PDA

View Full Version : Mark Brown training with Southend United

HibeeUnderwood
20-07-2012, 04:04 PM
Sorry if posted elsewhere. MB has joined Southend United on trial.

http://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/article/200712-brown-set-for-southend-trial-255865.aspx (http://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/article/200712-brown-set-for-southend-trial-255865.aspx)

As a fan of both teams, Brown leaving Hibs wasn't a bad idea as we needed new life in the squad, but if he does join Southend then at least I know the team will have a decent pair of hands in between the sticks. :agree:

Cabbage East
20-07-2012, 04:07 PM
Jesus. Thought he might do better than that.

BEEJ
20-07-2012, 06:12 PM
At the stage he is at in his career, Brown needs regular first-team football. Not sitting on the bench week in, week out as the No. 2 keeper.

Hope it works out for him.

scott7_0(Prague)
20-07-2012, 06:40 PM
if he does join Southend then at least I know the team will have a decent pair of hands in between the sticks. :agree:

Right, so who is this other keeper with safe hands? :agree:

Jonnyboy
20-07-2012, 07:40 PM
Right, so who is this other keeper with safe hands? :agree:

:greengrin

Part/Time Supporter
20-07-2012, 07:43 PM
Probably not a coincidence that Antell signed a contract at almost the same time.

Persevere80
20-07-2012, 08:10 PM
Interesting, is antell going to be our 2nd choice keeper?

Good luck to mb, always wanted him to come to hibs ever since he was at Inverness.

CRAZYHIBBY
20-07-2012, 08:12 PM
Good riddence...pish keeper.

DaveF
20-07-2012, 09:15 PM

http://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/article/200712-brown-set-for-southend-trial-255865.aspx (http://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/article/200712-brown-set-for-southend-trial-255865.aspx)

As a fan of both teams, Brown leaving Hibs wasn't a bad idea as we needed new life in the squad, but if he does join Southend then at least I know the team will have a decent pair of hands in between the sticks. :agree:

Sheesh, you have it doubly bad :greengrin

Waxy
20-07-2012, 09:51 PM
Cannot believe he's going.
Our loss is Southends gain.

Good luck MB

From Colchester
22-07-2012, 08:26 PM

Good luck MB

Greetings Hibbies

Brown played for Southend yesterday against Conference Premier Braintree - did okay, kept clean sheet, made a couple of decent saves. In Interview on Southend web site claims Hibs want to keep him but can't offer a contract because they don't know their financial situation re Gers so he's trying to sort something out for himself.

That bit made a Colchester fan laugh because, if he signs, he's going to a club millions of pounds in debt and with an exceptionally dodgy Chairman of the type that makes Arthur Daley look fairly straight.

More importantly how is Big Ben Williams doing?

Would you replace Brown if he goes or would you stick with Calum Antell who looks a very decent prospect (my wife, bless, is an East Stirlingshire supporter).

cocopops1875
22-07-2012, 08:31 PM

Good luck MB

HAHAHAHA :greengrin LTYF

Billy Whizz
22-07-2012, 08:35 PM
Greetings Hibbies

Brown played for Southend yesterday against Conference Premier Braintree - did okay, kept clean sheet, made a couple of decent saves. In Interview on Southend web site claims Hibs want to keep him but can't offer a contract because they don't know their financial situation re Gers so he's trying to sort something out for himself.

That bit made a Colchester fan laugh because, if he signs, he's going to a club millions of pounds in debt and with an exceptionally dodgy Chairman of the type that makes Arthur Daley look fairly straight.

More importantly how is Big Ben Williams doing?

Would you replace Brown if he goes or would you stick with Calum Antell who looks a very decent prospect (my wife, bless, is an East Stirlingshire supporter).

Too early to make a decision on Ben, wait until end of August.
Thanks for the updates

basehibby
22-07-2012, 08:46 PM

Have a word with yerself about increasing your limited vocabulary - many words could describe Mark Brown's ability between the sticks - pish is well wide of the mark and completely unfair.

Zibby? Now he WAS pish! But a whole world of goalkeeping ability exists between Zibby and Brown - ergo - you are posting Pish!

NB - good luck to Brown - he was solid if unspectacular in his time at Hibs - but nothing like pish and I for one appreciated his efforts.

Scouse Hibee
22-07-2012, 08:49 PM

What on earth do you base that comment on?

essexhibee
22-07-2012, 09:50 PM
Very competent goalkeeper IMO would like to have seen him stay.

Love the shrimpers, great little club. :agree:

muzzhfc
22-07-2012, 10:18 PM
decent keeper, thought he was good at inverness and was pleased when he came here. maybe not the greatest keeper, but a good solid no 2/no1 competitor. best of luck

Golden Bear
23-07-2012, 07:14 AM
Best of luck Mark wherever you end up. He's certainly never let Hibs down.

mcvie7
23-07-2012, 07:49 AM
Best of luck Mark wherever you end up. He's certainly never let Hibs down.

Cup final?

mcvie7
23-07-2012, 07:51 AM
Good luck to MB but I won't miss him. I was always nervous with him in goal. Any shots slightly of centre and he wouldn't have a chance. Not vocal enough with his back four either.

Golden Bear
23-07-2012, 07:57 AM
Cup final?

I'd blame about eight of his teamates before I'd place any blame on our 'keeper.

He was not directly responsible for any of the first four goals but don't ask me about the fifth as I'd called it a day by that time and I don't intend to watch any replays.

mcvie7
23-07-2012, 08:00 AM
I'd blame about eight of his teamates before I'd place any blame on our 'keeper.

He was not directly responsible for any of the first four goals but don't ask me about the fifth as I'd called it a day by that time and I don't intend to watch any replays.

I agree that he wasn't the worst player that day but he certainly contributed to the number conceded.

Steve20
23-07-2012, 08:09 AM
Can't say I am too bothered by this. He never made any glaring mistakes, but hardly ever seemed to save anything.

Hibby_G
23-07-2012, 08:21 AM
aww mark brown was a good keeper:boo hoo:

Pretty Boy
23-07-2012, 09:03 AM
Indifferent if he goes really.

Wasn't that bad, wasn't that good.

Best of luck to him.

--------
23-07-2012, 09:18 AM
When I read down a thread like this and see so many dismissive-to-outright-insulting comments about a perfectly decent keeper who really did OK for us and who's far from the worst keeper we've had on our books in the last few years, I begin to ask myself why anyone would want to sign for us, never mind "shed blood for the team".

IMO Brown really didn't get a chance to settle into the side - he was always second choice to Stack,who I'm not convinced is a better keeper than him - and having been caught at HIbs at a time when finances are more than wobbly, he looks for another job - and we can't be gracious enough to wish him well and be nice.

But I forgot - we pay our money, so we can say anything at all we like about any player in the team. Right up to the limit of decency and beyond, sometimes.

PeterboroHibee
23-07-2012, 10:18 AM
Good luck to him where ever he ends up, but I dont get why so many people are sorry to see him go. He wasnt a bad keeper (apart from his distribution of the ball), it just seems he could never really establish himself as first choice here, despite numerous opportunities through others being injured or dropped due to bad form. He just never really stood out as anything special imo.

Given that all Scottish clubs are having to cut costs, theres no way we were going to offer him much money as a back up keeper. I dont blame him for looking elsewhere, he should be playing first team football, and I hope it works out for him if he does move to Southend.

cabbageandribs1875
23-07-2012, 10:59 AM
good luck to the guy

Mikey
23-07-2012, 11:02 AM
When I read down a thread like this and see so many dismissive-to-outright-insulting comments about a perfectly decent keeper who really did OK for us and who's far from the worst keeper we've had on our books in the last few years, I begin to ask myself why anyone would want to sign for us, never mind "shed blood for the team".

IMO Brown really didn't get a chance to settle into the side - he was always second choice to Stack,who I'm not convinced is a better keeper than him - and having been caught at HIbs at a time when finances are more than wobbly, he looks for another job - and we can't be gracious enough to wish him well and be nice.

But I forgot - we pay our money, so we can say anything at all we like about any player in the team. Right up to the limit of decency and beyond, sometimes.

:agree:

IWasThere2016
23-07-2012, 11:06 AM
I couldn't see him signing on as the new offer was way down on his last terms. Add Williams joining and he was destined to move on.

Good luck to him. Nice guy.

blackpoolhibs
23-07-2012, 11:09 AM
I have never been that impressed with him, i thought Stack was better, as did consecutive managers. If he'd have been our No1 this season, i'd have been worried. Might be a good guy, but he's far from good enough for what i want at Hibs.

Gatecrasher
23-07-2012, 11:12 AM
Not surprised to see him go to be honest, no sense in keeping 2 first team keepers on the books when the budget is streatched as far as it is.

Walter
23-07-2012, 01:10 PM
Good luck Mark Brown, I thought you were the best of the goalkeeping school, just a bit unfortunate that you very rarely had a defence to speak of.

Think Williams will go on to be the solid No 1 we have been looking for however. And I'm happy with Calum Antell as our second choice, we never did too badly with Chris Reid backing up Jim Leighton, and correct me if I'm wrong but he didn't have too much experience? Plus I think Antell has the talent and commitment to make it, hope he gets a chance at some point to build some confidence.

brog
23-07-2012, 01:31 PM

I always wish every ex Hibs player well & MB is no exception but I'm not unhappy at his departure. IMO, the basics you expect from a keeper are commanding your area, organising your defence & being able to clear competently with your feet. I don't think MB was particularly adept at any of these, & his decent shotstopping ability didn't compensate for the lack of the basic tools. Again, I wish him well & hope he's successful wherever he goes.

Andy74
23-07-2012, 01:48 PM
Mark Brown seemed to be the one involved when we had some thumpings. Not necessarily his fault but it did seem to happen that way for him.

IWasThere2016
23-07-2012, 03:09 PM
I have never been that impressed with him, i thought Stack was better, as did consecutive managers. If he'd have been our No1 this season, i'd have been worried. Might be a good guy, but he's far from good enough for what i want at Hibs.

:agree: Yogi made him as one of our very top earners too - madness.

Hibiza
23-07-2012, 04:39 PM
Great news , hope he plays a blinder.

BSEJVT
23-07-2012, 05:38 PM
I am sure he is a lovely man who helps old ladies across streets and rescue cats from up trees.

However he was employed as our goalkeeper and I have to say he never convinced me for one minute in that employment.

I would far rather have an untried youth like Antell with the potential to improve as back up than someone whose improving days, such as they were, were long behind him.

I dont wish him any ill-will at all , but quite why he should be absolved from the same ridicule as some of our loan signings last year who contributed far more on the park for far less than we paid Mr Brown have suffered I am unclear of as not all of these guys were night club charlatans either.

nonshinyfinish
23-07-2012, 05:51 PM

Do you ever get to Roots Hall?