PDA

View Full Version : Could a top female side give us a game?

R'Albin
28-07-2012, 08:41 PM
So I was watching a team GB game today with my Mum and show were debating as to whether they could give us a game if we played them. I was certain we'd still be head and shoulders above them, so to back up my point where better to go than Hibs.net :greengrin

So could a top women's side give us, or any other SPL team for that matter, a challenge?

HUTCHYHIBBY
28-07-2012, 08:42 PM
No

Haymaker
28-07-2012, 08:44 PM
No, physicality would come out on top.

HoboHarry
28-07-2012, 08:45 PM
So I was watching a team GB game today with my Mum and show were debating as to whether they could give us a game if we played them. I was certain we'd still be head and shoulders above them, so to back up my point where better to go than Hibs.net :greengrin

So could a top women's side give us, or any other SPL team for that matter, a challenge?

No they could not. I played (many years ago) in a friendly against the Ghana womens team as part of their preparations for a tournament in Togo. We spanked them 6-1 and even I managed to get a goal. They simply could not compete with the male power and speed

Nando™
28-07-2012, 08:46 PM
Not a chance. Women's football lacks the pace, power and presence to compete with any men's team.

I played against the Hibs ladies while with a youth team in 2003 and we slaughtered them about 10-0. That may be a suitable comparison.

Bob Box Fish
I reckon the top few conference teams in England would give the bottom few SPL clubs a tough game.

Sudds_1

well, we play a bunch of fannies in two weeks. We'll find out then !

lyonhibs
28-07-2012, 08:51 PM
No no no no no no no.

muirhousehibby
28-07-2012, 09:04 PM
Not a chance. Women's football lacks the pace, power and presence to compete with any men's team.

I played against the Hibs ladies while with a youth team in 2003 and we slaughtered them about 10-0. That may be a suitable comparison.

:agree: It's alot slower paced but the woman do try and play football the right way.

I've taken my youth team at u15 and u16s last 2 years and both times it was double figures against one of the top woman teams in edinburgh.

The woman can't play at the same tempo as the mens game.

Bostonhibby
28-07-2012, 09:12 PM
I'm up for it if they are :wink:, two holds, a submission or a knockout.

If this is about their ability to give Hibs a game, my answer would be probably, unless we punt it long cutting out the midfield otherwise they'd have us.

jgl07
29-07-2012, 02:56 AM
Probably the most advanced sport for female participation is tennis. It has had a full time professional structure for the past 40 years and equal prize money with men at most of not all internation tournaments. If there is any sport where women could be expected to compete with men it is tennis. Of the few matches held between men and women, the men have won on most occasions.

In 1973, a 55 year old hustler Bobby Riggs challenged the then top ranked female player Margaret Court, aged 30, and won easily. 6–2, 6–1. later that year a reun faced Riggs against the 29 year old Billy-Jean King. This time King won 6–4, 6–3, 6–3 by exploiting Rigg's lack of fitness. S ubsequently the 40 year old Jimmy Connors defeated 35 year old Martina Navratilova 7–5, 6–2. This was despite Connors only having one serve and Navratilova being allowed to hit the ball into the doubles area of the court. It has been suggested that any man in the top 1500 could beat any woman.

If men can prevail over full-time professional women at htennis, you can envisage the gulf in a contact sport like football between a full time professional mens team and a amateur or part-time professional womens team.

Pete
29-07-2012, 04:40 AM
Absolutely no chance.

I'm loving the Brazilian womens team though. Instead of one word names like Neymar, Hulk and Pato you have ones like Maurine, Esther, Erika and Barbara.

On second thoughts, maybe that Marta could do a job for us. I've seen more skill, composure and determination from her in a small five minute long highlights package than I seen from the vast majority of our team for the whole of last season.

Hongkong Phooey
29-07-2012, 05:37 AM

No chance.

A few years ago a woman's Scottish Internationalist used to be in our five-a-side 'pool''. She wasn't as good as majority of the guys and we were nowhere near SPL standard.

Cabbage East
29-07-2012, 08:05 AM
I reckon the top few conference teams in England would give the bottom few SPL clubs a tough game.

That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read on here. And that's saying something.

VickMackie
29-07-2012, 08:25 AM
Stephens, up front, 16 goals fi heiders and flickons!

jacomo
29-07-2012, 09:54 AM
:agree: It's alot slower paced but the woman do try and play football the right way.

I've taken my youth team at u15 and u16s last 2 years and both times it was double figures against one of the top woman teams in edinburgh.

The woman can't play at the same tempo as the mens game.

It's easier to play 'the right way' if no one challenges you. A few years ago I watched the Ladies League Cup Final, arsenal v everton, featuring elite players like Kelly Smith and Rachel Yankey. Don't think there was one committed tackle the entire game, as well as the tempo being noticeably lower.

.Sean.
29-07-2012, 10:05 AM
At about under 14's or 15's we had a friendly against the local womens team and put about ten past them. No danger they can give any male team a serious game.

Holmesdale Hibs
29-07-2012, 10:44 AM
No chance.

I remember Tam Cowan asked one of the Scottish girls 'could yous beat Cowdenbeath? And she was pretty adamant that they couldn't although apparently they play some of the lower division teams in friendlies.

TheDude
29-07-2012, 06:26 PM
Probably not.

While there are plenty women players who have better ball skills and footballing intelligence than the current bunch of humpties we employ, the speed and power of the male game (esp professional players) is just to much to overcome.

Anytime I've played in games with women I've found that often despite often being far more skillfull than me they just dont have the strength or speed to keep hold of the ball or sucessfully challange for it.

Its understandable though, imagine playing against someone 5 stone heavier and half a foot bigger than you. I wouldn't exactly be launching myself into challanges!

I think what would be a more interesting debate is what would happen if a female player emerged who was good enough to play at the top level of the mens game. Odds are at some point in the furure at least one female player is going to develop the physical attributes or be skillfull enough to compete.

Andy74
29-07-2012, 06:34 PM
By us do you mean Hibs. Net?

I'm pretty sure Hibs.net could put together a team to beat the top women's side in the world.

Allant1981
29-07-2012, 06:41 PM
Im prob the only one who reckons it would be a decent game against one of the top sides, dont think it would be a huge scoreline against a top female team

LancashireHibby
29-07-2012, 06:58 PM
That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read on here. And that's saying something.
You're right. They'd stuff us.

JohnStephens91
29-07-2012, 07:11 PM
I have seen some women's international football matches and the answer is a no. The women's game is not very physical and is very slowly paced, even if they had a bit more skill that would not do them much good as the men are physically stronger and quicker. If Hibs played Team GB Hibs would win by over 10 goals I reckon, the standard women play at is not much different from junior football.

I also remember we had the school football team playing against the girls school football team once, it ended up being a walkover, I think it was about 18-0. There is a reason why the sport is separated for men and women.

lord bunberry
29-07-2012, 07:31 PM

There's only one way to find out.....

easty
29-07-2012, 07:39 PM

I'm pretty sure Hibs.net could put together a team to beat the top women's side in the world.

We absolutely could. I don't think I'd have any bother at all defending against any of them. The standard of women's football, even at the highest level, is awful. It's so slow.

Glory Lurker
29-07-2012, 07:39 PM
From what I can tell from last year's World Cup and the little I've watched of the Olympics, one thing they do have over the men's game, though, is the ability to to play without whining like bairns when a decision goes against them.

marinello59
29-07-2012, 07:41 PM
From what I can tell from last year's World Cup and the little I've watched of the Olympics, one thing they do have over the men's game, though, is the ability to to play without whining like bairns when a decision goes against them.

:agree:

clerriehibs
29-07-2012, 07:54 PM
No.

And something I think worth noting is that, in all the other Olympic sports, the female version always look as though they are operating at a high level.

The women's football looks more like a Sunday kickabout than top class football.

easty
29-07-2012, 08:03 PM

Dunno, I watched the Brazil teams and they liked a whine. Liked to roll about like they'd been shot too.

Broken Gnome
29-07-2012, 09:04 PM
You could have Zibi in goals for us, and the difference between keepers would automatically give a double digit advantage. In favour of Hibs, just to clarify.

Since90+2
29-07-2012, 09:08 PM
I have seen some women's international football matches and the answer is a no. The women's game is not very physical and is very slowly paced, even if they had a bit more skill that would not do them much good as the men are physically stronger and quicker. If Hibs played Team GB Hibs would win by over 10 goals I reckon, the standard women play at is not much different from junior football.

I also remember we had the school football team playing against the girls school football team once, it ended up being a walkover, I think it was about 18-0. There is a reason why the sport is separated for men and women.

Hibs woudnt beat a top junior side by over 10 goals , no chance.

hibeemikey21
29-07-2012, 09:22 PM

Definitely not. Only an amateur player myself, but the whipping boys of our league in Aberdeen one season played aberdeen's women's team in a pre season friendly. They beat Aberdeen 9-0. The mens team got relegated from our league that season after amassing something like 11 points. They were crap but obviously light years ahead of a top flight womens team.

VickMackie
29-07-2012, 09:32 PM
My ex used to play for Scotland when we were both 16. We would take the ball the the field and have a muck about and I used to rip the pish out her.

judas
30-07-2012, 06:52 PM

I have played many games with woman in my life and they have always come out on top :wink:

HibbyAndy
30-07-2012, 06:58 PM
No chance.

Ever watched a woman strike a ball?.. I can pish harder than a burd can hit it.

Kaiser1962
30-07-2012, 06:59 PM
I have played many games with woman in my life and they have always come out on top :wink:

I once played in a charity rugby match against a team of local nurses.

Nothing to do with the thread but I always try to remind myself of this occasionally :greengrin

VickMackie
30-07-2012, 07:27 PM
Hibs woudnt beat a top junior side by over 10 goals , no chance.

Did we not struggle against that Junior team for most of the first half during the Scottish cup game? Ithe was at the game and can't remember what they were called!

I shat it when the boy hit a curler from the edge of the box which just went past the post. Looked like it was in from where I was in the west!

HibbyAndy
30-07-2012, 07:34 PM
Did we not struggle against that Junior team for most of the first half during the Scottish cup game? Ithe was at the game and can't remember what they were called!

I shat it when the boy hit a curler from the edge of the box which just went past the post. Looked like it was in from where I was in the west!

Hearts beat that junior side in the scottish cup 1-0 at Pinkcastle and IIRC the junior side had a goal WRONGLY ruled off for offside at the death. Talk about lucky barstewards.

Since90+2
30-07-2012, 07:42 PM

Irvine Meadow.

Auchinlech Talbot also gave Hearts a right good game last year. Times like them plus Spartans and a couple of the east Junior teams are probably not far off the standard of SLF 2 and 3.

VickMackie
30-07-2012, 07:48 PM
Irvine Meadow.

Auchinlech Talbot also gave Hearts a right good game last year. Times like them plus Spartans and a couple of the east Junior teams are probably not far off the standard of SLF 2 and 3.

That's the one.

Macaroon
31-07-2012, 01:14 AM

I call Goalkeeper :cb

TrickyNicky
31-07-2012, 01:55 AM
Yes please!

Woops, sorry, thought it said " could a top female side give us a gam"? :taxi

Keith_M
31-07-2012, 08:31 AM
Has anyone mentioned leaving out the game and going straight to the joint showers yet:

:dunno: