PDA

View Full Version : Document to RP, Comments? (Warning long post)

rcarter1
26-07-2012, 01:23 PM
Hi Hibbies,

What follows is a transcript of a document, I plan to hand over to the club for the attention of Rod Petrie on saturday before the Huddersfield match. Its intention is to summarise how I view the different opinions of the Hibs support, and how this is relevant to current season ticket sales (or lack thereof).

It is not intended to represent the fans as a whole, as it is one fans opinion - albeit I have tried to cover objectively a number of perspectives. I am not putting my name to it.

My reason for posting it here is simply to see if there was any feedback, or objections. I will not be giving it to the club, if I get a significantly negative response here.

If anyone does read the whole thing (its long), then any feedback, however harsh is welcome.

Cheers

"A Hibs fans’ view of Hibernian supporters,
and how to bring them back to Easter Road.."

What kind of folk are Hibs fans?

Many Hibs fans are anti-establishment in their general leanings. Many are suspicious of government and council organisations, including those running Scottish football itself. These views, no doubt, are held for many reasons. They are likely to stem in part from the general tone of those areas where most Hibs fans come from, individual experiences, and to some extent the self selection process of people who decide to choose Hibs (over Hearts for example).

Hibees – Glass half full or empty?

A less easily determined aspect of the support is its general optimism. This ranges vastly, and probably fits closely to any normal population. Hibs supporters have drifted towards a more pessimistic view of late. Recent seasons have been desperately poor in both standard, and spirit, culminating in a painful Scottish Cup final defeat. With little or no money coming into the club outside from the supporters, the pessimistic view remains strong, that Hibs will struggle to improve. As a result many of its supporters are giving up their season ticket memberships this season. Having spoken to a handful of relapsed season ticket holders, the reason is very consistent – they have ‘had enough’ – relating to what they endure watching the side. This phenomenon is not by any means unique to supporters of Hibs. Rangers (80’s), Celtic (90s), Hearts (70’s) and many others have endured periods where supporter interest has fallen well below their potential. In all cases it is events on the pitch that appear most to blame. Any clubs’ support is comprised of the die hard core, and supporters ranging from nearly die hard to very occaisional attendees.

Why (and why not) support a football team anyway?

Supporting a football team, is a very personal experience. It is something hard to explain, but comes from within people, and is then shared with thousands. It captures for many, self-expression and self-determination. This emotional attachment to a club explains footballs’ resilience over a century that has seen unprecedented social, technological and economic changes. It does however also explain the wavering nature of a clubs support. Poor performance and spirit on the pitch, results in pain and despondency in its supporters. Regular defeat proves too much for many. Indeed for many this builds into anger, resentment or apathy.

No Season ticket – Football or finance?

Those supporters that have not renewed season tickets this season have largely done so for football reasons – less so economic reasons. They are hurting and expressing this through anger or apathy. To have bought a season ticket at any time during ones life is an uncommon level of support and interest in the first place. Taking Edinburgh and its immediate surrounds as a population of around 500,000, about half would identify themselves as football supporters, and about half of these will follow Hibs and Hearts. Between these two clubs one might expect around 20000 season ticket holders. This is about 15% of the overall potential support for Edinburgh clubs. This indicates that in spite of strong interest, only a minority of people will take the step to buy a season ticket. For a one off match like a Cup Final, it is possible that Hibs could attract 30,000 or more. Under no circumstances – ever - could these all be translated into season tickets. For many, Saturday is just too busy with friends, family and work commitments. Buying a season ticket only makes sense if you are planning to attend every home match. Financially a season ticket is equal to a holiday, and when adding travel, refreshments, and perhaps a visit to the Pub as part of the match day experience, would add up to quite an expensive one. For those who bring families to matches, it is a bumper holiday. Many people have never had, nor ever will have, season tickets for this reason – but still follow and support Hibs on occasion as walk-ups to a handful of games.

The wavering season ticket holder – To go, or not to go?

From the financial perspective, a Scottish football supporter (not just those of Hibs) has to accept that they will pay close to English Premier League prices, for a level of football that is many leagues beneath it. Because most supporters of Scottish football are local, and accept the context of what they pay to watch, this is bearable to a large extent. They do however expect standards of their team to match the opposition. Given the relationship between supporter bases and turnover, and hence competitiveness in the player market, fans are also not unrealistic in expecting a success close to their ‘relative size’. For those supporters in a position to opt for a season ticket, many will require a success level close to ‘expected’ for their support to continue. The die hards need no such convincing, given that they are committed to providing their support. Hibs have come to a point where the lack of success has reached breaking point. Were Rangers to have been readmitted into the SPL, and perceived to have lived outside the sporting and national law, this breaking point could have been truly catastrophic in size. Moving past the unprecedented Rangers scenario, Hibs still have a support that is pessimistic and doubtful regarding the new season. This element of the Hibs support probably amounts to at least 3000, if season ticket sales are an indicator. These supporters have watched Pat Fenlon assemble a new team, with a new attitude, and set of standards… and continue to watch. These supporters are still raw from their pain. It will be a miracle if they rush in their droves to renew – although no doubt some will. They are waiting. Waiting for real hope – not just a glimmer, but a palpable sign. They will not be easily convinced, and will not ignore the evidence of the last few years. They plan to attend as walk ups initially to feel their way back. Some – hopefully a very few – will never return, but many just need a reason to come back – a reason that gives them confidence that they are not returning to watch more of the same. Their pride refuses them to come back unless they feel the anticipation, hope and trust that they require.

How to bring hope back to the Hibs support?

There are a number of things that would bring hope back to the clubs supporters in a short space of time. No assumptions are made regarding the feasibility of any of these ideas, other than how effective they would be in convincing supporters to attend matches – as either season tickets or walk-ups.

Signing of ‘marquee’ players – While most fans have been delighted to see the likes of McPake, Clancy, Griffiths and others join the club, and watched with encouragement the impact of youth players, none of these represents an astonishing coup in the eyes of the supporters. A signing in the mould of George Best, or Stevie Archibald would almost certainly sway the minds of many. This approach, in theory, could be implemented in time to affect season ticket sales.

A Great start to the opening games of the season – The first two matches of Hibs season will indicate to many where we stand in relation to the opposition this season. Dundee United and Hearts are expected to be challenging for the vacant ‘second spot’. A good result against Dundee United (draw or win), and a convincing display and WIN against Hearts would almost certainly turn enough heads to impact upon future attendances.

A Statement of intent from the Board and Sir Tom Farmer to invest – A robust statement from either or both parties, indicating a plan to invest in the team to ‘kick-start’ the club, would generate a huge level of interest from many Hibs supporters. The precarious financial situation that the club finds itself is a result of performances on the pitch, and the aftermath of the Rangers situation. At least half of this is shared with the competition. Understanding the size – and psychology of the ‘latent’ support, can inform how much investment could be realistically regained from increased gate receipts.

Kick Starting Hibernian F.C.

The word ‘kick start’ is used very deliberately. The club is experiencing a viscous cycle of negative feedback. Poor performances results in reduced attendances, results in restricted finances, results in less competiveness regarding player quality, which predicts poor performances.

In the writers opinion the first and most important step in the kick starting of the club has been done – the appointment of Pat Fenlon. The qualities, standards, aspirations, knowledge, experience, and guts of Mr Fenlon are shining through at present. Should this be backed up by improved performances, the root cause of Hibs recent demise may have been solved. Mr Fenlon will not be on the pitch however.

All that is needed is a kick start.

But a kick start doesn’t come cheap.

Jack
26-07-2012, 01:32 PM
If you're not putting your name on it you're wasting your time. I won't bother reading it and I suspect they will do the same.

Future17
26-07-2012, 01:40 PM
I very nearly didn't make it past the opening line - "Many Hibs fans are anti-establishment in their general leanings". Don't agree with that in the slightest.

However, I persevered and found your post to be well-written and reasoned. Unfortunately, I don't think you have said anything that impacts our current situation that we (in which I include Club officials) don't already know. Essentially, you appear to be suggesting the investment (in one guise or another) is the solution to our problems. Many would argue that investment is what created many of our current problems. Either way, it can't be justified in a plausible business model for any SPL team in the current situation.

It's Catch 22/a vicious cycle/whatever else you want to call it - we need money to buy players, we need players to be an entertaining product, we need to be an entertaining product to attract fans, we need to attract fans to raise money.

Twa Cairpets
26-07-2012, 01:40 PM
A few thoughts:

You say it is your personal view, but then in your first paragraph makes assumptions about "what kind of folks are Hibs fans?" I actually dont agree with your assumptions, but thats moot. If the rest of the document is based upon this assumption, and RP disgarees, then immediately the validity of the arguments built on the assumption are less credible.

If you are going to deliver it, I would make it much clearer what it is is the document is seeking to achieve. It is essentially a letter saying this is what your opinion is, and I'm fairly sure Hibs have had a few of these over the last few months.

The 3 points you make at the end:
1) Signing marquee players. in an age if footballing austerity, thats a fans wish that has little hope of coming off unless PF pulls a flanker. Of course it would be great, but the financial realities are pretty clear for all clubs
2) Of course we all want a good start - as an "action point" it is irrelevant. Not even the craziest anti RP guys on here think he wants us to do badly.
3) Putting a gun to the head of STF or the board (and by extension taking the lack of such an investment statement as being a a reduction in financial support) isnt a good idea. Anyway, if STF said, I'm putting in £1million, half the guys on here would say thats not enough, drop in the ocean, STFGTF or some such.

Just my thoughts - it doesnt do any harm the board seeing fans representations.

Future17
26-07-2012, 01:41 PM
If you're not putting your name on it you're wasting your time. I won't bother reading it and I suspect they will do the same.

Why wouldn't you bother reading it because his/her name isn't on it? :confused:

500miles
26-07-2012, 01:42 PM
Posters like the OP are part of the reason Rangers ever had a chance of getting straight back into the SPL. They justify it with every poorly thought out "we want" letter.

From relegation battlers to competing with Hearts and Dundee Utd? A touch of realism, please.

rcarter1
26-07-2012, 02:01 PM
Cheers to all responses!

Im already thinking of making amendments, if I do end up sending it.

The three points are not so much action points, but what I believe to be the kind of thing that would actually boost attendances significantly in a short space of time.

I agree that relegation battlers to challenging Hearts/Dundee United is a bold aim, I also agree that the likelyhood or of any of the three 'points' coming to pass are slim indeed.

It is however also my belief that asking for another 3000 season ticket memberships in the current state of affairs is also 'bold'. No harm in PF or RP asking, but I genuinely don't see a mad rush for season tickets happening. I would hope that they read the document and realise just what they are up against when they are looking to increase sales.

I will consider how I structure the letter, but I suppose it comes down to these three beliefs

1) We are close to our 'diehard' support at present.

2) Many (most?) of those people not buying season tickets, are not likely to buy unless they see something dramatic.

3) The three 'points' indicate, for me, just how dramatic this will have to be to budge 3000 people to buy season tickets.

Elephant Stone
26-07-2012, 02:09 PM
Many Hibs fans are anti-establishment in their general leanings. Many are suspicious of government and council organisations, including those running Scottish football itself.

What makes you think this? And why is it relevant to the rest of what you've said?

Jack
26-07-2012, 02:19 PM
Why wouldn't you bother reading it because his/her name isn't on it? :confused:

If you don't have the balls to sign it and take responsibility for what it says, IMO, its not worth reading.

On the other hand.

If you believe in what you have written you should sign it and then I'll take the time to read it.

Of course this doesn't extend to ransom notes which aren't normally signed - apart from those seeking attention in the Darwin Awards :-)

rcarter1
26-07-2012, 02:31 PM
What makes you think this? And why is it relevant to the rest of what you've said?

Point taken. Its relevance is less clear to me now then when I originally wrote it. I stand by the statement that Hibs supporters are generally considered, and in my own experience of 20 years, more anti-establishment than Hearts for example, but will leave this bit out as its clearly not a consistent representation of Hibs fans.

hibsbollah
26-07-2012, 02:41 PM
Its a good summary of our current position as a support. You are correct, broadly, that our fan base is anti-establishment, although individuals in our support might not define themselves as such.

rcarter1
26-07-2012, 02:46 PM
If you don't have the balls to sign it and take responsibility for what it says, IMO, its not worth reading.

On the other hand.

If you believe in what you have written you should sign it and then I'll take the time to read it.

If signing it makes it more likely to be read then I will do so for that reason alone.

Of course this doesn't extend to ransom notes which aren't normally signed - apart from those seeking attention in the Darwin Awards :-)

I have no problem at all signing it actually, but it is not really relevant to Rod Petrie who I am - I have represented myself as A single Hibs fan, who wishes to make a comment on why Hibs fans in general do, or do not buy season tickets. It is not an attempt for me to build a dialogue with the club, or represent any particular organisation.

If it is a close to factual assessment, then I will stand by it - after removing some bits, and send it - for no other reason to put forward a view to RP that the numbers of people likely to buy season tickets will be a function of how well the team is, or is likely to, perform. Until supporters perceive that Hibs are likely to perform well, I don't think there will be too many who respond to the plea from the club. The point about how Rangers, Celtic and Hearts suffered low attendances when suffering periods of perceived failure is in there to make the point in general for football clubs.

RIP
26-07-2012, 03:09 PM
Couple of quick questions for the thread starter

Why a letter? Could you not simply ask Rod to meet you e.g. in Behind The Goals?
Do you expect him to read the letter?
Once he has read it, what do you expect to happen then?

Only asking because I'm part of a supporters group who plan to meet regularly with Rod and his line managers and it's been our experience that he prefers face to face dialogue.

Hats off to you for putting your thoughts down in print though

ScottB
26-07-2012, 03:11 PM
Expecting the club to pour in money for a 'big name' signing at the current point would be utter nonsense.

Jack
26-07-2012, 03:13 PM
I have no problem at all signing it actually, but it is not really relevant to Rod Petrie who I am - I have represented myself as A single Hibs fan, who wishes to make a comment on why Hibs fans in general do, or do not buy season tickets. It is not an attempt for me to build a dialogue with the club, or represent any particular organisation.

If it is a close to factual assessment, then I will stand by it - after removing some bits, and send it - for no other reason to put forward a view to RP that the numbers of people likely to buy season tickets will be a function of how well the team is, or is likely to, perform. Until supporters perceive that Hibs are likely to perform well, I don't think there will be too many who respond to the plea from the club. The point about how Rangers, Celtic and Hearts suffered low attendances when suffering periods of perceived failure is in there to make the point in general for football clubs.

My comments have nothing to do with the content.

I work in a large organisation, which is very concerned about how it is perceived by the public.

The first thing I would do with an unsigned letter is bin it.

For comment or commentary its not worth the paper its written on never mind the time you have invested writing it.

Sign it or forget it - that's my advice. :-)

rcarter1
26-07-2012, 03:35 PM
Sign it or forget it - that's my advice. :-)[/QUOTE]

Fair points, signature will be included!

Future17
26-07-2012, 03:39 PM
You are correct, broadly, that our fan base us anti-establishment, although individuals in our support might not define themselves as such.

Out of interest, what are you basing that on?

EDIT: And what do you consider "anti-establishment" to be?

rcarter1
26-07-2012, 03:48 PM
Couple of quick questions for the thread starter

Thank you for bring these to my attention.

Why a letter? Could you not simply ask Rod to meet you e.g. in Behind The Goals?
I was not aware that this was possible.

Do you expect him to read the letter?
I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but I considered it a realistic possibility, and hence worth the effort on my part.

Once he has read it, what do you expect to happen then?

I would not expect miracles for sure. It is my intention only to point out that some supporters will attend when things are going badly, but the general inescapable rule, is that many fans will respond to a positive kick start from the club. I doubt he is in the position to either sign a big player, or to convince Tom Farmer for some kind of investment. However I would hope that he takes the message that getting much more than the 7K season tickets at this stage is unlikely without something dramatic coming from the club. Further I would suggest to RP that a more likely scenario is that season tickets sales will remain low, however walk ups this season could be significant if improvements are seen on the pitch. If that changes anything regarding to RP offering players contracts now, I don't know.

Only asking because I'm part of a supporters group who plan to meet regularly with Rod and his line managers and it's been our experience that he prefers face to face dialogue.

Again I was not aware that Mr Petrie is available for such dialogue. I take it the supporters group you refer to is 'Lets work together?' I would be interested in helping out with this if I felt I could contribute meaningfully.

Hats off to you for putting your thoughts down in print though

ancient hibee
26-07-2012, 03:56 PM
There is absolutely no point in making assertions about numbers-e.g fans etc.-unless you have evidence to back it up.It is well put together but has no value if it is full of opinions masquerading as facts.

rcarter1
26-07-2012, 04:00 PM
There is absolutely no point in making assertions about numbers-e.g fans etc.-unless you have evidence to back it up.It is well put together but has no value if it is full of opinions masquerading as facts.

Was worried about this aspect, however, I believe many of the general points still hold. If Mr. Petrie has more solid numbers available to him, then he can interpret the document in the context of what he knows.

Shaggy
26-07-2012, 04:02 PM
OP-

RP gets things like this every week via email and post,
you will get a polite letter in 10 days, thanking you for your interesting points that willl be taken on board.

However it is important to lobby the suits.

Twa Cairpets
26-07-2012, 04:03 PM

That being the case the claims or suggestions you make regarding the rest of the Hibs support are immaterial and irrelevant. You can't state things as a fact (as per the "anti-establishment" line) without evidence. If there's no evidence it's opinion, and in the grand scheme of things therefore pointless including.

I still have to say I don't get what it is you're looking to achieve in particular by sending it in - it's essentially just a rather politely written "gonnae spend some money Roddy-boy" letter. It won't do any harm, I just done see what you're going to get back from it.

nonshinyfinish
26-07-2012, 04:07 PM
The club is experiencing a viscous cycle

Vicious cycle. A viscous cycle would be riding your bike through treacle.

marinello59
26-07-2012, 04:09 PM

I'd love to know that as well. Celtic fans consider their club anti establishment yet until recently they had an ex Government Minister on their board.
To be honest I always see announcing yourself as anti-establishment as a slightly more grown up way of claiming to be cool. Which instantly means that you are not. :greengrin

silverhibee
26-07-2012, 04:15 PM

ACAB :greengrin

Jack
26-07-2012, 04:17 PM
Sign it or forget it - that's my advice. :-)

Fair points, signature will be included![/QUOTE]

I'll read it later, I'm on my phone now.

Andy74
26-07-2012, 04:18 PM

Nothing they don't know. If it's more money into the club you are after why not write direct to Sir tom and ask him if he would stick some in?

degenerated
26-07-2012, 04:32 PM
ACAB :greengrin

I'm anti everything. :agree:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQib9HZLiyA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Captain Trips
26-07-2012, 05:15 PM
Ammend it to the following "Rod yer teas oot"

NAE NOOKIE
26-07-2012, 05:25 PM
Its not so much that our fans are Anti Establishment. Its more the case that historically Hibs are not the club of choice for most of the establishment, who tend to side more with the smelly maroon part of the city.

In general I would say its a reasonable letter, but I would imagine RP has seen most of the points covered in other correspondence from supporters.

I know that the OP has had a bit of stick for his marquee signing idea. But to my mind its not as daft an idea as it may seem, or for that matter so unrealistic as to be dismissed out of hand.

In business ... and especially the entertainment industry ... getting a big name in to help sell a product is tried and tested and more often than not works .... There has been many a rubbish film managed to break even or better because it had a well known actor in it, whereas without that to attract an audience it would have bombed.

Lets take James McFadden as an example. His talent and entertainment value are beyond question and yet he still does not appear to have found a club willing to offer him a contract. As squeaky bum time gets nearer it may be the case that he would be willing to turn out for 10K per week for example. That would cost £520,000

If on the back of signing a player like him Hibs sold another 1,500 season tickets at an average of £250 each that would be £375,000 up front. Say that another 500 came regularly to ER as walk ups on the back of him being in the team at an average of £18 a match for 18 home games, thats another £162,000 giving a total of £537,000

With other side benefits like shirt sales pies etc he would pay for himself.

Of course you would hope that we would win more matches with him in the team, resulting in more walk up fans and perhaps a better uptake of half seasons when Christmas came around.

Aye its a risk .... but perhaps that time has come.

rcarter1
26-07-2012, 05:45 PM
Aye its a risk .... but perhaps that time has come.[/QUOTE]

I think this summarises rather nicely what I was trying to put across in the letter.

hibsbollah
26-07-2012, 06:03 PM

I base it on years of supporting the club, attending games with thousands of other supporters and growing up through the Edinburgh school system while watching kids choose their team:greengrin

By definition its a nebulous, amorphous kind of job trying to define a group of supporters. I am still pretty confident if you introduce me to two random Rangers/Celtic fans, two Spurs/Hammers fans, and two Newcastle/Sunderland fans, (or even two Chicago White Sox/Chicago Cubs fans) and ask them some non-sporting questions, i will be able to identify the right one more often than not. Twocarpets has a point that by mentioning 'antiestablishmentism' in a letter to the Tachester you are going off in a direction that is almost impossible to err...'establish' (not to mention that, as Petrie is wearing his SFL/SPL hat as often as his Hibs hat these days, he might not appreciate the connection :greengrin

But for starters, you can chuck into the anti-establishment pot (in no particular order); our Irish roots, our altrusitic roots, our historical problems even getting accepted into the league in the late 19th Century, our club's penchant for breaking new ground (entering the European Cup), our Leith/North Edinburgh location down the hill and away from the 'heart' of the city, our underdog tradition during 23 in a row, etc etc. I've always thought Hearts' pathological desire to be the 'big' team in Edinburgh stems from a desire to be an establishment club as much as a desire to beat us IMO. I cant ever see Hibs fans doing that.

I think a lot of Hibs fans support the club as much because we represent something different from the Scottish footballing establishment. And judging by the events of the last few months, thats something to be applauded.

Baldy Foghorn
26-07-2012, 06:33 PM
"A Hibs fans’ view of Hibernian supporters,
and how to bring them back to Easter Road.."

A Statement of intent from the Board and Sir Tom Farmer to invest – A robust statement from either or both parties, indicating a plan to invest in the team to ‘kick-start’ the club, would generate a huge level of interest from many Hibs supporters. The precarious financial situation that the club finds itself is a result of performances on the pitch, and the aftermath of the Rangers situation. At least half of this is shared with the competition. Understanding the size – and psychology of the ‘latent’ support, can inform how much investment could be realistically regained from increased gate receipts.

Kick Starting Hibernian F.C.

The word ‘kick start’ is used very deliberately. The club is experiencing a viscous cycle of negative feedback. Poor performances results in reduced attendances, results in restricted finances, results in less competiveness regarding player quality, which predicts poor performances.

In the writers opinion the first and most important step in the kick starting of the club has been done – the appointment of Pat Fenlon. The qualities, standards, aspirations, knowledge, experience, and guts of Mr Fenlon are shining through at present. Should this be backed up by improved performances, the root cause of Hibs recent demise may have been solved. Mr Fenlon will not be on the pitch however.

All that is needed is a kick start.

Regarding the highlighted paragraph, we already know STF wants us to be self sufficient, and we know we will only spend income generated from season ticket sales.....Think you are wasting your time somewhat with this document....The Club are aware that they need more attendees, it was mentioned in RP's statement. By you documenting what "kind of folk are hibs fans", or paragraphs on football or finance, or why fans are waivering wont really make any difference.....

There are fans that want to go but cant afford to, fans who go everywhere unconditionally, and fans that jump ship when the chips are down, happens at all clubs, its the nature of the beast.

HFC 0-7
26-07-2012, 08:07 PM
Regarding the highlighted paragraph, we already know STF wants us to be self sufficient, and we know we will only spend income generated from season ticket sales.....Think you are wasting your time somewhat with this document....The Club are aware that they need more attendees, it was mentioned in RP's statement. By you documenting what "kind of folk are hibs fans", or paragraphs on football or finance, or why fans are waivering wont really make any difference.....

There are fans that want to go but cant afford to, fans who go everywhere unconditionally, and fans that jump ship when the chips are down, happens at all clubs, its the nature of the beast.

In order to be self sufficient at the level the club wants we first need an active customer base to reflect it. At present we don't and something needs to change to attract the level of customers. IMO, it needs either a massive reduction in ticket costs or the product needs to be better.

Your last paragraph sums it up perfectly of the different types of fans, the problem is that the club don't seem to see it that way. A call from the chairman asking for more people to renew wont appeal to the fans that jump ship or the ones that can't afford. The club needs all fans, especially now as the fans that go anywhere unconditionally are getting smaller in number. The other fans need something more than a plea from the chairman, it's not ideal but sadly that's the way it is.

Fergus52
26-07-2012, 08:28 PM
Posters like the OP are part of the reason Rangers ever had a chance of getting straight back into the SPL. They justify it with every poorly thought out "we want" letter.

From relegation battlers to competing with Hearts and Dundee Utd? A touch of realism, please.

Getting a result against both those teams and "competing" with them over the course of a season are completely different things.

jdships
26-07-2012, 09:14 PM

The last paragraph says it all for me :thumbsup:
No disrespect to the OP but not quite sure what purpose his letter will serve .
RP, STF , players et al are not living in a mountain retreat in Outer Mongolia. They live near by and meet up with fans , read newspapers and Forums such as this .
They are well aware of the fans feelings but as many are saying it's ok talking about signing " Big Names" but where exactly is the money to come from to buy them ?
We all know that football and football clubs are part of the entertainment business and therefore are open to the fickleness of fans/supporters .
If a pop star doesn't produce commercial material their sales drop , if a stage musical/film gets bad crits people don't go to see them
Football is exactly the same.
The trick is to be able to produce a marketable product year in year out and stay solvent.
The REAL $64,000 question , surely ? :greengrin

:flag: