View Full Version : Gary Deegan (merged)

McPake6
03-08-2012, 09:33 PM
Gary Deegan is signing according to Sky Blues talk. Wouldnt be surprised considering he played under Fenlon at Bohemians, if this is true, I'm very happy GGTTH:thumbsup:

03-08-2012, 09:35 PM
Certainly rumoured back in jan

03-08-2012, 09:37 PM
A hard working, aggressive midfielder according to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Deegan)* so just what we need :aok:

Let's hope it's true.

*And yes, I'm deliberately ignoring his ill-omened nickname.

McPake6
03-08-2012, 09:44 PM
Heard he has confirmed a deal and he will be unveiled tomorrow...

03-08-2012, 09:49 PM
A hard working, aggressive midfielder according to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Deegan)* so just what we need :aok:

Let's hope it's true.

*And yes, I'm deliberately ignoring his ill-omened nickname.

Everyone needs two of those.

03-08-2012, 09:50 PM
Wiki quote . Nicknamed " the Pitbull" ! Eh ?? :cb

03-08-2012, 09:51 PM
Looks a decent signing going by Wiki. Seems a bit radge, which we kinda miss in midfield these days.

ruthven_raiders
03-08-2012, 09:55 PM
Looks a decent signing going by Wiki. Seems a bit radge, which we kinda miss in midfield these days.

So long as he doesn't use twitter;o) he will be a good signing!

Easter Road X1
03-08-2012, 09:55 PM
He is the type of player that we lacked in midfield, its just a pity that he will not come up against The Painter.

03-08-2012, 09:57 PM
Considering the bad press that a lot of our players have brought upon the club over recent seasons, I think we could probably do without THIS (http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/coventry-city-player-deegans-ira-tweet-probed-16177868.html) sort of thing being associated with our club. :rolleyes:

That'll be a "no" from me.

03-08-2012, 10:00 PM
This would be a great signing!

McPake6
03-08-2012, 10:02 PM
Considering the bad press that a lot of our players have brought upon the club over recent seasons, I think we could probably do without THIS (http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/coventry-city-player-deegans-ira-tweet-probed-16177868.html) sort of thing being associated with our club. :rolleyes:

So you would rather play Lewis Stevenson instead of this guy, who may have a bit of a bad history, but what matters is what he does on the park!!! And by the looks of things, he seems a good talent:wink:

03-08-2012, 10:02 PM

I'm pretty sure you wont be asked either way FH? :wink:

03-08-2012, 10:04 PM

Hopefully he's learned his lesson - if he does any of that stuff up here it'll be mayhem.

03-08-2012, 10:05 PM
He needs to go, injury prone, can't pass 5 yards, slow . This cc supporters obviously not a fan

Leitherhibs
03-08-2012, 10:06 PM
Heard this also, not from a reliable source by any means. A complete blether actually but happy if true. Ira comment just a laugh, i accept it was a tad misguided though, we do need characters he seems to fit the bill.

03-08-2012, 10:07 PM
Hopefully he's learned his lesson - if he does any of that stuff up here it'll be mayhem.

Or it could lead to a multi million pound transfer to Celtic? :wink:

andrew70
03-08-2012, 10:08 PM
Will be a great signing if it happens but I can't wait to see how the Hun loving media spin this story.

Hibs sign terrorist sympathiser....

03-08-2012, 10:13 PM
People saying "good signing" etc....What are they basing this on? Never heard of him.

03-08-2012, 10:18 PM
People saying "good signing" etc....What are they basing this on? Never heard of him.

He played over 50 games for our manager , thatll do for me

03-08-2012, 10:20 PM
He played over 50 games for our manager , thatll do for me

Have you seen him play?

03-08-2012, 10:28 PM

Ah, the old i've never heard o' him so he must be ***** stance.

03-08-2012, 10:31 PM
Have you seen him play?

Watching him now on youtube

blaikie
03-08-2012, 10:32 PM
Garry O'Connor was a coke addict fraudster, this guy made a comment. Hardly the crime of the century, we sign him then great! The write up on wiki seems decent, better option than Mark Kerr.

03-08-2012, 10:34 PM
Ah, the old i've never heard o' him so he must be ***** stance.

At what point did I say he must be *****? :confused::confused:

03-08-2012, 10:35 PM
If true they don't sound too gutted on the skyblues website. Could just be sour grapes of course and we need to replace Ossie.

03-08-2012, 10:38 PM
need to make a song up for Deegsy

03-08-2012, 10:38 PM
If true they don't sound too gutted on the skyblues website. Could just be sour grapes of course and we need to replace Ossie.

They reacted the same when Mcpake left them, I'll wait till I see him play before making a judgement of course (that is if he's signing)

03-08-2012, 10:43 PM
At what point did I say he must be *****? :confused::confused:

You never said he was s**** but the way it comes out as i've never heard of him so you've dismissed him already.

03-08-2012, 10:49 PM
I have never seen him play, so have no idea if he's good or bad. I have seen Kerr, and he's pish. Hopefully he's better than him?

03-08-2012, 10:49 PM
Gary Deegan is signing according to Sky Blues talk. Wouldnt be surprised considering he played under Fenlon at Bohemians, if this is true, I'm very happy GGTTH:thumbsup:

Hmm! Certainly sounds Irish enough to be one of Pat's signings.

Rivers Cuomo
03-08-2012, 10:55 PM
Would be happy with this, just what we need.

By the sound of him, he will be sent off within 20 minutes with Craigy T in charge..
Sounds like the kind of dude we need in midfield, so to be fair if he's any good at all
at being an aggressive tackling midfielder type guy then Im encouraged. With a bit of protection, our man
Claros might actually get two milliseconds to make some nice passes - ala Russel Latapy/Mattias Jack.

:pfgwa

Needs to bin the IRA tweets, tongue in cheek or not.. :grr:

Stevo1875

i signed him on football manager once... very good player!! :greengrin

03-08-2012, 10:56 PM

I seem to recall CCFC fans saying James McPake was 'injury prone', 'won't be missed', 'mickey mouse league would suit him better'......of course they were then relegated and after we got him he became a topic for them to berate and criticise their owners for 'giving him away without a fee' !

Coventry are going through real hard times and their fans forum makes Hibs.Net look like football forum utopia.......they are even more manic depressive than us Hibs fans :greengrin

If we get Craig Forsyth and a striker then I will be very happy indeed.

The new TV deal gets ratified tomorrow (I think) and I get the impression that SPL clubs are breathing slightly easier.

03-08-2012, 10:56 PM
Sounds alright, never bothered to check his Wiki but I think I recall doing so in Jan and he was totally radge so that sounds like the one!

Going by the sounds of things he could be just the kind of player we need, not gonna get over excited though considering I've never seen him play!

03-08-2012, 10:57 PM
Hmm! Certainly sounds Irish enough to be one of Pat's signings.

Rubbish. How many Irish players has he actually signed? And if PF was English would weake a
Big deal about every Englishman he signed??

03-08-2012, 11:02 PM
He is the type of player that we lacked in midfield, its just a pity that he will not come up against The Painter.

cup game maybe :wink:

03-08-2012, 11:02 PM
Rubbish. How many Irish players has he actually signed? And if PF was English would weake a
Big deal about every Englishman he signed??

All of them.

03-08-2012, 11:07 PM
You never said he was s**** but the way it comes out as i've never heard of him so you've dismissed him already.

Wotherspiniesta's view is exactly the same as mine. People are saying 'would be a great signing' etc, and myself like Wotherspinesta are wondering why people think this. Where have they seen him play etc, what's he like. And how on earth would saying you have not heard of someone mean you think they are crap? :hilarious

03-08-2012, 11:17 PM
Another Coventry reject. Not what we need. :wink:

03-08-2012, 11:36 PM
In all seriousness though he seems like a bit of a twat, should be a good signing for us. Just what we need! :agree:

04-08-2012, 05:31 AM
need to make a song up for Deegsy

Surely we have to adopt 'Come on Eileen' every time he scores, come to think of it, no a bad song when anybody scores to play, certainly an Anthem of sorts

04-08-2012, 05:37 AM
The chat on sky blue doesn't seem too encouraging......

But then again they in general didn't rate McPake.

Most on here seem to rate so let's get him in.

Active, aggressive and nasty

Sounds like what we need.

If he signs in time for the game, I'm changing my bet from Williams to get sent off to him!

Or both

04-08-2012, 06:49 AM
My morning read before heading to work..

Summary...

Never heard of him he must be mince....

Never heard of him...just what we need....

A fans mesage board says he guff...

Wiki says hes good...

:thumbsup: .Net at its most ridiculous....gota love it

04-08-2012, 07:06 AM
My morning read before heading to work..

Summary...

Never heard of him he must be mince....

Never heard of him...just what we need....

A fans mesage board says he guff...

Wiki says hes good...

:thumbsup: .Net at its most ridiculous....gota love it

D7 Bohs
04-08-2012, 07:11 AM
He was great for us - signed the summer of our 'invincible' season and helped turn a stately march towards the title into a runaway train.

04-08-2012, 07:45 AM
Never heard of him but sounds like the type of midfielder we could do with.

andy1875
04-08-2012, 07:49 AM
Jeeeeees could this be the man that the side have been crying out for, but more importantly the player .net have been soooo desperate for?

The new Matty Jack! A tough ball winning midfielder.

This place will go into meltdown!:greengrin

04-08-2012, 08:04 AM
He was great for us - signed the summer of our 'invincible' season and helped turn a stately march towards the title into a runaway train.

Cheers. He might just do a job for us then :aok:

04-08-2012, 08:04 AM

Read his Wiki and it hints at similar.

Seemed to be out injured for a while at Coventry as well as a few suspensions but has played quite a lot of games at championship level

Sounds from it all ole he has a bit of dig about him.

Look forward to seeing him get wired in if he does sign

Him and Cairney sound as if they have a better more aggressive attitude than the last few seasons incumbents

04-08-2012, 08:11 AM

It was a ridiculous comment to make, and he should have known better. But he was disciplined for it, and hopefully wont do something like that again. If a distasteful comment is the worst he brings, I imagine he will be less of a problem than those in the past who have had drink/drug problems, regularly getting caught up in bother, and so on.

BarneyK
04-08-2012, 08:18 AM
It was a ridiculous comment to make, and he should have known better. But he was disciplined for it, and hopefully wont do something like that again. If a distasteful comment is the worst he brings, I imagine he will be less of a problem than those in the past who have had drink/drug problems, regularly getting caught up in bother, and so on.

Ill advised as it was, it does look like a bit of banter towards a team-mate. As it happens, Coventry is maybe not the best place to be joking about such a thing as they have some history of mainland IRA incidents. This maybe clouds some of the folk's wish to see the back of him.

04-08-2012, 08:19 AM

Down with this sort of thing :agree:

Gala Foxes
04-08-2012, 08:20 AM
A Cov City view on transfer

http://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/threads/18915-Deegan-to-hibs

04-08-2012, 08:37 AM
All of them.

That's what you think, don't you know Petrie personally signs all our player after scouting them himself via champ manager and gumtree :wink:

04-08-2012, 08:41 AM
Down with this sort of thing :agree:

Careful now.

04-08-2012, 08:49 AM
Has this guy even signed yet or are we all just continuing to speculate?? :confused:

04-08-2012, 08:54 AM

Not exactly awe inspiring !!

marti1875
04-08-2012, 09:03 AM
Has this guy even signed yet or are we all just continuing to speculate?? :confused:

Exactly my thoughts too....we only have speculation from Coventry fans as to him signing yet we're already talking about who he'll replace in midfield as if he's a confirmed signing...:confused:

04-08-2012, 09:05 AM
Not exactly awe inspiring !!

Never mind. The rumour mill© also says we're signing Martin McGuiness and Gerry Adams as overlapping full backs.

04-08-2012, 09:16 AM
Ment to be in the Telegragh, according to coventry fan.

BarneyK
04-08-2012, 09:18 AM
Ment to be in the Telegragh, according to coventry fan.

The Coventry Telegraph, I would imagine. Nowt in the online version so far.

04-08-2012, 09:22 AM
Exactly my thoughts too....we only have speculation from Coventry fans as to him signing yet we're already talking about who he'll replace in midfield as if he's a confirmed signing...:confused:

Whats the problem with people getting excited about potentially a new signing?

04-08-2012, 09:36 AM
quality comment on skyblues site

Originally Posted by LastGarrison

And here was me thinking he was more suited to Rangers or Hearts.

Astute replies

Hearts and who?

Personally I reckon he will be a good move, we need some grit in the midfield, some one to do the battling

04-08-2012, 09:38 AM
Never mind. The rumour mill© also says we're signing Martin McGuiness and Gerry Adams as overlapping full backs.

Bob Box Fish
04-08-2012, 09:41 AM

Sounds a quality player

04-08-2012, 09:43 AM
Sounds a quality player

They said the same when Mcpake signed for us the first time. Give the boy a chance.

04-08-2012, 09:45 AM
5' 9'', Not nearly tall enough to be a midfield enforcer. Surely he would make a better Leprechaun.

Perhaps we're going to have a group of Leprechaun Cheerleaders to gee up the crowd. :dunno:

I for one would buy a season ticket if that were the case.

Where's the 'tongue-in-cheek' smiley?

04-08-2012, 09:50 AM
Playing for the Bohs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Icmdr4iAUZU

sbell1875
04-08-2012, 09:59 AM

Signed him for Hibs in football manager last season after good scouting reports but he had requested a mutual termination of his contract by Christmas.

He's not for me I'm afraid! ;)

hibsmad
04-08-2012, 10:02 AM
I personally hope that he signs although I have never seen him play or have any idea how good he is.

My reason being that our current midfield is *****! Our midfield with this guy in it might not be *****.

Might not be ***** is better than definitely *****.

04-08-2012, 10:03 AM
Sounds a quality player

He does eh, mind you I wonder what Burnley fans thought of Fletcher when they looked on here ;)

04-08-2012, 10:06 AM
I'm in the never heard of him camp I'm afraid.

He sounds like just the sort of player we need though if you believe his publicity.

He sounds like just the sort of player we dont need if you believe the CCFC forum.

Time will tell I suppose ... The only good thing I can see is that Coventry were a team nose diving towards relegation and they didnt seem to think they needed McPake, who to me has proved that he's just the sort of guy you need when your back is against the wall. Lets hope CCFC have made the same mistake with Deegan.

Anyway ..... welcome to Hibs Mr Deegan, good luck to you.

04-08-2012, 10:22 AM

More a bit of ill advised banter than anything else IMO. Not a clever move but not the first or the last time a footballer will make a twat of himself on twitter.

As far as the player himself is concerned I really have no idea whether he'll be good bad or indifferent. What IS good news is that efforts have been made to reinforce a weak area ahead of the big KO. Also the fact that he has played for Fenlon bodes well as surely Fenlon must be confident that he will improve the team - otherwise why bother?

04-08-2012, 10:28 AM
Sounds a quality playerwell I'll wait until he's had a fair chance here before writing him off instead of doing it now based on some comments on a website.

04-08-2012, 10:37 AM
http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/coventry-city-fc/coventry-city-fc-news/2012/08/04/coventry-city-move-closer-to-signing-preston-north-end-s-adam-barton-92746-31547081/

marti1875
04-08-2012, 10:46 AM
Whats the problem with people getting excited about potentially a new signing?

Hmmmm...where exactly have i said it's a problem?? :confused:

All i said was some are talking as if he's actually SIGNED and who he's replacing when we have absolutely NOTHING official whatsoever, that's all. I don't see any "problem" and i certainly don't have any so called "problem" with it...just stating a fact that there's nothing official at all and prefer to pick the team and who he's going to replace once he's actually confirmed.

04-08-2012, 10:48 AM
And here was me thinking he was more suited to Rangers or Hearts. :whistle:

Hearts and who?

Thomson
04-08-2012, 11:05 AM
Gary Deegan confirmed via Hibs Texts :thumbsup:

Thomson
04-08-2012, 11:06 AM
1 year deal with number 7 shirt:thumbsup:

Www1875hfc
04-08-2012, 11:06 AM
The first couple of posts re his arrival at coventry.

Sounds exactly what we are needing,ah right hard dirty barsteward that every opposition hates.

http://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/threads/13736-Deegan-to-be-our-Roy-Keane

Thomson
04-08-2012, 11:07 AM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20120804/midfielder-joins-hibernian_2262950_2871222

Kaiser_Sauzee
04-08-2012, 11:08 AM
Confirmed on Twitter.

04-08-2012, 11:11 AM
Gary Deegan confirmed via Hibs Texts :thumbsup:

The text alert I received read "Gary Deegan??" - as if to say "WHO"?

04-08-2012, 11:12 AM
Delighted to see a midfielder signing. Hopefully he won't be the last.

marti1875
04-08-2012, 11:12 AM
Good...now it's confirmed we can all get on with debating who he'll be replacing in the midfield :greengrin

04-08-2012, 11:17 AM
Delighted to see a midfielder signing. Hopefully he won't be the last.

Pacy, reliable whinger/winger urgently required. Only those willing to work for the minimum wage need apply.

All applications to Rodders.

04-08-2012, 11:19 AM
Good...now it's confirmed we can all get on with debating who he'll be replacing in the midfield :greengrin

It's take your pick really isn't it?

04-08-2012, 11:20 AM
Is he available to play tomorrow?

04-08-2012, 11:22 AM
Welcome Gary

Mcpakeisgod
04-08-2012, 11:25 AM
Welcome Gary deegan!, hopefully one of those players that every other team loves to hate!

04-08-2012, 11:27 AM
Is he available to play tomorrow?

Nope not available tomorrow but plenty time for stud sharpening for the derby next week

Welcome aboard Garry :flag:

marti1875
04-08-2012, 11:28 AM
It's take your pick really isn't it?

Ha ha, Aye that's very true, i don't think he'll have to fight for his place somehow. Mind you, in saying that i know nothing really about him but he must be an improvement for sure as we're way too lightweight in midfield. Hopefully this is exactly what we've been needing :agree:

04-08-2012, 11:29 AM
A midfielder :thumbsup:

04-08-2012, 11:32 AM
Any idea if he's a defensive/ attacking midfielder?

TamHibs
04-08-2012, 11:35 AM
Any idea if he's a defensive/ attacking midfielder?

Attacking I think

04-08-2012, 11:45 AM
Nice one, another player to hopefully improve the team :thumbsup:

04-08-2012, 12:04 PM
Welcome aboard Gary, good luck in your Hibs career.

04-08-2012, 12:09 PM
That's what you think, don't you know Petrie personally signs all our player after scouting them himself via champ manager and gumtree :wink:

Kujabi was probably Petrie's signing.

DAVE1875
04-08-2012, 12:22 PM
Welcome aboard Gary. Hopefully this pitbull doesn't turn out to a be a chihuahua like Claros

04-08-2012, 12:39 PM

Would that be an ecumenical matter? :greengrin

04-08-2012, 12:40 PM
Having read the comments from the Coventry fans - " reminds me of Roy Keane - Really wouldn't fancy going for a 50-50 ball against him - a player who, if in your team you love but if not you hate" - sounds just like the type of c/midfielder we have been crying out for. As for some of the comments stating at 5'9" he is too small - Ian Black [spit], wasn't exactly a giant and how many times did he run the midfield for them - especialy against us. I for one am very pleased with this signing - now we need a target man up front and if I am being greedy , another c/h - please.

04-08-2012, 12:43 PM
Welcome Gary. Break some hearts players next week and you'll be an instant favourite.

Lets get a winger and a striker and we ll be set.

Any word on Craig Forsyth?

04-08-2012, 12:54 PM
Im really happy with him signing, but why only a 1 year deal?

04-08-2012, 12:56 PM
Welcome Gary. Break some hearts players next week and you'll be an instant favourite.

Lets get a winger and a striker and we ll be set.

Any word on Craig Forsyth?

Will be next week for Forsyth - if at all.

04-08-2012, 12:57 PM
Im really happy with him signing, but why only a 1 year deal?

Quite a few quotes from Coventry fans saying he is injury prone, and from the wording on the official site i think we might have an option on him.

04-08-2012, 01:02 PM
Will be next week for Forsyth - if at all.

Cheers :thumbsup:

04-08-2012, 01:08 PM
Where are all the bedwetters? We need someone on here telling us how dreadful a footballer he is.....

04-08-2012, 01:09 PM
Welcome Deegs !! Great stuff !!

04-08-2012, 01:18 PM
Would that be an ecumenical matter? :greengrin

Glad to see youre keeping up with the craggy Island references :aok:

No more Bob Marley in the dressing room for Ivan and co. Fenlon will be instituting a strict diet of 'Taters' potato crisps and wolfetones CDs, i predict.

04-08-2012, 01:21 PM
Boooooooo.

Not good enough, too small, Coventry fans don't rate him, cheap option again, if he was any good he would have been signed earlier, nobody else wanted him etc etc etc etc

04-08-2012, 01:25 PM
Boooooooo.

Not good enough, too small, Coventry fans don't rate him, cheap option again, if he was any good he would have been signed earlier, nobody else wanted him etc etc etc etc
I don't think you are being serious... we need genuine bedwetters....

berty_mee
04-08-2012, 01:28 PM
we'll just have to wait and see him play, by the sounds of it naeone on here has heard of him or seen him play.

coventry fans are slating him on their forum, as did we when rankin finally left and look at the job he's doing at tannadice now!!

fenlon's saying this morning he desperately needs to add to the squad, another midfielder with a bit of creativity on top of deegan and a striker, surely!!

04-08-2012, 01:29 PM
I don't think you are being serious... we need genuine bedwetters....

Joking aside why have we signed an injury prone midfielder from League 1?

04-08-2012, 01:33 PM

Wasn't all of his Coventry games in the Championship:confused:

04-08-2012, 01:36 PM
I know nothing about the player other than what I see on Wiki. The only injury mentioned there is a stress fracture to his ankle and unless there is a ton of stuff I don't know then that does not make him injury prone. Where do you get the information to back up an assertion that he is injury prone? Lastly, if PF says that he has been a long term target for him and that the player is technically very good as well as having an aggressive nature then that is good enough for me. High time we had a bully in there.

04-08-2012, 01:40 PM
Wasn't all of his Coventry games in the Championship:confused:

Don't let facts get in the way of a good moan.

04-08-2012, 01:42 PM
Glad to see youre keeping up with the craggy Island references :aok:

No more Bob Marley in the dressing room for Ivan and co. Fenlon will be instituting a strict diet of 'Taters' potato crisps and wolfetones CDs, i predict.

Sorry, bollah - what's this thread about again?

I was concentrating too hard on looking holy there .... :cb

04-08-2012, 01:43 PM
Don't let facts get in the way of a good moan.

Maybe i should of put a smilie on the end of my comment but i was replying to someone saying that we needed a serious bedwetter...i.e. i was joking.

Quite happy with his signing albeit i have never seen him play he sounds like the type of player that we have all been screaming out for, some width and some different options up front and i will be quite happy going into this season.

04-08-2012, 01:46 PM
McPake said he was buzzing with this signing, and he will be a fantastic player for us. I think we need to trust his and Pat's judgement

04-08-2012, 01:46 PM
Maybe i should of put a smilie on the end of my comment but i was replying to someone saying that we needed a serious bedwetter...i.e. i was joking.

Quite happy with his signing albeit i have never seen him play he sounds like the type of player that we have all been screaming out for, some width and some different options up front and i will be quite happy going into this season.

Fair enough.

There's been so much negativity on here lately It's hard to seperate the serious from the tongue in.cheek.

04-08-2012, 01:49 PM
Fair enough.

There's been so much negativity on here lately It's hard to seperate the serious from the tongue in.cheek.

Agreed it has been very negative on here of late.

I think however that the deal being signed with SKY & ESPN we might see some more activity in the window and whilst i would of loved for every one to be here for day 1 of pre season, as long as we make the right signings and we see some improvement from Hibs then i will be a happy man.

04-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Are we allowed to call Coventry City our feeder club now? :greengrin

04-08-2012, 02:07 PM
Surely we have to adopt 'Come on Eileen' every time he scores, come to think of it, no a bad song when anybody scores to play, certainly an Anthem of sorts

:confused: WTF has Come on Eileen got to do with someone called Gary :confused:

Could we not do something more revevant like say adopting a salad vegetable instead? Celery is very popular down south - oh but we've already got one (cabbage) so lets make up a song about cabbage!

PS - and by the way - welcome Gary:thumbsup:

04-08-2012, 02:29 PM
I was willing to give him a change but after reading NO praise regarding East Mains he can **** off:agree:

Good luck Gary and welcome:thumbsup:

Hibiza
04-08-2012, 02:33 PM
first things first, has he signed or not ?

04-08-2012, 02:35 PM
first things first, has he signed or not ?

Yup, on the official site

Hibiza
04-08-2012, 02:46 PM
Cheers .:flag:

04-08-2012, 02:53 PM
Didn't set the heather on fire at Coventry, but Fenlon seems to bring out the best in him, and we need players of that kind who will get stuck in, particularly in derbies. We've been a soft touch too long, hard men/thugs badly needed to send a message to other teams that such days are coming to an end.

04-08-2012, 03:06 PM
Im really happy with im signing, but why only a 1 year deal?

Me tae, 2 yrs would have been better, for his aparent talent.

04-08-2012, 03:10 PM
Me tae, 2 yrs would have been better, for his aparent talent.

Ok we might regret the one year contract but there again if he doesn't produce the goods then we can always get rid.

Time will tell but I think short term contracts will become the norm for the next few years.

Piqué
04-08-2012, 03:11 PM
Sounds like a box-to-box midfielder judging by some of the comments. Should fit the bill nicely! Welcome aboard Gary! :flag:

04-08-2012, 03:12 PM
Ok we might regret the one year contract but there again if he doesn't produce the goods then we can always get rid.

Time will tell but I think short term contracts will become the norm for the next few years.

Usually have appearances built in. If he play's say 25 games or so,it triggers a new deal

HibbyKeith
04-08-2012, 03:19 PM

It does say "Inital 1 year deal" so I assume there are things in place for him to extend the current contract.

Stevo1875
04-08-2012, 03:23 PM
1 year deal is tough to call. the club do commit to players that will definitely be worth a fee at some stage. at the same time, in getting good players in, beggars cant be choosers. if a decent players only wants a 1 year deal initially, so be it if they have the potential. it's up to us to the fans to and club to make a good player feel wanted and give them a reason to feel a sense of loyalty to the club. For me, this is a positive signing, the kind of player we have been screaming out for. PF & JM both rate him so lets hope he hits the ground running and extends his stay.

04-08-2012, 03:45 PM
The one year deal is obviously for the club to assess his fitness and establish that he's over his injuries. A good move by Hibs, we can't afford to tie up a wage on the treatment table for two or three years.

04-08-2012, 03:46 PM
Sorry, bollah - what's this thread about again?

I was concentrating too hard on looking holy there .... :cb

Snack foods, alternative comedy and sectarianism i thought we were talking about. Some people started taking it in the direction of a player signing but i think we've drowned them out :agree:

04-08-2012, 04:55 PM
I swear Petrie is only doing this player signing thing to annoy people on here!!!!

04-08-2012, 05:00 PM
Where are all the bedwetters? We need someone on here telling us how dreadful a footballer he is.....

Too busy settling into their seats at Tynie...........

04-08-2012, 05:44 PM
Welcome Gary! I'm sure you will get right into the Jambos on what I presume will be your debut. :flag:

04-08-2012, 05:46 PM
Welcome to Gaz! :thumbsup:

04-08-2012, 06:13 PM
we'll just have to wait and see him play, by the sounds of it naeone on here has heard of him or seen him play.

coventry fans are slating him on their forum, as did we when rankin finally left and look at the job he's doing at tannadice now!!

fenlon's saying this morning he desperately needs to add to the squad, another midfielder with a bit of creativity on top of deegan and a striker, surely!!

Just a point, Berty.
It's Bertie.

Yours.
A. Pedant

Mark79
04-08-2012, 06:17 PM
Sounds like a box-to-box midfielder judging by some of the comments. Should fit the bill nicely! Welcome aboard Gary! :flag:

Im not being negative but I recall the last time we had a 'box to box' midfielder. The famous edwin de graaf. He was box to box, however took him a week to complete that journey.

Be glad to see someone make a tackle in our midfield for a change.

Nuitdelune
04-08-2012, 06:50 PM
Anyone know what his twitter account is--couldn't find him and know he got into trouble with Coventry for something he said

04-08-2012, 06:53 PM
Anyone know what his twitter account is--couldn't find him and know he got into trouble with Coventry for something he said

Have a look at McPakes twitter I am sure the follow /tweet each other

Offside Trap
04-08-2012, 06:55 PM

Google search will tell you all you need to know. :aok:

04-08-2012, 06:59 PM
Will he start tomorrow? I hope he does.

04-08-2012, 07:01 PM

04-08-2012, 07:04 PM
Welcome to our Club, Gary.

As for this 'too small' nonsense, the team with the smallest average height in Europe is .......Barcelona. The midfield during our Golden Generation were all about the same height.

04-08-2012, 07:14 PM
Twitter account was deleted after his error of judgement

Welcome aboard Deegsy ... Let's show the jams some snarl next week...... Pity the painter's lack of ambition means he ain't gonna be there to take a dull yin

04-08-2012, 07:14 PM

No signed too late

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk 2

04-08-2012, 07:17 PM
Im not being negative but I recall the last time we had a 'box to box' midfielder. The famous edwin de graaf. He was box to box, however took him a week to complete that journey.

Be glad to see someone make a tackle in our midfield for a change.

Some of the comparisons on Hibs.net are quite stunning.

My wife baked a cake once and it fell flat. I'm baking one tomorrow oh-oh ;)

JHFC
04-08-2012, 07:19 PM
how much do you think we paid to get him?

Mark79
04-08-2012, 07:29 PM

Calm down. Didnt say the boy was tom kite. Just said the last time the term box to box was used was EDG.

dchibs
04-08-2012, 08:23 PM
Are we allowed to call Coventry City our feeder club now? :greengrin

Does our feeder club have any CF or good wingers.:thumbsup:

04-08-2012, 08:30 PM
He sounds like a bit of a hard man which is what Hibs need. Not much use if he keeps getting laid off through suspensions.

But I'm willing to tolerate that if he gives a Jambo a good kicking next week!

04-08-2012, 08:44 PM
Does our feeder club have any CF or good wingers.:thumbsup:

Boy called Roy O'Donovan is supposed to be good. Could maybe take a punt on him.

04-08-2012, 08:57 PM
Calm down. Didnt say the boy was tom kite. Just said the last time the term box to box was used was EDG.

Fairy nuff I take the view the past is gone we will get better keepers, things dont work out for players despite pedigree - JJ anyone but let's give the new boys a clean slate :aok:

04-08-2012, 08:57 PM
Boy called Roy O'Donovan is supposed to be good. Could maybe take a punt on him.

I'll punt you if he comes back! :grr: he's murder!

goosefat
04-08-2012, 09:00 PM
He sounds like a bit of a hard man which is what Hibs need. Not much use if he keeps getting laid off through suspensions.

But I'm willing to tolerate that if he gives a Jambo a good kicking next week!

You say that in jest (I think) but there are those on this forum who would happily take a jambo leg breaker or two next week, see hibs go down to 10 or even 9 men, loose 0-3 and would still go home ecstatic that "someone done that jambo bassa!"

A hard man with a brain cell or two is what we need. I hope GD fits this mould. If he does, then we could be on to a winner. If not, then he'll just be another addition to the Hibernian yellow card factory and the only league table we'll probably end up topping is the disciplinary one - for the 2nd year in a row.

04-08-2012, 09:06 PM
A tough tackling centre mid :agree: welcome aboard gary .

04-08-2012, 09:33 PM
You say that in jest (I think) but there are those on this forum who would happily take a jambo leg breaker or two next week, see hibs go down to 10 or even 9 men, loose 0-3 and would still go home ecstatic that "someone done that jambo bassa!"

A hard man with a brain cell or two is what we need. I hope GD fits this mould. If he does, then we could be on to a winner. If not, then he'll just be another addition to the Hibernian yellow card factory and the only league table we'll probably end up topping is the disciplinary one - for the 2nd year in a row.

You are right. I do mean it in jest. It would be good though to give the other lot some bruises. Let's put it that way!

04-08-2012, 10:53 PM
Yes, welcome to Hibs Gary.

But cut out that Ra pish. Not welcome, nor wanted.

04-08-2012, 11:08 PM
Hopefully he's a leg-snapping nasty piece of work.

Welcome Gary and get right intae that shower next Sunday.

Nando™
04-08-2012, 11:14 PM

I know the exact type. The type that thought the gesture Riordan gave to the Hearts fans as he was being substituted a while back as we were losing 2-0 at home was "brilliant" and "got it right up them".

Idiots.

04-08-2012, 11:56 PM
Never mind. The rumour mill© also says we're signing Martin McGuiness and Gerry Adams as overlapping full backs.their day will come:wink:

05-08-2012, 12:00 AM
their day will come:wink:

Adams & McGuinness won't sign in time for the derby. They only sign Good Friday Agreements:cb

shetlandhibee
05-08-2012, 01:16 AM
Wiki quote . Nicknamed " the Pitbull" ! Eh ?? :cb

so now we have 2 pitbulls:confused::tee hee:

GGTTH:flag::pfgwa:flag:

05-08-2012, 05:34 AM
Adams & McGuinness won't sign in time for the derby. They only sign Good Friday Agreements:cb

Why wont they sign on a bloody sunday for gods sake??

05-08-2012, 07:20 AM

As for this 'too small' nonsense, the team with the smallest average height in Europe is .......Barcelona. The midfield during our Golden Generation were all about the same height.

Barcelona are not small ........... Just very far away :greengrin

05-08-2012, 07:39 AM

I like cake. Theres cocaine in it. No, what d'you call them? raisins :agree:

05-08-2012, 08:58 AM
Barcelona are not small ........... Just very far away :greengrin

: :D

DAVE1875
05-08-2012, 09:17 AM

Aye, but unlike us they never play the long ball over the top. It's always on the ground unless they switch to the other side. Since we only have Griffiths and Doyle, I'd say are best chances of scoring are by play through balls past the defence and hope Griffiths can run onto them

12-08-2012, 08:49 AM
Gary Deegan interview posted on youtube today, let's hope he can make a difference to our midfield against "them" today and we compete for a change. :agree:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwlujolj8uQ

HibernianBohs
12-08-2012, 01:49 PM
Was great when he played for us, and was good today, hopefully he can it for hibs
And btw we are Bohemian FC, not Bohemians FC :wink:

12-08-2012, 02:24 PM
Thought he played really well today, quite a skilled player too, just what we need :)

Steven_Hibs
12-08-2012, 02:27 PM
A year deal, with an option of a second? Give him a 5 year deal Petrie, he's that good :greengrin Got stuck in, ranted at the ref, ball work was very good. Will get fitter and be a big player for us! :agree:

12-08-2012, 02:59 PM
I wish Black was still playing for Hearts; Deegan would have ate him alive today.

12-08-2012, 03:02 PM
Deegan won't take any crap that's for sure. He will get booked more than he doesn't but if he keeps his composure like he did today will be a big asset.

Also like how he was at the ref every time he was fouled, like that in a player which also infuriates the opposition.

Cairney was good today, as was Claros.

12-08-2012, 03:05 PM
Very impressed by Deegan. Won a lot of tackles without conceding a foul and passed the ball well. If he keeps that standard up, we should clone him.

Thought he was unlucky to get booked for what was no worse than the foul on him a few minutes earlier, but that would be offset by him escaping a yellow for bringing down Sutton late on.

12-08-2012, 03:09 PM
Once he gets up to full fitness he will be quality.

Exactly the type of player we have been missing.

12-08-2012, 03:10 PM
Very impressed by Deegan. Won a lot of tackles without conceding a foul and passed the ball well. If he keeps that standard up, we should clone him.

Thought he was unlucky to get booked for what was no worse than the foul on him a few minutes earlier, but that would be offset by him escaping a yellow for bringing down Sutton late on.

Really? :greengrin

12-08-2012, 03:13 PM
Deegan is quailty http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae247/Mainboy/Pleasing/th_av-34052.png

12-08-2012, 03:13 PM
Really? :greengrin

Look at what happened a couple of minutes beforehand when Deegan won the ball and headed into the Hearts half only to be chopped down. If that wasn't a yellow neither was Deegan doing the same.

For what it's worth, both should have been bookings.

HibeeN
12-08-2012, 03:17 PM
Was a bit concerned when he picked up the booking - thought he might end up off before the end of the much but he did well and definitely put himself about. Had a bit of bite in him and chased down and fought for the ball, which was a welcome sight! Looking forward to seeing him settle in and hopefully giving the team a bit of a harder edge.

12-08-2012, 04:25 PM
Good debut. Looks good.

And a instant hero for the tackle on Templeton.

12-08-2012, 04:27 PM
A hooligan :aok:

12-08-2012, 04:28 PM
Really like the look of the guy, I think he'll be a massive fans favourite very soon, seems a bit of a buzz bomb, all action kind of guy, even after this one game I'm hoping we'll get his contract extended quickly :greengrin

12-08-2012, 04:30 PM
A hooligan :aok:

A tad unfair :rolleyes: Looks a real good addition to our midfield - tough, can hold the ball up, can find a pass and had a good understanding with a number of other Hibbies today. Great debut in a derby and can only hope he doesn't turn out to be another Victor Palsson.

12-08-2012, 04:31 PM
Good debut. Looks good.

Put himself under pressure for the rest of the game with that booking, however Templeton only really had one run at us and was pretty quite for most of the game, so it was probably a booking worth taking. How Templeton stayed on the Park is beyond me, his kick out that hit McPake was a straight red......wonder if he will suffer trial by TV this week?

Re Deegan, though he gave us the bite and snarl in midfield that we have been missing!

12-08-2012, 04:33 PM
A tad unfair :rolleyes: Looks a real good addition to our midfield - tough, can hold the ball up, can find a pass and had a good understanding with a number of other Hibbies today. Great debut in a derby and can only hope he doesn't turn out to be another Victor Palsson.

'Hooligan' is a compliment for a midfielder. so roll yer eyes.somewhere else :rolleyes: :greengrin

12-08-2012, 04:34 PM
Delighted.

In defence, Clancy, McPake and Maybury make Hanlon much stronger. In mid, Cairney make Claros and Spoony stronger. Upfront, Kuqi will make Griffiths, Doyle and Caldwell all the more dangerous. Williams doesn't shut up.

We're getting a team together, no doubt about it. Fenlon knows a winner when he sees one.

Very optimistic about him. Has to be said i've been very impressed with every signing PF has made this summer so far :pfgwa

Good solid performance. Just the type of player we have been crying out for. Welcome Gary, more of the same please. :hibees

S.sct
12-08-2012, 04:35 PM
Get a more cultured player beside him and i'll be happy.

12-08-2012, 05:18 PM
Get a more cultured player beside him and i'll be happy.
Absolutely. Like Claros for example......

12-08-2012, 05:19 PM
Loved him. Tough tackling. Didn't panic and actually passed the ball about.

Was worried when he got booked, thought he was heading for a red eventually but screwed the nut well. Great debut :agree:

McIntosh
12-08-2012, 05:51 PM
very impessive

Capt Mainwaring
12-08-2012, 05:52 PM
Deegan will do for me. Bit more fitness needed perhaps but that wil come. We've found the real "Pitbull".

12-08-2012, 05:54 PM
Good debut. Looks good.

Don't want to start a debate about the ref but I thought that he has to take some responsibility for that. The Hearts players were consistently fouling early doors with no punishment and that must have been frustrating in that atmosphere.

12-08-2012, 05:58 PM
I thought Deegan was good. Looks like he can pick a pass quite quickly too

12-08-2012, 05:59 PM
Deserves one IMHO

to the tune of manFred Mann's Mighty Quinn

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DP-PMRrBYYh8&v=P-PMRrBYYh8&gl=GB

'Come on without, come on within, you won't see nothing like GARY DEEGAN!'

I'm sure Pat Quinn won't mind

12-08-2012, 06:00 PM
Loved him. Tough tackling. Didn't panic and actually passed the ball about.

Was worried when he got booked, thought he was heading for a red eventually but screwed the nut well. Great debut :agree:

Agree with all of the above

12-08-2012, 06:01 PM
Don't want to start a debate about the ref but I thought that he has to take some responsibility for that. The Hearts players were consistently fouling early doors with no punishment and that must have been frustrating in that atmosphere.

The amount of fouls Barr, Sutton, Templeton got away with was staggering....Is Collum really that inept?

Crazyhorse
12-08-2012, 06:03 PM

That is probably right. However for the past couple of years Hibs players have tended to fill their man size nappies when opposing players have got stuck into them. Glad to see someone playing for my team doesn't do this and goes hunting for ****bos in the derby. Its about ******' time...

justlikebrazil
12-08-2012, 06:05 PM
Deegan is what we have been missing for years! No danger did the ****bos bully us this time :thumbsup:

Titch
12-08-2012, 06:06 PM
Anyone know if he's on twitter????

12-08-2012, 06:06 PM
The amount of fouls Barr, Sutton, Templeton got away with was staggering....Is Collum really that inept?

Sutton was a disgrace. When Collum spoke to him saying 'no more' he indicated he'd fouled 3 times!!!!

12-08-2012, 06:09 PM
Deegan is what we have been missing for years! No danger did the ****bos bully us this time :thumbsup:

:agree: Exactly what I said to my laddie at the match, a joy to see us not being bullied or out fought in midfield or anywhere else for that matter. He was talking and encouraging all the time and it looked like the whole team rose to the example of him and Captain fantastic.

Postman
12-08-2012, 06:20 PM
[QUOTE=justlikebrazil;3324783]Deegan is what we have been missing for years! No danger did the ****bos bully us this time :thumbsup:[/Q, UOTE]
Agreed, same performance again next week against the leaders will do nicely!

S.sct
12-08-2012, 06:44 PM
[QUOTE=HoboHarry;3324627]Absolutely. Like Claros for example......

We seem to have different ideas on the definition of cultured.....:greengrin

Heedersnvolleys
12-08-2012, 06:50 PM
I just hope he is on the pitch more than off it!

iain nolan
12-08-2012, 07:09 PM
Was glad to see hibs get someone with a wee bit fight in midfield . we been looking for someone like DEEGAN for a few season . looks like a good signing but it's only one game time will tell . Having already played for the managment team am thinking he could be the signing that could turn our club around . Just a forward to get and we should be looking at top 6 :flag:

12-08-2012, 07:12 PM
Put his foot in and could pick up a pass. Definitely a promising debut, although he was pretty lucky to stay on the park - could easily have been booked twice in the second half.
His timing will get better with match sharpness, was carrying a bit of beef and blowing hard in last 15 mins.
Now we just need a Latapy figure in there beside him! Failing that, find the new Arthur Duncan and shift Cairney in one.

12-08-2012, 07:14 PM
Could do with losing a few pounds in my view, looks like Stephen Dobbie on the peach diet.

13-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Can't wait to see these 2 in combat should be pretty tasty.

13-08-2012, 05:16 PM
Deegs will have him all day long.

13-08-2012, 05:18 PM
Yeah, should be good, only one winner though - and it aint Goodwin.

13-08-2012, 05:38 PM
Goodwin didn't play for St Mirren on Saturday, was he injured/suspended?

13-08-2012, 05:39 PM
Goodwin didn't play for St Mirren on Saturday, was he injured/suspended?

Suspended I think.

13-08-2012, 05:45 PM
Suspended I think.

There's a surprise

13-08-2012, 05:48 PM
There's a surprise

Dirty barsteward. Ian Murray got him sorted though :greengrin

Bookkeeper
13-08-2012, 05:51 PM
Seem to remember they had a decent midfield last season. Could be a good test for us. Deegan and Cairney looked like they weren't scared of a challenge yesterday and we looked all the stronger for it. Goodwin got too much time on the ball last season, he'll no get it on Saturday.

14-08-2012, 06:50 PM
Last time we played St Mirren Goodwin was playing CB, so it may be that he's up against Sparky, not Deegan.