PDA

View Full Version : Callum Booth (merged)

HibsNutter
20-05-2012, 01:35 PM
What's the story with this lad? Is he injured? Imo a much better left back than kujabi but seems to have been frozen out.

bingo70
20-05-2012, 01:39 PM
What's the story with this lad? Is he injured? Imo a much better left back than kujabi but seems to have been frozen out.

I've heard a couple of times he's maybe not got the best of attitudes off the park, apparently bit too keen on a bevy so that's maybe why he's not had much of an opportunity.

Could be absolute nonsense though, i've never met the guy so hopefully it isn't true but he seems way down the pecking order, been behind Kujabi, Francomb and Hanlon as the option for LB so i'd guess it's not purely down to ability.

Think someone said there's a rumour on the bounce he could be going to Dundee Utd

col02
20-05-2012, 01:41 PM
Lot of people seem to have forgotten his level of performance prior to being frozen out. Talented player going forward but too much too soon for him imho and a reason why Hibernian need a proper reserve league to help our 19's who never seem to be the biggest physically make their way into first team football. That said I hope to see him back next season having worked hard per season as would rather persevere with a talented young guy who may make errors over yet another journeyman pro.

Jack
20-05-2012, 01:44 PM
He's fit and frustrated that he's not been playing first team football.

Hibby 2005
20-05-2012, 01:46 PM
He would have provided a goal scoring threat from midfield, if played there, something sadly lacking yesterday.

Big Ed
20-05-2012, 02:55 PM
He's fit and frustrated that he's not been playing first team football.

As a footballer he is very talented, but never in a million years is he a left back. He cannot tackle and his lack of positional awareness is frightening. If he is to play for the first team again, it has to be in Midfield.

Del Boy
20-05-2012, 03:06 PM
Think someone said there's a rumour on the bounce he could be going to Dundee Utd

Heard the dundee united rumour last week, think that one would come back to haunt us.

Pretty Boy
20-05-2012, 03:13 PM
Heard the dundee united rumour last week, think that one would come back to haunt us.

Surely, if there is any truth in said rumour, we'd be looking for a fair whack of cash? 4 year contract he's on I'm sure.

Hibby_Paul
20-05-2012, 03:34 PM
Be good to hear truth with this one... A talented lad and could been doing a job for us yesterday rather than the awful kujabi.

If he has got of field problems (like most of our so called players) got to cut our loses or give him
A final chance.

Hope someone in the know could say whats happened to him

lucky
20-05-2012, 04:09 PM
Problem for CB was that he was just as bad at defending as Kujabi and cost us keys goals in games. Clearly needed some reserve football but the SPL gave up. that. Don't think he is the answer at LB

ForrieGreen
20-05-2012, 05:19 PM
not 100% sure about how true this romour is but ive been told he has a drinking problem.

To me he seems a bit young for that but you never know, hope he gets his chance ahead of Kujabi next season

scoopyboy
20-05-2012, 05:34 PM
Be good to hear truth with this one... A talented lad and could been doing a job for us yesterday rather than the awful kujabi.

If he has got of field problems (like most of our so called players) got to cut our loses or give him
A final chance.

Hope someone in the know could say whats happened to him

One of the guys who posts on here is his mate so he would know better than me but I know bits.

The drink bit is blown out of all proportion, he was noticed in a few boozers in East Lothian when recovering from a persistent injury. Maybe not clever but certainly not a drink problem.

My belief is he is a laid back kind of guy and can be like that in training. This isn't what PF is looking for as he wants guys who train hard.

I think if he's not in the first team when the season starts he may go out on loan.

I think I am right in saying that him and Paul Hanlon are on contracts to 2016 so he can't simply go and sign for Dundee Utd or anyone for that matter.

edwards
20-05-2012, 05:34 PM
not 100% sure about how true this romour is but ive been told he has a drinking problem.

To me he seems a bit young for that but you never know, hope he gets his chance ahead of Kujabi next season

Rumours Eh I have heard it was a drug problem, would be sorry to see him go as he is a talented player and can score goals, was it not also rumoured that Fenlon was having talks with a centre back from dundee utd the day the window closed in January.

muirhousehibby
20-05-2012, 06:07 PM
He would have provided a goal scoring threat from midfield, if played there, something sadly lacking yesterday.

funny you mention that cause me and a few m8s were speaking today about players like callum booth and paul hanlon. both lads played in midfield at boys club level which attracted hibs attentions to them in the first place and with months both have been converter to play in defence.

both players could and would have done better than the midfield we had yesterday.

Albion Hibs
20-05-2012, 06:36 PM
As someone has said above prior to being dropped he was terrible and cost us plenty of points. I do however believe he will be a good player for us. Fenlon has committed to his own player and for whatever reason he wants to play Kujabi. What I dont understand is why he has not considered booth for a wide midfield role. Yesterdays team selection was rank, we had as much wide as the gable end of a fiver. Yet we have players like Booth, Sproule, and Francomb that would perform in these areas.

I am sure Sergio could not believe his luck when he saw our team, he was fielding the likes of the runt Suso and Driver who stood about 3cm off the lines waiting for the ball to come out to them.

I hope booth gets a decent preseason and goes on to be a much better player for us as we will need guys like him to step up for next season.

Hibby_Paul
20-05-2012, 06:45 PM
Cheers for that.

Hope that's the case and that wouldn't be a big deal for me. I'm fine with players being laid back - as long as they always give their all and care when the club loses, something which yesterdays mob didn't display enough of. Let's hope he gets a chance and a good run again at some point next season. :agree:

One of the guys who posts on here is his mate so he would know better than me but I know bits.

The drink bit is blown out of all proportion, he was noticed in a few boozers in East Lothian when recovering from a persistent injury. Maybe not clever but certainly not a drink problem.

My belief is he is a laid back kind of guy and can be like that in training. This isn't what PF is looking for as he wants guys who train hard.

I think if he's not in the first team when the season starts he may go out on loan.

I think I am right in saying that him and Paul Hanlon are on contracts to 2016 so he can't simply go and sign for Dundee Utd or anyone for that matter.

Billy Whizz
20-05-2012, 06:50 PM
Fenlon was asked about him during a radio interview a few weeks ago. Said that Booth could play in a 352 or left back, although Booth indicated to him that he preferred left back. My take on it is that he played in a poor Hibs team and he was exploited for his in experience. I think billy brown indicated that other teams targeted him as Hibs defensive weak link.
There's plenty of time left for him at Hibs. A great pre season to prove to the Manager he should be in the squad, although the manger needs to be convinced, hence our alleged interest in the United left back Paul Dixon.

.Sean.
20-05-2012, 07:28 PM
The Dundee United rumour is alot of *****. He's ten times the player of that liability Kujabi aswell.

Albion Hibs
20-05-2012, 07:31 PM
The Dundee United rumour is alot of *****. He's ten times the player of that liability Kujabi aswell.

I would agree with that. The worrying thing is that our manager does not seem to see that and he played one of a few players that played a significant part in yesterday, and lets be honest he has generally been pretty poor for us. The sooner Booth is back in the picture the better.

Dunbar Hibee
22-05-2012, 10:43 AM
And there is no "off field problems" with drink or the likes, sick of hearing it.

blackpoolhibs
22-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Fenlon was asked about him during a radio interview a few weeks ago. Said that Booth could play in a 352 or left back, although Booth indicated to him that he preferred left back. My take on it is that he played in a poor Hibs team and he was exploited for his in experience. I think billy brown indicated that other teams targeted him as Hibs defensive weak link.
There's plenty of time left for him at Hibs. A great pre season to prove to the Manager he should be in the squad, although the manger needs to be convinced, hence our alleged interest in the United left back Paul Dixon.

Something they are still doing with the clown Fenlon brought in to replace him with. I agree Booth is a better player, and must be given a chance, rather than wasting money on more journeymen who struggle to get any team other than us.

Beefster
22-05-2012, 11:41 AM

If this is the case, let's hope that he realises that he needs to put a bit more effort in. As a Hibee, he should know about how many young players have failed to live up to their potential because they didn't put enough into improving or spent too much time in the pub.

Dunbar Hibee
22-05-2012, 11:43 AM
Rumours Eh I have heard it was a drug problem, would be sorry to see him go as he is a talented player and can score goals, was it not also rumoured that Fenlon was having talks with a centre back from dundee utd the day the window closed in January.

Well now that is just ****in nonsense.

HH81
15-07-2012, 05:42 PM
What you think of Booth getting in team?

So many going on about it but if he couldnt get in last season's team what makes people think he will get in an improved one:confused:

basehibby
15-07-2012, 07:13 PM

So many going on about it but if he couldnt get in last season's team what makes people think he will get in an improved one:confused:

Booth is a young player with a bit of real quality about him - great on the ball, picks his passes well, plays with his head up and likes to take players on. He is young and inexperienced though and this was exposed last season when he was playing left back as part of a very leaky defence.

I would certainly like to see more of Booth in the first team as he has the assets to become a very good player indeed IMO. In fact, if Booth fails to make the breakthrough I'll be wondering what on earth has gone wrong with the youth system at Hibs.

AlbertK86
15-07-2012, 07:20 PM
Think he would be more suited to LM

Seveno
15-07-2012, 07:25 PM
He tended to get caught out positionally and by speed. The former ought to come with experience but I hope that someone is working with him on his pace. He lacks that initial acceleration and a sprint coach could help. I think that Spoony has the same problem.

Pretty Boy
15-07-2012, 07:27 PM
With Fenlon looking like he fancies Hanlon at LB I'd be tempted to try Booth or Kujabi at LM.

Booth was very highly rated and indeed was steady to good in his first couple of months in the team. His form dipped but he's only young(ish) and playing in that particular team must have hit his confidence.

Introduce him back into the team slowly and see how things go imo.

AlbertK86
15-07-2012, 07:35 PM
Totally agree his confidence was shot to bits and got caught out defensively. However he still looked like he could create going forward and would like to see him at LM so all the defensive responsibilities weren't on him.

sbell1875
15-07-2012, 08:10 PM

I think Booth is a decent player. However when he came on yesterday I thought he looked very very nervous and aprehensive about making a mistake. Rewind back a year against the same opposition he was really impressive and was one of the stand out players.

I think come United in 3 weeks unless Maybury was signed and Clancy perhaps played slightly out of position at left back I fully expect Kujabi to start the season with Booth and Smith as cover. I think Smith would benefit from a loan spell somewhere. However, I couldn't quite workout where Kujabi was meant to be playing when he came on! Looked like left midfield but then it looked like off the main striker!

jonny
15-07-2012, 08:13 PM
He tended to get caught out positionally and by speed. The former ought to come with experience but I hope that someone is working with him on his pace. He lacks that initial acceleration and a sprint coach could help. I think that Spoony has the same problem.

I used to think the same about Spoony but thought he looked quite quick on Saturday.

SMAXXA
15-07-2012, 08:16 PM
Booth is a young player with a bit of real quality about him - great on the ball, picks his passes well, plays with his head up and likes to take players on. He is young and inexperienced though and this was exposed last season when he was playing left back as part of a very leaky defence.

I would certainly like to see more of Booth in the first team as he has the assets to become a very good player indeed IMO. In fact, if Booth fails to make the breakthrough I'll be wondering what on earth has gone wrong with the youth system at Hibs.

Not so much about the Hibs youth system, more to do with him losing all his confidence and not recovering from it. May Also need to re-evaluate how he spends his social live and in what circles, a lad with alot of promise but unfortunatley could be in danger of going by the wayside.

Hope not though as I think he has genuine promise, just needs to knuckle down and take the chance thats been placed in front of him.

Bostonhibby
15-07-2012, 08:26 PM
Want Booth to get a proper chance, sensible controlled introduction rather than chucked in in a bad side when things were going bad, not the ideal circumstances, I think he is a great prospect for all the reasons highlighted by others above. Think he is much more suited to LM than defence at the moment.

JIm
15-07-2012, 08:27 PM
Not so much about the Hibs youth system, more to do with him losing all his confidence and not recovering from it. May Also need to re-evaluate how he spends his social live and in what circles, a lad with alot of promise but unfortunatley could be in danger of going by the wayside.

Hope not though as I think he has genuine promise, just needs to knuckle down and take the chance thats been placed in front of him.

Care to expand?

hibeebairn
26-07-2012, 03:56 PM
As someone who doesn't get to games as often as I'd like, what is the current opinion on Callum Booth? The times that I've seen him I've thought he showed massive potential with composure beyond his years. I know he didn't play alot the second half of last season and maybe too much was expected of him too quickly? For those of you who are regular attendees what are your thoughts?

hibee
26-07-2012, 04:46 PM
I still think he could be our best left back, yes he made mistakes but I don't mind that from young guys who are giving 100%

blackpoolhibs
26-07-2012, 04:55 PM
I'm a wee bit worried about him, when he came on last week i thought he was very poor, and the position was considerably weakened with his appearance. I hope he gets better, and fulfils his early potential.

Beefster
26-07-2012, 05:01 PM
Had a couple of pretty good games early on, was hyped too much as we often do with a youngster who plays well (see Wotherspoon and Stevenson) and subsequently settled into a middle-to-low SPL player. I'd be worried for his future if he can't cement a LB place in front of Kujabi (or Hanlon) this season.

AlbertK86
26-07-2012, 05:31 PM
Better at attacking than defending so would like to see him at Left
Mid

NAE NOOKIE
26-07-2012, 05:48 PM
Following his first few games in the first team I was bumming him up to anyone who would listen " this kid is going to be great " I'm still scratching my head wondering what went wrong TBH.

Going forward he is excellent, can pick a pass, has good movement and aint afraid to shoot ... Left midfield for me.

Emerald
26-07-2012, 06:10 PM
Following his first few games in the first team I was bumming him up to anyone who would listen " this kid is going to be great " I'm still scratching my head wondering what went wrong TBH.

Going forward he is excellent, can pick a pass, has good movement and aint afraid to shoot ... Left midfield for me.

I was the same and to be honest I never really thought he lost it. I thought he was THE next star, probably the coolest youngster I have seen on the ball since John Collins. I have no idea about anything other than his football and for me he is a fantastic prospect. Youngsters are inconsistent and I was expecting him to have a bit of a rest when his form dipped and then come back even better. As I said, I cannot comment on anything other than his football but if this lad can't make progress at Hibs, I don't know who can.

blackpoolhibs
26-07-2012, 06:14 PM

:agree:

number9dream
27-07-2012, 11:36 AM
Last time I saw Booth was in the cup game at Cowdenbeath.
He was pretty ropey in defence (not the only one that day). But he looked good going forward.

I've seen repeated calls here for him to be given a go at left mid or as a winger but it's inconceivable that the coaching staff at Easter Road haven't considered this. Yet it hasn't happened, which may suggest it never will.

Hope he knuckles down and builds on his early promise this season. I can't see us recruiting a couple of speedy wingers any time soon, so any width in attack is going to have to come from our full-backs.

Albion Hibs
27-07-2012, 11:51 AM

Perhaps that has had a negative effect on him!!

Joking aside i think he has the makings of a good player, he has shown that at lower levels and for a spell in the first team. There is no doubt that his confidence took a huge knock last season and Calderwood was right to drop him. Certain areas of his game, namely his heading of the ball, let him down. Hopefully the manager is working with him on these aspects in a bid to build his confidence and get him back into the team. I would rather we were spending a lot more time with our own young players rather than chasing down the likes of Maybury etc.

Fingers crossed he features, and does well for us in the season ahead.

500miles
27-07-2012, 02:29 PM
Perhaps that has had a negative effect on him!!

Joking aside i think he has the makings of a good player, he has shown that at lower levels and for a spell in the first team. There is no doubt that his confidence took a huge knock last season and Calderwood was right to drop him. Certain areas of his game, namely his heading of the ball, let him down. Hopefully the manager is working with him on these aspects in a bid to build his confidence and get him back into the team. I would rather we were spending a lot more time with our own young players rather than chasing down the likes of Maybury etc.

Fingers crossed he features, and does well for us in the season ahead.

Someone like Maybury might be exactly the sort of influence you want at the club for a player like Booth.

Hibiza
27-07-2012, 02:34 PM
Great player, get back in the team Callum and hold it. :flag:

LeighLoyal
27-07-2012, 03:08 PM
I'd like to see him at LM, not sure he has it at left back. Defending was iffy before he got dropped but goes forward well. I would start Kujabi.

sesoim
27-07-2012, 10:19 PM

Rubbish managers and coaches. If Mowbray, Park and so on had still been at the club he would be a £3M player now. Whatever people think of Mowbray, he was good at getting the best out of youngsters.

Hibs have probably lost a few million in lost potential since Mowbray went, as a few good prospects have came and went since 2006.

ahibby
28-07-2012, 12:32 PM
I described him as a genius after seeing him a couple of times and so I am disappointed he hasn't been a regular. We have heard negative stories about him and I hope they are unfounded. I too hope he fulfills his potential and this would be a very good season for him to do it. With Scottish football apparently going down hill it could be that many of the poorer teams will opt for the experience of average players rather than try potential young talent. I will look on with interest to see how the likes of Jimmy Scott performs in this league compared with the Booths and Wotherspoons.

Andy74
28-07-2012, 04:44 PM
Rubbish managers and coaches. If Mowbray, Park and so on had still been at the club he would be a £3M player now. Whatever people think of Mowbray, he was good at getting the best out of youngsters.

Hibs have probably lost a few million in lost potential since Mowbray went, as a few good prospects have came and went since 2006.

Nah. He's been poor due to his own form, not the managers. fans got carried away with how good he was really.

Who else have we lost a few million on then?

sbell1875
28-07-2012, 04:46 PM
I'm a wee bit worried about him, when he came on last week i thought he was very poor, and the position was considerably weakened with his appearance. I hope he gets better, and fulfils his early potential.

Couldn't agree more.

When he played in the same game last summer I thought he was our best player but against East Fife he looked shaky and nervous.

I think the back 4 next Sunday will be RB - Clancy. CB - Stephens & McPake LB - Hanlon.