PDA

View Full Version : What Is There To Look Forward To?

Speedway
20-07-2012, 12:48 PM
Nice happy title to get us off on the right foot.

Serious question though.

Meditating on yesterday's Petrie Letter and accompanying music video, the message was very much 'Don't ask what Hibernian can do for you, ask what you can do for Hibernian'.

'Cept, I've been doing my duty for years, like most of you guys have. Many I'm sure have gone beyond the call of duty so far, that just doing your duty would be like having a rest from Hibs.

This pre-season I'm 'scunnered' to use the popular term. I don't see anything to look forward to, no signings to get excited about, no chance of decent performances, I think we're rank rotten and I don't fancy another relegation battle.

So before I get the petrol and swan vestas out, I wanted to ask if anyone is genuinely looking forward to the new season and why (getting you out of shopping with the missus doesn't count)

What's to look forward to at Hibs?

Thecat23
20-07-2012, 12:56 PM
I still think it's funny folk who think we can challenge in the top six. This team as it stands will finish no higher than 9th max. Hibs will have a poor season mark my words. I'll still go along but I expect nothing, nothing at all. Only going as I do nothing else on a sat. Only plus is that Rangers aren't around to sing the bile when they come to ER. Only other thing to look forward to his talent spotting in the crowd when the football just get to much! :wink:

Pretty Boy
20-07-2012, 01:02 PM
I'm intending to go to far more away games. The football might still be gash but the away day banter and pre match pints is always good.

We don't have to have one end of our ground filled by filthy huns twice a season for at least a couple of years.

We actually look like we have the makings of a steady defence and goalkeeer next season so might not lose as many calamitous goals as previous years.

That's about it.

Scouse Hibee
20-07-2012, 01:10 PM
The realism that we are Hibs and therefore my expectation levels are set accordingly is what keeps me going, no point in trying to kid yourself of anything else or you may as well stay at home!

Gatecrasher
20-07-2012, 01:13 PM
I'm intersted to see how to the new signings look and how Pat Fenlon has shaped the team. I'm hopefull of a comfertable season and a few more home wins. The home kit also looks class. Our players will be the most stylish in the SPL/World :coolhib:

Speedway
20-07-2012, 01:20 PM
I'm intersted to see how to the new signings look and how Pat Fenlon has shaped the team. I'm hopefull of a comfertable season and a few more home wins. The home kit also looks class. Our players will be the most stylish in the SPL/World :coolhib:

The strip I agree with, it's the only positive so far.

matty_f
20-07-2012, 01:25 PM
I'm mostly looking forward to the season being different with Sevco being missing. The changes in league football are coming so hopefully they're done properly.

Steve20
20-07-2012, 01:25 PM
There is nothing to look forward to. We've lost Griffiths' and O'Connors goals and neither has been replaced.

Relegation battle awaits.

HibsMax
20-07-2012, 01:33 PM
We have everything to look forward to next season. We don't know what's going to happen, at least I don't, so I expect and hope for the best. That might result in disappointment but until we actually implode I'm not going to sit around waiting for it to happen. It's a new season and everyone is tied for first. Go ahead and call me crazy but it's just the outlook I prefer to have. I suck at golf, I know I do, but I have my moments. Do I tee off expecting to shoot like crap or am I hoping that today could be the day that I string together a few good holes all at once?

SMAXXA
20-07-2012, 01:34 PM
There is nothing to look forward to. We've lost Griffiths' and O'Connors goals and neither has been replaced.

Don't be such a defeatist, I'm looking forward to the unknown and hopefully.........progress.

c31
20-07-2012, 01:35 PM
a new manager after the AGM..

GreenCastle
20-07-2012, 01:53 PM
Looking forward to my new seat in the East - people moaning as soon as they wake up to the fact we are still needing better players in key positions.

Also can't wait for 111 years in a row and the 5v1 taunting :wink:

Macaroon
20-07-2012, 01:55 PM
I'm looking forward to going to Easter Road to watch Hibernian play. Fullstop.

(I'm young. The novelty hasn't worn off yet :devil:)

GreenPJ
20-07-2012, 02:00 PM
We are going to have to play a number of youngsters on a relatively frequent basis. That brings with it an unknown and so something to look forward to. Other clubs with the exception of Celtic are all going to be weaker so in theory I think we should be more competitive (if not quite going as far as top 6). I also believe that a good manager could improve our players with a combination of confidence building and good coaching.

lord bunberry
20-07-2012, 02:00 PM
I'm really looking forward to the new season meeting up with the boys again having a few beers. Some people on here need to lighten up

mcvie7
20-07-2012, 02:15 PM

You seem to be forgetting that we were in a relegation battle with Griffiths' and O'Connor.

mcvie7
20-07-2012, 02:16 PM
I'm really looking forward to the new season meeting up with the boys again having a few beers. Some people on here need to lighten up

My thoughts exactly!!!

jonny
20-07-2012, 02:32 PM
This is the season we win the Scottish cup. Don't ask how I know - I just do.

Lago
20-07-2012, 02:34 PM

Serious question though.

Meditating on yesterday's Petrie Letter and accompanying music video, the message was very much 'Don't ask what Hibernian can do for you, ask what you can do for Hibernian'.

'Cept, I've been doing my duty for years, like most of you guys have. Many I'm sure have gone beyond the call of duty so far, that just doing your duty would be like having a rest from Hibs.

This pre-season I'm 'scunnered' to use the popular term. I don't see anything to look forward to, no signings to get excited about, no chance of decent performances, I think we're rank rotten and I don't fancy another relegation battle.

So before I get the petrol and swan vestas out, I wanted to ask if anyone is genuinely looking forward to the new season and why (getting you out of shopping with the missus doesn't count)

What in Scottish football is there to look forward to at any level. Not a lot, but we better get use to it because it's going to be that way for a goodly number of years.

Pretty Boy
20-07-2012, 02:38 PM

I'll have some of what you're on!

Macaroon
20-07-2012, 02:43 PM

A lot of people "knew" before that final. :rolleyes:

Jim44
20-07-2012, 02:55 PM
We're in a boring rut just now with not much prospect of progress on last season. It's a chicken and egg situation with Petrie saying we can't realisically expect improvements unless the supporters dig deep in their pockets and lots of supporters unwilling to dig deep until there are signs of improvement. The only certainty is that Petrie will not give ground under any circumstances so we've got to hope that Fenlon, with the two or three additions he's managed so far, gets lucky and encourages more supporters to drift back.

Baldy Foghorn
20-07-2012, 03:08 PM
Wednesday against Lierse, proved to me we have a long way to go, we need to strengthen in midfield and up front. Hoping we add to squad, but after the chairmans message, I am not convinced we will see many more, although hoping to be proved wrong

horseflesh
20-07-2012, 03:15 PM
Sometimes i wake up and i think "what a lovely day, cant wait to getup/go out/ go for a pint" then it sinks in again - 5 - 1! Will this pain ever stop? I thought that the final might mark rock bottom but it looks like getting worse.
When we got relegated last time we bobbled along the bottom for a while thinking "we will be alright" even a play off win over Airdrie was not heeded and down we went. This is *****

Just Alf
20-07-2012, 03:29 PM
Sometimes i wake up and i think "what a lovely day, cant wait to getup/go out/ go for a pint" then it sinks in again - 5 - 1! Will this pain ever stop? I thought that the final might mark rock bottom but it looks like getting worse.
When we got relegated last time we bobbled along the bottom for a while thinking "we will be alright" even a play off win over Airdrie was not heeded and down we went. This is *****

I'm fine :-)

I know season tickets sold = players in .... Bottom line, and we all need to focus on that.... numbers are still a bit low but despite that... I'm cool about it all .... My Bruv is a Yam and he's started to go quiet......there's more positives from our side than his, mind you he sez they're laughing their cocks off at our (apparently) usual arguing between ourselves.... ..Regardless I'll be there on the 11th and will be behind the Hibees 100%!

GGTTH

jdships
20-07-2012, 03:30 PM
We have everything to look forward to next season. We don't know what's going to happen, at least I don't, so I expect and hope for the best. That might result in disappointment but until we actually implode I'm not going to sit around waiting for it to happen. It's a new season and everyone is tied for first. Go ahead and call me crazy but it's just the outlook I prefer to have. I suck at golf, I know I do, but I have my moments. Do I tee off expecting to shoot like crap or am I hoping that today could be the day that I string together a few good holes all at once?

' Good on you mate ' that's it for me also :thumbsup:!!!!!!!!!!!!
Boy are the gloom and doomers out today.
Let's be positive for F...s sake .
Scottish football right accross the board is in a situation where the future really is unknown
At ER , thanks to prudence on the part of the board , I don't see any reason why we can't at least compete for atop3/4 finish .
If you feel like the OP are you going to stay at home and whinge or are you going to give the players support ?
I accept that football is part of the entetainment business but given the present situation I amprepared to give my support next season in the hope things will improve.

Twa Cairpets
20-07-2012, 03:47 PM
Serious question though.

So, in what is destined to be the most unusual season in the history of Scottish football, you are entirely uninterested in whats going to happen? Yes, we might be weaker (and I'm yet to be convinced of this, although you'd apparently have us relegated already), but so is pretty much every other team in the league.

I'm hoping this is something of a trolling post. If it is, well done, you got me.

If it's not, then why are you bothering to be depressed? You could always just bugger off totally.

Lots of us have been "doing our duty" for years. Well done. You dont get to bank future expectation as a result of longevity of support. You've always had the choice to go, you've paid your money and you've accepted the fare that has been on show. If the fare is no longer to your taste, dont go. If lots of people take your view, then the club will, eventually, wither and die. Not melodramatic, not happy-clapper, just a fact. If we want better, it costs, if a significant number dont, no problem, but the acceptance has to be that this will mean a reduction in standard.

So, what we have to look forward to is a new season, no huns, weakened opposition, no Calderwood, no "bags of sweeties" uncertainty, the possibility of a good few of our rivals going into administration, and the chance to watch football. That'll do for me. When it wont do for me, I'll go away, and not bother the message boards with "woe, woe is me, I deserve better, Petrie is mean, Fenlon isnt good enough, yadda yadda yadda" keech that seems to be creeping back with the resolution of the Hun situation

IWasThere2016
20-07-2012, 04:11 PM
We need to add 4/5 players, and a couple of decent ones also. Otherwise, it will be another dull slog IMHO.

snooky
20-07-2012, 04:15 PM
You seem to be forgetting that we were in a relegation battle with Griffiths' and O'Connor.

Aye, & without them there may not be a battle. :worried:

IWasThere2016
20-07-2012, 04:31 PM
So, in what is destined to be the most unusual season in the history of Scottish football, you are entirely uninterested in whats going to happen? Yes, we might be weaker (and I'm yet to be convinced of this, although you'd apparently have us relegated already), but so is pretty much every other team in the league.

I'm hoping this is something of a trolling post. If it is, well done, you got me.

If it's not, then why are you bothering to be depressed? You could always just bugger off totally.

Lots of us have been "doing our duty" for years. Well done. You dont get to bank future expectation as a result of longevity of support. You've always had the choice to go, you've paid your money and you've accepted the fare that has been on show. If the fare is no longer to your taste, dont go. If lots of people take your view, then the club will, eventually, wither and die. Not melodramatic, not happy-clapper, just a fact. If we want better, it costs, if a significant number dont, no problem, but the acceptance has to be that this will mean a reduction in standard.

So, what we have to look forward to is a new season, no huns, weakened opposition, no Calderwood, no "bags of sweeties" uncertainty, the possibility of a good few of our rivals going into administration, and the chance to watch football. That'll do for me. When it wont do for me, I'll go away, and not bother the message boards with "woe, woe is me, I deserve better, Petrie is mean, Fenlon isnt good enough, yadda yadda yadda" keech that seems to be creeping back with the resolution of the Hun situation

Where are the goals gonna come from?

Mikey
20-07-2012, 04:38 PM

You don't give up, do you? Any chance you get................

Andy74
20-07-2012, 04:44 PM
I'm looking forward to some maybe taking up another hobby as they clearly don't love this one.

Hibercelona
20-07-2012, 04:47 PM
There is nothing to look forward to this season.

Our only saving grace will be that there are 2 clubs up from the 1st division and hopefully at least one of them has as much of a stinker as Dunfermline had last season.

Anybody who is expecting better from us this time round is in complete denial about the current mess we're in.

The derbies will be the hardest to take I feel.

PeeJay
20-07-2012, 05:29 PM
A new season is always full of new hope for fans, and I think this season is actually full of opportunity - RFC no more - there is a great chance for a team to take 2nd spot, and get into Europe. A team doing that a couple of seasons on the trot before that new club maybe makes its appearance on the SPL scene, would enable the team to boost its fans base, boost its revenues and boost its chances of having a team that could compete on a consistent basis - the only problem I feel is that, that team won't be us.

From the highlights I've seen of the two friendlies we have not improved - it's early days yet, so perhaps things will come good. Seems to me we really were rubbish last year, but we had guys who could score goals, even out of nothing, those guys saved us from the drop - but this year we don't have any goalscorers (yet). As a team, we can't defend, and we can't score goals - that's not a good combination really. So all I expect in this season of opportunity is for us to be trying to avoid relegation ...

Just my opinion like, the team can go ahead and prove me wrong - won't bother me in the slightest!

As an overseas fan all this talk of "buy a season ticket" to help the club gets on my wick, because as an overseas fan I can maybe still buy a season ticket but I can't watch every game as I used to be able to and I have to suffer some commentator uninterested in Hibs instead of Hibs fans commentating for Hibs fans - well, cheers for that Petrie! Nothing like catering for the fan base that is so important to you!

Twa Cairpets
20-07-2012, 05:30 PM

Dont worry, they'll come from here. (http://www.itsagoal.net/)

Twa Cairpets
20-07-2012, 05:32 PM

Our only saving grace will be that there are 2 clubs up from the 1st division and hopefully at least one of them has as much of a stinker as Dunfermline had last season.

Anybody who is expecting better from us this time round is in complete denial about the current mess we're in.

So I take it you wont be going.

Why would you go to something you clearly dont enjoy?

snooky
20-07-2012, 05:37 PM
Dont worry, they'll come from here. (http://www.itsagoal.net/)

:top marks (for thinking outside the box :wink:)

Saorsa
20-07-2012, 05:37 PM
I'm looking forward tae my new seat back up beside the lads :thumbsup: :flag: Missed last season until the St. Johnstone game in January because my back was knackered and when I did get back I had tae sit down the front on my jack most games as I couldnae make the stairs.

Hibercelona
20-07-2012, 05:39 PM
So I take it you wont be going.

Why would you go to something you clearly dont enjoy?

As always, i'll attend games if I can make them.

Just because I haven't enjoyed the games in recent times, doesn't mean that I don't enjoy being a supporter of the club.

But I see this season being another poor one for us. I think the joy of the Rangers situation has over clouded our own issues.

HibsMax
20-07-2012, 06:00 PM

I'm not in any sort of denial. I know that we're in a mess. I just choose to have a positive outlook. It's not a foregone conclusion that we will be relegated or even in that battle. We might be. We might not.

Think of it this way. When you are faced with a tough challenge do you just not even bother trying? Do you assume the worst and leave it at that? That's not for me I'm happy to say.

Let's hope that whomever is wesaring the green next season doesn't give up as easily as some of our fans.

Hibercelona
20-07-2012, 06:10 PM
I'm not in any sort of denial. I know that we're in a mess. I just choose to have a positive outlook. It's not a foregone conclusion that we will be relegated or even in that battle. We might be. We might not.

Think of it this way. When you are faced with a tough challenge do you just not even bother trying? Do you assume the worst and leave it at that? That's not for me I'm happy to say.

Let's hope that whomever is wesaring the green next season doesn't give up as easily as some of our fans.

I've got nothing against people being either optimistic or pessimistic.

I am however trying to be realistic. Statistically, we don't look good. I "personally" believe that we'll struggle again this season.

As for not bothering to try when faced with a challenge, you should be aiming that question towards the players we've signed over the last several years.

HibsMax
20-07-2012, 06:16 PM
I've got nothing against people being either optimistic or pessimistic.

I am however trying to be realistic. Statistically, we don't look good. I "personally" believe that we'll struggle again this season.

As for not bothering to try when faced with a challenge, you should be aiming that question towards the players we've signed over the last several years.

I think I'm being realistic too....since nobody has seen a ball kicked in anger yet. We don't know what to expect. Maybe we should wait until we've played a couple of competitive SPL games before guessing where we'll end up.

I guess all I'm saying is that it's a little depressing to read about fans giving up on Hibs before the season has even started.

Hibercelona
20-07-2012, 06:21 PM
I think I'm being realistic too....since nobody has seen a ball kicked in anger yet. We don't know what to expect. Maybe we should wait until we've played a couple of competitive SPL games before guessing where we'll end up.

I guess all I'm saying is that it's a little depressing to read about fans giving up on Hibs before the season has even started.

I never suggested that I was giving up on Hibs. I haven't said that at all.

One Day Soon
20-07-2012, 06:48 PM
I'm on disc 7 out of 10 in a boxed set of the HBO series 'Band of Brothers'. It's a really excellent re-telling of the story of Easy Company from the US 101st Airborne, from their training camp through to D-Day at Normandy and then on to - most recently - the Battle of the Bulge in the Ardennes forest.

Given that is was produced by a combination of Spielberg and Tom Hanks it is as you would expect impressively observed with lots of attention to detail and a pretty faithful account of the battlefield, comradeship, loyalty and the forging of friendships in the most extreme circumstances.

I have to say - and I honestly don't wish to offend anyone - I would hate to be stuck in a trench with some of the negative defeatist Jim Delahunts on here.

JohnStephens91
20-07-2012, 07:03 PM

Serious question though.

We have a very open and honest manager and one who cares deeply about his job and from his short time here he seems to have grown affection with the club. Fenlon is very passionate and along with McPake these two should make good headway into changing the culture at the club. Clancy, Cairney and Williams all looked good against East Fife and hopefully they will continue to look good against better opposition, plus we have young players coming through who all look the part and need to make the step up now. The squad may look relatively weak but we need to remember how big a job Fenlon has had on his hands since he took over and I'm confident we will progress this season and avoid any talk of relegation and be 'best of the rest' in 7th place.

I'm looking forward to seeing our side and our manager giving everything for Hibs, because a lot of the players on the books now do that, and if they are played in their correct positions we will be a stronger outfit. Next season will not be a bad one but it will not set the world on fire either.

HIBERNIAN-0762
20-07-2012, 07:06 PM
I would have thought that after last seasons disgrace the board would have taken the mess by the scruff of the neck and grew a pair but it's the same old business talk from Petrie about the lack of cash so I'm expecting us to finish 2nd bottom again.

Unless we sign another 3/4 players then it's as you were...

Sorry guys

Craig_in_Prague
20-07-2012, 07:24 PM
on the park (where it matters) we've been on a downward spiral for 5 years. Why should it be any surprise that the fans are feeling pretty low now too.. not to mention the small matter of SC embarrasment to have polished off a horendous season.
I am not looking forward to new season because we will be honking again and possibly the worse hibs team ever. We have no chance to be the best from a poor bunch.. bottom 3 again.
I suppose its a little strange coz i think everyone likes Pat. But on the pitch i think it will be really grim and if i lived in Scotland i would probably follow junior fitbaw even though i know hibs need the money.

love hibs.. just not maybe "in" love.

Offside Trap
20-07-2012, 07:25 PM
I'm looking forward to:

- Attending Hibs games at ER with my family;
- Going into every match believing we have a chance of winning;
- Celebrating Hibs wins - no matter how few and far between;
- The anticipation of the cup draws;
- Hoping that some of the young players who break into the team excite and give us optimism;
- Laughing at Huns in D3;
- A new sense of community, optimism and level of support amongst Scottish football fans;

- And after we've been pumped reading the doomsayer comments and player ratings on here.:greengrin

HibsMax
20-07-2012, 07:28 PM
I never suggested that I was giving up on Hibs. I haven't said that at all.

Sorry, that is one of the issues with forums and quoting people. I didn't mean you specifically.

Jonnyboy
20-07-2012, 07:30 PM
I'm looking forward to:

- Hoping that some of the young players who break into the team excite and give us optimism;
- A new sense of community, optimism and level of support amongst Scottish football fans;

- And after we've been pumped reading the doomsayer comments and player ratings on here.:greengrin

Ditto :agree:

Franck Stanton
20-07-2012, 07:32 PM

A wee chink of light in all this doom and gloom. I think we will surprise a few people and have a reasonably good season. We have strengthened in vital aresa, McPake, Clancy and Williams have strengthened the defence, Crainey will improve m/f [ not be hard to improve on last few years], think moving Spoony into centre will prove to be a good move, Doyle will more than hold his own and Fenlon is on record stating he sees another striker is a priority signing. Add in the youngsters about to make the breakthrough and , imo, all is not as black as some posters are saying. Anyway, it's the start of a new season, I for one am itching to get back to games so, bring it on, C'mon the Hibbys.

:pfgwa:pfgwa:pfgwa:pfgwa:pfgwa

lord bunberry
20-07-2012, 07:34 PM
I'm looking forward to:

Well said mate I get the feeling from reading this thread that some people are waiting for us to fail so they can tell us I told you so. There's far to many so called fans who no matter what happen will always find an excuse to have a go

HibsMax
20-07-2012, 07:40 PM
We have a very open and honest manager and one who cares deeply about his job and from his short time here he seems to have grown affection with the club. Fenlon is very passionate and along with McPake these two should make good headway into changing the culture at the club. Clancy, Cairney and Williams all looked good against East Fife and hopefully they will continue to look good against better opposition, plus we have young players coming through who all look the part and need to make the step up now. The squad may look relatively weak but we need to remember how big a job Fenlon has had on his hands since he took over and I'm confident we will progress this season and avoid any talk of relegation and be 'best of the rest' in 7th place.

I'm looking forward to seeing our side and our manager giving everything for Hibs, because a lot of the players on the books now do that, and if they are played in their correct positions we will be a stronger outfit. Next season will not be a bad one but it will not set the world on fire either.

Are we meeting in the Percy the night before the Cup Final again? ;) I have my flights booked.

HibsMax
20-07-2012, 07:46 PM
I'm sure nobody here needs reminding so just consider my comments as the ramblings of an idiot who'll talk to anyone. :)

Rod Petrie is not Hibs.
Sir Tom Farmer is not Hibs.
Pat Fenlon is not Hibs.
James McPake is not Hibs.

WE are Hibs.

Any money you pump into the club is not about any of the names above, or any of the others I could list. It's about our club. In the long term, staying away hurts us much more than it hurts anyone else.

down-the-slope
20-07-2012, 07:55 PM
Wednesday against Lierse, proved to me we have a long way to go, we need to strengthen in midfield and up front. Hoping we add to squad, but after the chairmans message, I am not convinced we will see many more, although hoping to be proved wrong

Wondered where you had vanished to :greengrin Yup we have a lot of work to blend a team. I hope that more of the youngsters get opportunities while the tour is on as it a more forgiving situation to blood them. I think that we will see a slowing of activity from all Scottish clubs until the end of the window and players who have not got clubs are more realistic with demands.

We need an old head midfielder and an experienced forward as a minimum though.

Back on topic - looking forward to watching some youngsters progress / having Dundee back in the league & Ross County...bit of freshness there

mca
20-07-2012, 08:21 PM
Stuff the Negativity.. ffs its so doom and gloom..

yes the jambos are going to gloat about the cup final - and they probably end next season higher up the league than us..

Im Away to put a Tenner on us finishing 3rd ... :aok:.... :flag:

micka_weer
20-07-2012, 09:13 PM
Positives are that each and every morning I wake up I'll still be a Hibby, I'd hate to be a fan of either old firm team, expectation of winning results in either disappointment or boredom. Say what you will about being a Hibs fan, it's never bored me! I'm looking forward to seeing how the team blend together, excited to see the first part of Fenlon's plan come to fruition. All this to look forward to :-) (slightly Rose tinted by a few beers but the jist of it is accurate)