversations take place behind closed doors. We do know that STF believes Hibs should be able to survive as a going concern without a bail out every year, and that in public he is staunchly supportive of Petrie. But in private I'd imagine STF has plenty more to say.

Our current predicament is not due to us spending less money than our competitors - we are spending it on the wrong things, like pay offs to ex managers and players.

Baldy Foghorn
08-08-2012, 05:36 PM

We are continually being told that Hibs wont spend anymore than the income from season ticket sales. Fans are unhappy with this, and after the back of some real crap seasons, some are choosing not to renew, until they see a marked improvement.

It is real catch 22 stuff, but the fans who are choosing to stop going, could indeed be lost forever....Only the Board can stop the malaise by giving PF more funds to spend, however then there is the issue that the money may be frittered away.....Really is thoroughly depressing to see the team like this........

Andy74
08-08-2012, 05:39 PM
Good fun today and interesting to see the little training games. We can pass the ball to each other after all!

Decent wee crowd although half the kids belonged to Leigh Griffiths.

Baldy Foghorn
08-08-2012, 05:43 PM
Good fun today and interesting to see the little training games. We can pass the ball to each other after all!

:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
08-08-2012, 05:44 PM
Would you put more money into a business that was massively under performing, and getting nowhere near the returns it should be on current spending levels? I wouldn't, unless I was convinced the management team had a plan to turn it around and were capable of doing so.

Neither you nor me knows what conversations take place behind closed doors. We do know that STF believes Hibs should be able to survive as a going concern without a bail out every year, and that in public he is staunchly supportive of Petrie. But in private I'd imagine STF has plenty more to say.

Our current predicament is not due to us spending less money than our competitors - we are spending it on the wrong things, like pay offs to ex managers and players.

Which is what i have said for quite a time now, yet at every AGM STF tell us Petries the man, in fact he wishes he had 100 of him? Maybe STF is not seeing what we see, maybe he's happy with his mans input?

As for you or i or even STF putting money in unless being convinced the management team had a plan to turn things around, are you suggesting the new manager does not have his full backing, has Petrie sold us another pup?

Farmer owns us he can do as he pleases, but he's hardly the saviour he was 20 years ago.

3pm
08-08-2012, 05:47 PM

Passing the ball under pressure is the real test.

the stig
08-08-2012, 05:52 PM
Does anyone know why booth, caldwell, smith, handling and stanton didnt join in?

blackpoolhibs
08-08-2012, 05:52 PM
Passing the ball under pressure is the real test.

Pre season was played at a snails pace, with hardly any real contact or pressure, training sessions are the same. As soon as the real stuff starts, we see just how good they are when on the ball.

Andy74
08-08-2012, 05:55 PM

Pre season was played at a snails pace, with hardly any real contact or pressure, training sessions are the same. As soon as the real stuff starts, we see just how good they are when on the ball.

Actually the training sessions were much quicker and tighter than real games with touches limited. Does make you wonder what happens to them when the games start!

3pm
08-08-2012, 05:58 PM

...and we all know how it turned out on Sunday. Needs to be better

Baldy Foghorn
08-08-2012, 05:58 PM
Does anyone know why booth, caldwell, smith, handling and stanton didnt join in?

They played for under 20's in Dingwall last night

blackpoolhibs
08-08-2012, 06:00 PM
Actually the training sessions were much quicker and tighter than real games with touches limited. Does make you wonder what happens to them when the games start!

Really, with proper tackling and aggression, nah dont believe you?

Andy74
08-08-2012, 06:34 PM
Really, with proper tackling and aggression, nah dont believe you?

Not the tackling or the aggression but they showed they can keep possession in quick and tight situations. Obviously the opposition are generally better at it though!

You could still see lack of pace, creativity and finishing, other than Griffiths. McPake and Claros scored some crackers too but the crossing drills did sum us up a bit!

Lang Toun Hibs
08-08-2012, 06:37 PM

Was it some of his real money that he used to stop the club from extinction? Is the club in a better state now than it was then? We are somewhat short in terms of our sporting ability right now (to put it mildly) but to simply throw money that we cannot afford at this problem is not the answer unless we want to end up in serious debt like the Yams or The Zombie Ranger Sevco Ltd or what ever they are calling themselves this week. We cannot finance major signings nor sustain the wages that these would carry. All we can do is try to bid for those players that come available and are affordable and trust the coach to blend who he sees as a good signing into our team and make it work. Won't happen as quickly as we'd like (nor as quickly as Pat Fenlon or Rod Petrie would like either - do you think they are enjoying this?!)

Constantly sacking the manager, overhauling the squad hasn't been working for us. Splashing cash we can't afford won't work either. Duff and Gray tried this and pushed us beyond the brink...how are our pubs in bath by the way?

blackpoolhibs
08-08-2012, 06:48 PM
Was it some of his real money that he used to stop the club from extinction? Is the club in a better state now than it was then? We are somewhat short in terms of our sporting ability right now (to put it mildly) but to simply throw money that we cannot afford at this problem is not the answer unless we want to end up in serious debt or like the Yams or The Zombie Ranger Sevco Ltd or what ever they are calling themselves this week. We cannot finance major signings nor sustain the wages that these would carry. All we can do is try to bid for those players that come available and are affordable and trust the coach to blend who he sees as a good signing into our team and make it work. Won't happen as quickly as we'd like (nor as quickly as Pat Fenlon or Rod Petrie would like either - do you think they are enjoying this?!)

Constantly sacking the manager, overhauling the squad hasn't been working for us. Splashing cash we can't afford won't work either. Duff and Gray tried this and pushed us beyond the brink...how are our pubs on bath by the way?

For a minute there i thought you were going to get Leed united and Portsmouth into the post. Harold Shipman was a good doctor once, would you like him to be your doctor?

Obviously thats to the extreme, but Farmer is not leading us these days. His vision off the park has been great for us, but it is to the detriment of the team. He's happy to see shiny new buildings, but not so happy to spend money on players that play in those buildings.

Constantly sacking managers is down to Him, his right hand man keeps picking bums, the man who STF trusts to run the club has failed in his duty, but its STF's plans he's carrying out.

Splashing cash i'd agree is not the way forward, but as owner of the club its his duty to do his best for the club. Is he doing his best, or is he passing the buck onto people who are not up to that job?

Kaiser1962
08-08-2012, 06:52 PM

You would also have to accept that you would, in all likeliehood, not only get zero return on your investment it is more than probable you would lose nearly every penny you "invested". And get dos abuse in the process.

The trouble with football is there is the usual measure of a business success does not apply. In manufacturing or retail they say that profit is sanity, volume is vanity whereas in football it's success on the park that matters and Oldhun, although now bust, are still the most "successful" football club in the world.

This anomaly needs to be redressed.

Pretty Boy
08-08-2012, 07:02 PM

A few managers now have commented that the team they see at training is far removed from the one that turns up on a Saturday/Sunday/Friday.....delete as a appropriate.

Makes me think a lot of the problems are mental as well as physical.

Lang Toun Hibs
08-08-2012, 07:28 PM
For a minute there i thought you were going to get Leed united and Portsmouth into the post. Harold Shipman was a good doctor once, would you like him to be your doctor?

Obviously thats to the extreme, but Farmer is not leading us these days. His vision off the park has been great for us, but it is to the detriment of the team. He's happy to see shiny new buildings, but not so happy to spend money on players that play in those buildings.

Constantly sacking managers is down to Him, his right hand man keeps picking bums, the man who STF trusts to run the club has failed in his duty, but its STF's plans he's carrying out.

Splashing cash i'd agree is not the way forward, but as owner of the club its his duty to do his best for the club. Is he doing his best, or is he passing the buck onto people who are not up to that job?

Was he really a good doctor?I'm not convinced! :o)
The owner is passing the buck as he has never hidden from the fact that he has no interest in running a football club. His right hand man has hired a number of managers who have been successful, either with hibs or pre/post hibs. With the exception of cc, who are the bums you refer to?

blackpoolhibs
08-08-2012, 07:38 PM
Was he really a good doctor?I'm not convinced! :o)
The owner is passing the buck as he has never hidden from the fact that he has no interest in running a football club. His right hand man has hired a number of managers who have been successful, either with hibs or pre/post hibs. With the exception of cc, who are the bums you refer to?

Every manager since Mowbray has flattered to deceive. Collins gave me one of the best days of my life, but then destroyed that team with players who were pish, then he jumped ship. Hughes started well then ultimately failed, Calderclown nothing more needs said.

matty_f
08-08-2012, 07:48 PM
A few managers now have commented that the team they see at training is far removed from the one that turns up on a Saturday/Sunday/Friday.....delete as a appropriate.

Makes me think a lot of the problems are mental as well as physical.

I think that's exactly the case. It's why it is vital that Fenlon gets in players with the right mental strength as much as players who are technically capable.

Ferryhibby
08-08-2012, 08:08 PM
I think that's exactly the case. It's why it is vital that Fenlon gets in players with the right mental strength as much as players who are technically capable.

:top marks

Which is what i think hes doin probably why its taking time to find players.....if he signed 4 or 5 players of the same calibre as agogo,sodje,thornhill and they turned out to be as crap as them we would be shouting for his head...the players he has brought in already, Cairney,Clancy,McPake,Deegan,Williams, possibly Maybury all have a different mentality and a will to win, unfortunately theyr still burdened with the dross from previous managers...until they go and are replaced wer gonna suffer

ScottB
08-08-2012, 09:02 PM
Which is what i have said for quite a time now, yet at every AGM STF tell us Petries the man, in fact he wishes he had 100 of him? Maybe STF is not seeing what we see, maybe he's happy with his mans input?

As for you or i or even STF putting money in unless being convinced the management team had a plan to turn things around, are you suggesting the new manager does not have his full backing, has Petrie sold us another pup?

Farmer owns us he can do as he pleases, but he's hardly the saviour he was 20 years ago.

Even if privately STF has concerns about Petrie, or the management, I'd very much doubt he'd ever consider releasing a public statement or tell a group of supporters that he thought that. It would be grossly unprofessional and immediately reduce Petrie to lame duck status.

STF has always said he wouldn't just pump money in, and given the UEFA fairplay rules coming in such things are going to become more difficult to do anyway. As others have said, our problem is spending badly. If we already spend the 4th highest on wages, but finish 11th, why would throwing another £100k a year at the problem be the solution if clubs spending far less than us can build squads that fight it out for European qualification?

What the answer is I don't know, a new scouting network? A new Board? Something has really went wrong since the team that was in place in Mowbray's time left, notably Park I suspect. We've been on a steady downward slide since then in one way or the other, with lack of fitness, confidence and far too many mistakes being constant throughout multiple managers and a total change around in the coaching department.

jacomo
09-08-2012, 09:08 PM
Even if privately STF has concerns about Petrie, or the management, I'd very much doubt he'd ever consider releasing a public statement or tell a group of supporters that he thought that. It would be grossly unprofessional and immediately reduce Petrie to lame duck status.

STF has always said he wouldn't just pump money in, and given the UEFA fairplay rules coming in such things are going to become more difficult to do anyway. As others have said, our problem is spending badly. If we already spend the 4th highest on wages, but finish 11th, why would throwing another £100k a year at the problem be the solution if clubs spending far less than us can build squads that fight it out for European qualification?

What the answer is I don't know, a new scouting network? A new Board? Something has really went wrong since the team that was in place in Mowbray's time left, notably Park I suspect. We've been on a steady downward slide since then in one way or the other, with lack of fitness, confidence and far too many mistakes being constant throughout multiple managers and a total change around in the coaching department.

Part of the problem, I think, is that since the Collins "rebellion", the Hibs manager (any of them) has seemed compromised. Petrie is seen as king, whereas the players should probably see the gaffer as the only boss who counts.

It was similar at the Arabs, when Eddie Thompson burned through a number of short-term appointments before Levein steadied the ship (after a shaky start) and Houston has cemented that.

I still believe the Hibs job is a good one, ripe for a talented and ambitious manager who wants to imprint his personality on the club, but recent history certainly doesn't help.

Adding to the pressure, the "football department" at EM appears to have woefully under performed, failing to give any manager a platform to work from.

If these problems are fixed, I'd hope that Hibs would invest to try and help the club reach its potential. But I am not sure if the new fair play rules would allow someone to burn millions on the club, even if they wanted to.

Now. Is Fenlon the man? I think we all want him to be, but I am yet to be persuaded. I see plenty of determination but not enough self-assurance or leadership, I'm afraid. He needs to make at least one or two key signings before the month is out, and then make this team perform. I wish him luck.