PDA

View Full Version : Bitter Billy Brown

H18sry
05-08-2012, 11:04 AM
Spraffing shight on ESPN :giruy:

ian cruise
05-08-2012, 11:07 AM
Splaffing shight on ESPN :giruy:

Was just about to post the same. Bitter man. Glad he is not at the club anymore. Everytime he opened his mouth I dislike him a little more.

Jamesie
05-08-2012, 11:07 AM
Bit rich for him to be sitting there bemoaning the fact he only found out four days before his contract expired that it wouldn't be renewed.

Did he really expect to be offered a new deal after finding the Cup Final such a "difficult day"?

IndieHibby
05-08-2012, 11:09 AM
That's exactly the title of the thread that I was thinking of!

TBF, if true, being told 4 days before his contract was up that it wouldn't be renewed, then perhaps he has a point.

But that's football and he is more than capable of looking after himself.

Some of his previous media comments, however, mean he gets little sympathy from me!

Jamesie
05-08-2012, 11:14 AM
Oh he's relishing this opportunity to have a go isn't he?

heidtheba
05-08-2012, 11:14 AM

TBF, if true, being told 4 days before his contract was up that it wouldn't be renewed, then perhaps he has a point.

Some of his previous media comments, however, mean he gets little sympathy from me!

Just had a dig at Rod's "buy tickets so we can buy players" idea too. I liked Billy Brown but the Cup Final comments weren't what I'd expect from any player or management team member at Hibs.

IndieHibby
05-08-2012, 11:17 AM
Now he says "hibs should buy players to encourage people to buy season tickets" not vice versa!

Getting stuck in to Petrie! Bitter, bitter billy brown!

NORTHERNHIBBY
Completely missing the point that accepted protocol would have been for Fenlon to ask him to take the long walk as soon as he took over. There was not exactly a huge clamour for his services though. Pundits must get a set fee for gigs like this, and every pointless comment should see a percentage of that go to charity. That should see needy causes getting a boost and spraffers disappearing from the screens.

ian cruise

Agree totally, he's been in the game long enough to know how it works, I'm sure he's had players in the same position when he's been at clubs before. If it was me and the new contract wasn't signed 4 days before mine ran out then I'd be looking elsewhere as I'd have an idea something might be up. Incredibly foolish of him not to forsee that scenario might have happened.

Steve20
Just had a dig at Rod's "buy tickets so we can buy players" idea too.

What he said was spot on about that. Can't keep expecting people to buy in blind faith. Bring the players in that will attract people back.

JimBHibees

Disagree he was taken on as a short term basis which he knew hence the 1 year deal. He must have known that his position was up in the air to suggest he was treated badly is nonsense. I could have had a job he says well no-one was stopping you taking it you chose not to.

Interesting the discussion about Scottish football interesting that nothing was mentioned about kick off times or the impact that live games has on attendances injudicious not to mention this as a factor.

zlatan
05-08-2012, 11:18 AM
Other than the wee dig at the start everything he has said so far has been spot on.

IndieHibby
05-08-2012, 11:23 AM
Just had a dig at Rod's "buy tickets so we can buy players" idea too. I liked Billy Brown but the Cup Final comments weren't what I'd expect from any player or management team member at Hibs.

Agreed. Silly Yam.

blackpoolhibs
05-08-2012, 11:26 AM
Now he says "hibs should buy players to encourage people to buy season tickets" not vice versa!

He's not wrong in my opinion.

NorthNorfolkHFC
05-08-2012, 11:26 AM
He is taking his TV opportunity to have a right go at Hibs and Petrie, however I kind of agree with his point over season tickets.

Hibs should be making the effort to buy players to entice fans not the other way around. Nobody is under obligation to turn up.

heidtheba
05-08-2012, 11:27 AM
Oh I understand where he was coming from but why have a pop at Rod's management and not Mad Vlad's? Jumbo and Billy brought in players they couldn't afford then and possibly will still struggle to pay at least once this year (based on previous years). Why not have a pop at that? That style of management is far more irresponsible and has lead to Scottish football being in the situation it is in today.

Spike Mandela
05-08-2012, 11:29 AM

Can't say I disagree with this sentiment though.:confused:

NorthNorfolkHFC
05-08-2012, 11:34 AM
Oh I understand where he was coming from but why have a pop at Rod's management and not Mad Vlad's? Jumbo and Billy brought in players they couldn't afford then and possibly will still struggle to pay at least once this year (based on previous years). Why not have a pop at that? That style of management is far more irresponsible and has lead to Scottish football being in the situation it is in today.

As much as Mad Vlad is irresponsible I worry that he is learning how to run things properly.

Hearts have showed ambition by signing good players and a cracking manager last year. They have realised they need to cut corners so reduced their wage bills and costs this year but have retained a fairly decent squad and have also recorded a result against their rivals that will never be forgotten. All of this time they have a greater fan base.

Massive devil's advocate here!

J-C
05-08-2012, 11:36 AM
He is taking his TV opportunity to have a right go at Hibs and Petrie, however I kind of agree with his point over season tickets.

Hibs should be making the effort to buy players to entice fans not the other way around. Nobody is under obligation to turn up.

We're only talking of paying a wee bit extra for good quality players, we've seemingly missed out due to not offering enough, offer them more and the extra punters will cover the cost of the wages, not rocket science.

IndieHibby
05-08-2012, 11:36 AM
Disagree he was taken on as a short term basis which he knew hence the 1 year deal. He must have known that his position was up in the air to suggest he was treated badly is nonsense. I could have had a job he says well no-one was stopping you taking it you chose not to.
Fair point. Glad we L'ed TYF

easty
05-08-2012, 11:37 AM
In an ideal world Petrie would have magic-ed up some money to buy players before the fans bought season tickets. It's not an ideal world though, and we tend to need money to spend money.

Billy Brown is a fud. I didnt want him appointed in the first place and he did absolutely nothing to improve us in his time at the club. I wouldn't have even given him the decency of 4 days notice, I would have let the contract run out and if he then turned up at East Mains the day after I would have had him told to **** right off.

IndieHibby
05-08-2012, 11:38 AM
Can't say I disagree with this sentiment though.:confused:

Neither did I :wink:

heidtheba
05-08-2012, 11:40 AM
As much as Mad Vlad is irresponsible I worry that he is learning how to run things properly.

Hearts have showed ambition by signing good players and a cracking manager last year. They have realised they need to cut corners so reduced their wage bills and costs this year but have retained a fairly decent squad and have also recorded a result against their rivals that will never be forgotten. All of this time they have a greater fan base.

Can't disagree with any of that sadly!

Spike Mandela
05-08-2012, 11:42 AM

At what point do we have to concede the Mad one has actually been good for Hearts? 2 Scottish cups, second place finish, regular Europe including Champions League and Europa group stages, superb derby record, consistent top six, large crowds and never a dull moment. Compared to our record over same period it reads pretty good.

If the financial house of cards comes tumbling down there may be some gloating to do but most Hibs fans would be a whole lot happier today if that was our record.

JimBHibees
05-08-2012, 11:44 AM
Fair point. Glad we L'ed TYF

Couldnt agree more. PF needs his own team with him and not someone who wanted the job and finds it difficult in a cup final via our biggest rivals.

500miles
05-08-2012, 11:48 AM

Having met Billy personally, as he was kind enough to present a few of the boys I work with, with thier Queen's badge, I have to say he is a nice guy, who does nothing other than speak candidly. I may not always agree with him, but he's a good sort who pre-dates the modern poisonous hatred that exists in the mind of some supporters. He openly admits that he doesn't need to chase the dollar anymore, he simply enjoys being in football.
Indeed, I would give him the time of day long before a number of people who manifest thier poison on this board.
Has he got a right to feel jilted? Yes. However, that's the way of football at the moment so he left with my best wishes, and a bit of sympathy.

Barney McGrew
05-08-2012, 11:49 AM
At what point do we have to concede the Mad one has actually been good for Hearts? 2 Scottish cups, second place finish, regular Europe including Champions League and Europa group stages, superb derby record, consistent top six, large crowds and never a dull moment. Compared to our record over same period it reads

I'm sure any team that had *****ed £30m over what they'd taken in up the wall over the same period would have done OK.

For that sort of spend I'd be expecting at least third place every season. It could easily be argued that they've underachieved massively.

To get back to the point of the thread though, Billy Brown is a Jambo welt.

The Falcon
05-08-2012, 11:52 AM
Hearts have showed ambition by signing good players and a cracking manager last year. They have realised they need to cut corners so reduced their wage bills and costs this year

I am not sure thats right MH. Their last accounts showed a minor drop in wages but those accounts were only for 11 months and I am pretty sure that when it was averaged out and extended to a 12 momnth period they actually paid more than the previous seaason. Add to that that Vlad actuall funded them (debt forgiveness) over the last two (published) seasons to the tune of about £17m, over and above what they brought in, I am not so sure if they have learned anything or it's merely that Vlad's bank is sick of puting tons of cash in for zero return.

edwards
05-08-2012, 11:55 AM

As much as I would love Hibs to be able to compete with the unwashed from the BPBS we don't have someone who is prepared to pay all these wages as Vlad does, Herts may have a big fan base but they still don't have enough fans to pay off their debt,It's still down to Vlad sticking his hand in his pocket to cough up the wages and paying the debt. Still think the likes of Templton and various others will be off before the end of August
They went and won the cup and are in europe but still haven,t managed to attract a buyer.
Your not telling me that Billy Brown didn't know he was going to get emptied once Pat had brought in his own man, he has been around football for years he must have had an inclination. :wink:
He should have been testing the waters elsewhere or is it down to the fact no one wants him,

hibsdownunder
05-08-2012, 12:03 PM
Hard to feel sympathy, football is a results game and with Billy the team didn't get results, if we had finished mid table and won the cup he would have earned the contract - we didn't and I'm sure Billy would have known that any extension was unlikely. Get it off his chest and move on......

ian cruise
05-08-2012, 12:22 PM
We're only talking of paying a wee bit extra for good quality players, we've seemingly missed out due to not offering enough, offer them more and the extra punters will cover the cost of the wages, not rocket science.

I'm sure Dundee Utd didn't pay masses for Mackay Stevens or Johnny Russell and they will be in no way on massive wages. We don't need to pay more, we need to find better players at lower level. I'm hoping that the signing of Cairney is the start of this.

J-C
05-08-2012, 12:40 PM
I'm sure Dundee Utd didn't pay masses for Mackay Stevens or Johnny Russell and they will be in no way on massive wages. We don't need to pay more, we need to find better players at lower level. I'm hoping that the signing of Cairney is the start of this.

Ah therein lies the problem, the wondrous scouting system that Hibs seem to use to find gems of players :confused:

ian cruise
05-08-2012, 01:37 PM
Ah therein lies the problem, the wondrous scouting system that Hibs seem to use to find gems of players :confused:

agree. We have been poor at both that and at bringing through our own younsters over the last few years. this season looks to have rectified the latter, lets just hope the young boys get a chance to develop. I've actually though Wotherspoon has looked decent today, though as a team we have been poor

grunt
05-08-2012, 02:05 PM
As much as Mad Vlad is irresponsible I worry that he is learning how to run things properly. Hearts have showed ambition by signing good players and a cracking manager last year. They have realised they need to cut corners so reduced their wage bills and costs this year but have retained a fairly decent squad and have also recorded a result against their rivals that will never be forgotten. All of this time they have a greater fan base.

Massive devil's advocate here!Sorry but I think this remains a fallacy until evidence is provided. In their last accounts, up to June 2011, they were still paying out £1.16 in wages for every £1 income they took in. Taking into account all their costs last year, they spent £1.99 for every £1 they took in. That is completely unsustainable unless you have a sugar daddy like Vlad willing to stump up the difference. Their wage bill was £8m, ours was £4.8m for the same period.

None of this makes our current position any more palatable, but please don't tell me that Hearts run things properly.

MrRobot
05-08-2012, 02:08 PM
**** it, pretty much saying it as it is. We are proper bad

PISTOL1875
05-08-2012, 02:14 PM
People can say what they like about BB and his comments but they have been spot on , especially the bit about buying season tickets to buy players line..

He had his dig at the start but that's beside the point..

His comments on the game and highlighting our terrible defending are far more important than what people's views are on him leaving Hibs..

We as a club should be worrying more about how David Stephens calls himself a defender and can't do the basics of covering your centre half partner for the third goal...........

gillythehibby
05-08-2012, 02:27 PM

Don't see the bitterness actually. I see the truth. It's up to senr Management to provide a team for the fans to turn out. If they can't live up to that expectation then put the club up for sale. Hibs at this time bore me. I love them dearly but like alot of us the depress and sadden me. We are going nowhere fast. Forget sacking managers. This is down to quality and we are not prepared to pay for it. Saying that Mr Fenlon, one up front and 2 sitting in front of the defence ? fk off. !!!! If hibs played as good as they looked in that strip, we'd win the league. Pity eh?

ian cruise
05-08-2012, 02:31 PM
People can say what they like about BB and his comments but they have been spot on , especially the bit about buying season tickets to buy players line..

He had his dig at the start but that's beside the point..

His comments on the game and highlighting our terrible defending are far more important than what people's views are on him leaving Hibs..

We as a club should be worrying more about how David Stephens calls himself a defender and can't do the basics of covering your centre half partner for the third goal...........

Yup his comments were accurate as to the problems Hibs have. Similar situation when he used to say those comments last season about the problems Hibs had. My issue has aalways been - what are you/did you ever do to fix it Billy? It's one thing identifying the problem, we have a message full of folk here who can see the probelms. During his time here he never contributed anything to stop the rot. Ok we were bad, very bad today, but we weren't any better for having him there last season.

PISTOL1875
05-08-2012, 02:38 PM
Yup his comments were accurate as to the problems Hibs have. Similar situation when he used to say those comments last season about the problems Hibs had. My issue has aalways been - what are you/did you ever do to fix it Billy? It's one thing identifying the problem, we have a message full of folk here who can see the probelms. During his time here he never contributed anything to stop the rot. Ok we were bad, very bad today, but we weren't any better for having him there last season.

When Ray Stubbs first asked him about being told he could go , I thought his comments were sour grapes and it was gonna be a afternoon of putting the boot in due to being bitter but as the build up went on , he was spot on with everything he said and again at HT and FT in his analisyis.. NO Hibs fan can have any complaints about what BB has had to say today as he has basically said what the facts are..

NorthNorfolkHFC
05-08-2012, 02:41 PM
Absolutely. As assistant there was only so much he could change.

Billy Brown showed no sour grapes. Just said it as it is.

LeighLoyal
05-08-2012, 03:23 PM
I'd rather have Brown in charge just now. I.E an honest football man who speaks sense. Stupid decision to punt him anyway.

GreenCastle
05-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Sounded like he was talking sense to me.

Whether or not he did enough to influence it during his time is another debate.

There is no hiding away from the fact Hibs fans have suffered so much and the club/board should be doing more to get fans back on side - we have become worse since last season.

Eyrie
05-08-2012, 04:14 PM
Whether or not you regard his comments about his departure from Hibs as sour grapes, I found it refreshing that a pundit actually gave a blunt answer. If the saving on his wage helps get a decent player in, then I'm fine with him getting the boot.

NorthNorfolkHFC
05-08-2012, 04:26 PM
Sorry but I think this remains a fallacy until evidence is provided. In their last accounts, up to June 2011, they were still paying out £1.16 in wages for every £1 income they took in. Taking into account all their costs last year, they spent £1.99 for every £1 they took in. That is completely unsustainable unless you have a sugar daddy like Vlad willing to stump up the difference. Their wage bill was £8m, ours was £4.8m for the same period.

None of this makes our current position any more palatable, but please don't tell me that Hearts run things properly.

Never said Hearts run things properly and I don't care what their official accounts say. If they eventually fold i'll eat my hat but the facts are:

Hearts have had more success than us. Have had/have better players than us. Have a bigger fan base than us. Have been in Europe relatively consistently. Beaten their rivals more often than us.

They are maybe not run properly but their business is their business. As far as we know nothing they have done is illegal so they can do it how they want, who are we to say its proper or not.

The bottom line is the football team has entertained the fans, and the fans have continued to support them.Whats also worrying is that many young kids without family influence are choosing to support Hearts because of these facts.

JimBHibees
05-08-2012, 04:36 PM
I'd rather have Brown in charge just now. I.E an honest football man who speaks sense. Stupid decision to punt him anyway.

Ridiculous comment.

Stuarty27
05-08-2012, 04:39 PM
He spoke the truth and was 100% in what he was saying,

We are a mess

PISTOL1875
05-08-2012, 04:44 PM
Never said Hearts run things properly and I don't care what their official accounts say. If they eventually fold i'll eat my hat but the facts are:

Hearts have had more success than us. Have had/have better players than us. Have a bigger fan base than us. Have been in Europe relatively consistently. Beaten their rivals more often than us.

They are maybe not run properly but their business is their business. As far as we know nothing they have done is illegal so they can do it how they want, who are we to say its proper or not.

The bottom line is the football team has entertained the fans, and the fans have continued to support them.Whats also worrying is that many young kids without family influence are choosing to support Hearts because of these facts.

exactly mate , Vlad is in there to get the job done and not to make friends.. Since he has been in charge there , hes picked up 2 Scottish Cups and had a shot at the Champions League.. He doesn't care about reputations or ability , if you aren't on the same page when it comes to signing contracts etc then you don't play etc.. Say what you like but its effective..

basehibby
05-08-2012, 05:15 PM
Having met Billy personally, as he was kind enough to present a few of the boys I work with, with thier Queen's badge, I have to say he is a nice guy, who does nothing other than speak candidly. I may not always agree with him, but he's a good sort who pre-dates the modern poisonous hatred that exists in the mind of some supporters. He openly admits that he doesn't need to chase the dollar anymore, he simply enjoys being in football.
Indeed, I would give him the time of day long before a number of people who manifest thier poison on this board.
Has he got a right to feel jilted? Yes. However, that's the way of football at the moment so he left with my best wishes, and a bit of sympathy.

I agree that BB comes accross as a decent sort of guy, however, sometimes his candidness crosses the line to the point of a total lack of professionalism.

His Cup Final comments should clearly have been kept to himself, but the one which was most jaw dropping for me was the newly appointed BB sitting on Sportscene and casually (and as it turned out wrongly) accusing one of his own charges in GOC of diving to win a penalty. As well as actively creating a negative impression of one of our players amongst officials up and down the country this also had the effect of almost getting one of our (at the time) top performers banned FFS!
This by itself was arguably a sacking offence so I don't have any problem with the decision to let Brown go. The reason for not breaking the news to him until after the cup final was quite probably to do with motivation - he was part of the coaching team and may not have bothered his erse if he knew he was about to leave.

NorthNorfolkHFC
05-08-2012, 05:20 PM
I wonder if Billy was asked to leave because he disagreed with Petrie?

Billy is correct, you have to speculate to accumulate. That wouldnt bode well with the tache.

The Falcon
05-08-2012, 06:13 PM
I wonder if Billy was asked to leave because he disagreed with Petrie?

Billy is correct, you have to speculate to accumulate. That wouldnt bode well with the tache.

Who in football has done that succesfully? I give you Celtic but remember they also were minutes from being wiped out. Any others you can think of?

NOLA
05-08-2012, 07:16 PM
[QUOTE=IndieHibby;3313508]Now he says "hibs should buy players to encourage people to buy season tickets" not vice versa!

i agree with him to be fair

clerriehibs
05-08-2012, 07:58 PM

Wrong.

He was on a fixed term contract. Its end was imminent. Did he ask if it would be renewed? If he didn't, then he should have. If he did, and he wasn't given a straight answer, then he should have been looking for a new job anyway. If he asked and was told that it would be renewed, then maybe he has a point - but I seriously doubt that was the case.