PDA

View Full Version : SPL and hibs wages

Fergus52
02-08-2012, 11:47 AM
For all the posters i've argued with about hibs having the 4th highest wage in the SPL, here is the proof:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/datablog/2012/may/03/football-barcelona-madrid-wages

Scroll down a bit or select the SPL and you'll see we're only behind the old firm and hearts.

So can this put to bed the "fact" that st mirren, st johnstone etc can out bid us if both clubs really want a player.

Makes quite grim reading though that we've finished bottom 6 the past 2 seasons with that high a player budget.

patch1875
02-08-2012, 11:56 AM
Think that's more the problem it's the people we have signed not what we have paid.

Fergus52
02-08-2012, 11:57 AM
Think that's more the problem it's the people we have signed not what we have paid.

I agree with that, but some posters seem to think otherwise

patch1875
02-08-2012, 12:07 PM
What I would do is scrap the wage cap(if there is one) sign and pay well 4-5 players of quality goalie,centre back,midfield and striker create an excellent spine and a mix of young players and others around them and use their experience to bring the others on seemed to work with Mcleish with sauzee latapy mixu oneill etc im not saying spend massively just a few top players.

lyonhibs
02-08-2012, 12:17 PM
What I would do is scrap the wage cap(if there is one) sign and pay well 4-5 players of quality goalie,centre back,midfield and striker create an excellent spine and a mix of young players and others around them and use their experience to bring the others on seemed to work with Mcleish with sauzee latapy mixu oneill etc im not saying spend massively just a few top players.

I'll await for you to realise the inherent irony in the highlighted part. We did overspend massively on the players you mention, necessitating the "SUBC" campaign to ward off the threat of a move to Straiton.

It's not a feasible business model these days.

hibs0666
02-08-2012, 12:21 PM

Sauzee alone was on 6 grand a week.

patch1875
02-08-2012, 12:25 PM
It was an example not a blueprint of what to do getting some shrewed quality signings in canmassively change a team .ok another example st Johnstone jody morris and duberry 2 ageing decent payers that have played at a way higher level I'm sure their budget is tiny compared to ours we seem to take chances on players hoping their going to be a bit special but it's not really working.

Leishy1995
02-08-2012, 12:40 PM
We could pay one player 20k a week, doesn't make him 20 times better than someone on 1k a week.

jacomo
02-08-2012, 12:42 PM
Beggars belief that we cannot find moderately competent players for £170k a year.

The vast majority of the skillful, dedicated athletes at the Olympic Games won't be on anything like that... can we not approach a gymnast or swimmer and see how they do with a ball?

:greengrin

patch1875
02-08-2012, 12:50 PM
We could pay one player 20k a week, doesn't make him 20 times better than someone on 1k a week.

Nope but 3-4 proven players on 4k a week or 7-8 journeymen on 1.5-2k a week?

iwasthere1972
02-08-2012, 12:51 PM
Beggars belief that we cannot find moderately competent players for £170k a year.

The vast majority of the skillful, dedicated athletes at the Olympic Games won't be on anything like that... can we not approach a gymnast or swimmer and see how they do with a ball?

We've had a guy on a bike and the invisible man who couldn't control their bladders let alone a fitba but olympians might be the way forward. Mayble someone capable of doing the high jump and long jump would come in handy.

Speedy
02-08-2012, 12:52 PM
For all the posters i've argued with about hibs having the 4th highest wage in the SPL, here is the proof:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/datablog/2012/may/03/football-barcelona-madrid-wages

Scroll down a bit or select the SPL and you'll see we're only behind the old firm and hearts.

So can this put to bed the "fact" that st mirren, st johnstone etc can out bid us if both clubs really want a player.

Makes quite grim reading though that we've finished bottom 6 the past 2 seasons with that high a player budget.

I'm sorry but it doesn't put anything to bed.

The fact that the SPL teams are massively out of date completely discredits the article.

I don't necessarily disagree with the stats but I'm just saying.

ScottB
02-08-2012, 12:55 PM
Nope but 3-4 proven players on 4k a week or 7-8 journeymen on 1.5-2k a week?

According to that our average wage was just over £3k a week...

Fergus52
02-08-2012, 01:02 PM
I'm sorry but it doesn't put anything to bed.

The fact that the SPL teams are massively out of date completely discredits the article.

I don't necessarily disagree with the stats but I'm just saying.

I get your point, but i still find the guardian more reliable than the slavers on here who claim that clubs with less than half our fanbase and annual turnover pay players more than us.

WindyMiller
02-08-2012, 02:22 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiWOxcpxVvs

hibees 7062
02-08-2012, 02:26 PM
I get your point, but i still find the guardian more reliable than the slavers on here who claim that clubs with less than half our fanbase and annual turnover pay players more than us.

Should be easy to hand pick the best players from these clubs then eh

PatHead
02-08-2012, 02:27 PM
We've had a guy on a bike and the invisible man who couldn't control their bladders let alone a fitba but olympians might be the way forward. Mayble someone capable of doing the high jump and long jump would come in handy.

Could throw in a diver or two..........................might get some penalties for rather than against us then

Fergus52
02-08-2012, 02:51 PM
Should be easy to hand pick the best players from these clubs then eh

Well no, cause that would command high transfer fees.

Keith_M
02-08-2012, 03:19 PM

I'd pay good money to watch her playing with my...., oops, I mean, her balls.

Baldy Foghorn
02-08-2012, 03:31 PM
Not sure where Guardian get their figures from?

In every set of annual account's we publish 1 figure as wages, which incorporates not only players, but office staff, background staff etc....Hibs wont give out any other more information than that, so not sure regarding the figures in the Guardian

HibsMax
02-08-2012, 03:35 PM

I counted MANY hand balls.....who was the ref that day? Thomson?

hibees 7062
02-08-2012, 04:06 PM
Well no, cause that would command high transfer fees.
When their contracts out ?

Fergus52
02-08-2012, 04:23 PM
When their contracts out ?

Again not really, because the ones that have performed best will be looking for a move down south or to the old firm (even with one in div3) and many more probably wont fancy hibs as we've been pretty poor for a couple of years now

Kaiser1962
02-08-2012, 06:48 PM

http://www. (http://www/)guardian.co.uk/sport/datablog/2012/may/03/football-barcelona-madrid-wages (http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/datablog/2012/may/03/football-barcelona-madrid-wages [/QUOTE)
Dont know where the figures are from but 2011-2012's accounts are not out yet. In 2010-2011 Hibs wages were £4.8m compared to Aberdeen's £5.1m. Hibs outspent Aberdeen the previous season £4.8m to £4.6m but, prior to that you have to go back to 2001-2002 for the last time Hibs spent more (£5.7m) on wages than Aberdeen (£5.3m).

In the intervening seven seasons Aberdeen spent £35.6m on wages while Hibs spent £27.7m.

VickMackie
02-08-2012, 06:51 PM
[QUOTE=fergy;3310995]For all the posters i've argued with about hibs having the 4th highest wage in the SPL, here is the proof:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/datablog/2012/may/03/football-barcelona-madrid-wages [/QUOTE (http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/datablog/2012/may/03/football-barcelona-madrid-wages [/QUOTE)]

Dont know where the figures are fr0m but 2011-2012's accounts are not out yet. In 2010-2011 Hibs wages were £4.8m compared to Aberdeen's £5.1m. Hibs outspent Aberdeen the previous season £4.8m to £4.6m but, prior to that you have to go back to 2001-2002 for the last time Hibs spent more (£5.7m) on wages than Aberdeen (£5.3m).

In the intervening seven seasons Aberdeen spent £35.6m on wages while Hibs spent £27.7m.

How have their average finishes compared with ours for the extra 7 million?

Kaiser1962
02-08-2012, 06:57 PM
How have their average finishes compared with ours for the extra 7 million?

We finished above them 4 times out the seven seasons covered.

erin go bragh
02-08-2012, 07:48 PM
And worth every last penny .:thumbsup:

ggtth

BEEJ
02-08-2012, 07:54 PM

Alongside the question marks placed earlier on this thread about the validity of the data used in that table, the figures don't actually deal with the main issue. Using an average wage is just a proxy for the overall salary budget of each club.

The concern that has been expressed on here in the past is whether the Hibs manager has the same flexibility in using his budget than his SPL counterparts. You can have the fourth highest budget in the league but if you are trying to deal with a self-imposed wage structure which cannot be broken then you can still miss out to any of your competitors on players looking for terms above your wage ceiling.

This table is unable to answer that question.

DH1875
02-08-2012, 08:00 PM
Said this all along. You only need to look at the likes of Motherwell and St Johnstone over the last couple of years to know that there's players out there :agree:.

horseflesh
02-08-2012, 09:29 PM

So we could have 2 Francks instead of Kerr. Maybury, Galbraith and a couple of Sproules?

Emerald
02-08-2012, 09:32 PM
So we could have 2 Francks instead of Kerr. Maybury, Galbraith and a couple of Sproules?

:thumbsup:

LeighLoyal
02-08-2012, 09:36 PM
Franck was worth every penny, unlike guys like De Graaf and O'Brien that were on big money. Hibs have wasted too much on rotten Bosman's in truth.

Hibercelona
03-08-2012, 01:21 PM
It's obvious that wages aren't the issue.

It's also obvious that other clubs are ran better than ours, whether we like to admit it or not.

Other clubs in the league bring players in for cheaper than we do, and their players are almost always better.

There is a combination of issues at this club that prevents us from progressing on the field. Complete footballing incompetence at the very top and a serious culture issue thats been developing at the club over the last several years.

The problems are blatantly obvious, yet we fail to really change anything. We change players and we change managers, but we don't change the culture.

Cocaine&Caviar
03-08-2012, 01:45 PM

Williams
McPake
Griffiths

?

JohnStephens91
03-08-2012, 01:54 PM
Williams
McPake
Griffiths

?

Cairney, looks to be a good attacking solution and seems to win his 50/50 challenges

Cocaine&Caviar
03-08-2012, 02:14 PM
Cairney, looks to be a good attacking solution and seems to win his 50/50 challenges

Not exactly proven though.

For me both a Defensive Dominant Midfielders and an Attacking threat were needed in midfield after last season, hopefully Cairney can be the latter. But as far as the former, our only option as it stands is David Stephens which is depressing.