PDA

View Full Version : As horrible as it is to say...

dmc1875
06-08-2012, 02:39 AM
I've tried to be a fan of Stevenson I really have. I remember the over-hype of 2007 (jonothan bailie got the same) and I persevered with some peoples ideologies of a 'rejuvination' under PF but time has come to finally say the truth..

He is nowhere near good enough for a hibs CM player. No where near & will never get close. For some people/ PF to think that he is is trully shocking IMO. He is, as he always has been, a squad player that as a fan you always wished it wasnt his turn to come on.

If PF is to believed about his new philosophy why is stevenson playing? How many times does he need to be found out?

Twa Cairpets
06-08-2012, 07:34 AM
I've tried to be a fan of Stevenson I really have. I remember the over-hype of 2007 (jonothan bailie got the same) and I persevered with some peoples ideologies of a 'rejuvination' under PF but time has come to finally say the truth..

He is nowhere near good enough for a hibs CM player. No where near & will never get close. For some people/ PF to think that he is is trully shocking IMO. He is, as he always has been, a squad player that as a fan you always wished it wasnt his turn to come on.

If PF is to believed about his new philosophy why is stevenson playing? How many times does he need to be found out?

Seem to remember .netters saying almost the same about Rankin. He did ok yesterday didn't he?

Steve-O
06-08-2012, 07:51 AM
Stevenson is average. Always has been, always will be. We need better. And please lets stop considering him as a 'youngster' as he is far from it now.

LancsHibs
06-08-2012, 08:22 AM
100% agree re Stevenson, Wotherspoon is another, both showed promise when they came into the 1st team reckoning a fair few seasons ago and neither have live up to it, especially Lewis! They have been given enough time and chances and have continually poved to be 'not good enough', a couple of months ago there was talk of Crystal Palace(or was it Charlton?) offering us £ for Wotherspoon and there were people on this site not wanting him to go!!!!!:confused:
Stephens is one who has shown virtually no promise at all and Sproule is obviously not good enough anymore (should not have come back), a one trick pony who's trick is not very good anymore, how many one on ones can one player lose??
These 4 players I've mentioned have to be replaced, SHOULD have been replaced. We knew this from last season and that horrible day at Hampden yet here we are again started the season with 4 of the weakest members of that very week team from last season. Very disheartening:brickwall and scratting around the bargain bin for players at the last minute.

mmmmhibby
06-08-2012, 08:24 AM
stevenson would probably be better leaving hibs for his own sake, maybe he would prosper at different club, albeit at a lower level.

AlbertK86
06-08-2012, 08:28 AM
Seem to remember .netters saying almost the same about Rankin. He did ok yesterday didn't he?

Rankin was pish for Hibs and still don't rate him ... However he got in our team ahead of Lewis and. Now Lewis is viewed as our top dog

Scarey scarey very scarey how poor our midfield has become.

Likewise Sproule .... He was hardly ever a starter first time round and now he is even worse he plays as first pick

So effin scarey

Judas Iscariot
06-08-2012, 08:32 AM
Didn't realise he was playing until 42mins in yesterday..

Says it all

easty
06-08-2012, 08:41 AM

You've an imagined version of the past if you remember Rankin being a good player for us. Whether he was not interested at Hibs or not used correctly by the manager, he performed poorly, consistently.

So, he's done not bad with Dundee Utd, so what? Doesn't mean we should have persisted with him and his crappy performances.

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-08-2012, 08:51 AM

The same point could very well be made about Paul Hartley but he was never going become the player he ended up being, in a Hibs jersey.

Baldy Foghorn
06-08-2012, 08:55 AM
You've an imagined version of the past if you remember Rankin being a good player for us. Whether he was not interested at Hibs or not used correctly by the manager, he performed poorly, consistently.

So, he's done not bad with Dundee Utd, so what? Doesn't mean we should have persisted with him and his crappy performances.

I felt he was given a hard time in certain quarters......I tell you what though, I would take Rankin back in a heartbeat right now.....

easty
06-08-2012, 08:58 AM
I felt he was given a hard time in certain quarters......I tell you what though, I would take Rankin back in a heartbeat right now.....

I'd love to have Rankin back based on the way he's played for Utd. But he'd be nae good to us if he came back and picked up where he left off.

mmmmhibby
06-08-2012, 09:00 AM

no thanks

Baldy Foghorn
06-08-2012, 09:03 AM
no thanks

Because our current midfield is performing so well, isn't it?

Baldy Foghorn
06-08-2012, 09:05 AM
I'd love to have Rankin back based on the way he's played for Utd. But he'd be nae good to us if he came back and picked up where he left off.

Rankin has not suddenly became decent overnight, why has it taken him to go to Utd to find his form, is there something fundementally wrong at ER that players seem to underperform?

goosefat
06-08-2012, 09:15 AM

Maybe the only way to judge the quality of any Hibs player is when they're not actually playing for Hibs.

I realise that sentence doesn't quite make grammatical sense but there does seem to be something about the green jersey that, over the last few seasons, drains any kind of skill and ability right out of whoever is wearing it.

Eganov
06-08-2012, 09:16 AM
It's a but of a vicious circle really... DW and LS are showing good loyalty to this club and are definitely among the few triers we have. But they are not developing at hibs anymore and they would both do well to get away from hibs as they have hit the same brick wall fletcher et al hit whereby hibs don't have the ability to develop them.

Sadly it's maybe time to let them go with grace and develop.

DAVE1875
06-08-2012, 09:17 AM
Guarantee as soon as we let Stevenson go he'll turn into a good player and may just come back to bite us, has happened with quite a few players whom we Hibs fans have deemed "surplus requirements".

Judas Iscariot
06-08-2012, 09:19 AM
Guarantee as soon as we let Stevenson go he'll turn into a good player and may just come back to bite us, has happened with quite a few players whom we Hibs fans have deemed "surplus requirements".

I bet he won't...

R'Albin
06-08-2012, 09:19 AM
Rankin performed as well as he did yesterday because he was allowed to waltz straight through our midfield without anyone tracking him numerous times. I could've put in a good performance up against our crap in midfield.

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2012, 09:24 AM
Rankin performed as well as he did yesterday because he was allowed to waltz straight through our midfield without anyone tracking him numerous times. I could've put in a good performance up against our crap in midfield.

:agree: Although i'd take Rankin over what we currently have. We have replaced him with someone who was a sub at best when Rankin was at Hibs, how is that strengthening? :confused:

Pretty Boy
06-08-2012, 09:27 AM
It's a but of a vicious circle really... DW and LS are showing good loyalty to this club and are definitely among the few triers we have. But they are not developing at hibs anymore and they would both do well to get away from hibs as they have hit the same brick wall fletcher et al hit whereby hibs don't have the ability to develop them.

Sadly it's maybe time to let them go with grace and develop.

I show good loyalty to Hibs by continuing to fork out money to watch rubbish. I'd also try my erse off if I got the chance to play.

Sadly loyalty and trying wouldn't make me good enough for Hibs or any other SPL club for that matter. The same is true of Wotherspoon and Stevenson.

Steve-O
06-08-2012, 09:33 AM
:agree: Although i'd take Rankin over what we currently have. We have replaced him with someone who was a sub at best when Rankin was at Hibs, how is that strengthening? :confused:

We've got rid of some dross from last season but, remarkably, players that could not get a game last season have now taken some of those places! Unbelievable.

gegs70
06-08-2012, 09:34 AM
stevenson was one of our better players last season....just shows how big a rebuilding job is required!!

gegs70
06-08-2012, 09:37 AM
however if he had more experienced players around him he would be ok. We got rid of ozzy and put in cairnie its a new unfimiliar feel to the midfield....I think the whole team set up looked wrong...midfield looks worse than last year.....end i dont rate stephens at the back....bit if a bomb scare!

Phil MaGlass
06-08-2012, 09:39 AM
I bet he won't...

Id like to bet he will.

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2012, 09:39 AM
We've got rid of some dross from last season but, remarkably, players that could not get a game last season have now taken some of those places! Unbelievable.

This happens every season, we make a couple of what the fans would say are good signings, but other parts of the team are weakened at the same time by bringing in players who would never have made the team before starting every week?

Papering over the cracks again as usual. Gary Deegan better be a cross between Messi and Iniesta or we are in a real mess, and another relegation fight? 10th 11th in consecutive seasons, who would bet against 12th? :rolleyes:

Judas Iscariot
06-08-2012, 09:42 AM
Id like to bet he will.

We are talking about turning into a good "Football" player eh.. :confused:

Andy74
06-08-2012, 09:44 AM
This happens every season, we make a couple of what the fans would say are good signings, but other parts of the team are weakened at the same time by bringing in players who would never have made the team before starting every week?

Papering over the cracks again as usual. Gary Deegan better be a cross between Messi and Iniesta or we are in a real mess, and another relegation fight? 10th 11th in consecutive seasons, who would bet against 12th? :rolleyes:

The problem is though we had about 20 players who weren't good enough, we've got rid of 16 or so and are now very, very short to the extent that 4 or 5 players who couldn't get a games last year are now having to play.

I think we'll bring in some more players but it's going to take some time to shift those that are under contract and get better in.

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2012, 10:02 AM
The problem is though we had about 20 players who weren't good enough, we've got rid of 16 or so and are now very, very short to the extent that 4 or 5 players who couldn't get a games last year are now having to play.

I think we'll bring in some more players but it's going to take some time to shift those that are under contract and get better in.

We had a team that finished 4th, that team needed 3 players to kick on. You thought that was a decent side, so did i. What happened Andy? We sold Stokes and Bamba, and brought in Dickoh and Duffy, Trakyss came in too. Can you see a pattern, Rankin goes Stevenson replaces him, it happens every season recently, not only players like the first two i mentioned, but even average ones replaced with players who were subs.

This vision Farmer/Petrie have is not working, mainly because they couldn't pick a jump in a barrel of phannys. The new manager talks a good talk, but when it comes down to tactics and team selection he's not in my opinion getting it right. You will tell me he needs time, and i'd agree but he's not making the best use of what he has now, and thats not a great sign at all.

Diclonius
06-08-2012, 10:06 AM

Rankin was awarded United's player of the season last year.

gegs70
06-08-2012, 10:08 AM

maybe with a stronger midfield we would have a better chance. Sproule, cairnie, stevenson, doyle in the middle dont really sound a strong experienced midfield. With stephens playing centre just looked weak!

Matty_Jack04
06-08-2012, 10:11 AM

Time!! Your having a laugh eh this is hibs we don't do patience where have you been

Judas Iscariot
06-08-2012, 10:12 AM
Time!! Your having a laugh eh this is hibs we don't do patience where have you been

Over 5 years of time & patience has done as really well eh

gegs70
06-08-2012, 10:19 AM
Im fed up waiting...this season especially had a deceny oportunity! And once again we dont appear to be ready for the start of the season, which kind of suggest fenlon doesnt really know what hes doing!!!!

Judas Iscariot
06-08-2012, 10:23 AM
Im fed up waiting...this season especially had a deceny oportunity! And once again we dont appear to be ready for the start of the season, which kind of suggest fenlon doesnt really know what hes doing!!!!

Not to me..

I reckon PF knows fine well what he "wants" to do, he's just not getting the chance to do it...

R'Albin
06-08-2012, 10:25 AM
Rankin was awarded United's player of the season last year.

The point still stands though. From what I've seen of him over the years he's an average player who was made to look like iniesta yesterday as our midfield stood off of him.

AlbertK86
06-08-2012, 10:34 AM
Not to me..

I reckon PF knows fine well what he "wants" to do, he's just not getting the chance to do it...

Correct

Same every season. Board (ROD) refuses to pay up for initial targets and waits for what he views as bargains at end of window

Manager frustrated but has to toe the party line

Result - we end up with dross and ROD sacks manager to save his own skin .....

Rotten to the core but many on here think he is a saviour as our finances aren't as bad as others..... He never balanced the books ... It was the sale of nearly a full team of young talent identified and developed by John and Donald Park

Andy74
06-08-2012, 10:35 AM
Not to me..

Agree, but not sure it is down to Board restriction - I think it's more to do with him not wanting just to sign anyone. He clearly has had long term targets such as Deegan and Williams that he has sat out and been determined to get as they fit what he wants from them as players and people.

This is how he has worked in the past, he has not been rushed and has success with it in the long term.

The task is huge though but I hope he gets a few more of his targets sharpish!!

I am glad he mentioned that we clearly need a proper centre forward and also that he wanted to get players that could provide more support from midfield.

ahibby
06-08-2012, 10:40 AM
We had a team that finished 4th, that team needed 3 players to kick on. You thought that was a decent side, so did i. What happened Andy? We sold Stokes and Bamba, and brought in Dickoh and Duffy, Trakyss came in too. Can you see a pattern, Rankin goes Stevenson replaces him, it happens every season recently, not only players like the first two i mentioned, but even average ones replaced with players who were subs.

This vision Farmer/Petrie have is not working, mainly because they couldn't pick a jump in a barrel of phannys. The new manager talks a good talk, but when it comes down to tactics and team selection he's not in my opinion getting it right. You will tell me he needs time, and i'd agree but he's not making the best use of what he has now, and thats not a great sign at all.

:agree: with all of that.

JimBHibees
06-08-2012, 10:41 AM
Correct

Same every season. Board (ROD) refuses to pay up for initial targets and waits for what he views as bargains at end of window

Manager frustrated but has to toe the party line

Result - we end up with dross and ROD sacks manager to save his own skin .....

Rotten to the core but many on here think he is a saviour as our finances aren't as bad as others..... He never balanced the books ... It was the sale of nearly a full team of young talent identified and developed by John and Donald Park

Thats nonsense really, managers have been backed however they have failed to develop the team into a decent unit. Most of our money seems to be spent on paying off the previous managers failures. The Board must accept responsibility for the selection of the manager however it is the manager that runs the football operation, unforunately the last few incumbents have done a poor job.

Andy74
06-08-2012, 10:46 AM
Thats nonsense really, managers have been backed however they have failed to develop the team into a decent unit. Most of our money seems to be spent on paying off the previous managers failures. The Board must accept responsibility for the selection of the manager however it is the manager that runs the football operation, unforunately the last few incumbents have done a poor job.

That's right and missing the intial targets thing due to the board is rubbish. McPake, Cairney, Clancy, Williams, Deegan, Griffiths - they were all people Fenlon wanted to bring in and he has said most were long term targets of his.

Yes we have missed on a couple, as every team does, but every manager has been well backed, they've just bought rubbish or failed to have the right balance as a team.

Shrekko
06-08-2012, 11:07 AM
I think Stevenson has peaked as a player and has nothing else. The fact he has to strain every sinue to even semi compete at this level says it all. Guys like Rankin and even Wotherspoon have occasionally shown glimpses of having a bit more in their locker and that is why I'm not surprised at Rankin doing ok at United and why I'd persevere a wee bit longer with Wotherspoon even though he is the most frustrating player I've ever seen.

The title of the thread says it all, it translates as "I hate to say anything negative about wee Lewis and I'm dressing it up so his army of fawning fans aren't too harsh on me". It's about time folk woke up and smelt the coffee. Stevensons inclusion in central midfield in our first game of the season is one of the most worrying indicators of where we currently stand. His gutless, woeful cup final performance should have been enough.

People can't start throwing POTY and MOM v. Killie around all they want. Jonnyboy can come on with his obligatory comparison to Busquets if he wants, but the simple fact is he is nowhere near good enough. Nowhere near.

AlbertK86
06-08-2012, 11:31 AM
That's right and missing the intial targets thing due to the board is rubbish. McPake, Cairney, Clancy, Williams, Deegan, Griffiths - they were all people Fenlon wanted to bring in and he has said most were long term targets of his.

Yes we have missed on a couple, as every team does, but every manager has been well backed, they've just bought rubbish or failed to have the right balance as a team.

So who employed the supposed crap managers in the first place

Pat already said we'd missed out on some. Not disagreeing who we have brought in so far are 1st choices, however, we have lost 15 players and we should have had our replacements in for the start of the season

Confidence is low on the pitch and the terraces....

Perhaps if we had a proper squad in place for the season kicking off we might not have had such a pathetic performance yesterday and may have set a better confidence for the rest of the season

06-08-2012, 01:39 PM
Stevenson trys hard but as the OP said, he just simply isn't good enough unfortunately. He has moments tbf and there were a couple gmes last season where I did think he did well but a couple good games a season and the odd moment here and there is not what we want. Wotherpoon, looked very promising when he first broke into the first team and looked as if he would turn into quite a young star but never did.

basehibby
06-08-2012, 03:48 PM

What a f***in joke of a thread. Fans AND player's player of the season last season and you're asking why he was in the team :confused: (Einstein's Brain of Britain award 2012 winging it's way to you - NOT)

Stevenson is not a hugely talented player - he got those POY awards through consistently working his socks off week in week out in what was a struggling team. He may not be a hugely talented player but if all his teammates had shown similar attitude, workrate and tenacity last season then I doubt very much that relegation would have been an issue.

He had a poor game on Sunday - fair enough - but to assert that last season's POY should not even have been considered for selection makes no sense whatsoever. Stevenson is a water carrier type of player who will not win matches on his own - we lack match winners at the moment and that is a situation that MUST be remedied ASAP - but it takes more than one type of player to make a team and hard working players like Stevenson (AND Rankin for that matter) are just as important to successful teams as flair players with flicks and tricks

basehibby
06-08-2012, 04:00 PM
Over 5 years of time & patience has done as really well eh

That's the point though isn't it - we as a support have NOT shown patience. Every manager since (and including) Collins has had an internet lynch mob calling for their heads from about 6 months into their tenure. Yup - Collins, Hughes, Mixu and CC were all subject to barrages of criticism and the board subjected to pressure to provide their heads on a platter. Some cases were more justified than others but there is a tendency among elements of the Hibs support to want results YESTERDAY from any new manager and to start agitating for their removal at the first sign of trouble. Not realistic, not constructive and not helpful.

500miles
06-08-2012, 04:05 PM
Stevenson is generally a good passer of the ball, despite criticism yesterday, he always shows himself as an option when the defence is on the ball, he works hard and rarely shirks a 50-50. In a midfield capable of playing thier roles, he is a positive contributor.
He is the man to play next to an aggressive ballwinner. Without that our midfield balance is all wrong.