PDA

View Full Version : What do we expect as Hibs fans?

Diclonius
26-07-2012, 11:39 PM
Just interested to see what us as the fans see as a minimum requirement from the club.

I'd have to go for these three, in order from most to least important:

1: Top 4 finish in SPL
2: Winning record against Hearts
3: Semi final of at least one cup

Failure to meet at least two of these would be a failed season - unless we win a cup. Therefore, in the last ten years:

11/12: Failure (only 3 met)
10/11: Failure (none met)
09/10: Failure (only 1 met)
08/09: Failure (only 2 met)
07/08: Failure (1 and 3 not met, equal record against Hearts)
06/07: Success (won League Cup, 1 and 2 not met)
05/06: Success (1 and 3 met)
04/05: Success (1 and 3 met, equal record against Hearts)
03/04: Failure (only 3 met)
02/03: Failure (none met)

So only 3 out of 10 seasons (by these standards) can be counted as a success - what do you expect from your club?

edinburghhibee
27-07-2012, 12:16 AM
I'm not as hard to please as you I would rather put it like this I never want my hibs team to:

1: finish bottom 6
2: be knocked out a cup by a lower level team
3: show no heart whatsoever in a derby
4: give up
5: lose more than half their games at Easter road

In my opinion we failed on 5 of the 6 thinks I never want to happen to hibs. We have not been good enough for a very long time. It needs to change and I think it will very soon but not this season. Barring any really really poor runs I would give pat a full season and the next Pre season.

He has not walked into an easy job and he has so much rebuilding to do this year. I think it's too much for one Pre season. Just my opinion mind.

JohnStephens91
27-07-2012, 12:28 AM
For me I believe these should be the goals of the club:

1. Finish in the top 6, aiming to get as close to the European places as possible.

2. Win 75% of the games at Easter Road.

3. Win a majority of the derby games.

4. Quarter-finals of a cup competition, along with not being knocked out by a team from a lower division if we do go out before or after then.

5. Score 60 or more league goals.

This I feel will not be happening next season for obvious reasons, but I want Pat to have the time to succeed, he is a quality and proven manager and seems to be doing the right things with the supporters. No matter what the team need us as well, hopefully we will be behind Pat for his future at Hibs and we will see the rewards soon!

:pfgwa :flag:

monktonharp
27-07-2012, 12:31 AM
Hibs have never failed to dissapoint me,cant see that changing anytime soon. top six..to me is almost like giving up if that is your ambition, maybe that's why i'm near the edge when it comes to chucking it.

IWasThere2016
27-07-2012, 03:48 AM
Just interested to see what us as the fans see as a minimum requirement from the club.

Failure to meet at least two of these would be a failed season - unless we win a cup. Therefore, in the last ten years:

So only 3 out of 10 seasons (by these standards) can be counted as a success - what do you expect from your club?

So if it wasn't for the Golden Generation we'd have failed dramatically, and the managerial successes were TM and JC. I think I agree with that.

Just shows the value of a decent scouting network as in that time we added Jones, Boozy, Hogg, Murphy, Zouma, Benji to Deeks, GOC, Broon, KT, Whitty etc.

So, take the Parks (John and car :greengrin) away and Hibs would have a ground like the Muthas, Sheep, Arabs but with a team like, well, we have just now.

Pete
27-07-2012, 04:47 AM
I don't have any "minimum requirements" from the club.

We should be doing better given our relative resources but we've been mismanaged and unlucky that some of our rivals have been artificially boosted.

If pressed then players who want to play for the jersey, a cup more than once every 20 years and people around me who care.

:dunno:

Lucius Apuleius
27-07-2012, 04:57 AM
Expectations? Zero, history tells me I will be disappointed.

Hopes? Different story. Win the league. Win both cups and an extended run in Europe with the ultimate hope that someday we win a European trophy.

VickMackie
27-07-2012, 05:59 AM
Top 6.
QF of one cup.
One exciting player e.g zemmama

PeeJay
27-07-2012, 06:15 AM
Expectations? Zero, history tells me I will be disappointed.

Hopes? Different story. Win the league. Win both cups and an extended run in Europe with the ultimate hope that someday we win a European trophy.

Sums it up perfectly for me :top marks

Gatecrasher
27-07-2012, 06:33 AM
A top 6 finish and a cup run is all I will ever ask of my club, I understand the last few years have been pish but this is where I feel my true colours are shown. Paddy will restore pride to our club.

Www1875hfc
27-07-2012, 06:34 AM
What do we expect as Hibs fans?

What I Would Like To See Is, Passion,Fight And Commitment.

NAE NOOKIE
27-07-2012, 06:51 AM
Based on my experience ........ Nothing

Based on our position as the 4th / 5th biggest club in Scotland:

A top 6 finish and still in contention for a European place when the split comes.

At least the QFs of the cups with a Semi final place every 3rd season.

A minimum 75% home record and 50% away record.

A minimum 50 / 50 derby record.

In the last 5 years we are so short of most of these aims that questions have to be asked with regard to the management of our resources.

The two things that are most disappointing for me in those targets is our abject derby record and our failure to qualify for Europe.

Keep the faith ......... :greengrin

fifehibby7-0
27-07-2012, 07:30 AM
finish 2nd
stuff hearts 3 times (they will be in the bottom 6 come the split)
2 cups win ..................and a family from the middle east who have more cash then sense to buy hibs and spend big:pfgwa

we can all dream (can't we)

blackpoolhibs
27-07-2012, 07:36 AM
Much much better.

PeterboroHibee
27-07-2012, 07:46 AM
First and foremost, Id expect us to be able to put out a team that have some sort of ability, dont drag the clubs name through the mud, and are up for the fight, who dont go hiding whenever it gets a little bit tough. Unfortunately that hasnt happened for a while.

Holmesdale Hibs
27-07-2012, 08:13 AM

What I Would Like To See Is, Passion,Fight And Commitment.

I agree with you although these are all things that I expect to see - passion, fight and commitment should come for free at any football club.

A top 6 finish would be a decent step forward. A more general goal would be a feel factor returning to ER.

Renfrew_Hibby
27-07-2012, 08:27 AM
Look someone has to finnish 1st and someone has to finnish last, everyone else finnishes inbetween. Finances dictate much of whether your nearer the top or closer to the bottom, thats the same the world over.

What do i expect from Hibs, from the guys on the pitch? It doesn't matter if your Real Madrid or Stenhousemuir. I want a team that plays with a pride and commitment in their own performance, players that do themselves justice. Play with a passion and have a sense of duty to their team and supporters who have paid good money and have stuck bye them.
We can talk about being entertained and whether Spoony or Booth are up to it blah blah blah, only after the above is being applied.

In short I expect a team full of pride, passion and commitment, if they can walk off at the end having giving their all then i will be satisfied with their efforts. Results only come if sportsmen and women have these characteristics.

allezsauzee
27-07-2012, 08:49 AM
Entertaining football

Keith_M
27-07-2012, 09:12 AM

Good question and I expect we all have different criteria as to what we want. My criteria would be:

1) To be able to say, at any point in time, over the previous 10 derby matches we won at least as many as we lost.
2) With five games to go in the season, Hibs are still, at the very least, challenging for a European place and that we actually qualify for Europe a minimum of once every two seasons.
3) The football is not completely of the eye-bleeding variety. I've lowered my standard from expecting to see silky soccer :wink:
4) Leaving a Hibs match and thinking that, even if we lost, the Hibs players gave their all.

I don't think those are completely unrealistic expectations for a club, in Scotland, of Hibs relative size.

Bob Box Fish
27-07-2012, 09:30 AM
Used to be challenge for 3rd, cup run and at least a few wins against hearts.

With a weaker side than last season and our current midfield staying up is the only realistic target until the squad is further strengthened.

Good that a few young lads are sniffing around but hope we don't burn them out aka booth when the form dips.

goosefat
27-07-2012, 09:31 AM

Usually, a bit too much.

Mikeystewart
27-07-2012, 09:59 AM
Top 6 minimum, cups are random draws so hard to specify a minimum expectation maybe a trip to hampden at least 1 every 2 years

Jones28
27-07-2012, 10:16 AM
Massive improvement

Then we'll see

marinello59
27-07-2012, 10:25 AM
More wins at home than losses will do for a start. The rest should follow on from that.

RIP
27-07-2012, 10:30 AM
An average SPL finish of 6th or 7th in the SPL over the next 30 years

Why?

Because that's what we've achieved during the past 30 years

Maybe 1 place higher for the next few seasons until Sevco reappear

It's not what I hope but to expect more without strong justification (i.e. Millionaire investment, Fantastic new manager, wonderful youth players) sadly does not seem sensible :boo hoo:

jgl07
27-07-2012, 01:31 PM
1. A top six position in the SPL two season out of three.

2. A top four/European qualification place one season in two.

3. An SFA Cup semi-final appearance one year in three.

4. An SFL Cup semi-final appearance one year in two.

5. An SFA Cup final appearance one year in six.

6. An SFL Cup final appearance one year in five.

7. Relegation battles no more than one year in ten.

The above should be attainable by the fourth best supported club in Scotland (third in the SPL).

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-07-2012, 01:47 PM
Much much better.

Succinct and to the point BH!

HibbyAndy
27-07-2012, 02:07 PM
Just beat THEM for a ****ing change!!!!.

NAE NOOKIE
27-07-2012, 05:22 PM
Just beat THEM for a ****ing change!!!!.

Yes ..... our derby record is a disgrace.

Over the last few years the Yams have outspent us by a lot, but other teams in the SPL are capable of beating them home and away and the one game where a team spending money should have that advantage diluted is a derby because of the fight and passion of the opposition.

You would think !!!

Col2
27-07-2012, 05:34 PM
1. A top six position in the SPL two season out of three.

2. A top four/European qualification place one season in two.

3. An SFA Cup semi-final appearance one year in three.

4. An SFL Cup semi-final appearance one year in two.

5. An SFA Cup final appearance one year in six.

6. An SFL Cup final appearance one year in five.

7. Relegation battles no more than one year in ten.

The above should be attainable by the fourth best supported club in Scotland (third in the SPL).

Good and realistic assessment.

nonshinyfinish
27-07-2012, 05:52 PM
A minimum 75% home record and 50% away record.

That's 71 points. A 'minimum' of 71 points? :dunno:

BoltonHibee
27-07-2012, 05:54 PM
A second place finish now and two good cup runs if not a cup win. European qualification every year

Bobo
27-07-2012, 05:57 PM

I expect to see a Hibs team that's competitive towards the top end of a very poor SPL.

I expect our players to leave the pitch dripping with sweat having worked their balls off to earn their wage by making every team who vist Easter Road know they've been in a game ... no quarter given.

I expect Hibs to put the Jambos in their place and keep them there... weve f@nnied about and tip-toed around them for far too long.

Eyrie
27-07-2012, 06:39 PM
I expect to be disappointed.

I believe we should be averaging fourth in the league and reaching a cup semi final at least every second year, a final every five years and a win every ten at a minimum whilst playing attractive football. And I know that isn't what has happened or will happen.

judas
27-07-2012, 06:52 PM

To be in the top half of the table every season.

To at least equal hearts in face offs

To win a cup every 10 years

judas
27-07-2012, 06:58 PM
Hibs have never failed to dissapoint me,cant see that changing anytime soon. top six..to me is almost like giving up if that is your ambition, maybe that's why i'm near the edge when it comes to chucking it.

I can see why you are considering it. Me too. But for me it is because we are pitiful. If we were a top six team I wold not be considering the end.

Craig_in_Prague
27-07-2012, 07:04 PM
I expect us to be out played and lose nearly every game we play. Thats what the last few years does to you I suppose.

What we should achieve.. (and theres no devine right) is top 5 finishes pretty much 80% of time, one cup semi fairly regular (at least once in 3 years).. win the odd one more than we do.
In general game to game I'd expect us to be competitive home or away. Not be a team others like to play. Win our share of derbies, even just 1 a season. Not lose 4 and 5 goals against old firm and beat them time to time or at least draw once a season. Have some home games that we look like scoring loads of goals even if we dont. Try to play attractive/exciting football. Promote youngsters over more expensive crap journeymen. Make ER a nice experience for all home fans including the best catering possible in the country.
Basically in the end, players deserve to be clapped off the park no matter what.

and then wake up lol

Littlest Hobo
27-07-2012, 07:20 PM
I expect us not to have a proper team in place by the start of the season.

I expect players will be played our of position all over the park to fill in for a lack of activity in the transfer market.

I expect us to be piss poor average, even more so than last season.

I expect PF to be under fire before the first quarter is done.

I expect the board to blame current financial restraints for lack of spending.

I expect more supporters will start walking away from Scottish football.

I fully expect to be proved wrong as I'm rubbish at predicting stuff.

muirhousehibby
27-07-2012, 08:12 PM

I am cautiously optimistic for the new season. Fenlon has invested very little over the summer compared to the amount we have seen move on, I expect James Mcpake, Tim Clancy ,Paul Cairney and Leigh Griffths to be successful. (They have to be! ) Are we a weaker side than last year? no question about it we are. very light on numbers and spl experience.

However, there are still potential problems in the centre of Midfield where Osbourne has yet to been adequately replaced as last season demonstrated it's a problem we never appear to address, this could prove to be the team's Achilles heel.

I expect Players more motivated.:agree:
More Wins at home.
and a nice win against the yams at *****castle. i deserve a bit bragging rights for a while:agree:

Waxy
27-07-2012, 08:12 PM
I expect the men who run Hibs to never give up until we have a fair system regarding tv/placement payments and also a fair voting system.
I expect the men who run Hibs to headhunt the best scout they can to work with our manager,taking their time and listening to many peoples thoughts on this issue before appointing him.
I expect our manager to have full control over all aspects of the football side with no player able to go above the bosses head.
I expect a Hibs player to train as hard as he can.
I expect Hibs to make sure the players eat the right kind of foods at the right time.
I expect no Hibs player to feel inferior to an opposition player no matter who they are.
I expect Hibs to aim to win the league even if it seems extremely hard to do so.
I expect the men who run Hibs will not put up with anyone at the club slacking in their duties and the very high standards expected of them.anything less and they should be shown the door.

C'mon the Hibees.

Sir David Gray
27-07-2012, 09:17 PM
As others have already said, cup draws are pretty random so I wouldn't put a huge amount of emphasis on them, although we should be looking to get to more semis and finals than we have managed in recent years.

Our performances in the league should see us finish consistently in the top four of the SPL. I don't care what anyone says about our performances over the past 20 years or whatever suggesting that we should be about 6th or 7th in the league. For me, we should now be aiming for 2nd place in the league every year. It's unreasonable to think that we'll finish 2nd every year or even 3rd every year but we should be thinking of ourselves as one of the biggest clubs in the country and therefore, for us to be contemplating finishing behind the likes of St Johnstone, Kilmarnock and Inverness for the 3rd year in a row is completely unacceptable.

monktonharp
27-07-2012, 09:28 PM
As others have already said, cup draws are pretty random so I wouldn't put a huge amount of emphasis on them, although we should be looking to get to more semis and finals than we have managed in recent years.

Our performances in the league should see us finish consistently in the top four of the SPL. I don't care what anyone says about our performances over the past 20 years or whatever suggesting that we should be about 6th or 7th in the league. For me, we should now be aiming for 2nd place in the league every year. It's unreasonable to think that we'll finish 2nd every year or even 3rd every year but we should be thinking of ourselves as one of the biggest clubs in the country and therefore, for us to be contemplating finishing behind the likes of St Johnstone, Kilmarnock and Inverness for the 3rd year in a row is completely unacceptable.:agree:I just cant understand why a lot on here are saying...at least a top six:rolleyes:

jamieross
27-07-2012, 11:40 PM
Without going into league placings etc i just want to see a decent team that can win games. Think thats not too much to ask?

The Falcon
28-07-2012, 07:55 AM

So, in theory, we could reach the semi final of the LC. win one and draw two/three against Hearts then get relegated and you would judge that season a success?

The Green Goblin
28-07-2012, 09:12 AM
So, in theory, we could reach the semi final of the LC. win one and draw two/three against Hearts then get relegated and you would judge that season a success?

Yes, but what is your own answer to the op? What do you expect from Hibs?

Phil D. Rolls
28-07-2012, 11:07 AM
I expect the finest wines known to humanity.

Failing that, a team that plays football properly, and every 10 years or so teaches Scotland that thought can outgun muscle any day. (Then we will fall flat on our ***** when it really matters). Who cares - that's the Hibs way, and to me it is who we are.