PDA

View Full Version : Match Updates Union Berlin 2 v 0 Hibernian FT

Mikey
24-07-2012, 04:45 PM
Get yer updates here!

At The Edge
24-07-2012, 05:04 PM
Team

Williams, Clancy, McPake, Stephens, Hanlon, Claros, Stevenson, Sproule, Wotherspoon, Doyle, Griffiths

Subs: Antell, Caldwell, O'Hanlon, Booth, Kujabi, Cairney, Handling, Stanton, Maybury

according to twitter playing a 4-2-3-1

blackpoolhibs
24-07-2012, 05:06 PM
Team

Williams, Clancy, McPake, Stephens, Hanlon, Claros, Stevenson, Sproule, Wotherspoon, Doyle, Griffiths

Subs: Antell, Caldwell, O'Hanlon, Booth, Kujabi, Cairney, Handling, Stanton, Maybury

Unless we get more players in, thats what i'd imagine is our starting line up for the new season. :rolleyes:

SteveHFC
24-07-2012, 05:07 PM
Unless we get more players in, thats what i'd imagine is our starting line up for the new season. :rolleyes:

Agreed :(

pentlando
24-07-2012, 05:07 PM
We sticking to the new 4-2-3-1? That team seems to fit in it nicely enough, with Doyle wide left?

blackpoolhibs
24-07-2012, 05:10 PM
We sticking to the new 4-2-3-1? That team seems to fit in it nicely enough, with Doyle wide left?

Deary me, i could make that team fit in nicely in a 4-4-2, or a 3-5-1, or a 5-0-5. It still wouldn't win many football matches though. :rolleyes:

BT58
24-07-2012, 05:16 PM
Surely cairney will be in starting 11 against utd
Bt

matty_f
24-07-2012, 05:22 PM
Bt

Would think so. :agree:

blackpoolhibs
24-07-2012, 05:22 PM
Bt

He might, although not sure who he'd replace? He's played 2 sitting midfielders all the way through the friendlies, so i'd imagine it wont be Claros or Stevenson. It would most probably be between Wotherspoon and Doyle, my money would be on him replacing Doyle. :dunno:

Scooter
24-07-2012, 05:25 PM
I would think Doyle would be upto and griffiths on the left side of the 3

AlbertK86
24-07-2012, 05:27 PM
Worrying times if that is our first eleven for the new season

Would rather have Stanton and Cairney in for Sproule and Spoony

Maybury in at RB with Clancy into CH instead of Stephens

Also need somebody bigger and stronger than our two midgets in defensive mid. Inclined to go with Claros plus new

blackpoolhibs
24-07-2012, 05:28 PM
I would think Doyle would be upto and griffiths on the left side of the 3

Cairney seems to favour the left side too, i dont think Doyle or Griffiths are particularly good playing up front on their own, maybe he will go with both, and sacrifice a midfielder? :dunno:

erin go bragh
24-07-2012, 05:29 PM
God no , that midfield is weaker than last seasons [by a baw hair]

We are crying out for a creative midfielder ffs .

ggtth

truehibernian
24-07-2012, 05:31 PM

Why so negative BH (just interested, not being nippy) ? To be honest the lads pre-season has gone well, gone without much fuss and the results have been okay - opposition clearly has varied and tonight will be a tough wee test. But unless you've seen Stanton, Handling and Caldwell etc close up I'm afraid Hibs fans, myself included, surely have to have faith that this squad will gel and be a more cohesive and steady unit.

Adding McPake, Maybury, Williams and Clancy has added grit, steel and experience. The young boys I mentioned are ready - more than ready. I had the pleasure of watching young Sam in a game recently, not in a Hibs shirt I may add :greengrin, and the boy is class - touch of arrogance that you need at this level and one who is comfy on both feet. Handling for me is going to be a wee star.

Squadwise I think we will add another 3 perhaps 4.

PeeJay
24-07-2012, 05:35 PM
Union Berlin have had 6 friendlies / test games with 63 goals for and 2 against - a tough test for Hibs this evening I fear.

whiskyhibby
24-07-2012, 05:37 PM
Why so negative BH (just interested, not being nippy) ? To be honest the lads pre-season has gone well, gone without much fuss and the results have been okay - opposition clearly has varied and tonight will be a tough wee test. But unless you've seen Stanton, Handling and Caldwell etc close up I'm afraid Hibs fans, myself included, surely have to have faith that this squad will gel and be a more cohesive and steady unit.

Adding McPake, Maybury, Williams and Clancy has added grit, steel and experience. The young boys I mentioned are ready - more than ready. I had the pleasure of watching young Sam in a game recently, not in a Hibs shirt I may add :greengrin, and the boy is class - touch of arrogance that you need at this level and one who is comfy on both feet. Handling for me is going to be a wee star.

Good to hear the feedback on the ex U19 players, in the past we have not been worked about putting the likes of Broony, Thommo, Fletch, Riordan etc into the team at an early age if they are good enough, I think the fans expectations and the poor form over the last 3 seasons have hindered this........hopefully they all will make a big impact this season

whiskyhibby
24-07-2012, 05:39 PM
Any news yet from those at the game?

blackpoolhibs
24-07-2012, 05:41 PM

ggtth

I agree we need another midfielder, i actually think its two we need. Claros and Stevenson are just very poor SPL players. They are now classed as sitting midfielders, they dont have great ability to pick a pass, and are shut down much too easily for me, and we end up going backwards. A lack of real pace or wide men does not help either, nor a man up front who's good at holding the ball up?

Our defence will hopefully be better, although Stephens does not have to look far for his critics, i'd imagin the back 4 will be Clancy McPake Stevens and Hanlon, with Williams behind. Thats not bad, if they play at their best?

Creativity will have to come from Cairney or Wotherspoon, or Griffiths will have to do it on his own? Two better midfielders, central midfielders who can create and control a game are needed. We wont control many games with what we have at the moment.

Unless the kids are good, its more of the same i'm afraid.

BarneyK
24-07-2012, 05:42 PM
Union Berlin have had 6 friendlies / test games with 63 goals for and 2 against - a tough test for Hibs this evening I fear.

They're averaging 10 goals a game...really? It is football they play, isn't it?

JHFC
24-07-2012, 05:42 PM
Any news yet from those at the game?

"@HibernianFCClub: Early chance for the home side when a free kick flashed wide of the target on seven minutes #hibsontour"

PeeJay
24-07-2012, 05:45 PM

Well to be fair they've been playing teams that are not anywhere near as good as we are, they've been working their way up to US - we are seen as a big challenge - a proper team...

3pm
24-07-2012, 05:46 PM

Stephens surely won't play.

BarneyK
24-07-2012, 05:47 PM

To answer my own question, blimey...

Thurs 21/06/2012 18.00 clock Selection of the island of Ruegen 0 Union Berlin 12
Wed 04.07.2012 19.00 clock FC Strausberg 1 Union Berlin 2
Sat 07.07.2012 14.00 clock SV Green White Annaburg 0 Union Berlin 20
Wed 11.07.2012 19.00 clock VSG Altglienicke 0 Union Berlin 5
Sat 07.14.2012 15.00 clock VfB Pomerania Löcknitz 1 Union Berlin 23
Sat 21.07.2012 15.00 clock First FC Union Berlin 1 VfB Lübeck 0

blackpoolhibs
24-07-2012, 05:48 PM

I think he will, I think Fenlon will play Hanlon at left back.

dmc1875

:agree:

I like the thought of a 4-2-3-1, attacking minded with wide players. But... we have no decent wide players... and no decent hard hitting centre mids....

Good idea but a) we are not going to score any goals and b) we are going to leave our back four perilously exposed..

nonshinyfinish

They beat a team called Löcknitz 23-1.

I think all the teams they've played are from regional leagues. Now let's show them what the original wee team can do. :wink:

Part/Time Supporter
To answer my own question, blimey...

Thurs 21/06/2012 18.00 clock Selection of the island of Ruegen 0 Union Berlin 12
Wed 04.07.2012 19.00 clock FC Strausberg 1 Union Berlin 2
Sat 07.07.2012 14.00 clock SV Green White Annaburg 0 Union Berlin 20
Wed 11.07.2012 19.00 clock VSG Altglienicke 0 Union Berlin 5
Sat 07.14.2012 15.00 clock VfB Pomerania Löcknitz 1 Union Berlin 23
Sat 21.07.2012 15.00 clock First FC Union Berlin 1 VfB Lübeck 0

Lubeck would be the only (semi?) professional team in that list. The rest of them are like the mob Aberdeen beat 12-0 on Saturday.

BarneyK
24-07-2012, 05:50 PM
Lubeck would be the only (semi?) professional team in that list. The rest of them are like the mob Aberdeen beat 12-0 on Saturday.

All the same, I cannae see us beating Gala Fairydean or Edinburgh City 23-1. :greengrin

nonshinyfinish
24-07-2012, 05:51 PM

Lubeck are in the fourth tier, no idea if they're fully pro or not.

Best marzipan in the world though. :agree:

BarneyK
24-07-2012, 05:53 PM
:agree:

I like the thought of a 4-2-3-1, attacking minded with wide players. But... we have no decent wide players... and no decent hard hitting centre mids....

Good idea but a) we are not going to score any goals and b) we are going to leave our back four perilously exposed..

It's the formation we've played all pre-season and we've scored goals...and not conceded that many. Personally, I like the formation. If we had better players to play it, fine, but let's see if Paddy can get the players at his disposal to play it efficiently.

3pm
24-07-2012, 05:55 PM
I think he will, I think Fenlon will play Hanlon at left back.

So do I. However, I'd prefer Maybury to play RB and Clancy to play CH.

That's hypothetical just now of course.

JHFC
24-07-2012, 05:56 PM
think we need a match update.

"@HibernianFCClub: Griffiths shot saved after great ball through from Stevenson. Good play from Hibs #hibsontour"

JHFC
24-07-2012, 05:57 PM
"@HibernianFCClub: Deflected Griffiths shot saved by Union keeper Glinker on 23 minutes #hibsontour"

Seems like we are on top atm.

Brightside
24-07-2012, 05:58 PM

Fenlon obv has some major concerns about Left Back if he is willing to lose Hanlon from the centre and shove in Stephens. We are going to end up with a very flat back four.

Pretty Boy
24-07-2012, 05:58 PM
"@HibernianFCClub: Deflected Griffiths shot saved by Union keeper Glinker on 23 minutes #hibsontour"

Cue a goal on the break for Union and a Hibs collapse.

CMac1988
24-07-2012, 05:59 PM

"@HibernianFCClub: Griffiths shot saved after great ball through from Stevenson. Good play from Hibs #hibsontour"

Just incase some of you aren't already looking in.

https://twitter.com/@HibernianFCClub

nonshinyfinish

:agree: On course to limit them to single figures.

Kojock
Bt

Went to both Leuven and Zeeland games and Cairney looks like he is struggling for fitness and seems overweight. :tin hat:

Infact he reminded me of Maybury - thats the roundabout not Alan Im talking about. :duck:

Offside Trap
24-07-2012, 06:02 PM

Good to hear about the youngsters and definitely grounds for optimism! Notice the U20s have a friendly v East Fife 2pm tomorrow at Bayview. Gonna head along and see who else might be making the step-up this season.

hibeequinn
24-07-2012, 06:05 PM
sounds like hibs are dominating the game :)

truehibernian
24-07-2012, 06:09 PM
Good to hear about the youngsters and definitely grounds for optimism! Notice the U20s have a friendly v East Fife 2pm tomorrow at Bayview. Gonna head along and see who else might be making the step-up this season.

Jay Doyle (very young though) seems to be having a very good pre-season but I am keeping my eye on Alex Harris after being tipped of about him two seasons ago by an SFA coach (as in 'one to keep an eye on') before last season - he has been in and out the side (19's), often appears from the bench, but he looks a real talent. Finally sorted his barnet out too (unless it has grown back in the last 4 weeks). Nikki or Brooster may be able to add more about AH, but for me he looks a person very confident in taking players on, creative and not scared to shoot. Needs to bulk up a little (spindly legs) but I saw him recently and he looks like he has been doing gym work. Jordan Forster looks solid too.

MSK
24-07-2012, 06:12 PM
Jay Doyle (very young though) seems to be having a very good pre-season but I am keeping my eye on Alex Harris after being tipped of about him two seasons ago by an SFA coach (as in 'one to keep an eye on') before last season - he has been in and out the side (19's), often appears from the bench, but he looks a real talent. Finally sorted his barnet out too (unless it has grown back in the last 4 weeks). Nikki or Brooster may be able to add more about AH, but for me he looks a person very confident in taking players on, creative and not scared to shoot. Needs to bulk up a little (spindly legs) but I saw him recently and he looks like he has been doing gym work. Jordan Forster looks solid too.Is there a lad McKercher with the youth teams at the moment ..poss U17/s ..?

Offside Trap
24-07-2012, 06:13 PM
Jay Doyle (very young though) seems to be having a very good pre-season but I am keeping my eye on Alex Harris after being tipped of about him two seasons ago by an SFA coach (as in 'one to keep an eye on') before last season - he has been in and out the side (19's), often appears from the bench, but he looks a real talent. Finally sorted his barnet out too (unless it has grown back in the last 4 weeks). Nikki or Brooster may be able to add more about AH, but for me he looks a person very confident in taking players on, creative and not scared to shoot. Needs to bulk up a little (spindly legs) but I saw him recently and he looks like he has been doing gym work. Jordan Forster looks solid too.

Cheers - will watch out for AH (and the barnet!) tomorrow.

fatbloke
24-07-2012, 06:13 PM

Would rather have Stanton and Cairney in for Sproule and Spoony

Maybury in at RB with Clancy into CH instead of Stephens

Also need somebody bigger and stronger than our two midgets in defensive mid. Inclined to go with Claros plus new

That statement is so wrong. Claros is gash end of.

SteveHFC
24-07-2012, 06:14 PM
Hibernian FC ‏@HibernianFCClub (https://twitter.com/HibernianFCClub) Union go close with a header from Christian Stuff #hibsontour (https://twitter.com/search/%23hibsontour)

:faf:

nonshinyfinish
24-07-2012, 06:19 PM
Half time.

hibs0666
24-07-2012, 06:20 PM
Ht 0:0

Hibby_G
24-07-2012, 06:22 PM
half time 0-0

AlbertK86
24-07-2012, 06:25 PM
That statement is so wrong. Claros is gash end of.

Opinions again. Maybe not great but IMHO better than Stevenson and as there is no danger we've got insufficient funds for two new CM - which I would want - I'll stick to Claros plus one new.

Northern Hibby
24-07-2012, 06:26 PM
Same :)

LancashireHibby
24-07-2012, 06:29 PM
We've played pretty well to be fair, Sparky is a bit isolated up front though with Doyle out wide.

The atmosphere here is something else, the Union fans are amazing. They've also played 500 Miles and been queuing up to take pictures of the Hibs fans!

inglisavhibs
24-07-2012, 06:30 PM

ggtth
Correction, we are crying out for good players in midfield! I can't bear watching Stevenson again this season as he brings nothing to the party. I hope Booth steps up this year as at least he has a bit talent going forward. Also hope Cairney is a good player as we certainly need something new.Sproull can only be used a sub which leaves us short of pace and power.

SteveHFC
24-07-2012, 06:39 PM
Hibernian FC ‏@HibernianFCClub (https://twitter.com/HibernianFCClub) Union have scored on 50 minutes with a flicked header from Michael Parensen off a free kick

nonshinyfinish
24-07-2012, 06:39 PM
1-0 to Union.

LancashireHibby
24-07-2012, 06:40 PM
1-0 down, flicked header from a free kick. Not great marking at the back. Or at least that's how I saw it from the beer queue.

BarneyK
24-07-2012, 06:40 PM
1-0 berlin :rolleyes:

Pretty Boy
24-07-2012, 06:41 PM
Boooooooo

AlbertK86
24-07-2012, 06:45 PM
Wot division are Berlin

nonshinyfinish
Wot division are Berlin

2. Bundesliga.

.Sean.
Honestly not got a clue why he's persisting with Stephens at centre-half and Hanlon on the left.

1, Hanlon ain't a left-back and 2, Stephens isn't a player.

AlbertK86
24-07-2012, 06:49 PM
2. Bundesliga.

Cheers ... Similar in standard to league 1 down south and SPL I would imagine

Anybody there confirm or deny this

LeighLoyal
24-07-2012, 06:50 PM
Honestly not got a clue why he's persisting with Stephens at centre-half and Hanlon on the left.1, Hanlon ain't a left-back and 2, Stephens isn't a player.Totally agree mate. Stephens isn't a footballer. Kujabi would do me okay at left back. I don't blame him for that cheating prik ref at Hampden.

blackpoolhibs
24-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Totally agree mate. Stephens isn't a footballer. Kujabi would do me okay at left back. I don't blame him for that cheating prik ref at Hampden.

Stephens looked to me last week that he'd lost a fair bit of weight, and did well against Lierse. When Kujabi came on, he was an absolute nightmare. I wouldn't have him anywhere near the team, i'd also like another centre half, Fenlon has been interested in a couple.

Gala Foxes
24-07-2012, 06:54 PM
Totally agree mate. Stephens isn't a footballer. Kujabi would do me okay at left back. I don't blame him for that cheating prik ref at Hampden.

Kujabi was murder at Hampden, nothing to do with ref, Driver gave him the runaround

.Sean.
24-07-2012, 06:56 PM
Kujabi was murder at Hampden, nothing to do with ref, Driver gave him the runaround

Because he is murder. Get rid.

Brooster
24-07-2012, 06:57 PM
Harris aka Boozy is class, better than stanton at the moment in my opinion. He just has that look of class about him when he is on the ball. He is still quite young, I expect big things from him if he keeps improving.

AlbertK86
24-07-2012, 06:58 PM

Driver was on the other wing against Doherty but the wee waiter boy gave him the run around for sure

LeighLoyal
24-07-2012, 06:59 PM
Stephens looked to me last week that he'd lost a fair bit of weight, and did well against Lierse. When Kujabi came on, he was an absolute nightmare. I wouldn't have him anywhere near the team, i'd also like another centre half, Fenlon has been interested in a couple.Not sure Stephens issue was weight, more that he was clueless. Probably do need another centre back but we're stuck with O'Hanlon eating a good wage. I wouldn't write off Kujabi just because he had one dodgy pre season outing.

BarneyK
24-07-2012, 07:01 PM
Maybury and Caldwell on for Claros and Griffiths

truehibernian
24-07-2012, 07:09 PM
Harris aka Boozy is class, better than stanton at the moment in my opinion. He just has that look of class about him when he is on the ball. He is still quite young, I expect big things from him if he keeps improving.

Would agree with that Brooster and hope you are right - I saw him a few weeks ago and he looks like he has grown an inch or two in height as well - difficult to tell after the afro however :agree: that things made him look 6'2 :greengrin

The same coach has also tipped me off about a very young lad, I'm talking late primary school, who has just arrived in Scotland (as in his parents have come here) from Scandinavia (I think it was Finland) - says he's the best youngster he has seen in years and that he has informed Hibs. I watched him myself and he's a precocious wee so and so and you just know he's going to be a player even at that age - never too keen on seeing kids that age with fluorescent pink boots and hairbands though :greengrin

PeeJay
24-07-2012, 07:09 PM

In terms of technical skill, professionalism, crowds, atmosphere, etc. I think Bundesliga 2 is better than the SPL by far (I'm not there though, I'm here :greengrin).

Hibercelona
24-07-2012, 07:11 PM
It's gonna be a long season boys. :cb

nonshinyfinish
24-07-2012, 07:12 PM
In terms of technical skill, professionalism, crowds, atmosphere, etc. I think Bundesliga 2 is better than the SPL by far (I'm not there though, I'm here :greengrin).

Watched Hertha quite a lot in their most recent 2nd division adventure - I'd agree that the overall standard is higher than the SPL.

brog
24-07-2012, 07:12 PM
Not sure Stephens issue was weight, more that he was clueless. Probably do need another centre back but we're stuck with O'Hanlon eating a good wage. I wouldn't write off Kujabi just because he had one dodgy pre season outing.

I'm afraid that after the St J game last season I shudder at thought of Stephens in the green again. I also think he's wrong type to play beside JM. JM is our ball winner, we want someone beside him who can tackle but also read the game & use the ball. Maybury may fit the bill.

AlbertK86
24-07-2012, 07:14 PM
It's gonna be a long season boys. :cb

Again for the third season (at least) in a row

However happy to build slowly and bring the kids thro as long as we can steer clear of relegation

zlatan
24-07-2012, 07:14 PM
Because he is murder. Get rid.

Yup, don't think I'll ever be able to forgive that cup final performance from him.

Brooster
24-07-2012, 07:19 PM
Im sure fenlon will come to the conclusion very soon the stephens isnt up to it. The midfield also worries me, it is not creative in the slightest, cairney could add something but needs to lose weight.

BarneyK
24-07-2012, 07:20 PM
2 nil

nonshinyfinish
24-07-2012, 07:21 PM
Baws.

nonshinyfinish
Full time.

SteveHFC
Fenlon Out :greengrin

AlbertK86
24-07-2012, 07:23 PM
Im sure fenlon will come to the conclusion very soon the stephens isnt up to it. The midfield also worries me, it is not creative in the slightest, cairney could add something but needs to lose weight.

Cairney obviously lived it up on his honeymoon ... The cheek of him eh !!

Spoke to a Patrick fanatic and ST holder at weekend who reckons he'll make the step up nae bother and be a great signing for us

Saorsa
Fenlon Out :greengrinBe quiet MB :wink:

It's no Fenlon out that's needed, it's players in.

Jonnyboy

Shurely shum mishtake here. I've got it on good authority on here that Shtevenson doesnae make telling forward passes :wink:

SteveHFC
24-07-2012, 07:24 PM
Be quiet MB :wink:

:loser: :smug:

Wembley67
24-07-2012, 07:25 PM
relegation is imminent I fear.

BarneyK
24-07-2012, 07:28 PM

The end is nigh :eek:

Hibercelona
24-07-2012, 07:30 PM

We certainly seem to be getting closer and closer.

When you think we just couldn't possibly get any worse, we seem to find a way somehow.

Hopefully things pick up when the season starts, but i'm not holding my breath.

R'Albin
24-07-2012, 07:31 PM
Christ sake guys talk about an over reaction. These guys are probably similar level to a championship team - hardly the end of the world. Jesus :rolleyes:

Wembley67
24-07-2012, 07:32 PM
The end is nigh :eek:

Totally...flaming horses just galloped down my street....

We certainly seem to be getting closer and closer.

When you think we just couldn't possibly get any worse, we seem to find a way somehow.

Hopefully things pick up when the season starts, but i'm not holding my breath.

I was joking, just loving the typical over reactions that happens year in year out now - you get used too it :hnet:

Pretty Boy
24-07-2012, 07:35 PM
The same team beat Hearts 4-0 in a PRE SEASON FRIENDLY last year.

Let's not be overreacting. A 2-0 defeat isn't great but it is a friendly so let's not be giving it talk of 'relegation' and 'getting worse'. Not many of us saw the game so how people can make comments on the performance etc based on a few Twitter updates is beyond me.

Keith_M
24-07-2012, 07:48 PM

I watch Bundesliga 2 regularly and there's few SPL teams could live with the standard. Celtc and maybe Dundee Utd but the rest would have no chance.

Hibercelona
24-07-2012, 07:49 PM
Totally...flaming horses just galloped down my street....

I was joking, just loving the typical over reactions that happens year in year out now - you get used too it :hnet:

I'm not quite sure how it can be considered an over reaction.

It was skin of the teeth stuff last season and the changes we've made to the squad so far haven't exactly filled me with optimism.

We're a far cry off from looking like we'll manage comfortably this season. It could easily be another close shave.

AlbertK86
24-07-2012, 07:51 PM
I watch Bundesliga 2 regularly and there's few SPL teams could live with the standard. Celtc and maybe Dundee Utd but the rest would have no chance.

Well taking that into an account .. No too bad a result.

Aldo
24-07-2012, 07:52 PM
Trying to get players match fit. Trying out new systems/personnel that's what happens in friendlies

Let's wait and see happens a week on Sun and further in before making judgement in the team.

No doubting it's going to be hard, as it always is being a Hibs fan. Let's hope we can get a few more new faces in (hoping for 4 but not holding out for any)

Keep the faith

gringojoe
24-07-2012, 07:52 PM

We will bounce right back up Sevco will not be in the first division to stop us running away with the league.:giruy:

fatbloke
24-07-2012, 07:55 PM
1-0 down, flicked header from a free kick. Not great marking at the back. Or at least that's how I saw it from the beer queue.

:faf:

AlbertK86
24-07-2012, 07:55 PM
Trying to get players match fit. Trying out new systems/personnel that's what happens in friendlies

Let's wait and see happens a week on Sun and further in before making judgement in the team.

No doubting it's going to be hard, as it always is being a Hibs fan. Let's hope we can get a few more new faces in (hoping for 4 but not holding out for any)

Keep the faith

Hoping for four also ... Winger. Big strong bruiser of a CM. big strong bruiser of a CF and Maybury

Think we will get Maybury plus CM or winger at best

LeighLoyal
24-07-2012, 07:56 PM
Well taking that into an account .. No too bad a result.just fear that team that started is going to be what we go with. Soft at the back and a lightweight midfield.

fatbloke
24-07-2012, 07:57 PM

Just wait until the Doom and Gloomers login. You'll get roasted alive:greengrin

Offside Trap
24-07-2012, 07:57 PM

Let's not be overreacting. A 2-0 defeat isn't great but it is a friendly so let's not be giving it talk of 'relegation' and 'getting worse'. Not many of us saw the game so how people can make comments on the performance etc based on a few Twitter updates is beyond me.

Exactly - a friendly and against opposition which is difficult to benchmark in SPL terms. In many ways, this defeat is no bad thing. We all know the team needs 2/3 more players, so actually the result tonight should help reinforce that....it can only provide further leverage for Pat in requesting more investment/funds from the Board. Every cloud etc etc....

AlbertK86
24-07-2012, 07:58 PM
just fear that team that started is going to be what we go with. Soft at the back and a lightweight midfield.

Yep totally agree with your weak points

Aldo
24-07-2012, 07:59 PM
Hoping for four also ... Winger. Big strong bruiser of a CM. big strong bruiser of a CF and Maybury

Think we will get Maybury plus CM or winger at best

Stu. Really to hope your right mate. I
still think Maybury if signed will get a game as DM. Think he may even offer us more than JC in there??

Once injuries and suspensions hit us there is going to be a lot of weight in the shoulders of the younger generation.

Fingers crossed.

muirhousehibby
24-07-2012, 08:01 PM

my m8 played with VfB Wissen 1914 for 10 years, Germany 2nd tier football is far better than scottish football.

They charge £8 roughly to watch it and fill the stadium no problem. Something scottish spl football should be looking into.:agree:

AlbertK86
24-07-2012, 08:05 PM
my m8 played with VfB Wissen 1914 for 10 years, Germany 2nd tier football is far better than scottish football.

They charge £8 roughly to watch it and fill the stadium no problem. Something scottish spl football should be looking into.:agree:

£8 a head would certainly increase our crowds. Even £15 I think would bring more back. The Motherwell away farcical floodlight night showed the way

Must be worth a try to create a bigger atmosphere

LancashireHibby
24-07-2012, 08:15 PM
Union are a good side. The last goal was a soft one but not a bad performance. A good crew of us on the beer now.

bandylegs_jLeighton
24-07-2012, 08:20 PM
Union are a good side. The last goal was a soft one but not a bad performance. A good crew of us on the beer now.

Did any players put in a particularly good performance?
Enjoy the rest if your time in Berlin - its a cracking city.

.Sean.
24-07-2012, 08:20 PM

Who on Earth do you think you are?

I mean, coming on here and trying to act all sensible and reasonable...!? :greengrin

Some folk need to calm it.

J-C
24-07-2012, 08:21 PM
Do you think he's playing 2 holding mids due to the fact we're very short on quality central midfielders, we've just sold 1, so unless he's looking at bringing in someone else, I don't think we have a great chance this coming season, very thin on the ground.:confused:

Fife-Hibee
24-07-2012, 08:23 PM
I'm not quite sure how it can be considered an over reaction.

It was skin of the teeth stuff last season and the changes we've made to the squad so far haven't exactly filled me with optimism.

We're a far cry off from looking like we'll manage comfortably this season. It could easily be another close shave. totally agree

S4uzee
24-07-2012, 08:23 PM
No better off than last season IMO. We have resigned two players that were part of the team although good signings. However, Clancy is probably no better ability wise than Doherty and can't see there being much difference between Williams and Stack and to add to that Osbourne is away. Obviously still need at least 4 players however I don't believe this will happen

PeterboroHibee
24-07-2012, 08:30 PM
Do you think he's playing 2 holding mids due to the fact we're very short on quality central midfielders, we've just sold 1, so unless he's looking at bringing in someone else, I don't think we have a great chance this coming season, very thin on the ground.:confused:

He will be playing 2 players in that role as we have been hopeless at keeping things tight at the back. The question is whether Stevenson and Claros are up to that role?

No better off than last season IMO. We have resigned two players that were part of the team although good signings. However, Clancy is probably no better ability wise than Doherty and can't see there being much difference between Williams and Stack and to add to that Osbourne is away. Obviously still need at least 4 players however I don't believe this will happen

Talk about negativity, thats 2 players that stood out last season and 2 that you are just assuming arent an improvement (without any evidence for that). How about waiting and seeing how we get on when the real football starts.

J-C
24-07-2012, 08:37 PM
He will be playing 2 players in that role as we have been hopeless at keeping things tight at the back. The question is whether Stevenson and Claros are up to that role?

Talk about negativity, thats 2 players that stood out last season and 2 that you are just assuming arent an improvement (without any evidence for that). How about waiting and seeing how we get on when the real football starts.

This is my worry, absolutely no creativity in that starting 11, would prefer a 4-1-4-1 or 4-5-1 inverted xmas tree set up which would give us more strength in the midfield also allowing attacking options.

S4uzee
24-07-2012, 08:41 PM

You say negativity, its being realistic that we haven't improved at all I don't think from last season. How within just little time to the start of the season the midfield which was the worst area last season hasn't been improved but infact weaker due to loss of Osbourne is baffling.

HibsMax
24-07-2012, 08:42 PM
It's preseason and people are writing off Hibs as relegation fodder already.

:flag:

HibsMax
24-07-2012, 08:44 PM
You say negativity, its being realistic that we haven't improved at all I don't think from last season. How within just little time to the start of the season the midfield which was the worst area last season hasn't been improved but infact weaker due to loss of Osbourne is baffling.

If you are so sure of your assessment then why did you say that Clancy and Williams are "probably" not any better than what we had? Maybe because you don't actually know?

Jonnyboy
24-07-2012, 08:46 PM

Astonishing that you can make such a statement! What exactly is it based on?

SteveHFC
24-07-2012, 08:47 PM

Give Williams a chance FFS. :rolleyes:

truehibernian
24-07-2012, 08:52 PM
This is my worry, absolutely no creativity in that starting 11, would prefer a 4-1-4-1 or 4-5-1 inverted xmas tree set up which would give us more strength in the midfield also allowing attacking options.

Hibs have lost out on Hayes and Shiels so he is clearly looking at adding creativity. I hear we lost out to Hayes only because his partner is studying in Aberdeen (or North East) and Shiels clearly wants to try his luck in England or abroad again.

I think we will have 3 more additions, possibly 4. But I also think we may have to move on two.......preferably Stephens and O'Hanlon for me. Both are disasters at the back and offer Hibernian nothing with regards depth. It is going to be tricky to move both because they are so poor. Galbraith, who strangely I rate, has an injury I'm led to believe, so moving him on this window may be hard.

The midfield has worried me for 4 seasons and has lacked goals and creation. We have also had no pace out wide to stretch and occupy full backs - hence we play narrow and through teams at a slow, one paced, probing style - thing is we have players who can't control a ball from a throw in, so that's where it falls down. We also play to deep, our midfield play on top of our defence which invites teams on, and the gap between midfield and front men when we break is far to much - you need to have a couple of midfielders bursting up the middle to help those front men.

The problem Hibs have got though - all these managers, all these culls. No spine to add to as teams like Hearts and Dundee Utd have and can do, despite them losing supposedly key players each season. Next season may be a little bit of huff and puff, but we need to develop a team and key members of it - keep the manager and let him add a couple at a time. Continuity is key, and it also gives youth a wee sniff of a chance. Then we will move forward.

But for me it is absolutely essential to get that midfield balance sorted out and some real creativity added. Immediately.

archiebald
24-07-2012, 08:54 PM
Pre season means nothing,as previous will tell you :hibees

goosefat
24-07-2012, 08:54 PM
Stu. Really to hope your right mate. I
still think Maybury if signed will get a game as DM. Think he may even offer us more than JC in there??

Once injuries and suspensions hit us there is going to be a lot of weight in the shoulders of the younger generation.

Fingers crossed.

This is a very good point. The other thing to bear in mind is that PF has already stated publicly that he wants us to have a bit more of a nasty side. I do hope he can communicate the difference between controlled aggression and brainless aggression. We didn't have the best discipline last season and given that we've now got a smaller squad and a very young bench, the "nasty" approach could seriously backfire.

Spike Mandela
24-07-2012, 09:07 PM
It's preseason and people are writing off Hibs as relegation fodder already.

And your point is:confused:

Aubenas
24-07-2012, 09:15 PM
Hibs played ok tonight for a team who everyone knows needs 2 or 3 more signings. On this tour they've had shape, dig, and played with a bit of pride. All of which have been sorely missing.
Great to read fans slagging players they haven't seen yet. They'd have hated it tonight. Union fans cheered their team non stop, never slagged anyone, and chatting after said they hoped to finish midtable as that matched their resources. Gave every appearance of being happy to support their club no matter what. Magic to sample such positivity. They are even happy the club is building a new stand. Imagine that!

matty_f
24-07-2012, 09:27 PM
Hibs played ok tonight for a team who everyone knows needs 2 or 3 more signings. On this tour they've had shape, dig, and played with a bit of pride. All of which have been sorely missing.
Great to read fans slagging players they haven't seen yet. They'd have hated it tonight. Union fans cheered their team non stop, never slagged anyone, and chatting after said they hoped to finish midtable as that matched their resources. Gave every appearance of being happy to support their club no matter what. Magic to sample such positivity. They are even happy the club is building a new stand. Imagine that!

Cheers for the update, sounds more positive than the result suggest.

down-the-slope
24-07-2012, 09:30 PM
Pre season means nothing,as previous will tell you :hibees

Yup remember we made Sunderland look ordinary previous pre-season....was no marker when the real action started...

hfc rd
24-07-2012, 09:34 PM
We are definitely 2-3 players short and I'm sure PF is working his socks off trying to bring the right sort of player(s) in. But then again we shouldn't feel too down hearted about this result. Remember, this same team hammered a hearts team, that ripped us to shreds in all four meetings last season, very comfortably 4-0 in pre-season last year.

We're not going to be coming up against this opposition week in, week out. It was a good workout for the players. Playing against good opposition from a decent league and getting a proper workout. Or do you want to play some amateur pub team and rip them 10-0 but the players won't learn nothing from that as the opposition are so poor and didn't give the lads a proper pre-season workout. Pre-season isn't only about winning games. It's about picking up much needed match fitness to be ready and raring to go ahead of the new campaign.

inglisavhibs
24-07-2012, 09:41 PM

It seems our manager has learned nothing from last season. If he thinks Claros and Stevenson will compete with other SPL midfield players, he is daft. We have no pace,strength or indeed ability in midfield and will be overrun against nearly all SPL teams. Also he seems hell bent on playing fanciful formations which may be ok if you are the dominant team but absolutely useless when you have to stop the other team playing(cup final a good example).

allezsauzee
24-07-2012, 09:56 PM
Yup remember we made Sunderland look ordinary previous pre-season....was no marker when the real action started...
Sunderland are ordinary though!

Dinkydoo
24-07-2012, 10:05 PM
It seems our manager has learned nothing from last season. If he thinks Claros and Stevenson will compete with other SPL midfield players, he is daft. We have no pace,strength or indeed ability in midfield and will be overrun against nearly all SPL teams. Also he seems hell bent on playing fanciful formations which may be ok if you are the dominant team but absolutely useless when you have to stop the other team playing(cup final a good example).

Who would you play in centre midfield genius? Don't let the lack of quality players, and funds to bring in quality players, hold you back.......

ManBearPig
24-07-2012, 10:22 PM
I can believe anyone takes pre season tours so seriously all managers use these to try out things. Has nobody hear played football manager? ;-)

NorthNorfolkHFC
24-07-2012, 10:40 PM

Exactly. And to answer the question regarding who to play there, I would have thought 3/4 midfielders who have been upmost priority to sign as thats the main area we bottled it last year.

blackpoolhibs
24-07-2012, 10:44 PM
Exactly. And to answer the question regarding who to play there, I would have thought 3/4 midfielders who have been upmost priority to sign as thats the main area we bottled it last year.

I think with so many leaving, he needed to start somewhere. He's started at the back, and midfield will hopefully be next, as i agree, we will get overrun in the middle of the park with the same players plus Cairney.

SteveHFC
24-07-2012, 10:47 PM
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.424166967625771.88732.220076074701529&type=1

Photos here

hibIBZ
24-07-2012, 10:50 PM
i just dont understand what people expect of the players. they slag them off and have no faith in them at all. then moan even more when the season starts. the simple facts are that we dont have alot of money so who do they expect to see us bringing in? give the lads a chance and get right behind them instead of having a go before they have even kicked a ball in anger

lucky
24-07-2012, 11:00 PM
Hibs lose a pre season friendly and the usual anti Hibs brigade are out in force. Are some you sure you are Hibs supporters? Hibs have been pish since the 1950s with the occasional bright spot. I really don't know what people expect from a team with no money and around 10000 fans at home games. Time to get realistic. We are not world beaters at best we are top six SPL team who sometimes flirt with third place .

Baldy Foghorn
24-07-2012, 11:03 PM
Thought we played well in the first half, however we were not great in the second, and lost two soft goals.....Again most subs were used so that disrupted our play a bit. I hope that Doyle and Sproule are not our "wingers", as I dont rate either of them in that postion......

Leishy1995
25-07-2012, 01:54 AM
I think when paddy returns from the tour more deals will be done. I hope I'm right.

PeeJay
25-07-2012, 04:23 AM
Some fine pictures of last night's match here courtesy of Union Berlin

http://www.fc-union-berlin.de/media/multimedia/13j/1-FC-Union-Berlin-Hibernian-Edinburgh-2-0-733D/#Bilder

Elsewhere they seem to suggest that we had lots of problems defending high balls into the box, that we were unable to cope with their fast movement and combination passes, that they were generally in control of the game - a good work out for them - we have a lot of work on our hands it seems...

....4800 at the game

NAE NOOKIE
25-07-2012, 06:55 AM
I think with so many leaving, he needed to start somewhere. He's started at the back, and midfield will hopefully be next, as i agree, we will get overrun in the middle of the park with the same players plus Cairney.

It has to be.

For 3 seasons the midfield has been the reason we have been so poor IMO. Its inability to hold its own in games, never mind control a game, is the reason we ship so many goals .. no wonder the defense struggles all the time when the ball is constantly in the possession of the other team and coming towards us all the time.

It wouldnt be so bad if the reason for that is that we have a midfield who can make a difference when it has the ball .... it cant.

From start to finish at Hampden we were overrun in the middle and that was just symptomatic of our ongoing problem.

Cant see where the players are going to come from though

LancsHibs
25-07-2012, 07:10 AM
Some fine pictures of last night's match here courtesy of Union Berlin

http://www.fc-union-berlin.de/media/multimedia/13j/1-FC-Union-Berlin-Hibernian-Edinburgh-2-0-733D/#Bilder

Elsewhere they seem to suggest that we had lots of problems defending high balls into the box, that we were unable to cope with their fast movement and combination passes, that they were generally in control of the game - a good work out for them - we have a lot of work on our hands it seems...

....4800 at the game

Some great pics there :aok:

brog
25-07-2012, 08:37 AM
I despair at times, someone posts a joke reference that we're doomed & people who haven't seen us this season jump on bandwagon to agree. IMO we've made 5 excellent signings, got rid of some rubbish & seen 3 bright prospects all get on the scoresheet. What's not to like about that? We still need more, no one would dispute that but I believe we're making progress.
PS, re the Sunderland friendly last season 11 homegrown players were on the park for us & they included likes of Lewis Horner & Ross Caldwell. Sunderland had multi million £ players on the park including Gyan & we drew. Friendlies mean nothing!

Phil MaGlass
25-07-2012, 09:04 AM
Who would you play in centre midfield genius? Don't let the lack of quality players, and funds to bring in quality players, hold you back.......

Dont you even wonder why we havent had a decent midfield for atleast 3 years genius?? Please dont harp on about funds when we were signing 3-5 forwards at a time.

blackpoolhibs
25-07-2012, 11:00 AM
Hibs lose a pre season friendly and the usual anti Hibs brigade are out in force. Are some you sure you are Hibs supporters? Hibs have been pish since the 1950s with the occasional bright spot. I really don't know what people expect from a team with no money and around 10000 fans at home games. Time to get realistic. We are not world beaters at best we are top six SPL team who sometimes flirt with third place .

I only expect a team to finish way above teams with 3000 home fans, i dont expect successive 10th and 11th place finishes. I suppose thats just being unrealistic?

NorthNorfolkHFC
25-07-2012, 11:12 AM
i just dont understand what people expect of the players. they slag them off and have no faith in them at all. then moan even more when the season starts. the simple facts are that we dont have alot of money so who do they expect to see us bringing in? give the lads a chance and get right behind them instead of having a go before they have even kicked a ball in anger

I am not 'slagging' players off and there are many people who are also, similarly not slagging players off.

It is just very obvious that the players we currently have are not good enough to compete in the mid to higher echelons on the SPL. Many of these lads have had a 'chance' and have proved they are not good enough. I have a lot of respect for guys like Stevenson, however he just isn't good enough. There is no point in listing his faults but the times he has been in the team have shown what is wrong.

Hermit Crab
25-07-2012, 01:19 PM
Just back we played ok first half but were murder in the 2nd half. The 2nd goal we lost was too easy, but we've been losing easy goals for about 3 seasons now. Well done to the 30 or so hibbys that went it was a good laugh. After all friendlies mean nothing except a good bevy for the fans.

Andy74
25-07-2012, 01:33 PM
I am not 'slagging' players off and there are many people who are also, similarly not slagging players off.

It is just very obvious that the players we currently have are not good enough to compete in the mid to higher echelons on the SPL. Many of these lads have had a 'chance' and have proved they are not good enough. I have a lot of respect for guys like Stevenson, however he just isn't good enough. There is no point in listing his faults but the times he has been in the team have shown what is wrong.

I''l admit I'm disappointed that we are going to be relying quite heavily on the likes of Stevenson, Sproule, Wotherspoon and so on - I thought the scale of the rebuild would have been a liltte bigger this season.

Thge signings have been good ones but barely get us back to where we were at the end of last season. The likes of Doherty, Soares, Osbourne and O'Connor would walk back in to that team.

hibIBZ
25-07-2012, 01:43 PM
stevenson has imo has suffered from a succession of managers who have made little impact on the development of the players at the club, remeber he picked up the man of the match award in a 5-1 cup final win. he might not be a very good player but then who else are we going to get for his wages? esp a player that tries as hard as he does? wotherspoon has a load of caps at under 21 but imo has suffered from the same lack of guidance to help make the step up to the first team

PeeJay
25-07-2012, 01:52 PM
stevenson has imo has suffered from a succession of managers who have made little impact on the development of the players at the club, remeber he picked up the man of the match award in a 5-1 cup final win. he might not be a very good player but then who else are we going to get for his wages? esp a player that tries as hard as he does? wotherspoon has a load of caps at under 21 but imo has suffered from the same lack of guidance to help make the step up to the first team

There were some "very good players" in that cup final win so how does someone who is (as you say) "not very good" pick up a MoM award when we played well as a team on that day?

Think you are spot on with the lack of any professional guidance at the club - our players show promise as youngsters and then fail to develop properly for some reason...some good lads at the club could have turned out to be really good players, but we fail them as a club.

HibsMax
25-07-2012, 02:37 PM
And your point is:confused:

in response to, "It's preseason and people are writing off Hibs as relegation fodder already.".

I think you're trolling rather than being truly confused. But since it's not obvious to you I shall explain.

The season has not even started yet. The building of the team, as far as we know, has not finished yet. We've played a couple of pre-season fixtures and on the basis of that there are people who are condemning Hibs to the first division. Should we not :
1. wait until the season starts so we know who our first 11 is?
2. see how Hibs perform during the actual season?
3. see how the competition stacks up against us?

For the amount of clairvoyents we have on the board we sure have a low percentage of lottery winners. ;)

HibsMax
25-07-2012, 02:44 PM

Agreed but not just that. Given our last couple of seasons, why does anyone expect quality players to sign on the dotted line?

I read the same things year in and year out. "We need X players". "Why haven't we signed such and such?". In my mind it's not that simple. Just needing a player doesn't mean that we will automatically get one. And another thing. As fans we rarely agree about WHO we should bring in. I've seen many threads where people absolutely love a player and say we should walk over glass (exaggeration!) to sign him....and in the same thread there will be others who don't want him near the club. That was actually pretty close to what happened in the thread about Ozzie.

LancashireHibby
25-07-2012, 02:49 PM
Quite surprised at the reaction on here. We showed a lot more effort and determination last night than for most of last season, and made a decent attempt at keeping the ball on the deck instead of hoofing it forward all the time.

I'm still not particularly sold on this 4-2-3-1 formation as I think Sparky needs a strike partner, and as part of that Doyle is much better up front than playing on the left hand side of midfield. Stevenson and Claros as holding midfielders should really give a little more licence for the rest of the midfield to push forward a bit but Griffiths was pretty isolated on the whole.

Both goals were preventable, the first just being a bit of slack marking from a free kick on the right hand side so I'm sure that's something that will be worked on in training and will improve once the back four get used to Williams and vice-versa. The second one was a bit of a mess, the Union player didn't really seem to have any target in front of him but there seemed to be a bit of a mix up in defence and all of a sudden space opened up in front of him for a simple finish.

I'm sure it will have definitely been a good work out and there's a lot for PF to take from the game. As mentioned earlier in the thread, it's far more worthwhile to play games like this rather than pumping some pub team.

The stadium and the whole set up is something else by the way. Union fans all over the place when we got off the train and they were great fun in the bars and in the ground (which is reached via a very scenic walk through a forest!). We didn't leave the ground until about 20 minutes after the game as the Union fans were all queuing up wanting photos with the Hibs fans and to cheer the Hibs players who were doing their warm down! Absolutely unreal experience, loved it.

HibsMax
25-07-2012, 03:56 PM
Quite surprised at the reaction on here. We showed a lot more effort and determination last night than for most of last season, and made a decent attempt at keeping the ball on the deck instead of hoofing it forward all the time.

I'm still not particularly sold on this 4-2-3-1 formation as I think Sparky needs a strike partner, and as part of that Doyle is much better up front than playing on the left hand side of midfield. Stevenson and Claros as holding midfielders should really give a little more licence for the rest of the midfield to push forward a bit but Griffiths was pretty isolated on the whole.

Both goals were preventable, the first just being a bit of slack marking from a free kick on the right hand side so I'm sure that's something that will be worked on in training and will improve once the back four get used to Williams and vice-versa. The second one was a bit of a mess, the Union player didn't really seem to have any target in front of him but there seemed to be a bit of a mix up in defence and all of a sudden space opened up in front of him for a simple finish.

I'm sure it will have definitely been a good work out and there's a lot for PF to take from the game. As mentioned earlier in the thread, it's far more worthwhile to play games like this rather than pumping some pub team.

The stadium and the whole set up is something else by the way. Union fans all over the place when we got off the train and they were great fun in the bars and in the ground (which is reached via a very scenic walk through a forest!). We didn't leave the ground until about 20 minutes after the game as the Union fans were all queuing up wanting photos with the Hibs fans and to cheer the Hibs players who were doing their warm down! Absolutely unreal experience, loved it.

Liar! You've been here since 2002, you know better. :wink:

nonshinyfinish
25-07-2012, 07:02 PM
Quite surprised at the reaction on here.

Why? Obviously punters who followed the game on Twitter (if that) will know better than anyone who was there.

blackpoolhibs
25-07-2012, 07:24 PM
Why? Obviously punters who followed the game on Twitter (if that) will know better than anyone who was there.

I was not there, but if he's anywhere near as pished as he was on wednesday at the Lierse game, i'd take a twitter report over his all day long. :wink:

LancashireHibby
26-07-2012, 10:52 AM
I was not there, but if he's anywhere near as pished as he was on wednesday at the Lierse game, i'd take a twitter report over his all day long. :wink:
Works wonders when I actually remember to have something to eat while boozing :greengrin

paul_hfc3
26-07-2012, 11:15 AM

Well said pal :top marks

hibs0666
26-07-2012, 11:22 AM
Well said pal :top marks

I don't think it's about one game. If you look at pre-sesaon in total we have, in five games, scored 7 and conceded 4. Take out the games against amateurs/semi-pros then we have scored 1 and conceded 4 in 3 games.

These results perfectly describe a team that looks brutal from middle to front. We need to turn into a lean, mean scoring machine and I can't see that happening with our existing squad of heroes.

BarneyK
26-07-2012, 11:35 AM
I don't think it's about one game. If you look at pre-sesaon in total we have, in five games, scored 7 and conceded 4. Take out the games against amateurs/semi-pros then we have scored 1 and conceded 4 in 3 games.

These results perfectly describe a team that looks brutal from middle to front. We need to turn into a lean, mean scoring machine and I can't see that happening with our existing squad of heroes.

Fair enough. Then again, how many lean, mean scoring machines are we going to be up against in the SPL? In these matches you mention, we've played against a decent level of opposition. Pre-season is all about the team gelling and trying out a few things. Let's see how we fare once we kick off the season before raising the white flag.

hibs0666
26-07-2012, 11:40 AM
Fair enough. Then again, how many lean, mean scoring machines are we going to be up against in the SPL? In these matches you mention, we've played against a decent level of opposition. Pre-season is all about the team gelling and trying out a few things. Let's see how we fare once we kick off the season before raising the white flag.

I'd rather see Hibs get progressively better rather than relying on the other teams getting worse. There's no evidence to suggest of that happening at the moment.

BarneyK
26-07-2012, 11:45 AM
I'd rather see Hibs get progressively better rather than relying on the other teams getting worse. There's no evidence to suggest of that happening at the moment.

So would we all. I've only seen the East Fife match and some highlights from HibsTv for pre-season, so I couldnae say definitively how well or otherwise we have done. I do, however, think we seem to be trying to increase the quality of the football on offer. That may not always result in the goals that it deserves, but I do think it's a path we should persevere down. Aye we're not firing on all cylinders in the final third at the moment, but I'm hoping with a wee bit work, and a better understanding of the system we can rectify that.

Frazerbob
26-07-2012, 02:50 PM

How big was the crowd and how many Hibs fans? Sounds like a cracking trip.

HibsMax
26-07-2012, 02:56 PM

The season hasn't even started so I would say there is no evidence of anything at all.\

That reminds me to watch Minority Report again.

LancashireHibby
26-07-2012, 02:58 PM
How big was the crowd and how many Hibs fans? Sounds like a cracking trip.
Crowd was 4,800 (although it looked more than that) with 30-50 Hibs fans. There are some crowd shots on the Union Berlin website here (http://www.fc-union-berlin.de/media/multimedia/13j/1-FC-Union-Berlin-Hibernian-Edinburgh-2-0-733D/#Bilder).

Billy
26-07-2012, 03:10 PM
Crowd was 4,800 (although it looked more than that) with 30-50 Hibs fans. There are some crowd shots on the Union Berlin website here (http://www.fc-union-berlin.de/media/multimedia/13j/1-FC-Union-Berlin-Hibernian-Edinburgh-2-0-733D/#Bilder).

There looked to be over 100 Hibs fans in the crowd. from my vantage point, there were fans behind both goals, Some in the top corner, the group with the flags at the front, just along from them was a couple of Hibees (one had a German name on the back of his top) and then further along there was a few more.

FC Union-Berlin are hoping to be challenging for promotion this season and their budget is close to that of a top end English Championship side. I wish them well for the season.

cabletoffee
26-07-2012, 10:49 PM
Thanks to all the Hibees I met on Tues. Enjoyed your company. The Union Berlin fans really are something else so I knew it was always going to be a great evening.
Don't fret over the scoreline, plenty to play for when the real action starts.
Its a good few years since I've been up to Easter Road but going to try to get up for a game this year if at all possible. All the very best for the coming season.

Baldy Foghorn
27-07-2012, 11:06 AM
Thanks to all the Hibees I met on Tues. Enjoyed your company. The Union Berlin fans really are something else so I knew it was always going to be a great evening.
Don't fret over the scoreline, plenty to play for when the real action starts.
Its a good few years since I've been up to Easter Road but going to try to get up for a game this year if at all possible. All the very best for the coming season.

You must be the Everton fan I spoke with at that bar near the station, it was nice speaking to you....Would be good to see you at Easter Road...

Iggy Pope
27-07-2012, 08:10 PM

My ugly coupon is close up on shot 62. And I never wear a scarf so maybe there were 31 - 51 Hibbies there?

LancashireHibby
28-07-2012, 09:43 PM
My ugly coupon is close up on shot 62. And I never wear a scarf so maybe there were 31 - 51 Hibbies there?

Funnily enough, I'm in that one as well....I'm in the numpty in the (McEwan Fraser) Hibs top!

Bobby's Cinema
28-07-2012, 09:57 PM
Can't see any of me and fellow numptys in the home end :greengrin. The match day experience over there is fantastic. Can see now why folk rave about the football in Germany. Beer throughout, terracing an BBQ at half time. Tremendous :top marks