PDA

View Full Version : Eoin Doyle

ManBearPig
30-07-2012, 09:18 PM
Just looking to see what others think of him. I'm kind of torn leading up to and against dunfermline last season I thought I'd seen dawning of a decent forward then in cup final and against Huddersfield I've lost count of how many times he gave the ball away cheaply or looked scared when on the ball.

HibbyAndy
30-07-2012, 09:19 PM
Not for me.

3pm
30-07-2012, 09:22 PM
The Cup Final? How you can judge him on that is beyond me.

That being said, if they had all put in the same effort as him, we'd never have been skelped 5-1.

IWasThere2016
30-07-2012, 09:23 PM
Up front in a two but not wide.

Jonnyboy
Jeezo, why don't we just start an individual thread for each of our players and then all the experts can tell us why they are ******

Seriously hacked off with all this slagging of our own players :grr:

Capt Mainwaring
Think he needs to play more central and as a partner for Griffiths, not stuck out on the left.

I'd stick with him but we do need to sign another forward to give us more options up front

marinello59
30-07-2012, 09:24 PM
Jeezo, why don't we just start an individual thread for each of our players and then all the experts can tell us why they are ******

Seriously hacked opff with all this slagging of our own players :grr:

You are not the only only one.

SouthMoroccoStu
30-07-2012, 09:25 PM
He s still young and adjusting to life in Scotland (away from his home) band the Scottish game.

Let's get behind him and show our support - I think the lad will come good

ManBearPig
30-07-2012, 09:26 PM

I didn't slag him off so get of your high horse!! Was asking for opinion that's what the board is for I haven't seen too much and if you read post I actually said I thought he looked good

ManBearPig
30-07-2012, 09:27 PM
Think he needs to play more central and as a partner for Griffiths, not stuck out on the left.

I'd stick with him but we do need to sign another forward to give us more options up front

I agree I saw him as replacement for O'Connor as it was clear he was leaving

Jonnyboy
30-07-2012, 09:27 PM
I didn't slag him off so get of your high horse!! Was asking for opinion that's what the board is for I haven't seen too much and if you read post I actually said I thought he looked good

Apologies. My tirade wasn't really aimed at you :aok:

3pm
30-07-2012, 09:28 PM

Oh come on, so unfair! There has been nothing on Williams, Clancy, McPake or Cairney....yet!

Heisenberg
30-07-2012, 09:28 PM
He's got good movement and some nice touches about him. Would like to see him up top but don't think that'll happen with PF's 4-2-3-1 formation

Jonnyboy
30-07-2012, 09:29 PM
Oh come on, so unfair! There has been nothing on Williams, Clancy, McPake or Cairney....yet!

Give it time :wink:

FFS we even slag players rumoured to be joining us :greengrin

ManBearPig
30-07-2012, 09:30 PM
Apologies. My tirade wasn't really aimed at you :aok:

Yeah I actually like the guy seems to give a lot just to me lacks confidence but I wasn't at east fife game or saw any of the tour and wondered how he got on.

Jonnyboy
30-07-2012, 09:31 PM
Yeah I actually like the guy seems to give a lot just to me lacks confidence but I wasn't at east fife game or saw any of the tour and wondered how he got on.

FWIW I think he'll do ok for us, given the right strike partner and the chance of a run in the team :agree:

Pretty Boy
30-07-2012, 09:31 PM

This.

Pain in the erse. We're relegated before a balls been kicked according to folk on here.

ManBearPig
30-07-2012, 09:40 PM
This.

Pain in the erse. We're relegated before a balls been kicked according to folk on here.

Who said we were relegated?!! Am I missing a private joke or can't people just talk about players anymore? Positive talk is encouraged I believe.

Pretty Boy
30-07-2012, 09:43 PM
Who said we were relegated?!! Am I missing a private joke or can't people just talk about players anymore? Positive talk is encouraged I believe.

Sorry mate wasn't aimed at you, not doubting you started the thread for the right reasons.

It just seems that any thread about any of our players quickly descends into an.excuse to have a go at them or the club very quickly these days.

Scouse Hibee
30-07-2012, 09:47 PM
Sorry mate wasn't aimed at you, not doubting you started the thread for the right reasons.

It just seems that any thread about any of our players quickly descends into an.excuse to have a go at them or the club very quickly these days.

To be fair most of them have done **** all so far to merit any praise.:greengrin

I get your point though.

HibbyAndy
30-07-2012, 09:49 PM
This.

To be fair, I cant recall one poster on here tipping us for relegation?.

hibeefan95
30-07-2012, 09:51 PM
Personally, I like Doyle. I think there's more to come from him. The Dunfermline game showed me that he could be a decent player. He showed good touches in that game, and got into a lot of good attacking positions. I think, and hope, he'll have a good season.

SneakersO'Toole
30-07-2012, 09:53 PM
Problem we have is he won't be played up front in a 2 as Fenlon will persist with 4-5-1.

This will lead to the .net fury brigade throwing daggers before you know it as he won't cut it stuck out wide IMO.

blackpoolhibs
30-07-2012, 09:57 PM
I think he has decent movement and will work hard, but is not a natural finisher and is not a great partner in a 2 up front with Griffiths. He might oust Griffiths if we get a decent centre forward who can actually hold the ball up well, we have not had one since Killen.

Griffiths and Doyle in my opinion need that type of player, both are not the best at leading the line, i'd imagine if the rumour is right and Miller signs, its one of Doyle and Griffiths who will partner him. My money would be on Griffiths, and it would be up to Doyle to play his way into the side?

Jonnyboy
30-07-2012, 10:01 PM
I think he has decent movement and will work hard, but is not a natural finisher and is not a great partner in a 2 up front with Griffiths. He might oust Griffiths if we get a decent centre forward who can actually hold the ball up well, we have not had one since Killen.

Griffiths and Doyle in my opinion need that type of player, both are not the best at leading the line, i'd imagine if the rumour is right and Miller signs, its one of Doyle and Griffiths who will partner him. My money would be on Griffiths, and it would be up to Doyle to play his way into the side?

Pretty much agree with all of that Gary. Shame that some have already decided Miller ain't good enough :wink:

easty
30-07-2012, 10:02 PM
I'm yet to be really convinced, but this is a big season for him and I hope he does well, certainly wouldn't write him off based on what we've seen so far. Does look to have a good first touch, but doesn't seem too sure what to do with it once he's got it. There are players in our squad who I don't think are good enough and would be happy to see leave, but he's not one of them.

blackpoolhibs
30-07-2012, 10:07 PM
Pretty much agree with all of that Gary. Shame that some have already decided Miller ain't good enough :wink:

Its been a long time since i have seen him play John, i hope if he signs he can still cut it in the SPL, as we need in my opinion that type of player? :dunno:

LeighLoyal
30-07-2012, 10:07 PM
Hasn't convinced me, but who knows.

Jonnyboy
30-07-2012, 10:09 PM
Its been a long time since i have seen him play John, i hope if he signs he can still cut it in the SPL, as we need in my opinion that type of player? :dunno:

Wasn't meaning you specifically Gary :greengrin

It's a Miller type we need for sure. He's got a decent SPL pedigree and has scored goals wherever he's played so those factors should weigh in his favour. Like you, I've not seen him in a while but the bottom line really is his type even if not specifically him :agree:

Sas_The_Hibby
30-07-2012, 10:16 PM
Give it time :wink:

FFS we even slag players rumoured to be joining us :greengrin

Ian Black and Alan Maybury for example! :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
30-07-2012, 10:16 PM
Wasn't meaning you specifically Gary :greengrin

It's a Miller type we need for sure. He's got a decent SPL pedigree and has scored goals wherever he's played so those factors should weigh in his favour. Like you, I've not seen him in a while but the bottom line really is his type even if not specifically him :agree:

:agree: Even though O'Connor scored a few goals, you never thought for one moment he could trap a bag of cement and bring the midfield into play. Our forwards recently have been very very selfish types, not in itself a bad thing, but they need to also be team players too.

Killen was the last one who did both, and it just helps the team get up the park so much easier when the ball sticks, rather than seeing our midfield try and support, but have to about turn all the time when they have either miss controlled the ball, or ran into a brick wall and lost the ball cheaply again.

Jonnyboy
30-07-2012, 10:19 PM
:agree: Even though O'Connor scored a few goals, you never thought for one moment he could trap a bag of cement and bring the midfield into play. Our forwards recently have been very very selfish types, not in itself a bad thing, but they need to also be team players too.

Killen was the last one who did both, and it just helps the team get up the park so much easier when the ball sticks, rather than seeing our midfield try and support, but have to about turn all the time when they have either miss controlled the ball, or ran into a brick wall and lost the ball cheaply again.

:agree: My memories of Miller (after stripping out all the stuff connected with his diving) are that he plays the target man role well; holds the ball up for others to join in and knows where the goals are. As you say, not had that since the Kiwi defected

blackpoolhibs
30-07-2012, 10:22 PM
:agree: My memories of Miller (after stripping out all the stuff connected with his diving) are that he plays the target man role well; holds the ball up for others to join in and knows where the goals are. As you say, not had that since the Kiwi defected

:agree: If he can do what he did before, he will be an asset if he signs.

Billy McKirdy
30-07-2012, 10:24 PM
My own opinion is he is actually a very good player in a below average team, with much better players around him, he can be a force to be reckoned with in the SPL (which lets face it, isn't the best league in the world), give the boy a chance to settle in and get a decent run in the side, hopefully Fenlon has an plan and a few new faces to change this team for the better :wink:, if so, he'll do good :thumbsup:

darwenhibby
30-07-2012, 10:31 PM
My own opinion is he is actually a very good player in a below average team, with much better players around him, he can be a force to be reckoned with in the SPL (which lets face it, isn't the best league in the world), give the boy a chance to settle in and get a decent run in the side, hopefully Fenlon has an plan and a few new faces to change this team for the better :wink:, if so, he'll do good :thumbsup:
Think he can be the new keith! And he never played with a big target man. Jackson nor Evans! The right service he'll be Aw Wright!!

Fergus52
30-07-2012, 11:09 PM
I do beleive he would be better as part of a front 2, however he scored most of his goals at sligo playing on the left side of a 4-2-3-1.

Vault Boy
30-07-2012, 11:41 PM
As relevant as it gets I suppose, he's good player and will prove it in the coming season IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R1D2I_VbiM&feature=g-user-u (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R1D2I_VbiM&feature=g-user-u)

R'Albin
31-07-2012, 12:19 AM
Jury is definitely still out. He's shown signs of being a decent player and has very good movement. PF seems to like him anyway which is the main thing!

McPake6
31-07-2012, 12:30 AM
Hasn't proven himself in pre-season. How much rather play Caldwell

Pedantic_Hibee
31-07-2012, 01:04 AM
Eoin Doyle is a better footballer than anyone who is reading this post. Apart from you Maradona, you're magic wee man. The end

jimmy-adjovi
31-07-2012, 01:50 AM
He's *****

sbell1875
31-07-2012, 07:15 AM
Just looking to see what others think of him. I'm kind of torn leading up to and against dunfermline last season I thought I'd seen dawning of a decent forward then in cup final and against Huddersfield I've lost count of how many times he gave the ball away cheaply or looked scared when on the ball.

I like him. He is still young and really hasn't featured too much. He did miss a sitter at St. Mirren last season but then against Dunfermline he was faultless and untouchable.

He did say in the paper at the weekend this is his most important season and he has something to prove do I hop he does.

Elephant Stone
31-07-2012, 08:17 AM
I think he's got potential but I don't expect him to pluck goals out of the air like O'Connor did last year. He'll need decent service and a decent partner I think, O'Connor managed quite a few solo efforts last year and I don't see Doyle grabbing as many unless he gets some help. If the strikers are going to be isolated from the midfield and are expected to chase long balls I think he'll struggle- which isn't his fault. If we can get another couple of midfielders, we play the right way and he strikes up a good partnership with Griffiths I reckon he can be a decent player for us.

Keith_M
31-07-2012, 08:23 AM
FWIW I think he'll do ok for us, given the right strike partner and the chance of a run in the team :agree:

Happy Clapper!

:wink:

goosefat
31-07-2012, 08:35 AM
I do beleive he would be better as part of a front 2, however he scored most of his goals at sligo playing on the left side of a 4-2-3-1.

I Agree.

Hopefully a partnership with him and either Griffiths or Caldwell will work out. If we're going to play, for example, a single man up front for away games then I don't think he's really the man for that job. His spell out wide against Huddersfield was interesting. He's got a good touch, decent vision and can pass the ball well. I can understand why PF was looking at that. Maybe we could try Griffiths & Caldwell up front with Doyle just behind and on the outside to feed in balls from just in front of the midfield. I know that a three man attack would probably mean sacrificing one of the midfield but, given the lack of creativity we have in that area right now, it might not be such a bad thing.

Northernhibee
31-07-2012, 08:49 AM

:agree:

If only we put this effort into supporting our team and talking down the opposition.

Stevo1875
31-07-2012, 08:58 AM

If only we put this effort into supporting our team and talking down the opposition.

too many fans expect us to be second in the league and not happy with a team that will drop points regularly, whether they are making progress or not. until we have the right players and staff in place to help talented youngsters make a successful transition like more successful teams in the league, we can only expect to beat teams that are really struggling. if we do get the right blend of good experienced players and youngsters like crawford get the support the need, it will still be a few seasons before things get better.

jacomo
31-07-2012, 09:02 AM
Is there a reason why Doyle can't play as the striker and Griffiths wide left?

LG is only 21, he should still be learning the game, I don't see why he couldn't play as a winger.

Phil MaGlass
31-07-2012, 09:02 AM
I Agree.

Hopefully a partnership with him and either Griffiths or Caldwell will work out. If we're going to play, for example, a single man up front for away games then I don't think he's really the man for that job. His spell out wide against Huddersfield was interesting. He's got a good touch, decent vision and can pass the ball well. I can understand why PF was looking at that. Maybe we could try Griffiths & Caldwell up front with Doyle just behind and on the outside to feed in balls from just in front of the midfield. I know that a three man attack would probably mean sacrificing one of the midfield but, given the lack of creativity we have in that area right now, it might not be such a bad thing.

thats what I was thinking, great when someone says it all for you.

blackpoolhibs
31-07-2012, 09:13 AM

LG is only 21, he should still be learning the game, I don't see why he couldn't play as a winger.

I think there is, he's not strong enough to play up front on his own, neither is Griffiths in my opinion. Both could play off a good target man, but are not target men themselves.

Captain Trips
31-07-2012, 10:47 AM
This.

And that is there opinion just like folk thinking we will be 5th or2nd without a ball being kicked why is that more valid?

The team we had we managed to get rid of plenty of dross but we have not made nearly enough changes IMO to justify why I in any case would think we should finish higher than 11th.

McPake and Griffiths did well but were let down with those about them and I really do not see any real uplift in that team to think we will not be involved in a relegation battle. 5/6 more players needed.

So I will say it Hibs will be in trouble this season.

weehibee19
31-07-2012, 11:01 AM
I think if we don't sign this Watford LW/ST we should play him LW he's fast and puts in some good balls and I think thats the position he played for Sligo Rovers.

PeterboroHibee
31-07-2012, 11:23 AM

Griffiths scored more goals than him last season, surely better having him up top? Also, with Griffiths as the main striker, theres less of a need to have an out and out winger as it would be quite difficult to actually hit Griffiths (as opposed to a big target man). Doyle will work hard out there, both going forward and defending, and can cut inside to shoot.

I like Doyle, and think he will be a good player for Hibs (if he gets a chance from the fans...). He will still be getting used to the league, but theres games where hes shown signs of being a decent player.

Captain Trips
31-07-2012, 11:28 AM
Griffiths scored more goals than him last season, surely better having him up top? Also, with Griffiths as the main striker, theres less of a need to have an out and out winger as it would be quite difficult to actually hit Griffiths (as opposed to a big target man). Doyle will work hard out there, both going forward and defending, and can cut inside to shoot.

I like Doyle, and think he will be a good player for Hibs (if he gets a chance from the fans...). He will still be getting used to the league, but theres games where hes shown signs of being a decent player.

What about getting a chance from his own manager first? The fans had nowt to do with him being on bench did they?

Northernhibee
31-07-2012, 08:20 PM
He's *****

Excellent point, eloquently put. :hmmm:

Next time you have a brainfart about a player, please let us know.

jacomo
31-07-2012, 11:09 PM
I think there is, he's not strong enough to play up front on his own, neither is Griffiths in my opinion. Both could play off a good target man, but are not target men themselves.

No, neither is a target man, but perhaps we don't need to play a big guy up front with his back to goal all the time, trying to win the percentages.

LG and Doyle are both pretty mobile. If we got the ball down and played through midfield, the two of them could cause defenders a few problems... oh, wait a minute, I think I see the flaw in this plan. :wink:

Hibs On Tour
01-08-2012, 09:15 AM

Likewise, when I first saw the lad I thought he looked like he had a decent first touch, some skill and at the time looked more threatening than our other strikers. I reckon with time, support and being played centrally in a front two will come good for us...

goosefat
01-08-2012, 09:31 AM

:tsk tsk:

Now, now. This is neither the time nor the place for sensible and thought-out comments. Remember where you are and who you support.

number9dream
01-08-2012, 09:47 AM
No, neither is a target man, but perhaps we don't need to play a big guy up front with his back to goal all the time, trying to win the percentages.

LG and Doyle are both pretty mobile. If we got the ball down and played through midfield, the two of them could cause defenders a few problems... oh, wait a minute, I think I see the flaw in this plan. :wink:

Nail. On. Head.
I could list lots of teams that don't go for the primative big man up top style, Celtic in this country, but they all have good midfields to cut open opponents...

Doyle has had one good game against Dunfermline. Bit of a worry that he hasn't shown up too well in pre-season but worth a run in the team surely. He's versatile and sometimes that can count against a player who gets moved all over the park.

blackpoolhibs
01-08-2012, 10:45 AM

:agree: With this midfield, there's not a hope in hells chance they can unlock defences with passes, it looks to me with this lot, add a decent centre forward to it, with a bit of presence, then the percentage game looks a little easier.

If the ball can stick up front, then the whole team can move up the park better as a unit, and there's not huge gaps between the back 4 and the forwards?

Leighonel
01-08-2012, 11:16 AM
He's *****

Brilliant.

I'm just guessing but is the starred out word 'great'?

I think he is good but he hasn't really shown he is a lone striker. He tends to run into wide positions leaving no threat in the box and he always tries to run in behind, rather than holding the ball, leaving no focal for the rest of the attack to join him. I do think he would be good next to someone, Caldwell would be the best parter, from the current squad.

ahibby
02-08-2012, 02:06 PM
As some others have alluded to, I too tend to wrongly judge centre forwards/attackers by their size. When I think about it, it's an absurd thing to do. For me the jury is still out on him. He hasn't proved himself yet in the SPL and so some will have their doubts. I think he has shown signs of being a decent footballer but the big question is can he improve on the finishing side of things presuming he is supplied. I am concerned that from the midfield forward we are a bit lightweight. However, like age, if your good enough then size shouldn't matter.