PDA

View Full Version : Change to Policing Payments?

Sylar
24-07-2012, 10:02 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-18965193

I see Leeds United have been successful in their court case against West Yorkshire Police, challenging who is legally responsible for payment of policing in the areas surrounding the stadium on matchdays. Leeds argued that it was the duty of the police to provide the service to maintain public order and that as a result, they should be footing the bill for it.

How is it precisely that this works in Scotland? I recall Rangers potentially being unable to play their first game in administration, against Kilmarnock, because they had declared they may be unable to pay Strathclyde Police. Is it now the case, with this example case, that the Scottish forces might be placed into a position whereby they'll need to pay for policing rather than the clubs?

When we're already seeing forces and services being cut, the last thing they need is an even greater financial burden to facilitate the accounts of football clubs, even if it may yield benefits for our own accounts!

Part/Time Supporter
24-07-2012, 10:05 AM
No, it was always the case in both England and Scotland that the clubs only pay for the police in the immediate footprint of the stadium. Some forces were trying to impose additional costs on clubs. Leeds' victory in court just means that the previous arrangements will continue.

easty
24-07-2012, 10:07 AM
Won't councils/local authorities just find other ways of making the football clubs pay for it? Like, a new licence required to host live sporting events, where the amount it costs is proportionate to the number of fans, and as such number of police required?

Sylar
24-07-2012, 10:21 AM
No, it was always the case in both England and Scotland that the clubs only pay for the police in the immediate footprint of the stadium. Some forces were trying to impose additional costs on clubs. Leeds' victory in court just means that the previous arrangements will continue.

Gotcha. So it would be the case that the cost for police directly surrounding Easter Road on matchday (and a radius vicinity) would be covered by Hibs, but for example, if Lothian and Borders decide to have a police presence from Waverley down to Easter Road, that would be at the expense of the force?

Part/Time Supporter
24-07-2012, 10:29 AM
Gotcha. So it would be the case that the cost for police directly surrounding Easter Road on matchday (and a radius vicinity) would be covered by Hibs, but for example, if Lothian and Borders decide to have a police presence from Waverley down to Easter Road, that would be at the expense of the force?

Something like that. Extra police at Waverley, around London Road (where buses park), or even on Easter Road itself = L&B cost.

Sylar
24-07-2012, 10:54 AM
Something like that. Extra police at Waverley, around London Road (where buses park), or even on Easter Road itself = L&B cost.

Cheers PTS :aok:

allezsauzee
24-07-2012, 12:16 PM
I don't see the issue with expecting footbal clubs footing the bill for any extra police needed as a result of their 'event' however what i don't understand is why they get paid extra for what is likely to be the easiest 4 hours of their week.

Keith_M
24-07-2012, 12:22 PM
IIRC, it used to be the case that clubs in Scotland were paying much higher fees for policing than equivelant size clubs in England.

Does anyone know if this is still the case?

:dunno:

heretoday
24-07-2012, 12:29 PM
Would G4S be cheaper?

Peevemor
24-07-2012, 12:30 PM
It should be remembered that VAT makes up part of the entry fee to football matches. If Hibs have a crowd of say 10,000 at an average of £20/head, that equates to £33k+ being paid to the public purse. In addition, Hibs pay for the police and stewards in the ground. Being asked to pay for policing the streets as well would be a too much IMHO.

dangermouse
24-07-2012, 01:46 PM
Would G4S be cheaper?

No. They'd charge you for 10,000 stewards but wouldn't be able to supply them all :wink:

My daughter's boyfriend works as a security guard (but not for G4s) and G4S have a reputation of charging for X guards and supply less than X on the day.

jonny
24-07-2012, 04:26 PM
I don't see the issue with expecting footbal clubs footing the bill for any extra police needed as a result of their 'event' however what i don't understand is why they get paid extra for what is likely to be the easiest 4 hours of their week.

Police officers dont get paid extra for working at football. They do however have their rare weekends off cancelled at short notice and have them replaced with random midweek days though

Rattler
24-07-2012, 05:41 PM
Police officers dont get paid extra for working at football. They do however have their rare weekends off cancelled at short notice and have them replaced with random midweek days though

I wonder what you do for an occupation?!?!:agree:

clerriehibs
24-07-2012, 06:17 PM

They do if it's over time. And surely it must be for a fair number of them.

jonny
24-07-2012, 07:01 PM
Being paid overtime to work at football games is a thing of the distant past. Any shortfalls in police numbers are covered by draughting cops in from other areas - usually patrol teams. This results in a further stretched front line on matchdays which inevitably reduces the service to members of the public but it does protect the budget. To be honest, other than Cat A games there are only about 20 police officers at each game now with clubs opting to spend the money on extra stewards

allezsauzee
26-07-2012, 12:02 PM

Apologies! I remember reading that police were getting quadruple time, but it was a few year ago right enough...and it might have been a weegie rag that i read it in. :rolleyes: