PDA

View Full Version : TV Deal & League Sponsors

offshorehibby
17-07-2012, 09:35 AM
Now that some of the dust has settled and we can move forward we need to sort out where we are with the TV & sponsors.

Given my deep mistrust of Doncaster i hope it's not left to him alone to talk to the TV £ Sponsors. he strikes me as the type of character who'd go out of his way to get a crap deal or no deal just so he can turn round and say i told you so. I think he should be shadowed closely by somebody like RP who'd go out his way to thrash out the best deal.

TheDude
17-07-2012, 10:12 AM
The outcome of the Sky/ESPN deal is gonna be interesting.

Do either want to be partly-responsable for the collapse of Scottish football by going back on the agreed deal? While is doesnt make a great deal of business sense to go forward with the prearranged TV deal its PR of the worst kind if they are involved in clubs going to the wall.

Would a boycott of either company get off the ground if they really stick it to us with a new TV deal?

hibbymac
17-07-2012, 11:20 AM
Does TV money actually increase our income??

Looking at last seasons bigger, home attendances

Celtic 12,523 .. 10569 (cup) .. 12161

Rangers 11,380

Hearts 15,013 (New years Derby)

Leaving the Rangers issue to the side, IMO, TV has been responsible in a big way for the state of Scottish football, We have a capacity of over 20,000 at ER and have not got anywhere near filling it.

None of these games above have been a Saturday 3pm KO, all either Sundays, Saturday lunchtime, Mothers day, Easter Sunday etc. All live on TV. Why would anyone want to pay £28, to go out in the freezing cold, change their family arrangements, change work patterns/shifts, when they can sit and watch it on TV.

Even this seasons, ST “incentive” is a free ticket for the OF games (obviously not Rangers now). To me that just sounds like our Board knows we will not “sell out” for these games, so we will just give the tickets away.

I’d be happy if there was not any Scottish football on TV and get the games back to Saturday afternoons 3pm KO. Surely this would give people more incentive to go to the games (patg), buy season tickets and spend more money on food, club shop, programmes etc. whilst helping to build our fan base with more youngsters coming along.

I don’t know how much a TV deal is worth to us, but does it/ will it, compensate for all of the above. :dunno:

GGTTH

Saorsa
17-07-2012, 03:38 PM
Now that some of the dust has settled and we can move forward we need to sort out where we are with the TV & sponsors.

Given my deep mistrust of Doncaster i hope it's not left to him alone to talk to the TV £ Sponsors. he strikes me as the type of character who'd go out of his way to get a crap deal or no deal just so he can turn round and say i told you so. I think he should be shadowed closely by somebody like RP who'd go out his way to thrash out the best deal.He shouldnae be doing anything, he should be punted immediately if no sooner.

down-the-slope
17-07-2012, 04:25 PM
its going to be a case of who blinks first
3 TV deals SKY / ESPN / Overseas (Sport5)

overseas £3 million went with no OF games (so as soon as SPL vote made)

ESPN said they would walk form £5 million Deal if No NewCo in 1st Div

Sky said they would renegotiate if it was Div 3 for NewCo - £8 million deal

so out of the £16 million pa. anything form £0 - £8 million is the starting point...its not going to be pretty.

Also this takes no account of all sponsorship deals (central SPL / and individual club) which are predicated on TV exposure...they will also potentially be binned or renegotiated

greenginger
17-07-2012, 04:39 PM
What deals are due for renewal this season ? I thought things were sorted this season and the new deals started next season.

Are the TV Companies going to break their contracts because there is a bunch of tax dodging crooks missing from our league or was there a get - out clause probably inserted in the event of the uglies sloping off to the English Premiership or the Atlantas League.

down-the-slope
17-07-2012, 04:58 PM
What deals are due for renewal this season ? I thought things were sorted this season and the new deals started next season.

Are the TV Companies going to break their contracts because there is a bunch of tax dodging crooks missing from our league or was there a get - out clause probably inserted in the event of the uglies sloping off to the English Premiership or the Atlantas League.

all major deals for SPL have an 'OF' clause...unpalatable as it is... sponsorship is about numbers and exposure to markets..the OF

All of us who buy goods and services are pasrt of that.

muzzhfc
17-07-2012, 04:59 PM
what will happen is; (if sky & espn walk away)

spl will sign a terrible deal with bbc that will at least help us score some income

or. no tv deal, and crowds swell due to 3pm saturday kick offs again

biffo1875
17-07-2012, 05:35 PM
Does TV money actually increase our income??

Looking at last seasons bigger, home attendances

Celtic 12,523 .. 10569 (cup) .. 12161

Rangers 11,380

Hearts 15,013 (New years Derby)

Leaving the Rangers issue to the side, IMO, TV has been responsible in a big way for the state of Scottish football, We have a capacity of over 20,000 at ER and have not got anywhere near filling it.

None of these games above have been a Saturday 3pm KO, all either Sundays, Saturday lunchtime, Mothers day, Easter Sunday etc. All live on TV. Why would anyone want to pay £28, to go out in the freezing cold, change their family arrangements, change work patterns/shifts, when they can sit and watch it on TV.

Even this seasons, ST “incentive” is a free ticket for the OF games (obviously not Rangers now). To me that just sounds like our Board knows we will not “sell out” for these games, so we will just give the tickets away.

I’d be happy if there was not any Scottish football on TV and get the games back to Saturday afternoons 3pm KO. Surely this would give people more incentive to go to the games (patg), buy season tickets and spend more money on food, club shop, programmes etc. whilst helping to build our fan base with more youngsters coming along.

I don’t know how much a TV deal is worth to us, but does it/ will it, compensate for all of the above. :dunno:

GGTTH
100%AGREE great post said it for a few years know tv has played a big part in dwindling crowds.ie kick off times \prices for live games .dont want to harp on about the crowds we got in mowbray days or when we were in the 1st divison in mcleish days when most of the kick off times were 3 o clock saturdays .i ended up giving up my st up after nearly 20 years 2 years ago because i missed most of our big games that were liveon sundays due to family and work commintments ,getting those games back on saturdays it would help a lot of folk to attend more games i for one would be able to take the kids again so there would be 4 extra bums on seats . how many others in that position ?get it sorted rod lol

greenginger
17-07-2012, 06:36 PM
all major deals for SPL have an 'OF' clause...unpalatable as it is... sponsorship is about numbers and exposure to markets..the OF

All of us who buy goods and services are pasrt of that.

Just noticed a full page add in today's Scotsman for the " Sky Sports Experience " featuring live Scottish Premier League and Scottish Cup action.Add features large picture of Celtic player, no dead huns to be seen so must have been drafted for coming season.

Even Murdoch would'nt run adds to attract new customers with the promise of Scottish Football and then turn round and scrap any deal to show the games.

NAE NOOKIE
17-07-2012, 06:42 PM
It will be interesting to see what SKY / ESPN do.

They are no charity thats for sure ... but to pull the plug on the upcoming deal due to one club being out of the picture sure doesnt show any sort of commitment to Scottish football and that cant be good publicity.

For instance .... It would be a laugh next season if Rooney scores a goal at Old Trafford and in the picture are a wee group of fans holding up a bedsheet with ' SKY CARES ABOUT MONEY NOT FOOTBALL ' written on it :greengrin

I certainly agree that no live games would have certain benefits ... but it is a concern that some sponsors might not be happy if TV does pull out.

There may be a warning here for the lesser clubs in Engerlund too. It is not outwith the bounds of possibility that one day there will be some sort of European league. With Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal and Liverpool out of the picture would SKY / ESPN pump the huge amounts into the EPL they do now without these clubs? ...... I doubt it.

If anybody thinks thats never going to happen think on this. 30 years ago would anybody have thought that Man Utd would remove the club from the F.A. cup in order to play in what was to all intents and purposes a friendly tournament in South America?

There is also no doubt that their decision devalued the F.A. cup as a competition, and from what I can see it has never recovered the mystique it had as a result.

AlbertK86
17-07-2012, 06:49 PM
what will happen is; (if sky & espn walk away)

spl will sign a terrible deal with bbc that will at least help us score some income

or. no tv deal, and crowds swell due to 3pm saturday kick offs again

And we start bring the youth players through

Onion
17-07-2012, 07:04 PM

Given my deep mistrust of Doncaster i hope it's not left to him alone to talk to the TV £ Sponsors. he strikes me as the type of character who'd go out of his way to get a crap deal or no deal just so he can turn round and say i told you so. I think he should be shadowed closely by somebody like RP who'd go out his way to thrash out the best deal.

:agree:Exactly what I was thinking. Doncaster and Regan have trashed the game as a sponsor/media investment - for their own purposes - and should not be anywhere near the negotiating table. We need new people who can talk the game up and play hardball with SKY and anyone else who thinks they'll now get a cheap deal.

ScottB
17-07-2012, 07:14 PM
I really think the deal will carry on as it is for this season, then a new one will be negotiated.

There's no time for Sky / ESPN to fill their schedules, they won't want the bad publicity for the sake of, what is for them, loose change.

JustSimplyHibs
17-07-2012, 07:21 PM
I really think the deal will carry on as it is for this season, then a new one will be negotiated.

There's no time for Sky / ESPN to fill their schedules, they won't want the bad publicity for the sake of, what is for them, loose change.

And on the off chance of the league being a bit more competitive and stadiums fuller, re-negotiations may work in favour of the new league :thumbsup:

ScottB
17-07-2012, 08:15 PM
And on the off chance of the league being a bit more competitive and stadiums fuller, re-negotiations may work in favour of the new league :thumbsup:

Indeed so. If come Christmas, nobody has gone bust, and 3 or 4 clubs are fighting it out for second place, I think the league would be looking pretty healthy, all things considered.

down-the-slope
17-07-2012, 08:30 PM

But a part of deal has already gone :rolleyes: