PDA

View Full Version : Kerr and Maybury

hibby rae
29-07-2012, 10:08 AM
I missed the game yesterday as I was working but, in a nutshell, how did they do? Worth signing?

danhibees1875
29-07-2012, 10:43 AM
I missed the game yesterday as I was working but, in a nutshell, how did they do? Worth signing?

Solid enough, improvements on what we currently have. Maybury/another LB/another CB is probably a requirement to have a back 4 of Clancy, McPake, Hanlon, new guy.

Before the season starts I think we would be doing well if we brought in Maybury, Kerr and a big proper striker (Sheridan?). I also reckon that's not too unrealistic either.

erin go bragh
29-07-2012, 11:01 AM
Solid enough, improvements on what we currently have. Maybury/another LB/another CB is probably a requirement to have a back 4 of Clancy, McPake, Hanlon, new guy.

Before the season starts I think we would be doing well if we brought in Maybury, Kerr and a big proper striker (Sheridan?). I also reckon that's not too unrealistic either.

Still feel we need a creative midfielder and a winger :cb

ggtth

Spike Mandela
29-07-2012, 11:14 AM
Kerr offers us nothing we don't already have in Stevenson and Claros. Boring, uninspiring, uncreative, no goal threat but maybe a trier. Do we really need 3 of them?

rcarter1
29-07-2012, 11:22 AM
Kerr offers us nothing we don't already have in Stevenson and Claros. Boring, uninspiring, uncreative, no goal threat but maybe a trier. Do we really need 3 of them?

I agree that Kerr on that performance did not impress, particularly from a passing point of view. Disagree about Claros - he has his downsides, but I thought he was pretty positive and creative yesterday. I was very encouraged by Cairney however, and Sproule's goal encourage me that he will have his moments too.

Griffiths seemed to have screwed the nut too, and was making an effort to build relationship with fans.

All in all after a deeply scary start yesterday was moderately encouraging. :flag:

hibby rae
29-07-2012, 11:24 AM
Where's Pat McGinlay when you need him?!

rcarter1
29-07-2012, 11:25 AM
Where's Pat McGinlay when you need him?!

If only!!!

GordonHFC
29-07-2012, 11:27 AM

I think you are right but will find that Claros will be gone by January.

delbert
29-07-2012, 11:49 AM
I think you are right but will find that Claros will be gone by January.
Kerr was quite simply dreadful yesterday, never found a team mate with a forward pass when he came on and offered us absolutely nothing. All he did was pick up a few passes and knock the ball backwards to a defender, any time he tried to bring a forward into the game, he gave away possession, not what we need at all and a complete waste of a wage.

Maybury would bring us experience and solidity in an area where we need it, I' happily take him on for a season. The big plus yesterday was Cairney, the fact he can actually make good passes stuck out like a sore thumb, and although quite stocky, he is mobile and willing to take opposition players on, a couple more like him would do nicely. Williams looked solid, no chance with either goal and is certainly vocal in organizing at the back. Interesting that up to now most people have said they are happier with things at the back, we lost two really sloppy goals, Stephens was toasted for the second but was left hopelessly exposed because Clancy had gone AWOL from right back, but clearly still work in progress back there. Our lack of a holding target man was there for all to see, the forwards fed off scraps, although both goals were peaches.

Glad to see Fenlon saying he is still trying to bring in players because on yesterdays display we are still are a long way short of anything like a top 6 side, but at least the guys showed fight in getting back on level terms after a horror first 20 mins

PeterboroHibee
29-07-2012, 11:53 AM

So should we just ignore the fact that those players dont really contribute to the defensive side of things? Im all for some creativity in the team, but that needs to be built on strong foundations, something we dont have. I dont really like Kerr, but if Fenlon sees him as someone that can cover the back 4, and hes the best available for that position in terms of our budget, then Ive no problem with him being brought in.

Spike Mandela
29-07-2012, 11:54 AM
Glad to see Fenlon saying he is still trying to bring in players because on yesterdays display we are still are a long way short of anything like a top 6 side, but at least the guys showed fight in getting back on level terms after a horror first 20 mins

Unfortunately the players he msy be referring to may be Maybury and Kerr who were playing yesterday.

Don Giovanni
29-07-2012, 12:47 PM
Thought both did ok yesterday.

Maybury wasn't really tested but looked competent. His signing would give us options at right and left back and hopefully allow us to drop Stephens (who I thought was poor).

Whilst Kerr is not the stellar signing we would all like to see in the middle of the park, he is an improvement on what we already have IMO. I'm not sure why Fenlon didn't start him yesterday as we learned nothing new about Lewis and Claros (neither are particularly good frankly).

number9dream
29-07-2012, 01:23 PM
There just has to be better players than these two out there!
Has to be worth waiting until 31 Aug to see who we can afford...

Franck Stanton
29-07-2012, 02:06 PM
Thought that we had no centre midfield yesterday, acres of space for Huddersfield to play through us. Also, if we are going to persist with only one up front, then Sparky isn't the answer, we need a big target man who will hold the ball up and lay it off to the smaller, nippier guys either side of him. Doyle was wasted on the wing as well, needs to be more central. All just my opinion of course.

Hibiza
29-07-2012, 02:11 PM
McGinlay was urine.

Jonnyboy
29-07-2012, 03:18 PM
McGinlay was urine.

You jest of course

HibbyAndy
29-07-2012, 04:02 PM
McGinlay was urine.

Your talking Urine.

Pretty Boy
29-07-2012, 04:11 PM
McGinlay was urine.

Quite possibly the worst post ever on here. And that's saying something.

How anyone who knows even the smallest thing about football could describe Pat McGinlay as 'urine' is beyond me.

delbert
29-07-2012, 04:28 PM
Unfortunately the players he msy be referring to may be Maybury and Kerr who were playing yesterday.
If Fenlon does sign Kerr, then quite frankly both he and in particular his scouting staff need a good kick up the arse because obviously they are not working hard enough, there is a reason why Mark Kerr played in a duff team which got relegated last season and who has been on trial with giants like Carlisle Utd and failed to get signed, he's utter mince. Im aware this forum is all about opinions, but how anyone can come on here and say he is better than what we already have (excluding Cairney) and would add something to our midfield beggars belief, particularly after having had the chance to see him in action yesterday, he offers absolutely nothing that is positive at all. If Fenlon's scouting staff cannot identify someone from the whole of the SFL who isn't more industrious, more creative and more committed than Mark Kerr, then quite clearly the scouting is not up to scratch. The fact that they found Cairney, who looks a real prospect, would tend to disprove this, and it would therefore appear to me that it is actually Fenlon who likes the look of Kerr, and that is deeply worrying.

I hope we are not at the stage where Pat is now reduced to signing players simply because they are available, because that appears to be about the only thing in my opinion which Kerr has on his side, he's available. There is time and I hope that our scouts are out at every first division match and Ramsdens Cup tie involving 1st division clubs over the coming month, we found Cairney, there are certainly one or two others out there who I am sure would be as excited about coming to a club like Hibs as Cairney said he was.

HibbyAndy
29-07-2012, 04:33 PM
If Fenlon does sign Kerr, then quite frankly both he and in particular his scouting staff need a good kick up the arse because obviously they are not working hard enough, there is a reason why Mark Kerr played in a duff team which got relegated last season and who has been on trial with giants like Carlisle Utd and failed to get signed, he's utter mince. Im aware this forum is all about opinions, but how anyone can come on here and say he is better than what we already have (excluding Cairney) and would add something to our midfield beggars belief, particularly after having had the chance to see him in action yesterday, he offers absolutely nothing that is positive at all. If Fenlon's scouting staff cannot identify someone from the whole of the SFL who isn't more industrious, more creative and more committed than Mark Kerr, then quite clearly the scouting is not up to scratch. The fact that they found Cairney, who looks a real prospect, would tend to disprove this, and it would therefore appear to me that it is actually Fenlon who likes the look of Kerr, and that is deeply worrying.

I hope we are not at the stage where Pat is now reduced to signing players simply because they are available, because that appears to be about the only thing in my opinion which Kerr has on his side, he's available. There is time and I hope that our scouts are out at every first division match and Ramsdens Cup tie involving 1st division clubs over the coming month, we found Cairney, there are certainly one or two others out there who I am sure would be as excited about coming to a club like Hibs as Cairney said he was.

I agree with all of that, I really do.

IF we sign MK he will get my full support of that i can absolute guarantee, But the guy is just awful, A truly terrible football player and im saddened that we are linked to guff players like him.

ahibby
29-07-2012, 04:40 PM
I agree with all of that, I really do.

IF we sign MK he will get my full support of that i can absolute guarantee, But the guy is just awful, A truly terrible football player and im saddened that we are linked to guff players like him.

I also agree but we know that is exactly what Hibs have been signing in recent seasons. So would be no surprise if he was signed and neither would it be a surprise to see us at the wrong end of the league come the end of the season. Hibs are totally uninspiring these days. I can't think of one signing that has made Hibs fans excited, except maybe McPake but he's going to have his hands full defending. I don't think they will come up with anyone else in midfield and I believe we need a good big strong centre forward, but where they will find one god knows.

ggth
29-07-2012, 05:00 PM

Both made a positive impact on the team, team looked solid, send Claros home

gillythehibby
29-07-2012, 05:27 PM
McGinlay was urine.

What drugs are you taking?

Iggy Pope
29-07-2012, 05:31 PM
McGinlay was urine.

Brian McGinlay, right?

Dashing Bob S
29-07-2012, 05:34 PM
Hopefully Kerr will as good as his former namesake and put in plenty of unseen work. Maybury too, in a roundabout way.

Baldy
29-07-2012, 06:05 PM
if Kerr & Maybury were any good .. some team, some where would have snapped them up before now:confused:
They haven't even had an offer of a trial from anywhere....

says it all really, not good enough and they can't get a deal anywhere else so Hibs will do the usual and sign some second rate players ... and I thought Fenlon wanted quality not quantity:confused:

Andy74
29-07-2012, 06:11 PM
Let's just wait and see the team come together eh? The last few years have taught us that there's no guarantees with the supposed better pedigree players.

Everybody talks about smaller teams doing better than us. Well this is how, getting players in that just fit what you want to do and are good for the team.

Beefster
29-07-2012, 06:54 PM
Let's just wait and see the team come together eh? The last few years have taught us that there's no guarantees with the supposed better pedigree players.

Everybody talks about smaller teams doing better than us. Well this is how, getting players in that just fit what you want to do and are good for the team.

They've also shown us that signing journeyman who have no other options is pretty much guaranteed to fail.

Andy74
29-07-2012, 07:08 PM
They've also shown us that signing journeyman who have no other options is pretty much guaranteed to fail.

Like Stokes, Killen, even McPake?

Maybe we should just not bother with the moaning until people play a few games for the team and we can judge from there.

It's journeymen that the other clubs have been signing. And getting them right. Check the backgrounds of some of the better players for the likes of St Johnstone, United and Motherwell recently.

blackpoolhibs
29-07-2012, 07:38 PM

Maybe we should just not bother with the moaning until people play a few games for the team and we can judge from there.

It'd journeymen that the other clubs have been signing. And getting them right. Check the backgrounds of some of the better players for the likes of St Johnstone, United and Motherwell recently.

Stokes Killen and Mcpake are hardly journeymen, compared to those we are after these days?

PeterboroHibee
29-07-2012, 07:45 PM

Totally agree with that. Get a bit fed up of us signing a so called big name and then just picking up anyone we can get our hands on. Fenlon seems like hes trying to build a team that functions together, and hopefully one that doesnt rely on one or two players to compensate for the failings of the rest of the team. Im really not a fan of Kerr, but if he signs, it will be to play in a role that we really struggle in, and I have faith that Fenlon will know whether hes up to it, so he would have my support.

Zemamma10
29-07-2012, 08:29 PM

Totally agree, don't know what some people were watching yesterday. Gave the ball away half the time and can hardly run. Got to be looking at better.

juniorhibbee
29-07-2012, 09:07 PM
i like hanlon at lb but think hes got a decent partnership with mcpake and when hanlon went off for maybury the left hand side looked solid and secure with maybury and cairney down that side.i honeslty do think we could sign a better quality player than maybury but just now the defence isnt as much as a priorty as midfield and upfront

IWasThere2016
29-07-2012, 09:15 PM
if Kerr & Maybury were any good .. some team, some where would have snapped them up before now:confused:
They haven't even had an offer of a trial from anywhere....

says it all really, not good enough and they can't get a deal anywhere else so Hibs will do the usual and sign some second rate players ... and I thought Fenlon wanted quality not quantity:confused:

Didnt PF say recently that now was a good time to get good players ... seems a contradiction to me if/when we are considering these two.

Beefster
30-07-2012, 08:39 AM

It's journeymen that the other clubs have been signing. And getting them right. Check the backgrounds of some of the better players for the likes of St Johnstone, United and Motherwell recently.

I'm not sure what universe you inhabit but in mine none of those players could be described as journeymen. Think Keenan, Agogo, Trakys, Gow, Zarabi. Your point about journeymen and other clubs might be true in some cases - maybe they have a scouting operation worth the name.

I've already made the point a couple of times but, just for you, I've seen Kerr play a lot of times. I'm not unenthusiastic about his signing without good reason. IIRC, I haven't grumbled about Maybury.

marinello59
30-07-2012, 08:42 AM
I'm not sure what universe you inhabit but in mine none of those players could be described as journeymen. Think Keenan, Agogo, Trakys, Gow, Zarabi. Your point about journeymen and other clubs might be true in some cases - maybe they have a scouting operation worth the name.

I've already made the point a couple of times but, just for you, I've seen Kerr play a lot of times. I'm not unenthusiastic about his signing without good reason. IIRC, I haven't grumbled about Maybury.

Right enough, with so many grumbles it must be hard for you to keep track of your targets. :greengrin

Andy74
30-07-2012, 09:00 AM

Yes they could. You can't just apply whether they played well for us as the defining factor. It's people who bumped around various other teams for a bit without being a great success.

Fact is with any player you just have to wait and see how they fit in and how they play when they get here. We've signed a few names that have done not and had success with players we'd never heard of.

gegs70
30-07-2012, 09:26 AM
maybe newco can sign kerr.....i think its a poor signing and would rather bring in a better attacking midfielder.

Aldo
30-07-2012, 09:36 AM
maybe newco can sign kerr.....i think its a poor signing and would rather bring in a better attacking midfielder.

Who do we bring in with the funds we have, don't know if we are able to afford one.

I still think we need another CH, CF, wide man and CM.

Would gladly take Lee miller but wee need an injection of pace into the team. We were too one paced last season.

I still think we will sign Maybury and possibly Kerr

3pm
30-07-2012, 09:57 AM
We're starting fron scratch.

If anyone thought that we were going to overhaul the whole squad in substantial numbers with 2 and 3 year deals they were mistaken.

Fenlon is going to have to add the squad with short term deals ie a year without compromising his objective of changing the culture if the club.

If these 2 are signed and do a reasonable job for a short time then so be it. I am not overly enthused but it's understandable.

Beefster
30-07-2012, 09:58 AM
Yes they could. You can't just apply whether they played well for us as the defining factor. It's people who bumped around various other teams for a bit without being a great success.

Any chance of you not patronising me? It switches me right off.

Pretty Boy
30-07-2012, 10:05 AM
I think what people really need to get to grips with is that with or without the sevco situation the financial position isn't great. The rebuilding job was never going to be done in one window.

My.memory of Maybury is as a steady Eddie SPL defender. I think he's being looked at as a squad player. PF probably has the same reservations about Stephens as a lot of us so Maybury is likely being signed to allow Clancy or Hanlon to push into the middle if needed. I expect another defender to be on radar in January.

Kerr is a strange one. I remember him being pretty good for Dundee Utd. I think there was a bit of a battle for his signature at one point with Heart, United and Aberdeen and possibly even Hibs being keen. I always thought he was neat and tidy at Aberdeen but he seemed to be the boo boy for an Aberdeen support that had a strange hatred of a team that was relatively decent. Not really followed his career since but by all accounts he was one of few bright spots for Dunfermilne last year.

We simply can't go out and splash cash on consistent, creative midfielders, these guys cost a.lot because they are a rarity. PF is, imo, trying to steady the ship by building a team better than the sum of its parts. If we can get a team that plays for each other and buys into what the manager is trying to do it should be possible to supplement that with 2 or 3 signings in each of the next couple of windows that sees guys like Kerr thanked for their service but moved on.

Fans need to be patient as we really are starting from.absolutely nothing. A steady season next year is all I expect, the year after is when we should push on, youngsters will have been bled and we might just have some kind of team spirit and continuity.

Constant negativity and moaning about players before they have even signed isn't helpful and just helps stoke the flames of the bad atmosphere around all things Hibs at the moment imo.

ScottB
30-07-2012, 10:10 AM
I think what people really need to get to grips with is that with or without the sevco situation the financial position isn't great. The rebuilding job was never going to be done in one window.

My.memory of Maybury is as a steady Eddie SPL defender. I think he's being looked at as a squad player. PF probably has the same reservations about Stephens as a lot of us so Maybury is likely being signed to allow Clancy or Hanlon to push into the middle if needed. I expect another defender to be on radar in January.

Kerr is a strange one. I remember him being pretty good for Dundee Utd. I think there was a bit of a battle for his signature at one point with Heart, United and Aberdeen and possibly even Hibs being keen. I always thought he was neat and tidy at Aberdeen but he seemed to be the boo boy for an Aberdeen support that had a strange hatred of a team that was relatively decent. Not really followed his career since but by all accounts he was one of few bright spots for Dunfermilne last year.

We simply can't go out and splash cash on consistent, creative midfielders, these guys cost a.lot because they are a rarity. PF is, imo, trying to steady the ship by building a team better than the sum of its parts. If we can get a team that plays for each other and buys into what the manager is trying to do it should be possible to supplement that with 2 or 3 signings in each of the next couple of windows that sees guys like Kerr thanked for their service but moved on.

Fans need to be patient as we really are starting from.absolutely nothing. A steady season next year is all I expect, the year after is when we should push on, youngsters will have been bled and we might just have some kind of team spirit and continuity.

Constant negativity and moaning about players before they have even signed isn't helpful and just helps stoke the flames of the bad atmosphere around all things Hibs at the moment imo.

Spot on :top marks

Thecat23
30-07-2012, 10:21 AM

I have no idea why folk are saying this as it's not true. that whole team were bad and Kerr wasn't a bright spot believe me.

With that team just now PB we won't have a steady season, the squad as it stands is bare thin and with injuries and suspensions we will struggle to be away from the bottom. Just because it's a new season some folk think we will come out a totally different team. We won't we lost a lot of players last year most gash, but haven't replaced any where near enough. I've bought my season ticket along with strips for the wee man as i want to help Hibs. But this season will mirror last I think. so if we did finish above 10th i'd be pleasantly surprised. I'm not moaning I'm just telling it how it is. Hibs should be after better players whether it's in the first division or lower leagues. We have great training facilities and a good stadium along with a healthy fan base that sadly has dwindled because of poor decisions on and off the park. Hibs should appeal to most players that are hungry.

MrSmith
30-07-2012, 11:30 AM
We're starting from scratch.

If anyone thought that we were going to overhaul the whole squad in substantial numbers with 2 and 3 year deals they were mistaken.

Fenlon is going to have to add the squad with short term deals ie a year without compromising his objective of changing the culture if the club.

If these 2 are signed and do a reasonable job for a short time then so be it. I am not overly enthused but it's understandable.

This for me. We are entering a period of significant change in terms of our club and Scottish Football in general, I think it would be foolish to look long term signing at this point. However, I'm more than willing to support Pat in his decisions because, in the long term, I'm absolutely certain he will turn the club around and sign players of the caliber he desires. But, we as fans, need to buy into it just now - next year will be telling.

PeterboroHibee
30-07-2012, 12:14 PM

And ignore our defensive frailtiesfor another season? Im not saying Kerrs the answer, but you cant just bring in lots of attacking players and hope that that will be enough. If Fenlon can establish a proper, organised, functional team, then we can add the sort of flair players that would take us up a gear or two.

MrSmith
30-07-2012, 12:19 PM
And ignore our defensive frailtiesfor another season? Im not saying Kerrs the answer, but you cant just bring in lots of attacking players and hope that that will be enough. If Fenlon can establish a proper, organised, functional team, then we can add the sort of flair players that would take us up a gear or two.

I think Yogi's methodology was to create an attacking team which would score one more goal than the other. However, I feel that particular methodology caused the ensuing frailties in our defence.

ManBearPig
30-07-2012, 09:22 PM

Couldn't agree more think 'reservist Kerr' was nothing worthwhile if I'm to be honest I thought Claros played better apart from breaking down one promising move. However I like maybury solid professional

happiehibbie
31-07-2012, 09:18 AM
Well here we go

I thought the keeper was good came and caught a few balls on the edge of his 18 yard line I like that

Clancy :_ for me did not look happy at right back bit seems a big lad Mcpake lost the head at him on second goal

Stephens :- again big lad very young for a defender got turned for the second goal as he looked at the attacker not the ball could be a bit fitter

Mcpake solid enough huge improvement

Hanlin out on left side did ok but could do with improving his passing

centre No improvememnt on last season simply not good enough

Doyle there is a player in there but played in wrong postion

Sproule Great finsh for goal only thing he did again not good enough

Sparky did what he could sometimes to much but high balls to him dont work

Mabury / kerr I belive are not the answer we must get better players than them

I hear Ian black is getting 7k a week from new co (reliable source) On another not I Know for a fact that a well known agent said to me that PF is not the man for us and has no contacts within the game which for me is worrying

anyway onwards and upwards

GGTTH

Heisenberg
31-07-2012, 09:20 AM
Didn't one of his contacts/friends at colchester give him info on Ben Williams?

bighairyfaeleith
31-07-2012, 09:26 AM
Well here we go

I thought the keeper was good came and caught a few balls on the edge of his 18 yard line I like that

Clancy :_ for me did not look happy at right back bit seems a big lad Mcpake lost the head at him on second goal

Stephens :- again big lad very young for a defender got turned for the second goal as he looked at the attacker not the ball could be a bit fitter

I hear Ian black is getting 7k a week from new co (reliable source) On another not I Know for a fact that a well known agent said to me that PF is not the man for us and has no contacts within the game which for me is worrying

GGTTH

Haven't seen any of the friendlies so can't comment on the players, however I would take an agents comments with a pinch of salt as he could well just have an axe to grind as hibs don't want one of his players etc etc.

Fenlon might not have many contacts yet but I'm sure they will build over time, the main thing is if he can get us performing on the pitch and make the best of what he has got. Not 1005 on that happening yet myself but still going to get behind him this season and see where he can take us.

happiehibbie
31-07-2012, 10:07 AM
Haven't seen any of the friendlies so can't comment on the players, however I would take an agents comments with a pinch of salt as he could well just have an axe to grind as hibs don't want one of his players etc etc.

Fenlon might not have many contacts yet but I'm sure they will build over time, the main thing is if he can get us performing on the pitch and make the best of what he has got. Not 1005 on that happening yet myself but still going to get behind him this season and see where he can take us.

we signed one of the Agents players !!!

bighairyfaeleith
31-07-2012, 10:09 AM
we signed one of the Agents players !!!

which one?

SMAXXA
31-07-2012, 11:42 AM
Well here we go

GGTTH

I thought big Stephens done pretty well, he was steady if not spectacular. He could have done better with their 2nd goal though, however McPake should have done better with their first he was caught ball watching when the ball went over his heed but havnt seen it mentioned.

Definatley start with JM and DS at centre backs if we dont get a new CH.

Albion Hibs
31-07-2012, 12:02 PM
I have no idea what Fenlon sees in Maybury, this player with the right attitude is a load of nonsense, and an idiots justifcation to I cant find anyone else, so i will pull on this chord for a bit. We have more than enough players that can play a role at RB, if Clancy is not available / injured during the season I would rather see Wotherspoon coming in for him.

Kerr is a player that I dont really know anything about, he was okay at Utd, and average at best at Aberdeen. I think Fenlon needs to widen his scouting network and improve his list of contacts.

Andy74
31-07-2012, 12:17 PM
I have no idea what Fenlon sees in Maybury, this player with the right attitude is a load of nonsense, and an idiots justifcation to I cant find anyone else, so i will pull on this chord for a bit. We have more than enough players that can play a role at RB, if Clancy is not available / injured during the season I would rather see Wotherspoon coming in for him.

Kerr is a player that I dont really know anything about, he was okay at Utd, and average at best at Aberdeen. I think Fenlon needs to widen his scouting network and improve his list of contacts.

Having seen Maybury in the tour games and the bit of the game during the week, I fear it may be you who is the idiot.

He has been excellent, and has played right back, left back and defensive midfield.

A player who can cover all those positions is great when you will only have a small squad.

Who are all the other right backs by the way, particulalry if Wotherspoon is being played in his favoured attacking midfield role?

Maybury also seems to bring professionalism and is by all accounts great around training and the dressing room. That type of thing is invaluable when you see the lack of characters and desire this club has had recently. What is nonsense about having the right attitude? You have seen Hibs in recent times, right? Well known for getting stuck in when times are tough right enough.

Amd using the new Hibs.net myth about lack of contacts - aye, you know who Fenlon has contact with I'm sure.

hibeefan95
31-07-2012, 12:18 PM
I thought big Stephens done pretty well, he was steady if not spectacular. He could have done better with their 2nd goal though, however McPake should have done better with their first he was caught ball watching when the ball went over his heed but havnt seen it mentioned.

Definatley start with JM and DS at centre backs if we dont get a new CH.

:agree:

Franck Stanton
31-07-2012, 01:13 PM
To be honest am getting a bit fed up with the Maybury/Kerr situation. They seem to have been hanging around fo ages hoping for a contract. Surely Fenlon knows if they are good enough/can afford to sign them. Either sign them or tell them no thanks and move on.

PeterboroHibee
31-07-2012, 01:39 PM
To be honest am getting a bit fed up with the Maybury/Kerr situation. They seem to have been hanging around fo ages hoping for a contract. Surely Fenlon knows if they are good enough/can afford to sign them. Either sign them or tell them no thanks and move on.

There was an article the other day where Fenlon said it would be resolved within the next 72 hours (think it was on Sunday). Going by that, if either of them are offered a deal and accept, theyll likely be announced today or tomorrow.

PatHead
31-07-2012, 02:30 PM
Someone said that Hibs would be likely to wait until after the end of the financial year (today) before making signings. That could explain the delay in getting the deals completed. Sure there will be a valid reason.

Re Clancy, I saw him against East Fife and much preferred his second half performance at Centre Back. Felt him and McPake would make a great pairing with Maybury and Hanlon at Full backs making a solid defence. Just wish we had a bit more muscle in midfield which is even more critical than forward problems for me.

PeterboroHibee
31-07-2012, 04:10 PM
Today was the day that the TV deal got sorted so might have been to do with that.

Andy74
31-07-2012, 04:13 PM
Someone said that Hibs would be likely to wait until after the end of the financial year (today) before making signings. That could explain the delay in getting the deals completed. Sure there will be a valid reason.

Re Clancy, I saw him against East Fife and much preferred his second half performance at Centre Back. Felt him and McPake would make a great pairing with Maybury and Hanlon at Full backs making a solid defence. Just wish we had a bit more muscle in midfield which is even more critical than forward problems for me.

The year end stuff is just another stick to try and beat Petrie with.

We've been beaten to other players, would we just have delayed those until the new financial year?

Sometimes we may just have to listen to what the manager is saying about trying hard to get the right players for the long term and ones that actually want to be here and have the right character.

The ones we have got so far seem to fit the bill on that front although we need to see how they do once they start playing, as ever.

Albion Hibs
31-07-2012, 05:23 PM
Having seen Maybury in the tour games and the bit of the game during the week, I fear it may be you who is the idiot.

He has been excellent, and has played right back, left back and defensive midfield.

A player who can cover all those positions is great when you will only have a small squad.

Who are all the other right backs by the way, particulalry if Wotherspoon is being played in his favoured attacking midfield role?

Maybury also seems to bring professionalism and is by all accounts great around training and the dressing room. That type of thing is invaluable when you see the lack of characters and desire this club has had recently. What is nonsense about having the right attitude? You have seen Hibs in recent times, right? Well known for getting stuck in when times are tough right enough.

Amd using the new Hibs.net myth about lack of contacts - aye, you know who Fenlon has contact with I'm sure.

I remember Maybury being a little hertz £$%&*%d, that took a great degree of delight in beating hibs, more significantly i remember him playing against us for St J and thinking he was rubbish, and being delighted he was on the losing team. A few pre-season games is not going to change my mind.

Wotherspoon can have as many favoured roles as he wants, the only position i have seen him play well in, is right back.

You comment that i dont know about Fenlons contact...by the same vein how exactly do you know what professionalism he brings to the dressing room?

I dont think there will be many teams out there signing two right backs in the same window, when they have little to no midfield and two strikers, that are not 6 foot with their hands in the air. Any money going into players needs to be in the right places, given as you say the small squad and the equally as small budget - more in midfield or up front will get my vote every time.

PS no need to fear for me on any account.

Hibbyradge
31-07-2012, 05:26 PM

Why would they wait till the last day of a financial year? :confused:

Surely they'd wait till the beginning of the next one?