PDA

View Full Version : Iconic Photographs

1two
27-07-2012, 05:36 PM
Been doing a bit web surfing.

Know the photo of the black man, arm up, fist clenched, head down...?

What's the story behind it.

Also, thought I start a thread to post 'iconic' photos and maybe give a bit background story with it to, just for a bit fun

jodjam
27-07-2012, 05:44 PM
Your avatar is a very iconic image :greengrin

danhibees1875
27-07-2012, 06:39 PM

Also, thought I start a thread to post 'iconic' photos and maybe give a bit background story with it to, just for a bit fun

I think a lot of people have done such a pose. I assume the one your talking about is the one that appears to be on the podium at the olympics(topical) and 2 of the 3 are doing the pose.

I wouldn't want to hazard a guess, but I will anyway, is it a symbol of Black empowerment?

Betty Boop
29-07-2012, 08:08 PM

Tommy Smith and John Carlos, who raised their fists to show solidarity with Black Power, resulting in them being expelled from the Olympic Games.

Pretty Boy
30-07-2012, 12:53 PM
Tommy Smith and John Carlos, who raised their fists to show solidarity with Black Power, resulting in them being expelled from the Olympic Games.

Peter Norman, the 3rd man in the photograph, who was an Aussie 200M champion also wore an OPHR badge to show support.

The OPHR (Olympic Project for Human Rights) was aimed at raising awareness off and ending segregation in the Southern United States, protesting apartheid in South Africa and ending racism and segregation in sport in general.

He was banned for 2 years, shunned by the Aussie media and despite continually running qualifying times left out of the following Olympics, the Aussies sent no male sprinters.

Smith and Carlos gave speeches at his.funeral and the date of his death is designated Peter Norman day by the US Track and Field Federation.

Something of the forgotten hero.

hibbybrian
30-07-2012, 04:01 PM
Peter Norman, the 3rd man in the photograph, who was an Aussie 200M champion also wore an OPHR badge to show support.

The OPHR (Olympic Project for Human Rights) was aimed at raising awareness off and ending segregation in the Southern United States, protesting apartheid in South Africa and ending racism and segregation in sport in general.

He was banned for 2 years, shunned by the Aussie media and despite continually running qualifying times left out of the following Olympics, the Aussies sent no male sprinters.

Smith and Carlos gave speeches at his.funeral and the date of his death is designated Peter Norman day by the US Track and Field Federation.

Thanks for that - I'd never heard the story :aok:

Hanny
30-07-2012, 04:39 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968_Olympics_Black_Power_salute

wpj
31-07-2012, 12:44 PM
There's a movie coming out in cimemas and DVD this month about Peter Norman, I think it's a re release

http://salutethemovie.com/

Future17
01-08-2012, 12:31 PM

There's a movie coming out in cimemas and DVD this month about Peter Norman, I think it's a re release

http://salutethemovie.com/

I had never heard that story either, despite having read about the photograph previously.

I think the movie blurb from the website sums it up; "there were three men on the dais that day not just two. Two black and one white. It shows that History needs to rethink the power of this image once again. Does make the image seem even more important now knowing of Norman's involvement.

Will try to watch this if I can get my hands on it.

Pretty Boy
01-08-2012, 01:26 PM
I had never heard that story either, despite having read about the photograph previously.

I think the movie blurb from the website sums it up; "there were three men on the dais that day not just two. Two black and one white. It shows that History needs to rethink the power of this image once again. Does make the image seem even more important now knowing of Norman's involvement.

Will try to watch this if I can get my hands on it.

There's a statue at San Jose University of the protest in which the 3rd step on the podium is left empty. There was a campaign a while back to get Norman added but not sure how active it is. Seems a shame to me, there were 3 brave men that day who took a common stand regardless of skin colour.

There's also a mural in Sydney which depicts all 3 men, its.currently under threat of demolition although there is a campaign to secure heritage status for it to go some way to protecting it.