PDA

View Full Version : Ben Williams

R'Albin
05-08-2012, 02:56 PM
What did everyone make of him? I was pretty impressed, he looked a little shakey at the beginning but I thought overall he was solid. That save from the cross he should've came out for was unbelievable. He was constantly shouting and his distribution was decent enough.

Liam89
05-08-2012, 03:05 PM
Thought he was solid, the issue is the donkeys in front of him.

NorthNorfolkHFC
05-08-2012, 03:08 PM
Looks a class above our dross.

blackpoolhibs
05-08-2012, 03:10 PM
Probably the one positive today? Should be a stick on for player of the year.

IWasThere2016
05-08-2012, 03:16 PM
Agree with all above.

Bobo
05-08-2012, 03:21 PM
Looks like we have a very capable keeper, pity there's so much turd standing in front of him. Think he's in for a pretty busy season unfortunately.

down-the-slope
05-08-2012, 03:22 PM
The best thing with this is that the manager / staff can spot a player and we managed to do that when he had better offers cash wise elsewhere.....now we just need that smae template another 4 or 5 times :rolleyes:

truehibernian
05-08-2012, 03:24 PM
My view was that there were 3 occasions first half where he could have come but stalled - definitely wasn't helped by the lampost that was David Stephens - but his save from Daly was top drawer.

Looked composed on the deck when the ball was played back - telling point for me was when James had an easy pass to Stephens after 15-20 minutes yet elected to pass back to Williams - says it all for me as to how he rates Stephens.

Only issue today was the constant kick outs to Leigh up top - both Williams and McPake should have been demanding the team play higher up the pitch, but there should have been options right and left to start play from the back. Easy for me to say right enough, and not helped that our midfield 5, yes 5, couldn't even keep a ball from a throw in, or retain the ball for longer than 3 passes in there.

Hugely hugely worried about that midfield area after seeing today. Our defence will be under immense pressure unless this is rectified immediately and goals will be leaked regularly no matter how good Williams looks.

neilmartinrocks
05-08-2012, 03:50 PM
My view was that there were 3 occasions first half where he could have come but stalled - definitely wasn't helped by the lampost that was David Stephens - but his save from Daly was top drawer.

Looked composed on the deck when the ball was played back - telling point for me was when James had an easy pass to Stephens after 15-20 minutes yet elected to pass back to Williams - says it all for me as to how he rates Stephens.

Only issue today was the constant kick outs to Leigh up top - both Williams and McPake should have been demanding the team play higher up the pitch, but there should have been options right and left to start play from the back. Easy for me to say right enough, and not helped that our midfield 5, yes 5, couldn't even keep a ball from a throw in, or retain the ball for longer than 3 passes in there.

Hugely hugely worried about that midfield area after seeing today. Our defence will be under immense pressure unless this is rectified immediately and goals will be leaked regularly no matter how good Williams looks.

I can think of 3 times in the second half when he claimed the ball only to have to back up because a defender blocked him from it. Looks good though couple of good stops. As far as the kickouts go wasn't left with many options the furthest up the pitch i seen our players was when they restarted after each goal.

DH1875
05-08-2012, 07:50 PM
Today would have been a lot worse if it wasn't for him. The only positive from today :agree:.

hibsbollah
05-08-2012, 07:56 PM
He's very very vocal. Seemed to be more of a organising captain than McPake today. Will need the Halls soothers tonight.

Emerald
05-08-2012, 08:00 PM
I was delighted last week to see him throwing the ball out and trying to create attacks at every opportunity. At last a keeper who doesn't just punt it up the park. But today thats all he did! I think he looks a good keeper and on last weeks showing he knows how to get things moving from the back, so what changed today. I really can't get my head round it. I know Utd were pressing us but there were loads of opportunities for him to throw the ball out but chose not to. We lost possession nearly every time he kicked it up the park but kept it going for 90 minutes FFS. :dunno:

Macaroon
05-08-2012, 08:03 PM
As a goalkeeper myself I can tell you how incredibly hard it is to pull off the save he did. First of all he won't have actually seen it until very late. His positioning was immaculate and on top of the fantastic reactions he managed to get enough on it to turn it round the post. Unbelievable save.

hibsbollah
05-08-2012, 08:03 PM
I was delighted last week to see him throwing the ball out and trying to create attacks at every opportunity. At last a keeper who doesn't just punt it up the park. But today thats all he did! I think he looks a good keeper and on last weeks showing he knows how to get things moving from the back, so what changed today. I really can't get my head round it. I know Utd were pressing us but there were loads of opportunities for him to throw the ball out but chose not to. We lost possession nearly every time he kicked it up the park but kept it going for 90 minutes FFS. :dunno:

Its likely he was told to punt it long :dunno:

Heisenberg
05-08-2012, 08:14 PM
Its likely he was told to punt it long :dunno:

It's also quite likely that the players in front of him weren't willing to take responsibility to take the ball short and start of move off.

Emerald
05-08-2012, 08:18 PM
It's also quite likely that the players in front of him weren't willing to take responsibility to take the ball short and start of move off.

Don't know if you were at the game and if not would not have seen from tv but there were times players were screaming on it to be played out early to them which was just ignored.

Heisenberg
05-08-2012, 08:21 PM
Don't know if you were at the game and if not would not have seen from tv but there were times players were screaming on it to be played out early to them which was just ignored.

Was able to catch the game on the telly, but it seemed like every time he collected the ball and looked for an option there wasnt one forthcoming. Maybe wasn't overly clear on tv mind you.

Emerald
05-08-2012, 08:24 PM
Was able to catch the game on the telly, but it seemed like every time he collected the ball and looked for an option there wasnt one forthcoming. Maybe wasn't overly clear on tv mind you.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't as if he had multiple choices or anything, just that the times he did have an opportunity he didn't take it, unlike last week.

blackpoolhibs
05-08-2012, 09:18 PM

friendly games are played at a snails pace, with little real pressure put on the players. When the real stuff starts, you see how pish we really are.