PDA

View Full Version : Should we convert David Stephens to play centre forward?

spike220
27-07-2012, 03:58 PM
I think we should have a go at converting Stephens to play centre forward. He could be our target man up front and I think he would draw a few defenders and be a bit of a handful. It has got to be worth a whirl. He is reasonable in the air and is quick, I think we could make more of him, he is a big lump of a guy and we should be trying to get him on the park. Our squad has looked like an audition for the seven dwarves pantomime for far too long. He could learn off the other centre forwards and could surprise us all.

GGTTH

Spike Mandela
27-07-2012, 03:59 PM
How about a prop forward?:wink:

Supraninja
27-07-2012, 04:04 PM
He was once used as centre forward by Hughes as a replacement for Nish and did every bit as good as Colin had been diong up to that point.... which wasn't spectacular.... Stephens did spend less time on his arse though :dunno:

SRHibs
27-07-2012, 04:06 PM
No.

Malthibby
27-07-2012, 04:11 PM
Yes.

Hibstrooper
27-07-2012, 04:12 PM
Maybe.

Offside Trap
27-07-2012, 04:12 PM
I think we should have a go at converting Stephens to play centre forward. He could be our target man up front and I think he would draw a few defenders and be a bit of a handful. It has got to be worth a whirl. He is reasonable in the air and is quick, I think we could make more of him, he is a big lump of a guy and we should be trying to get him on the park. Our squad has looked like an audition for the seven dwarves pantomime for far too long. He could learn off the other centre forwards and could surprise us all.

GGTTH

An interesting thought.

It prompts me to think about what type of football wee Pat wants us to play. He talks a lot about having the right type of characters, resilience and leadership within the team, but I must confess I'm not sure I'm clear what type of football he favours to see us actually win games (as opposed to just avoiding defeat). Does he favour a passing game...or more direct?

If the latter then Stephens up front isn't a bad shout.

Benny Brazil
27-07-2012, 04:18 PM
Here's a novel idea - why dont we play players in their natural position? And if we dont have someone for that position - we go and get one

Finbar
27-07-2012, 04:19 PM
If we're going to have a smaller squad then we need players who can play 2 or 3 different positions.

PeterboroHibee
27-07-2012, 04:23 PM
There are plenty of examples of players who do change position, and whilst its a possibilty, I wouldnt base it just on him being big. He would need to have some sort of attacking positional sense, and the ability to finish. Only Fenlon and the coaches would see something like that in training.

easty
27-07-2012, 04:26 PM
One of the most ridiculous posts ever in my opinion.

Our keepers are always too slow coming off their line, should we try Ivan in goals?

HoboHarry
27-07-2012, 04:27 PM
Ye Gods......

wearethehibs
27-07-2012, 04:31 PM

Our keepers are always too slow coming off their line, should we try Ivan in goals?

Well I think its quite an interesting post.

Didnt Collins do this with Stevenson? LB into a CM?

I think Pros should be able to play in a few different positions if needed.

Gala Foxes
27-07-2012, 04:32 PM
Guy has looked slow and cumbersome since day one - lets face it he looks like a lower league player, if he hasn't got the mobility to play at the back it doesn't follow that he will be any better up front just because he is big - think Eduardo Hurtado

I've maybe got the phrase wrong but did Eddie Turnbull not say "you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear"

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-07-2012, 04:32 PM
Ltyf! Ffs!

Aldo
27-07-2012, 04:36 PM
Why when you can just play Caldwell there.

easty
27-07-2012, 04:39 PM
Guy has looked slow and cumbersome since day one - lets face it he looks like a lower league player, if he hasn't got the mobility to play at the back it doesn't follow that he will be any better up front just because he is big - think Eduardo Hurtado

I've maybe got the phrase wrong but did Eddie Turnbull not say "you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear"

You're beIng very harsh on Hurtado actually. He was an international standard striker at one point. Stephens is a centre half who's looked humpty at best in that position. Maybe it could be a new first for Hibs though...we take a **** signing, who's failed to get into the team in his own position and then try him in every position before we get rid?

HoboHarry
27-07-2012, 04:39 PM
I often wonder if some of the people who start posts like this are just bonkers or have an overwhelming need for attention.

Jay
27-07-2012, 04:49 PM
I often wonder if some of the people who start posts like this are just bonkers or have an overwhelming need for attention.

Thats a bit harsh. My fifteen year old was aying almist exactly what the op says just this afternoon. I was convinced spike had been listening in when I read the thread title.

Wilson
27-07-2012, 04:49 PM
Lets convert him into a football player first.

Offside Trap
27-07-2012, 04:55 PM

No need. Perfectly fair post putting an opinion out there. Kevin Kyle (for example) is hardly a case study in finesse or mobility yet scored a barrowload in the SPL.

NAE NOOKIE
27-07-2012, 05:11 PM
I remember that match where Stephens played up front for a bit and he looked OK for that wee while.

I also remember Dundee Utd used to chuck Lee Wilkie up front when they were chasing a game, they did it at ER more than once and the guy was always a handfull.

I dont see anything daft in trying new things with players, there have been a few guys who have become better players when moved Gordon Rae started his professional career as a striker did he not? Got to admit I cant think of too many centre halfs who have made the transition the other way though.

Mark79
27-07-2012, 05:13 PM
Ha ha ha ha. Thats all.

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-07-2012, 05:15 PM
The thread is still open, dearie me!

wearethehibs
27-07-2012, 05:34 PM
There areny have a load of twats on .net eh. The guy has posted a reasonable thread IMO. Some of you need to grow up ffs.

ronaldo7
27-07-2012, 05:36 PM
Gordon Rae springs to mind:wink:

HoboHarry
27-07-2012, 05:42 PM
There areny have a load of twats on .net eh. The guy has posted a reasonable thread IMO. Some of you need to grow up ffs.
Yes, you are quite right. We should all aspire to attain your level of eloquence when we grow up.

easty
27-07-2012, 05:42 PM

Equally I could say there are an awful lot of ****ing idiots on hibs.net eh? Some of them need to actually watch David Stephens and get a grip... ffs.

kaimendhibs
27-07-2012, 05:47 PM

Gordon Rae could play centre forward and centre half and if my memory serves me right, Willie Jamieson was the same.
Worth a bash I reckon

Saorsa
27-07-2012, 05:50 PM
Gordon Rae could play centre forward and centre half and if my memory serves me right, Willie Jamieson was the same.
Worth a bash I reckonThere's the flaw :wink:

Mark79
27-07-2012, 05:50 PM
Ha ha ha ha. Thats all.

spike220
27-07-2012, 06:02 PM

Quick its the thought police, better stick to the normal thread topics of: shall I buy my season ticket (or not) or Anything about Deeks OR something about Rangers or the Jambos!

easty
27-07-2012, 06:08 PM
Quick its the thought police, better stick to the normal thread topics of: shall I buy my season ticket (or not) or Anything about Deeks OR something about Rangers or the Jambos!

Bit of a contradiction, no?

hibbybrian
27-07-2012, 06:08 PM
No need. Perfectly fair post putting an opinion out there. Kevin Kyle (for example) is hardly a case study in finesse or mobility yet scored a barrowload in the SPL.

I don't think we can expect him to score a barrow load of goals but he might upset the defense and goals could result

I remember that match where Stephens played up front for a bit and he looked OK for that wee while. I also remember Dundee Utd used to chuck Lee Wilkie up front when they were chasing a game, they did it at ER more than once and the guy was always a handfull.

I dont see anything daft in trying new things with players, there have been a few guys who have become better players when moved Gordon Rae started his professional career as a striker did he not? Got to admit I cant think of too many centre halfs who have made the transition the other way though.

Gordon Rae was indeed centre-forward in the reserves at Hibs and scored a cracker at Tanadichie for the first team which was featured on one of the best goals ever DVDs

Would that be the same Eddie Turnbull who played Erich Schaedler at centre-forward for a game to gain an advantage against the Pars and which resulted in a Hibs win?

:agree:

Not suggesting he be the new centre-forward we all want but he could be used in certain games to side track the opposition - if they were expecting a lightweight tippy tappy forward line from Hibs and set there stall accordingly maybe his presence would disrupt their plans.

He was once used as centre forward by Hughes as a replacement for Nish and did every bit as good as Colin had been diong up to that point.... which wasn't spectacular.... Stephens did spend less time on his arse though :dunno:

Here's a novel idea - why dont we play players in their natural position? And if we dont have someone for that position - we go and get one

If we can't afford one, maybe we should look at other possibilities - and I believe McPake started out as a centre-forward so maybe we should play him up front :wink:

If we're going to have a smaller squad then we need players who can play 2 or 3 different positions.

Thats a bit harsh. My fifteen year old was saying almost exactly what the op says just this afternoon. I was convinced spike had been listening in when I read the thread title.

I reckon your 15 year old has a future in footie :greengrin

Saorsa
27-07-2012, 06:09 PM
If we're going to have a smaller squad then we need players who can play 2 or 3 different positions.we could just stop there.

NAE NOOKIE
27-07-2012, 06:14 PM
Cant believe the stick the OP is getting from some folk on here. Not to mention a poster getting their spelling kritasized as a retort to what he / she posted.

This is the most bloody annoying thing I ever see on here. Not everybody on H.Net is a member of bloody MENSA and I hate the thought that anybody would be put off from posting ( no matter how Tom Kite their idea might be ) because they might get a slagging from a bunch of sodding smart alecs, who, instead of posting a measured and thought out response, can only go down the pathetic avenue of poking fun at their spelling.

Rant over.

yekimevol
27-07-2012, 06:22 PM
big sam played samba up their for a bit at blackburn cause he never had a target man and that worked out ok. Give the lad a chance and see if it works, i remember mogga putting jones up front when we were behind a few times. Mcpake was a cf at livi before a injury crisis and he was brought back and has been a cb ever since and that worked out ok.

People should be given chances, The youth team and the current first team.

spike220
27-07-2012, 06:24 PM
Bit of a contradiction, no?

Bit of a contradiction, no - Yes that is a contradiction, no?

Macaroon
27-07-2012, 06:39 PM

Really made me laugh that one :hilarious

Billychaotic182
27-07-2012, 06:43 PM
Cant believe the stick the OP is getting from some folk on here. Not to mention a poster getting their spelling kritasized as a retort to what he / she posted.

This is the most bloody annoying thing I ever see on here. Not everybody on H.Net is a member of bloody MENSA and I hate the thought that anybody would be put off from posting ( no matter how Tom Kite their idea might be ) because they might get a slagging from a bunch of sodding smart alecs, who, instead of posting a measured and thought out response, can only go down the pathetic avenue of poking fun at their spelling.

Rant over.

100% agree with mate. As someone with dyslexia I often worry about spelling mistakes on my posts as I have seen others get ripped a new one if there spelling or grammar is not up to scratch. It's a shame to see someone ask his fellow supports something only to be completely put down and slagged!

hibbybrian
27-07-2012, 06:45 PM

Peter Cormack did OK when required to take over in goals - but he was more valuable to the team in midfield :greengrin

SouthamptonHibs
27-07-2012, 06:45 PM
We can't be that desperate can we? 2012-13 looking worse than 2011-12. Hope county and Dundee r mince

Hibee87
27-07-2012, 06:46 PM
Mcpake started his career as a striker and was converted to ch just saying likes. Imo David Stephens has somthing in there but I'd say a defensive mid would suit him more

PeterboroHibee
27-07-2012, 06:57 PM
big sam played samba up their for a bit at blackburn cause he never had a target man and that worked out ok. Give the lad a chance and see if it works, i remember mogga putting jones up front when we were behind a few times. Mcpake was a cf at livi before a injury crisis and he was brought back and has been a cb ever since and that worked out ok.

People should be given chances, The youth team and the current first team.

Putting a big CB upfront when you are behind is a bit different though. The ball is just getting hoofed up the pitch in the hope that they win headers, and either score or flick it to one of the other strikers.

Actually converting a CB to a striker who will be playing the whole game up front would be more difficult. Theyd have to have the positional sense in the box to get on the end of crosses etc, and have the ability to finish chances that fall to them. Just because Stephens is big, it doesnt mean he would be any good at scoring (although you never know!).

greenginger
27-07-2012, 07:08 PM
Putting a big CB upfront when you are behind is a bit different though. The ball is just getting hoofed up the pitch in the hope that they win headers, and either score or flick it to one of the other strikers.

Actually converting a CB to a striker who will be playing the whole game up front would be more difficult. Theyd have to have the positional sense in the box to get on the end of crosses etc, and have the ability to finish chances that fall to them. Just because Stephens is big, it doesnt mean he would be any good at scoring (although you never know!).

Scored at East End Park the first game I ever saw him play. Trying him at centre forward is not the stupidest suggestion, but I would think it would have been tried in practice matches by now.

500miles
27-07-2012, 07:28 PM
David Stephens is a laddie with a bit of potential. He's young and he's not had a lot of competative football, so he's not really ironed out the inconsistancies in his game.

The fact is, ER is a poisonous place for young players to try and make the break through right now. The fans have no patience, the mismanagement of Hughes and Calderwood, and the poor examples of un-professional senior players, are not encouraging influences.

I'm not saying he's going to be the next Jones or Bamba, but the laddie has the raw materials to make it - strength, height and pace. He's a Welsh youth regular, and was highly thought of at Norwich before he joined us. BUT he will make mistakes.

For me, I'd be getting him involved at centre half this season, and pushing Hanlon out left a bit more. Booth and Kujabi provide a more attacking option at fullback if that's what we want, and perhaps even offer something higher up the park.

But the only way anyone can reasonably suggest playing Stephens up front is if they've seen him show the right qualities in training. Otherwise, they're just clutching at straws.

Jonnyboy
27-07-2012, 07:37 PM
Colin Stein started life as a full back

Bobby Duncan started life as a forward

Paul Hanlon was a central midfielder

Examples of players being moved to benefit both themselves and the team.

Perhaps the OP realised we could do with a target man option but felt young Caldwell lacks the experience at the moment and that Hibs don't really have the money to buy one in.

It was a suggestion. Hardly merits some of the aggressive negative responses though IMO

HoboHarry
27-07-2012, 07:59 PM
100% agree with mate. As someone with dyslexia I often worry about spelling mistakes on my posts as I have seen others get ripped a new one if there spelling or grammar is not up to scratch. It's a shame to see someone ask his fellow supports something only to be completely put down and slagged!
I was the poster who mentioned eloquence and if you and the other poster thought that I was referring to the spelling then I despair. I was alluding to those who feel it is appropriate to call others t**ts and other such names. Seriously, (and only if it is me you were referring to), how could you possibly overlook the abuse and only see the spelling errors as a flaw in the original post?

Gala Foxes
27-07-2012, 08:41 PM
Gordon Rae springs to mind:wink:

David Stephens could'nt lace Gordon Rae's boots

truehibernian
27-07-2012, 09:00 PM
Having witnessed one of the worst central defensive performances I have seen at this level of football from David (v St Johnstone at home in 3-2 loss), and the second worst (Aberdeen at home 1-3 Eddie's tribute game), I think the lad has to concentrate on becoming a defender first and foremost.

Personally I don't berate or bad mouth players at games - as 500miles said ER can be quite a poisonous atmosphere for any player when not playing well - but I happen to think that DS is a poor footballer. Quite one paced for a big lad, I don't think he really attacks the ball at either end of the pitch, and I think he epitomises the phrase 'switching off'. Far far too lax as a defender and his awareness of players running behind or across him is poor. Plays too square and flat (and blinkered).

I was kind of hoping he would be one of the players asked to leave. Doesn't (like all the players) deserve flak at games though i.e constant abuse. But not a good player - Jordan Forster has bags more ability and is tough as **** for a young lad.

Holmesdale Hibs
27-07-2012, 09:06 PM

Agree with this. I could see Stephens being effective if we were a goal down with 5min left and lumping it in to the box but can't see him scoring enough goals if played there permanently. Personally, I'd rather see Griffiths up front with Doyle or a new signing if we have one.

Feed McGraw
27-07-2012, 09:10 PM

Perhaps the OP realised we could do with a target man option but felt young Caldwell lacks the experience at the moment and that Hibs don't really have the money to buy one in.

It was a suggestion. Hardly merits some of the aggressive negative responses though IMO

Sorry Jonny, but you mention Colin Stein, Bobby Duncan then PAUL HANLON !! If Paul Hanlon was a central midfielder he should`ve stayed there or consider going back there. I don`t really get the connection with those legends.

Having said that it would make a lot more sense considering Hanlon moving into midfield than Stephens becoming a centre forward ! Remember we were promised a new Hibs after the apocalypse of the 19th and a week before the season starts THIS is the kind of thing that we`re debating.

Billychaotic182
27-07-2012, 09:34 PM
I was the poster who mentioned eloquence and if you and the other poster thought that I was referring to the spelling then I despair. I was alluding to those who feel it is appropriate to call others t**ts and other such names. Seriously, (and only if it is me you were referring to), how could you possibly overlook the abuse and only see the spelling errors as a flaw in the original post?

I wasn't talking about you personally I was marking saying that there are a lot of posters on here who love to find flaws in people's posts

Geo_1875
27-07-2012, 09:43 PM
I was going go start a new thread but thought it might fit well on here.

I think someone should sit Easty down in front of a TV showing all the BBC coverage of the Olympics and ask him to pick a new sport as he is a complete and utter failure as a football fan.
He has no understanding of most of the basics and of any of the more complex parts of the game.

Anyway, I think Stephens is a good defender for his young age. He played out of his skin and was pro ably our best player in a couple of games last year when he'd been unfairly booked for his first challenge. I do recall the game against Motherwell on opening day when he replaced Nish as we tried to close out the game and he didn't lose a challenge or get his shorts dirty. Wouldn't be my first choice up front but could be an option.

Iggy Pope
27-07-2012, 09:44 PM
Playing him at CF is a great idea. The further away this ****ing nightmare is from our end the better.

easty
27-07-2012, 09:47 PM
I was going go start a new thread but thought it might fit well on here.

I think someone should sit Easty down in front of a TV showing all the BBC coverage of the Olympics and ask him to pick a new sport as he is a complete and utter failure as a football fan.
He has no understanding of most of the basics and of any of the more complex parts of the game.

Anyway, I think Stephens is a good defender for his young age. He played out of his skin and was pro ably our best player in a couple of games last year when he'd been unfairly booked for his first challenge. I do recall the game against Motherwell on opening day when he replaced Nish as we tried to close out the game and he didn't lose a challenge or get his shorts dirty. Wouldn't be my first choice up front but could be an option.

:aok: :faf:

Geo_1875
27-07-2012, 10:48 PM
So do you disagree with anything there or not?

calamitus
27-07-2012, 11:22 PM
[QUOTE=easty;3306017]:aok:

Do most professional footballers not play as forwards growing up?

I know we like to portray these guys as
poor/average/not hibs class, but the reality is that they're so much better than everyone else when they're at school, they and up playing for about 9 years up front, because that's where they do most damage.

I'd think that most professional players can play up front ok for that reason.

Admittedly, I left school in 1987, so coaching might be a bit more sophisticated these days than the old 'stick the best player up front' tactic

easty
27-07-2012, 11:35 PM
So do you disagree with anything there or not?

You could say that, aye.

easty
27-07-2012, 11:43 PM
[QUOTE=easty;3306017]:aok:

Do most professional footballers not play as forwards growing up?

I know we like to portray these guys as
poor/average/not hibs class, but the reality is that they're so much better than everyone else when they're at school, they and up playing for about 9 years up front, because that's where they do most damage.

I'd think that most professional players can play up front ok for that reason.

Admittedly, I left school in 1987, so coaching might be a bit more sophisticated these days than the old 'stick the best player up front' tactic

Aye, but when those players are up front at school, they're playing against the likes of me and you. Against fatties and folk who are only playing 'cos thier dad wants them to play football. Being able to do well up front back then doesnt prove much.

Besides, if we were going to revert to the school football tactics of throwing the best player available up front, then David Stephens wouldn't be near the top of the list, would he?

hibee92
28-07-2012, 02:04 AM
No.

Yes.

Maybe.

This had me in hysterics.

Lets convert him into a football player first.

I rate Stephens, but this also had me in hysterics.

:top marks for all.

Edit: Never even gave my view on the topic. I do rate Stephens as a centre-half. He's still young and looks decent.

Lucius Apuleius
28-07-2012, 05:39 AM

Was just about to post that. Had trials at the Binos as a full back but was told he was useless.:agree:

Septimus
28-07-2012, 05:49 AM
Seem to recall that Scotland played Ron Yates at centre forward against Italy in one occasion without much success. I wonder what Lawrie Reilly thinks of this debate.

lucky
28-07-2012, 06:45 AM
Stephens does not have the football brain to play CF. He struggles at CH. FFS Sean O Hanlon has been selected by two managers before him at his natural position. Not going to make at ER. Next week thread will be can we convert DS into Tam McCourts assistant

Bostonhibby
28-07-2012, 07:32 AM

Was trying to think of something credible to post on this thread, and that's the one :greengrin

I ain't going to have a go at the young guy but Gordon was an established player, very capable defender & leader with an eye for goal. He could play a bit and is exactly what we need now.

The difference here is that we knew he could play and what he could deliver in positions if the need arose, he did however have a role in the team where he was probably our best in the position. We had the luxury of being able to move him around if we had to because he could do it. Not convinced we have that same luxury now, we'd be taking a chance because there's no one else, not a great help to the guys confidence if he doesn't do well there.

Brooster
28-07-2012, 07:43 AM
James McPake, Paul Hanlon, Tim Clancy, Sean O'Hanlan and Jordan Forster are all better centre halfs than Stephens. Eoin Doyle, Ross Caldwell, Leigh Griffiths and Danny Handling are all better strikers than David Stephens. In my opinion Stephens isn't good enough to play anywhere in the Hibs line up, he is mistake prone, slow on the ball and in 2 seasons obviously hasnt had the desire to get fit because he looks like the side of a house. If we are to improve we wont do it with guys like this in the team.

Scouse Hibee
28-07-2012, 08:30 AM
Well done to the OP, I like your thinking of utilising players in what is obviously going to be a small squad with lack of decent cover in many positions. The thought of throwing a centre half up front is hardly a new one and doesn't deserve the ridicule from some on here.

Heisenberg
28-07-2012, 08:40 AM
James McPake, Paul Hanlon, Tim Clancy, Sean O'Hanlan and Jordan Forster are all better centre halfs than Stephens. Eoin Doyle, Ross Caldwell, Leigh Griffiths and Danny Handling are all better strikers than David Stephens. In my opinion Stephens isn't good enough to play anywhere in the Hibs line up, he is mistake prone, slow on the ball and in 2 seasons obviously hasnt had the desire to get fit because he looks like the side of a house. If we are to improve we wont do it with guys like this in the team.

Totally agree. If the manager thinks Stephens is the correct player to partner Mcpake at the start of the season ill be worried.

NAE NOOKIE
28-07-2012, 09:20 AM

It was your post I was thinking of when I posted my wee rant HH ..... I apologise to you because in my haste I didnt stop to re read what you had said and you are right ... you didnt chib the guys spelling.

My post still holds true in a general sense though.:greengrin

PeterboroHibee
28-07-2012, 11:14 AM

Stephens might not end up making it for us, but hes 20, played hardly any games, and some of our fans, as per usual, have completely written a player off. Ridiculous.

Whenever Ive seen him, theres usually two sides to his game. Anything over the top and he usually beats most strikers. He seems to have reasonable pace along with that, so theres definite potential there. The other side however, that he seems to have more problems with, is concentration, and sometimes getting into a bit of a panic when hes on the ball. I imagine that can be sorted with coaching, and having someone like McPake alongside him, who can talk him through games. They also need protection from the midfield (something they dont get from the current players), so hopefully Fenlon can come up with a system to try and help out whoevers in defence.

lucky
28-07-2012, 01:53 PM
He is struggling today and was caught out for the second goal.

miller99
28-07-2012, 02:35 PM
While we are at why don't we try and covert O'Halon into a centre forward as well. Proved he can score goals with his goal against the dons last season.

--------
28-07-2012, 02:52 PM
Worth a bash I reckon

Yes, both of them played both CF and CH. Gogs was the better player, IMO.

Going from the ridiculous (kind of) to the sublime, another Welsh player who played in both positions was the late great John Charles. So it IS possible.

David Stephens is a laddie with a bit of potential. He's young and he's not had a lot of competative football, so he's not really ironed out the inconsistancies in his game.

The fact is, ER is a poisonous place for young players to try and make the break through right now. The fans have no patience, the mismanagement of Hughes and Calderwood, and the poor examples of un-professional senior players, are not encouraging influences.

I'm not saying he's going to be the next Jones or Bamba, but the laddie has the raw materials to make it - strength, height and pace. He's a Welsh youth regular, and was highly thought of at Norwich before he joined us. BUT he will make mistakes.

For me, I'd be getting him involved at centre half this season, and pushing Hanlon out left a bit more. Booth and Kujabi provide a more attacking option at fullback if that's what we want, and perhaps even offer something higher up the park.

But the only way anyone can reasonably suggest playing Stephens up front is if they've seen him show the right qualities in training. Otherwise, they're just clutching at straws.

Exactly. And the Net can be a pretty poisonous place for anyone to suggest anything even a little off-beat or unusual - gotta toe the party line these days.

My experience would suggest that a centre-half's likely to possess some of the qualities required by a target-man centre-forward, which is why occasionally managers push their central defenders up front if they're chasing a game.

But I would agree with you that DS needs to learn his trade in ONE position before trying out for another. And that the only people who can make a reasonable assessment as to whether he can play as CF are those who've seen him play there in training.

NOLA
28-07-2012, 04:28 PM
we should convert him to play centre half :wink:

sahib
28-07-2012, 04:43 PM
Worth a bash I reckon

Both started as forwards and Rae had a terrific shot on him and scored some great goals. He also got fairly good at CH as time went on. I would not talk about them as great players that is really looking back with rose coloured glasses.

blackpoolhibs
28-07-2012, 04:47 PM
Was the back 4 that started today, Clancy McPake Stephens and Hanlon? If so, i'd guess with next week our first game in the SPL, that will be the 4 defenders we will start with?

hibees 7062
28-07-2012, 05:28 PM
we should convert him to play centre half :wink:

Is he not just 20 years old ?

ronaldo7
28-07-2012, 05:38 PM

Hence the wink lala:wink:

Baldy Foghorn
28-07-2012, 05:41 PM
Was the back 4 that started today, Clancy McPake Stephens and Hanlon? If so, i'd guess with next week our first game in the SPL, that will be the 4 defenders we will start with?

It was G....Was the same starting 11 that started vs Berlin....Will be the same 11 against United, unless anyone picks up an injury, or we sign someone who walks right in....

silverhibee
28-07-2012, 05:42 PM

:nanafunk::nanasplit: :banana::nanawave:

ronaldo7
28-07-2012, 05:47 PM

And any united scout watching our matches will target Stephens. The laddie doesn't concentrate enough on the game and wanders out of position. He's young, but needs to work on his concentration levels. McPake looked hacked off with him and Clancy today.

BEEJ
28-07-2012, 05:54 PM
It was G....Was the same starting 11 that started vs Berlin....Will be the same 11 against United, unless anyone picks up an injury, or we sign someone who walks right in....
At least your sense of humour is holding up through all this ....

:wink:

blackpoolhibs
28-07-2012, 05:58 PM

:aok:

leggeto
28-07-2012, 06:53 PM

GGTTH

he is total colin nish, i would close the curtains if i seen him playing in the back garden:flag:

Baldy Foghorn
28-07-2012, 07:10 PM
he is total colin nish, i would close the curtains if i seen him playing in the back garden:flag:

Wonder if you are the wag, that shouted at DS in 1st half, that he was a rugby player?

leggeto
28-07-2012, 07:40 PM
Wonder if you are the wag, that shouted at DS in 1st half, that he was a rugby player?

he is prob rubbish at egg chasin too mate:flag::flag:

Jonnyboy
28-07-2012, 09:32 PM
Sorry Jonny, but you mention Colin Stein, Bobby Duncan then PAUL HANLON !! If Paul Hanlon was a central midfielder he should`ve stayed there or consider going back there. I don`t really get the connection with those legends.

Having said that it would make a lot more sense considering Hanlon moving into midfield than Stephens becoming a centre forward ! Remember we were promised a new Hibs after the apocalypse of the 19th and a week before the season starts THIS is the kind of thing that we`re debating.

The connection was simply that they started off in one role but progressed to another.

Hibs On Tour
28-07-2012, 11:06 PM

23 in 62? In 4 seasons. Barrowload? Hmmm... :wink:

LioNeilMessi
29-07-2012, 01:04 AM
I rate Stephens. Mostly because I met him one Tuesday night on George St and he wasn't drinking :not worth Unheard of up here. He is a big pacey lad so it maybe could work.

Kyle A
29-07-2012, 01:15 AM
Sauzee was a right midfielder in his early career. Lost his pace and became a defender/sweeper.

Roberto carlos was a left back and currently plays as a holding midfielder.

Granted this was becasue they got older and lost their pace but goes to show. Sometimes it works

Also Im sure I remember Lee Wilkie going up front for Dundee utd for the last 30 minutes at a games at Easter Road

Darren Mcgregor was our striker at school and now he is a rock in the St Mirren defence.

Anyone know of any other examples?

Gala Foxes
29-07-2012, 07:49 AM
I thought McPake's reaction to the 2nd Huddersfield goal was a bit strange, my take of it was Stephens lost Scannell and he went on and scored. When the goal went in McPake (and Stephens) had a pop at Clancy.I must have missed Clancy's role in the goal but I saw Stephens lose a head start on Scannell.

Scannell was a class act though - best player on the park by a mile

erin go bragh
29-07-2012, 09:24 AM

:confused: Cause that really helps settle a 20 year old's nerves :cb

ggtth

GreenOnions
29-07-2012, 09:51 AM
I thought Stephens didn't play well yesterday and still looks raw. However, I am also aware that he has played well for us on occasion and is still young and inexperienced so he should be given more time.

I think that the main reason he is considered the most suitable partner at the moment for McPake is to do with his height though.

We are rarely a team with a lot of height but, since losing O'Connor and Osbourne we are even smaller than usual. His ability to defend set peieces and high balls may be the key factor at the moment?

Steven_Hibs
29-07-2012, 09:52 AM
And any united scout watching our matches will target Stephens. The laddie doesn't concentrate enough on the game and wanders out of position. He's young, but needs to work on his concentration levels. McPake looked hacked off with him and Clancy today.

The Utd scout will be targeting Hanlon, cause he's brutal :rolleyes:. A traffic cone has better positional sense :greengrin

Baldy Foghorn
29-07-2012, 10:16 AM
I thought McPake's reaction to the 2nd Huddersfield goal was a bit strange, my take of it was Stephens lost Scannell and he went on and scored. When the goal went in McPake (and Stephens) had a pop at Clancy.I must have missed Clancy's role in the goal but I saw Stephens lose a head start on Scannell.

Agree, he was immense, I thought I recognised him, but when I heard his name, I must have been thinking of someone else....

Baldy Foghorn
29-07-2012, 10:18 AM
:confused: Cause that really helps settle a 20 year old's nerves :cb

ggtth

Indeed, you wonder why some bother going to matches, especially friendlies, to abuse our players....

As an aside PF took some heavy abuse after the Leuven match last Saturday. Why travel to Belgium to slate the gaffer?

blackpoolhibs
29-07-2012, 12:18 PM
Indeed, you wonder why some bother going to matches, especially friendlies, to abuse our players....

As an aside PF took some heavy abuse after the Leuven match last Saturday. Why travel to Belgium to slate the gaffer?

Deary me, its one thing to talk about your feelings on a message board, but to travel hundreds of miles to do that is ridiculous. :crazy:

Jonnyboy
29-07-2012, 03:14 PM

My guess is that they'd be annoyed at TC because the goalscorer found acres of room where TC should have been.

As an aside, it's interesting that not much has been made of the first goal we lost, which came about because both of our central defenders were caught napping :wink:

GoldenMeerkat
29-07-2012, 03:25 PM
Bewildering that we release young players like Ewan Moyes, yet we still play David Stephens who lacks any defensive positioning or awareness.

scoopyboy
29-07-2012, 03:28 PM
The Utd scout will be targeting Hanlon, cause he's brutal :rolleyes:. A traffic cone has better positional sense :greengrin

Oh dear.

edwards
29-07-2012, 03:38 PM
Stephens a forward yer havin a laugh, evryone is entitled to their own opinion, Can't be bothered with this not over critisising players on the site. If Fenlon persists wi Stephens in the centre of defence we will get punished accordingly. Far to slow and when a forward gets past him the game is up the pole he has a poor recovery rate and a goal is on the cards.
Get O'hanlon into the centre of defence. :wink:

Feed McGraw
29-07-2012, 04:14 PM
The connection was simply that they started off in one role but progressed to another.

Fair enough Jonny, I`m not a big Hanlon fan so kinda just jumped in there. Maybe this season he will win me over. Hope so.