PDA

View Full Version : Shiels signs for Sevco (4 year deal)

jon paul jones
16-07-2012, 09:36 AM
So some of the weekend papers were quoting Kilmarnocks Manager Sheils that he can't afford to take Deano.

Mmmm skilful midfielder who can take on his opponent and score goals

Surely hibs class :cb

Stevie Reid
16-07-2012, 09:37 AM
We would not get a better player of his ilk for the wages he would command and no transfer fee.

Would be absolutely over the moon if he were to sign.

Speedway
16-07-2012, 09:41 AM
If the various sources are to be believed, Hibs have now had two go's, this summer alone, at getting Shiels in for talks.

Shiels doesn't want to talk, it's not known why but loyalty to not play against Daddy might be part of it.

RickyS
16-07-2012, 09:42 AM
If the various sources are to be believed, Hibs have now had two go's, this summer alone, at getting Shiels in for talks.

Shiels doesn't want to talk, it's not known why but loyalty to not play against Daddy might be part of it.

hanging out for the Huns maybe?

Keith_M
16-07-2012, 09:45 AM
Who's 'Deno' anyway?

I thought it was 'Deano' :dunno:

Last Minute
16-07-2012, 09:45 AM

That was the case if they got into div 1, but he's going abroad for 2 years :agree:

Stevie Reid
16-07-2012, 09:47 AM
If the story about him wanting to come back here on loan last year and Calderwood not wanting him is true, I truly despair.

hibsbollah
16-07-2012, 09:49 AM
I doubt he would consider Hibs to be 'home'. Especially when our fans can't spell his name :greengrin

jon paul jones
16-07-2012, 09:53 AM
:cb mmm. i didnt know about the attempts so well done hibs for trying.

I'd be interested to see how the old irish charm helps with some negotiating over the next fortnight

YehButNoBut
16-07-2012, 09:58 AM
If Killie can't afford to keep him and there is no chance he will want to play in div 3 :greengrin, we must have a decent chance in getting him back to ER.

jon paul jones
16-07-2012, 09:58 AM
Who's 'Deno' anyway?

Very true...i dropped the a by mistake. In the countries i've experienced travelling through, ive been to fitba' games and seen players with similar names with one less vowel....damn you no spell check button!

Speedway
16-07-2012, 10:11 AM
Would Deno come back?

Uhhhh, Deno.

silverhibee
16-07-2012, 10:22 AM

Probably the same reason the lad Jennings won't come to Hibs, Hibs have tried a few times to get him but he keeps turning us down.

It's got nothing to do with playing against Daddy and more to do with money,imo.

Stevie Reid
16-07-2012, 10:24 AM
Probably the same reason the lad Jennings won't come to Hibs, Hibs have tried a few times to get him but he keeps turning us down.

It's got nothing to do with playing against Daddy and more to do with money,imo.

I would certainly be surprised if there weren't clubs offering more wages than Hibs for a player of his quality.

Andy74
16-07-2012, 10:24 AM

Has Jennings not made claer that he wants to return down South?

Some suggestions Deano wanted to try and play abroad as well.

Not everything is about money - players do have other reasons to turn us down!

silverhibee
16-07-2012, 10:39 AM
Has Jennings not made claer that he wants to return down South?

Some suggestions Deano wanted to try and play abroad as well.

Not everything is about money - players do have other reasons to turn us down!

1. Yes he has, but it has not stopped our manager from still trying to sign him for Hibs, he turned an offer down from Portsmouth last week and Hibs moved for him again, i am sure he is now at Coventry City training.

2. Good luck to the lad where ever he ends up, but i doubt it will be at Hibs. Deno i am talking about. :greengrin

3.It sure is not but 99% of the time it is about the money, i would have him back at Hibs in a heartbeat, but just cannot see it happening.

DH1875
16-07-2012, 03:25 PM
That was the case if they got into div 1, but he's going abroad for 2 years :agree:

England :dunno:.

I'd love him back but can't see it happening.

Last Minute
16-07-2012, 03:35 PM
England :dunno:.

I'd love him back but can't see it happening.

somewhere nice and hot

blackpoolhibs
16-07-2012, 03:36 PM
somewhere nice and hot

Scorpios?

goosefat
16-07-2012, 03:56 PM
Who's 'Deno' anyway?

You're both wrong.

It's "Deeeeeeeanooooooo!!!" x 3

scoopyboy
16-07-2012, 05:15 PM

My thoughts exactly.

vanNISHtelroy
16-07-2012, 06:42 PM

Think there was an interview ages ago where Dean said if he didn't re-sign for us, he wouldn't be staying in Scotland...so either telling us what we want to hear or he fancies playing abroad/another shot down south.

loanheadhibby
16-07-2012, 06:59 PM
Think there was an interview ages ago where Dean said if he didn't re-sign for us, he wouldn't be staying in Scotland...so either telling us what we want to hear or he fancies playing abroad/another shot down south.

Is this the same Deano who could not get in the 16 for the cis final in 2007. I'm not a huge fan of players coming back. I'd prefer pat to look forward and not back.

.Sean.
16-07-2012, 07:06 PM
Is this the same Deano who could not get in the 16 for the cis final in 2007. I'm not a huge fan of players coming back. I'd prefer pat to look forward and not back.
I presume the same Deano who was injured at the time of the Final in 2007?

SMAXXA
16-07-2012, 07:11 PM

I dont agree with this, players develop and he is definatley one who left us and is now a better player for it, Fletch is the same albeit on a much higer standard. He was young when he was at Hibs and hes matured into a much better player IMO.

I would definatley have him back in a Heartbeat!

loanheadhibby
16-07-2012, 07:19 PM
I presume the same Deano who was injured at the time of the Final in 2007?

Apologies, did not realise that he was injured. Still think the point that he never played regularly under Mowbray or Collins tells its own story. Was there many tears shed when he left? The point I am making is lets broaden our horizons and not just go for ex players to appease fans. Where are the wee gems like murphy/Caldwell/benji/zemmama?

LeighLoyal
16-07-2012, 07:31 PM
Would be a good signing but he has been injured, not sure it's going to happen.

Gillyboy
16-07-2012, 08:03 PM
There is no way Deano is returning ..he could triple his wages playing in 3rd tier English football - not that good IMO ..couple of decent games for his auld man ..that's it!

Jonnyboy
16-07-2012, 08:08 PM
Apologies, did not realise that he was injured. Still think the point that he never played regularly under Mowbray or Collins tells its own story. Was there many tears shed when he left? The point I am making is lets broaden our horizons and not just go for ex players to appease fans. Where are the wee gems like murphy/Caldwell/benji/zemmama?

And the point I'd make is that he is better than all of our current midfielders AND he scores goals!

Come home Deano ............... please :greengrin

vanNISHtelroy
16-07-2012, 08:25 PM
He was apparently in the stand for Killie's 3-2 defeat to Livi at the weekend, so maybe staying up looking for a club....or just seeing his dad/team mates from last season

YehButNoBut
16-07-2012, 08:27 PM
He was apparently in the stand for Killie's 3-2 defeat to Livi at the weekend, so maybe staying up looking for a club....or just seeing his dad/team mates from last season

Killie are obviously missing him as they have just been stuffed 4-1 from Morton.

AlbertK86
16-07-2012, 08:36 PM

Yep injured but also look at the midfielders we had then. Mikey Stewart never got a game and he had been a regular.

Shiels was then and is even more so now miles better than any of last seasons midfielders

Thought he was very inventive when used in a free role when he was with us before

Can't see him coming but would take him in a minute

erin go bragh
16-07-2012, 08:53 PM
There is no way Deano is returning ..he could triple his wages playing in 3rd tier English football - not that good IMO ..couple of decent games for his auld man ..that's it!
Yes he had a couple of decent games right enough :confused: that's how he was nominated for the player of the season award .

ggtth

vanNISHtelroy
16-07-2012, 10:16 PM
Killie are obviously missing him as they have just been stuffed 4-1 from Morton.

Doesn't look good but seven of the starters won't start the first league game...should have been billed as a Killie XI or summat.

Would have been feeling ripped off if I'd paid £12 for a game between Morton and a second string Killie though!

number9dream
17-07-2012, 11:14 AM
Must be difficult saying no to your dad's team, then popping off to sign for a rival.
Dean is a talent and way better than any of the midfielders we have at present (not seen Cairney).
His wife is an Edinburgh lass, so that might work in our favour.
But I'd be surprised if a Championship / League One side didn't think he was worth a punt and we couldn't compete with the wages on offer.

If we could pull it off, then I'd like to see us going with Shiels, Cairney and Doyle buzzing around behind a new striker in a 4-2-3-1.
However, I fear that might be too much for a cautious wee fella like Nutsy and we don't really have the 2 or the 4 to make it work!

BarneyK
17-07-2012, 12:19 PM
Must be difficult saying no to your dad's team, then popping off to sign for a rival.
Dean is a talent and way better than any of the midfielders we have at present (not seen Cairney).
His wife is an Edinburgh lass, so that might work in our favour.
But I'd be surprised if a Championship / League One side didn't think he was worth a punt and we couldn't compete with the wages on offer.

If we could pull it off, then I'd like to see us going with Shiels, Cairney and Doyle buzzing around behind a new striker in a 4-2-3-1.
However, I fear that might be too much for a cautious wee fella like Nutsy and we don't really have the 2 or the 4 to make it work!

He wouldn't be saying No though, Killie can't afford to sign him. That said, I don't think we will be signing him either.

Nailrod
17-07-2012, 03:52 PM

I know how much he was getting paid at the time that he was scoring regularly for us as a sub, and in fact had the best goals scored per minutes played statistics at the club. A risible, insulting sum of money for a player who was doing a good job for us in the SPL. I would be very surprised if he ever wanted anything to do with Hibs again.

shagpile
17-07-2012, 03:55 PM
I know how much he was getting paid at the time that he was scoring regularly for us as a sub, and in fact had the best goals scored per minutes played statistics at the club. A risible, insulting sum of money for a player who was doing a good job for us in the SPL. I would be very surprised if he ever wanted anything to do with Hibs again.

The same Hibs who stood by the lad when he needed treatment on his eye?

Andy74
17-07-2012, 03:57 PM

He was happy to sign that contract as a kid at the time though wasn't he?

He would presumably be offerd now a market sum and if that isn't to his liking then fine. I doubt he'd worry too much about what was in his first contract.

Nailrod
17-07-2012, 04:13 PM
[/U]

The same Hibs who stood by the lad when he needed treatment on his eye?

He was a football player, with a contract, who was out for four months for an operation that had no possible impact on his fooballing ability. I very much doubt that he sees Hibs as the great benefactors from the sky for not breaking that contract.

blackpoolhibs
17-07-2012, 04:16 PM

When he scored against us last season, he did not celebrate the goal. I think he still feels something for us?

Nailrod
17-07-2012, 04:20 PM
He was happy to sign that contract as a kid at the time though wasn't he?

He would presumably be offerd now a market sum and if that isn't to his liking then fine. I doubt he'd worry too much about what was in his first contract.

If I signed a contract with a club, then by the time I had played around a hundred games for the club and scored around thirty goals (probably more than all our midfield players put together since he left) I might be thinking I was due a wee raise, so that I was getting paid more than Hearts youth players who hadn't even turned out for the reserves. But hey! Why pay him a ha'penny more than you're absolutely obliged to? A contract is a contract.

Just another of the talented players who have been hopelessly mismanaged by the club over the last five years.

blackpoolhibs
17-07-2012, 04:22 PM
If I signed a contract with a club, then by the time I had played around a hundred games for the club and scored around thirty goals (probably more than all our midfield players put together since he left) I might be thinking I was due a wee raise, so that I was getting paid more than Hearts youth players who hadn't even turned out for the reserves. But hey! Why pay him a ha'penny more than you're absolutely obliged to? A contract is a contract.

Just another of the talented players who have been hopelessly mismanaged by the club over the last five years.

Who are the others?

truehibernian
17-07-2012, 04:23 PM
He was a football player, with a contract, who was out for four months for an operation that had no possible impact on his fooballing ability. I very much doubt that he sees Hibs as the great benefactors from the sky for not breaking that contract.

Had Dean not had the operation he risked permanent blindness. So it went beyond 'affecting football ability'. It was potentially life changing. Hibs stood by him, and Dean repaid Hibs the only way he could by giving 100% each time he played.

My tuppence worth is that Dean's contract, for a young guy, wasn't that bad......as his flat off ER (at the time) and his sporty wee Mercedes showed. I'm sure guys his age would be quietly envious even now.

Nailrod
17-07-2012, 04:38 PM
Had Dean not had the operation he risked permanent blindness. So it went beyond 'affecting football ability'. It was potentially life changing. Hibs stood by him, and Dean repaid Hibs the only way he could by giving 100% each time he played.

My tuppence worth is that Dean's contract, for a young guy, wasn't that bad......as his flat off ER (at the time) and his sporty wee Mercedes showed. I'm sure guys his age would be quietly envious even now.

Wiki (referencing full BBC article): "Shiels had an operation to remove his right eye (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_eye), which had been blind (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blindness) since a domestic accident when he was eight years old. The damaged eye was causing headaches (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headache) and it was agreed that surgery was the best solution." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_Shiels#cite_note-2)

Do you know how much the "young guy" was getting paid? (He was 24 when he left us.)

Nailrod
17-07-2012, 04:52 PM
Who are the others?
Benji and Zemmama for a start. Would you like me to tell you about them? Do you really feel that Hibs made the very best they could out of these two players?

Or how about pretty much the whole of the double-winning youth team? Do you really think that none of them actually had the talent to make it in the SPL?

blackpoolhibs
17-07-2012, 04:55 PM
Benji and Zemmama for a start. Would you like me to tell you about them? Do you really feel that Hibs made the very best they could out of these two players?

Or how about pretty much the whole of the double-winning youth team? Do you really think that none of them actually had the talent to make it in the SPL?

Go on i'm listening.

truehibernian
17-07-2012, 05:07 PM
Wiki (referencing full BBC article): "Shiels had an operation to remove his right eye (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_eye), which had been blind (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blindness) since a domestic accident when he was eight years old. The damaged eye was causing headaches (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headache) and it was agreed that surgery was the best solution." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_Shiels#cite_note-2)

Do you know how much the "young guy" was getting paid? (He was 24 when he left us.)

24, in football terms, is still young. Yes he had gained experience however you are, or should be looking at, playing football until I'd say around 34-36. So he had (has) good years ahead of him. Given he signed from relative obscurity in the sense he was a youth on Arsenal's books I'd hazard a guess that he would have been on mid to high hundreds a week, not thousands with win bonuses bulking it up a little. He did however, as a result of his skills, get a very good contract at Doncaster which also brought in a small fee to Hibs.

Do you see a lot of 22-24 year olds in Edinburgh with affording a luxury apartment and owning a Merc ? (just out of interest and not being argumentative).

Regards his eye condition. I'm led to believe that playing contact sport, with his condition as it was, risked injury and could have affected his full sight. It was becoming inflamed and there was damage behind the eye (one that was removed) which in turn could affect his overall sight.

If you know him, ask him. Happy to be corrected if he says otherwise :wink:

And did Hibs not reward his early career with an improved deal ? (that one I could be mistaken on).

Perhaps silverhibee could ask Deek who in turn could ask Sam.

AlbertK86
17-07-2012, 05:14 PM

Well said

Lungo--Drom
17-07-2012, 05:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__WJJgIXk6U

Would Deno come back?

Uhhhh, Deno.

Nailrod
17-07-2012, 05:22 PM
Go on i'm listening.

The discovery of Benji and Zemmama had nothing at all to do with anybody at Hibs. They were scouted by a British guy married to a Moroccan woman, who spent a lot of his time out there. He sussed that there were some very talented players around, and along with his brother-in-law he spotted Benji and Zoomer, befriended them, and committed to trying to get a deal for them in the UK. But he wasn't an agent, and didn't have any good contacts in the cliquey little world of British football. Eventually he did manage to hook up with Hibs, and after some considerable complications, a deal was arranged. The day that Benji and Zoomer arrived at ER to sign, they were introduced to a man they had never seen before who, they were told, was now 'their agent'.* He happened to be a good mate of a rather important person at our club. The guy who actually found them got less than a hundred quid for his trouble, which didn't even pay his phone costs, but hey - he wasn't an agent - so Hibs weren't under any obligation to pay him anything. And as the old Hibs adage goes - Why spend a ha'penny if you're not absolutely obliged to? Benji was a fairly easy-going guy and never said anything to indicate he was that bothered, but Zoomer was a bit more shrewd and mature, and I think he was deeply offended by the skinflint way Hibs dealt with his friend, and by the lack of respect shown to him in forcing an agent he had never heard of on him. I suspect that coloured his attitiude to the club all the way through his career with us.

*I seem to recall that Hibs spent half a million quid on player acquisitions the year we settled the matter of Zoomer's signing. I believe a lot of that went on Alan O'Brien, and some certainly went to Zoomer's old club, but I always wondered if any of it managed to find its way into the pocket of his agent. I should emphasise that I have absolutely no information on that matter.

Oh, and I forgot my question - Do you really think that Hibs got the very best out of Benji and Zoomer, both when they were with us and when they left? I certainly don't.

Lungo--Drom
17-07-2012, 05:30 PM
No I don't either. It was like they were a couple of toys and the club got fed up playing with them. I don't think Zemamma liked playing on a heavy pitch mind.

...Oh, and I forgot my question - Do you really think that Hibs got the very best out of Benji and Zoomer, both when they were with us and when they left? I certainly don't.

blackpoolhibs
17-07-2012, 06:08 PM
The discovery of Benji and Zemmama had nothing at all to do with anybody at Hibs.

Not Hibs problem, clubs get phone calls and letter all the time about players they have not seen.

They were scouted by a British guy married to a Moroccan woman, who spent a lot of his time out there. He sussed that there were some very talented players around, and along with his brother-in-law he spotted Benji and Zoomer, befriended them, and committed to trying to get a deal for them in the UK. But he wasn't an agent, and didn't have any good contacts in the cliquey little world of British football. Eventually he did manage to hook up with Hibs, and after some considerable complications, a deal was arranged.

Still nothing wrong, and still nothing to do with Hibs.

The day that Benji and Zoomer arrived at ER to sign, they were introduced to a man they had never seen before who, they were told, was now 'their agent'.*

I'd imagine as they were new to this country, they met a lot of people they had never met before?

He happened to be a good mate of a rather important person at our club. The guy who actually found them got less than a hundred quid for his trouble, which didn't even pay his phone costs, but hey - he wasn't an agent - so Hibs weren't under any obligation to pay him anything. And as the old Hibs adage goes - Why spend a ha'penny if you're not absolutely obliged to?

I agree, why spend money you dont need to spend, especially if you dont know how good these player are?

Benji was a fairly easy-going guy and never said anything to indicate he was that bothered,

So he wasn't bothered.

but Zoomer was a bit more shrewd and mature, and I think he was deeply offended by the skinflint way Hibs dealt with his friend, and by the lack of respect shown to him in forcing an agent he had never heard of on him. I suspect that coloured his attitiude to the club all the way through his career with us.

Yip we showed him no respect, and never helped him when he wanted to go on loan to be near his new wife?????

*I seem to recall that Hibs spent half a million quid on player acquisitions the year we settled the matter of Zoomer's signing.
A fee in the region of 300K was it not, hardly making the club look like skinflints in my opinion

I believe a lot of that went on Alan O'Brien, and some certainly went to Zoomer's old club, but I always wondered if any of it managed to find its way into the pocket of his agent. I should emphasise that I have absolutely no information on that matter.

Me neither, so nothing to get upset about then.

Oh, and I forgot my question - Do you really think that Hibs got the very best out of Benji and Zoomer, both when they were with us and when they left? I certainly don't.

Both were hot and cold, on their day decent players, on their off days a waste of time.

Nailrod
17-07-2012, 07:15 PM
The discovery of Benji and Zemmama had nothing at all to do with anybody at Hibs.

Not Hibs problem, clubs get phone calls and letter all the time about players they have not seen.
I didn't say it was a problem. It was simply background information in case you were labouring under the common misconception that the discover of Benji and Zoomer was all about Hibs brilliant scouting system.

They were scouted by a British guy married to a Moroccan woman, who spent a lot of his time out there. He sussed that there were some very talented players around, and along with his brother-in-law he spotted Benji and Zoomer, befriended them, and committed to trying to get a deal for them in the UK. But he wasn't an agent, and didn't have any good contacts in the cliquey little world of British football. Eventually he did manage to hook up with Hibs, and after some considerable complications, a deal was arranged.

Still nothing wrong, and still nothing to do with Hibs.
Ditto

The day that Benji and Zoomer arrived at ER to sign, they were introduced to a man they had never seen before who, they were told, was now 'their agent'.*

I'd imagine as they were new to this country, they met a lot of people they had never met before?
I don't think you've quite understood. On the day they they turned up at ER to sign their contracts, they were pressurised into signing up with an agent they had never met or heard of before, who was there apparently at the invitation of a senior member of Hibs management team, who also happened to be a friend of said agent. They had never expressed any need or want to sign up with any agent, far less soomebody who was a friend of one of the club's senior managers. Apart from anything else, whose interests was he going to be representing in any future discussions? If you genuinely can't see a problem with that, then frankly you're an idiot.

He happened to be a good mate of a rather important person at our club. The guy who actually found them got less than a hundred quid for his trouble, which didn't even pay his phone costs, but hey - he wasn't an agent - so Hibs weren't under any obligation to pay him anything. And as the old Hibs adage goes - Why spend a ha'penny if you're not absolutely obliged to?

I agree, why spend money you dont need to spend, especially if you dont know how good these player are?
Quite. Sh*t on the small people, just because you can. It will never come back to haunt you. They guy who was sh*t on would never go near Hibs again. But hey, who cares? We've got brilliant players pouring out of our backsides. And are you deliberately being obtuse? Are you seriously claiming that Hibs didn't know how good Benji and Zoomer were by the time they actually signed their contracts? Maybe you should go back and check out some of the things Mowbraw was saying at the time. Just in case you haven't quite grasped it yet, allow me to repeat that. I'm not talking about when they came along for trials. I'm talking about when they came to sign their contracts.

Benji was a fairly easy-going guy and never said anything to indicate he was that bothered,
So he wasn't bothered.
How do you know? He might have been extremely angry about it, and just nver felt like expressing his anger.

but Zoomer was a bit more shrewd and mature, and I think he was deeply offended by the skinflint way Hibs dealt with his friend, and by the lack of respect shown to him in forcing an agent he had never heard of on him. I suspect that coloured his attitiude to the club all the way through his career with us.

Yip we showed him no respect, and never helped him when he wanted to go on loan to be near his new wife?????
When somebody takes a crap on you, I think you tend not to be all that grateful if later on they wipe it off.

*I seem to recall that Hibs spent half a million quid on player acquisitions the year we settled the matter of Zoomer's signing.
A fee in the region of 300K was it not, hardly making the club look like skinflints in my opinion
I don't know. The club never actually divulged how much they had paid to the Moroccans, and they never provided any details on exactly what the half million was made up of. They just gave the top line figure.

I believe a lot of that went on Alan O'Brien, and some certainly went to Zoomer's old club, but I always wondered if any of it managed to find its way into the pocket of his agent. I should emphasise that I have absolutely no information on that matter.

Me neither, so nothing to get upset about then.
Not if you don't actually care whether the 'agent' who was a pal of one of our board members was paid money for work he never did.

Both were hot and cold, on their day decent players, on their off days a waste of time.
Compared with who, in our current squad, for example?

stantonhibby
17-07-2012, 07:35 PM
The discovery of Benji and Zemmama had nothing at all to do with anybody at Hibs. They were scouted by a British guy married to a Moroccan woman, who spent a lot of his time out there. He sussed that there were some very talented players around, and along with his brother-in-law he spotted Benji and Zoomer, befriended them, and committed to trying to get a deal for them in the UK. But he wasn't an agent, and didn't have any good contacts in the cliquey little world of British football. Eventually he did manage to hook up with Hibs, and after some considerable complications, a deal was arranged. The day that Benji and Zoomer arrived at ER to sign, they were introduced to a man they had never seen before who, they were told, was now 'their agent'.* He happened to be a good mate of a rather important person at our club. The guy who actually found them got less than a hundred quid for his trouble, which didn't even pay his phone costs, but hey - he wasn't an agent - so Hibs weren't under any obligation to pay him anything. And as the old Hibs adage goes - Why spend a ha'penny if you're not absolutely obliged to? Benji was a fairly easy-going guy and never said anything to indicate he was that bothered, but Zoomer was a bit more shrewd and mature, and I think he was deeply offended by the skinflint way Hibs dealt with his friend, and by the lack of respect shown to him in forcing an agent he had never heard of on him. I suspect that coloured his attitiude to the club all the way through his career with us.

*I seem to recall that Hibs spent half a million quid on player acquisitions the year we settled the matter of Zoomer's signing. I believe a lot of that went on Alan O'Brien, and some certainly went to Zoomer's old club, but I always wondered if any of it managed to find its way into the pocket of his agent. I should emphasise that I have absolutely no information on that matter.

Benji was here on trial in early 2006 and signed in March 06. Zemmama didn't sign until the August of that year.

truehibernian
17-07-2012, 07:38 PM
'and just nver felt like expressing his anger.'

Nailrod - I for one was always a fully fledged supporter of both Zemmama and Benji. Both had terrific natural ability and high skill levels. A few years back I posted about the loss of Zemmama in particular to Mixu's side (when he was injured pre-split) and his stats when he played. The problem with him however was the lack of game time and (I think) problems that were in his head. I spoke with a sports scientist who spoke with Zemmama at a time when he was injured - his words to me were that he felt a lot of the 'injury' was exaggerated in the player's head.

Regards Benji - an enigma of a player and I've quoted you above because by all accounts his application at training bordered on unacceptable I hear. I wish I'd heard about him really applying himself on and off the pitch. A player who I always felt thought it was going to 'fall into his lap'.

Both were afforded a lot of time and help while at Hibernian, by the Board and by three managers. Zemmama was given fantastic support through his marriage issues and his injury problems. Benji was given a lot of slack when he became homesick and when his parent passed. Both players (in my humble opinion) were given far too much support during Ramadan - I feel that they could and should have played, and Collins was a little too lenient on that front.

However I'm glad I got the opportunity to watch and support both players. On form both were quite superb and off the field they seemed very genuine, nice, humble lads.

allezsauzee
17-07-2012, 08:33 PM
Aye, Deano would come home

Macaroon
17-07-2012, 09:04 PM
The answer is a no. Unfortunately.

Would love to be proven wrong. But it seems very very unlikely at this stage.

silverhibee
18-07-2012, 01:14 PM
When he scored against us last season, he did not celebrate the goal. I think he still feels something for us?

He does BH, he loved his time at Hibs playing for us, but that was then, he may look at Hibs now and think, is it worth the risk.

silverhibee
18-07-2012, 01:34 PM

Was that the one behind the new main stand.

silverhibee
18-07-2012, 01:39 PM

No, how much was he getting paid.

truehibernian
18-07-2012, 01:43 PM

Afternoon SH.....how goes it ? Was the flat there not Derek and Sam's ? I am thinking of a flat he lived in just off ER......just beyond the junction at Albion Road, left hand side (wee private apartments) as you go down towards the Links ?

I know Benji and wee Zooma stayed behind the main stand.

silverhibee
18-07-2012, 01:57 PM
24, in football terms, is still young. Yes he had gained experience however you are, or should be looking at, playing football until I'd say around 34-36. So he had (has) good years ahead of him. Given he signed from relative obscurity in the sense he was a youth on Arsenal's books I'd hazard a guess that he would have been on mid to high hundreds a week, not thousands with win bonuses bulking it up a little. He did however, as a result of his skills, get a very good contract at Doncaster which also brought in a small fee to Hibs.

Do you see a lot of 22-24 year olds in Edinburgh with affording a luxury apartment and owning a Merc ? (just out of interest and not being argumentative).

Regards his eye condition. I'm led to believe that playing contact sport, with his condition as it was, risked injury and could have affected his full sight. It was becoming inflamed and there was damage behind the eye (one that was removed) which in turn could affect his overall sight.

If you know him, ask him. Happy to be corrected if he says otherwise :wink:

And did Hibs not reward his early career with an improved deal ? (that one I could be mistaken on).

Perhaps silverhibee could ask Deek who in turn could ask Sam.

I do, but they aint football players. :wink: :greengrin

Last bit, no need to ask anyone, the op had to be done for reasons you said above. :aok:

Sam Morrow, remember when the two of them moved to Hibs and shared a flat, Sam's choice of music and flag that hung out on the balcony at the back were just not Hibs Class. :wink: :greengrin

Sammy boy was a true blue. :cb

Hibby Mike
18-07-2012, 02:00 PM

Deano, I believe, owned a flat at Powderhall Rigg - new builds, close to St. Mary's Park. Or at least him and his Mercedes was seen there regularly.

As said previously I'm not sure if the boy would see Hibs as a wise move, and who'd blame him. New/unproven (as yet) manager. A team who has struggled for more then two seasons now, and one which almost got relegated last year. More players out than in. No cash, disgruntled fans....it goes on an on. I'm sure he'll have a niggling gripe in the back of his mind that when he was here last time, he mainly got used as a bit part player.

Unfortunately Hibs need Deano more than he needs us...if he were to sign it would be towards the end of the transfer window when nothing much better was on offer to him (a la route down south).

Here's hoping

silverhibee
18-07-2012, 03:20 PM
Afternoon SH.....how goes it ? Was the flat there not Derek and Sam's ? I am thinking of a flat he lived in just off ER......just beyond the junction at Albion Road, left hand side (wee private apartments) as you go down towards the Links ?

I know Benji and wee Zooma stayed behind the main stand.

Afternoon TH, no Deek had the flat on the bottom for himself and Sam and Dean shared a flat together at the back of the main stand, the last time i knew Dean had moved to a flat at Powderhall new development, he now stays in Glasgow.

May be wrong here but sure someone at the clubs owns the flats and more down in that development at the back of the main stand.

Sad news is i am of the sweeties, doctors orders. :boo hoo: :greengrin

matty_f
18-07-2012, 03:26 PM
Benji was here on trial in early 2006 and signed in March 06. Zemmama didn't sign until the August of that year.
Does this information not pretty much discredit Nailrod's whole take on things? :confused:

matty_f
18-07-2012, 04:05 PM
Does this information not pretty much discredit Nailrod's whole take on things? :confused:

Hermit Crab
19-07-2012, 07:11 AM
Over on KB there's a thread stating hearts are in talks with deano. Oh dear surely not?? :(

Macaroon
19-07-2012, 12:37 PM
Over on KB there's a thread stating hearts are in talks with deano. Oh dear surely not?? :(

I'm sorry but if we can't afford him then how on earth can they.

He sure as hell wouldn't choose them over us on personal grounds and they can't legitimately outpay us in this current situation so I highly doubt he will end up there. If he does, well that's just Hearts taking one step closer to administration

Heisenberg
19-07-2012, 12:46 PM
Deano absolutely hates the jambos. No chance of him going there.

sleeping giant
19-07-2012, 12:56 PM

Apologies if this has already been mentioned but his Dad was on the telly saying he had loads of time for Hibs due to the way we treated his boy during his surgery. He also said he would never forget it.

Hermit Crab
19-07-2012, 01:13 PM
I'm sorry but if we can't afford him then how on earth can they.

He sure as hell wouldn't choose them over us on personal grounds and they can't legitimately outpay us in this current situation so I highly doubt he will end up there. If he does, well that's just Hearts taking one step closer to administration

http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/115427-dean-shiels/

Macaroon
19-07-2012, 01:46 PM
http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/115427-dean-shiels/

Link doesn't work pal

Hermit Crab
19-07-2012, 02:13 PM
Link doesn't work pal

Yeah sorry youve got to be logged into KB to view it.

Last Minute
19-07-2012, 02:36 PM

No chance, they can dream :wink:

Hermit Crab
19-07-2012, 02:58 PM
No chance, they can dream :wink:

So can we! :wink:

Last Minute
19-07-2012, 03:12 PM
So can we! :wink:

maybe we'll get woken up sooner than we think :wink:

Titch
19-07-2012, 03:42 PM

I hope so I'm am all dreamed oot

Hermit Crab
19-07-2012, 03:58 PM

Hmm, do you know something that us people that aren't in the know don't? ;)

Shrekko
19-07-2012, 04:24 PM
Hmm, do you know something that us people that aren't in the know don't? ;)
He's already said he won't be coming to Hibs and that he's away somewhere nice and hot for 2 years.

HibbyAndy
19-07-2012, 04:26 PM
He's already said he won't be coming to Hibs and that he's away somewhere nice and hot for 2 years.

Kina see the link?.

MSK
19-07-2012, 04:27 PM

Kina see the link?.http://riosuntanning.co.uk/?kw=sunbeds%20for%20sale&fl=428318&ci=579886270&network=s :aok:

HibbyAndy
19-07-2012, 05:09 PM
http://riosuntanning.co.uk/?kw=sunbeds%20for%20sale&fl=428318&ci=579886270&network=s :aok:

:hilarious

A clicked oan that like a radge without reading the link head title:greengrin

Shrekko
19-07-2012, 05:14 PM
Kina see the link?.

Click on Last Minutes username then view his previous posts- shouldn't take you too long.

HibbyAndy
19-07-2012, 05:19 PM
Click on Last Minutes username then view his previous posts- shouldn't take you too long.

Nowt official though eh?.. Last minute has dropped a few hints that he wont be at Easter rd but nowt official saying where he is going.

SouthMoroccoStu
19-07-2012, 05:22 PM
Deano absolutely hates the jambos. No chance of him going there.

:agree: yeah, really can't see him wanting to join a club who (disgusting) fans would sing a tasteless song about him losing his eye.

Not enough money in the world

Come on home Deano :flag:

Shrekko
19-07-2012, 05:26 PM
Nowt official though eh?.. Last minute has dropped a few hints that he wont be at Easter rd but nowt official saying where he is going.

Errrrm....you've lost me.

Guy asked Last Minute if he had any inside info on Deano and I posted what he'd already said about Deano. Seems pretty simple to me?

HibbyAndy
19-07-2012, 05:30 PM
Errrrm....you've lost me.

Guy asked Last Minute if he had any inside info on Deano and I posted what he'd already said about Deano. Seems pretty simple to me?

And i asked if it was official, Pretty simple to me too?.

Ken what lets just leave it :aok:

AL-Qaholik
21-07-2012, 01:39 PM
BBC Gossip saying Newhun have 'opened talks with Dean Shiels' whilst trying to tie up Beattie, Black and Sandaza before their transfer embargo comes into effect...

Obviously Newhun FC can still offer more in wages than any other side in Scotland bar Septic - but you have to wonder about the sporting aspirations of anyone who seriously considers signing for them if there is interest from any other SPL sides...

I would hope Deano, at the very least, would look slightly beyond the purely financial and lean more towards a return to ER - assuming Fenlon wants him and that we are even vaguely in the ball park wage-wise, of course...

JohnStephens91
21-07-2012, 01:49 PM
If Shiels does go there I will lose a massive amount of respect for him, he should be playing a high level of football and getting into the NI squad on a regular basis, playing 3rd division football will make that even more difficult.

Thecat23
21-07-2012, 01:53 PM
Guys lets be honest here. Newco will be invited into an SPL 2 so only for one season they will be down there for. That's why players will still sign on now. If I were Dean and got offered more cash than what any other SPL team offered I know who I'd go too!

Jim44
21-07-2012, 02:13 PM
Guys lets be honest here. Newco will be invited into an SPL 2 so only for one season they will be down there for. That's why players will still sign on now. If I were Dean and got offered more cash than what any other SPL team offered I know who I'd go too!

Reconstruction won't happen until season 2013-14 if at all. This means that any players stupid enough to sign for them will be out of the SPL for at least two years. It's a big decision for the likes of Shiels as, money apart, they are not going to develop as players, playing pub league hoofball and, by the time they get back into the top tier, Rangers will be ready to bin them for better players.

woodythehibee
21-07-2012, 02:17 PM
Heard deano is close to agreeing a deal. More money and is a rangers fan. Bizzare for any player who is capable of better things to join a 3rd division team. All about the money and no career ambition at all.

HibbyDave
21-07-2012, 02:21 PM
Hmmmm, let me think............................................. .More cash.

Being a player at Castle Greyskull (instead of a mid table team in SP Hell) will not hinder his chances of getting capped for NI, quite the opposite I think.

The clue is in the title of every players' job: PROFESSIONAL Footballer. They go where the cash is.

blackpoolhibs
21-07-2012, 03:31 PM

Yip a cock and bull story from the 1st word.:agree:

AlbertK86
23-07-2012, 03:58 PM
According to BBC both Sheffield Clubs after Deano as well.

Reckon they may pay a wee bit more than us in wages !!!

IWasThere2016
23-07-2012, 04:13 PM
He was never coming to Hibs.

AlbertK86
23-07-2012, 04:14 PM
He was never coming to Hibs.

Yep - with you on that albeit if he does appear through some miracle i'll be more than happy

LioNeilMessi
23-07-2012, 06:48 PM
Where do Rangers get the money to offer a lot more than teams like us or the Sheffields can? If I was Green (or whomever buys them next) I wouldn't be relying on 40k+ Rangers fans turning up and paying to watch D3 home games. With no substantial income (in comparison to what they had -tax savings) for the foreseeable future to justify investment they'll be skint just as much as every other team is in Scotland, surely?

Andy74
24-07-2012, 01:13 PM
Where do Rangers get the money to offer a lot more than teams like us or the Sheffields can? If I was Green (or whomever buys them next) I wouldn't be relying on 40k+ Rangers fans turning up and paying to watch D3 home games. With no substantial income (in comparison to what they had -tax savings) for the foreseeable future to justify investment they'll be skint just as much as every other team is in Scotland, surely?

They will still probably get about 20k fans for home games and so that still gives them the second biggest budget in Scotland by a decent distance.

blackpoolhibs
24-07-2012, 01:18 PM
They will still probably get about 20k fans for home games and so that still gives them the second biggest budget in Scotland by a decent distance.

What about bills, not sure just how true it was, but someone posted costs are £8m a year before a wage is paid? :dunno:

20k season ticket holders at what they are selling at does not cover that £8m. Where is the money coming from to pay these wages? :confused:

Part/Time Supporter
24-07-2012, 11:04 PM
Daily Mail journo Stephen McGowan is saying on twitter that zombie huns have offered Shiels four years @ £7K per week.

Mental.

SteveHFC
24-07-2012, 11:13 PM
Daily Mail journo Stephen McGowan is saying on twitter that zombie huns have offered Shiels four years @ £7K per week.

Mental.

How the **** can they afford to offer wages like that :rolleyes:

The_Horde
24-07-2012, 11:17 PM

Exactly, can't believe they lifted the transfer embargo without at least making some restrictions on spending. Ridiculous.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
24-07-2012, 11:39 PM

Nae debt.......

What the **** do they need the likes of Deano, Beattie, Black for in the 3rd division?

It's a brand new start for them and they would appear to be carrying on with the profligate spending from the last regime. Mental.

Is super swally really that unsure of his ability as a manager?

marinello59
25-07-2012, 06:17 AM
Nae debt.......

What the **** do they need the likes of Deano, Beattie, Black for in the 3rd division?

It's a brand new start for them and they would appear to be carrying on with the profligate spending from the last regime. Mental.

Is super swally really that unsure of his ability as a manager?

They have people like Kennedy waiting on the sidelines to dump another £5 million in to the coffers of a debt free club with a massive support. If they do make the starting line then the power bases in Scottish football will not really have changed. The best option for Rangers themselves was to start again in SFL3 rather than SFL1. It is naive to assume that they won't be back bigger and stronger than ever.

blackpoolhibs
25-07-2012, 11:05 AM
They have people like Kennedy waiting on the sidelines to dump another £5 million in to the coffers of a debt free club with a massive support. If they do make the starting line then the power bases in Scottish football will not really have changed. The best option for Rangers themselves was to start again in SFL3 rather than SFL1. It is naive to assume that they won't be back bigger and stronger than ever.

It could take a lot longer if we get the right result with these EBT's? :wink:

LioNeilMessi
25-07-2012, 01:03 PM

We'll soon find out how massive a support they have when they aren't winning major titles/trebles every other year. I imagine if they start wasting 7k a week on players surplus to 3rd division needs (deano) then they will find themselves in a bad state once again. Plus Shiels should know better, he isn't a youngster any more and this would be such a waste of talent.

ancienthibby
25-07-2012, 01:14 PM

Not so!

Kennedy wants to buy 51% of the newco with this money, so it goes to the existing shareholders, making a nice wee return for CharlieBoy!

If he then wants to swell the coffers of the club, then he needs to find other monies!:agree:

dmc1875
25-07-2012, 01:42 PM
Not so!

Kennedy wants to buy 51% of the newco with this money, so it goes to the existing shareholders, making a nice wee return for CharlieBoy!

If he then wants to swell the coffers of the club, then he needs to find other monies!:agree:

Just getting back to the Deano signing for Hibs rumour, do you think it had something to do with Leigh Griffiths coming back that we aren't in the frame at all anymore?

I was speaking with his dad last year after we beat them 3-1 at Rugby park and he said that he loves hibs but mentioned that he had a genuine dislike for Leigh although wouldnt elaborate why. Fairly brief chat to be fair.

I've tried to ask some people ''in the know'' at the club about it and it seems that this could have been a factor...

keithkeith
31-07-2012, 12:18 PM
Shiels allegedy in having a medical at Newco.

:rolleyes:

GGTTH07
31-07-2012, 12:20 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19060311
Lost respect.. Money grabber.

Pretty Boy
31-07-2012, 12:22 PM
He'll go way down in my estimation if he signs for them.

IWasThere2016
31-07-2012, 12:23 PM
Yup - 4 year deal agreed apparently.

Spike Mandela
31-07-2012, 12:24 PM
He is a Rangers Supporter. No brainer really. No doubt given assurances will be back in top flight in two years or less.

This transfer embargo really makes me laugh, just another month of Newco signings till it kicks in:faf:
God this SFA are tough.:rolleyes:

Keith_M
31-07-2012, 12:30 PM
This 'Signing Embargo' becomes more of a joke every day.

Personally, I hope they go bust soon and those money grabbers that are happy to sign for a 3rd division team for big bucks end up with nothing.

Newry Hibs
31-07-2012, 12:33 PM
Where are Sevco getting the money from to pay these (and other staff) wages?

As I understood it, Geen & Co paid (or lent) £5.5m to buy old rangers. They don't have a bank account??? So who is putting in the money to keep paying any bills (and presumably Hector)?

iwasthere1972
31-07-2012, 12:33 PM
3 years of his career wasted in the lower leagues. If he's still there when they get back in the SPL then I can't see him getting a game.

What a waste.

LeighLoyal
31-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Sevco contract worth the paper it's printed on?

blindsummit
31-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Pathetic and disgusting.

The only transfer embargo in the world that allows a whole team to be built regardless.

No respsect for Sheils now, none at all. I will laugh till my sides split when Sevoc go bust and all these players signing for them are left on the scrapheap.

Just what have they been promised? SPL next year perhaps? And if they have, then who promised that to Sevco. The corruption is now on full and unabashed display in Scottish Football, or Sevco Football as it should be renamed.

A club owing $140m to all and sundry, and they sign players no one else in Scotland can afford. Pathetic.

wearethehibs
31-07-2012, 12:35 PM
Lost all respect for him. No ambition

Cabbage East
31-07-2012, 12:36 PM
What an erse. The peak of his career will be spent languishing in the lower leagues for what? A few extra grand a month? Nice one.

blindsummit
31-07-2012, 12:38 PM

I would humbly disagree with you in one respect. Rangers/Sevco are now even MORE powerful than they were before. They openly control the SFA and SPL, the leagues will be reformed to suit them, they have shed their crippling debt like an old skin and will now completely crush all of the rest of us. Scottish football is DEAD, welcome to the Sevco League.

Jim44
31-07-2012, 12:42 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19060311
Lost respect.. Money grabber.

I've no quibble with the money grabbing side of it. I just can't understand why a professional footballer would give up a promising career to play in a division so far removed from any semblance of quality.

Off the bar
31-07-2012, 12:43 PM
leaves a real bad taste in my mouth, watching a debt free rangers poach players from the spl. 7k a week for 4 years is nearly £1.5m, how the f can they afford this? minimal tv money, f all prize money up for grabs, doubts about how many season tickets have been sold, at least they've learnt their lesson about building around unsustainable debt, just hope they pay the tax this time.

Mon Dieu4
31-07-2012, 12:44 PM
I've no quibble with the money grabbing side of it. I just can't understand why a professional footballer would give up a promising career to play in a division so far removed from any semblance of quality.

I agree with you, why would a player on the fringes of the international set up throw it away for 3 years, beyond belief even for the money

Andy74
31-07-2012, 12:45 PM

If you were a footballer and the current Hibs had to restart in the lower leagues, you'd probably see being able to help them back up, and getting paid decent wages too, as a bit of a no brainer?

31-07-2012, 12:45 PM
What an erse. The peak of his career will be spent languishing in the lower leagues for what? A few extra grand a month? Nice one.

:agree: waste.

Elephant Stone
31-07-2012, 12:47 PM
leaves a real bad taste in my mouth, watching a debt free rangers poach players from the spl. 7k a week for 4 years is nearly £1.5m, how the f can they afford this? minimal tv money, f all prize money up for grabs, doubts about how many season tickets have been sold, at least they've learnt their lesson about building around unsustainable debt, just hope they pay the tax this time.

The unnecessary burden might make you feel better, there's no way they'll need Shiels or Black in the third division. This would be the perfect time to develop their young players and let their pennies accumulate. Seems a bit stupid if you ask me.

SteveHFC
31-07-2012, 12:47 PM
Lost all respect for Deano :aok:

iwasthere1972
31-07-2012, 12:48 PM

I would find it hard to believe that he would be on anywhere near £7K a week. Does it confirm that anywhere?

Off the bar
just occurred to me we've been unable to make as many signings of the quality we would desire because of the uncertainty created by them going under, yet we have to watch them signing players we would have been delighted to sign for 2 or 3 times what we could pay them, and they've not been punished enough? It makes me so angry.

Nando™
Rangers fan + money talks = Cannae blame him.

Must say though, I hope it all goes utterly tits up for him and his new club sharpish.

fit o' the walk
31-07-2012, 12:50 PM
I'm sure that these players who are signing for "Scotlands Disgrace" have been assured that SPL re construction will be in place the season after next.:confused:

Andy74
31-07-2012, 12:50 PM
just occurred to me we've been unable to make as many signings of the quality we would desire because of the uncertainty created by them going under, yet we have to watch them signing players we would have been delighted to sign for 2 or 3 times what we could pay them, and they've not been punished enough? It makes me so angry.

Looks like they will still be second best team in the cup competitions.

Off the bar
31-07-2012, 12:52 PM
I would find it hard to believe that he would be on anywhere near £7K a week. Does it confirm that anywhere?

posted a bit further back on this thread, not that I hold the opinion of the Daily Mail too highly! but £7K is what 2 or 3 times our top earner? disgusting

''Daily Mail journo Stephen McGowan is saying on twitter that zombie huns have offered Shiels four years @ £7K per week.''

JohnStephens91
31-07-2012, 12:54 PM
Disgusting lack of ambition, he could have played for his country and it is not likely to happen by signing a contract with a 3rd Division team. Any respect I had for him is now gone, to me he becomes just another footballing mercenary. A good player that is now just a complete and utter waste.

Off the bar
31-07-2012, 12:54 PM
Looks like they will still be second best team in the cup competitions.

that is a depressing thought, I'd been clinging to the idea that we would draw an understrenght hun at ER and give them a doing to make up for some of the tankings they gave us during the cheating years.

Captain Trips
31-07-2012, 01:01 PM
I can understand the move from his POV unfortuntaly. The wages he will have been on while playing will of course be good but I do not think he has even been close to 7k p/w.

The difference that 2-3k pw to 7k pw will make to your life is to much. If he was on 50k pw and was offered 55k pw then although 5k difference not much of a lifestyle change so you could make a footballing decision, if he is on 7k there IMO is no footballing motives and I cannot blame him.

Situation as a whole is disgusting though.

Macaroon
31-07-2012, 01:05 PM
It's understandable to a degree, unfortunately. He's a die hard rangers fan. If Hibs got dumped to the lower leagues and (hypothetically) we could still pay decent wages, you could see people like Deeks, Fletcher, Murphy etc coming back to help us get back up. Obviously they are well out of our price range but just using them as an example.

Still though it seems like such a waste of the last few years of his career. If they are back in the SPL in 2/3 years time then I doubt he will get a game. So he will have spent the last few years of his career when he is playing his best football in the lower leagues of a pretty dire footballing country lets be honest.

Guess I'll go find another avatar now then. :rolleyes:

Franck Stanton
31-07-2012, 01:05 PM
Lets face facts lads, he will now be a regular in Scotland squads BECAUSE he is a Rangers player. Rangers will still get more TV time than 80% of the SPL and I fully expect a change in the league set-up to be announced shortly thereby Servco will be back in the top div very soon. The west coast mafia will not allow the jewel in their crown to languish in the lower leagues for too long - they just haven't come up with an acceptable excuse for making them a "Special case". As for Deano - well, goes from hero to zero in my eyes.

CropleyWasGod
31-07-2012, 01:06 PM
Lets face facts lads, he will now be a regular in Scotland squads BECAUSE he is a Rangers player. Rangers will still get more TV time than 80% of the SPL and I fully expect a change in the league set-up to be announced shortly thereby Servco will be back in the top div very soon. The west coast mafia will not allow the jewel in their crown to languish in the lower leagues for too long - they just haven't come up with an acceptable excuse for making them a "Special case". As for Deano - well, goes from hero to zero in my eyes.

That'll be something else we can slag the cheating Huns about.

He's Northern Irish. :greengrin

Andy74
31-07-2012, 01:07 PM

I doubt this will turn him Scottish to be fair.

Macaroon
31-07-2012, 01:07 PM

That would be the last straw for me. :cb

Franck Stanton
31-07-2012, 01:09 PM
I doubt this will turn him Scottish to be fair.

Oops, so you spotted the deliberate [not] mistake then, forgot he was Irish international, sorry - having a blonde moment, however the sentiment is true

LancsHibs
31-07-2012, 01:13 PM
Is that the extent of his ambition!:tsk tsk:

degenerated
31-07-2012, 01:17 PM
Is that the extent of his ambition!:tsk tsk:

Looks like it as I heard that St Pauli were offering far more as were Sheffield united.

Bizarre choice of club.

essexhibee
31-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Oh deano. You silly money grabbing fool. The whole situation is a joke and the **** will come back stronger than before.

Dunno why I even bother with scottish football anymore.

IWasThere2016
31-07-2012, 01:25 PM
Oh deano. You silly money grabbing fool. The whole situation is a joke and the **** will come back stronger than before.

Dunno why I even bother with scottish football anymore.

Well, you better brace yoursel' as Beattie is next; Kyle is on trial and they're in talks with a Greek internationalist.

Jim44
31-07-2012, 01:28 PM
If you were a footballer and the current Hibs had to restart in the lower leagues, you'd probably see being able to help them back up, and getting paid decent wages too, as a bit of a no brainer?

No I wouldn't, especially when I knew that they could easily afford to bring in vastly cheaper players of a lesser quality who are more than capable of strolling through the lower divisions. Newco are unnecessarily using an expensive overpowered sledgehammer to crack a walnut. By the end of this month they will have built a team which would probably be able to challenge Celtic for the SPL title.

Captain Trips
31-07-2012, 01:31 PM
**** Sevco, the lack of much movement at all at ER is my biggest concern just now.

Macaroon
31-07-2012, 01:32 PM
Well, you better brace yoursel' as Beattie is next; Kyle is on trial and they're in talks with a Greek internationalist.

I hope it's that wee prick who kept diving against Germany. Just wait till he's in the SPL and playing at ER. Steal one of his tops and let Stephens sniff it to get his scent, show him a picture of the prey, then we let him loose. :devil:

vanNISHtelroy
31-07-2012, 01:32 PM
Bit disappointed but won't forget the great season he gave us! A goal in a semi against A$r is always a good thing too!

GreenPJ
31-07-2012, 01:34 PM
Whilst I would have preferred he had not gone there if he was being offered more money by Sheffield and the German team he can be accused of lack of ambition but surely not a money grabber.

spoing
31-07-2012, 01:38 PM

Has there not been any moves made to force clubs to stick to wages to turnover rules. How can Sevco seriously afford to finance this.

Onion
31-07-2012, 01:43 PM

They have no structural debt, do not pay tax (like other companies), do not pay creditors and pay their players through tax-evasion schemes. It's only mugs who abide by the law and play by the rules, cause the penalty for being caught doesn't amount to a slap on the wrists and you can blame everyone else :wink:

Hermit Crab
31-07-2012, 01:45 PM
Yup - 4 year deal agreed apparently.

****ing snake. Mercenaries the lot of them.

Phil MaGlass
31-07-2012, 02:02 PM
Sold his soul to the devil he has........

PeterboroHibee
31-07-2012, 02:06 PM
Im not one that was particularly bothered about Shiels coming back to Hibs, but this is ridiculous. They are in the 4th tier in Scottish football, and yet are assembling a team that would rival most SPL clubs, and paying wages way beyond anybody apart from Celtic can afford.

I understand it in a way in terms of the financial benefits for these players, but was there no way for them to go somewhere in the Championship, on similar wages, and actually showing a bit of ambition?

hibsmad
31-07-2012, 02:17 PM
Am I surprised about his decision to sign for Sevco?

No.

He has gone to his boyhood heroes and will make a tidy sum while playing in the lower leagues for them over the next few years. Not only that but he will probably, along with the rest of the players there, have a great time doing it. Rolling over every team in their path and acting like proper big time Charlies while the fans worship the ground they walk on for helping "save" their club.

The disappointing side of it for me is that I have now lost a player who I previously spoke fondly of and who I would have enjoyed telling kids/grandkids about as one of the players I enjoyed watching when I was younger. The reason being that I can not think well of anyone who would be happy to play for that vile club especially in its current state. It unfortunately for me says more about the person than the player.

Just Alf
31-07-2012, 02:21 PM
No I wouldn't, especially when I knew that they could easily afford to bring in vastly cheaper players of a lesser quality who are more than capable of strolling through the lower divisions. Newco are unnecessarily using an expensive overpowered sledgehammer to crack a walnut. By the end of this month they will have built a team which would probably be able to challenge Celtic for the SPL title.

Crazy :rolleyes:

I guess they got a fright with being taken to injury time on Sunday.

I can only hope that the signing embargo forces them to overspend and they'll end up feeling the financial pinch.

berty_mee
31-07-2012, 02:27 PM
This just goes to show the ridiculous and embarressing packages Petrie and Hibs offer. He was one of Fenlon's main targets and he chose the great unwashed and the 4th tier instead of us. I'm not for one minute saying we had any rights to his signature and he obviously has his affections towards The Rangers Ltd FC but our offerings must have been very degrading to one of the 4 man short list for last seasons player of the year.

Fantastic ambition Hibernian FC.

Liam_Hibs
31-07-2012, 02:29 PM
This just goes to show the ridiculous and embarressing packages Petrie and Hibs offer. He was one of Fenlon's main targets and he chose the great unwashed and the 4th tier instead of us. I'm not for one minute saying we had any rights to his signature and he obviously has his affections towards The Rangers Ltd FC but our offerings must have been very degrading to one of the 4 man short list for last seasons player of the year.

Amazing. Just amazing.

Cameron1875
31-07-2012, 02:30 PM
Very disappointing. How do rangers have the money for any signings though? Surely if they want to keep the history of the oldco then they will be responsible for the debts of the oldco? Its unbelievable how they are allowed to sign shiels and black whilst they still owe Rapid Vienna £1 million +. :grr:

woodythehibee
31-07-2012, 02:36 PM

Incorrect. Hibs had been trying to get into contact with Deano for weeks but no response. After we did, it became known that he had no intention of returning to Hibs. Mainly because he said we were extremely bad last year, unorganised, no game plan etc... Money did not even come into it. He had a huge offer from Dubai but did not want to leave Scotland/UK. He's a Rangers fan being offered around 6k a week so for him at least, it was a no brainer.

Can't blame Petrie for this one!

Monts
31-07-2012, 02:38 PM

He was one of Pats main targets?

I dont beleive he ever came in for any kind of talks with hibs.

sbell1875
31-07-2012, 02:41 PM
The whole situation is disgusting.

Quite how they are being allowed to sign quality SPL players and pay substantially more than the SPL clubs due SOLELY to the state their demise has left the financial situation in the SPL makes me feel physically sick.

I hate them and I know hate is a strong word but the actions of the club, it's fans and now the people running the club are an absolute disgrace.

muirhousehibby
31-07-2012, 02:51 PM
Very disappointing. How do rangers have the money for any signings though? Surely if they want to keep the history of the oldco then they will be responsible for the debts of the oldco? Its unbelievable how they are allowed to sign shiels and black whilst they still owe Rapid Vienna £1 million +. :grr:

I'm not suprised at all even if he was on £2000 a week the 4 year deal would have swung it. Hibs would not offer anyone a 4 year deal at the moment.

How are Sevco doing it,well i think that anyone wanting to invest cash while they were in administration would be nuts as it would never be seen again. Holding onto your cash and investing it into the after they have been in liquidation they'd see Sevco use that cash as they are doing. Might be miles off but that's what i think might be going on.

A full ibrox for home games would also bring in alot of money too.

johnbc70
31-07-2012, 02:52 PM
Rangers might sell out Ibrox every home game, that's a crowd of 51,000 every 2 week's. Thats where the money is coming from. They need big crowds so will need to sign decent players. If they get 51,000 people every home game then £5 or £6K a week is perfectly affordable for them.

HibbyAndy
31-07-2012, 02:54 PM
Rangers might sell out Ibrox every home game, that's a crowd of 51,000 every 2 week's. Thats where the money is coming from. They need big crowds so will need to sign decent players. If they get 51,000 people every home game then £5 or £6K a week is perfectly affordable for them.

Ill eat my shight for a week if the bigots get anywhere near 51K for home games.

hibsmad
31-07-2012, 02:56 PM
Ill eat my shight for a week if the bigots get anywhere near 51K for home games.

Can't see that drawing the same crowd as the bath of beans forfeit.

HibbyAndy
31-07-2012, 03:01 PM
Can't see that drawing the same crowd as the bath of beans forfeit.

:greengrin

Hibiza
31-07-2012, 03:09 PM
So has he signed for Sevco (Scotland ) ltd aka "the rangers " formely glasgow rangers or not.

Onion
31-07-2012, 03:11 PM

Shields will still have a better chance of winning silverware with Son of Hun than with Hibs. Newco must be salivating at the the thought of getting a few SPL clubs in the LC and SC :rolleyes:

Just Alf
31-07-2012, 03:42 PM

Agree 100% ..... I was sure I saw in the rules that if a club had an overdue footballing debt then it was ineligable to sign/register any new players?

By Green's own admission they are the same club, its how they're bypassing the 3 years accounts rule so surely ALL rules should apply.

:banghead:

silverhibee
31-07-2012, 03:45 PM

Deano was never coming back to Hibs, and i don't think he was ever a main target for Fenlon, two players i know who were high on PF wish list was the guy from Falkirk who i think moved down South and the lad Jennings from Motherwell who i think is training with Coventry.

He is looking after himself and his future with his family, i would do the same if i had that chance to secure myself financially for the rest of my life.

blackpoolhibs
31-07-2012, 03:45 PM

They need 40000 at £200 a year just to break even, can i have a spoon too, thats too much sheite for one person?

Billy Whizz
31-07-2012, 03:48 PM
Disappointed in Deano, gone for the money rather than play a high level. Won't be getting a cheer from me the next time he comes to ER.
Hibs fans always gave him a great reception when he came back

silverhibee
31-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Disappointed in Deano, gone for the money rather than play a high level. Won't be getting a cheer from me the next time he comes to ER.
Hibs fans always gave him a great reception when he came back

Am going to throw a bib at him. :greengrin

The only thing that annoys me here is that newco are able to bring these players in on these kind of wages, but if a player gets offered that kind of money he would be silly to turn it down when he is happy and settled in Glasgow with his family.

How are newco able to pay all these signing on fees right now, where is the money coming from to pay for that right now.

jdships
31-07-2012, 04:12 PM
Incorrect. Hibs had been trying to get into contact with Deano for weeks but no response. After we did, it became known that he had no intention of returning to Hibs. Mainly because he said we were extremely bad last year, unorganised, no game plan etc... Money did not even come into it. He had a huge offer from Dubai but did not want to leave Scotland/UK. He's a Rangers fan being offered around 6k a week so for him at least, it was a no brainer.

Can't blame Petrie for this one!

Quote Bernz.
He was one of Pats main targets?

I dont beleive he ever came in for any kind of talks with hibs.

That is exactly as I have heard it from two people who are 'employed' at ER.
Shiels to the Huns was always going to be the end result . He had no intention of coming back to Hibs,

brog
31-07-2012, 04:17 PM
Am going to throw a bib at him. :greengrin

The only thing that annoys me here is that newco are able to bring these players in on these kind of wages, but if a player gets offered that kind of money he would be silly to turn it down when he is happy and settled in Glasgow with his family.

How are newco able to pay all these signing on fees right now, where is the money coming from to pay for that right now.

:top marks Yep & when is a signing embargo not an embargo? when it's made in Scotland of course! Like you I have some sympathy for Deano but how can this happen? It's ridiculous! On the other side it means Deano & Black will be 31 at least before Newco possibly get a chance to play in Europe again. essentially they've forfeited any chance of enhancing their careers for the dosh. Only possibility is Green hopes to cash in on them by selling in a season or so but I don't see that happening.
Slightly off track, all the players who left Oldco, eg Whittaker, Naismith etc, now seem to be playing for their new clubs. Did Green's legal challenge ever happen? I can't remember seeing anything bout it!

VickMackie
31-07-2012, 04:17 PM
Has there not been any moves made to force clubs to stick to wages to turnover rules. How can Sevco seriously afford to finance this.

I seriously don't know why people go on about this argument all the time. All it will do is keep the big clubs big and won't allow any new injection of cash into the game.

Man city and Chelsea may buy success but at least it makes things interesting.

Nando™
31-07-2012, 04:23 PM
I seriously don't know why people go on about this argument all the time. All it will do is keep the big clubs big and won't allow any new injection of cash into the game.

No it doesn't, it absolutely ruins the very essence of the word 'competition'. Football is being made a fool of by folk like Abramovich, Mansour, Romanov and Mileson.

Football is being ruined.

VickMackie
31-07-2012, 04:35 PM
No it doesn't, it absolutely ruins the very essence of the word 'competition'. Football is being made a fool of by folk like Abramovich, Mansour, Romanov and Mileson.

Football is being ruined.

Exactly. It's already too late due to the size of the big clubs and the only way to inject interest is to put big money into smaller clubs. It's impossible to challenge any other way.

Rangers and Celtic with a turnover of 40/50 million against hibs with an 8 million. Without changing the league or financial distribution a 65% turnover arguement is a pointless one.

It'll help stop clubs going bust but it certainly won't enhance competition.

The logistics don't work either. Rangers turnover some years was probably 50 million with CL and 35/40 without. Do they sack all players if they don't qualify?

neilmartinrocks
31-07-2012, 04:35 PM

I think the difference there is is Man City and chelski are buying with their owners money not the taxpayers (our) money.
Sevco shouldn't be allowed to spend a ****ing penny on anything until all the cash is paid back, especially the football debts they owe. (even the money the thieving *******s owe to the yams).

Dashing Bob S
31-07-2012, 04:41 PM

No, I think they know what they are doing. They realize that they would be able to romp through the Leagues without such personnel, but this is all about trying to win both diddy cups, and 'teaching Scottish football a lesson' that it can't do without the mighty (yawn) Rangers. As if anybody needs a lesson in footballing arithmetic (money = better players = success) these days. Above all they don't want be drawing Celtic (or St Johnstone) in the cups and being humiliated by them. A shoestring squad might get them out of division three, but 0-8 versus Dundee United at Ibrox in the 3rd round of the League Cup doesn't look good on the record books. Every LC & SC tie for Sevco will be their CL final from now on in.

To this end the actions of Shiels, Black etc makes perfect sense. Sad to say, but if Sevco are spending at this level, only Celtic could could offer them more medal opportunities for the duration of their contracts.

Nando™
31-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Exactly. It's already too late due to the size of the big clubs and the only way to inject interest is to put big money into smaller clubs. It's impossible to challenge any other way.

Rangers and Celtic with a turnover of 40/50 million against hibs with an 8 million. Without changing the league or financial distribution a 65% turnover arguement is a pointless one.

It'll help stop clubs going bust but it certainly won't enhance competition.

The logistics don't work either. Rangers turnover some years was probably 50 million with CL and 35/40 without. Do they sack all players if they don't qualify?

I'm not saying the percentage turnover idea would work, infact I'm not saying anything would work, but there has got to be another way that helps to protect clubs who are conducting their spending properly from these fake money-clubs being used as toys by these folk with a bit of money. In the next few years or decades, there is going to be a lot more clubs being run like this, and one day they're all going to end up dead when they have to fend for themselves again.

Admittedly I probably would care less if one of the fakes wasn't Hearts.

YehButNoBut
31-07-2012, 04:55 PM
I think the difference there is is Man City and chelski are buying with their owners money not the taxpayers (our) money.
Sevco shouldn't be allowed to spend a ****ing penny on anything until all the cash is paid back, especially the football debts they owe. (even the money the thieving *******s owe to the yams).

Did Hearts not get their money from the SFA, from the prize money due to Rangers.

neilmartinrocks
31-07-2012, 05:01 PM
Did Hearts not get their money from the SFA, from the prize money due to Rangers.

If they did i stand corrected but the point still stands.
(though that just tells me some one had to take money off them to pay their debts)

Baldy Foghorn
31-07-2012, 05:08 PM

I thought that was the case too.....

Only in Scotland does a transfer embargo start after the transfer window closes, allowing Derhun to plunder all and sundry.....Oldco leaves millions of pounds of debts in their wake, whilst Newco can pay bigger wages, making a mockery of Scottish football yet again......

NOLA
31-07-2012, 05:18 PM
good luck to deano, signing for his boyhood idols or something like that :wink: hope some 3rd division bruiser doesnt break his legs.

HibeeBigFly
31-07-2012, 05:34 PM
Even with deano and black a decent spl side should put 4 or 5 past them.

The_Todd
31-07-2012, 06:00 PM
Rangers are so afraid of a level playing field that they're signing SPL players to compete in division three. Have they already forgotten the lesson of signing players they cannot realistically afford?

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

johnbc70
31-07-2012, 06:03 PM

OK, I was probably being too optimistic with 51,000 but even at 50% of that they will still be the second largest supported club in Scotland by a long way and will get gate money that no other club except Celtic will get. Plus guys like Whittaker, Davies, Lafferty, McGregor who were taking home around £20K a week are off the wage bill. I think it is a disgrace that they can do this after shafting so many in the way they did, big test is what the crowds are like in December when they play the likes of Annan Athletic at home.

Bostonhibby
31-07-2012, 06:10 PM
Goodbye Dean, genuine thanks for the memories, enjoy the cash, with any luck you won't cross paths with Hibs again.

Ozyhibby
31-07-2012, 06:28 PM
I doubt that Sheils will ever get the chance to play against Hibs so I really don't care much who he signs for. Good luck to him.

Baldy Foghorn
31-07-2012, 07:06 PM
Mercenary....Any player from an SPL club going to Division 3, to play against part time players/teams, needs their head examined.....Oh wait, its all about the money......Money is king

Borderhibbie76
31-07-2012, 07:09 PM
Hopefully this will spell the end of some fellow hibbies " love in " with deano! Enjoy the 3rd division Dean, great ambition shown there

coco22
31-07-2012, 08:17 PM
Regardless of the financial benefits, the willingness of really decent players (love or hate them) to drop to that level is honking. Total loss of respect for any that take that path, different if on the up from 1st div to prem but no ambition. Pricks

cocopops1875
31-07-2012, 08:18 PM
Even with deano and black a decent spl side should put 4 or 5 past them.

Course they should:spammy:

HibsMax
31-07-2012, 08:21 PM

Admins - be sure and save this post / thread somewhere...just in case. :wink:

cocopops1875
31-07-2012, 08:22 PM
Rangers are so afraid of a level playing field that they're signing SPL players to compete in division three. Have they already forgotten the lesson of signing players they cannot realistically afford?

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

It looks that way on paper but my take is, SPL2 will happen next season The sevco 5088 Rangers will be invited to join, they will find themselves in a situation where they cant sign anyone then to make sure they come up at the 1st time of asking to the SPL so they actually have to make these signings now

Baldy Foghorn
31-07-2012, 08:27 PM
It looks that way on paper but my take is, SPL2 will happen next season The sevco 5088 Rangers will be invited to join, they will find themselves in a situation where they cant sign anyone then to make sure they come up at the 1st time of asking to the SPL so they actually have to make these signings now

Regan appeared on STV news tonight, and said SPL2 won't happen.....Watch this space, as a u-turn would not surprise me......

BarneyK
31-07-2012, 08:27 PM

I think reconstruction will happen and they will be in the 2nd tier "on merit" - having been promoted from SPL3 - two top leagues of 16 gets them into the 2nd tier via SFL promotion.

BarneyK
31-07-2012, 08:28 PM
Regan appeared on STV news tonight, and said SPL2 won't happen.....Watch this space, as a u-turn would not surprise me......

Just means they won't call it SPL2 imo

Northernhibee
31-07-2012, 08:31 PM
good luck to deano, signing for his boyhood idols or something like that :wink: hope some 3rd division bruiser doesnt break his legs.

Also hoping a bruiser doesn't dislocate Ian Black's jaw like he tried to do to Sparky. :agree:

The Falcon
31-07-2012, 08:32 PM
Mercenary....Any player from an SPL club going to Division 3, to play against part time players/teams, needs their head examined.....Oh wait, its all about the money......Money is king

They all are BF, thats the reality. Dosent matter who they supported. We blame others when it happens to us (usually Rod gets it) but the reality is players go where they are being paid, sometimes tempered with opportunity. Good Hibbies (Katy, Deeks, Nid) have tread the same path. The only thing for certain is that there will be more.

cocopops1875
31-07-2012, 08:33 PM
I think reconstruction will happen and they will be in the 2nd tier "on merit" - having been promoted from SPL3 - two top leagues of 16 gets them into the 2nd tier via SFL promotion.

I actually dont understand your post SPL3? winning the 3rd Div would not get them into SPL2 on merit as that would mean they skip a division :agree: Ps not taking the mick just didnt get what you were saying

Baldy Foghorn
31-07-2012, 08:37 PM
They all are BF, thats the reality. Dosent matter who they supported. We blame others when it happens to us (usually Rod gets it) but the reality is players go where they are being paid, sometimes tempered with opportunity. Good Hibbies (Katy, Deeks, Nid) have tread the same path. The only thing for certain is that there will be more.

Very true.......

Having plundered players from the SPL for decades, it wont change now, just because of what division they currently play in......

cocopops1875
31-07-2012, 08:43 PM
Very true.......

Having plundered players from the SPL for decades, it wont change now, just because of what division they currently play in......

As i said earlier mate "Rangers FC in Buying Titles Shocker":greengrin

Sir David Gray
31-07-2012, 10:38 PM
I would have been delighted to have had him back for this season but, like Ian Black, he would have had offers from the SPL and maybe even at a decent level in England and yet he's chosen to play in the Scottish 3rd division.

I could just about get my head around his decision if he was in a similar boat to Lee McCulloch and he was approaching his mid 30s and nearing the end of his career. However Shiels is only 27 years old and should be at the peak of his career right now.

It really boils down to greed basically, that is the size of the matter as Rangers are obviously paying him a handsome wage and he's clearly got absolutely no ambition either or he wouldn't be willing to waste at least 3 years of his career in the lower leagues of Scotland.

With that kind of mindset, I'm glad he didn't sign for us and it appears that we're well rid of him.

With the signing of players such as Shiels and Black, it'll just make every defeat that they get over the next few years even funnier.

LeighLoyal
31-07-2012, 11:24 PM
It does make a complete mockery of Scottish football that Sevco can sign anyone, but the fact they're going to suck up several players that would/should be in the spl to cover their zombie asses for the two windows the useless SFA have banned them on is staggering. It's like tipping off a criminal that the police are building a case so they can escape the scene of the crime. So far they have had ZERO punishment from the governing body for bringing the game into disrepute.

silverhibee
01-08-2012, 12:33 AM

So if you had the chance to set your family up for life financially by taking a job in not the best of work place you wouldn't take it. I would.

No beef with the guy moving to newco, do have a beef that newco are able to sign players though.

muirhousehibby
01-08-2012, 12:50 AM
So if you had the chance to set your family up for life financially by taking a job in not the best of work place you wouldn't take it. I would.

No beef with the guy moving to newco, do have a beef that newco are able to sign players though.

For me thats the problem right there why put a ban in for Rangers knowing that all they had to do was sign folk on 3/4 year deals. Punishment given. aye right then......

Money is football 3rd divison or not ,easy cash to be made in lower leagues.

Hibs ain't get players as they don't pay enough compared to others its as simply as that.

Deano has done what he felt he needed to do, can't argue with that...

ALF TUPPER
01-08-2012, 05:50 AM
No ambition Shiels. Enjoy Div3 with Newco biggot boys.

chrisski33
01-08-2012, 08:38 AM

Exactly how i feel

big-mo
01-08-2012, 08:56 AM
From the word that is going around regards what he is being paid, Hibs recently offered him £2k p/w, The New Team are paying him £7k p/w, the same as Black. If you were in their shoes and any other teams were probability only offering one year contracts but The New Current Buns give you a 4 or 5 year deal, and with a wink and a nod that they will be back in top flight new season, what would you do? This is all allied to the fact that few footballers seam to have the same view on what has been going on with the Old Rangers and how they should have been dealt with as opposed to the views of the vast majority of Scottish football fans.

marinello59
01-08-2012, 09:04 AM
From the word that is going around regards what he is being paid, Hibs recently offered him £2k p/w, The New Team are paying him £7k p/w, the same as Black. If you were in their shoes and any other teams were probability only offering one year contracts but The New Current Buns give you a 4 or 5 year deal, and with a wink and a nod that they will be back in top flight new season, what would you do? This is all allied to the fact that few footballers seam to have the same view on what has been going on with the Old Rangers and how they should have been dealt with as opposed to the views of the vast majority of Scottish football fans.

Totally understandable. It's their profession, seeing one of the major employers go bust is always worrying, no matter what business you are in. Given that they provide an opportunity for our better players, if they wish, to remain in Scotland whilst being paid similar amounts to what they could earn down South it's obvious why the players would see things differently from the fans.

number9dream
01-08-2012, 09:33 AM
If Black and Shiels are getting paid anything near 6/7k a week to play in Division 3, then the people running new Rangers are just as daft and irresponsible as the previous regimes.
Now Hearts are gubbed, no SPL club outside of Celtic is offering more than £1500, maybe 2k at a stretch.
Even with the embargo, Rangers could bring in a handful of seasoned geezers on £500 a week and scoosh Divs 3 & 2.
If they want to flex their muscles and take SPL players, then why not pay the likes of Black & Shiels just a little over 2k? It's not like Championship clubs have been chasing them.
Any Rangers staff member that loses his/her job in the coming months is entitled to feel angry - this does no apply to Sandy Jardine (who still draws a wage for his ambassadorial role!!!)
Maybe the figures have been exaggerated but Craig Beattie appears to be telling anyone who will listen that Black & Shiels are making a fortune while he has been offered a measly sum. Diddums...

Andy74
01-08-2012, 09:34 AM
Totally understandable. It's their profession, seeing one of the major employers go bust is always worrying, no matter what business you are in. Given that they provide an opportunity for our better players, if they wish, to remain in Scotland whilst being paid similar amounts to what they could earn down South it's obvious why the players would see things differently from the fans.

I see it as quite similar as to why people will still take a job at RBS for example.

Regardless of perceptions from the outside and the damage that's been done to the Company that has affected a lot of others and brings with it a pubic perception, it is still a big company in both a local and national sense.

It still pays well, working conditions are excellent and many people see it is a challenge to get the Company back to where it was and have some sense of pride about that.

For footballers that are also Rangers fans I can certainly see why they would go there and it's not all about money.

Baldy Foghorn
01-08-2012, 09:35 AM

The old football vs rest of working population debate......Poles apart, comparisons unrealistic.....

Steve-O
01-08-2012, 10:40 AM

I think he could've set his family up pretty nicely with a wage from elsewhere, while still playing at a decent level and actually challenging himself. Instead he's playing in a part-time league. Taking the money to go to division 3 is sheer greed.

Surely ambition has to come into play SOMEWHERE? :confused:

marinello59
01-08-2012, 10:47 AM
I think he could've set his family up pretty nicely with a wage from elsewhere, while still playing at a decent level and actually challenging himself. Instead he's playing in a part-time league. Taking the money to go to division 3 is sheer greed.

Surely ambition has to come into play SOMEWHERE? :confused:

He will be playing for one of the biggest clubs in scotland in front of big crowds every other week. Himself and Black etc will be seen as saviours by their fans if/when they climb up through the leagues and back in to the SPL. Don't dismiss the League and Scottish Cup as a chance for them to win serious silverware as well. Greed? He has a lucrative four year deal, he would have been stupid to turn that down.

Steve-O
01-08-2012, 11:01 AM
He will be playing for one of the biggest clubs in scotland in front of big crowds every other week. Himself and Black etc will be seen as saviours by their fans if/when they climb up through the leagues and back in to the SPL. Don't dismiss the League and Scottish Cup as a chance for them to win serious silverware as well. Greed? He has a lucrative four year deal, he would have been stupid to turn that down.

3500 season tickets sold apparently, are you sure the crowds are going to be so big?

The saviours Shiels and Black will be punted as soon as they even reach the SPL. They should be embarrassed - they weren't wanted when Rangers were in the SPL but now they are playing against plumbers and fishermen every week they are big stars. Shameful.

I am not going to argue further so we'll agree to disagree now :agree:

marinello59
01-08-2012, 11:08 AM
3500 season tickets sold apparently, are you sure the crowds are going to be so big?

The saviours Shiels and Black will be punted as soon as they even reach the SPL. They should be embarrassed - they weren't wanted when Rangers were in the SPL but now they are playing against plumbers and fishermen every week they are big stars. Shameful.

Steve-O
01-08-2012, 11:09 AM

Bedtime in NZ is the real reason :greengrin

Judas Iscariot
01-08-2012, 11:11 AM

Why?

I wouldn't be!

The deals both Black & Shiels signed will set them up for life..

Let's see, sign for SPL Club for 1k max a week on a 2-3 year deal or sign for Newco on 7k a week for 4 years..

Would you turn that down? I wouldn't...

As Silver says the fact Newco are in a postition to sign players and offer them wages like that is the issue here, not a guy looking out for his & his families interests..

scoopyboy
01-08-2012, 11:16 AM

Black is getting nowhere near 7k a week, more like half of that.

He would have been on 7k if they were in the 1st.

I would imagine Shiels would be on the same.

Cropley10
01-08-2012, 01:22 PM
Black is getting nowhere near 7k a week, more like half of that.

He would have been on 7k if they were in the 1st.

I would imagine Shiels would be on the same.

What a squalid and sordid business this is.

Firstly, on what basis do either of these players think the Sevco business model is going to succeed?? Sure it looks good, in fact it almost looks too good to be true. Lengthy deal, lots of money, weak opposition, guaranteed trophies.

But they're paying OF wages in Div 3 yet they have a very compromised income - no-one needs to buy a ST, they can just walk up, there's no OF games so why buy one. Ally McCoist has still not given his backing to Green and still no one knows who owns Ibrox or Murray Park.

They've avoided the signing ban AND then they're buying players who are top players for the SPL (ex Celtc) to compete and win Div 3. Sledgehammer to crack a nut, or signs that a revamped SPL/SPL2 is well on the cards and newco will be back in the top flight after a year?

Players like Black and Sheils saying they can't wait to get on with it and wanted to join McCoist, what a crock of ****. McCoist is a failure as a manager, and these players are keen to play against plumbers and fishermen every week. Aye right.

ancient hibee
01-08-2012, 03:03 PM
I've complete contempt for Black and Shiels-not because they've opted to go for top dollar-that's the game they're in-but because of the c**p they've spouted in the papers about why they've signed.They should have told the truth -that it's the easiest seven grand a week they will ever get in their lives.

cocopops1875
02-08-2012, 05:29 AM
If Black and Shiels are getting paid anything near 6/7k a week to play in Division 3, then the people running new Rangers are just as daft and irresponsible as the previous regimes.
Now Hearts are gubbed, no SPL club outside of Celtic is offering more than £1500, maybe 2k at a stretch.
Even with the embargo, Rangers could bring in a handful of seasoned geezers on £500 a week and scoosh Divs 3 & 2.
If they want to flex their muscles and take SPL players, then why not pay the likes of Black & Shiels just a little over 2k? It's not like Championship clubs have been chasing them.
Any Rangers staff member that loses his/her job in the coming months is entitled to feel angry - this does no apply to Sandy Jardine (who still draws a wage for his ambassadorial role!!!)
Maybe the figures have been exaggerated but Craig Beattie appears to be telling anyone who will listen that Black & Shiels are making a fortune while he has been offered a measly sum. Diddums...
the issue is in my opinion they need the squad to "scoosh" SPL2 next season, your 500 quid a week boys won't do that. What did we spend to get out of the 1st div ?

jacomo
02-08-2012, 11:42 AM
I've complete contempt for Black and Shiels-not because they've opted to go for top dollar-that's the game they're in-but because of the c**p they've spouted in the papers about why they've signed.They should have told the truth -that it's the easiest seven grand a week they will ever get in their lives.

Agreed... Black's nonsense that he joined Sevo coz he "wanted to win things" is just embarrassing.

Unless he really did dream of the SFL league trophy when he was a boy.