PDA

View Full Version : Midfield General?

VPHIBEE
24-07-2012, 10:15 PM
Am I the only one who has noticed that all other teams have been running through us in the middle of the park for years. Our terrible results have been blamed on our defence and goalkeepers, and although even Walter Mitty could not get away with describing our defence/goalies as anything other than pish, it is our midfield that needs some steel. A midfield general, and able lieutenant are still required IMO. These two new signings are a must. A fit pacy attacking winger would be great also if Santa is listening. But midfield steel is a must.

Thoughts???

Ozyhibby
24-07-2012, 10:20 PM
Looking like another season of watching average SPL midfields waltzing through Stevenson, Claros and Sproule like their not there.

berty_mee
24-07-2012, 10:54 PM
Although Ozzy didn't man up and be the midfield beast we had all hoped he will still be missed next season unless Fenlon is able to bring another similar player in. There's no muscle in there and we're still seriously lacking in quality too!! It's an absolute mystery why the men in charge haven't noticed this and added a bit of much needed steal!! Do these players demand too much for our poor wages?

AlbertK86
25-07-2012, 05:08 AM
Am I the only one who has noticed that all other teams have been running through us in the middle of the park for years. Our terrible results have been blamed on our defence and goalkeepers, and although even Walter Mitty could not get away with describing our defence/goalies as anything other than pish, it is our midfield that needs some steel. A midfield general, and able lieutenant are still required IMO. These two new signings are a must. A fit pacy attacking winger would be great also if Santa is listening. But midfield steel is a must.

Thoughts???

I take it you haven't read all the other threads !!!

Everybody on here crying out for a new midfield !!

Cocaine&Caviar
25-07-2012, 06:15 AM
Play Stephens next to Claros if worst case scenario and we're not signing anyone for that position. Make up for it by having someone 100% attacking minded ahead of them behind Caldwell or Doyle, such as Wotherspoon (or ideally Shiels), with Griffiths on the right, and a new left sider, but their main attribute as pace.

easty
25-07-2012, 06:30 AM
Play Stephens next to Claros if worst case scenario and we're not signing anyone for that position. Make up for it by having someone 100% attacking minded ahead of them behind Caldwell or Doyle, such as Wotherspoon (or ideally Shiels), with Griffiths on the right, and a new left sider, but their main attribute as pace.

Play Stephens in centre mid.....that's classic. I'd rather Fenlon played there himself!

sahib
25-07-2012, 07:12 AM

Might work. :agree:

Craig_in_Prague
25-07-2012, 07:40 AM
Play Stephens in centre mid.....that's classic. I'd rather Fenlon played there himself!

LOL

I am really trying to "look forward" to the new season, but it's actually not easy !

We are really honking and unless a decent midfielder comes in, or even a good wide man (to at least look threatining with the damn baw), then we are gonna be seriously bad next season and continue to be out played.
Claros is gone in January; so he's going to need someone if not now, then in the next window.

Plenty players come available in August, so still expect 1-2 more additions (excluding Maybury).

lucky
25-07-2012, 07:43 AM
Stephens is a poor CH, with little football skill so it's very unlikely that he will have the football brain to concentrate and hold his position in the holding CM role. Ideally we need to sign a couple of midfielders but with money tight we might not be able to do so.

gegs70
25-07-2012, 07:52 AM

could we push hanlon into midfld seemed to push forward a cple of times last season and play ohanlon and mcpake at the back with booth at the left side of midfield?

GreenCastle
25-07-2012, 07:53 AM
The least we can expect is a replacement for Ozzy - surely we have something lined up :confused:

Regarding the midfield while Stevenson / Claros will get my full support - I also believe they are good passers of the ball - they do need help in there.

It's been said on here for a while we rarely dominate teams (especially at home) and we need someone who has the ability to run the game and control the tempo of a game. Ok a Latapy/Zemamma type player may be too much to ask but there are players out there in other leagues who have the ability to do this.

Regarding wide players - can't remember the last decent dribbler we had out wide who beats his man and looks dangerous every so often. Sproule while is a good squad player is too hot and cold.

Bottom line is the midfield was woeful last season and it showed in the cup final - if we don't sort it soon big questions will be asked to why not.

JustSimplyHibs
25-07-2012, 07:57 AM
Stephens is a poor CH, with little football skill so it's very unlikely that he will have the football brain to concentrate and hold his position in the holding CM role. Ideally we need to sign a couple of midfielders but with money tight we might not be able to do so.

I'd play Maybury in a DM role with Stevenson, with the 4 attacking options in front of those two (they are all the same calibre) untill we find players willing to play for Hibs and be jeered everytime they touch the ball.

Cocaine&Caviar
25-07-2012, 08:00 AM

Exactly my point.

But with Stephens unquestionable size and "presence", he might actually add something as part of a 3 in the middle, assuming the other 2 are decent with the ball, and if Claros is as good as he was originally hyped, it could work.

-------Williams

Clancy--McPake--Hanlon--Booth
---------------------------------
--------Claros-Stephens--------
---------------------------------
Griffiths------------------NEW LW
-----Shiels/Wotherspoon
----------Caldwell

Apparently Wotherspoon has been at his best for the U21s in that role, and Caldwell seems like the sort of player that could lead the line.

Sumner
25-07-2012, 08:04 AM
Midfield in general ?

.. going by last season, too wee & don't score enough goals.

gegs70
25-07-2012, 08:34 AM
Could stanton and handling be used this season or should we bring in some experienced professional?

hibsbollah
25-07-2012, 08:40 AM
Sammy Stanton will get plenty of game time this season from what ive heard.
He needs some help though. As the Spanish say...

Desempenar el quijotesco papel de Matty Jack.

sparkiedelpaco7
25-07-2012, 09:19 AM
Williams

Maybury(or Other RB) -- McPake -- Clancy -- Hanlon(or Other LB)

Sproule(or Other RM) -- Cairney -- Deano(or Other LM)

Wotherspoon

Doyle -- Griffiths

SmokieJoe
25-07-2012, 09:27 AM
Have i missed something lately? Everyone keeps on about a new left midfielder, Pa Kujabi is the man and i'm sure he will track back, be able to run with the ball at his feet and cross a decnt ball into the box.

joe_hfc
25-07-2012, 09:43 AM
Have i missed something lately? Everyone keeps on about a new left midfielder, Pa Kujabi is the man and i'm sure he will track back, be able to run with the ball at his feet and cross a decnt ball into the box.

I think that too. He's very attacking minded, good link up play, likes to hug the sideline, and has a decent left foot, fast, bit of skill.

His weakness is being a bit of a bombscare in defence. Put him at LM and its a viable option?

I reckon so :agree:

easty
25-07-2012, 09:47 AM

If you think Pa Kujabi is the answer to our left mid problem then, aye, you've missed something. 'Something' probably being all Hibs games since January. :greengrin

Cocaine&Caviar
25-07-2012, 09:56 AM
Williams

Maybury(or Other RB) -- McPake -- Clancy -- Hanlon(or Other LB)

Sproule(or Other RM) -- Cairney -- Deano(or Other LM)

Wotherspoon

Doyle -- Griffiths

Whos going to put a tackle in?

Shouldnt ever wear the Green again.

RoscoHibby
25-07-2012, 11:31 AM
I actually agree with the playing Stephens as DM, or the much touted 'matty jack role'

Some people on here questioning the laddies ability, when Jack was never a fitba player. Stephens is bigger, stronger, more athletic, and doesn't smoke either (to the best of my knowledge)

I'd have him sitting in the front of the back 4 along with Claros. Long ball forward into midfield...Bang, he's gonna win it in the air. Loose ball in midfield, he's prob gonna win it. Essentially all he needs to do is win his headers/tackles and play a 5/10yrd pass, which he's more than capable of doing. Plus, having seen it when Bamba was played in there...your average SPL midfielder has a tendancy to disappear after being volleyed right in the air by someone much bigger than them a coupla times. Would take so much pressure of our defence and let us play further up the park.

FWIW, still think we need someone in the Pat McGinlay mould. Believe Cairney will get some goals but looks like he's more of a wide player drifting in.

GreenCastle
25-07-2012, 11:36 AM
Kujabi - while he had a shocker in the final and his free kicks have been interesting to say the least - I do believe the guy can offer something to the team.

He had several solid games when he first stated playing and thought he was decent in the semi against Aberdeen.

I think he's shown more in a few months than Galbraith who seems to have been here for years.

He's an honest guy who gives everything so although may not be our top player gets too much stick on here :agree:

Cocaine&Caviar
25-07-2012, 11:38 AM
I actually agree with the playing Stephens as DM, or the much touted 'matty jack role'

Some people on here questioning the laddies ability, when Jack was never a fitba player. Stephens is bigger, stronger, more athletic, and doesn't smoke either (to the best of my knowledge)

I'd have him sitting in the front of the back 4 along with Claros. Long ball forward into midfield...Bang, he's gonna win it in the air. Loose ball in midfield, he's prob gonna win it. Essentially all he needs to do is win his headers/tackles and play a 5/10yrd pass, which he's more than capable of doing. Plus, having seen it when Bamba was played in there...your average SPL midfielder has a tendancy to disappear after being volleyed right in the air by someone much bigger than them a coupla times. Would take so much pressure of our defence and let us play further up the park.

FWIW, still think we need someone in the Pat McGinlay mould. Believe Cairney will get some goals but looks like he's more of a wide player drifting in.

Great point.

easty
25-07-2012, 11:45 AM

Sorry Rosco, but almost your whole post is nonsence. The last sentance aside, it's all crap.

Stephens has played at the back, plenty long balls played at him....does he win them all? Nope. When he's played at the back and there's a loose ball....does he win them? No, he dives in, probably with his eyes closed judging by the end result most of the time. Likening him to Bamba playing in the middle is ludicrous, Sol is a very comfortable footballer on the ball, almost to the point where he looks more like a midfielder than a defender sometimes. Who has played for his national team (a good team at that), then went from us to Leicester and then Trabzonspor. David Stephens is a defender who looks one of the least composed footballers I've ever seen. He is to football what Vinnie Jones is to acting, it just doesnt look right, it's brash, it's clunky and you sit back wondering "how did he ever get to where he is?".

Matty Jack was also a much much better player.

allezsauzee
25-07-2012, 12:01 PM
Kevin Thomson on loan from Middlesboro?

SouthMoroccoStu
25-07-2012, 12:03 PM
Do we have any realistic names that we would want to get in this role?

RoscoHibby
25-07-2012, 12:06 PM
Well I obviously disagree with you easty.

This is the SPL we're talking about here. And lot of teams are likely to go with younger players or those not of as 'high a standard' as previously. I think a big brute in there would be useful. Especially as our midfield was completely non-existant at times.

The lad Stephens has his limitations, but case you hadn't noticed, we're ****ing skint and a raft of signings doesn't look likely. Horses for courses mate. I for one definitely think its worth a try.

Your point about Bamba being a better player is a ridiculous one. Stevie wonder could see that bamba is a better player. But when played at DM, thats what he was there for, win his headers, tackles, pop the ball off 5yds to a full back and scare the b'jesus out the opposition, and it worked. In fact when he did do anything else, go on a 'mazy' run, the whole stadium would hold its breath...

And kid yourself on, Jack was in there with John O'Neil, latapy and Sauzee FFS, he was brutal. Thats aw he done, munched someone and played a simple 5yd pass. But we need someone to do that.

berty_mee
25-07-2012, 12:24 PM
That's Maybury played in pretty much every pre season game so far, surely there's a deal to be done there? I see he's played the holding midfielder role too... Surely won't be playing such a big role in the run up to the start of the season if he isn't to be offered a deal?

Franck Stanton
25-07-2012, 01:15 PM
Kujabi - while he had a shocker in the final and his free kicks have been interesting to say the least - I do believe the guy can offer something to the team.

He had several solid games when he first stated playing and thought he was decent in the semi against Aberdeen.

I think he's shown more in a few months than Galbraith who seems to have been here for years.

He's an honest guy who gives everything so although may not be our top player gets too much stick on here :agree:

Agree completly, Kujabi is , it appears, being made the MAIN skapegoat for that final. Okay , have to agree he had a shocker - but then again, apart from McPake, so did every other Hibs player and they haven't recieved nowhere near as much stick. Seems everyone has forgotten the pin-point ball into O'Connor in semi-final for his goal. Kujabi is a good left - sided wing back, good pace, can tackle, cross a good ball, agree however he is suspect at left back. Lighten up guys, he has a lot to offer.

blackpoolhibs
25-07-2012, 01:49 PM
Agree completly, Kujabi is , it appears, being made the MAIN skapegoat for that final. Okay , have to agree he had a shocker - but then again, apart from McPake, so did every other Hibs player and they haven't recieved nowhere near as much stick. Seems everyone has forgotten the pin-point ball into O'Connor in semi-final for his goal. Kujabi is a good left - sided wing back, good pace, can tackle, cross a good ball, agree however he is suspect at left back. Lighten up guys, he has a lot to offer.

I dont agree, he's a poor player who is pinpointed as ONE of the weak links in the team. Fenlon has also seen this, and thats why he's playing Hanlon at left back now. We need much better than him, and to be fair a few others too.

Lucius Apuleius
25-07-2012, 02:08 PM
Just so as I know, could someone tell me who the last "midfield general" we had was so as I know what type of player we are looking for?

JohnStephens91
25-07-2012, 02:19 PM
Kujabi is not a defender, he is however a left sided midfielder. He has the pace and enthusiasm to perform well in the SPL as long as he is not an out and out defender I feel he could be a short-term answer to the problem with width in the squad.

SouthMoroccoStu
25-07-2012, 02:28 PM
Kujabi is not a defender, he is however a left sided midfielder. He has the pace and enthusiasm to perform well in the SPL as long as he is not an out and out defender I feel he could be a short-term answer to the problem with width in the squad.

Agree with that :agree:

HibsMax
25-07-2012, 02:28 PM

Thoughts???

No. It's mentioned in about every 3rd post. :)

Hibiza
25-07-2012, 02:35 PM
Leave it to Pat , quite sure he knows it. :flag:

basehibby
25-07-2012, 02:37 PM
Got to agree we are desperately in need of quality recruits for the midfield - we have recruited Cairney who looks like a decent acquisition but is untried at SPL level. At the same time though we have lost one of our best midfield performers from last term in Osbourne - so we are evens at best in comparison to a midfield devoid of creativity and unlikely to win many battles from last season.

Of course there is still plenty of time to go until the end of the window, but wouldn't it be good for ST sales etc if we went into game 1 of the new season with a team that looked capable of winning a game for a change???

Andy74
25-07-2012, 02:50 PM
Just so as I know, could someone tell me who the last "midfield general" we had was so as I know what type of player we are looking for?

Take your pick from Matty Jack or Craig Rocastle I believe. :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
25-07-2012, 02:54 PM

Its a little surprising that Fenlon went after Jim Goodwin i suppose as that midfield general we are talking about, but have ended up with Cairney, and also lost Ozzy?

I'd be very surprised if another midfielder did not come in.

basehibby
25-07-2012, 02:55 PM

Kujabi may have had a bit of a nightmare final (along with virtually all his teammates) but aren't you forgetting something in your analysis?

He came in to the side in january and secured his place by being markedly better at left back than any of his competitors for the position over a sustained stretch of matches - including Hanlon, Docherty and Booth IIRC. Sure he is not the most solid defender but he is nowhere near as bad as being made out by many on here - he is positionally aware and surprisingly good in the air for a guy not over-endowed with vertical inches.

IMO LB is one of our lesser worries at the moment - as the thread title suggests we deperately need some quality in midfield (as well as a target man striker). Perhaps, as you suggest, both Kujabi and Booth might be considered as options for the left side of midfield as they can both bring creative and attacking qualities to the mix - but we can also be pretty certain that both of them will feature at left back as well at various junctures. Maybe employing them both at once would in fact be the best option as they both have experience at left back as well as posessing a threat going forward and would therefore be a lot more likely to cover for each other at LB than say Griffiths or Sproule for example.

Lucius Apuleius
25-07-2012, 02:59 PM

Aha, so it is not just since the 2007 LC final we have been going downhill? :greengrin

GreenCastle
25-07-2012, 03:03 PM
Leave it to Pat , quite sure he knows it. :flag:

The worrying thing is midfield wasn't up to much last season and we have only currently brought in 1 player in that area in the off season.

The minimum I would expect is a replacement for Ozzy before the start of the season - Maybury doesn't count.

delbert
25-07-2012, 03:33 PM
Aha, so it is not just since the 2007 LC final we have been going downhill? :greengrin

You could analyze our current squad adfinitum and come up with pluses and minuses all over the place. However if you break it down, we are still lightweight in midfield, and an injury or two from being threadbare up front. Yes we don't want to read too much into friendlies although you think back to the nightmare pre-season under Mixu 3 seasons ago when we got gubbed by almost everyone we played and that was probably the start of our real slump, as far as I remember.

I think we still lack and are crying out for an out and out target man to hold the ball up and bring others into the play, neither Griffiths or Doyle are that type of player. If we dont go down that route then we must be trying to get down the flanks and in behind teams, but that requires pace and a decent crosser of the ball, again at present we have neither, with both Sproule and Galbraith being 2 of the worst crossers of a ball I have ever seen. So bare minimum of one more required up front, ideally both roles need filled.

Delighted we brought in Cairney, as midfield is where we have been weakest of all for over 2 seasons, we have had a midfield who dont tackle and quite simply dont hassle other teams, we simply concede possession and end up with 2 banks of 4 strung across our penalty area, Osbourne and Soares were guisers who have collectively never put a tackle in since arriving at Easter Road, I doubt Osbournes jersey would have needed washed when he left, and it utterly baffles me when I see people saying he was one of our best midfielders last season, because in those comments are the root of our problem - Soares, Osbourne, Claros & Stevenson, absolutely honking. If we can get 2 genuinely combative midfielders in to help Cairney, I will be delighted and if they can pass the ball accurately more than 10 yards, result! Out of the previous 4 incumbents, all should have been punted but at least Lewis will always give you 100% whilst rarely getting involved in putting it about if we need to be physical, but the ability to run around makes nobody a footballer.

Our current financial predicament makes 4 new signings probably unrealistic, but I reckon we are at least that away from being a genuine top 6 side, yes other sides have been weakened, but we are starting from an incredibly low base, the worst side in living memory.Having said that, hope our fans back the club, buy the season tickets and get right behind the team, and heres hoping Fenlon can pull a couple of rabbits out the hat before the end of the deadline.

lyonhibs
25-07-2012, 03:36 PM

Jarkko Wiss or Brian Kerr - take your pick.

God's own central midfield right there :agree:

Lucius Apuleius
25-07-2012, 04:03 PM
Jarkko Wiss or Brian Kerr - take your pick.

God's own central midfield right there :agree:

No need to take the Jarko :greengrin

basehibby
25-07-2012, 04:18 PM
.............and it utterly baffles me when I see people saying he (Osbourne) was one of our best midfielders last season, because in those comments are the root of our problem - Soares, Osbourne, Claros & Stevenson, absolutely honking. If we can get 2 genuinely combative midfielders in to help Cairney, I will be delighted and if they can pass the ball accurately more than 10 yards, result! .........

That's just the facts mate - Osbourne was probably Calderwoods ONLY decent signing (excluding loans like Griffiths) - he was a regular in the side under both Calderwood and Fenlon for one good reason - he was probably the ONLY reasonably consistent performer in the whole midfield (excluding Lewis who seems to get a nose bleed when within 10 yards of the opponents' box) - and the fact that another side was willing to pay cash for him lends weight to the idea that he was not a bad player. I agree that the midfield as a whole was gash but that doesn't change the fact that Osbourne was one of the better players in it.

I agree with the substance of your post though - last season's midfield was nowhere near good enough and much more than the signing of Cairney will be required to address this glaring weakness.

Franck Stanton
25-07-2012, 04:20 PM
I dont agree, he's a poor player who is pinpointed as ONE of the weak links in the team. Fenlon has also seen this, and thats why he's playing Hanlon at left back now. We need much better than him, and to be fair a few others too.

Totally agree with the viewpoint Kujabi is not a left back. I said so in my post. I do however think that he is a capable left sided midfielder/wing back. If he was playing on the left with a full back behind him his natural attacking flair would come to the fore .

jamieross
25-07-2012, 04:20 PM
The worrying thing is midfield wasn't up to much last season and we have only currently brought in 1 player in that area in the off season.

The minimum I would expect is a replacement for Ozzy before the start of the season - Maybury doesn't count.

I think the way Fenlons went about it has been right, start by making us harder to score goals against from the back, we seem to have a good quality spl back 5 imo, we were well short of strikers the last few weeks, hes started sorting that by bringing back Sparky, it seems we have a good number of midfielders just now compared to other areas so maybe thats why the other areas have been strengthened first.

I do agree though despite the quantity of midfielders we have we severely lack quality especially a good defensive ball winner and at least one winger who can beat a man and cross the ball. Maybe a taller target man sized striker who can head the ball. Surely not too much to ask is it? :flag:

SouthMoroccoStu
25-07-2012, 04:22 PM
I think the way Fenlons went about it has been right, start by making us harder to score goals against from the back, we seem to have a good quality spl back 5 imo, we were well short of strikers the last few weeks, hes started sorting that by bringing back Sparky, it seems we have a good number of midfielders just now compared to other areas so maybe thats why the other areas have been strengthened first.

I do agree though despite the quantity of midfielders we have we severely lack quality especially a good defensive ball winner and at least one winger who can beat a man and cross the ball. Maybe a taller target man sized striker who can head the ball. Surely not too much to ask is it? :flag:

Hope your right:confused:

jamieross
25-07-2012, 04:31 PM
So do i! Infact im sure thousands of people do but we wont know till the seasons underway

O'Rourke3
25-07-2012, 06:35 PM
:hijack: Jack, Rocastle, Wiss etc were no Generals, they were the foot soldiers that won the ball and gave it to the guy in the middle who could point and pass. We've recently had many who did the pointing but failed miserably on the passing bit. If we are so short of funds that we need to consider putting an awful CB into the Matty Jack role, then lets try it. Jack was one of the worst CBs I'd seen(up to that point) but was a revelation in front of the back 4. For the record compared to Mayday Murdoch, MJ was James McPake.

jimmythefish
25-07-2012, 07:41 PM

boozy, he could, pass, tackle & chip in wae a goal or 2 a proper midfield general,

sesoim
25-07-2012, 08:35 PM

I would consider Kujabi on the LW, but he should NEVER play in defence ever again. Although almost everyone WAS sh*** in the final, he was the main culprit with his careless recklessness.

Booth should be our first choice LW though - I'm sick of seeing Wotherspoon, Sproule and Galbraith doing nothing out there.

Bristolhibby
26-07-2012, 07:20 AM
There has only been one midfield General in recent memory.

General Le God.

J

Cocaine&Caviar
26-07-2012, 08:08 AM
boozy, he could, pass, tackle & chip in wae a goal or 2 a proper midfield general,

He was great at dictating Tempo, which is ideally what we would like of Claros, but didnt see too many tackles that were effective tbh.

Steve-O
26-07-2012, 08:45 AM
3 more good signings required AT LEAST or we are looking at another season of utter pish and I feel sorry for all of you who are paying 400 quid to sit through it, again.

Lucius Apuleius
26-07-2012, 08:47 AM
3 more good signings required AT LEAST or we are looking at another season of utter pish and I feel sorry for all of you who are paying 400 quid to sit through it, again.

Thanks Steve, but we really don't need people feeling sorry for us. We do it willingly.

GGTTH

Ray_
26-07-2012, 09:10 AM
Thanks Steve, but we really don't need people feeling sorry for us. We do it willingly.

GGTTH

:rolleyes: Oh dear, haven't you noticed that there are fewer and fewer people willing to do that & for the reason's Steve was getting at & there plenty who have but want far better.

marinello59
26-07-2012, 09:13 AM
:rolleyes: Oh dear, haven't you noticed that there are fewer and fewer people willing to do that & for the reason's Steve was getting at & there plenty who have but want far better.

Why the rolling eyes smiley? :confused:

easty
26-07-2012, 09:23 AM
He was great at dictating Tempo, which is ideally what we would like of Claros, but didnt see too many tackles that were effective tbh.

When we signed Claros, the reports were all that he was good on the ball and a hard working tackler, "the pitbull", I sort of thought he would be very Boozy-like. Turns out I was wrong.

Lucius Apuleius
26-07-2012, 10:13 AM

I have noticed, but I still do not want another man's pity for me to go and watch Hibernian play football. :rolleyes:

marinello59
26-07-2012, 10:16 AM
I have noticed, but I still do not want another man's pity for me to go and watch Hibernian play football. :rolleyes:

You mean...................you enjoy it? :greengrin

(Me too. Shhhhhhh.)

Lucius Apuleius
26-07-2012, 10:22 AM
You mean...................you enjoy it? :greengrin

(Me too. Shhhhhhh.)

Hmmm, enjoy??? I guess everything is relative. Yes, I still enjoyed going to the Iona having a Guinness or three with mates I have gone to the football with for over 40 years. Enjoyed some of the games? Nope, not very enjoyable at all, however it is Hibernian FC and I know we are crap and I know we are not playing well and I know we should be better but as you know M59 I absolutely hate getting told it on every ****** thread. Pity or sympathy is something I don't need. :greengrin

marinello59
26-07-2012, 10:28 AM
Hmmm, enjoy??? I guess everything is relative. Yes, I still enjoyed going to the Iona having a Guinness or three with mates I have gone to the football with for over 40 years. Enjoyed some of the games? Nope, not very enjoyable at all, however it is Hibernian FC and I know we are crap and I know we are not playing well and I know we should be better but as you know M59 I absolutely hate getting told it on every ****** thread. Pity or sympathy is something I don't need. :greengrin

I can sympathise with that. :doh:

Keith_M
26-07-2012, 10:34 AM
I hear Robbie Savage is availalble

:greengrin

Steve-O
26-07-2012, 10:42 AM

GGTTH

But you're not going to be sitting through it are you? And yes, I know you are buying a season ticket, and fair play if you can afford it. I've sat through 5 games in the last 18 months and basically all of them were tantamount to torture for the most part. I do not see any signs that things are really improving to an acceptable level. I hope I'm wrong.

Lucius Apuleius
26-07-2012, 11:47 AM
But you're not going to be sitting through it are you? And yes, I know you are buying a season ticket, and fair play if you can afford it. I've sat through 5 games in the last 18 months and basically all of them were tantamount to torture for the most part. I do not see any signs that things are really improving to an acceptable level. I hope I'm wrong.

So do I mate, so do I. You are correct I won't be sitting watching most of it, but know what? It makes the games I do get to all the more pleasurable. As I said, pity not needed.

Ray_
26-07-2012, 12:04 PM

Why do you think its all about you? There are others out there that might appreciate that others can feel what they are going through, enough regulars have said watching Hibs can be worse than going to a dentist's surgery?

Lucius Apuleius
26-07-2012, 12:30 PM
Why do you think its all about you? There are others out there that might appreciate that others can feel what they are going through, enough regulars have said watching Hibs can be worse than going to a dentist's surgery?

I don't think it is all about me. Where the heck you getting that from? Steve said he felt sorry for us paying to watch Hibs, I said I don't want his pity. I have never seen that comment saying it is worse than going to a dentist's surgery. Could you show me where that is please? If people feel that way then I guess there are two ways to look at it. You either don't go and suffer the pain 24/7 or you do go and suffer the pain for 90 minutes. Strange analogy IMO.

Steve-O
27-07-2012, 07:21 AM
I don't think it is all about me. Where the heck you getting that from? Steve said he felt sorry for us paying to watch Hibs, I said I don't want his pity. I have never seen that comment saying it is worse than going to a dentist's surgery. Could you show me where that is please? If people feel that way then I guess there are two ways to look at it. You either don't go and suffer the pain 24/7 or you do go and suffer the pain for 90 minutes. Strange analogy IMO.

Some people want pity, and I am gonna give it to them!

I PITY THE FOOL, SUCKA!! :greengrin

Lucius Apuleius
27-07-2012, 07:25 AM
Some people want pity, and I am gonna give it to them!

I PITY THE FOOL, SUCKA!! :greengrin

:greengrin Then I pity the fools as well.