PDA

View Full Version : Osbourne to Blackpool (Confirmed)

Pages : [1] 2

Thomson
17-07-2012, 09:00 AM
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11792/7905565/Blackpool-eye-Hibs-ace

Ah well. Bye Bye Ozzy :rolleyes:

S4uzee
17-07-2012, 09:03 AM

That would be a massive setback

CallumLaidlaw
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11781/7905565/

Wheat Hound

If this provides the funds to sign a midfielder who has creativity, pace and/or doesn't shirk tackles like a big jessy, then I'll be fine with this.

Stevie Reid

If we get money for him, I'll be delighted.

MSK
17-07-2012, 09:04 AM

Ah well. Bye Bye Ozzy :rolleyes:Wonder how much ..?

Mikey
17-07-2012, 09:04 AM
Does he need a lift?

Stevie Reid
17-07-2012, 09:05 AM

Are you joking?

S4uzee
17-07-2012, 09:05 AM
use this money to offer Black decent wages

brog
17-07-2012, 09:08 AM

I like Osbourne though his potential has exceeded his performances to date. We have very few marketable assets now so if we use money from his sale to get in another 2 or 3 players I'd be happy.

S4uzee
17-07-2012, 09:10 AM
Are you joking?
Nah am not, think he could be a big player this season with better around him

Hibercelona
Hibs, like most SPL sides, are not in a position financially to reject any reasonable offers and Blackpool are understood to have made a bid.

Even sky are at it. :rolleyes:

use this money to offer Black decent wages

Eh, no.

wearethehibs
Does he need a lift?

Are you serious? Clearly you dont know what a good footballer is.

Would be a big loss as I think he will be great for us this season.

Steve20
17-07-2012, 09:12 AM

He wouldn't be a loss at all, because he doesn't do anything. Poor player.

Stevie Reid
17-07-2012, 09:12 AM
I like Osbourne though his potential has exceeded his performances to date. We have very few marketable assets now so if we use money from his sale to get in another 2 or players I'd be happy.

I would imagine Ian Holloway's pursuit of Osbourne will be based on his potential shown at Aston Villa, and not on his poor Hibs career. Holloway is one of those managers who seems to have a talent for bringing the best out of players who have failed elsewhere.

Important that people don't revise history if he goes down there and is a success - Osbourne has been a dismal failure here.

Stevie Reid
17-07-2012, 09:14 AM

If he was good he would have stood out amongst our poor midfield - he will be no loss.

You MUST be joking.

Brightside
17-07-2012, 09:15 AM
Getting money for a player who doesnt look bothered half the time, is a huge bonus. Take the money and use it to pay the wage of a decent class hard tackling ball winner from English First.

Elephant Stone
17-07-2012, 09:15 AM

He's done **** all for us so far. Any hope that he'll become a good player for us is purely that- hope. We're on a tight budget and we can't be hoping players up their game.

I'll be absolutely delighted if we get some money for him.

Craig_in_Prague
17-07-2012, 09:19 AM
He was probably the best of a bad bunch last season in midfield... gotta hope Pat brings in better then.

S4uzee
17-07-2012, 09:24 AM
If he was good he would have stood out amongst our poor midfield - he will be no loss.

You must have forgot he was injured for a wee bit. Also played out on the right which was clearly not his position. I remember dunfermline away when he was in the middle and was superb

Billy Whizz
17-07-2012, 09:25 AM

Where was he when we needed him on the18th May? Not good enough, sell for a reasonable fee and replace with better.

Andy74
17-07-2012, 09:27 AM
[QUOTE=Stevie Reid;3297416]If he was good he would have stood out amongst our poor midfield - he will be no loss.

You must have forgot he was injured for a wee bit. Also played out on the right which was clearly not his position. I remember dunfermline away when he was in the middle and was superb

I could go either way on this one - I think he clearly has some great attributes and is probably one of our best players, in theory.

However, he hasn't really been a huges success as yet, but maybe that's been due to being played in the wrong position sometimes and not having players around him that know what they are doing.

I'd rather have him at the club than not though just now.

CallumLaidlaw
17-07-2012, 09:27 AM

PeterboroHibee
17-07-2012, 09:28 AM
I think Osbourne has potential, particularly when he picks up the ball and drives forward. But for a guy of his size and stature, he really doesnt get stuck in in the middle of the park often enough, and like all our midfielders, is far too slow getting back to help out the defence (something which costs us massively).

I still feel we are missing something different in midfield, and if it means one player leaving to bring them in, then so be it (although I would rather it was one of the other midfielders going). If the moneys right then we should sell.

allezsauzee
17-07-2012, 09:29 AM
If we got 500k i'd take it. He did ok last season but i think he disappears from games at times.

Stevie Reid
17-07-2012, 09:30 AM
If we got 500k i'd take it. He did ok last season but i think he disappears from games at times.

£50K would do nicely.

The Sea-gull
How much will we have to pay Blackpool to take him?

Any reasonable offer and we snap their hands off IMHO. He looks the part and on occasion (very rare occasion) plays the part but hasn't done anything of note often enough.

Would rather bank the cash and even bring in a lesser talented player but someone who has proved they can do it week in week out in the SPL. Osbourne is frustrating as I really do (hate this phrase) think there is a player in there. Just wonder if he will ever be consistent in the SPL.

That said, he has only had one season and maybe a change in shape of the team and a couple of new players around him could see him be a revelation. The way things are financially now though can Hibs afford to keep his like and gamble on him coming good if there is concrete £ on the table?

Without selling Osbourne it may mean that there is no funds for new players and I don't know about anyone else but I would dread the thought of going into the new season with last season's midfield with the only fresh blood being an untested First Division player.

Cocaine&Caviar
Absolutly bite their hand off!

brog
I would imagine Ian Holloway's pursuit of Osbourne will be based on his potential shown at Aston Villa, and not on his poor Hibs career. Holloway is one of those managers who seems to have a talent for bringing the best out of players who have failed elsewhere.

Important that people don't revise history if he goes down there and is a success - Osbourne has been a dismal failure here.

Well Osbourne has made more appearances for Hibs than for any other club in his 6 year career & other than 1 game a year or 2 back hasn't featured for Villa for 5 years. You're correct in that Holloway has been a long time admirer but I'm sure he will have had Oz watched last season. Re bold above, that's not a fact, it's only your opinion, mine & others may be different.
PS, Blackpool are notoriously tough to deal with so I wouldn't expect a windfall, I doubt they'll start off with anything more than a bid of £50k

Franck Stanton
17-07-2012, 09:31 AM
Where was he when we needed him on the18th May? Not good enough, sell for a reasonable fee and replace with better.

hear and understand what you are saying mate, but it was the 19th May, can understand you wanting to block the correct date ouit of your memory however.

The Sea-gull
17-07-2012, 09:31 AM

Think you might find we'll be lucky to get half of that.

blackpoolhibs
17-07-2012, 09:32 AM
He was probably our best midfielder last season, yet we were pish in that department all season. I'd get rid of the rest before him, but if it gave us the money to bring in someone like Black or similar, i'd come up and drive him here myself.

Personally i cant see him getting a game in any position at Blackpool? :confused:

Stevie Reid
17-07-2012, 09:37 AM
[/B]Well Osbourne has made more appearances for Hibs than for any other club in his 6 year career & other than 1 game a year or 2 back hasn't featured for Villa for 5 years. You're correct in that Holloway has been a long time admirer but I'm sure he will have had Oz watched last season. Re bold above, that's not a fact, it's only your opinion, mine & others may be different.
PS, Blackpool are notoriously tough to deal with so I wouldn't expect a windfall, I doubt they'll start off with anything more than a bid of £50k

I didn't claim it was a fact - all of my posts are my opinions, some are more definite than others.

Brightside
17-07-2012, 09:38 AM

haha 500k? we wouldnt get that for the whole squad at the moment.

Mikey
all of my posts are my opinions, some are more definite than others.

FACT :greengrin

Stevie Reid
FACT :greengrin

:greengrin

jimmythefish
17-07-2012, 09:39 AM

dreaming try 100-200k max

Stevie Reid
17-07-2012, 09:43 AM
If he was to stay with us he'd have my full support but as a ST holder I did not see him have one good game at ER last season - I believe that he was very good away at Parkhead and 3-2 win at Dunfermline, but I'm genuinely struggling to come up with many positive contributions or good moments that he had.

I can think of his shot that caused the OG against Dundee Utd and a great flick to Booth in the St. Johnstone home defeat - other than that he had a few runs that were quite good, that's it.

1 goal, maybe 1 assist? Poor going forward, not much use defensively, and gave the ball away cheaply a lot - with him being a high earner and on a long contract, I'd be delighted if we get any money for him.

Like many others who have been here over recent years, he has good attributes and you can imagine him being a good player for us, but it just hasn't worked out.

Hermit Crab
17-07-2012, 09:48 AM
So who do we get in to replace him? There's not very many players we can afford who we can bring in.

bingo70
17-07-2012, 09:49 AM
I gave lewis a lot of stick last season for not offering enough going forward but he was just as bad. He's a box to box midfielder that couldn't get from box to box.

Maybe a player in there somewhere but I've got my doubts.

Stevie Reid
17-07-2012, 09:50 AM
So who do we get in to replace him? There's not very many players we can afford who we can bring in.

There are no guarantees as we know to our cost, but there most definitely better players (or players who will perform better) out there for his wage.

LancsHibs
17-07-2012, 09:55 AM
Osborne, not our worst player! However, remember leaving Hampden on 19/5 and saying apart from McPake I would gladly get rid of all the others if I could and still stand by that. Ozzy was a big part of last seasons dismal failure and if he does go is one less reminder of last season and THAT day, so on that case:bye:
Maybe get a cash plus player deal from Blackpool with Sutherland coming our way?

mcvie7
17-07-2012, 09:55 AM

Prob in the pub? As for the 19th May i see what your saying.

Stevie Reid
17-07-2012, 09:59 AM
Prob in the pub? As for the 19th May i see what your saying.

Gave the ball away in unbelievably cheap fashion in the build up to the second goal and didn't bother his arse trying to even track back, never mind to try and retrieve possession.

truehibernian
17-07-2012, 09:59 AM
There are no guarantees as we know to our cost, but there most definitely better players (or players who will perform better) out there for his wage.

Won't need to go into the market in my opinion. Sam Stanton can step up easily. My only concern would be body strength, but that can be worked on. Very good, skilful, tidy player.

J-C
17-07-2012, 10:00 AM

Osbourne is an average to decent player at best, who disappears when things get tough, another player with so called "potential" a word I'm getting fed up seeing on this site. We need players who can step up now, players who have realized their potential not players who may be good enough eventually, take the cash and get someone in who can do a job now.

Stevie Reid
17-07-2012, 10:01 AM
Won't need to go into the market in my opinion. Sam Stanton can step up easily. My only concern would be body strength, but that can be worked on. Very good, skilful, tidy player.

Certainly liked what I've heard about him. Still think we could do with a midfield enforcer though.

GordonHFC
17-07-2012, 10:02 AM
It doesn't make a blind bit of difference how much we get for him it won't be given to Pat to bring in new players. We know from the past that any transfer money we bring in goes to clear debt.

truehibernian
17-07-2012, 10:03 AM
Certainly liked what I've heard about him. Still think we could do with a midfield enforcer though.

Certainly don't disagree there mate. I'd love Hibs to have gone for Lasley in that role. However maybe Ian Black could put down his paintbrush if Div 3 doesn't take his fancy.

Stevie Reid
17-07-2012, 10:03 AM
It doesn't make a blind bit of difference how much we get for him it won't be given to Pat to bring in new players. We know from the past that any transfer money we bring in goes to clear debt.

Any fee would be nominal, and wouldn't make a dent in the debt - I'm pretty confident that it would be added to Pat's budget.

Stevie Reid
17-07-2012, 10:04 AM
Certainly don't disagree there mate. I'd love Hibs to have gone for Lasley in that role. However maybe Ian Black could put down his paintbrush if Div 3 doesn't take his fancy.

Would take him in a minute - we certainly need someone like him.

Agree that Lasley would have been good - good footballer with a nasty streak.

J-C
17-07-2012, 10:05 AM

We don't want to put all our eggs in one basket by relying on the youngsters, who as we know go up and down in their form due to strength issues at their age, these lads should be involved but only playing bit parts until they are fully ready, look what happened to Wotherspoon and Hanlon, thrown in when not fully ready and their form has slumped terribly this past 2 years.

Stevie Reid
17-07-2012, 10:09 AM
We don't want to put all our eggs in one basket by relying on the youngsters, who as we know go up and down in their form due to strength issues at their age, these lads should be involved but only playing bit parts until they are fully ready, look what happened to Wotherspoon and Hanlon, thrown in when not fully ready and their form has slumped terribly this past 2 years.

I fully agree. If Pat feels that Stanton is ready then I'm fine with that, but I don't imagine he has him lined up as a starter yet. If Osbourne does go I would expect the wage to be used on another midfielder who will be used as a regular starter.

LancsHibs
17-07-2012, 10:12 AM
[/B]

Petrie vs Oyston that would be some negotiation!!:greengrin possibly the two tightest misers in British football. Oyston is the type of millionaire that keeps a poppy in his draw!

Wotherspiniesta
17-07-2012, 10:13 AM
Wouldn't be letting Ozzy go. He had his ups and downs last season undoubtedly but if he can discover a bit of consistancy to his game, he'll be an asset for us. The fact that a good footballing manager like Ian Holloway is interested in him tells you what you need to know. I think most people on here are still clouded for his non appearance at Hampden against the Yams. Obviously forgetting how good he was against Aberdeen the month before that.

I should also add- I think he'd welcome a move back down south.

Hermit Crab
17-07-2012, 10:14 AM
Osbourne is an average to decent player at best, who disappears when things get tough, another player with so called "potential" a word I'm getting fed up seeing on this site. We need players who can step up now, players who have realized their potential not players who may be good enough eventually, take the cash and get someone in who can do a job now.

We don't want to be relying on our young guys too much. I'd get in for deano as a replacement.

GreenPJ
17-07-2012, 10:15 AM
If we get decent money I don't think we are in a position to turn it down, however, imo he is a decent player and if he did not have to spend half his time covering for people like Soares and Claros or we had strikers that could hold the ball up front and give the midfield and defence some respite we might have seen more of his creativity.

J-C
17-07-2012, 10:16 AM
Wouldn't be letting Ozzy go. He had his ups and downs last season undoubtedly but if he can discover a bit of consistancy to his game, he'll be an asset for us. The fact that a good footballing manager like Ian Holloway is interested in him tells you what you need to know. I think most people on here are still clouded for his non appearance at Hampden against the Yams. Obviously forgetting how good he was against Aberdeen the month before that.

Here we go about this consistency nonsense, we cannot have another season waiting on players reaching their potential, if we do then bottom 6 again for sure.

Stevie Reid
17-07-2012, 10:17 AM

Not at all in my case. He had a poor season, 3 good performances are not enough.

Wouldn't entirely rule him out potentially being good in the future should he stay, but we need actual, not potential.

FWIW he doesn't need consistency - he was consistently average/poor last season. He needs to start playing well regularly.

Wotherspiniesta
17-07-2012, 10:29 AM
Here we go about this consistency nonsense, we cannot have another season waiting on players reaching their potential, if we do then bottom 6 again for sure.

Yeh you're right, we can't wait another year on players reaching their potential. I'm going to be booing Caldwell and Handling if they've not scored 10 goals each come December TBH.

People are going to have to face it, we're going to have to rely on players who have potential because we simply can't afford the finished article. Even if there was a possibility of signing players in the peak of their career and proven at SPL level, would they even want to join this shambles of a league anymore?

Ozzy's had a season at Hibs now and showed glimpses of what he's capable of. Of course he needs to be more consistant. He's not a bruiser of a midfielder but he has a footballing brain. If we can start playing with the ball on the deck more often then we can start seeing the best of him.

Deek01
17-07-2012, 10:32 AM
Ozzy also had potentially one of the strikes of the season ruled out away to St Mirren !

Stevie Reid
17-07-2012, 10:35 AM
Yeh you're right, we can't wait another year on players reaching their potential. I'm going to be booing Caldwell and Handling if they've not scored 10 goals each come December TBH.

Osbourne is 24 years and 8 months old - 6 years older than those two.

Not exactly the same, is it?

Wotherspiniesta
17-07-2012, 10:38 AM
Osbourne is 24.

Paul Hartley was 24 when we released him.

Stevie Reid
17-07-2012, 10:38 AM
Paul Hartley was 24 when we released him.

Paul Hartley was miles better for us than Osbourne has ever been.

Bishop Hibee
17-07-2012, 10:40 AM

:pray: He's murder.

AlbertK86
Only big midfielder we have. Left with midgets again if he goes

Jim44

:agree: I would keep him for the first half of the season and see how he does. I think he is a decent player and could do well for us this season if we can get a settled team going. If he's good enough for Blackpool, he's good enough for us. I foresee another Vaz Te situation with Osbourne. Let's not go down that road again with a potentially useful player.

Stevie Reid
17-07-2012, 10:44 AM
:agree: I would keep him for the first half of the season and see how he does. I think he is a decent player and could do well for us this season if we can get a settled team going. If he's good enough for Blackpool, he's good enough for us. I foresee another Vaz Te situation with Osbourne. Let's not go down that road again with a potentially useful player.

Even if Osbourne were to go an be a success at Blackpool, it doesn't necessarily mean that he would've turned out to be good for us, Jim. Sometimes it just doesn't work out for a player at a club.

If he stays I hope he is a success, obviously - but he seems to lack the desire to play for Hibs that we really need, as well as any bottle or guts that an SPL midfielder requires.

Wotherspiniesta
17-07-2012, 10:45 AM

'Miles better'. Hardly. If he was that good would we have sent him on loan to Greenock Morton then let him leave? He peaked when he was about 30. Players develop at different times.

Last season was Ozzy's first season playing regular football. He'll be a better player next year.

Stevie Reid
17-07-2012, 10:47 AM
'Miles better'. Hardly. If he was that good would we have sent him on loan to Greenock Morton then let him leave? He peaked when he was about 30. Players develop at different times.

Last season was Ozzy's first season playing regular football. He'll be a better player next year.

Made a much bigger impression than Osbourne, and you could clearly see the potential in Hartley. You have to look really, really hard with Osbourne.

Wotherspiniesta
17-07-2012, 10:51 AM
Made a much bigger impression than Osbourne, and you could clearly see the potential in Hartley. You have to look really, really hard with Osbourne.

He has potential though. Let's leave it at that :aok:

easty
17-07-2012, 10:51 AM

He didnt perform nearly consistently enough to call losing him a 'massive setback'.

Stevie Reid
17-07-2012, 10:53 AM
He has potential though. Let's leave it at that :aok:

Can't see us getting £200K for Osbourne but more than happy to stop reminding myself how disappointing a signing he has been.

easty
17-07-2012, 10:56 AM

The bit in bold....do you mean that you think Osbourne thinks he's too good for us, too good for the SPL, and thats why he doesnt look interested, and why for the most part plays pretty ****? Cos that's how it was with Vaz Te.

Wotherspiniesta
17-07-2012, 10:56 AM
Can't see us getting £200K for Osbourne but more than happy to stop reminding myself how disappointing a signing he has been.

Could you see us getting 200k for anyone in this team? We were a better team back then. Ozzy will be a better player next season if he stays. :agree:

number9dream
17-07-2012, 10:57 AM
If we can get £100K + for Ozzy, a player with 12 months to run on his contract and did not convince last season, snap it up and use the cash towards getting two more in.
A dominant central midfielder is key, along with a striker.

Stevie Reid
17-07-2012, 11:00 AM
Could you see us getting 200k for anyone in this team? We were a better team back then. Ozzy will be a better player next season if he stays. :agree:

Yes.

You hope he will be - we all do, if he stays - but there are no guarantees.

GreenCastle
17-07-2012, 11:05 AM
Would keep Ozzy :agree:

For those who say he's murder and we don't need him - have you looked at our current squad or actually watched Ozzy play last season ?

For his 1st season last year which he had a few injuries the guy was at times a class above everyone else.

I sometimes despair when we think if we get rid of a player we will bring in a better replacement. Well if you look at the last few years - the reason we are where we are is getting rid of players who weren't as bad as many made out and replaced them with weaker players.

Unless we bring in a suitable replacement before he goes or get a decent fee to bring in 4 or 5 players (CM, Playmaker, x2 Strikers - plus a wide midfielder) keep him.

JHFC
17-07-2012, 11:10 AM
If we get 100k for him we could get another 2 players in. 100k is roughly a 2k a week wage for a year plus would free up his wages. Any more than 100k is a bonus IMHO.

frazeHFC
17-07-2012, 11:20 AM
I do like him but not disappointed at all, hope he goes but does well.

Stevie Reid
17-07-2012, 11:21 AM
Would keep Ozzy :agree:

For those who say he's murder and we don't need him - have you looked at our current squad or actually watched Ozzy play last season ?

For his 1st season last year which he had a few injuries the guy was at times a class above everyone else.

I sometimes despair when we think if we get rid of a player we will bring in a better replacement. Well if you look at the last few years - the reason we are where we are is getting rid of players who weren't as bad as many made out and replaced them with weaker players.

Unless we bring in a suitable replacement before he goes or get a decent fee to bring in 4 or 5 players (CM, Playmaker, x2 Strikers - plus a wide midfielder) keep him.

Yes, I am a season ticket holder and I've seen him have one good game.

He wasn't a class above anyone last year, it was a poor first season.

I despair if people think that we can't get better for his wages.

LeighLoyal
17-07-2012, 11:23 AM
Hope it aint true as I think he's decent and better than what's left probably.

NORTHERNHIBBY
17-07-2012, 11:29 AM

The Vaz Te situation does not apply here. Osbourne should be committed to the team and is not at Easter Road just to get match fit and then work his way to bigger and better things.

GreenCastle
17-07-2012, 11:30 AM
Yes, I am a season ticket holder and I've seen him have one good game.

He wasn't a class above anyone last year, it was a poor first season.

I despair if people think that we can't get better for his wages.

What's his wages and who would you bring in ?

Remember Ozzy didn't just play at ER last season - Hibs do play away from home and being a ST holder like myself doesn't mean our view is 100% spot on :wink::greengrin

If he was poor - not quite sure we can describe some of the other jokers we had playing in green last season :rolleyes:

NorthNorfolkHFC
17-07-2012, 11:35 AM
This is pretty brutal I think.
Our beat midfielder could be off and we will be stuck with Lewis (always a trier with zero end product) Stevenson. Brilliant.
Osborne has presence in the middle, he is athletic and is good on the ball. To lose him in our most fragile area is pretty disastrous!!!

Postman
17-07-2012, 11:37 AM

Totally disagree with this, Hartley did not have a good time at Hibs which is why he moved down a level before he moved back up so you must have been one of very few who thought he was full of potential at that stage in his career. Hindsight is a great thing!

Osbourne wasn't great last season but I still reckon he could be a good player for us so I hope he stays

Cocaine&Caviar
17-07-2012, 11:38 AM
Our beat midfielder could be off and we will be stuck with Lewis (always a trier with zero end product) Stevenson. Brilliant.
Osborne has presence in the middle, he is athletic and is good on the ball. To lose him in our most fragile area is pretty disastrous!!!

Not if it allows us to get a player in that can defensively control the midfield, to assist the more attacking minded Cairney & possibly Shiels

Postman
17-07-2012, 11:39 AM

Agree with all you say, its Stevenson we should be looking to shift not Osbourne.

Only two weeks to find a reoplacement if he goes

Dinkydoo
17-07-2012, 11:40 AM
Not if it allows us to get a player in that can defensively control the midfield, to assist the more attacking minded Cairney & possibly Shiels

Agree.

Can't see Fenlon being happy to let Ozzy go without bringing someone else in - someone better, ideally. :wink:

Stevie Reid
17-07-2012, 11:40 AM
What's his wages and who would you bring in ?

Remember Ozzy didn't just play at ER last season - Hibs do play away from home and being a ST holder like myself doesn't mean our view is 100% spot on :wink::greengrin

If he was poor - not quite sure we can describe some of the other jokers we had playing in green last season :rolleyes:

I am aware of that and already mentioned that I believe that he was very good in two of our away games last season - regardless, not much use having a player who is poor half of the time is it? Not that he was good in every away game anyway. But seeing a player in every home game that he plays for a season is enough of a sample to tell whether they have been good or not.

When he signed I though that he would do really well - he still could - it's just much harder to imagine after seeing him struggle in the worst Hibs team I've ever seen. The 'he would be better if he was surrounded by better players' argument doesn't work; better players should stand out when amongst poorer players (how could any player stand out if that wasn't the case?), and he was surrounded by better players at Aston Villa and didn't make it there.

I would imagine that Ozzy is probably on £1500-£1800 a week, though I don't know - whatever he is on, I believe that we can do better. I'm not saying that we can sign them, but examples of better midfielders in our wage bracket who have played in the SPL recently are: -

Keith Lasley
Steve Jennings
Giles Coke
Jim Goodwin
Jody Morris
Prince Bauben
Margaro Gomis

I could go on.

Descriptions of other players that played for us last year may include very poor, awful, terrible. It's not that hard.

Offside Trap
17-07-2012, 11:41 AM

Neither had Gary Mackay-Steven played regular football until last season. Yet there's a player who has grabbed his opportunity...and who shows commitment, drive and ambition matched to his undoubted skill.

I think we have seen some brief flashes from Ozzy of what he could do...a turn here...a powerful run there....but most of the time he drifts around rather than seeking to dictate...he is typical of the "softness" at Hibs.

If we can get £100k for this guy we should bite their hands off - and if Ian Black is available, much as I disliked him as a Jambo, we could do far worse than sink the proceeds into securing him.

Stevie Reid
17-07-2012, 11:43 AM
Totally disagree with this, Hartley did not have a good time at Hibs which is why he moved down a level before he moved back up so you must have been one of very few who thought he was full of potential at that stage in his career. Hindsight is a great thing!

Osbourne wasn't great last season but I still reckon he could be a good player for us so I hope he stays

Millwall signed Paul Hartley for £400,000 in 1996, in fact his combined transfer fees when arriving with us were £775,000 - so it certainly wasn't just me. His combined fees were nearly a million when he went to St. Johnstone.

Hartley scored 8 goals in 22 starts for Hibs, had a few assists as well (many in the First Division I know, but that was a better team than last year's). He was sold to another SPL team for £200K - he always had potential. It was Billy Stark who turned him into a very good player, realising the potential that was there.

Jim44
17-07-2012, 11:58 AM
The bit in bold....do you mean that you think Osbourne thinks he's too good for us, too good for the SPL, and thats why he doesnt look interested, and why for the most part plays pretty ****? Cos that's how it was with Vaz Te.

The Vaz Te situation does not apply here. Osbourne should be committed to the team and is not at Easter Road just to get match fit and then work his way to bigger and better things.

I don't think he thinks he's too good for us. I meant that I didn't want to see a good player slip through our fingers but as NH points out the comparison with Vaz Te is not really appropriate. I still want to see Osbourne start the season with us rather than regret losing him and seeing him come good with another team.

GreenCastle
17-07-2012, 11:59 AM
I am aware of that and already mentioned that I believe that he was very good in two of our away games last season - regardless, not much use having a player who is poor half of the time is it? Not that he was good in every away game anyway. But seeing a player in every home game that he plays for a season is enough of a sample to tell whether they have been good or not.

When he signed I though that he would do really well - he still could - it's just much harder to imagine after seeing him struggle in the worst Hibs team I've ever seen. The 'he would be better if he was surrounded by better players' argument doesn't work; better players should stand out when amongst poorer players (how could any player stand out if that wasn't the case?), and he was surrounded by better players at Aston Villa and didn't make it there.

I would imagine that Ozzy is probably on £1500-£1800 a week, though I don't know - whatever he is on, I believe that we can do better. I'm not saying that we can sign them, but examples of better midfielders in our wage bracket who have played in the SPL recently are: -

Keith Lasley
Steve Jennings
Giles Coke
Jim Goodwin
Jody Morris
Prince Bauben
Margaro Gomis

I could go on.

Descriptions of other players that played for us last year may include very poor, awful, terrible. It's not that hard.

Fair enough - our opinions differ. I think Ozzy still has a part to play and would keep him.

The players you mention I agree would all do a job for us - but my point is sadly they won't come to us for money or other reasons - Goodwin being an example. So we have to be careful what we ship out as the replacements we bring in have shown in the last few years they don't seem to be an improvement = Hibs finishing 11th / 10th etc.

There are other players in the squad - Galbriath, O' Hanlon I would get rid of and clear a wage before Ozzy.

Regarding better with better players argument does work - would Messi be better at ER with jokers around him or playing for Barcelona with great players around him giving him a decent pass etc. Of course better players stand out amongst others and that's why I would keep Ozzy - he was never going to be good enough to play every week at Villa so that's why they let him go.

loanheadhibby
17-07-2012, 12:02 PM
:pray: He's murder.

correct, he was dominated in the cup final and his heart is the size of a midge's t^t. Think I seen him have one decent half away to dunfermline.

If he needs a lift down....

Stevie Reid
17-07-2012, 12:03 PM
Fair enough - our opinions differ. I think Ozzy still has a part to play and would keep him.

The players you mention I agree would all do a job for us - but my point is sadly they won't come to us for money or other reasons - Goodwin being an example. So we have to be careful what we ship out as the replacements we bring in have shown in the last few years they don't seem to be an improvement = Hibs finishing 11th / 10th etc.

There are other players in the squad - Galbriath, O' Hanlon I would get rid of and clear a wage before Ozzy.

Regarding better with better players argument does work - would Messi be better at ER with jokers around him or playing for Barcelona with great players around him giving him a decent pass etc. Of course better players stand out amongst others and that's why I would keep Ozzy - he was never going to be good enough to play every week at Villa so that's why they let him go.

Well actually they don't that much - I've said along that I could still imagine Ozzy being good for us. What I will not accept is that he has been good for us. I wholeheartedly agree that others should be going before him, in fact before I heard about this I didn't think for one second about getting shot of Osbourne - but if someone is willing to part with decent money for him, I would be happy for us to take a chance (and it would be a chance) elsewhere.

I did mention that those players weren't transfer targets, just examples of what can be available.

He may be better with better players around him, but he didn't stand out amongst poor players, which doesn't bode well.

NorthNorfolkHFC
17-07-2012, 12:04 PM

Yes, I'd be looking to offload Stevenson, o'hanlon, Galbraith at the minimum. Surely that will free up a wage and allow us to sign somebody.
Letting Ozzy go is a big mistake. Our midfield is brutal as it is without losing the best of a bad bunch.

SMAXXA
17-07-2012, 12:09 PM
Cash for Ozzy to get Deano in id say go for it!

I agree hes probably the best of a bad lot in our midfield, for me he has all the attributes to be a really good player minus 1 crutial component......................................... ....Bottle!!!!!

He never turns up to the big games and when your looking around your team when the going gets tough he is a shrinking violet IMO

GreenCastle
17-07-2012, 12:09 PM
Well actually they don't that much - I've said along that I could still imagine Ozzy being good for us. What I will not accept is that he has been good for us. I wholeheartedly agree that others should be going before him, in fact before I heard about this I didn't think for one second about getting shot of Osbourne - but if someone is willing to part with decent money for him, I would take it.

I did mention that those players weren't transfer targets, just examples of what can be available.

Osbourne doesn't stand out though, even in a terrible Hibs team - he may be better with better players around him, but he didn't stand out amongst poor players, which doesn't bode well.

My original question was who would you bring in for Ozzy ? That's the list you should give me...we all know whose out there but who will Hibs have a chance of getting. :wink:

We didn't think Zemmama was good enough - we are now crying out for a playmaker. Be careful what we wish for.

The part I agree with is the decent money part -but again suitable replacements must be found otherwise we are going to be even worse than last season this year.

loanheadhibby
17-07-2012, 12:15 PM
My original question was who would you bring in for Ozzy ? That's the list you should give me...we all know whose out there but who will Hibs have a chance of getting. :wink:

We didn't think Zemmama was good enough - we are now crying out for a playmaker. Be careful what we wish for.

The part I agree with is the decent money part -but again suitable replacements must be found otherwise we are going to be even worse than last season this year.

Ian Black (even tho he is an ex ****bo). 10 times the player ozzie was and he would have a point to prove against the tramps.

Cocaine&Caviar
17-07-2012, 12:15 PM

Was this ever the case???

scoopyboy
17-07-2012, 12:16 PM

In the SPL?

Not that I remember, he did well in Division One but was crap in the SPL.

Stevie Reid
17-07-2012, 12:16 PM

Why should I?! It's not my job to know the transfer market inside and out, I'd never heard of Osbourne before he signed - I'd never heard of most of that list before they joined the SPL - hence the reason I gave you examples, not targets. Not being able to identify specific targets doesn't mean that I don't have an argument, and it certainly doesn't magically turn Osbourne into a successful signing thus far.

As a supporter, alll I can do is pass my judgement on what I've seen, and from that I very much believe that we can get a player who will perform better more regularly than Osbourne has for us.

With regards to Zemmama, who's "we" btw? I posted the other day how sore it was that he went on loan for the 2008-09 season when we had Fletch and Riordan up front. Zemmama was the kind of signing that only comes along once in a very long time (ability wise) - Osbourne is not.

Stevie Reid
17-07-2012, 12:18 PM
In the SPL?

Not that I remember, he did well in Division One but was crap in the SPL.

No, I've clarified that most of his good work was in the First - but in a better Hibs team than Osbourne was in last year.

I've covered all I need to cover re: Hartley in numerous posts already.

scoopyboy
17-07-2012, 12:22 PM
No, I've clarified that most of his good work was in the First - but in a better Hibs team than Osbourne was in last year.

I've covered all I need to cover re: Hartley in numerous posts already.

Forgive me, I hadn't read all your posts re Hartley.

Don't follow your logic though if you are conceding Hartley wasn't good in a decent SPL Hibs team yet Osbourne wasn't great in a poor Hibs team.

To me its easier to shine in a good team than in a poor team.

Judas Iscariot
17-07-2012, 12:25 PM
Meh

Never seen him have a good game tbh, outplayed by every midfielder last season in the SPL, couldn't even get POTY for us even though he played just about more games than anyone else in that god awful rotten side...

If we make cash on the deal and sign a player or 2 that's going to do better than him then why not?!

Just shows how pish we were last season and how badly we're needing players that some one here think Osbourne leaving is a big loss...

Beefster
17-07-2012, 12:26 PM

So we should hold onto under-performing players, just in case they suddenly 'realise their potential' at some point before they retire? Sounds cost-effective.

Beefster
17-07-2012, 12:28 PM

Don't follow your logic though if you are conceding Hartley wasn't good in a decent SPL Hibs team yet Osbourne wasn't great in a poor Hibs team.

Mediocre in last season's side would make a player one of our best. Mediocre in the McLeish side would be made a player the worst.

Stevie Reid
17-07-2012, 12:29 PM

Firstly, I didn't bring Hartley into this argument - Wotherspooniesta mentioned him as he was the same age as Osbourne is now when we sold him.

This is football, so logic doesn't really apply - but I think that a truly good player should stand out in a poor team.

LancsHibs
17-07-2012, 12:31 PM
Osborne has signed for Blackpool according to somebody on fansonline Blackpool forum (sorry cant do links). Blackpool fans don't seem impressed

GreenCastle
17-07-2012, 12:32 PM
Ian Black (even tho he is an ex ****bo). 10 times the player ozzie was and he would have a point to prove against the tramps.

Black - another unrealistic target. He doesn't have a point to prove at all - he showed he was good enough for them and especially against us.

I agree he ran the midfield every time we played them and makes it worse even Black is limited but like Hartley was a big fish in a small pond (SPL).

Judas Iscariot
17-07-2012, 12:33 PM
Osborne has signed for Blackpool according to somebody on fansonline Blackpool forum (sorry cant do links). Blackpool fans don't seem impressed

Nae wonder :faf:

AllyT
17-07-2012, 12:34 PM

http://fansonline.net/blackpool/mb/view.php?id=1163752

truehibernian
17-07-2012, 12:36 PM
Black - another unrealistic target. He doesn't have a point to prove at all - he showed he was good enough for them and especially against us.

I agree he ran the midfield every time we played them and makes it worse even Black is limited but like Hartley was a big fish in a small pond (SPL).

Intrigued to know what makes Black ' limited' ? Sadly I had to watch some of Hearts' games due to work commitments last season and for me he'd have easily been in any SPL midfield select (for me). The boy is a very underrated and talented footballer. More skilful than most fans give credit for.

Completely dominated and influenced every single derby he played in, to our cost. I'd have him at Hibernian in a flash.

Paisley Hibby
17-07-2012, 12:43 PM
Intrigued to know what makes Black ' limited' ? Sadly I had to watch some of Hearts' games due to work commitments last season and for me he'd have easily been in any SPL midfield select (for me). The boy is a very underrated and talented footballer. More skilful than most fans give credit for.

Completely dominated and influenced every single derby he played in, to our cost. I'd have him at Hibernian in a flash.

Me too.:agree:

Speedway
17-07-2012, 12:45 PM
On paper, Ozzy has one of the strongest pedigrees of our squad.

In reality, when the time has come to prove it, his performances have been poor.

If this gives us the ability to strengthen, we should go for it. We can't offload the crap first because there are no takers. I wouldn't pick any of our midfield from last season by choice, so if this means we can get a couple in, then bye-bye Ozvaldo.

Judas Iscariot
17-07-2012, 12:45 PM

That's more to do with our utterly pish midfield over the last few years than it has to do with Black being all that good...

GreenCastle
17-07-2012, 12:49 PM

Limited in world football sense - he would struggle to play in many Championship teams in England -Hartley struggled down south also and came back up here.

If you read my post again I admit Black dominated against us throughout the season - I think Skacel is a better all round footballer than Black but Black seemed to do the dirty work - something Hibs have missed for a while.

Looking at our line up for next season - we are still miles away from what we need - from the last game against East Fife - we have brought in some players but still need more quality.

Williams
Clancy
Hanlon
Stevens
McPake
Stevenson
Cairney
Claros
Wotherspoon
Sproule
Doyle

truehibernian
17-07-2012, 12:51 PM
That's more to do with our utterly pish midfield over the last few years than it has to do with Black being all that good...

I disagree mate. He easily matched up against Brown and Davis in OF games. In fact he carried what I saw as a poor Hearts midfield. Hibs midfield has been not only poor, but critically unbalanced since we lost Boozy, Stewart, Thommo and Brown. None have been properly replaced. That's the kind of midfield we should be looking to replicate.

S.sct
17-07-2012, 12:52 PM
One of the loosers from the SC final, bye bye........

Macaroon
17-07-2012, 12:54 PM
impressed in the centre of the park.

I must have missed the memo.

Macaroon
17-07-2012, 12:59 PM
Cash for Ozzy to get Deano in id say go for it!

I agree hes probably the best of a bad lot in our midfield, for me he has all the attributes to be a really good player minus 1 crutial component......................................... ....Bottle!!!!!

He never turns up to the big games and when your looking around your team when the going gets tough he is a shrinking violet IMO

Agree with all your points about Ozzy, not good enough in my opinion.

However, as for Deano, I would be DELIGHTED if we could get him in, beyond delighted. He is exactly the linking player in attack that we have been crying out for. Unfortunately though, from what I have heard it seems that he has no interest in talking to us and we have already been in for him once or twice already. Would be fantastic if Fenlon could pull it off but seems to be a lost cause now.

J-C
17-07-2012, 01:00 PM
I honestly can't see PF allowing Ozzy to leave without having someone in place to step in.

Andy74
17-07-2012, 01:05 PM
I honestly can't see PF allowing Ozzy to leave without having someone in place to step in.

In an ideal world. However I think if anyone actively comes in for any of our players he will be delighted to get rid and then make do until he can make a move.

J-C
17-07-2012, 01:07 PM
In an ideal world. However I think if anyone actively comes in for any of our players he will be delighted to get rid and then make do until he can make a move.

True but we need his wages and any cash from transfer to help PF in the market.

Wotherspiniesta
17-07-2012, 01:11 PM
So we should hold onto under-performing players, just in case they suddenly 'realise their potential' at some point before they retire? Sounds cost-effective.

Not what I was saying.

I was just giving an example of a player we let go and has done really well for another club.

Hartley's not the only one aswell..

--------
17-07-2012, 01:11 PM

:agree: If we can get enough for Osbourne to tempt Black to sign, I'd go for it.

And he's exactly the sort of player who wins space for other players to play.

JHFC
17-07-2012, 01:33 PM
'@NPChampionship_ Blackpool complete the signing of Isaiah Osbourne from Hibernian for an undisclosed fee.*#bfc'

Liam_Hibs
17-07-2012, 01:42 PM
I'd imagine that if we do sell him, then Pat would surely have a replacement in mind? As long as this is the case, then I'm not to bothered about him leaving.

Andy74
17-07-2012, 01:43 PM
And if it's Osbourne out and Mark Kerr in?

scoopyboy
17-07-2012, 01:50 PM
Firstly, I didn't bring Hartley into this argument - Wotherspooniesta mentioned him as he was the same age as Osbourne is now when we sold him.

Neither did I:greengrin

This is football, so logic doesn't really apply - but I think that a truly good player should stand out in a poor team.

Agreed.

Stevie Reid
17-07-2012, 01:51 PM

Neither did I:greengrin

Agreed.

Fair dos :greengrin

Cabbage East
17-07-2012, 02:01 PM
Not bothered at all if he goes, hasn't shown enough and has definitely had the opportunites.

Stevie Reid
17-07-2012, 02:01 PM

I wouldn't exactly be over the moon, but I could live with it.

Kerr offers bite and has the nasty streak that our midfield has lacked.

I don't think we'd be any worse off.

Hibiza
17-07-2012, 02:33 PM
Cheerio, bog standard. funds in for some decent player. :flag:

Devine
17-07-2012, 02:35 PM
If theres even a sniff of getting a few quid for Ozzy then we should be biting their hand off. The key difference to the Vaz Te situation is that Ozzy has had a full season playing week in week out and has been in the vast majority of games, absolutely dreadful. Yes he played well in a couple of games Dunfermline away sticks in my mind but thats simply not good enough and we should stop clinging onto the hopes that players who turn in a performance now and again will magically start doing it all the time. Hes had his chance and has been a big part of the most shambolic Hibs midfield in recent years, so cya it didnt work out and you didnt put in the shift we required

easty
17-07-2012, 02:44 PM

I suppose then it'd be a case of bringing in someone who doesnt do much, to replace someone who didnt do much. But we'd save a bit on wages. I dont think that Kerr in and Osbourne out would make us any worse to be honest.

Macaroon
17-07-2012, 02:46 PM
I suppose then it'd be a case of bringing in someone who doesnt do much, to replace someone who didnt do much. But we'd save a bit on wages. I dont think that Kerr in and Osbourne out would make us any worse to be honest.

No getting any better though. Where we are now isn't exactly warm and cosy

Mikey
17-07-2012, 02:47 PM
'@NPChampionship_ Blackpool complete the signing of Isaiah Osbourne from Hibernian for an undisclosed fee.*#bfc'

Nowt on Blackpool's site.

I wouldn't recommend checking it out, the colour gave me a headache!!

lord bunberry
17-07-2012, 02:56 PM

I just saw it on ssn it says he signed for an undisclosed fee

SMAXXA
17-07-2012, 02:58 PM

Wrong and Wrong, wee Blackie doesnt have any point to prove with Hearts he left on decent terms with a full appreciation of both sides as to why he wouldnt be signing again. FWIW he said he had spoken to Hibs about 4-5 weeks ago and we couldnt afford his wages.

yeezus.
17-07-2012, 02:59 PM
He wouldn't be a loss at all, because he doesn't do anything. Poor player.

:agree: not seen anything special from him, not surprised - I wanted him to be part of the clearout.

Andy74
17-07-2012, 03:00 PM
I hope we've 2 or 3 quality players to come in.

We weren't great at the end of last year and we've lost some players who might have been at the better end of what we had in O'Connor, Griffiths, Doherty, Soares and Osbourne in particular.

Just now we have Clancy and Cairney to balance those.

Williams is possibly better than Stack though as well, but we'll see.

Mikey
17-07-2012, 03:01 PM
I just saw it on ssn it says he signed for an undisclosed fee

:aok:

When Rod negotiates the next SPL TV deal do you think it'll be for an undisclosed amount? :greengrin

Jim44
17-07-2012, 03:01 PM

I wonder if he flew out with the squad this morning. If a transfer was in the offing, I don't think he would have travelled. No doubt there'll be someone who just happened to be passing the departure gate as they boarded the plane who'll let us know. :rolleyes:

Stevie Reid
17-07-2012, 03:07 PM
No getting any better though. Where we are now isn't exactly warm and cosy

We'll see. Mark Kerr is a ball winner who can retain possession and has a bit of a dirty/nasty streak to him - he is at a good age and has played in good Dundee Utd and Aberdeen teams (he also played in a very bad Aberdeen team too though).

IF this is what we do, it could be a good move. Time will tell on both fronts.

Wouldn't be very exciting though.

Stantons Angel
17-07-2012, 03:15 PM

I have to agree with you here.

Osborne does have the talent but is so very slow in releasing the ball to others, when a quicker response may have made room for a shot on goal at least.
Never the less i do believe he is talented and does need a ball winner in their with him along with someone to carry the ball forward.

SSN may just be stirring it here, just like our Sun newspaper does but if not it would seem that because of the Newco fiasco English clubs now think they can come over the border and raid Scottish clubs of their better players.

It will be interesting in how this all pans out before the start of the season.

I for one will be glad when it all settles down and we can get on with the football. (if it ever does!)

GGTTH

SteveHFC
17-07-2012, 03:17 PM
We must get a replacement for him!

Thecat23
17-07-2012, 03:20 PM
I honestly think we're going to struggle this year. No idea if he wanted to go but whatever the fee i hope Fenlon gets it to replace him. Our squad is so thin just now we will be lucky if we're not bottom after a few games. Injuries and suspensions could cripple us if we don't add at least 6 or 7 players.

If people ask where are Hibs getting this money from, how about the money freed up by all the folk who left and the cup run. Sick to death hearing that same old "but where will the money come from" line. I'm not asking for Messi just a player that can play in Defence/Midfield/Striker. If we do not add to this squad by the kick off we will never make it past 10th again.

Andy74
17-07-2012, 03:32 PM
I honestly think we're going to struggle this year. No idea if he wanted to go but whatever the fee i hope Fenlon gets it to replace him. Our squad is so thin just now we will be lucky if we're not bottom after a few games. Injuries and suspensions could cripple us if we don't add at least 6 or 7 players.

If people ask where are Hibs getting this money from, how about the money freed up by all the folk who left and the cup run. Sick to death hearing that same old "but where will the money come from" line. I'm not asking for Messi just a player that can play in Defence/Midfield/Striker. If we do not add to this squad by the kick off we will never make it past 10th again.

We are leaving ourselves with a lot to do.

For me what we've done so far is close some gaps left by those who have gone but not by much and haven't really started making any big improvements.

Doherty might have been an idiot but was a decent defender. Clancy may be as good.

Cairney might be better than Soares for us?

Williams is possibly better than Stack?

Then we may have lost Osbourne, O'Connor, Griffiths, Brown and Francombe who all played regularly.

We finished 11th with all those and we haven't got better than them in as yet.

Steve20
17-07-2012, 03:36 PM
Under three weeks until the season starts and we are so short of players. We have one first team striker, still too lightweight a midfield and no decent width.

Unless there is about 4-5 players coming in soon, then it'll be another relegation battle.

hibsbollah
17-07-2012, 03:36 PM
I liked Osborne for the composure he showed on the ball in the first half of the season, but was disappointed in how he drifted out of games in the second half of the season. So im torn.

But a good midfield is a blend of different talents, and we already had two similar 'tidy, positionally aware, sit in front of the back four' types in Claros and Stevenson (plus one of the no ****ing use tae man nor beast' types in Soares) so in that respect im glad we've reshuffled it. In Cairney/Lewis/Claros/AN Other we trust?

Stevie Reid
17-07-2012, 03:37 PM

For me what we've done so far is close some gaps left by those who have gone but not by much and haven't really started making any big improvements.

Doherty might have been an idiot but was a decent defender. Clancy may be as good.

Then we may have lost Osbourne, O'Connor, Griffiths, Brown and Francombe who all played regularly.

FWIW, Williams has played four times as many games than Stack had when he signed, and as such we have a much better idea of how good he is. No guarantee of success but I don't think we could get much better on paper.

Ozyhibby
17-07-2012, 03:38 PM
Getting money for Osbourne is a great bit of business. Do the deal Hibs.

LeighLoyal
17-07-2012, 03:40 PM
How about Ian Black as replacement? Once the penny drops on the zombie hun contract.

Paisley Hibby
17-07-2012, 03:42 PM

This is my worry. I know it was only a pre-season run out on Saturday but we looked so much better when Osbourne came on to replace Claros in midfield. Osbourne's not great but he's better than what we are left with. So we surely must be looking to sign someone else for midfield?

Wotherspiniesta
17-07-2012, 03:47 PM
Brilliant.

Last year we apparently had the worst midfield in the league.

How do we solve that? Selling our best midfielder.

Only Hibs.

SteveHFC
17-07-2012, 03:48 PM
Brilliant.

Lasy year we apparently had the worst midfield in the league.

Only Hibs.

:agree:

Jim44
17-07-2012, 03:53 PM
Brilliant.

Lasy year we apparently had the worst midfield in the league.

Only Hibs.

Unless Fenlon brings in someone significantly better than Osbourne, I fear he has made a massive mistake.

Mark79
17-07-2012, 03:55 PM
Whats the point of a pre season with barely a complete team and the possible sale of one of those? We then go out and make several signings with no pre season done. Thought we would be better prepared after last seasons farce and knowing how many loanees were leaving.

Stevie Reid
17-07-2012, 03:56 PM
Good bit of business, regardless of how well he does down there.

c31
17-07-2012, 03:56 PM
Another of the cup final embarrassments away - good.....

How many left to get rid off?

GreenCastle
17-07-2012, 04:00 PM

The players we have brought in should do well - Williams and McPake are key but we are still miles away from where we should be - just think of the goals GOC and LG scored.

The team that started the final would beat our current team and that is my worry - I remain patient but I really hope the manager and club know what they are doing with bringing players in.

Many players needed replaced - McPake only Hibs player in the final who came out with any sort of credit.

Can we stop the Black to Hibs talk as it's not going to happen!

Weir7
17-07-2012, 04:00 PM
Brilliant.

Only Hibs.
When did he become our best midfielder? For me hez a lazy wage thief. Billy big time who things hez better than he is

Emerald
17-07-2012, 04:03 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about this. If we had signed a couple of good midfielders and then moved Ozzy on, I would be in agreement. However, this isn't an option these days as we need to get rid of players before we can bring more in. I think Ozzy is a good player but I agree with other posters that he was too slow in releasing the ball and he only played in fits and starts. We need to see much more from players throughout the whole match. If he isn't replaced by someone better, then I would rather we had kept him.

I think the club is seriously short of money and I dont think many more players will be signed, something we will have to get used to going forward, as will all the others.

NorthNorfolkHFC
17-07-2012, 04:03 PM
Brutal. What a crap season we are in for!!!!
Gutted

BEEJ
17-07-2012, 04:05 PM
Hmmm. One of the last players I would have wnated to see move on from the club and many more ahead of him in that queue. However, he probably wanted away.

:agree: At ER he has seldom lived up to his pedigree and potential. But like others before him, I think we'll see a different player when he appears in the Championship - leaving us all once again to debate the reasons why so many players underperform at our club and go on to do better things.

I could go either way on this one - I think he clearly has some great attributes and is probably one of our best players, in theory.

However, he hasn't really been a huges success as yet, but maybe that's been due to being played in the wrong position sometimes and not having players around him that know what they are doing.

SSN may just be stirring it here, just like our Sun newspaper does but if not it would seem that because of the Newco fiasco English clubs now think they can come over the border and raid Scottish clubs of their better players.

It will be interesting in how this all pans out before the start of the season.
:agree: I wondered about that too. Maybe SPL players under contract are openly asking their agents to seek out new opportunities south of the border?

I've been trying to adopt the laid-back "it'll be alright on the night" attitude. But now that we have
moved beyond the mid-point of July AND we're seeing the existing gaps compounded by players such as Ozzy leaving, I confess I'm getting a bit concerned.

Wotherspiniesta
17-07-2012, 04:06 PM
When did he become our best midfielder? For me hez a lazy wage thief. Billy big time who things hez better than he is

Pish

Who would you say was our best midfielder last season?

Hibercelona
17-07-2012, 04:08 PM
Pish

Who would you say was our best midfielder last season?

I never realized we had any midfielders last season.

sundo1875
17-07-2012, 04:09 PM
Did Ozzy travel to Holland?

Mikey
17-07-2012, 04:09 PM
Pish

Is there really any need for that? Can't you raise the level of debate a touch higher?

Wotherspiniesta
17-07-2012, 04:10 PM
Is there really any need for that? Can't you raise the level of debate a touch higher?

Ok.

Pish, IMO.

EdinMike
17-07-2012, 04:13 PM
At least he's not in the "He'll come back to haunt us" category..

blackpoolhibs
17-07-2012, 04:13 PM

Come on Andy, the season does not start for ages, have a bit of patience. :agree:

MrSmith
17-07-2012, 04:14 PM
The only thing I wanted was the 'new' team get a proper pre-season! Yet again we will be scrambling around and I fear it will cost us again. Not worried about Ozzy leaving though, good luck to him.

Wotherspiniesta
17-07-2012, 04:17 PM
At least he's not in the "He'll come back to haunt us" category..

No, because he's more likely to be playing in the premiership.

AlbertK86
17-07-2012, 04:18 PM
Brilliant.

Only Hibs.

Correct. Liam Miller all over again.

Ozzy wasn't brilliant but our best midfielder by a country mile.

Aye all these folk who said

Dinnae worry about no early signings we'll be sorted by pre-season

Look a bit daft now.

That will be 16 gone and 4 in

That said happy to go with kids in current financial climate BUT we will definitely need a big presence brought into replace Ozzy.

Would have been happy to lose all other of last years midfield other than Ozzy and Claros

blackpoolhibs
17-07-2012, 04:18 PM
No, because he's more likely to be playing in the premiership.

If he's signed for Blackpool, they have more chance of playing in the 1st division than the Premiership.

Www1875hfc
17-07-2012, 04:21 PM
Fenlon knows what he's doing.
You wouldnt think that he would get rid of a midfielder and not have someone else in mind?

If he's needing a lift down,just gimme a shout,ah'll even pay the fuel masell.

lucky
17-07-2012, 04:23 PM
Cant say I that fussed. He rarely played that well or dominated a game. Depending on the amount it might help us bring in another couple of players

Cocaine&Caviar
17-07-2012, 04:24 PM
Williams

Clancy
McPake
Hanlon
Booth/Smith

*DEF MID*
*Shiels*
Cairney

*Griffiths*
*STRIKER*
*WINGER*

& Im happy.

Steve20
17-07-2012, 04:26 PM
You wouldnt think that he would get rid of a midfielder and not have someone else in mind?

I know, just like the replacements he has brought in for O'Connor and Griffiths.

Www1875hfc
17-07-2012, 04:29 PM
I know, just like the replacements he has brought in for O'Connor and Griffiths.

And do you honestly believe he will go with what we currently have at this moment in time?

Others will arrive.

Emerald
17-07-2012, 04:29 PM
]Fenlon knows what he's doing.
[/U]You wouldnt think that he would get rid of a midfielder and not have someone else in mind?

I'm yet to be convinced about that. :dunno:

AlbertK86
17-07-2012, 04:30 PM

Might have somebody in mind but

1. Are they willing to come to us
2. Will the board release the necessary funds

SneakersO'Toole
17-07-2012, 04:30 PM
If we sign Black off the back of selling Ozzy then its a brilliant swap.

Ozzy is decent but him, Claros and Stevenson are too similar.

Lets not also forget the fact that the club are in no position to be turning money down for anyone.

SneakersO'Toole
17-07-2012, 04:31 PM
Williams

Clancy
McPake
Hanlon
Booth/Smith

*DEF MID*
*Shiels*
Cairney

*Griffiths*
*STRIKER*
*WINGER*

& Im happy.

Good luck with that.

500miles
17-07-2012, 04:32 PM
I think that Ozzy is potentially an excellent player. He doesn't, however, dominate a midfield battle. He is the man you want to have time on the ball, and to get into attacking positions. I think Fenlon believes that we, first and foremost, need to become dominant in the centre so that ANY midfielder, particularly creative ones, can make use of thier talents. I wouldn't be suprised if Ozzy's departure signals the arrival of a more dominant player, to give the likes of Cairney and Stanton the chance to shine.

If we had Osbourne when we had Brown and Thomson, he would have been a pleasure to watch. But we can't give him a platform, and therefore, he can't give us a return. We need to build from the ground up.

HibbyAndy
17-07-2012, 04:34 PM
And do you honestly believe he will go with what we currently have at this moment in time?

Others will arrive.

Wullie, Alright mate, You heard anything about Deano coming back?.

Steve20
17-07-2012, 04:38 PM

Others will arrive.

The majority should have been in before most of the friendlies. We are away on our wee tour, so I'd expect no one announced before we're back. And we need more than 1 or 2 players still to come in.

I fully expect us to scramble around for loans and players no one else wants near the end of August.

AlbertK86
17-07-2012, 04:43 PM
The majority should have been in before most of the friendlies. We are away on our wee tour, so I'd expect no one announced before we're back. And we need more than 1 or 2 players still to come in.

I fully expect us to scramble around for loans and players no one else wants near the end of August.

As usual

Part/Time Supporter
17-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Brilliant.

Only Hibs.

Really? What are you basing that on?

Osbourne scored one goal all season (Motherwell away) and had another one deflected in by a United player. He created, what, a handful?

Even the much-maligned Tom Soares scored two goals in a game against Killie, hit the underside of the bar against Motherwell and set up the only Hibs goal in the cup final. All in less than half the appearances of Osbourne.

On the assumption that he is/was one of the higher paid players, his contribution was poor.

Scooter
17-07-2012, 04:52 PM
This is a shocker. 1. Stevenson and claros are not simelar he's a more forwards thinking player that can play deeper if needed. Bringing in black would be of simelar mould to those two
2. Forget shiels it aint gonna happen.

BEEJ
17-07-2012, 04:58 PM
That will be 16 gone and 4 in
I make it just 14 gone.

But I've heard PF state on a couple of occasions before today that we've seen "14 or 15 leave" so far this summer. I don't see where he's getting that figure from. Including Osbourne the list is:

Summer 2012 (Players Out)
Isaiah Osbourne
Martin Scott (season long loan)
Garry O'Connor
Graham Stack
Matt Doherty
Roy O'Donovan
Tom Soares
James McPake (subsequently re-signed)
George Francomb
Leigh Griffiths
Richie Towell
Sean Welsh
Scott Taggart
Ian Murray

Just 14. Who else has left? :confused:

Emerald
17-07-2012, 05:02 PM
I make it just 14 gone.

But I've heard PF state on a couple of occasions before today that we've seen "14 or 15 leave" so far this summer. I don't see where he's getting that figure from. Including Osbourne the list is:

Isaiah Osbourne
Garry O'Connor
Graham Stack
Matt Doherty
Roy O'Donovan
Tom Soares
George Francomb
Leigh Griffiths
Richie Towell
Sean Welsh
Scott Taggart
Ian Murray

Maybe including Brown???

Billy Whizz
17-07-2012, 05:04 PM
I make it just 14 gone.

Isaiah Osbourne
Garry O'Connor
Graham Stack
Matt Doherty
Roy O'Donovan
Tom Soares
George Francomb
Leigh Griffiths
Richie Towell
Sean Welsh
Scott Taggart
Ian Murray

Lewis Horner?

AlbertK86
17-07-2012, 05:09 PM
I make it just 14 gone.

Isaiah Osbourne
Garry O'Connor
Graham Stack
Matt Doherty
Roy O'Donovan
Tom Soares
James McPake (subsequently re-signeUd)
George Francomb
Leigh Griffiths
Richie Towell
Sean Welsh
Scott Taggart
Ian Murray

Mark Brown - contract finished
Did Horner not go to Morton

Even if was only fourteen still a big difference to squad

My real point however was how poor our midfield is and even worse if Ozzy is confirmed as going

BEEJ
17-07-2012, 05:17 PM
Maybe including Brown???

Lewis Horner?

Mark Brown - contract finished. Did Horner not go to Morton
When PF made this statement, Brown was still training at East Mains with, apparently, a contract offer from the club to consider. He was also still listed on the squad page of the official site (yeah, not the best source to go on :greengrin). So definitely out of contract but not quite gone.

Horner was listed among the subs at the first U-20s pre-season match last week. So I thought he was still around as well.

Even if was only fourteen still a big difference to squad

My real point however was how poor our midfield is and even worse if Ozzy is confirmed as going
:agree: I agree, it doesn't change your argument one bit. I was just trying to reconcile the numbers quoted with what I understood to be the position. :wink:

AlbertK86
17-07-2012, 05:24 PM
When PF made this statement, Brown was still training at East Mains with, apparently, a contract offer from the club to consider. He was also still listed on the squad page of the official site (yeah, not the best source to go on :greengrin). So definitely out of contract but not quite gone.

Horner was listed among the subs at the first U-20s pre-season match last week. So I thought he was still around as well.

:agree: I agree, it doesn't change your argument one bit. I was just trying to reconcile the numbers quoted with what I understood to be the position. :wink:

Nae bother Beej

RickyS
17-07-2012, 05:29 PM
Really? What are you basing that on?

Osbourne scored one goal all season (Motherwell away) and had another one deflected in by a United player. He created, what, a handful?

Even the much-maligned Tom Soares scored two goals in a game against Killie, hit the underside of the bar against Motherwell and set up the only Hibs goal in the cup final. All in less than half the appearances of Osbourne.

On the assumption that he is/was one of the higher paid players, his contribution was poor.

spot on, if blackpool wanted they could pick any 3 from our bargain bucket for a packet of bon bons

BEEJ
17-07-2012, 05:30 PM
Nae bothe Beej

I understand that it's Scott Taggart that Morton are trying to sign.

cabbageandribs1875
17-07-2012, 05:33 PM

already signed

Hibeescott
17-07-2012, 05:52 PM
I always thought Ozzy had a lot more ability than he showed most of the time. He showed glimpses of an ability to play at a much higher level than us. I think that if you put him in a team of better players then he could be an excellent player. The bottom line is, a top championship club wouldnt be signing him if he was garbage. I do however feel that he maybe doesnt quite fit into the hard working ethos that Fenlon wants to adopt, didnt look too bothered half the time last year. But I just think thats his style, similar to Berbatov for example.

Regardless if folk think he has lived up to potential or not, as has been stated previously, he is certainly the only midfielder we have (had) who is above what 5 ft 8? He is IMO our best midfielder. If folk think stevenson, ivan, spoony, claros are better players then they are watching a different game from me.

Captain Trips
17-07-2012, 06:01 PM
Williams

Clancy
McPake
Hanlon
Booth/Smith

*DEF MID*
*Shiels*
Cairney

*Griffiths*
*STRIKER*
*WINGER*

& Im happy.

What about the at least 4/5 players needed on top of that to come in for injuries. Hibs are 7+ players short.

NAE NOOKIE
17-07-2012, 06:09 PM
Not bothered if Ozzy is gone .... good luck to him, if he does have the ability to be a better player ( got ma doubts ) he was never going to show it in that Hibs team.

However .... he was another member of the plodder squad like G.O'C who lumbered about the pitch with no drive or injection of pace. Not sorry to see these guys go ... perhaps PF is looking for a team who can up the pace of a game, which cant be bad.

Andy74
17-07-2012, 06:17 PM
Come on Andy, the season does not start for ages, have a bit of patience. :agree:

I'm wavering mate. Wavering!

DH1875
17-07-2012, 06:22 PM
Brilliant.

Only Hibs.

I'll have a bit of whatever it is your smoking. Pass the dutchie my good man :smokin.

As for playing in the Premiership, Aye right :rotflmao:.

AlbertK86
17-07-2012, 06:23 PM
I'll have a bit of whatever it is your smocking. Pass the dutchie my good man :smokin.

Who was better ?

patlowe
17-07-2012, 06:31 PM
I'll be sad to see Osbourne go as I genuinely believe he has the potential to be a great driving midfielder. However, he didn't show it enough and we are certainly not in a financial position to be turning away a good offer in the hope he will find consistency.

SMAXXA
17-07-2012, 06:35 PM

So what your saying is you ken f all lol

:-)

blackpoolhibs
17-07-2012, 06:36 PM
I'll have a bit of whatever it is your smocking. Pass the dutchie my good man :smokin.

Blackpool got to the Premiership with Charlie Adams, David Vaughn Taylor Fletcher and Keith Southern, all twice the players O'sbourne will ever be.

Blackpool are only going one way now, and it aint up.

DH1875
17-07-2012, 06:36 PM
Who was better ?

I'd have rather kept Soares over him AND that's saying something. Stevenson, Claros, Booth, Ivan, Kujabi, Spoony and Cairney would all get a game before him IMO.

AlbertK86
17-07-2012, 06:44 PM
I'd have rather kept Soares over him AND that's saying something. Stevenson, Claros, Booth, Ivan, Kujabi, Spoony and Cairney would all get a game before him IMO.

I'll reserve judgement on Cairney

Stevenson - lots of effort but produces zip
Sproule - lost his pace and could not cross himself - headless chicken
Claros - good passer but not got Ozzy's drive on the ball
Spoony - did zip last season
Booth - yep would like to see him in midfield but was never played there
Kujabi - nah
Soares - did ok and would have liked to see him get a run with him and Ozzy as CM pairing

Sorry mate cannae agree but it is all about opinions after all

hibsbollah
17-07-2012, 06:48 PM
Unless Fenlon brings in someone significantly better than Osbourne, I fear he has made a massive mistake.

Maybe he's planning to sell Claros and Lewis and play without a midfield? a return to Paatelainens 5-0-5 anyone:dunno:

SMAXXA
17-07-2012, 06:49 PM

Booth, ivan and kujabi don't even play in his position so not a comparison.

Either way he would be on my team sheet before any of those mentioned, cairney aside as don't know enough to judge.

easty
17-07-2012, 06:49 PM
I'll reserve judgement on Cairney

Stevenson - lots of effort but produces zip
Sproule - lost his pace and could not cross himself - headless chicken
Claros - good passer but not got Ozzy's drive on the ball
Spoony - did zip last season
Booth - yep would like to see him in midfield but was never played there
Kujabi - nah

Sorry mate cannae agree but it is all about opinions after all

Osbourne - almost nae effort and produced zip
Osbourne - nae pace and was a headless chicken
Osbourne - good passer but not got Claros composure
Osbourne - did zip last season
Osbourne - would like to see him do well but rarely does
Osbourne - nah

AlbertK86
17-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Osbourne - nah

I'll stand by my thoughts that he was better all round than all of them.

As I said opinions !!!!

Alfred E Newman
17-07-2012, 06:59 PM
Amazed that anyone would be daft enough to pay a fee for the guy. No matter how he plays for Blackpool, he did sod all for us. Good riddance.

easty
17-07-2012, 07:03 PM
I'll stand by my thoughts that he was better all round than all of them.

As I said opinions !!!!

But the fact is, he did not deliver when we needed him last season. He came in and was a player we (or at least I) thought would drive the team on. He didn't. He wasnt effective in stopping the opposition from playing. He might as well have been a mute, he never appeared to talk to anyone through the game. He created very few chances, he scored very few goals. He played a lot of games, but even at the end of the season you had no idea what his role in the team was.

I don't see what we'll be missing with Osbourne out the team. Being a better footballer than the rest of the midfielders we had, if thats what you think, doesnt mean a thing.

Bobby's Cinema
Osbourne - nah
:hilarious beat me to it. Midfield is a serious problem though

scoopyboy
I thought Osbourne was a good player but didn't show it anywhere near enough.

Happy to take the fee and release another wage that can be put to better use.

At Ibrox (0-1) and Parkhead (0-0) he was the best player on the park and its a pity scouts didn't bid for him on the strength of those two games.

If a man can play well at those venues then he should have been dominating games against lesser teams, it never happened.

Monts
17-07-2012, 07:08 PM
Who was better ?

Did Stevenson not win player of the season?

AlbertK86
17-07-2012, 07:09 PM
But the fact is, he did not deliver when we needed him last season. He came in and was a player we (or at least I) thought would drive the team on. He didn't. He wasnt effective in stopping the opposition from playing. He might as well have been a mute, he never appeared to talk to anyone through the game. He created very few chances, he scored very few goals. He played a lot of games, but even at the end of the season you had no idea what his role in the team was.

I don't see what we'll be missing with Osbourne out the team. Being a better footballer than the rest of the midfielders we had, if thats what you think, doesnt mean a thing.

I've never said he was great just the best of a very very bad midfield.

Still think given a consistent run in CM he MAY have done ok for us. He was never a RM player

As somebody said earlier if he had played alongside Brown and Thomson they would have been a great combination

Hibs7
17-07-2012, 07:12 PM
Osbourne runs like a drunk girraffe, no ball control, don't see what he brought to the team, another that went missing at the cup final, so goodbye and good ridance, Soares was even worse and won't be missed.

muirhousehibby
17-07-2012, 07:13 PM
Blackpool got to the Premiership with Charlie Adams, David Vaughn Taylor Fletcher and Keith Southern, all twice the players O'sbourne will ever be.

Blackpool are only going one way now, and it aint up.

Spot on m8, for me ozzy is another Claus Jørgensen m8 plays when he wants to but nowhere near enough to be a first team starter in the spl.:agree:

scoopyboy
17-07-2012, 07:14 PM

He did, and probably deservedly so.

Yet the thing I find funny is everyone was raving about him yet most posters who have put up a team for this season have him on the bench.

DaveF
17-07-2012, 07:17 PM
I gave lewis a lot of stick last season for not offering enough going forward but he was just as bad. He's a box to box midfielder that couldn't get from box to box.

Maybe a player in there somewhere but I've got my doubts.

Totally agree. He does have the potential to be a decent contributor but he hardly ever looked like he could be arsed when he played.

Monts
17-07-2012, 07:19 PM
He did, and probably deservedly so.

Yet the thing I find funny is everyone was raving about him yet most posters who have put up a team for this season have him on the bench.

:agree: Seems he has been given a reputation, and is being judged on that rather than performances.

FWIW I thought Osbourne had potential but he was almost always too slow with what he was trying to do. There was never any urgency in what he did, even when a break was on, and as such slowed down the game and let the opposition settle, losing any advantage we had.

WhileTheChief..
17-07-2012, 07:21 PM
Another also-ran that will quickly be forgotten. Glad to see the clear out continue.

NOLA
17-07-2012, 07:22 PM
Ok.

Pish, IMO.
lol

AlbertK86
17-07-2012, 07:27 PM

Yep but still dinnae rate him these days

Got it for effort ... More of an endeavour award I would suggest !!

DH1875
17-07-2012, 07:36 PM
Booth, ivan and kujabi don't even play in his position so not a comparison.

Either way he would be on my team sheet before any of those mentioned, cairney aside as don't know enough to judge.

True, although we were talking across the midfield. It baffles me the amount of stick Claros takes compared to Osbourne when it clear he's a much better footballer.

muirhousehibby
17-07-2012, 07:38 PM
Brilliant.

Only Hibs.

Last season we had more passengers in midfield than the Rangers bus, ozzy never played enough as we know he could do and that was in a relegation battle. If ozzy going means we can push forward and sign someone more consistant. eg (deano) then i'm all for selling.There is a few still there i'd punt first but looks like we'll be stuck with them for a bit longer.

R'Albin
17-07-2012, 07:39 PM

I think one problem with our team last year is we were never really a settled side. We had some talented individual players that you named above but from the start we were never really settled. Our pre-season was awful with Calderwood and his sweeties, then he left in October, meaning unrest again as we had to get a new manager.

Then once Paddy got in he basically had to sign an entire team of loanees - not with much thought into how to balance out a side and have player complement each other I imagine - just try get as many quality players in as he possibly could in a month.

We never really had a settled team and we were ridiculously strong in some areas compared to others where we were basically not existent. If you look at the squads of teams at the end of last, we were probably just as good if not better than teams like - Dundee United, St Johnstone Motherwell etc. IMO the difference was that they were much more settled and had players that complimented each other - which we didn't.

The optimist in me likes to think that with time to build a team - even if the players aren't of as high quality - with a decent (hopefully :pray:) tactician in charge for an entire season that can sign his own team, with players that play well with each other we can have a decent season.

Booked4Being-Ugly
17-07-2012, 07:48 PM
Shame, the downward spiral continues. There are players that should have been emptied well before Ozzy. Only Hibs could make a **** team worse as long as they're making a fast buck! Very poor indeed.

Mark79
17-07-2012, 07:52 PM
Shame, the downward spiral continues. There are players that should have been emptied well before Ozzy. Only Hibs could make a **** team worse as long as they're making a fast buck! Very poor indeed.

Agree. Think if he goes its more a money thing than footballing.

Eyrie
17-07-2012, 07:53 PM
Osbourne didn't play well enough last season for us to keep him. Happy to see his wage being used to bring in a strong defensive midfielder and the fee is helpful too.

Jim44
17-07-2012, 07:55 PM
I'm clearly in a minority of those who rate Osbourne and am sorry to see him leave. I couldn't help observing, however, that, for a player who is so poorly rated by the majority of punters on this board, his departure has fairly drummed up many pages of discussion. Rarely do departing unwanted players receive so much attention.

AlbertK86
17-07-2012, 08:00 PM
I'm clearly in a minority of those who rate Osbourne and am sorry to see him leave. I couldn't help observing, however, that, for a player who is so poorly rated by the majority of punters on this board, his departure has fairly drummed up many pages of discussion. Rarely do departing unwanted players receive so much attention.

I'm with you. Still hoping he stays

Malthibby
17-07-2012, 08:00 PM
I liked his drunken giraffe impression & rated him, but something didn't quite work & it's difficult to
believe that would change this season. Pity.

Bostonhibby
17-07-2012, 08:05 PM

Coming to this one late and can't go through the whole thread here at the moment, but can someone just confirm if we get money here? if so very happy so long as it is spent on a player..our mediocre midfield from last season is none the worse or better as a result.

scoopyboy
17-07-2012, 08:07 PM
Coming to this one late and can't go through the whole thread here at the moment, but can someone just confirm if we get money here? if so very happy so long as it is spent on a player..our mediocre midfield from last season is none the worse or better as a result.

Sky Sports said a fee had been agreed.

Bostonhibby
17-07-2012, 08:08 PM
Osbourne didn't play well enough last season for us to keep him. Happy to see his wage being used to bring in a strong defensive midfielder and the fee is helpful too.

Bostonhibby
17-07-2012, 08:09 PM
Sky Sports said a fee had been agreed.

I'll get my boots.......... thanks Scoopy.

R'Albin
17-07-2012, 08:09 PM

Undisclosed at the mo.

Has it been announced on our site yet?

SaulGoodman
17-07-2012, 08:15 PM
5 and a half million. It's all going to training facilities and upgrades to the Famous Five stand though :agree:

Cameron1875
17-07-2012, 08:19 PM
If we are going to use the fee to bring someone else in then its a great deal for Hibs. Can anyone who wants Ozzy to stay please tell me what he offers to the team? He may have been better than our other midfielders but that shouldn't really be a compliment.

IIRC he only scored one goal v motherwell, didn't seem to have that much pace, hardly be described as box to box and wasn't much of a ballwinner. His best game seemed to be against Dunfermline at EEP in January but i think any of us could have played against that pars midfield.

Spike Mandela
17-07-2012, 08:20 PM
Last year's midfield was the most pathetic and uninspiring to watch at ER in my lifetime imo. They ALL need replaced even a trier like Stevenson. The replacements need to be better of course and hopefully Pat can provide that and Hibs can find the cash for deals.

If Hibs really want to get close to that top six again, especially in current tight financial times we really need to be brutal and get rid of deadwood who just don't cut the mustard in the SPL.

AlbertK86
17-07-2012, 08:29 PM
If we are going to use the fee to bring someone else in then its a great deal for Hibs. Can anyone who wants Ozzy to stay please tell me what he offers to the team? He may have been better than our other midfielders but that shouldn't really be a compliment.

IIRC he only scored one goal v motherwell, didn't seem to have that much pace, hardly be described as box to box and wasn't much of a ballwinner. His best game seemed to be against Dunfermline at EEP in January but i think any of us could have played against that pars midfield.

In an ideal world none of last years midfield would be in my team

However in the real world we will not be able to replace them all.

I happen to think he has a good football brain, a bit of presence and when in the mood can run with the ball, take players on can pick a decent pass.

Not brilliant but as I said earlier if we are only losing one of our midfield I would rather it wasn't him.

Far rather lose Sproule, Galbraith, Stevenson or Spoony

hibsbollah
17-07-2012, 08:32 PM
Last year's midfield was the most pathetic and uninspiring to watch at ER in my lifetime

Unfortunately it wasnt even the worst midfield in the last 4 seasons. I'll see you last season's feeble foursome and raise you Keenan, Rankin, Morais and O'Brien from Mixus reign.

Our midfield has just been horrible for five years.