PDA

View Full Version : Hibs signing policy (merged)

HibsMax
05-08-2012, 03:49 PM
After reading more than a few comments on this I want to get an idea of what fans really believe happens when Hibs go after new players. Do you think :
1. we drag our feet and leave it too late to find players, or
2. we look for players but it's hard to get players to come to Hibs?

More than a few posters are complaining about Hibs leaving it too late but, and I don't know this so I'm guessing, I don't think that Hibs deliberately leave it too late. I think that it's hard to entice players of the required quality to the club and that we're probably being turned down a lot more often than people are aware of....giving the impression that Hibs aren't trying and are leaving it too late.

I think I have this argument every year :) but I don't think signing new players is as easy as people think. Just because we need new players doesn't mean that we are entitled to get them. It's the player's choice to play for whichever team he wants to. We can't force players to come to Hibs. This might have a lot to do with how much we offer in wages, I don't know, but that is a different argument than the one I am making here. This is about timing.

HFC 0-7
05-08-2012, 03:54 PM
After reading more than a few comments on this I want to get an idea of what fans really believe happens when Hibs go after new players. Do you think :

More than a few posters are complaining about Hibs leaving it too late but, and I don't know this so I'm guessing, I don't think that Hibs deliberately leave it too late. I think that it's hard to entice players of the required quality to the club and that we're probably being turned down a lot more often than people are aware of....giving the impression that Hibs aren't trying and are leaving it too late.

I think I have this argument every year :) but I don't think signing new players is as easy as people think. Just because we need new players doesn't mean that we are entitled to get them. It's the player's choice to play for whichever team he wants to. We can't force players to come to Hibs. This might have a lot to do with how much we offer in wages, I don't know, but that is a different argument than the one I am making here. This is about timing.

We have had longer than most teams to start scouting and getting lists started and approaching players. We knew half way through last season that we needed a massive rebuilding job. It's all about money, if we offer more, we get the player in most cases IMO. If we can't get players in because of some other reason other than money then it's time for board members to start walking.

AlbertK86
05-08-2012, 04:28 PM
Aye but a lot on here say its fine just wait til end of window til they drop their demands ..... Aye that's wot we've been doing for years and strangely enough ..... We end up with dross !!

Poor poor policy

brianmc
05-08-2012, 04:34 PM
So far I have seen nothing to suggest we actually have a policy. Looks to me like we just muddle through each transfer window as they come along.

5david5
05-08-2012, 04:41 PM
Aye but a lot on here say its fine just wait til end of window til they drop their demands ..... Aye that's wot we've been doing for years and strangely enough ..... We end up with dross !!

Poor poor policy

Is it not the case that we're cash-strapped for all the obvious reasons and it's exacerbated by how many player and manager clear outs we've had to fund following failed regimes?

My view is that Petrie was seduced far too long by the success of the Mowbray model. Find cheap under appreciated gems in other teams reserves. This at least now appears to have stopped and recent signings look like fully-formed, experienced first team players.

That's the only chink of light I can see. Just about all that's keeping me going after that pish today!!

BEEJ
05-08-2012, 04:47 PM
It's a mix of the two, but IMHO a bit more of the second factor.

This might have a lot to do with how much we offer in wages, I don't know, but that is a different argument than the one I am making here. This is about timing.
Those two factors are inextricably linked. Our style on transfer negotiations seems to be to play the long game, sticking pretty rigidly to certain Ts & Cs and wage positions and hoping over a period of weeks that the player and his agent will agree after a a battle of attrition.

That approach is fair enough when you have an established core to your squad and you're looking to add a few key players during the summer window.

It's much less effective when you're facing a complete squad rebuild, as we seem to have done now for the last three summer windows. We don't have the luxury of allowing weeks to go by without securing our Manager's targets.

The financial backdrop to this summer, with all its uncertainty, has not helped. But I have to say, it's utterly staggering to find ourselves in this position once again.

By the sounds of today's game we desperately require three or four really good signings in the next few weeks and the sooner the better.

Green Cabbage 7
05-08-2012, 10:45 PM
Who is to blame for failing to get our targeted players that fenlon has mentioned and any idea who they were?

shetlandhibee
05-08-2012, 11:53 PM
I dont know who weve targeted but with Petrie as chairmen we wont be able to buy anyone:worried:

matty_f
05-08-2012, 11:55 PM
Who is to blame for failing to get our targeted players that fenlon has mentioned and any idea who they were?

Teams with more money.

matty_f
05-08-2012, 11:57 PM
I dont know who weve targeted but with Petrie as chairmen we wont be able to buy anyone:worried:

Scott Lindsay deals with the transfers, Petrie has very little to do with the day to day operations of the club.

Cocaine&Caviar
05-08-2012, 11:57 PM
Not SPL clubs at the end of the day.

NOLA
06-08-2012, 01:01 AM
we can target as many players as we like but if they dont want to join then not alot more we can do tbh,

silverhibee
06-08-2012, 01:23 AM
Scott Lindsay deals with the transfers, Petrie has very little to do with the day to day operations of the club.

So what does he do Matty.?

essexhibee
06-08-2012, 02:00 AM
Teams in league one and two who offer better wages most likely.

We just can't afford anyone decent simple as that. And we have no sellable assetts. Worrying indeed.

Saorsa
06-08-2012, 05:38 AM
Scott Lindsay deals with the transfers, Petrie has very little to do with the day to day operations of the club.You really think anything happens at ER without Petrie's say so? He may no be involved with the day tae day running but the way the club is run is of his making and Lindsay is just another lap dog running the club the Petrie way.

IWasThere2016
06-08-2012, 06:15 AM
Agree with BEEJ, and we have repeated for years now the same approach and it has not worked. We need action now not 31/8.

Hainan Hibs
06-08-2012, 06:26 AM
We should also be asking why other teams with significantly less resources than ourselves can put together teams that finish in the top 6 while we have a squad that narrowly missed relegation.

We can say that League 1 teams outbid us, but it doesn't mean much when teams pay less in wages and finish higher than us.

GreenCastle
06-08-2012, 06:34 AM
Few things which Hibs need to re-evaluate

1 - Salary Cap - better players should get slightly more - this limits who we bring in.

2 - Scouting network - useless - we have the wrong people looking for players in only a small area. Are you telling me we couldn't pick up a better player than Stevens ? I have seen better players playing non league who could do a job.

3 - RP dealing with agents - from what I have heard / been told doesn't deal with several agents.

4 - Shortlist of players - planning ahead - not just waiting to the final reduction sale - usually players are picked up at the end as they aren't good enough / inconsistent.

5 - Loans v Longer Term - loans can work (McPake for example) but too many creates instability.

6 - Hibs youth set up - coaches. Seems like we are left being by the yams with bringing through players - someone has be held accountable.

Brizo
06-08-2012, 07:21 AM
From being at game yesterday it was obvious what Dundee Utd have as a club is stability. Managerial stability with Houston replacing Potter and continuing the same style of play. United lose players and replace them with others who fit into the Dundee United system. They have a couple of real flair players but overall theyre operating in the same transfer market as us. What they have is a system and they buy players they know will fit into that system.

Unlike United we have no system , no consistent approach to how we play as a club, the mythical Hibs style being just that. We go from manager to manager each bringing in their own ideas and their own types of players.

At the root of all the problems at our club is instabiility. Managerial conveyor belt and panic last minute signings has led to a revolving door of failing managers and players. its a vicious circle and one that in todays sacking culture will be difficult to change.

Hibs signing policy , and id suggest policy gives it too much credit, is a direct result of our instability.

Pretty Boy
06-08-2012, 07:30 AM
So far I have seen nothing to suggest we actually have a policy. Looks to me like we just muddle through each transfer window as they come along.

This.

I see no evidence from the last 3 or 4 seasons that we actually have a clear transfer policy.

gbur123ukgb
06-08-2012, 07:59 AM
clearly the policy is wait till 31/8 for players by that time it is only crap which is left and petrie can offer less.
This man must be brought to task for his dreadful record in terms of managers mark my words fenlon will be sacked just before the agm as scrooge doesnt want anyone talking about him.
Also after getting humped 5-1 in a cup final by biggest rivals he/ tom famrer should have been moving heaven and earth to get the club back to where it belongs. Until petrie goes nothing will change he is an arrogant twat to boot and bet a number of players will never sign for hibs as long as petrie is there.
He has pissed agents off with penny pinching not paying for hotels etc for plyers who we would like to sign.
Also we would be able to attract better quality managers if old petrie was not there at all we have to do something anout this folks the time has come to stand up and be counted a protest before and after hearts game would be a clear message and also anti petrie chants live on telly would go a long way to letting him know we are not happy
:flag::flag:

LeighLoyal
06-08-2012, 08:23 AM
We got Osbourne late on last year and he turned out to be a decent player. Maybe it pays to wait, better that than panic buy.

Albion Hibs
06-08-2012, 08:27 AM
I think our biggest problem without a doubt is not the players, but the managers that we are bringing in, and more significantly the constant change. Succesful teams are built over a period of time regardless of what level they compete at. We change our manager every year and with that comes the constant change of players so they can "bring in their own team". There is no way a team that is night and day from the one before will come in over a few months.

The board need to find the right manager, maybe he has been and gone, but this constant change of manager and player is not working and i am sure leads to the $9&unking up against the wall of a fair amout of money, money which could be much better spent elsewhere.

Andy74
06-08-2012, 08:29 AM
Agree with BEEJ, and we have repeated for years now the same approach and it has not worked. We need action now not 31/8.

What same approach though?

This year we got some players in early, we need more of course but I think it's been complicated with the Rangers thing that hopefully now is a bit clearer.

Felnon is also taking a different approach from your man in that he is not just going to sign anyone, he will only go for the right players and right characters.

He is obviously gambling on them being available or having to go with what he has for a longer spell.

I'm not really getting what people are suggesting our policy is? Seems to me it's trying to get the players we want, but that we can afford.

The likes of Dundee Utd and Hearts have built teams over years.

We all seem to have accepted the club needed a rebuild but not many seem willing to sit it out and see it through.

Beefster
06-08-2012, 08:36 AM

This year we got some players in early, we need more of course but I think it's been complicated with the Rangers thing that hopefully now is a bit clearer.

Felnon is also taking a different approach from your man in that he is not just going to sign anyone, he will only go for the right players and right characters.

He is obviously gambling on them being available or having to go with what he has for a longer spell.

I'm not really getting what people are suggesting our policy is? Seems to me it's trying to get the players we want, but that we can afford.

We all seem to have accepted the club needed a rebuild but not many seem willing to sit it out and see it through.

We've been rebuilding for about 3/4 years now. I don't think anyone involved with the club should be under the impression that the support's patience is the issue here.

Andy74
06-08-2012, 08:40 AM
We've been rebuilding for about 3/4 years now. I don't think anyone involved with the club should be under the impression that the support's patience is the issue here.

The 3/4 year thing isn't relevant right now, we changed manager, he has had to rebuild what was here and we are only at the start of that.

Is there anything wrong with his policy of getting better players and characters than we had before?

If not we need to let him get on with it. It will take time.

There isn't an alternative to were we are now.

Albion Hibs
06-08-2012, 08:40 AM

I am completely happy to go through this, i was kind of hoping we may have started by now. But even worse than that, and i said this last year so not a knee jerk reaction, Fenlon is not the right man to do it IMO.

I look at some of the players that left last few years - Murray, O'Connor, Riordan, Nish, Rankin, Van Zanten - each of these players would have walked into yesterdays team and playing against the current lot they would give them a going over IMO (accepting of course we would need another 6 of them!!!).

Andy74
06-08-2012, 08:43 AM
I am completely happy to go through this, i was kind of hoping we may have started by now. But even worse than that, and i said this last year so not a knee jerk reaction, Fenlon is not the right man to do it IMO.

I look at some of the players that left last few years - Murray, O'Connor, Riordan, Nish, Rankin, Van Zanten - each of these players would have walked into yesterdays team and playing against the current lot they would give them a going over IMO (accepting of course we would need another 6 of them!!!).

Though the players Fenlon has brought in aren't the problem, are they?

It's the fact we still have Stephens, Stevenson, Wotherspoon, Sproule etc playing roles in the team when they shouldn't be and little esle as back up.

We need to work through Fenlon getting more of the players and characters he wants in. Replacing 16 in one go is a tough ask.

Albion Hibs
06-08-2012, 08:49 AM
Though the players Fenlon has brought in aren't the problem, are they?

It's the fact we still have Stephens, Stevenson, Wotherspoon, Sproule etc playing roles in the team when they shouldn't be and little esle as back up.

We need to work through Fenlon getting more of the players and characters he wants in. Replacing 16 in one go is a tough ask.

Dont agree. Fenlon has had just as many windows as CC, and I dont see a better team now than i did post his summer window. The above four were bad yesterday as were Clancy, McPake, Doyle and his choice of LB and CM that were sitting on the bench and deemed not good enough would not have been any better.

Beefster
06-08-2012, 08:52 AM
The 3/4 year thing isn't relevant right now, we changed manager, he has had to rebuild what was here and we are only at the start of that.

Is there anything wrong with his policy of getting better players and characters than we had before?

If not we need to let him get on with it. It will take time.

There isn't an alternative to were we are now.

It's absolutely relevant to a lot of the folk who have had to pay thousands to endure the constant rebuilding, I would imagine.

His policy is great too but I'm fairly sure that every single manager would have policy.