PDA

View Full Version : NHC Italy

IanM
02-08-2012, 03:31 PM
Office chat, we're trying to list all Scottish players that have played in Italy - Was Graeme Souness the last scottish born player to play in Italy?

we think it is but we're trying not to google!

HibsMax
02-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Office chat, we're trying to list all Scottish players that have played in Italy - Was Graeme Souness the last scottish born player to play in Italy?

If you're going to ask people on Hibs.net, people who will probably Google, why not just Google yourself? ;) Sssh, nobody will snitch on you.

Hermit Crab
02-08-2012, 03:37 PM

Yes he was, before him there was Jordan and Law.

scoopyboy
02-08-2012, 03:45 PM

Jamie McCluskey played as a trialist for a Seria A team, does that count?

mikewynne
02-08-2012, 03:56 PM
Souness was the last but I think I have the first! My great uncle (John O'Donnell) played for Trieste some time around 1920. He claimed to be the first British player to play professionally in Italy though I think he only managed a couple of games for their first team.

Baldy Foghorn
02-08-2012, 03:59 PM
Jamie McCluskey played as a trialist for a Seria A team, does that count?

Did he Jock, I never knew that, what team was it?

Part/Time Supporter
02-08-2012, 04:01 PM
Souness was the last but I think I have the first! My great uncle (John O'Donnell) played for Trieste some time around 1920. He claimed to be the first British player to play professionally in Italy though I think he only managed a couple of games for their first team.

That may be true professionally, but English amateurs were involved with forming Italian clubs, eg1 Genoa (note use of English spelling rather than Italian Genova), eg2 AC Milan (likewise, not Milano).

.Sean.
02-08-2012, 04:05 PM
Did he Jock, I never knew that, what team was it?

Catania.

He also had a trial for a fairly big team in Russia or the like IIRC.

Baldy Foghorn
02-08-2012, 04:08 PM
Catania.

Cheers for that

Skanko79
02-08-2012, 04:40 PM
Catania.

pretty sure it was partizan belgrade.

Hibs Class
02-08-2012, 04:58 PM
Rose Reilly :wink:

(Interesting career which included a sine die ban for criticising the Scottish Women's FA. It would be nice if the male SFA took that as a precedent when deciding on a punishment for Fat Ally's recent criticism!)

andy1875
02-08-2012, 05:01 PM
Was there not a young Scottish lad with an Italian sounding name played in the early 90's? Went on to play for Milan, Juventus and Inter....

Joe...

Was his surname Tortolano? :greengrin

Sorry couldn't help myself!

DH1875
02-08-2012, 07:51 PM
Does Richard Hughes count? Don't know if he played first team football but he grew up in Italy and was at Atalanta as a boy/youth.

Mary Hinge
02-08-2012, 08:09 PM
Yes he was, before him there was Jordan and Law.

And, of course, Joe Baker.

Hibs Class
02-08-2012, 08:13 PM

I thought about Joe earlier then remembered he was English.

Springbank
03-08-2012, 02:07 AM
Jamie Mcluskey did go on trial to Catania but didn't turn out for them.

MontrealHibs
03-08-2012, 06:00 AM

Joe Baker who played for ENGLAND ... The question was Scotsman....

DH1875
03-08-2012, 01:45 PM
Does Richard Hughes count? Don't know if he played first team football but he grew up in Italy and was at Atalanta as a boy/youth.

Anyone :dunno:. He was def there as remember him being interviewed on the Italian football programme on channel 4 and I wished I was him :doh:.

Hibbie_Cameron
03-08-2012, 03:28 PM
Anyone :dunno:. He was def there as remember him being interviewed on the Italian football programme on channel 4 and I wished I was him :doh:.

He was on there books as a youth until the family moved back over here. He is sometimes a pundit on ESPNs Seria A coverage

Springbank
03-08-2012, 10:15 PM
There's only one player from Atalanta that I remember, a certain F. Sauzee :flag:

I was over in Catania last week and the bizarre headlines suggested Pinilla to Inter (ex Jambo reject, Vlad Flu etc)