PDA

View Full Version : Where will we finish next season?

Spike Mandela
28-07-2012, 06:26 PM
OK pre season games out the way and new signings in albeit there may be one or two more what is your feeling for the season ahead? Where will Fenlon take us.

For me I predicted 11th last season and this year feel that Dundee's unpreparedness will see us safely in that position again.

No apologies for not having 1st place in poll but 2nd is up for grabs.:greengrin

Zemamma10
28-07-2012, 06:32 PM
If anybody has us top 6 I'd be surprised, need at least another 4 new players, a big strong centre forward, winger, creative midfielder and a centre back.

Hibercelona
28-07-2012, 06:39 PM
There was already an identical topic last week.

I think about 50% voted 2nd.

I was one of them. :cb

SteveHFC
28-07-2012, 06:41 PM
2nd :agree:

Bob Box Fish
28-07-2012, 06:44 PM
Similar to last season unless we bring in another 4 players minimum.

Baldy Foghorn
28-07-2012, 06:45 PM
I wanted to vote 1st, Celtic are garbage??

BEEJ
28-07-2012, 06:48 PM
Spike, I think you should have set the date for closing this poll as next Saturday, the eve of our new SPL campaign kicking off.

So much can happen between now and 16 September - in terms of early SPL results, team performances, the odd transfer or two - that my answer to this question might change four or five times between now and then.

:greengrin

hibeefan95
28-07-2012, 06:53 PM
I have became a little more hopeful after watching today's game against Huddersfield.

Steve20
28-07-2012, 07:01 PM
11th

Keith_M
28-07-2012, 07:22 PM
I used to view the start of a new season with a sense of (normally unplaced) optimism. After the last three seasons, that seems to have totally gone.

I honestly haven't felt this negative about Hibs since I started attending games over thirty years ago. Considering that included the early eighties, it really says something.

I decided to vote in the most optimistic way I could so plumped for 9th. I just hope 1860 can cheer me up a little more.

Ray_
28-07-2012, 07:26 PM
I used to view the start of a new season with a sense of (normally unplaced) optimism. After the last three seasons, that seems to have totally gone.

I honestly haven't felt this negative about Hibs since I started attending games over thirty years ago. Considering that included the early eighties, it really says something.

I decided to vote in the most optimistic way I could so plumped for 9th. I just hope 1860 can cheer me up a little more.

Your not the only one with over 50% so far voting for 8th or lower.

leggeto
28-07-2012, 07:36 PM
9th hope im wrong:flag::flag::flag:

sesoim
29-07-2012, 12:25 AM
With the squad we've got just now, the only way we'll finish top six is if half a dozen teams go into administration.

We'll never have a better chance of finishing second, but with Petrie in charge, I can only see another season of misery. And if the crowds (inevitably) go down, Petrie will blame the fans again instead of his negative running of the club and awful managerial appointments.

STF needs to have a serious look at how this club is getting run, because Hibs could be missing out on a great chance to establish themselves near the top of the SPL, and subsequently inflate his investment. Instead, Petrie is running us like a First Division club, and charging us £20 odd pound a game for the honour of watching them.

Oh well, at least Petrie is still getting a top four chairman's wages.

Captain Trips
29-07-2012, 12:28 AM
6 more players needed so I cannot say until we sign more, as it stands 11th,12th. The team was a shambles last term we did get rid of most but we have not brought in enough. Midfield is a joke tbh, 3 strikers isnt enough as 1 is untested at this level.

The team is weak as it is, suspension and injury would leave a sorry state. In our situation there is no room for error, IMO PF is not up to the task.

StevesFamau5
29-07-2012, 12:29 AM
Bottom six. Probably eighth or nineth. Its going to be a season with not much to shout about. Few moans and grumbles. But nowhere near as bad as last.

My only reason for this is... We aint that bad. We're just not good enough to press higher. The hope in me says top five. The reality states above. Or am i being wildly optomistic? :(

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

BEEJ
29-07-2012, 10:51 AM
STF needs to have a serious look at how this club is getting run, because Hibs could be missing out on a great chance to establish themselves near the top of the SPL, and subsequently inflate his investment. Instead, Petrie is running us like a First Division club, and charging us £20 odd pound a game for the honour of watching them.

I thought he wasn't getting paid anything now. He's not taking a salary at all, as far as I understood.

:confused:

steakbake
29-07-2012, 10:59 AM
6th, maybe. But even that will be progress.

Sean1875
29-07-2012, 11:02 AM
As much as I would like to say 2nd, can only see us finishing best of the rest, 7th for me :agree: We've still got a couple of years to win the league, plenty time :greengrin

iwasthere1972
29-07-2012, 11:04 AM
4th

basehibby
29-07-2012, 11:14 AM
Going by what we've got right now I've said 8th - the improvement in position is due to an improvement in our defensive set up and taking into account a reduction in budget accross the board which may husrt smaller clubs a bit more.

To broach the top 6 positions I think we'll need to sign a few more quality players including a physical striker and someone to unlock the door from the midfield.

Waxy
29-07-2012, 11:17 AM
2nd.
I reckon we are going to get another 3 good signings.
And our team will improve beyond recognition from last year.

blackpoolhibs
29-07-2012, 11:21 AM
I'm hoping for a 9th place finish, Dundee i'd say will finish bottom? Inverness have been weakened, and i think we might if we get 2 or 3 more in pip St Mirren out of the coveted 9th place finish?

LeighLoyal
29-07-2012, 11:47 AM
Second place has nice juicy prize money. £1.2m. Get in there Hibs! A couple more signings and the emergence of Handling, Caldwell, Smith, Stanton... who knows. As long as that :monkey: Thompson can't ref us every week.

goosefat
29-07-2012, 12:02 PM
With the squad we've got just now, the only way we'll finish top six is if half a dozen teams go into administration.

We'll never have a better chance of finishing second, but with Petrie in charge, I can only see another season of misery. And if the crowds (inevitably) go down, Petrie will blame the fans again instead of his negative running of the club and awful managerial appointments.

I didn't come here for a lecture on communism. :wink:

I also can't remember Petrie directly blaming the fans for anything...

erin go bragh
29-07-2012, 12:38 PM
Why no option for 1st :cb

Champions season 2012/2013 :offski:

4th :greengrin

ggtth

I

JohnStephens91
29-07-2012, 12:43 PM
I said 7th. The team has improved but lacks another striker with SPL experience, the team looks good though and we have some decent quality subs and a good set of youth players coming through, but there is still improvements to be made but we'll have a much better season than the last one anyway!

Beefster
29-07-2012, 12:59 PM
10th but we won't be safe until early April.

Don Giovanni
29-07-2012, 01:03 PM
It depends on how much business we do and the quality of player we bring in between now and the close of the transfer window. With the current squad any improvement on last season would be good. Hopefully with a few more choice recruits we can hit the dizzy heights of 8th!
:rolleyeyes:

James70
29-07-2012, 01:16 PM
9th as we hopefully now have a decent GK and a stronger back 4 than last season. I can't see Dundee doing anything but struggle, Ross County may surprise a few people but other teams have been weakened since last season.

We should have a stronger team spirit now with having fewer loan signings and players who couldn't care less, however the lack of a decent midfield and few strike options is a worry. Let's hope Leigh Griffiths can behave himself as he seems to be our only real goal threat.

A lot could depend on the quality of our youngsters who will be called upon when the inevitable injuries and suspensions kick in. It could be the beginning of a new golden generation?

And the number of our games that Craig Thomson officiates will also have a bearing.

NAE NOOKIE
29-07-2012, 02:10 PM
I voted 7th.

Based on what I saw yesterday we can score goals if we get the ball to the front men. But our lack of a midfield will cost us points big time .. I do think the defense is better, but the fact that other teams will get the chance to create things by waltzing through our powder fuff middle will count against us.

Other teams are weaker than last season though and I cant see Ross County or Dundee picking up more points than us over the season, which should work for us.

But Aberdeens pre season has been imprissive with good performances against very good German opposition, in view of which I cant see them being as bad as last year.

On the subject of which ..... unless we want to give Aberdeen and the Yams a big advantage at ER we could do worse than to shave six yards off the pitch, both teams have good width and we have very little .... why make it easy for them?

Franck Stanton
29-07-2012, 02:18 PM
As a lot of posters have said - will depend on how many more players we bring in this transfer window. The current squad should be capable of finnishing up at least 9th as Dundee haven't really been given time to adjust their squad to SPL level. Also think that Ross County - alough starting well, will over the course of the season, falter, ICT seem to have been weakened considerably, so on that basis alone we should be no lower than 9th as we have strengthened defensively. Still need to sort out a non-existant midfield area though. With a "midfield general" in there - someone who can control a game and a big, no nonsence target man up front and we could even be looking at a top 6 place. Sad days when we are struggling for even that, still, I live in hope.

CabbageBoy
29-07-2012, 04:56 PM
After years of replacing good players with crap, we now replace crap with more crap, and some untried youngsters. This year, the luck runs out.

Heisenberg
29-07-2012, 05:08 PM
Think bottom six is pretty much a certainty unless we sign a few more players of better quality than what we have. I'd be happy with 7th tbh.

3pm
29-07-2012, 05:34 PM
Bottom 6. Not strong enough in midfield as we all know.

Hainan Hibs
29-07-2012, 05:52 PM
Bottom six, around 9th I feel.

marinello59
29-07-2012, 05:54 PM
Fourth.
Synergy.

Fergus52
29-07-2012, 08:24 PM
everyone is so pessimistic. do you honestly think killie, st johnstone, ross county, and ICT have stronger squads than us.

I would and am going to put money on us finishing top 6.

hibeefan95
29-07-2012, 08:55 PM
everyone is so pessimistic. do you honestly think killie, st johnstone, ross county, and ICT have stronger squads than us.

St Johnstone have a fairly decent side. Tade and Hasselbaink is a good strike force. Don't think the other three are stronger than us. I think ICT might actually go down this season.

juniorhibbee
29-07-2012, 09:01 PM
went for 8th as i feel some teams have got slightly weaker and we hopefully wont be conceding as many goals as last year. im expecting a solid season nothing fancy and hopefully we get another one or two decent players in january just to see us safe as theres not much decent players going about just now:wink:

Captain Trips
29-07-2012, 09:34 PM

Aye

Spike Mandela
02-08-2012, 07:55 AM
Still no more signings, still looking good for 11th.:cb

The Sea-gull
02-08-2012, 08:03 AM
Things can change before the end of the month for all teams but based on spl squads as they are right now, with at least 6 teams looking better than us 7th might be as good as it gets.

SneakersO'Toole
02-08-2012, 08:03 AM
Our midfield is arguably one of the worst in the league.

We have removed a 15goals a season striker (albeit a lazy one) and replaced him with no one.

We are relying on one striker who is only on loan for 6months to get us goals.

We look like starting the season playing players out of position, i.e. Doyle, Hanlon.

Not alot to be positive about IMO. This season presents a fantastic opportunity for one team to really push on and get 2nd place but unfortunately that won't be Hibs. Very disappointing but not surprising.

gegs70
02-08-2012, 08:34 AM
We still havent improved the midfield area and need at least another forward with different attributes than the current ones we have. I hope not but bottom 6 again. But you never know if we dont get it quite right we still could bring some players in january?

Jim44
02-08-2012, 08:40 AM
Lightweight upfront, non-existent midfield, a bit more promising at the back ........ We'll escape relegation by the skin of our teeth.

02-08-2012, 08:58 AM
6th

Phil MaGlass
02-08-2012, 11:01 AM
I had said 9th, but on reflection, I think we will be relegated, just not good enough, we havent (after years of no midfield) strengthened midfield, we have a Keystone Cops defence, I am also beginning to think PF doesnt have what it takes to manage,although definitely willing him on, we have what seems a non existent scouting system, we are out bid for players to so-called smaller teams which ah cannae get ma heid roond:confused: I hope tae god we can turn it around, the only positives for me is Sproule seems to be getting sharper and the young guys from the tour were pretty sharp and got on the score sheets.

Spike Mandela
04-08-2012, 06:05 PM
Gary Deegan in now, anyone changing their mind?

Piqué
04-08-2012, 06:25 PM
I think we'll finish 9th. At least that would be a small step in the right direction. Inverness, Dundee and Ross County to finish below us.

The Voice Of Reason
04-08-2012, 08:10 PM
12th

We were dreadful last season..........and we have lost our best midfield player and top goal scorer.

The Voice Of Reason
04-08-2012, 08:12 PM
Gary Deegan in now, anyone changing their mind?

Yes, me.

Instead of 12th, now that Deegan has signed I think we could actually win the league. :aok:

ekhibee
04-08-2012, 09:31 PM
In descending order of pishness, I reckon the bottom 6 will be:

Ross County
Inverness Caley
St Mirren
Hibs
Killie
Dundee

Hovehibby
04-08-2012, 09:52 PM
Voted 6th. Think we have made quite a few good signings, and teams like Killie and Motherwell are a lot weaker this season. Think that Killie might be relegation contenders this year

Key is the midfield, hopefully Deegan will add a bit of steel and the Hounduran pitbull can grow some teeth this season. Still need a striker though, it's a bit risky to rely on Leigh and 2 youngsters

Spike Mandela
05-08-2012, 02:17 PM
Thought we were comfortable for 11th but after today Dundee will be feeling confident.

The Voice Of Reason
05-08-2012, 03:21 PM
Thought we were comfortable for 11th but after today Dundee will be feeling confident.

Yes, I voted 12th even before today's game.

If there was an option for 13th I would now vote for that!

Losers the lot of them.

J-C
05-08-2012, 04:08 PM
Yes, I voted 12th even before today's game.

If there was an option for 13th I would now vote for that!

Losers the lot of them.

:top marks

After a summer of clearouts and 5 new faces ( 3 really ) we're still a soft touch with no heart or fight.

Maybe Fenlon cleared out the wrong players, should've started with Spoony, Sproule, Stevenson, Stephens, Hanlon etc this lot have been ever present this past year or so and are hugely part of the reason we're where we are today.