PDA

View Full Version : Olympic fitba / "Team GB" (merged)

Pages : 1 [2]

Posh Swanny
26-07-2012, 09:37 PM
Switched between GB/Senegal and Brazil/ Egypt - a tale of two games as it turned out !!.
GB game - not quite sure how to describe it
If this is the "cream" of England under 23 talent they are going to have problems in the next few years.:rolleyes:
Senegal - much as we expected and very physical .
As for Brazil was impressed with the number of confident two footed players in the squad.:thumbsup:
Egypt never gave up and helped to make it an entertaining match

I would think (hope!) it's quite a long way down from the "cream". Off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure that Wallcott, Oxelaide-Chamberlain, Wilshere, Carroll, Smalling, Jones, Rodwell and Walker are all eligible for an U23 team.They would probably have held on grimly and secured the 1-0 win.

Jonnyboy
26-07-2012, 10:19 PM
Not read this thread but just wanted to say

GIRUY Bellamy, ya Welsh Neil Lennon :aok:

cheltenhamhibee
26-07-2012, 11:47 PM
Looks a really good keeper, i missed his age but he looks pretty young. A few good saves

Jack Butland, he was on loan at Cheltenhan for a lot of last season, he was a class act & will go on to be one hell of a keeper

Lungo--Drom
27-07-2012, 09:16 AM
Cheers PB, I didn't know that. Serves me right for getting my info from the Metro and not hibs.net :agree:

I said this earlier, the full team name is Team Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Team GB is just the commonly used name.

People from Northern Ireland have the option of dual citizenship with the Republic so their athletes have the choice who they wish to compete for if they hold said dual citizenship.

easty
27-07-2012, 09:18 AM
Stop what you're doing! Ryan Giggs didnt sing the national anthem before the game! This is major major news.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2179523/London-2012-Olympics-Fury-Welsh-Scots-snub-National-Anthem.html

I wouldnt even know the words to God Save The Queen.

marinello59
27-07-2012, 09:34 AM
Stop what you're doing! Ryan Giggs didnt sing the national anthem before the game! This is major major news.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2179523/London-2012-Olympics-Fury-Welsh-Scots-snub-National-Anthem.html

I wouldnt even know the words to God Save The Queen.

Dearie me. Here you go then.

La la la la la la,
La la la la la la,
La la la la

Rumpty tumpty

La la la la la la,
La la la la la la
La la la la la la
La la la la

(I missed out the lines about sticking red hot pokers up Scotsmen's bottoms.)

Scouse Hibee
27-07-2012, 09:42 AM
Dearie me. Here you go then.

La la la la la la,
La la la la la la,
La la la la

Rumpty tumpty

La la la la la la,
La la la la la la
La la la la la la
La la la la

(I miseed out the lines about sticking red hot pokers up Scotsmen's bottoms.)

:faf:

southsider
27-07-2012, 10:19 AM
dont give a flying saucer about the whole thing. widnae open ma curtains if they held it in my backgreen. sooner its over the better. dynamo should make it disapear.

brog
27-07-2012, 12:29 PM
Indeed it is. I should really read things properly before posting!!

Just as an aside, are there any Northern Irish sportsmen in team GB then?

I'm glad you got there!! :wink: There's many NI reps in Team GB, including one called Lui & another female rower ( I think ) called Houvenhagel ( or something like that!! ) As Gb & NI = UK I don't know why that's not the name of the team, maybe somehow not as sexy as Team GB or perhaps they're afraid it could be known as Yuk!

Gatecrasher
27-07-2012, 08:51 PM
I didnt expect to but i'm really enjoying the opening ceremony :thumbsup:

RoxburghHibs
27-07-2012, 08:58 PM

FFS I'm tired off "our" media shoving "british" down my neck!

I'm not ****ing English/aka Brit - I don't give a flying **** about your Queen or your Royal Family.

I am a proud Scot who loves Edinburgh, Leith and Hibernian.

Sorry but it's never ending this plastic Brit bull****.

Gatecrasher
27-07-2012, 09:00 PM

I'm not ****ing English/aka Brit - I don't give a flying **** about your Queen or your Royal Family.

Chill out and have some fun :violin:

cabbageandribs1875
27-07-2012, 09:02 PM
i'm glad to say i haven't watched anything on BBC all night :thumbsup: has 1966 been mentioned yet ? :confused:

SteveHFC
27-07-2012, 09:05 PM
Chill out and have some fun http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/jamie1971/smilies%202/chill-pill-smiley.gif

Sorted that for you :na na: :greengrin

RoxburghHibs
27-07-2012, 09:07 PM
i'm glad to say i haven't watched anything on BBC all night :thumbsup: has 1966 been mentioned yet ? :confused:

Lucky you! I had to watch some off it - one word to some it up is "england".

Gatecrasher
27-07-2012, 09:08 PM
That must be a new one :greengrin

RoxburghHibs
27-07-2012, 09:08 PM

LOL - I wish I had one of those earlier!

Beefster
27-07-2012, 09:09 PM

So why are you watching it?

RoxburghHibs
27-07-2012, 09:11 PM
So why are you watching it?

Not by choice! But lets be honest - I turn on Forth One this morning and within 4 seconds.....

Beefster
27-07-2012, 09:13 PM
Not by choice! But lets be honest - I turn on Forth One this morning and within 4 seconds.....

Aye, Forth One that notorious pusher of all things plastic Brit.

RoxburghHibs
27-07-2012, 09:14 PM
Aye, Forth One that notorious pusher of all things plastic Brit.

Don't agree with that - you need the Chill Pill mate LOL

hibsbollah
27-07-2012, 09:16 PM

Agree completely :agree: Danny Boyles direction is mesmerising. Music superb, the historical emphasis was very moving as well.

Sir David Gray
27-07-2012, 09:21 PM
Really enjoyed this so far! :aok:

One question though.

Why are all the public announcements being done in French before it's being said in English?:confused:

Jim44
27-07-2012, 09:35 PM
Agree completely :agree: Danny Boyles direction is mesmerising. Music superb, the historical emphasis was very moving as well.

:agree: As I posted on the PM board, the industrial revolution sequence and the forging of the olympic rings was brilliant.

sleeping giant
27-07-2012, 09:40 PM

One question though.

Why are all the public announcements being done in French before it's being said in English?:confused:
It's the official Olympic language.

Betty Boop
27-07-2012, 09:51 PM

Yup, a fabulous spectacle, the chaos scene of the Industrial Revolution was fantastic.

(((Fergus)))
27-07-2012, 10:23 PM

During the countdown with the balloons, two 6s just happened to not pop... :wink:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19018575

hibsbollah
27-07-2012, 10:27 PM
I have just fallen in love with a Paraguayan :aok:

marinello59
27-07-2012, 10:29 PM
Last minute guess for lighter of the cauldron. Mary Peters.

marinello59
27-07-2012, 10:30 PM

One question though.

To annoy you. :greengrin

Bishop Hibee
27-07-2012, 10:39 PM
Craig Whyte to light the Olympic Cauldron for services to UK sport :wink:

Greentinted
27-07-2012, 10:44 PM
Last minute guess for lighter of the cauldron. Mary Peters.

Seems to be a bit of chat suggesting Roger Bannister.

Sir David Gray
27-07-2012, 11:22 PM
It's the official Olympic language.

I would have thought it would have been Greek!

If they're going to speak in French then fair enough but at least give us it in English first!

To annoy you. :greengrin

That thought had crossed my mind, actually! :wink:

I don't actually mind having the French translations (if they must be done!) for a lot of the long winded translations that were going on, but when they were introducing the nations earlier on and the French word for the country was exactly the same as the English word, saying the same thing twice but just in a slightly different accent was a bit absurd!

CropleyWasGod
27-07-2012, 11:25 PM
I would have thought it would have been Greek!

If they're going to speak in French then fair enough but at least give us it in English first!

The Modern Olympics are a French creation. Therefore it's only right that the first words are in French.

Pretty Boy
27-07-2012, 11:28 PM
Have to admit to quite enjoying this.

So sad to see Muhammad Ali looking worse than ever but delighted to see him involved.

Sir David Gray
27-07-2012, 11:30 PM
The Modern Olympics are a French creation. Therefore it's only right that the first words are in French.

When in Rome (or in this case, London!)...:wink:

Pretty Boy
27-07-2012, 11:35 PM
Really good way to do it imo.

I'm impressed in spite of myself.

Sir David Gray
27-07-2012, 11:45 PM
Really enjoyed that tonight.

The displays were pretty spectacular and the show was excellent. The music wasn't really to my taste to be honest but all things considered, I think the Opening Ceremony was very good. :agree:

hibsbollah
27-07-2012, 11:47 PM
You cant argue that wasnt an amazing ceremony. They pulled it off :agree:

Mon Dieu4
27-07-2012, 11:51 PM
I have just fallen in love with a Paraguayan :aok:

Long dark hair and ahem, she was tremendous and spotted here too!!

hibsbollah
27-07-2012, 11:55 PM
Long dark hair and ahem, she was tremendous and spotted here too!!

I will be googling paraguays olympic squad profiles tomorrow :agree:

Mon Dieu4
27-07-2012, 11:56 PM
I will be googling paraguays olympic squad profiles tomorrow :agree:

Just Google Leryn Franco Haha

hibsbollah
28-07-2012, 12:15 AM
Just Google Leryn Franco Haha

Thats her :aok:

Like a south american fatima whitbread. Cant wait for the javelin now :agree:

Mon Dieu4
28-07-2012, 12:16 AM
Thats her :aok:

Like a south american fatima whitbread. Cant wait for the javelin now :agree:

Women's javelin is my new favourite sport!!

Betty Boop
28-07-2012, 10:35 AM
'Multicultural crap' says Aiden Burley. :rolleyes:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/jul/28/olympics-opening-ceremony-multicultural-crap-tory-mp?newsfeed=true

surreyhibbie
28-07-2012, 11:06 AM
What a plum.

I thought it was absolutely brilliant. Fantastic organisation to get that to run so smoothly.

fatbloke
28-07-2012, 11:17 AM
What a plum.

I thought it was absolutely brilliant. Fantastic organisation to get that to run so smoothly.

I :agree: Brian.

hibee_girl
29-07-2012, 04:04 PM
Taking my boy and cousin to Newcastle on Wednesday to see the Brazil game, really looking forward to it now :greengrin

Haymaker
29-07-2012, 04:12 PM
Brazil today were class, the third goal especially. Fair play to Belarus, they tried hard and did very well.

Lee
30-07-2012, 02:48 PM
Looked decent in the Olympic game at Hampden vs. Morocco last week, noticed he got the winner against Spain in the game last night too.

Plays for New England Revolution at the moment, but seems to have scored goals wherever he's played - can play with his back to goal and decent in the air too.....do you think Jorge could put in a wee word to the tash? :cb

Sylar
30-07-2012, 04:05 PM
New England Revolution to Hibernian?

You're not serious, are you? Particularly considering he's just signed for the Revs.

Hermit Crab
30-07-2012, 04:10 PM
New England Revolution to Hibernian?

You're not serious, are you?

This has to be a yam wind up…………;)

Jim44
30-07-2012, 05:11 PM
Looked decent in the Olympic game at Hampden vs. Morocco last week, noticed he got the winner against Spain in the game last night too.

Plays for New England Revolution at the moment, but seems to have scored goals wherever he's played - can play with his back to goal and decent in the air too.....do you think Jorge could put in a wee word to the tash?

I'll have a pint of what your on, Lee. Why would an exciting young player with prospects give it all up to come to Easter Road. I think Claros might do the exact opposite of what you are suggesting. :rolleyes:

Lee
30-07-2012, 06:02 PM

Plays for New England Revolution at the moment, but seems to have scored goals wherever he's played - can play with his back to goal and decent in the air too.....do you think Jorge could put in a wee word to the tash?

I'll have a pint of what your on, Lee. Why would an exciting young player with prospects give it all up to come to Easter Road. I think Claros might do the exact opposite of what you are suggesting. :rolleyes:

I'm the eternal optimist when it comes to football, but maybe took that too far:greengrin

Joking aside, Brazil look like their in a league of their own in the football so far - honestly thought Spain would have done better (and I wonder if Uruguay are saving themselves for the last group game:devil:)