PDA

View Full Version : Sign of the times

Jim44
02-08-2012, 09:11 AM
Judging by recent threads, we are in a bit of a sorry state as far as anticipation of the new season is concerned. Apart from the Newco thread, it seems our major topic of conversation was a 20 page thread on a player who the vast majority of fans appear to be glad to see the back of (come Sunday, some may change their minds) and the more recent thread about the pros and cons of a former player unlikely to ever again see the inside of ER. When Fenlon arrived, our take was, stave off relegation then rebuild massively for the new season. It's been a bit of a damp squib so far with little prospect of significant reinforcements in the foreseeable future.

DaveF
02-08-2012, 09:22 AM
Yep, I'm struggling for enthusiasm at the moment. Hopefully Sunday will see a return of the missing spark.

Another season like the one just past would be difficult to take.

J-C
02-08-2012, 09:38 AM
I think we all knew after the final that there would have to be a massive rebuilding, I don't think we expected to sign up the 8-10 players needed but with just the 5 so far, enthusiasm is drastically waning.

Emerald
02-08-2012, 09:45 AM
I think we all knew after the final that there would have to be a massive rebuilding, I don't think we expected to sign up the 8-10 players needed but with just the 5 so far, enthusiasm is drastically waning.

And two of these were already part of a team that needed rebuilt!

jacomo
02-08-2012, 11:28 AM

This on top of the ground hog day scenario of the past few years, where Hibs start poorly and then the manager either leaves or is sacked before Christmas.

The only thing that will help to turn things around is positive performances and results, and given the modest rebuilding so far, I can understand people being pessimistic about the forthcoming season.

The most encouraging thing for me is that PF has clearly been trying to impose different a different formation in pre-season - this at least shows a recognition that something has to change, and he is doing what he can. But as for coaching, fitness, scouting - all crucial elements of the "football department" that should support the 1st team squad... I'm yet to see any progress.

allezsauzee
02-08-2012, 11:45 AM
I think it's imperative that Hibs have a good season. Given the opportunity that is there with Rangers not in the SPL and other rivals losing players. I want to see an indication that the shambles at Hampden is a turning point where the people that run the club realise that we are sick and tired of the lack of ambition and investment in the playing staff.

Hainan Hibs
02-08-2012, 11:46 AM
The final was a hard one to take however I saw it as the final boot up the arse that was needed at the club in regards to a culture change and getting in a squad that gave a monkeys.

I didn't expect a brand new team for the season starting, however I did expect more than what we have got going into the first game, and that is the reason why I am not as excited as I would normally be, especially with the midfield we could potentially line up with.

The first couple of matches does not help the situation either. Away to a decent UTD team and then up against the Gorgie gonads at ER. Lose both of them and we are in for a very long season and a .net meltdown:greengrin. However if we manage to pull off a victory in one of those games it can put us in good sted for the rest of the season.

Hibs7
02-08-2012, 11:59 AM
Nothing has happened to change my mind about a season ticket, the team does not look capable of challenging for a top 6 spot, I hope I am wrong and will go to games but as a PATG.

Matty_Jack04
02-08-2012, 12:00 PM
I don't think that any Scottish football fan will have much to get excited about to be honest, the whole sevco saga and how it was handled has kicked the life out of the Scottish football fans IMO

On a more personal note I don't think we've strengthened anywhere near enough in this window, we're short up front, our midfield still has the same problems no wingers or link to the front players (unless carnie provides that) I'm happy with the players that have left the 3 new players added look to be good players (not counting McPake/griffiths) I just don't think we've done enough, I was hoping that we'd use some of the younger players like Harding Stanton etc this season as I felt they where unlucky not to have got a chance last year due to how poor the other players but to count on them coming good this term to shore up a light squad is a big gamble

marinello59
02-08-2012, 01:11 PM
I will buck the trend here and suggest that we may have more to look forward to than we think.
There are several factors at play here. Firstly the Cup final disaster. That hurt but a victory over them in our first home match could do a power of healing. Whether we do that or not is anybodys guess, with the changes in personnel in both teams predicting a result would be impossible right now.
The whole Sevco saga I feel has left a large number of Scottish fitba fans with a sort of emotional hangover. After week after week of demanding that Sevco start in SFL3 it is as if everybody woke up after the seeing that actually happen thinking, ''is that it?'' The sooner we start ignoring what they do down in the lower leagues and concentrate on the SPL the better.
We are once more starting the season with signings still to be made. That is deeply disappointing. Several areas still need strengthening to no wonder so many people are worried. But............and here comes the optimistic bit........look at the other teams in the SPL. I see very few signs that anybody has done any significant rebuilding and several teams look much weaker than last term. Pat Fenlon may not have signed the best players in every position but he has said that he has signed a certain type of player that he wants to see at the club. What we have seen over the past couple of seasons has been a group of players who just did not seem to knit together. We can argue about the individual merits of each player in the squad compared to previous years. However I have an inkling that the team Pat Fenlon is trying to put together is going to be much stronger than the sum of its parts. Naive optimism on my part? Possibly, I don't care.:greengrin
We slagged of Doncaster and Regan for talking Scottish football down. Nobody can deny that its at a pretty low ebb. But it ain't dead and never will be. Many of us may not feel too enamoured with the game right now but we love it and Hibs too much for it ever to die. All the discussions and disagreement we have between ourselves on here makes us look like the most dysfunctional family ever. But it does prove that despite everything we really do still care. The suits may have talked our game down but they don't own it, we do. Fan power made a difference in the way Sevco was dealt with. Our own club has fans working actively to try and improve things. We are finally being listened to, next stop league reconstruction. This time around they ignore the fans wants at their peril. At least no one can disagree with me when I suggest that the only way is up.
Roll on Sunday. :pfgwa:hibees:pfgwa
GGTTH

monktonharp
02-08-2012, 02:47 PM
The final was a hard one to take however I saw it as the final boot up the arse that was needed at the club in regards to a culture change and getting in a squad that gave a monkeys.

I didn't expect a brand new team for the season starting, however I did expect more than what we have got going into the first game, and that is the reason why I am not as excited as I would normally be, especially with the midfield we could potentially line up with.

The first couple of matches does not help the situation either. Away to a decent UTD team and then up against the Gorgie gonads at ER. Lose both of them and we are in for a very long season and a .net meltdown:greengrin. However if we manage to pull off a victory in one of those games it can put us in good sted for the rest of the season.I saw the final as more of a kick in the baws ,than a light boot up the backside.ref did not help, but how could anyone perform,the way we did that day? never seen anything like that before. the main crutch of the problem that day though, is still there. an inert midfield. they dae nothin', and dont look like they could do anything.

Hainan Hibs
02-08-2012, 03:17 PM
I saw the final as more of a kick in the baws ,than a light boot up the backside.ref did not help, but how could anyone perform,the way we did that day? never seen anything like that before. the main crutch of the problem that day though, is still there. an inert midfield. they dae nothin', and dont look like they could do anything.

Of course, I felt sick walking out of Hampden through the disgust from that performance and would gladly have seen almost every player head straight for the exit door. I didn't mean light kick, I meant a full force UFC kick:greengrin, as in the final straw for those at the club, management and board that the culture and defeatist attitude the team had to go.

Agree fully about the midfield, and I worry more if we get 1 or 2 injuries along the way.

hibeefan95
02-08-2012, 05:50 PM
I will buck the trend here and suggest that we may have more to look forward to than we think.
There are several factors at play here. Firstly the Cup final disaster. That hurt but a victory over them in our first home match could do a power of healing. Whether we do that or not is anybodys guess, with the changes in personnel in both teams predicting a result would be impossible right now.
The whole Sevco saga I feel has left a large number of Scottish fitba fans with a sort of emotional hangover. After week after week of demanding that Sevco start in SFL3 it is as if everybody woke up after the seeing that actually happen thinking, ''is that it?'' The sooner we start ignoring what they do down in the lower leagues and concentrate on the SPL the better.
We are once more starting the season with signings still to be made. That is deeply disappointing. Several areas still need strengthening to no wonder so many people are worried. But............and here comes the optimistic bit........look at the other teams in the SPL. I see very few signs that anybody has done any significant rebuilding and several teams look much weaker than last term. Pat Fenlon may not have signed the best players in every position but he has said that he has signed a certain type of player that he wants to see at the club. What we have seen over the past couple of seasons has been a group of players who just did not seem to knit together. We can argue about the individual merits of each player in the squad compared to previous years. However I have an inkling that the team Pat Fenlon is trying to put together is going to be much stronger than the sum of its parts. Naive optimism on my part? Possibly, I don't care.:greengrin
We slagged of Doncaster and Regan for talking Scottish football down. Nobody can deny that its at a pretty low ebb. But it ain't dead and never will be. Many of us may not feel too enamoured with the game right now but we love it and Hibs too much for it ever to die. All the discussions and disagreement we have between ourselves on here makes us look like the most dysfunctional family ever. But it does prove that despite everything we really do still care. The suits may have talked our game down but they don't own it, we do. Fan power made a difference in the way Sevco was dealt with. Our own club has fans working actively to try and improve things. We are finally being listened to, next stop league reconstruction. This time around they ignore the fans wants at their peril. At least no one can disagree with me when I suggest that the only way is up.
Roll on Sunday. :pfgwa:hibees:pfgwa
GGTTH

:top marks :agree: :flag::pfgwa

Captain Trips
02-08-2012, 05:56 PM
Judging by recent threads, we are in a bit of a sorry state as far as anticipation of the new season is concerned. Apart from the Newco thread, it seems our major topic of conversation was a 20 page thread on a player who the vast majority of fans appear to be glad to see the back of (come Sunday, some may change their minds) and the more recent thread about the pros and cons of a former player unlikely to ever again see the inside of ER. When Fenlon arrived, our take was, stave off relegation then rebuild massively for the new season. It's been a bit of a damp squib so far with little prospect of significant reinforcements in the foreseeable future.

I was not mine, it was improve our SPL position which he failed to do and I do not believe for 1 minute that RP and co said avoid relegation is your target.

Most of what you say I agree with the massive rebuilding imo hasnt happened Hibs are in severe trouble this term as I do not believe in PF or this squad we have at this juncture.

Hibiza
02-08-2012, 05:59 PM
come on, things not great but no point being morbid.

Macaroon
02-08-2012, 06:55 PM
And two of these were already part of a team that needed rebuilt!

2 Players can't carry the other 9 through a game. Just because they were part of the side that did so poorly doesn't mean that they aren't good enough for us. I'm very pleased we've managed to hold onto them.