PDA

View Full Version : Our Transfer Dealings So Far

Mikey
23-07-2012, 04:11 PM
I was having a look at 007 Mickey Weir's excellent update thread HERE (http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?240287-SPL-Transfer-Updates) and I reckon our activity looks ok. Clearly we could do with a wee bit more but the signings we've made should all be first 11 picks. Considering the fringe players that have been offloaded that's a pretty good bit of business so far.

Here's what we've done so far...........

HIBERNIAN

Players IN

1. Tim Clancy - defender (Motherwell)
2. James McPake - defender (Coventry City)
3. Paul Cairney - midfielder (Partick Thistle)
4. Ben Williams - goalkeeper (Colchester United)
5. Leigh Griffiths - forward (Wolves, loan)

Players OUT
1. Graham Stack
2. Matt Doherty (end of Loan)
3. Richie Towell (end of LOAN)
4 James McPake (End of Loan)
5. Francombe (end of LOAN)
6. Ian Murray
7. Sean Welsh (Partick T)
8. Tom Soares (End of loan)
9. Garry O'Connor
10. Lee Griffiths (end of LOAN)
11. Roy O'Donovan (end of LOAN)
12. Martin Scott (LOAN to Ross County)
13. Isaiah Osbourne (Blackpool)

Given that McPake and Griffiths have been re-signed I don't think there's anyone in that list that we'll miss.

LancsHibs
23-07-2012, 04:16 PM
Add Mark Brown to the OUT list

IWasThere2016
23-07-2012, 04:18 PM
I was having a look at 007 Mickey Weir's excellent update thread HERE (http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?240287-SPL-Transfer-Updates) and I reckon our activity looks ok. Clearly we could do with a wee bit more but the signings we've made should all be first 11 picks. Considering the fringe players that have been offloaded that's a pretty good bit of business so far.

HIBERNIAN

Players IN

Players OUT
1. Graham Stack
6. Ian Murray
9. Garry O'Connor

Given that McPake and Griffiths have been re-signed I don't think there's anyone in that list that we'll miss.

I would have liked Ozzy to stay but hey ho.. We must add more players IMHO or it will be another dull struggle this season.

blackpoolhibs
23-07-2012, 04:20 PM

HIBERNIAN

Players IN

Players OUT
1. Graham Stack
6. Ian Murray
9. Garry O'Connor

I really dont want to turn this into a negative thread, but our midfield is very poor. And with only Griffiths and Doyle up front, we look like to me, the kids are going to have to grow up very quickly.

Williams
Clancy
McPake
Stephens
Hanlon
Sproule
Claros
Stephenson
Cairney
Doyle
Griffiths

Thats the team i'd expect Fenlon to pick from whats available at the moment, aided by the rest. I feel we are still short of a centre half and 2 midfielders and a forward. If we dont get that, then i believe we will again struggle this season.

GreenCastle
23-07-2012, 04:20 PM
Cup Final Starting Team Vs Current Team

Brown Williams

Doherty Clancy
Hanlon Hanlon
McPaken McPake
Kunjabi Booth / Maybury / Kunjabi

Claros Claros
Soares Cairney
Osbourne Handling / Sproule
Stevenson Stevenson

Griffiths Griffiths
O'Connor Doyle / Stanton

What team would win if they played each other ?

I still think we are 3 or 4 players away from where we should be :agree: Especially after letting Ozzy go.

IWasThere2016
23-07-2012, 04:21 PM
I really dont want to turn this into a negative thread, but our midfield is very poor ... feel we are still short of a centre half and 2 midfielders. If we dont get that, then i believe we will again struggle this season.

Totally agree BH.

Mikey
23-07-2012, 04:21 PM
I really dont want to turn this into a negative thread, but our midfield is very poor.

I think that's what I meant by "Clearly we could do with a wee bit more......" :greengrin

AlbertK86
23-07-2012, 04:22 PM
If we get a big powerful central midfielder, a similar size strker and a winger I'll be happy to go with what we have.

Think Stanton Handling Caldwell and Smith should be integrated and used frequently but not have all the responsibility put on them

--------
23-07-2012, 04:23 PM

HIBERNIAN

Players IN

Players OUT
1. Graham Stack
6. Ian Murray
9. Garry O'Connor

Add Mark Brown to the OUT list

I would have been happy enough if Brown had stayed on as our #2, but if Pat's happy with young Calum Antell then that frees up some cash for someone else.

I don't think he's quite finished - I wouldn't be surprised to see Alan Maybury agreeing some kind of deal, and maybe another attacking player? Or even 2?

Though I think that will depend on whatever TV deal the SPL finally ends up with, and the ST sales at the start of the season.

blackpoolhibs
23-07-2012, 04:24 PM
I think that's what I meant by "Clearly we could do with a wee bit more......" :greengrin

I think you are right. :greengrin

matty_f
23-07-2012, 04:25 PM
I really dont want to turn this into a negative thread, but our midfield is very poor. And with only Griffiths and Doyle up front, we look like to me, the kids are going to have to grow up very quickly.

Williams
Clancy
McPake
Stephens
Hanlon
Sproule
Claros
Stephenson
Cairney
Doyle
Griffiths

Thats the team i'd expect Fenlon to pick from whats available at the moment, aided by the rest. I feel we are still short of a centre half and 2 midfielders. If we dont get that, then i believe we will again struggle this season.

:agree: Unless we've some gems coming through the ranks we're in for a pish poor season. Our two 'best' signings look like being players that were effectively here anyway (McPake and Griffiths), and we've lost arguably our better players (GO'C, Ozzy, Soares, Doherty, Francomb).

I don't see anything at the club at the moment to fill me with optimism that it's going to be a better season, to be honest.

Hibby Kay-Yay
23-07-2012, 04:28 PM
I'd be more concerned if other teams were signing quality players but no real movement yet. Compared to others we have been very active on the signing front. Perhaps weaker opposition won't make us look as bad as we think.

SPL standards have dropped in light of recent events. In light of that I believe our team are top 6 quality just now. Another 2 maybe 3 could see us field a strong top 6 team. IMO

blackpoolhibs
23-07-2012, 04:30 PM
I'd be more concerned if other teams were signing quality players but no real movement yet. Compared to others we have been very active on the signing front. Perhaps weaker opposition won't make us look as bad as we think.

SPL standards have dropped in light of recent events. In light of that I believe our team are top 6 quality just now. Another 2 maybe 3 could see us field a strong top 6 team. IMO

Cant see that myself, still need a better team for that to happen in my opinion.

GreenCastle
23-07-2012, 04:31 PM

The yams I think must be favourites for 2nd - ok Black and Skacel (possibly) have left - they still have a strong back 4 and decent midfielders(wide players). Add to that Sutton is back up front and surely they will challenge Celtic more than anyone ?

horseflesh
23-07-2012, 04:31 PM

Brown Williams

Doherty Clancy
Hanlon Hanlon
McPaken McPake

Claros Claros
Soares Cairney
Stevenson Stevenson

Griffiths Griffiths

O'Connor Doyle / Stanton

I still think we are 3 or 4 players away from where we should be :agree: Especially after letting Ozzy go.

Barring O.G's that game would have 0-0 all over it

Mikey
23-07-2012, 04:36 PM
Barring O.G's that game would have 0-0 all over it

:greengrin

--------
23-07-2012, 04:40 PM
:agree: Unless we've some gems coming through the ranks we're in for a pish poor season. Our two 'best' signings look like being players that were effectively here anyway (McPake and Griffiths), and we've lost arguably our better players (GO'C, Ozzy, Soares, Doherty, Francomb).

I don't see anything at the club at the moment to fill me with optimism that it's going to be a better season, to be honest.

Francomb and Doherty were never going to stay beyond May, matty.

Osbourne ? I could well be wrong, but if his fee allows Pat to bring bacl LG and maybe sign someone else, I'm happy with that deal.

Soares and Doherty IMO thought they were too good for us and really didn't bother their backsides too far.

O'Connor fit and focussed would be a more than useful player to have on the books, but there were far too many distractions, and I really would rather not have a notorious coke-head around the place. NOT the best influence or example to the younger players.

But I agree with you - this could be a long hard season.

HFC 0-7
23-07-2012, 04:42 PM

I think one good experienced midfielder would make a massive difference throughout the team not just the midfield. in recent seasons we have looked very unorganised in midfield which creates pressure on defence as we keep losing the ball and obviously we didnt get enough into the forwards. A quality midfielder would make all the difference IMO, unfortunately I think to get a player of the level I think we need would cost too much for what hibs are willing to pay out.

Sir David Gray
23-07-2012, 04:55 PM

You've got to remember that we're starting from a much lower base than most other teams. We are effectively the worst team that's left in the SPL from last season and I don't see that we'll be making up that much ground on the likes of Motherwell, Dundee Utd, Hearts or even St Johnstone.

I would be ecstatic if this current side finishes in the top six this coming season but if I'm being realistic, I think a 7th or 8th place finish should be more achievable.

I think we're at least another 5 players short of where we really need to be if we want to be challenging up at the top end of the league.

Ozyhibby
23-07-2012, 04:56 PM
Happy enough with the quality but we are miles away from being good enough. The addition of Williams, cairney and Clancy to a group of players who I would describe as our worst team for 15 years is not going to turn things around.
We need about 4 more signings who will be automatic starters who will relegate the likes of Claros, Stevenson and sproule to back ups.
Our midfield is still very weak and offers zero creativity going forward.

SouthamptonHibs
23-07-2012, 05:03 PM

Brown Williams

Doherty Clancy
Hanlon Hanlon
McPaken McPake

Claros Claros
Soares Cairney
Stevenson Stevenson

Griffiths Griffiths
O'Connor Doyle / Stanton

we need 5 more signings both teams written down are gash. its not till u write it down can u see that as a squad we r just as bad as last year. 11 days to save the 2012/13 season imo! We need the players signed b4 united game to bed them in and give them a week to get ready for the derby hail hail

PeterboroHibee
23-07-2012, 05:05 PM

We have been more active than most, but going by how our season went, we also arguably needed the most work. It does work in our favour that other teams have lost players and cant seem to replace them, but we still dont look anything more than a bog standard bottom six team.

Im very happy with who we have signed so far, and we have gone about things the right way by building from the back. But we still look thread bare in terms of quality in both midfield and upfront (but theres not much we can do if theres no money).

ekhibee
Happy enough with the quality but we are miles away from being good enough. The addition of Williams, cairney and Clancy to a group of players who I would describe as our worst team for 15 years is not going to turn things around.
We need about 4 more signings who will be automatic starters who will relegate the likes of Claros, Stevenson and sproule to back ups.
Our midfield is still very weak and offers zero creativity going forward.

Agree totally Ozyhibby. Unfortunately I'm just not convinced that the funds are there to spend. We do desperately need a decent midfielder or 3 of some description. Of the ones that left, I would probably have kept Francomb, but that's by the by.

NorthNorfolkHFC
Is it taken this long to work out that our squad is garbage?

silverhibee
23-07-2012, 05:16 PM

Williams
Clancy
McPake
Stephens
Hanlon
Sproule
Claros
Stephenson
Cairney
Doyle
Griffiths

Thats the team i'd expect Fenlon to pick from whats available at the moment, aided by the rest. I feel we are still short of a centre half and 2 midfielders and a forward. If we dont get that, then i believe we will again struggle this season.

And with injuries and suspensions that may get picked up through the season, we still need at least another 3 players in.

Col2
23-07-2012, 05:33 PM
Happy with quality so far given financial backdrop and I think all 5 players are very much starting 11 players.

However we are 3-4 players away to have a real chance of top 6 and basically to compete with Hearts, United, St Johnstone and Motherwell.

In priority:-

Central midfielder
Striker
Winger
Centre half

First two are vital. With 4+ youngsters set to feature they we would be in better shape.

Albion Hibs
23-07-2012, 05:56 PM
I think we now look like a strong team at the back, but the problem looks like our midfield, all very small and very weak regardless of how committed they may or may not be. I think we need a decent passing CM player that can chip in with a few goals and perhaps take a free kick - i dont recall scoring many goals at all from set pieces last season, far less then we every did when we had someone like Riordan in the team.

Over and above a CM player, we need a big CF that is decent in the air, with that I think Griffiths will be a lot more dangerous and contribute a lot more goals than he did last season, with the right partner, I think he has 20 goals in him.

I am surprised Pat has not done more with the midfield, especially considering the last competitive display they put in, and i think we are a weaker team in the middle with Osbourne away.

I dont see us signing a lot more players given the lack of folk turning up with their season ticket money, but i think those are the two key areas. Out with that we should be looking to provide depth through youngsters and not signing players like Maybury.

jiggerman
23-07-2012, 05:57 PM
I find it hard to believe that anyone really thinks we are top six material. I am with the majority here in that I don't think we are anywhere near good enough. The priority has to be the midfield, if we get to sign one/two more players and Pat doesn't make them midfielders I genuinely think he'll regret it. When financially constrained like we are I would rather rely on Griffiths, Doyle, Caldwell to score goals and spend money on ensuring we have the midfield to support them. Buying a centre forward on thepresumption that Sproule, Stevenson or Claros can supply them is lunacy (I am hopeful Cairney may be quite good but can't do it all himself). Unless we address the midfield, improvements elsewhere will be redundant and we'll be the walkover/whipping boys of the league all over again.

The_Horde
23-07-2012, 06:12 PM
I don't think we'd have let Ozzy go so easily if we didn't have intentions of at least replacing him.

I think we are still short of two good midfielders (or one really good midfielder), one creative attacking player and a versatile defender. If i could ask for more on top of that it would be a big striker and then after that a backup keeper.

Can't see it happening though.

Aldo
23-07-2012, 06:20 PM

Williams
Clancy
McPake
Stephens
Hanlon
Sproule
Claros
Stephenson
Cairney
Doyle
Griffiths

Can't disagree with the team you've picked BH and we are definitely a minimum of 4 short, as you've mentioned plus a half decent wide man.

Unless we get these players in we are going to struggle. I really do hope PF is given the Ozzy funds (can't see it tho)

FWIW I can maybe see Maybury given a DM role??

Billy Whizz
23-07-2012, 06:20 PM
Does anyone think he'll go with Stephens at centre back with McPake. Played a few games pre season like this with Hanlon at left back

Aldo
23-07-2012, 06:22 PM
Does anyone think he'll go with Stephens at centre back with McPake. Played a few games pre season like this with Hanlon at left back

This is a distinct possibility given the lack of Quality CH's in 1st team squad. (unless he plays Clancy there if course )

Scouse Hibee
23-07-2012, 06:24 PM

:agree: I tend to agree that PF might look at starting with him alongside McPake, I think Stephens will benefit from having a much better player alongside him this season, I'm sure many will disagree and state that Stephens is a bombscare though!

SneakersO'Toole
23-07-2012, 06:32 PM
Forget signing Maybury and start making the midfield a priority as frankly, its honking as it stands.

Andy74
23-07-2012, 06:32 PM

I think the signings have been good ones but agree with what you say. Some of the players we have lost were better than we have left now.

hibs0666
23-07-2012, 06:34 PM

Williams
Clancy
McPake
Stephens
Hanlon
Sproule
Claros
Stephenson
Cairney
Doyle
Griffiths

Yup, when the Emperor takes off his new clothes, that is one honking team.

BoltonHibee
23-07-2012, 07:07 PM

No wonder the masses won't return, honking doesn't even start to describe that piss poor excuse of a team.

Still, in Rod a lot of people trust. Oh and his managerial appointments

Hibby Kay-Yay
23-07-2012, 08:31 PM
Williams

Clancy McPake Hanlon Maybury

Claros Stevenson

Sproule Wotherspoon Cairney

Griffiths

Subs

Antell, Kujabi, Stanton, Handling, Caldwell, Doyle, Stephens

For me, CM required and potentially Striker if we play 442. So 2 players (plus Maybury) and I think our business will be done, unless season tickets or others leave.

Gillyboy
23-07-2012, 08:49 PM
Williams

Clancy McPake Hanlon Maybury

Claros Stevenson

Sproule Wotherspoon Cairney

Griffiths

Subs

Antell, Kujabi, Stanton, Handling, Caldwell, Doyle, Stephens

For me, CM required and potentially Striker if we play 442. So 2 players (plus Maybury) and I think our business will be done, unless season tickets or others leave.

This team would worry the life out of me ..however the main problem being this could be as good as it get's. We are in for a long horrible season I fear unless we can find a CM and a goal scorer ..in fact we don't even have wide players.

VickMackie
23-07-2012, 08:58 PM
Is Claros only here til jan? If so, we definitely need another cm.

jabis
23-07-2012, 09:06 PM

No wonder the masses won't return, honking doesn't even start to describe that piss poor excuse of a team.

good to have you onboard....................uberfans know the score :na na:

Holmesdale Hibs
23-07-2012, 09:23 PM

Agree with this, particularly the first sentence. Our midfield last year lacked creativity and our 'hardworking' players rarely stopped the opposition dominating the game. Crainey sounds like he'll be alright but we need more.

The signings so far have been pretty good. McPake and Griffiths were the only players worth keeping from last year (I'm not fussed that Osbourne is away), Williams and Crainey sound like they have decent CVs and Clancy played for the team that finished 3rd last year. So far we seem to be going for quality not quantity, which is good but we do need a few more players in before the start of the season.

It'd also be nice if Claros got the finger out an/ord one or two of the young playes stepped up as these could be like new signings.

Fergus52
23-07-2012, 09:58 PM
The yams I think must be favourites for 2nd - ok Black and Skacel (possibly) have left - they still have a strong back 4 and decent midfielders(wide players). Add to that Sutton is back up front and surely they will challenge Celtic more than anyone ?

they have a strong back 4, and a good striker, and 2 good wingers. they have no-one to play with sutton and their CMs are barr and robinson. I think dundee utd look far stronger.

Fergus52
23-07-2012, 10:00 PM
And for the people who still want "AT LEAST another quality defender, cm, winger and striker" where do you think the money for this will come from?

blackpoolhibs
23-07-2012, 10:04 PM
And for the people who still want "AT LEAST another quality defender, cm, winger and striker" where do you think the money for this will come from?

Are you telling me the fans have not flocked to the ground, and bought season tickets after Rods rallying call?:confused:

jabis
23-07-2012, 10:22 PM
Agree with this, particularly the first sentence. Our midfield last year lacked creativity and our 'hardworking' players rarely stopped the opposition dominating the game. Crainey sounds like he'll be alright but we need more.

The signings so far have been pretty good. McPake and Griffiths were the only players worth keeping from last year (I'm not fussed that Osbourne is away), Williams and Crainey sound like they have decent CVs and Clancy played for the team that finished 3rd last year. So far we seem to be going for quality not quantity, which is good but we do need a few more players in before the start of the season.

It'd also be nice if Claros got the finger out an/ord one or two of the young playes stepped up as these could be like new signings.

I still don't know how you are not the HIBERNIAN manager,your knowledge,and understanding of all the intrices,regarding football(and I have read all your stunning posts)........you have been somehow overlooked for the post of HIBERNIAN manager.

I can only surmise,this is a lack of intelligence,a will to live,and an overwhelming joy to see HIBERNIAN go to the tubes ?

tommorow,I'll wake up and go.."dear god,he's wound me up again"

allezsauzee
23-07-2012, 10:23 PM

Well Hibs are going to have to loosen the purse strings a bit or else the 2000 or so ST holders that have not renewed this season will be followed by another couple of thousand next season and the team will be playing in a stadium that's barely a third full. After the debacle at hampden in May, i think we are going to have to have a good season or a lot of fans who are frustrated by the constant decline since 2007 will well and truly sickened.

jabis
23-07-2012, 10:23 PM
Are you telling me the fans have not flocked to the ground, and bought season tickets after Rods rallying call?:confused:

:aok:

more wind -up *****

blackpoolhibs
23-07-2012, 10:35 PM
:aok:

more wind -up *****

Or a bit of realism, something those in charge would do well to remember, and maybe get their finger out and start leading from the front.

jabis
23-07-2012, 10:42 PM
Or a bit of realism, something those in charge would do well to remember, and maybe get their finger out and start leading from the front.

ooooooohhhhhhh,BH has spoken,quake you 7,000 season ticket holders,we're DOOMED,DOOMED.....geta life ya wind up.

do you have a season ticket yet BH...I do !

(actually that sounds a bit crap,I should have started it with "with all due respect" )

.Sean.
23-07-2012, 10:46 PM
The ball is firmly in the court of the fans. We've got what we wanted and had Rangers (rightfully) punted. It's time for the fans who can afford a season ticket to purchase one, Fenlon needs funds and he can only bring in these much-needed new faces with new season ticket revenue. It's as simple as that really.

hibs0666
23-07-2012, 10:55 PM
The ball is firmly in the court of the fans. We've got what we wanted and had Rangers (rightfully) punted. It's time for the fans who can afford a season ticket to purchase one, Fenlon needs funds and he can only bring in these much-needed new faces with new season ticket revenue. It's as simple as that really.

I think we're screwed then. For a lot of people it will be very difficult to forgive the club anytime soon for that cup final humiliation.

jacomo
23-07-2012, 11:15 PM
I find it hard to believe that anyone really thinks we are top six material. I am with the majority here in that I don't think we are anywhere near good enough. The priority has to be the midfield, if we get to sign one/two more players and Pat doesn't make them midfielders I genuinely think he'll regret it. When financially constrained like we are I would rather rely on Griffiths, Doyle, Caldwell to score goals and spend money on ensuring we have the midfield to support them. Buying a centre forward on thepresumption that Sproule, Stevenson or Claros can supply them is lunacy (I am hopeful Cairney may be quite good but can't do it all himself). Unless we address the midfield, improvements elsewhere will be redundant and we'll be the walkover/whipping boys of the league all over again.

Think you're spot on. Caldwell and Doyle will be desperate to impress and LG is lively, so if we have more authority in the middle and can get control of games then we should score a bit. Still light up front but maybe ok.

Don't know if Pat hopes to play Maybury in midfield to shore it up, perhaps Claros can get on the ball and be more influential with a more defensively minded midfielder alongside him. But it doesn't look fabulous right now.

dmc1875
23-07-2012, 11:25 PM

HIBERNIAN

Players IN

1. Tim Clancy - defender (Motherwell) £2,000
2. James McPake - defender (Coventry City) £3,000
3. Paul Cairney - midfielder (Partick Thistle) £1,500
4. Ben Williams - goalkeeper (Colchester United) £2,000
5. Leigh Griffiths - forward (Wolves, loan) £2,000

Total: £10,500 p/w

Players OUT
1. Graham Stack £1,500
2. Matt Doherty (end of Loan) £1,000
3. Richie Towell (end of LOAN) £1,000
4 James McPake (End of Loan) £2,000
5. Francombe (end of LOAN) £1,000
6. Ian Murray £2,500
7. Sean Welsh (Partick T) £500
8. Tom Soares (End of loan) £3,000
9. Garry O'Connor £3,000
10. Lee Griffiths (end of LOAN) £2,000
11. Roy O'Donovan (end of LOAN) £1,000
12. Martin Scott (LOAN to Ross County) £1.500
13. Isaiah Osbourne (Blackpool) £1,500

Total: £35,000

Part of me really thinks that the club are going to have to take a (larger) financial hit by funding three more decent players even if we dont get 3000 more ST's. They should try and improve the team and focus on half season ticket memberships after our performance and the team improves.

Not all fans are going to by ST's after watching total guff for the last 3 years, the only way to get them back is to start winning, playing decent football & the only way to do that is with a decent team. Rods little rant won't bring them back.

It's a vicious cycle. We need to spend to get the fans back, but we won't/can't, so they wont come back.

Although, when you look at the number of salaries we have shaved off the weekly wage bill compared to the new salaries coming in.. there must be some money there to spend?

I tried to do rough figures above and it looks to me that the players in are probably on no more than £10,500 p/w combined, whereas the players leaving were probably on around £35,000 p/w combined....

Even if they are some way off we have clearly saved a stack on the wage bill so there must be room to get a couple more in on £2k a week surely??? :confused:

c31
23-07-2012, 11:35 PM
I think we're screwed then. For a lot of people it will be very difficult to forgive the club anytime soon for that cup final humiliation.

Echoed by approximately 3000 fans, I've never heard the club higher managment apologise for that fateful day and it still runs deep in a lot of fans especially when I saw a framed picture in a shop at the Gyle saying "the famous five" brought it all back to me tonight. (shop is run by a Hibby as well).

I think it will take years for that day to ease in the memory of a lot of fans and for them to take up their season tickets once more.

JohnStephens91
24-07-2012, 01:19 AM
Echoed by approximately 3000 fans, I've never heard the club higher managment apologise for that fateful day and it still runs deep in a lot of fans especially when I saw a framed picture in a shop at the Gyle saying "the famous five" brought it all back to me tonight. (shop is run by a Hibby as well).

I think it will take years for that day to ease in the memory of a lot of fans and for them to take up their season tickets once more.

It won't get better if you run away, the problem will get worse. We need the fans to back the team financially more than ever now if we want to kick on and improve.

Lucius Apuleius
24-07-2012, 04:56 AM
**** it, put me on suicide watch will you? Jeez, there is negativity then there is hibs.net. Don't know why we will even bother turning up for the season. Pull down the shutters and put out the lights. We are screwed.

Jack
24-07-2012, 06:30 AM
Even although I don't think there's the quality we would like to see running through the squad I'd expect us to gel as a team earlier this season (assuming we did at some stage last season and I'm not sure we did).

I also expect us to be much better organised, working together as a team.

A few more players in wouldn't hurt too.

Top six this season with decent cup runs - we'll get a semi in one and a final that will go towards healing the wounds from the last one.

IWasThere2016
24-07-2012, 06:42 AM

It's as simple as looking at some of the honking decisions taken post 18 March 2007 to 19 May 2012. Many fans didn't get what they wanted then and the club is reaping what it sowed. The fan base has been eroded, the finances are goosed, and the Board doesn't have the answers.

Ray_
24-07-2012, 06:53 AM
**** it, put me on suicide watch will you? Jeez, there is negativity then there is hibs.net. Don't know why we will even bother turning up for the season. Pull down the shutters and put out the lights. We are screwed.

The season ticket renewal figures would suggest the mood on Hibsnet is a fair reflection on the mood in general of the Hibs support, what do you want, people to change way they are feeling just for you?

Holmesdale Hibs
24-07-2012, 06:59 AM
I still don't know how you are not the HIBERNIAN manager,your knowledge,and understanding of all the intrices,regarding football(and I have read all your stunning posts)........you have been somehow overlooked for the post of HIBERNIAN manager.

I can only surmise,this is a lack of intelligence,a will to live,and an overwhelming joy to see HIBERNIAN go to the tubes ?

tommorow,I'll wake up and go.."dear god,he's wound me up again"

Fair enough, it's all opinions and you're welcom to disagree with mine.

Which bit in particular has rattled your cage? My main points were 1) we need more midfielders and 2) the signings so far have been good ones.

You think we have enough midfielders and the signings we've made haven't been good enough?

Both seem reasonable enough to me. As for being manager, I can't recall ever slagging PF, who I think is soon ok, or any other manager apart from maybe CC towards the end.

Being realistic about Hibs doesn't make you any more or less of a fan than blind loyalty does. We all want the same thing.

Mikey
24-07-2012, 07:00 AM
The season ticket renewal figures would suggest the mood on Hibsnet is a fair reflection on the mood in general of the Hibs support, what do you want, people to change way they are feeling just for you?

Disagree. The mood on hibs.net is being railroaded by a few people posting the same doom and gloom over and over and over and over again.

.Sean.
24-07-2012, 07:05 AM
Disagree. The mood on hibs.net is being railroaded by a few people posting the same doom and gloom over and over and over and over again.

Correct. Same select posters all the time. Getting a tad tiresome, probably why this place is a wee bit quieter these days.

Lucius Apuleius
24-07-2012, 07:12 AM

Certainly not. I would never expect any miserable git to change into an optimist.

Haymaker
24-07-2012, 07:20 AM

100% correct.

Hainan Hibs
24-07-2012, 07:26 AM
If we could get a couple of decent midfielders I would be more positive about the season, the defence should be solid enough and with Griffths up front with Doyle and Caldwell as options we should be ok for goals (after typing that I feel we need another striker:greengrin).

My fear is we go into the new season with a midfield that is yet again unable to take control of the game, gets steamrollered and has McPake and co experiencing the Alamo for 90 minutes.

joe_hfc
24-07-2012, 07:34 AM
Fair enough, it's all opinions and you're welcom to disagree with mine.

Which bit in particular has rattled your cage? My main points were 1) we need more midfielders and 2) the signings so far have been good ones.
You think we have enough midfielders and the signings we've made haven't been good enough?

Both seem reasonable enough to me. As for being manager, I can't recall ever slagging PF, who I think is soon ok, or any other manager apart from maybe CC towards the end.

Being realistic about Hibs doesn't make you any more or less of a fan than blind loyalty does. We all want the same thing.

Spot on. In May, it was obvious to everyone that our squad was awful. We needed about 8new first team signings to even challenge for a semi-respectable league position, which shows how backwards our club has been going over the past few years. The signings PF has made do look good, however we DO need more of the same... Stevenson and Claros at CM is a very very weak partnership, and it is worrying. They will not support the team going forward, nor support our defence. IMO our absolute priority is 2 solid CMs, Stevenson and Claros are suitable for the bench. Then we need to be looking at wingers, a targetman and probably another CB. Our squad is a mess at the moment and I really hope PF can make these extra few quality signings, or we have another relegation battle on our hands. Not pessimistic, realistic.

Brightside
24-07-2012, 07:34 AM
One more hard tackling, and holding mid-fielder and I'd be happy. There is no money people...and you all need to get used to that. The young lads will break through and be used a lot more. But we are still missing a strong hard midfielder. I dont think Claros and Stevenson can do that role.

PeterboroHibee
24-07-2012, 07:36 AM
Part of me really thinks that the club are going to have to take a (larger) financial hit by funding three more decent players even if we dont get 3000 more ST's. They should try and improve the team and focus on half season ticket memberships after our performance and the team improves.

Not all fans are going to by ST's after watching total guff for the last 3 years, the only way to get them back is to start winning, playing decent football & the only way to do that is with a decent team. Rods little rant won't bring them back.

It's a vicious cycle. We need to spend to get the fans back, but we won't/can't, so they wont come back.

Although, when you look at the number of salaries we have shaved off the weekly wage bill compared to the new salaries coming in.. there must be some money there to spend?

I tried to do rough figures above and it looks to me that the players in are probably on no more than £10,500 p/w combined, whereas the players leaving were probably on around £35,000 p/w combined....

Even if they are some way off we have clearly saved a stack on the wage bill so there must be room to get a couple more in on £2k a week surely??? :confused:

I more or less agree with you. It is going to be tough for all of the clubs in the current situation, but the fans have seen the team become progressively worse over the past few years, which ultimately led to us scraping 11th and a cup final drubbing by our biggest rivals. Theres absolutely no chance that 3,000 people who havent renewed or bought a ST are going to do so because the chairman has come out with a statement suggesting that we might not be able to add anymore players.

As for the wages, I dont think its a case of we have £x in wages left over based on the playing staff this season against last seasons. That £25,000 that you suggest in your example might be needed elsewhere to compensate for any of the losses associated with the Rangers situation. I still think we might bring in 1 or 2 players however, most likely Maybury and hopefully someone else.

Gatecrasher
24-07-2012, 07:41 AM
Anyone hoping for another 3 or 4 players are kidding themselves, there isn't any money!

dangermouse
24-07-2012, 07:41 AM
All this talk of our team being crap and not being able to cope with the rest of the teams around us is just scaremongering. Have a look at the thread the OP posted a ling to and have a look at what position other teams are in. With the exception of Hayes (ICT to Dons) is there anyone listed in the IN column of each team that could do a job at Hibs. I don't think so.

A few teams have also lost some influential players that have not been replaced where as at Hibs the consensus of opinion is we have off loaded a bunch of wasters and the signings we have made are better than those that left. We also have a batch of talented youngsters coming through to augment the current first team, Golden Generation MKII? I hope so.

As for struggling to compete with teams that finished above us, Motherwell are a shadow of last years team and will do well not to get thrashed in their CL game and other clubs are in the same boat. One way to ensure that PF has the funds to ensure that we start to beat these teams on a regular basis is to go out and get a season ticket if you have not already got one (or if going along to ER may still be too painful why not donate towards the Kicks for Kids tickets so some youngster can "suffer" on your behalf :wink:).

Speculate to accumulate, but the board can't speculate with funds they don't have.

Hibby Kay-Yay
24-07-2012, 07:42 AM
The treble is there for the taking this season

:na na: to all you doom and gloomers

joe_hfc
24-07-2012, 07:42 AM
Anyone hoping for another 3 or 4 players are kidding themselves, there isn't any money!

Then we're in for a tough old season :agree:

Hibby Kay-Yay
24-07-2012, 07:44 AM
All this talk of our team being crap and not being able to cope with the rest of the teams around us is just scaremongering. Have a look at the thread the OP posted a ling to and have a look at what position other teams are in. With the exception of Hayes (ICT to Dons) is there anyone listed in the IN column of each team that could do a job at Hibs. I don't think so.

A few teams have also lost some influential players that have not been replaced where as at Hibs the consensus of opinion is we have off loaded a bunch of wasters and the signings we have made are better than those that left. We also have a batch of talented youngsters coming through to augment the current first team, Golden Generation MKII? I hope so.

As for struggling to compete with teams that finished above us, Motherwell are a shadow of last years team and will do well not to get thrashed in their CL game and other clubs are in the same boat. One way to ensure that PF has the funds to ensure that we start to beat these teams on a regular basis is to go out and get a season ticket if you have not already got one (or if going along to ER may still be too painful why not donate towards the Kicks for Kids tickets so some youngster can "suffer" on your behalf :wink:).

Speculate to accumulate, but the board can't speculate with funds they don't have.

This

Hibby Kay-Yay
24-07-2012, 07:46 AM
Then we're in for a tough old season :agree:

But what an opportunity for our youngsters to shine, especially now being guided by quality, experienced pro's

blackpoolhibs
24-07-2012, 07:46 AM
ooooooohhhhhhh,BH has spoken,quake you 7,000 season ticket holders,we're DOOMED,DOOMED.....geta life ya wind up.

do you have a season ticket yet BH...I do !

(actually that sounds a bit crap,I should have started it with "with all due respect" )

Well jabis, thanks for putting me up as some sort of spokesman, :confused: its not something i wish for, but thanks anyway. As for getting a life, i have one thanks you, and i quite enjoy it. Yes i have a season ticket like you, bought it in April.

As for your respect, dont need it or want it, couldn't care less who respects me or not.

Now about this negativity being hijacked by a few, what a load of pish. :rolleyes: What do we want here, everyones views or just those who see nothing wrong?

How the hell is giving your view hijacking anything, perhaps we should just have a message board where everyone agree's. :zzzzz!:

SMAXXA
24-07-2012, 08:07 AM

Tade and Hasstlebank would probably have been decent signings IMO but I agree with your comments. Only flipside to that is that most of the other teams havnt lost all thayt many players so won't be much weaker than last season. Us on the other hand wernt good enough last season to compete with these teams and on the basis of what we have now I question if we can compete now.

Andy74
24-07-2012, 08:31 AM

You are spectacularly missing the point though aren't you.

We are trying to help improve the team by buying tickets and encouraging others to do so.

Do you have to actively agitate against that at every opportunity?

Andy74
24-07-2012, 08:35 AM
Correct. Same select posters all the time. Getting a tad tiresome, probably why this place is a wee bit quieter these days.

There are certain threads you won't see them - like the kicks for kids fundraiser.

SMAXXA
24-07-2012, 09:22 AM
There are certain threads you won't see them - like the kicks for kids fundraiser.

Dam no good for nothing kids what a waste of time they will never cut it this season supporting Hibs :na na:

Kidding of course :wink:

silverhibee
24-07-2012, 11:31 AM

I wanted to smash the front window of that shop in the Gyle while in there shopping last week, f***ing horrible stuff.

silverhibee
24-07-2012, 11:45 AM

Look again, a few moaners donating more of there money to help the club. :greengrin

Fergus52
24-07-2012, 12:22 PM

:agree:

especially the first paragraph. People are too busy looking at our threadbare squad (perhaps a bit harsh) and forgetting about every other SPL team which has weakened significantly. Hearts have no CMs, Motherwell and Aberdeen may have a decent starting 11 but have next to nothing in back up. The only team outside celtic that i would say look strong are dundee utd.

blackpoolhibs
24-07-2012, 01:04 PM

especially the first paragraph. People are too busy looking at our threadbare squad (perhaps a bit harsh) and forgetting about every other SPL team which has weakened significantly. Hearts have no CMs, Motherwell and Aberdeen may have a decent starting 11 but have next to nothing in back up. The only team outside celtic that i would say look strong are dundee utd.

One question, have we strengthened our team in your opinion?

Spike Mandela
24-07-2012, 01:30 PM

We finished 11th last year playing some pretty dreadful football and as of yet we certainly haven't improved the team greatly albeit signing McPake is a boost for defence, arguably it may be weaker than last years team with little finance to add any further signings. Other teams will have to weaken significantly as you say to be as poor as we were last year.

Reasons for optimism may come in the blooding of some youngsters but that remains to be seen and can be counter productive as witnessed in the deterioration in performance of Wotherspoon over recent years. Also this is the same for all teams and clubs may simply have better younger players than us.

Real lack of creativity in midfield concerns me and was the area I hoped would be focussed on during the summer but due to recent events in Scottish football that may have to be curtailed significantly.

Hopefully Cainey can bring goals sorely lacking from our midfield last year but who can replace the goals scored by O'Connor to complement Griffiths. Can Doyle or Caldwell step up to the plate?

Really hope people can find it in them to buy a season ticket but if they don't we really need to get some good performances in early to make sure the walk up punters want to keep returning.

The players that Newco Cheats FC are rumoured to be looking at would of course have helped our cause were they available and affordable but who says cheats don't prosper. Difficult times ahead methinks, gulp!

blackpoolhibs
24-07-2012, 01:35 PM
We finished 11th last year playing some pretty dreadful football and as of yet we certainly haven't improved the team greatly albeit signing McPake is a boost for defence, arguably it may be weaker than last years team with little finance to add any further signings. Other teams will have to weaken significantly as you say to be as poor as we were last year.

Reasons for optimism may come in the blooding of some youngsters but that remains to be seen and can be counter productive as witnessed in the deterioration in performance of Wotherspoon over recent years. Also this is the same for all teams and clubs may simply have better younger players than us.

Real lack of creativity in midfield concerns me and was the area I hoped would be focussed on during the summer but due to recent events in Scottish football that may have to be curtailed significantly.

Hopefully Cainey can bring goals sorely lacking from our midfield last year but who can replace the goals scored by O'Connor to complement Griffiths. Can Doyle or Caldwell step up to the plate?

Really hope people can find it in them to buy a season ticket but if they don't we really need to get some good performances in early to make sure the walk up punters want to keep returning.

The players that Newco Cheats FC are rumoured to be looking at would of course have helped our cause were they available and affordable but who says cheats don't prosper. Difficult times ahead methinks, gulp!

Thats my hope too, i have not seen much of any of them, but reports are good. :pray:

Fergus52
24-07-2012, 01:37 PM
One question, have we strengthened our team in your opinion?

I've not seen enough of cairney clancy and williams to answer that. I think our starting eleven has been strengthened, but not the squad overall.

blackpoolhibs
24-07-2012, 01:39 PM
I've not seen enough of cairney clancy and williams to answer that. I think our starting eleven has been strengthened, but not the squad overall.

Me neither, i hope to god they are better though, plus we can get at least 2 more midfielders and a forward in.

Devine
24-07-2012, 01:45 PM

You can stick your head in the sand all you want but the general feeling among the Hibs support is exactly as Ray has stated and its reflected in Season ticket sales. Im not talking about the hardcore who would follow Hibs good bad or indifferent Im talking about good supporters who are fed up of the way the club has been going, supporters that everyone from Rod to yourself recognises this club is desperate to get through the door.

For the record I go home and away and whilst not happy with whats going on in the slightest will probably continue to do that but I cant sit and disagree with the many friends and colleagues who state the reasons for not going back/commiting good money as deep down I agree with them...

Beefster
24-07-2012, 02:02 PM

Bit of a ****ty dig when you know pretty much hee-haw about most posters on here IMHO. There's just as many 'apologists' who haven't donated money. I don't think folk having the resource/inclination to donate is related to whether they agree with you on Hibs or not.

Andy74
24-07-2012, 02:17 PM
Bit of a ****ty dig when you know pretty much hee-haw about most posters on here IMHO. There's just as many 'apologists' who haven't donated money. I don't think folk having the resource/inclination to donate is related to whether they agree with you on Hibs or not.

There are a number of people who have made very clear that they could pay to watch Hibs, buy season tickets, donate, whatever, but won't due to whatever issues they have or have had in the past.

It's not the time now for all the whingeing and pointing out the problems we are all well aware of, it's the time to help and take some action.

When there's any sort of call to do so either they are out in force agitiating and filling any calls to action with a list of reasons why people shouldn't, or they are nowhere to be seen when there's an opportunity to even make a token donation.

I wonder why people care so deeply about the need to criticise but can't take that care to do something positive right now.

marinello59
24-07-2012, 02:31 PM
You can stick your head in the sand all you want but the general feeling among the Hibs support is exactly as Ray has stated and its reflected in Season ticket sales. Im not talking about the hardcore who would follow Hibs good bad or indifferent Im talking about good supporters who are fed up of the way the club has been going, supporters that everyone from Rod to yourself recognises this club is desperate to get through the door.

For the record I go home and away and whilst not happy with whats going on in the slightest will probably continue to do that but I cant sit and disagree with the many friends and colleagues who state the reasons for not going back/commiting good money as deep down I agree with them...

I think you have spectacularly missed the point Mikey was making. We ALL know the problems and appreciate how hard it is going to be to get some fans back, Some people however feel the need to post exactly the same thing over and over again on thread after thread as if they are the holders of some great truth that has eluded the rest of us. . There is a way forward if enough people have the will but hammering over the reasons why people should do **** all helps nobody really does it?

GreenPJ
24-07-2012, 03:09 PM
In the financial circumstances we find ourselves in, not buying a season ticket is not a protest that is going to help anyone, however, I would like to have seen the board consider co-opting some fans representatives onto the board with full voting rights which would hopefully help placate some fans that the board decisions that are being made in the future have the fans considerations at the heart of the decision making table.

Beefster
24-07-2012, 03:49 PM
There are a number of people who have made very clear that they could pay to watch Hibs, buy season tickets, donate, whatever, but won't due to whatever issues they have or have had in the past.

It's not the time now for all the whingeing and pointing out the problems we are all well aware of, it's the time to help and take some action.

When there's any sort of call to do so either they are out in force agitiating and filling any calls to action with a list of reasons why people shouldn't, or they are nowhere to be seen when there's an opportunity to even make a token donation.

I wonder why people care so deeply about the need to criticise but can't take that care to do something positive right now.

Folk criticise precisely for the same reasons that you're now going to the working groups - they care.

Again, you don't know the background to the decisions people make. Take me as an example - I have an ST (although I came very close to giving it up and am not really looking forward to another likely season of rubbish), I've declined to get involved with the working groups because of my previous experiences of trying to help Hibs and I didn't donate to Kicks for Kids (despite it being a fine initiative).

Without trying to be an arse, if you're hoping to get more folk along to see Hibs I hope the "let's not talk about the past and everyone should just give us cash, no questions asked" attitude isn't prevalent at the working groups. You're going to have to slog to get folk back because Hibs are waking up to this about 5 years too late and a lot of damage has been done in the meantime. Irrespective of what you/Hibs do, you're going to be criticised/scrutinised by some. You might just have to let it wash over you.

blackpoolhibs
24-07-2012, 03:56 PM
In the financial circumstances we find ourselves in, not buying a season ticket is not a protest that is going to help anyone, however, I would like to have seen the board consider co-opting some fans representatives onto the board with full voting rights which would hopefully help placate some fans that the board decisions that are being made in the future have the fans considerations at the heart of the decision making table.

I dont see it as a protest, i see it as they have had enough. Nearly did not renew myself, and that was my thoughts on it.

Jonnyboy
24-07-2012, 08:02 PM
I would have liked Ozzy to stay but hey ho.. We must add more players IMHO or it will be another dull struggle this season.

Not sure why, G and I reckon we'll not miss his contribution which, at best, was poor in relation to his apparent pedigree

marinello59
24-07-2012, 08:07 PM
Not sure why, G and I reckon we'll not miss his contribution which, at best, was poor in relation to his apparent pedigree

He's a player who had me scratching my head most of the time trying to work out just what he was actually doing. So no doubt be will now go on to be a tremendous success down South .:greengrin

GreenPJ
24-07-2012, 10:16 PM
I dont see it as a protest, i see it as they have had enough. Nearly did not renew myself, and that was my thoughts on it.

Enough of Hibs or enough of the current malaise effecting the club? If the latter then surely witholding funds from the club is a protest until something changes?

blackpoolhibs
24-07-2012, 10:30 PM
Enough of Hibs or enough of the current malaise effecting the club? If the latter then surely witholding funds from the club is a protest until something changes?

Enough of watching pish football, and not enjoying going to the games. Some folk wont just go because its there each week, as much as we'd all like a full house, some people want to enjoy their football.

RoxburghHibs
25-07-2012, 07:40 AM
I was having a look at 007 Mickey Weir's excellent update thread HERE (http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?240287-SPL-Transfer-Updates) and I reckon our activity looks ok.

I wonder where he got this idea from ;-)

To be fair, he did ask if it was ok, to start a 'new updated thread' using my post.

:thumbsup:

for what it's worth I really think we need to add 2 x quality midfield players, 1 x quality striker and 1 x quality defender, to our current squad.

So four quality signings and we can challenge for 2nd.

:flag::flag::flag:

IWasThere2016
25-07-2012, 10:51 AM
10 days to ko - not long to get in 3 or 4 much needed players IMHO.

poolman
25-07-2012, 11:00 AM

Defo need two anyway at least but lets nit forget we still have August I suppose :agree:

Steve20
25-07-2012, 11:19 AM

I reckon we'll sign Maybury before the league starts. Then maybe 2 loan signings before the end of the window and that'll be us done.

Speedway
25-07-2012, 11:28 AM

Because they can leave Hibs, but can't leave Hibs alone