PDA

View Full Version : Tactics

Wotherspiniesta
05-08-2012, 07:55 PM
First of all, I'm not surprised we got beat today. Based on last season United are miles ahead of us.

I like Pat Fenlon. I think he realises there's changes to be made both in terms of players and in terms of attitude. And I can say that I'm quite pleased with the business he's done so far. McPake was a must. Albeit he had a bit of a shocker today, but we needed him in for the start of the season. Williams looks reliable. Clancy looks solid enough. Cairney looked to have a bit of bite about him. And we need someone with the willingness of Griffiths upfront.

But for me this is the first time I'm starting to question Fenlons tactics. What was out game plan today? Every time we got the ball, we treated it like a hot potato. Every time Williams got the ball, he launched it ....to who? how many headers are Griffiths/Wotherspoon/Doyle/Sproule going to win? For me, we've lost out best passer (Ozzy) and it seems to me that we're trying to be a long ball team with nobody upfront who can win a header? We seriously need to go back to basics. Play the ball out from the back, play with the head up, pick a pass. If Spain/Man United/Chelsea/Real Madrid/Man City etc spent all game playing with the tactics we did today, they'd struggle aswell.

We're still well short of numbers. But we need players who do the simple things like control and pass the ball, or much like last year we'll spend most of the game chasing the ball and being on the back foot.

Vault Boy
05-08-2012, 08:12 PM
First of all, I'm not surprised we got beat today. Based on last season United are miles ahead of us.

I like Pat Fenlon. I think he realises there's changes to be made both in terms of players and in terms of attitude. And I can say that I'm quite pleased with the business he's done so far. McPake was a must. Albeit he had a bit of a shocker today, but we needed him in for the start of the season. Williams looks reliable. Clancy looks solid enough. Cairney looked to have a bit of bite about him. And we need someone with the willingness of Griffiths upfront.

But for me this is the first time I'm starting to question Fenlons tactics. What was out game plan today? Every time we got the ball, we treated it like a hot potato. Every time Williams got the ball, he launched it ....to who? how many headers are Griffiths/Wotherspoon/Doyle/Sproule going to win? For me, we've lost out best passer (Ozzy) and it seems to me that we're trying to be a long ball team with nobody upfront who can win a header? We seriously need to go back to basics. Play the ball out from the back, play with the head up, pick a pass. If Spain/Man United/Chelsea/Real Madrid/Man City etc spent all game playing with the tactics we did today, they'd struggle aswell.

We're still well short of numbers. But we need players who do the simple things like control and pass the ball, or much like last year we'll spend most of the game chasing the ball and being on the back foot.

:agree: Agreed.
I've said a couple of times that I don't believe this formation won't work, what you have said underlines why. We certainly need a couple of midfielders, but I do hope that Paddy will think differently formation whether he is able to bring in his targeted transfers or not.

I still like Fenlon and hope he is allowed to succeed, by the board, by the fans and by his players.