PDA

View Full Version : The defence

KeithTheHibby
05-08-2012, 04:04 PM
Arguably strengthened over the summer with Clancy and Williams signing on.

McPake and Hanlon looking strong in the centre towards the end of last season. LB dodgy however Kujabi or Booth capable of playing here as we have seen before.

So first game of the season Hanlon moved to LB (which in the past he has struggled to play) to bring in Stephens, a player who continually makes mistakes, prone to sleeping and for a big guy gets bullied.

End result? 3-0 pumping with errors all over the back and individual mistakes.

Take note Paddy, it's line ups and tactics like that which shall get you the sack.

Dinkydoo
05-08-2012, 04:15 PM
Totally agree.

Baffling tactical decision to include Stephens in the starting lineup.

I'm generally happy with the quality of McPake, Clancy, Williams, Cairney and Griffiths; so I'm hopeful that Deegan is going to be a good player. The worrying thing is that we have a poor enough squad - overall - without making stupid decisions like playing Stephens (at all) or someone like Cairney in front of the defence, in a lightweight midfield, with Doyle out wide.

These decisions result in a performance like today and will inevitably lead to PF's departure. I still have hope that PF is the right man for the job, but when he makes decisions like this I really wonder what the hell he must be thinking.

I'm beginning to lose interest after 5 years of going from average, to worse, to utter pish.

In all honesty, I don't know if I can be ****ed with another "transitional period".

Eyrie
05-08-2012, 04:26 PM
I'd prefer to have Kujabi at LB and Hanlon back at CH. He had a good partnership with McPake, so why break it up if Fenlon is trying to strengthen us from the back?

allezsauzee
05-08-2012, 05:19 PM
Give Maybury a years contract, play him at LB and get Hanlon back in the middle with McPake.

davhibby
05-08-2012, 05:32 PM
Just going to make a point that Stephens won most of the balls that were in the air against daly today, so who exactly is going to challenge him in the air if he's not there? Without that it could have been 6/7-0

edinburghhibee
05-08-2012, 05:46 PM
Just going to make a point that Stephens won most of the balls that were in the air against daly today, so who exactly is going to challenge him in the air if he's not there? Without that it could have been 6/7-0

Really??? Not too sure about that mate Stephens looked way out of his depth today.

Daly is one of the toughest strikers to play against in fairness to Stephens though

Aldo
05-08-2012, 06:26 PM
Really??? Not too sure about that mate Stephens looked way out of his depth today.

Daly is one of the toughest strikers to play against in fairness to Stephens though

At the moment I'd be happy with a defender (s) that can do the basics and DEFEND, then take it from there. Stephens sorry cannot even do that and from the word go was awful. Shocking header and Williams could of easily been sent off. No positional sense and sorry yes he's young but surely he should be able to get that right.

Not good enough for me. I will say this however we will not be the only team who struggle against a very good and well organized Utd team.

Matty_Jack04
05-08-2012, 06:35 PM
Arguably strengthened over the summer with Clancy and Williams signing on.

McPake and Hanlon looking strong in the centre towards the end of last season. LB dodgy however Kujabi or Booth capable of playing here as we have seen before.

So first game of the season Hanlon moved to LB (which in the past he has struggled to play) to bring in Stephens, a player who continually makes mistakes, prone to sleeping and for a big guy gets bullied.

End result? 3-0 pumping with errors all over the back and individual mistakes.

Take note Paddy, it's line ups and tactics like that which shall get you the sack.

No he cannot

erin go bragh
05-08-2012, 06:44 PM
At the moment I'd be happy with a defender (s) that can do the basics and DEFEND, then take it from there. Stephens sorry cannot even do that and from the word go was awful.[ Shocking header ]and Williams could of easily been sent off. No positional sense and sorry yes he's young but surely he should be able to get that right.

Not good enough for me. I will say this however we will not be the only team who struggle against a very good and well organized Utd team.
Was it not Mcpake that was short with the header ?
We need a left back as Hanlon is a far better a ch than Stephens .

ggtth

yekimevol
05-08-2012, 08:26 PM
we dont have an amazing defence but the fact that our midfield could not keep the ball for longer than 5 seconds nine times out of ten, put lots of pressure on it and that was the undoing today.