PDA

View Full Version : A solid core

The_Horde
05-08-2012, 05:27 PM
Fenlon's signings so far indicate to me that he's looking to build a nucleus, a core of players from the back on which to build on. He's so far signed players right up the spine of the team who are supposedly leaders, talkers and organisers: Williams, Mcpake and Deegan.

What do we need next and how long will it take to them to gel and start to form a new and much needed win at all costs attitude in the dressing room?

How much time will Fenlon get?

CalgaryHibs
05-08-2012, 05:34 PM
I hope he gets time to build a team he wants, providing he get money to build.

Emerald
05-08-2012, 05:35 PM
;3314701']Fenlon's signings so far indicate to me that he's looking to build a nucleus, a core of players from the back on which to build on. He's so far signed players right up the spine of the team who are supposedly leaders, talkers and organisers: Williams, Mcpake and Deegan.

What do we need next and how long will it take to them to gel and start to form a new and much needed win at all costs attitude in the dressing room?

Thats a good plan and as yet don't know much about Deegan, the keeper looks ok and we all know about McPake. The only thing lacking in that plan is the organisation, there is none! The back four look worse now than they did when Hanlon and McPake were in the centre and Kujabi was at full back. Everything takes time to gel but a hint of an improvement would be very welcome.

hibsbollah
05-08-2012, 05:40 PM
Williams and Cairney look like they could be decent acquisitions. We know McPake can contribute. Thats potentially a solid core. Its all the other parts of the jigsaw im worried about.

Aldo
05-08-2012, 05:41 PM
"]Fenlon's signings so far indicate to me that he's looking to build a nucleus, a core of players from the back on which to build on. He's so far signed players right up the spine of the team who are supposedly leaders, talkers and organisers: Williams, Mcpake and Deegan.

Ben. The problem we have is that the fans patience has gone and are looking for a vast improvement in the park.

There is still a lot of players who for me are not good enough. For me Stephens, Sproule, and Stevenson are not good enough to be in the starting 11. Hanlon needs to move back into the middle with either Booth, smith or Pa brought back into LB.

Williams
Clancy McPake Hanlon (maybe even O Hanlon) LB
Deegan Cairney
New player new player Griffiths
New player

The way ahead cos that's what the teams missing tbh. Either the new players or bring in a couple of youngsters into the team and see how they do. Cannae be any worse than we're starting.

The_Horde
05-08-2012, 05:51 PM
Ben. The problem we have is that the fans patience has gone and are looking for a vast improvement in the park.

There is still a lot of players who for me are not good enough. For me Stephens, Sproule, and Stevenson are not good enough to be in the starting 11. Hanlon needs to move back into the middle with either Booth, smith or Pa brought back into LB.

Williams
Clancy McPake Hanlon (maybe even O Hanlon) LB
Deegan Cairney
New player new player Griffiths
New player

The way ahead cos that's what the teams missing tbh. Either the new players or bring in a couple of youngsters into the team and see how they do. Cannae be any worse than we're starting.

I agree with you Aldo but the more players we sign at once, the more chance we'll just have a bunch of players who think they're doing hibs a favour by playing for us. All I'm looking for this season is more home wins, a few more places up the league (6th/7th) and a few wins against top 6 sides to give us something to shout about. Then build on it again next season by adding some flair players who know that if they don't perform the nucleus, the core who win at all costs will go through them like a ton of bricks.

Basically all I want to see this season is a marked improvement in performance and attitude and a glimpse of a brighter future.

The_Horde
05-08-2012, 05:56 PM
And a glimpse of a plan starting to come together!

Andy74
05-08-2012, 06:06 PM
The brightest parts of the team today were players Fenlon has brought in. Clearly though we are now down to playing 4 or 5 players who couldn't get a game last year.

I think Fenlon is taking a gamble but one that's for the benefit of the club long term. He is only bringing players in when he feels they tick all the boxes and improves what we have in terms of ability and character.

United have been building that team for 5 years or so and it shows. I expect about the same next week but do expect things to improve by the end of the window.

I think people asking for another change of manager are missing the point about what needs done at the club right now.

Aldo
05-08-2012, 06:12 PM
"]

I agree with you Aldo but the more players we sign at once, the more chance we'll just have a bunch of players who think they're doing hibs a favour by playing for us. All I'm looking for this season is more home wins, a few more places up the league (6th/7th) and a few wins against top 6 sides to give us something to shout about. Then build on it again next season by adding some flair players who know that if they don't perform the nucleus, the core who win at all costs will go through them like a ton of bricks.

Basically all I want to see this season is a marked improvement in performance and attitude and a glimpse of a brighter future.

Exactly. I really do think we need to be hard to beat first and foremost but we got lucky at only 3 nil.

I would like to think that we will be bringing in a few more by the end of the week. (no holdin ma breathe tho)

The_Horde
05-08-2012, 11:26 PM
The brightest parts of the team today were players Fenlon has brought in. Clearly though we are now down to playing 4 or 5 players who couldn't get a game last year.

I think Fenlon is taking a gamble but one that's for the benefit of the club long term. He is only bringing players in when he feels they tick all the boxes and improves what we have in terms of ability and character.

United have been building that team for 5 years or so and it shows. I expect about the same next week but do expect things to improve by the end of the window.

I think people asking for another change of manager are missing the point about what needs done at the club right now.

Fenlon may turn out to be tactically inept but we need to give him some time to build a side who can adapt to different formations and situations before jumping to that conclusion because right now we only have a few options to chose from in how we're set up.

For instance, we can't play passing football because the players have absolutely no belief in their ability (and for some rightly so) and we also don't possess enough flair to pull it off. So long ball is the only way, but we don't have a tall strong striker.

Exactly. I really do think we need to be hard to beat first and foremost but we got lucky at only 3 nil.

I would like to think that we will be bringing in a few more by the end of the week. (no holdin ma breathe tho)

IMO we need another CH if Hanlon is staying at LB but if Hanlon is moving inside then we need a new LB. We need another striker, a strong laddy who can play with his back to goal, we need a versatile midfielder who can play up front, through the middle or out wide and we need an old head in midfield who could also maybe play at the back if necessary.

Like you though, i won't hold my breath.

What we can do is write off the derby now.